Author Topic: David Moores  (Read 123320 times)

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
Re: David Moores
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 12:03:02 pm »
I feel sorry for the bloke.

He has made a huge mistake and will have to live with it for the rest of his life.

He is solely responsible, which probably makes his regret even worse. I would never condone hounding him, but he does have a lot of accountablilty for selling to those greedy bastards. I don't believe that he doesn't care, and I think its naive to suggest that "he is loaded so he doesn't care", he has done so much for the club over the years and it must be heartbreaking for him to see what has happened since he left.

It would be nice to hear him speak out and publicly share his views on what is happening with us.

Well there is only 1 guy who can enlighten us regarding this. Step forward David Moores.
Or stay in the shadows forever with your guilt?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline goertye

• cowson...
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 12:39:18 pm »
Why doesn't moores, and possibly purslow join up with share liverpool and buy out gillette, acording to a couple of posts last week gillette is supposed to be teetering, i'm sure they could muster 200mil between them, if they love liverpool so much?. would go some way to redeaming himself and might make him feel a bit better

Offline nm83

• Kopite
  • Minister of Sarcasm
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 12:44:10 pm »
look forward to seeing if he responds ...
YNWA

Offline charlie farley

• UGGly Feet
  • Kopite
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 12:46:51 pm »
Well done lads.  Nice try.

I fucking hate DM, but feel sorry for him at the same time...
Suarez is going to nutmeg the fuck out of ya!!!!

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 12:50:01 pm »
well done...lets hope DM replies back
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 12:54:36 pm »
Well in to the both you for your attempts at requesting that DM at least acknowledge your questions and requests and that you kept it civil.

I hope that we will all get some response from him after this but I think he might've already given his account prior to this.

Well done to both of you though and I really hope we get some sort of response and I wouldn't never suggest this was a waste of time.

If he wasn't already he must now certainly be aware of how his judgement and selection has affected so many.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 01:11:27 pm »
He's a peripheral figure now, as inert as when he was in charge. It's unrealistic to expect him to come out in support of anything anti G&H simply because :

a)It won't change much.
b)It will reflect (more) badly on him for choosing them in the first place.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 01:12:20 pm »
Do you reckon the buyout had any gagging clauses? Not sure if this is commonplace and if so do they have a set period (eg 3yrs)?

I do feel sorry for the fella in a way - he may have thought he had two options 1)Dubai pile on debt with escape strategy 2) Yanks no debt and successful 'franchises' in america

Now we know that is horrific oversight but he personally doesnt do the research into the owners - I'm 100% sure someone (Parry??) will have done this for him.

Look forward to hear what he's got to say.

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 01:19:18 pm »
great effort lads, something needs to be done.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2010, 01:21:16 pm »
[quote author=richiedouglas link=topic=252616.msg6531695#msg6531695 date=1263820340

Now we know that is horrific oversight but he personally doesnt do the research into the owners - I'm 100% sure someone (Parry??) will have done this for him.

Look forward to hear what he's got to say.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Never forget the part played in this by his 'advisor' Parry. Equally silent on the matter.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 01:59:44 pm »
Anything back from him yet?

Offline MattLFC08

• Forgetful nose poker-inner - Who Must Try Harder!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2010, 02:49:33 pm »
Anything back from him yet?

I would be interested to know also.!
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Bill Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2010, 06:34:17 pm »
Enormous respect for the lads. 

But the saying "Casting pearls before swine" springs to mind.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2010, 06:54:18 pm »
very true Maggie but its good to see pro active action.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2010, 07:12:00 pm »
Quite right Bill he don't give a shit, none of this hurts him like us real fans anyway, he wasn't duped like the rest of us and it was a disgrace he stood down when we all were pointing for new investment and saying he should sell, infact; what have the Moores family done for Liverpool Football Club at all?

If your going to post unadulterated hate shite, at least do some research and get your facts right.

1. David Moores is a real fan and has been to more games that most of you "post-Istanbul" glory seekers.
2. No matter who he sold to (and it was only the fans pressure that made him sell) - he has NO CONTROL WHATSOEVER after he sold.
3. Without the Moores family we'd have lost Shanks before he worked his magic

FACTS - try some
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »
Moores realises he has made a huge mistake and one which he has to live with. I don't believe the tagline he's loaded so he doesn't care...in fact I believe he is a 'real fan'

Well done to the lads who did this, its nice to see someone proactively trying to achive something positive for our club in these troubled times.

It may work/it may not but at least you tried and for that I applaud you  :wellin
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2010, 07:18:51 pm »
so he has been to more games than most of us. well, owning the club kind of has that advantage. as for the " he couldnt do owt after he sold us shit"  is fucking pathetic. maybe if he googled our prospective owners at the time he would have seen what a fucking couple of c*nts they were so we wouldnt have to be asking him questions after he shafted us for a few more millions.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Roman Maroney

• Main Stander
  • They seek him ere.....
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2010, 07:27:15 pm »
If your going to post unadulterated hate shite, at least do some research and get your facts right.

1. David Moores is a real fan and has been to more games that most of you "post-Istanbul" glory seekers.
2. No matter who he sold to (and it was only the fans pressure that made him sell) - he has NO CONTROL WHATSOEVER after he sold.

FACTS - try some

You are obviously a family friend (or want to be)

Moores was a disaster.  He ran the club for a long time and never brought the club forward anywhere near as far as many of its peers (some weren't even peers when he took over).  He also brought in a very poor managing director in Rick Parry who appears to have been a glorified mid level accountant.  The nail in the coffin is the fact that after a long and laborious search for a buyer, he managed to sell to a couple of leveraged buy-out merchants who were destined from day one to screw the club over.

" would rather have a beer with someone who was looking for the truth than with someone who had found it...." CB 2008

hoonin

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »

FACTS - try some

You talk too much sense.

Good to see you about again :)

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2010, 07:31:50 pm »
Well done lads. Good to see the effort being made from our support.
Robbie Fowler is God

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2010, 07:31:54 pm »
personally i dont care if you are a mod.  talking sense? are you mad. would you care to quantify your post? without banning me tho :)

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2010, 07:35:10 pm »
so he has been to more games than most of us. well, owning the club kind of has that advantage. as for the " he couldnt do owt after he sold us shit"  is fucking pathetic. maybe if he googled our prospective owners at the time he would have seen what a fucking couple of c*nts they were so we wouldnt have to be asking him questions after he shafted us for a few more millions.
It was a widely held belief among so called experts that Gillette was going to be the one who had the financial savvy and track record of building up sports businesses in America. He brought Hicks along because he couldn't finance it himself
We now know while what he does might work in America, but it sure don't here.
DM might be guilty of a lot of things but I am sure he was conned along with the rest of us. And badly advised to boot.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2010, 07:37:46 pm »
i dont deny he was badly advised. but it doesnt take bill gates to do a basic search on the pricks. he sold out for an extra 500 a share.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2010, 07:38:46 pm »
Alf, good on you.

However, it's not very clear from the OP what exactly you've asked Moores to do ... only the following:

"break his silence"
"stand up and rally support"
"stand up and join the fight to help the club"

Were you more specific when you spoke to him? What are you actually hoping he will do/say?

All the best.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2010, 07:40:23 pm »
Moores also admitted he had never met Tom Hicks until the end and took Gillette's word for it that he was worth taking on board.

“I didn't know Hicks very well, I knew George a lot better.

“George came across as a bubbly, enthusiastic man who loves his sport and is knowledgeable about it.

“But he didn't have the money to do the deal without bringing someone else on board.

“It was really right at the end that I met Tom Hicks so I didn't really get a chance to get to know him but I took George's word for it.

“It was in total good faith. I believed these fellas, I believed everything they said to me and they said it all again to the fans via the media and you can judge for yourselves whether they kept their promises.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2008/04/12/i-feel-shell-shocked-damage-being-doneat-all-the-to-the-club-100252-20754770/
------------------
Unbelievably thick. Playing russian roulette with a football club.

And look what its costing us today.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2010, 07:42:50 pm »
yup. my babysitter also recommended josef fritzl to look after my kids.

Offline sempi

• Kopite
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2010, 07:43:46 pm »
When you sell your house, there is nothing you can do if they turn into a bombdy

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2010, 07:47:50 pm »
When you sell your house, there is nothing you can do if they turn into a bombdy
Nonsense, all he had to do was a bit of research into Hicks in particular, Im sure the names Corinthians and Texas Rangers would have come up
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline sempi

• Kopite
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2010, 07:51:58 pm »
Nonsense, all he had to do was a bit of research into Hicks in particular, Im sure the names Corinthians and Texas Rangers would have come up
Yeah, but then we go back to DM's advisors BTW Anyone googling  Gand H before Liverpool would have two successful business men WHO did build up sports stadia. The Stanley cup anyone?

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2010, 07:54:49 pm »
lol sempi. speak to Lyndsey. then again speak to many Rawkites who looked into them before the buyout. they were not and are not our saviours.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2010, 08:31:03 pm »
Well, everyone here seems to be of the agreement that David Moores ran the club ineptly simply because he has no actual business acumen at all.  Hence the cries to get him out and get someone who knows what the hell they are doing were rampant across this and virtually every other Liverpool forum.

And all of a sudden you expect him to have somehow aqcuired the business knowledge to tell his very expensive, experienced, financial advisors that they are wrong and we should look into the shysters some more. Going directly against the man he had specifically running the club for years.

David Mores (IMO) is guilty of nothing more than incredible naivety and being rich and left in charge of something he hadn't a clue how to run properly. Compounded that he loved what he had, and the fact he had advisors that had conflicting interests on what was best for them and best for the club.

I can't bring myself to hate Moores, I actually pity him.

I wish he would speak out and tell everyone exactly what happened and why. Maybe he has a confidentiality clause imposed. I hope so as otherwise he's in a good position to make the large proportion of our fans wake up and see whats happening to the clove they purport to love.

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2010, 08:37:16 pm »
For me this man is the key to getting the yanks out.

Well done lads for trying. Hope Moores is willing to at least try and make a difference.

Why, has he a spare 700 million in the bank?

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2010, 08:38:24 pm »
Well, everyone here seems to be of the agreement that David Moores ran the club ineptly simply because he has no actual business acumen at all.  Hence the cries to get him out and get someone who knows what the hell they are doing were rampant across this and virtually every other Liverpool forum.

And all of a sudden you expect him to have somehow aqcuired the business knowledge to tell his very expensive, experienced, financial advisors that they are wrong and we should look into the shysters some more. Going directly against the man he had specifically running the club for years.

David Mores (IMO) is guilty of nothing more than incredible naivety and being rich and left in charge of something he hadn't a clue how to run properly. Compounded that he loved what he had, and the fact he had advisors that had conflicting interests on what was best for them and best for the club.

I can't bring myself to hate Moores, I actually pity him.

I wish he would speak out and tell everyone exactly what happened and why. Maybe he has a confidentiality clause imposed. I hope so as otherwise he's in a good position to make the large proportion of our fans wake up and see whats happening to the clove they purport to love.

This.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline sempi

• Kopite
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2010, 08:45:05 pm »
lol sempi. speak to Lyndsey. then again speak to many Rawkites who looked into them before the buyout. they were not and are not our saviours.
I can remember on 5 Live World Football phone in, their American correspondent saying something along the lines of Gillette brings a lot of savvy to running sports franchises (His words not mine) . He was interested in Aston Villa at the time, but Lerner beat him to it .
Fuck it DAVID MOORES HOY! stand up and defend youself!!!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:47:33 pm by sempi »

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »

Everyone knows what happened, DIC where going to buy us, Gillet with Hicks on board came in at the last minute and offered 1,000 a share more. Moores asked DIC for more time, they declined.

Gillet and Hicks then promised Moores they would definatley fund and build a new stadium and the purchase was with no debt on the club. They also offered every exsisting sharholder a free ST for life in the new stadium.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read that the building of a new stadium was conditional on the selling of Moores shares, but only Moore will know the finner details? ??? ???, so there may some legal recourse if Moores has the bollocks ??? ??? ??? ???

The Amercians lied and the fans are guilty of lapping it up, but at the end of the day, as Parry said, you only sell the family silver once. Due dillegance by Parry on behalf of Moores would have meant that Moores could have seen the yanks for the charletans that they are, as would 6 hours on Google.

But there are 80 million reasons why Moores had other things on his mind.

There is a clip of the great Bob Paisley in the directors box and there is a young pissed up David Moores looking utterly fucking clueless behind him, not much has changed in 25 years.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:02 pm »

FACTS - try some

1. Didnt he get a seat as part of his deal with the yanks?
2. Control, no...but an influential voice, yes....but I suppose its not nice to say bad things to people who gave you a good few bank notes
3. Under Moore Liverpool never won the league....mmh?
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2010, 10:22:59 pm »
I'll call Moores all the names under the sun for the slop bucket of thick pigshit he is, but I'll spare him this accusation at least - don't think it was the overriding factor not by a long shot.

Thing is is, aided and abetted by his equally clueless sidekick Rick the beancounter, he made a serious error in judgement when it came to dealing with the Dubai consortium. The "mental aberration" as that DIC rep referred to it as. People assume a Google check (as if Moores does such things) would have revealed all, when in fact all he needed to do was phone up Doug Ellis for his take on Gillett, and then used a modicum of sense when it came to this late entry partner Hicks ("the money") and have him checked out. There's simply no excusing the ineptitude, the stupidity, christ there's not a word invented that covers what he didor rather, didn't do. Lifetime Achievement from the Darwin Award Association perhaps?

Anyway, my point or rather my opinion, is that Moores panicked, and given Parry had been briefing the media, the fans etc. on this brave new world under our soon-to-be Dubai owners, when after so long courting investment and finally setting this deal up, they feared a massive backlash from fans if they pulled back from selling the club. And so in their eyes, it didn't matter who they sold it to at this point. The reanimated corpses of Idi Amin and Pol Pot could have fetched up together in L4 with a proposal and Moores would have accepted it. Psychologically he'd already sold the club, and a deal, any deal needed to be put through.

I think Gillett and Hicks saw this and said (i.e. lied) whatever they thought Moores wanted to hear. And I suppose the extra 80 million didn't exactly make DM step back from the brink, although to be fair, there were other large shareholders driving for more cash in their pockets, notably Granada. I guess I'm particularly bitter about the whole affair - as a shareholder, inherited from my old man, I would have liked to keep it and pass it on to my own kid when the time came, and the compulsory purchase (even with lifetime tickets) really fucked me off on principle, especially by these two inbred bastards with no clue as to what the club meant.

As for Moores, as I said earlier, he's had plenty of opportunity to speak up. Gagging order? He could easily counter-sue any case brought for going public, given the lies over investment, regeneration and stadium. Speaking up and making a difference? In your dreams. He had a long time to do that whilst he remained on the board - could have acted as a thorn in the Yanks' side, him and Parry playing each of H&G off against the other when it came to votes. He could have also brought pressure to bear on the whole refinance issue. But he was kept/bought off by his worthless "Lifetime Honorary President title", and then like the fucking coward he is, quietly resigned from the board when he could no longer keep his old servant in his job.

So, face facts, there's absolutely no way now he'll speak out now, rallying call or any such thing. He just wants a quiet life, to reflect upon and hopefully rue his actions. Let him have it, and with it, his shame at ruining the club he supports, the care of which he was entrusted with by unfortunate accident of birth.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2010, 11:02:32 pm »
I'm pretty much aware of whats perceived to have gone on. Although I dont agree its as simple as you make out. I'm not saying Moores has no responsibility at all in this, just that his lack of business acumen or sense, supidity on relying on a snake like Parry had a massive input into his selling. Now I'm not saying Parry got a few quid extra for getting Moores to sell to the yanks as I cant prove that. But I have my own opinioins on who was the driving force behind it - rightly or wrongly.

Everyone knows what happened, DIC where going to buy us, Gillet with Hicks on board came in at the last minute and offered 1,000 a share more. Moores asked DIC for more time, they declined.

yes DIC were going to buy us. They also were being slaughtered by a lot of people about the so called exit plan they had on the go. Now, I'm not against the plan that they had, and I think it would be remiss if they actually didnt have a plan. However, that plan was not what people were expecting.

Also, what right did DIC have to refuse time for a second intererested party to be evaluated? What gave them the right to threaten LFC to "accept now or we're off". The so called gentlemans agreement? The so called lack of respect/honour? I'm sorry, but if they were so confident and keen, and wanted the club as much as everyone says, then they should have been willing and more than able to deal with a competing interest that THEY THEMSELVES could have shown to be not worthy.

As for the extra money. I've no doubt Moores was delighted that he seemed to be getting a good deal for Liverpool FC and also more for himself and the shareholders. Especially if it was sold to him that way. Gullible fool that he is.

Gillet and Hicks then promised Moores they would definitely fund and build a new stadium and the purchase was with no debt on the club. They also offered every existing shareholder a free ST for life in the new stadium.
That would have been a great bit of business. If I had any wit about me I would have snatched this option. Especially if my trusted, expensive and professional advisors are telling me that it’s all true. I think this is all that anyone wanted (apart from the Chelsea model fans).
I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read that the building of a new stadium was conditional on the selling of Moores shares, but only Moore will know the finner details? ??? ???, so there may some legal recourse if Moores has the bollocks ??? ??? ??? ???

I wish you were right, I really do. There’s nothing I’d like more than the yanks to be sent packing with no profit. Unfortunately, I think that someone by now would have raised this. Unless, as you suggest, it does exist and everyones too greedy to act on it. Its speculation that you cant use to accuse anyone of anything. However if it did, then I’d have no qualms about slagging Moores off as more than just a foolish millionaire.

The Amercians lied and the fans are guilty of lapping it up, but at the end of the day, as Parry said, you only sell the family silver once. Due dillegance by Parry on behalf of Moores would have meant that Moores could have seen the yanks for the charletans that they are, as would 6 hours on Google.
There is a clip of the great Bob Paisley in the directors box and there is a young pissed up David Moores looking utterly fucking clueless behind him, not much has changed in 25 years.

Yep. I agree Moores is a buffoon.  I don’t think he’s clever enough to manipulate things and deliberately deceive the fans . I think he’s soft enough to take the word of “more worldly” people he’s surrounded himself with as gospel though.

I think the last quotes above sums up, for me anyway, where Moores fits into the state we’re in now.
I wish he’d get off his arse now though and say something.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2010, 11:46:46 pm »
My criticism of Moore’s isn’t so much the sale to G&H, it is the circumstances which led up to it.

After the Heysel Tragedy , and the subsequent England wide ban, the gloss surrounding our club came off. We did not handle it well, and then followed the body blow of Hillsborough. Moore’s took over the club with the lingering stain of the first event, and the still fresh pain of the second, hanging like a collective pall over  us. As other clubs, particularly Man U, saw opportunity in the Taylor Report, the emerging Premier League and multiplying Sky driven TV revenues, we stood paralysed. I make this point because although Moore’s regime stands damned for inertia, ineptitude and Administrative stagnation, the context of the era is important to remember.

The appointment of Parry was a mistake, an Accountant, and a fan, I have yet to find anyone who can identify a Parry legacy which has benefitted the club other than that things operated fairly smoothly and relations with the FA and Premier League were cordial. But when you snooze, you lose, and the enormous power of the Liverpool Club name continued to be squandered in the 90’s.Our inability to win the league subsequent to Moore’s Chairmanship is testament to that torpor. It s easy to forget that Old Trafford did not suddenly become a 76,500 capacity stadia, it was increased in stages, not that M&P noticed, and now we are faced with the humiliation of being one of the most famous clubs in world football, but with the 64th largest stadium in Europe, and the 23rd largest average crowd last year, simply because of the size of Anfield.

To Moores, our club was a sinecure, and a place at a very elite European and English social club. I do not doubt that he was also a fan, with genuine affection for the club. But there was neither the ambition, nor the ability, to drive the club forwards. Steve Morgan was the chance to renew from within, but the men, one landed and with inherited wealth, the other a self made millionaire distrusted each other, and LFC became the loser. Moores regarded Morgan as a brash upstart and was suspicious of his motives, fearing that he wanted to “steal” Moores  trappings of office. Morgan foresaw that Moores could not lead the club forwards. Their inability to reach a rapprochement had devastating consequences for us.

To be fair to Moores, he sold up because he accepted that he did not have the will to take Liverpool into the 21st century. He sold the family Pools business, as High St and Internet Betting began to take its toll just before the market for the Pools Industry collapsed. He also sold his stake in Littlewoods as online trading was about to wreak a similar toll, again pretty much at the top of the market. So he had previous for holding up his hands, saying he wanted no more of a business he did not want to take forwards, and cashing in his chips. Including us, he did it three times.

When he sold us, he had had enough. Although he could have built a new stadium for roughly the cost of the debt to date he did not fancy the 10 year further investment of time and energy to see the project through to a point whereby the club could be sold on again for a similar profit. And he certainly did not have the team around him  to deliver it.

The sale to G&H has been a disaster. But there are no guarantees that DIC would not similarly have placed the debt on the club, and the  chances of the stadium being built firstly before the UK  Credit Crunch bit, and secondly before the Dubai financial market imploded, are very slim. Some feel that Moores “should have known” about G&H. But the Institutional Shareholders, particularly Granada, were not interested in the “Liverpool Way legacy” they were interested in raising the most cash once Moore signalled his intention to bail out. So criticism of him for the mechanics of the sale is probably harsh.

Mindful of this I am not quite sure what people expect him to say. My judgement is that hounding him for the G&H sale is probably misplaced. It is the period up to that which does not bear scrutiny. But that lets G&H off the hook, which does not satisfy the mob, and criticism of his regime can be countered with him replying that he, and the shareholders made a fat profit out of it, crisis, what crisis?

So although I am pleased to see that some are prepared to look back further than the carcass of our current rotting owners, chasing down Moores is to career down a cul-de –sac.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2010, 12:40:43 am »
The man has made a lifetime practice of looking great while taking the easiest route.  He's performed another of his masterpieces on you when you came to his house.  Now at least some will see him as the friendly old man again instead of the greedy bastard who sold us down the river.

He won't come out, he won't speak against the yanks, simply not in his nature.  Good on you for trying though lads.