Author Topic: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread (Not A Home Nation)  (Read 243215 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread (Not A Home Nation)
« Reply #2720 on: November 16, 2018, 02:47:41 pm »
No problem, it's just he is a complete babbling idiot yet BBC NI seemed (for a while at least) intent on giving him a platform even though he's unelected and represents no-one.

To his credit, he did admit his mistake, but he really must have been looking hard to be offended..... oh well!
probably trying to make a name for himself

i live in the north myself now but never heard of him

i actually turned down a free ticket. ive a lot on in november but it still tells its own story
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2721 on: November 16, 2018, 10:21:05 pm »
These clowns sacked yet? Including  Delaney?

oh so you think another manager can do something with the dross we have at out disposal these days?

we have an awful squad of players. no creativity and no goal scorer. most of our players either play in the championship or the lower end of the premiership.

and people think replacing the manager will make a difference.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Djimothy

• Kopite
« Reply #2723 on: November 21, 2018, 10:45:15 am »
Right decision, but the only reason it's happened is because John Delaney has been coming under criticism.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2725 on: November 21, 2018, 11:07:43 am »
wondered why RAWK was down there for a couple of minutes.

time to release the shackles and let our boys play with freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
bollocks

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2726 on: November 21, 2018, 11:24:47 am »
There's only one outstanding candidate for me. He's got a proven track record of getting the most out of limited players, has coached here so he knows the league, and he's got an international record that can't be bettered.

Spoiler

[close]

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2727 on: November 21, 2018, 11:30:41 am »
The Irish had their best successes with Jack Charlton, a manager who did his best work in the lower leagues with limited players. Rather than going for a headline name, they should go for someone of this ilk. Chris Houghton if they could get him would be a great fit.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2728 on: November 21, 2018, 11:38:48 am »
The Irish had their best successes with Jack Charlton, a manager who did his best work in the lower leagues with limited players.

Lower league players like McGrath, Whelan, Staunton, Moran, Aldridge, Bonner, Sheedy, Lawrenson, Quinn and Brady?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2729 on: November 21, 2018, 12:34:22 pm »
The Irish had their best successes with Jack Charlton, a manager who did his best work in the lower leagues with limited players. Rather than going for a headline name, they should go for someone of this ilk. Chris Houghton if they could get him would be a great fit.
would prefer Ray Hughton myself

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2731 on: November 21, 2018, 01:11:54 pm »
Lower league players like McGrath, Whelan, Staunton, Moran, Aldridge, Bonner, Sheedy, Lawrenson, Quinn and Brady?

;D

People really don't think before they post do they?!

Take nothing away from the achievements of Jack, but he had some absolutely brilliant players at his disposal.

Many even argue we should have done better than we did with that generation of players.....anyway I digress.

Worrying times for us.  But its been building for a long long time now.  And it just feels like the warning signs have been constantly ignored.  I just don't see a way out of this anytime in the near future.

Rebuilding will take time.  If the FAI actually decide to bloody start it properly at all

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2732 on: November 21, 2018, 01:29:01 pm »

;D

People really don't think before they post do they?!

I think you have both missed the point Mr Grumpy was making. He was talking about managing clubs in lower leagues with limited players prior to taking the Ireland job.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2733 on: November 21, 2018, 02:06:46 pm »
Justice for the 96!

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #2734 on: November 21, 2018, 02:17:12 pm »
Was at the NI game, go to most the home games and it was up there with peak utter shit Trap performance's, probably worse. O'neill & Keane are two absolute war dogs and it's obvious the players have had enough playing shite football under what seams to be a dysfunctional coaching set up. From the Rice debacle (wouldn't be surprised if he declares for Ireland with them two out of the way) to abusing Johnny Walters, Keane being a prick to the players and O'neill allowing him to be.

Who in their right fucking mind would want to play under those two, watching the football they have the team playing. ROBBIE BRADY IS NOT A NUMBER 10 YOU FUCKS. Two out of touch shitehawks playing farmers league Sunday shit on a stick football, good riddance.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2735 on: November 21, 2018, 02:26:59 pm »
I think you have both missed the point Mr Grumpy was making. He was talking about managing clubs in lower leagues with limited players prior to taking the Ireland job.

So in order to manage an international team full of players from top English clubs, you have to have lower league experience?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2736 on: November 21, 2018, 02:39:26 pm »
Was at the NI game, go to most the home games and it was up there with peak utter shit Trap performance's, probably worse. O'neill & Keane are two absolute war dogs and it's obvious the players have had enough playing shite football under what seams to be a dysfunctional coaching set up. From the Rice debacle (wouldn't be surprised if he declares for Ireland with them two out of the way) to abusing Johnny Walters, Keane being a prick to the players and O'neill allowing him to be.

Who in their right fucking mind would want to play under those two, watching the football they have the team playing. ROBBIE BRADY IS NOT A NUMBER 10 YOU FUCKS. Two out of touch shitehawks playing farmers league Sunday shit on a stick football, good riddance.

sing it brother!

id say most of the squad is fucking delighted this morning

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2737 on: November 21, 2018, 02:57:15 pm »
Stephen Kenny is the only man for the job.

P.S. I'm over the moon, Delaney next to fuck off.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2738 on: November 21, 2018, 03:33:21 pm »
You just beat the All Blacks it's not all bad

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #2739 on: November 21, 2018, 04:05:48 pm »
Stephen Kenny is the only man for the job.

P.S. I'm over the moon, Delaney next to fuck off.

I'd be all for Kenny. Plays good football and has a great LOI background. I wouldn't want Mick as he's had his crack of the whip already. I just hope we don't look towards the failed fat corrupt bastard across the water. Or any of the merry go round managers currently out of work.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2740 on: November 21, 2018, 04:34:27 pm »
I'd be all for Kenny. Plays good football and has a great LOI background. I wouldn't want Mick as he's had his crack of the whip already. I just hope we don't look towards the failed fat corrupt bastard across the water. Or any of the merry go round managers currently out of work.
na I cant see Gazza getting it, even the FAI aren't that thick

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2741 on: November 21, 2018, 05:18:41 pm »
That team needs more than O'Neil and Keane fucked off.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2742 on: November 21, 2018, 05:29:29 pm »
That team needs more than O'Neil and Keane fucked off.

Agree, but it's a start at least. If we get Fat Sam, Moyes or Bruce I'll be depressed though.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2743 on: November 21, 2018, 09:16:34 pm »
Kenny for me, it's the right choice - like Kerr was at the time btw.  Want someone LOI based.  Sick of all the Declan Rice/Jack Grealish/Johnathon Walters/Roy Keane/Tony O Donaghue shite.  Give it to Kenny, whoever wants a call up can come, otherwise Irish based lads get a go.  We have to commit to this development plan, we're fucked either way.  I'd take the years in the wilderness if we get an identity with a bit of footballing quality and backbone back eventually.  Kenny wants to play good football, and likes winning. More importantly he's not a celebrity double act.  I'm up for that. 

Actually just read further up - Flaccid said it better.

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2744 on: November 21, 2018, 10:43:08 pm »

You miss my point. In Jack Charltons time, he was able to call on some really good players, but his teams were always padded out with mediocre lower league types.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2745 on: November 21, 2018, 10:54:27 pm »
You miss my point. In Jack Charltons time, he was able to call on some really good players, but his teams were always padded out with mediocre lower league types.

Give me some examples. Like in Italia 90 or the 88 Euros, give me some examples of teams that were padded out with mediocre lower league types.

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2746 on: November 21, 2018, 11:53:32 pm »
The USA 90 squad is an obvious example

The likes of Roy Keane, Dennis Irwin and Aldo were certainly fit to grace any world cup, but would  Alan Kelly, Tommy Coyne or Tony Cascarino have got near a World Cup squad without Irish ancestors (or in Cascarino’s case imagined Irish ancestors)?

This comment is not meant to denigrate the Irish team or the Irish in any way. For a country of around 4 million with not much of a football league to grace the Italia 90 and USA 94 was a huge achievement.
Justice for the 96!

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2747 on: November 22, 2018, 12:02:14 am »
So in order to manage an international team full of players from top English clubs, you have to have lower league experience?

Nope, it’s about knowing how to get the most out of limited players and when you do have better players convincing them about the poject.
Justice for the 96!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2748 on: November 22, 2018, 08:56:30 am »

The likes of Roy Keane, Dennis Irwin and Aldo were certainly fit to grace any world cup, but would  Alan Kelly, Tommy Coyne or Tony Cascarino have got near a World Cup squad without Irish ancestors (or in Cascarino’s case imagined Irish ancestors)?

This comment is not meant to denigrate the Irish team or the Irish in any way. For a country of around 4 million with not much of a football league to grace the Italia 90 and USA 94 was a huge achievement.
Give me some examples. Like in Italia 90 or the 88 Euros, give me some examples of teams that were padded out with mediocre lower league types.

you do know at USA 94 Cascarino was playing for Chelsea who were in the top flight, he also played in the FA cup final

Alan Kelly was playing for Sheffield united who were relegated that season but had been in the top flight for 4 years

there were also many top flight players who hardly got a kick on that squad in usa 94, Moran, Kernaghan, whelan to name 3

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2749 on: November 22, 2018, 09:54:22 am »

You said teams, not squads.

Here's the team for the Italy game.

Packie Bonner, Chris Morris, Steve Staunton, Mick McCarthy (capt), Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge (John Sheridan 78'), Niall Quinn (Tony Cascarino 54').

Could you please identify the mediocre lower league types.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2750 on: November 22, 2018, 09:57:18 am »
I'm not picking a fight for the sake of it, by the way, this is a crucial point in how the ROI are where they are now. In the Charlton era, we had teams full of top flight players playing at the highest level. Now, we really don't. That may be because Irish players are now competing against the world, as against just the UK.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2751 on: November 22, 2018, 10:39:03 am »
That may be true, but the last squad had players from Everton, Burnley x 3, Brighton, Wolves, Fulham from the PL along with Boro, Sheff Utd x 2, Derby in the top 6 of the c'ship.  It's not exactly the Dog & Duck standard that we've been lead to believe.

But really, I want to see a team that's properly prepared and wants to play progressive football. That means a manager and coaching staff that works on the training ground on stuff other than 'shape', is prepared to play to feet and trust their players can do things other than hit the channels, as well as a coaching staff that scouts their opponents so that his own team know what to expect and how to deal with it. That Liam Mackey story about finding his way to a room beside the Irish dressing room in Lisbon and hearing McCarthy telling them 'Watch out for their no. 10' (Rui bloody Costa) being the extent of the opposition analysis won't cut the mustard anymore.

It's embarrassing how badly the football team is prepared compared to the rugby one.  The Dublin GAA team are more professional than them too.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2752 on: November 22, 2018, 10:46:16 am »

It's embarrassing how badly the football team is prepared compared to the rugby one.  The Dublin GAA team are more professional than them too.
GAA- amateur organisation run by pros

FAI- professional organisation run by amateurs

the Rui costa thing, if you give a number for a player to watch its easier, though you would need to be living in a cave to not know who rui costa is

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2753 on: November 22, 2018, 12:14:34 pm »
Throw money at Rafa.

You never know.

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2754 on: November 22, 2018, 12:42:37 pm »
Throw money at Rafa.

You never know.
I  think the fans are bored of boring football and want to be entertained so that could be an issue there

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2755 on: November 22, 2018, 01:34:06 pm »
I remember that side getting to USA 94 and a few of my mates went over there and were not impressed by the footy they played. The problem I had is that with the players at the time they had they could/should have been playing better football. It was partially successful but could have been much better I think as well as laying down a blueprint for the future with regards to playing style etc. I do not believe that O'Neill/Keane had particularly limited players so therefore must play the way they did, its the way they chose to play, risk free, Allardyce football.

Offline Djimothy

• Kopite
« Reply #2756 on: November 22, 2018, 02:39:43 pm »
Looks like it's going to be Big Mick.

@offtheball

BREAKING: It’s believed negotiations between Mick McCarthy and the FAI over the vacant Republic of Ireland manager’s job could successfully conclude over the weekend. McCarthy is in line to assume the position for a second time.

3:30 PM - 22 Nov 2018

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2757 on: November 22, 2018, 02:56:31 pm »
Well at least Delaney didn't rush in and appoint one of his old mates, and instead had an open and transparent interview process where all the candidates were assessed properly before he took time to contemplate his decision.

And Robbie Keane as his assistant, no doubt. I think it was his lengthy coaching CV that won him that role.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2758 on: November 22, 2018, 02:58:52 pm »
Looks like it's going to be Big Mick.

@offtheball

BREAKING: It’s believed negotiations between Mick McCarthy and the FAI over the vacant Republic of Ireland manager’s job could successfully conclude over the weekend. McCarthy is in line to assume the position for a second time.

3:30 PM - 22 Nov 2018
happy days

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2759 on: November 22, 2018, 02:59:24 pm »
Who will he play in the hole?