Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282321 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #1560 on: December 30, 2019, 10:49:58 pm »
Ive been hearing a few new bird song the past few days.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1561 on: January 16, 2020, 01:05:55 am »
Deffo new bird songs of late .

Usually just before sunrise and sunset.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1562 on: January 16, 2020, 07:52:49 am »

All birds have different songs or calls that are used at certain times. 

What you're hearing now is their mating calls, these are totally different to their "songs" which you hear mainly in the summer.

They also have a "call" like a distress call or to call their mate when they're on eggs and hungry or to let their chicks know they're coming with food.

Blackbirds, robins, thrush and most of the tit family are starting nesting now and on eggs by mid to late February.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1563 on: January 16, 2020, 08:09:07 am »

You don't live somewhere in Transylvania by any chance?
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1564 on: January 16, 2020, 12:45:22 pm »
You don't live somewhere in Transylvania by any chance?

Theres a joke there somewhere which I think I get.   ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1565 on: March 13, 2020, 08:55:19 pm »
Anyone heard about the three hundred Starlings which are said to have fallen out of the sky? Reports that hundreds of birds have been found dead along the road in Anglesey. There are rumours that it has happened before in the same place.  :o

Been solved. Doing a Murmuration and some failed to pull out of the dive and hit the tarmac

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51880855
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1566 on: March 21, 2020, 06:35:54 pm »
04.30 this morning goes out the front door to work and there is this massively loud and clear two note bird call which I have never heard before. It sounded like something massive, but turns out to be a black-capped chickadee - thank god for YouTube, and what a little star.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1567 on: April 1, 2020, 06:05:43 am »
Oh and how they sing .

It's so spiritual and healing.

« Last Edit: April 1, 2020, 06:13:49 am by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1568 on: April 1, 2020, 07:45:35 am »
Been solved. Doing a Murmuration and some failed to pull out of the dive and hit the tarmac

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51880855

Only just seen this, wow that's the harshness of nature I guess.  :(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1569 on: April 8, 2020, 02:21:03 am »
The first owl of the night .

Pink Full Moon too.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1570 on: April 8, 2020, 08:14:34 am »
I can hear a woodpecker at the moment when I sit in our garden. Nearest trees must be about 70 yards away but pretty sure what’s what the noise is!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #1571 on: April 8, 2020, 08:33:25 am »
Saw my first ever Cetti's Warbler yesterday down at Lunt!

Birders know these little buggers are hard to see as they skulk around in the bushes - you hear them (quite a recognisable call) but before you get the chance they've dived back into the bushes.

Well, I heard this guy in the bushes about 5 yards in front of me so I just walked slowly over and just stood still and waited and waited - like a friggin statue - and he popped up right in front of me and sang and then was gone.

Absolute magic  ;D

I can hear a woodpecker at the moment when I sit in our garden. Nearest trees must be about 70 yards away but pretty sure what’s what the noise is!

A little trick with Woodys is to mimic their knocking as closely as you can on a tree or on your fence is it's wooden, and the Woody will think it has a rival in its territory and will come and have a look - so you'll get great views of him.

Just make sure you don't do any sudden movements.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #1572 on: April 8, 2020, 09:02:13 am »
I've noticed the birds singing a lot more recently, think it's because it's so much quieter when you do go outside. Starting to get to know the different songs too. Blackbirds and tits are quite easy to spot song wise. There's a green woodpecker that lives at the back, wrens in the hedge, and an inquisitive robin knocking about. I bought an RSPB book of British Birds last summer, it's quite interesting flicking through and seeing the differences. They're giving me a bit of comfort and calm through the pandemic.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1573 on: April 8, 2020, 09:06:07 am »
We’ve got tons of magpies around us at the moment causing aggro. And a murder of crows! Get some colour from a small flock of parakeets that swoop around in a group making plenty of noise. Heard a bit of a commotion the other day and a few were right outside an upstairs window, resting on the ledge for a bit. I think wildlife in general are probably enjoying the lockdown!

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1574 on: April 8, 2020, 09:21:19 am »
Saw my first ever Cetti's Warbler yesterday down at Lunt!

Birders know these little buggers are hard to see as they skulk around in the bushes - you hear them (quite a recognisable call) but before you get the chance they've dived back into the bushes.

Well, I heard this guy in the bushes about 5 yards in front of me so I just walked slowly over and just stood still and waited and waited - like a friggin statue - and he popped up right in front of me and sang and then was gone.

Absolute magic  ;D

A little trick with Woodys is to mimic their knocking as closely as you can on a tree or on your fence is it's wooden, and the Woody will think it has a rival in its territory and will come and have a look - so you'll get great views of him.

Just make sure you don't do any sudden movements.
That's a rare spot you've made there mate as all warblers are notoriously difficult to spot.

I hear reed warblers a lot when out with the dogs but seeing one is a different thing altogether.

Saw a kingfisher yesterday morning which is quite normal round me as there's so many waterways for then to fish in and the main riverbanks have lovely steep, sandy banks for thei nest sights.

Just waiting for the Martins, Swallows and then the Swifts to arrive and summer really has arrived.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1575 on: April 8, 2020, 11:28:51 am »
That's a rare spot you've made there mate as all warblers are notoriously difficult to spot.

I hear reed warblers a lot when out with the dogs but seeing one is a different thing altogether.

Saw a kingfisher yesterday morning which is quite normal round me as there's so many waterways for then to fish in and the main riverbanks have lovely steep, sandy banks for thei nest sights.

Just waiting for the Martins, Swallows and then the Swifts to arrive and summer really has arrived.

Yeh Reedys are a pain to see.

My advice is to hone in on their song and just stare at the reeds - or nearby bushes/grasses etc - that the song is coming from and eventually you'll see some movement. But best to have some bins with you or a long lens.

Here's a photo of a typical example of a Reedy I was watching who was well-hidden and then another photo when he jumped out of the reeds and onto a branch (my second photo is still cropped and sharpened though  ;D)

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1576 on: April 8, 2020, 11:38:58 am »

Yeh Reedys are a pain to see.

My advice is to hone in on their song and just stare at the reeds - or nearby bushes/grasses etc - that the song is coming from and eventually you'll see some movement. But best to have some bins with you or a long lens.

Here's a photo of a typical example of a Reedy I was watching who was well-hidden and then another photo when he jumped out of the reeds and onto a branch (my second photo is still cropped and sharpened though  ;D)

Wow that's a fab pic you've got mate.  At one time I'd always have my bins with me but since I've started wearing glasses permanently I need some new one specifically for my eyes.

I'm lucky in having lots of reed beds close to my walks so I do see them quite often but I know what I'm looking for.  To anyone else they look like mice running up and down the reeds, till they fly off [emoji16]

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: April 8, 2020, 11:59:06 am »

Wow that's a fab pic you've got mate.  At one time I'd always have my bins with me but since I've started wearing glasses permanently I need some new one specifically for my eyes.

I'm lucky in having lots of reed beds close to my walks so I do see them quite often but I know what I'm looking for.  To anyone else they look like mice running up and down the reeds, till they fly off [emoji16]

Yeh, and their song is amazing too  ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1578 on: April 8, 2020, 12:20:44 pm »
Yeh, and their song is amazing too  ;D
Nobody else agrees but I always think of their song as cheeky monkeys chattering [emoji2356]

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: April 8, 2020, 01:37:48 pm »
Nobody else agrees but I always think of their song as cheeky monkeys chattering [emoji2356]

;D

Hey, you've just reminded me of a joke so I'm off to the joke thread to make more people miserable  ;D

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1580 on: April 8, 2020, 03:26:06 pm »
I've got 2 nest boxes (homemade) in the garden that are both being used by great tits at the moment.

Also got a window feeder that the robins love.  The birdsong has been great since the lockdown started.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: April 8, 2020, 04:01:58 pm »
I've seen a Red Kite hunting from our flat in Surbiton two days running now

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1582 on: April 8, 2020, 04:04:16 pm »
Saw a huge Buzzard out hunting yesterday, gorgeous sight
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1583 on: April 8, 2020, 04:21:43 pm »
Best keep the bunnies in guys [emoji16]

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1584 on: April 8, 2020, 06:41:41 pm »
I've got 2 nest boxes (homemade) in the garden that are both being used by great tits at the moment.

Also got a window feeder that the robins love. The birdsong has been great since the lockdown started.

More people should make an effort at listening to birdsong, one of the great highlights in life especially this time of year.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1585 on: April 8, 2020, 06:47:21 pm »
Just saw a big Turkey Vulture land in the tree outside my window.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1586 on: April 8, 2020, 06:48:30 pm »
Just saw a big Turkey Vulture land in the tree outside my window.

A Vulture? I bet that made the tree shake.  ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: April 8, 2020, 06:59:43 pm »
A Vulture? I bet that made the tree shake.  ;D

yeah they're huge!!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1588 on: April 8, 2020, 07:02:43 pm »
And now a red shouldered hawk in the tree for a second! I guess its the day for big birds

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1589 on: April 8, 2020, 07:04:57 pm »
We’ve got tons of magpies around us at the moment causing aggro. And a murder of crows! Get some colour from a small flock of parakeets that swoop around in a group making plenty of noise. Heard a bit of a commotion the other day and a few were right outside an upstairs window, resting on the ledge for a bit. I think wildlife in general are probably enjoying the lockdown!

Think you'll find its called a Parliament. Not, tons.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1590 on: April 8, 2020, 10:29:27 pm »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1591 on: April 8, 2020, 11:53:38 pm »
 cute!!

my best mate I taught zen to saw two robins lately, she wished on them for good luck

1st was on a tree, she said it was cute but a coincidence

2nd was a steel badge design of a fat robin she found stuck in the bottom of her shoe when she got in

Since then?...

I seen 2 robins lad

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1592 on: April 9, 2020, 07:47:28 am »

Is there a more loathsome bird than the magpie ? When I was  kid in north Liverpool in the 70's there weren't any round here. Would only be when we got the Ribble bus out to Lydiate to fish in the canal that you would maybe see a couple. Proper bird spotters me and my mate were. Started out with other lads who were egg robbers but I just tagged along and hated it really. One lad climbed this huge tree in Freshfield woods to a Kestrel nest once, but to give him some credit he only took one egg and left the rest.

So two of us broke away and formed a bird spotting group instead. Which brings me back to magpies. It was a decent tick in the notepad if you saw one.

But now, jeez you can't move for them. I'm now a train driver daan sarf and they are all I see all day. Horrible birds they are, raiding the nests of smaller species and just being general annoying arseholes And they make a horrible noise too. Rant over.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1593 on: April 9, 2020, 08:07:31 am »
There's a park ten minutes walk from my house called Nonsuch. Last autumn me and the missus were out for an early evening walk and there was two blokes with long photo lenses cameras. Asked them what they were looking at and it turns out it was a pair of Hobby's that had raised two chicks who were now hunting for themselves.

Well, that was a first for me. Stood there for ages to get an occasional spot of the adult birds on the wing. One bloke showed me a photo of the Hobby eating a swift it had caught ! How fast must it be to catch one of them ? Any way they told me they would be flying off to Africa soon (the birds) for the winter.

So I reckon the park distance qualifies as local enough for the lockdown daily walk, I'll be keeping an eye out for their return maybe soon.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1594 on: April 9, 2020, 10:17:56 am »
So far this year, I have had robin, great tit, long-tailed tit, blackbird, house sparrow, greenfinch, dunnock, wren, wood pigeon and magpie in the garden.

On my daily walk, I have seen buzzard, starling, goldfinch, greenfinch, goldcrest, treecreeper, robin, blackbird, great tit, blue tit and song thrush.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1595 on: April 9, 2020, 12:10:05 pm »
So far this year, I have had robin, great tit, long-tailed tit, blackbird, house sparrow, greenfinch, dunnock, wren, wood pigeon and magpie in the garden.

On my daily walk, I have seen buzzard, starling, goldfinch, greenfinch, goldcrest, treecreeper, robin, blackbird, great tit, blue tit and song thrush.

The only one of those that you get in your garden that I don’t get in my mine is greenfinch. In fact I don’t see them anywhere at all in my area and it’s quite green around here. I think they are definitely a bird in decline. Loads of goldfinches though.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: April 9, 2020, 12:44:09 pm »
The only one of those that you get in your garden that I don’t get in my mine is greenfinch. In fact I don’t see them anywhere at all in my area and it’s quite green around here. I think they are definitely a bird in decline. Loads of goldfinches though.

Yep, they are in decline, and its mainly down to this:

Greenfinches and Trichomonosis

Perhaps one of the least widely understood mechanisms of population change is the role that disease plays. An important part of population dynamics strategy is to increase our understanding of the impact that diseases can have.

Work by the BTO in collaboration with colleagues from the Institute of Zoology through the Garden Bird Health initiative has shown just how important these can be (Robinson et al. 2010). In 2005, we started to receive the first reports of a new disease that seemed to affect particularly Greenfinches but also Chaffinches. Trichomonosis is a common disease in pigeons and doves but seems to have ‘jumped’ species to devastating effect. We combined data from Garden BirdWatch volunteers and the Breeding Bird Survey to show that trichomonosis was responsible for the death of perhaps half a million birds in 2006 alone. Since then BBS has shown that the Greenfinch population has continued to decline even further (see trend). The disease is spread by saliva from infected individuals but maintaining good garden hygiene can help.

https://www.bto.org/our-science/population-dynamics/greenfinches-and-trichomonosis

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1597 on: April 9, 2020, 01:01:40 pm »
Ta. Yeah that’s sad. Not just humans suffering then.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1598 on: April 9, 2020, 01:07:36 pm »
Yep, they are in decline, and its mainly down to this:

Greenfinches and Trichomonosis

Perhaps one of the least widely understood mechanisms of population change is the role that disease plays. An important part of population dynamics strategy is to increase our understanding of the impact that diseases can have.

Work by the BTO in collaboration with colleagues from the Institute of Zoology through the Garden Bird Health initiative has shown just how important these can be (Robinson et al. 2010). In 2005, we started to receive the first reports of a new disease that seemed to affect particularly Greenfinches but also Chaffinches. Trichomonosis is a common disease in pigeons and doves but seems to have ‘jumped’ species to devastating effect. We combined data from Garden BirdWatch volunteers and the Breeding Bird Survey to show that trichomonosis was responsible for the death of perhaps half a million birds in 2006 alone. Since then BBS has shown that the Greenfinch population has continued to decline even further (see trend). The disease is spread by saliva from infected individuals but maintaining good garden hygiene can help.

https://www.bto.org/our-science/population-dynamics/greenfinches-and-trichomonosis

It has really decimated the Greenfinches, we used to get loads in our old place but then they stopped coming. I used to do the BTO Bird Garden Watch, and it really became a hot topic at the time as we would get some of the reports the BTO did on the health of individual birds. The first report was really harrowing as that disease really makes the bird suffer.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1599 on: April 9, 2020, 01:13:57 pm »
Is there a more loathsome bird than the magpie ? When I was  kid in north Liverpool in the 70's there weren't any round here. Would only be when we got the Ribble bus out to Lydiate to fish in the canal that you would maybe see a couple. Proper bird spotters me and my mate were. Started out with other lads who were egg robbers but I just tagged along and hated it really. One lad climbed this huge tree in Freshfield woods to a Kestrel nest once, but to give him some credit he only took one egg and left the rest.

So two of us broke away and formed a bird spotting group instead. Which brings me back to magpies. It was a decent tick in the notepad if you saw one.

But now, jeez you can't move for them. I'm now a train driver daan sarf and they are all I see all day. Horrible birds they are, raiding the nests of smaller species and just being general annoying arseholes And they make a horrible noise too. Rant over.

I don't like Magpies either, though they are highly intelligent birds. There used to be a running battle between our Blackbirds and the Magpies in our old place, the Blackbirds would get so stressed at nesting time and just screech the whole time. We even found a couple of empty eggs in the garden once and we swore it was the Magpies, although it could have been a cat maybe.