Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 281301 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #1960 on: July 7, 2020, 09:12:28 pm »
Saw a Yellowhammer last week - could hear its famous call "A little bit of bread and no cheeeeeeeeese" but only found it after looking for a good 20 minutes  :)

Such a sweet looking bird.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1961 on: July 7, 2020, 11:27:23 pm »
Yep you've got to get the pet Robins on mate, that must be brilliant - they are brave little buggers, they get so close to your spade sometimes you are scared to work.

On a number of fishing trips to the Leeds-Liverpool at Lydiate I'd have a Robin that would sit right by me almost the whole day. He'd have more of my maggots than the fish would.

Up that way is also good for spotting the odd Kingfisher too.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1962 on: July 8, 2020, 05:19:02 pm »
First humming bird of the year

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1963 on: July 8, 2020, 05:51:13 pm »
^
I love those little fellas. Obviously, we don't have them over here, but I've seen them in Cozumel, Cuba and Barbados. Beautiful.  8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: July 8, 2020, 07:53:46 pm »
^
I love those little fellas. Obviously, we don't have them over here, but I've seen them in Cozumel, Cuba and Barbados. Beautiful.  8)

Crappy pic though. It's strange we usually get a ton at our house by now, that's really the first we've seen all year round.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1965 on: July 9, 2020, 01:04:00 pm »
Crappy pic though. It's strange we usually get a ton at our house by now, that's really the first we've seen all year round.

I'd love to have a hummingbird in the garden.  ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: July 9, 2020, 01:11:55 pm »
I'd love to have a hummingbird in the garden.  ;D

Here's a better pic :

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1967 on: July 9, 2020, 01:28:14 pm »
Here's a better pic :

He's a gorgeous green colour. You have such exotic birds over there. I've just got sparrows and a massive wood pigeon who I keep thinking is going to shatter the fence.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1968 on: July 9, 2020, 01:45:28 pm »
He's a gorgeous green colour. You have such exotic birds over there. I've just got sparrows and a massive wood pigeon who I keep thinking is going to shatter the fence.

Yeah we're pretty lucky here, we get all sorts hanging around the feeders. Although I can really only have 1 main feeder by my office window as the squirrels are notorious at getting the seed.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1969 on: July 10, 2020, 02:42:13 pm »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1970 on: July 10, 2020, 03:10:28 pm »
Strange bird!

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1971 on: July 10, 2020, 07:07:30 pm »
Strange bird!

Looks like a cross between a hummingbird hawkmoth and a narwhal.

Some great photos there mate - jealous as hell!
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1972 on: July 11, 2020, 09:02:08 pm »
^ Anna's Humming bird right?

I'm in Oregon and They are lucky enough to have loads of Ospreys. Saw this on on the road this week.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1973 on: July 11, 2020, 09:23:17 pm »
Saw a massive heron out on a bike ride today (me, not the heron). Always a great sight to see, was huge.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1974 on: July 11, 2020, 09:58:58 pm »

^ Anna's Humming bird right?

I'm in Oregon and They are lucky enough to have loads of Ospreys. Saw this on on the road this week.

Collins Beach?    :P

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1975 on: July 11, 2020, 10:18:32 pm »
Looks like a cross between a hummingbird hawkmoth and a narwhal.

Some great photos there mate - jealous as hell!

Hahah thanks!

Been enjoying the hummingbirds today. Guess when one finds it the rest follow.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1976 on: July 12, 2020, 02:22:10 pm »
Hahah thanks!

Been enjoying the hummingbirds today. Guess when one finds it the rest follow.
Yeah. I have the same problem with pigeons.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1977 on: July 12, 2020, 09:28:53 pm »

ha ha - yes mate, went for a walk up to the lighthouse - didn't go the nudey beach  ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1978 on: July 13, 2020, 04:41:23 pm »

ha ha - yes mate, went for a walk up to the lighthouse - didn't go the nudey beach  ;D

Son of Spions next holiday?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1979 on: July 13, 2020, 04:59:02 pm »

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1980 on: July 13, 2020, 05:12:15 pm »
A good and bad in the feathered friends department today.

Good, was listening to a little Goldfinch singing its head off for ages whilst sat on the TV aerial this afternoon. Beautiful!  8)

Bad, in that I found a dead chick in the pond earlier on.  :(  Completely bald, eyes closed too, so I assume something's had him out of a nest and dropped him in the water. Anyway, I gave the little guy a dignified burial under a rose bush. RIP little fella.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1981 on: July 13, 2020, 05:58:26 pm »
A good and bad in the feathered friends department today.

Good, was listening to a little Goldfinch singing its head off for ages whilst sat on the TV aerial this afternoon. Beautiful!  8)

Bad, in that I found a dead chick in the pond earlier on.  :(  Completely bald, eyes closed too, so I assume something's had him out of a nest and dropped him in the water. Anyway, I gave the little guy a dignified burial under a rose bush. RIP little fella.

Aww, poor little thing. Every time I cycle to work I pass under some trees in the same place each day and the singing is incredible. I just want to get off my bike sit down and listen to it. As you said, its such a beautiful and calming sound.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1982 on: July 13, 2020, 08:26:41 pm »
  :(  Completely bald, eyes closed too, so I assume something's had him out of a nest and dropped him in the water. Anyway, I gave the little guy a dignified burial under a rose bush. RIP little fella.
How did you manage that with your eyes closed.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1983 on: July 13, 2020, 08:34:45 pm »
How did you manage that with your eyes closed.
:D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1984 on: July 13, 2020, 08:36:01 pm »
Aww, poor little thing. Every time I cycle to work I pass under some trees in the same place each day and the singing is incredible. I just want to get off my bike sit down and listen to it. As you said, its such a beautiful and calming sound.
Birdsong is lovely, isn't it? That little Goldfinch was singing his lungs out.  :)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1985 on: July 13, 2020, 08:47:12 pm »
Yep goldfinches and blackbirds are me faves.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: July 13, 2020, 08:53:17 pm »
Got my bird of prey experience day booked for the end of August. Group reduced from 5 people to 2 and all outdoors now.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1987 on: July 13, 2020, 10:42:26 pm »
Couple more hummingbirds today

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1989 on: July 14, 2020, 01:01:26 am »
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/people/vulture-has-been-seen-roosting-peak-district-near-sheffield-2911940
Bloody hell, he's got a wider wingspan than Batman.  :o

No doubt my twitcher brother will be off to Yorkshire to spot that.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1990 on: July 14, 2020, 09:21:24 pm »
Birdsong is lovely, isn't it? That little Goldfinch was singing his lungs out.  :)
I love Goldfinches as well, there's loads by mine, I love the way they all sing in flight.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1991 on: July 15, 2020, 01:42:10 pm »

Nature is a calm and blessed way of making sense of the worse things about life, I've always found that. Some of my darkest days, I've just took off gone to a quiet corner and let the sounds wash over me and I instantly feel in a better place. We can take it all for granted way too easily, I hope future generations will be able to sample the same relief in their darker times too.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #1992 on: July 16, 2020, 08:45:13 am »
Nature is a calm and blessed way of making sense of the worse things about life, I've always found that. Some of my darkest days, I've just took off gone to a quiet corner and let the sounds wash over me and I instantly feel in a better place. We can take it all for granted way too easily, I hope future generations will be able to sample the same relief in their darker times too.

As long as they don't grow up like their parents.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1993 on: July 16, 2020, 05:24:52 pm »
As long as they don't grow up like their parents.

Lazy so and so's.  ::)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1994 on: July 16, 2020, 06:02:15 pm »
Lazy so and so's.  ::)

Aren't they  >:(

Went for a stroll around Lunt reserve today...

...swifts flying low and seeming to enjoy flying right by me as they dart here and there...

...then it started to rain...

...which made it even more enjoyable  ;D

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: July 16, 2020, 06:06:51 pm »

...swifts flying low and seeming to enjoy flying right by me as they dart here and there...

Love it when the swifts and swallows are around, have to take the bike to Moreton shore always loads around there, say nothing of some of the summer migrants singing away in the bushes. A great time of year for discovering new breeds and songs.  I have the most lovely young Blackbird who comes into the garden, he's a gorgeous bird but not very street wise and way too tame so far.  :)

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #1996 on: July 16, 2020, 07:40:03 pm »

Me & my husband saw a Golden Oriole there last Thursday - I almost fell in The Alt in surprise! Did my research when I got home and apparently Sefton is an accepted site for Golden Oriole sightings but with only 90 spots in the UK per year, I sadly think it was a once in a lifetime thing - the yellow colour was unbelievably vibrant.
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1997 on: July 17, 2020, 07:50:22 am »

I was saying that to the wife the other day, back in the UK the birdsong is tuneful and sweet, over here everything screeches and squawks really loudly. 

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1998 on: July 17, 2020, 08:02:35 am »
Me & my husband saw a Golden Oriole there last Thursday - I almost fell in The Alt in surprise! Did my research when I got home and apparently Sefton is an accepted site for Golden Oriole sightings but with only 90 spots in the UK per year, I sadly think it was a once in a lifetime thing - the yellow colour was unbelievably vibrant.

I'm not saying that you didn't see a Golden Oriole but man that would be an extremely rare sighting - an amazingly rare sighting actually.

Did you manage a photo or do you remember its call?

Could it have possibly been a Yellowhammer?

Can you give the exact location.

Here's the RSPB's map of where to find this rare bird.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #1999 on: July 17, 2020, 08:44:50 am »
I'm not saying that you didn't see a Golden Oriole but man that would be an extremely rare sighting - an amazingly rare sighting actually.

Did you manage a photo or do you remember its call?

Could it have possibly been a Yellowhammer?

Can you give the exact location.

Here's the RSPB's map of where to find this rare bird.

Agreed, however there have been regular sightings in Anglesey and on the Dee Estuary - bright yellow and black wings so it certainly wasn’t a yellowhammer. It was on the path along the River Alt past the pumping station just before the pile of logs - it flew parallel to the riverbank right in front of us and then turned inland. Was too surprised to do anything but point!
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!