Author Topic: Holidays - UK or abroad?  (Read 43287 times)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Re: Holidays - UK or abroad?
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 11:35:29 am »

I was lucky enough to go away in 2020, to Tallinn and Helsinki over five days in February before things started to change. Tallinn especially was an incredible little city with a great history that I would recommend to anyone - We flew there and back, stayed in a nice four star hotel, ate at good restaurants every night, visited multiple hotels and also caught the ferry across to Helsinki and back and saw the sights there, all for less than £600 as a couple - phenomenal value in my eyes. We ate at the best restaurant in Estonia, 3 courses and wine and it came to less than the equivalent of £40 - expensive for Estonia but compared to the UK, you'd pay probably quadruple for a similar quality over here.

Really want to go to Tallinn and it's never occurred to me before that you could get over to Helsinki for a short trip, so thanks for that idea!

You must be as old as me. We did a week in Porec in Istria, back when Tito was still holding it all together as Yugoslavia. Venice was the default day trip. I too remember how expensive the restaurants were around St Marks (they've got an orchestra you know !) and just the heaving mass of tourists at the height of summer.

One of my friends used to go to Yugoslavia every summer with her parents when we were teenagers (late 80s), always sounded so glamorous as my family holidays were usually to Devon or Somerset!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2021, 11:37:48 am »
Abroad in the summer, a week or 10 days in Spain or the Canaries. No messing about, just lying by the pool and reading, loads of food and drink in the night.

Happy going away in the UK a few times a year other than that. Love a hot tub weekend or a spa hotel.

I hate the airport and the whole flying experience if I'm honest, I'd probably swerve abroad for years if my fiancee wasn't so mad on going.

This is for me. The last few times I've flown, particularly to the Canaries have been a nightmare.

Won't be planning to go abroad this year but hoping to get to France next year with a plan to stay longer and just have one continental break to minimise the airport/flight disruption.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2021, 11:44:00 am »
We're due to go to Cyprus end of October.
Nice one, enjoy.

Western Algarve is another one that can keep the warmth (although the sea is cold). Not guaranteed but better chance than somewhere like the Balearics. I’ve become a bit of a late October weather nerd! Quite often don’t book until the last minute when you can see what the weather’s doing in the different parts of Europe. Cyprus and Canaries definitely the most consistently good. Far Eastern / south-eastern Crete gets the African influence as well.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2021, 11:46:09 am »
Despite going on about warmth, if I could go anywhere this October coming it would be northern Norway. Slowly risen to the top of my list (and not as cold as you might think due to the Gulf Stream)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2021, 11:58:15 am »
Really want to go to Tallinn and it's never occurred to me before that you could get over to Helsinki for a short trip, so thanks for that idea!
We're due to go to Cyprus end of October. Missus has been, I've not, but she reckons I'll love it as I loved Zante. Luckily the kids are OK on long flights, they've done Florida twice and Dubai and are used to the 4 to 4.5 hr flights to Tenerife.

I was late to holidaying abroad, first flew at 27 when I did a skydive, didn't fly commercial til I was 29 and went to Amsterdam. My missus is a holiday freak, so when I met her at 39, it all started properly for me. Our kids have been abroad two or three times a year since they were babies, not bad for 10 and 12 yr olds. Must eldest wants to live abroad as soon as he can, he's got his eye on Tenerife right now.
Make sure you do go to Tallinn when you get a chance mate. I inter-railed round Europe a few years ago after uni, so am pretty well-versed in European cities to visit. I'd say Florence and Tallinn rank as my two absolute favourites (Ljubljana and Krakow also highly regarded by myself). Tallinn was a spur of the moment booking - I'd read a 'underrated city breaks' article online and Tallinn looked very pretty and seemed to have a reasonable amount to do whilst being very cheap. Just an absolutely lovely city, with a wonderful medieval quarter, loads of interesting history given the Danes, the Communists and the Nazis have all occupied at one time or another (and the country has fought wars of independence against the latter two). I have a quite a heart warming story about the tour I did of the Luscher & Matiesen distillery and brewery in the City (just checked online and it's listed as permanently closed, I sincerely hope that's a covid-based temporary thing and it isn't shut forever, because what a storied place).

Helsinki was like a 2/3 hour ferry that we had to get up early for, but it was definitely worth it, very cool city and lots to see (extremely expensive though, we knew it would be so took packed lunches across with us and ate dinner at a little Vietnamse pop up, like fuck was I paying the equivalent of £20 for a bowl of soup).

Rob, if you enjoyed Zante, like your missus said, I reckon you'll love Cyprus. Zante is great, Tsilivi a fave of mine and Cypris was fantastic. We stayed in Makronissos, about 15 minutes from Ayia Napa and 20 from Protaras, 5 minutes from Nissi Beach on the Southern Part of the island. Now I'm by no means into the clubbing scene so whilst we did have a night out in Ayia Napa and check out Nissi Beach (both good fun really), we got the chilled out, relaxed holiday we wanted at a great hotel for a decent price. The weather was superb (bit hot for some in my party but I love 30+) and the sea was like walking into a warm bath. We rented quad bikes and toured the coast, seeing the sea caves and pulling up where and when we wanted to grab a drink and food by the beach and finding little private beaches and alcoves. One of the best days I've ever had on holiday. My one regret (and a reason I'd go back with the Missus) is that we didn't do a day trip into Nicosia, which by all accounts is a fascinating city, given it's divided in the way it is.

I'll stop rambling now - suffice to say I love the English countryside where I grew up but you can't have the above experiences at home.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2021, 11:58:35 am »
Nice one, enjoy.

Western Algarve is another one that can keep the warmth (although the sea is cold). Not guaranteed but better chance than somewhere like the Balearics. I’ve become a bit of a late October weather nerd! Quite often don’t book until the last minute when you can see what the weather’s doing in the different parts of Europe. Cyprus and Canaries definitely the most consistently good. Far Eastern / south-eastern Crete gets the African influence as well.

Done the Canaries in both October and November, lovely weather both times, just one day of rain. Did Dubai Oct 2019, that was brilliant, nice and hot all day and night as well. The kids loved it there, we played Table Tennis, Squash, went kayaking, rented a 3 seat Seakart, that was a hoot, think I hit 80kph on that and did Falconry and watched Desert foxes roaming the beach of a night.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2021, 12:02:12 pm »
I guess I must live in a totally different price bracket or world to you guys.

Talk of 2, 3 or even 4 holidays a year is way out of our range, we're lucky to do a week every few years sometimes.

Apart from visiting my brother in Wales a few times we've been away 3 times since 2010.  Twice to Northumberland and then to Scotland for our honeymoon, it's always self catering and we never eat out apart from a chippy takeaway.

Boring maybe but we like being remote, away from everyone, walking the dogs and don't like hot weather so go away in September or October.

Have to say though out of the three holidays we've had it's only rained on one morning, the rest of the time it's been beautiful blue skies and 17/18° which is perfect temps for walking.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 12:04:16 pm by reddebs »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2021, 12:09:42 pm »

Talk of 2, 3 or even 4 holidays a year is way out of our range, we're lucky to do a week every few years sometimes.

Apart from visiting my brother in Wales a few times we've been away 3 times since 2010.  Twice to Northumberland and then to Scotland for our honeymoon, it's always self catering and we never eat out apart from a chippy takeaway.

Boring maybe but we like being remote, away from everyone, walking the dogs and don't like hot weather so go away in September or October.

Have to say though out of the three holidays we've had it's only rained on one morning, the rest of the time it's been beautiful blue skies and 17/18° which is perfect temps for walking.

I wouldn't read too much into it Debs - I've mates who go away 3 or 4 times a year but spend literally every penny they have to do so - and are still living at home which explains the excess cash.

Me and my girlfriend when we first met did used to go away 3/4 times a year, but we'd do city breaks on the cheap and really squeeze the value out of each trip, spending probably less than £500 every time - we were also still living with our respective parents and both in full time work at the time, giving us more disposable income. Since I've bought my own place, it's now cut down to maybe 2 (1 city break 1 sun) a year, but again I'm in my late 20s without a family depending on me. I 100% think my opportunities to go away so often will nosedive dramatically in the next few years when we buy a bigger house together and potentially start a family.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2021, 12:15:23 pm »
Debs, don’t make the mistake of thinking a holiday in Europe is always more expensive. Last October we had our annual holiday in Cornwall. Spent a fortune on accom and eating out and ton in petrol getting there and back. The October before went to Puglia. Flight to Bari from Liverpool cost £30 return and the food and accomo was really cheap. Spent loads less than Cornwall :)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2021, 12:19:30 pm »
Obviously not saying ones better than the other btw. A holiday is all about doing what you enjoy so there’s not a right or wrong answer to the question.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2021, 12:19:34 pm »
Make sure you do go to Tallinn when you get a chance mate. I inter-railed round Europe a few years ago after uni, so am pretty well-versed in European cities to visit. I'd say Florence and Tallinn rank as my two absolute favourites (Ljubljana and Krakow also highly regarded by myself). Tallinn was a spur of the moment booking - I'd read a 'underrated city breaks' article online and Tallinn looked very pretty and seemed to have a reasonable amount to do whilst being very cheap. Just an absolutely lovely city, with a wonderful medieval quarter, loads of interesting history given the Danes, the Communists and the Nazis have all occupied at one time or another (and the country has fought wars of independence against the latter two). I have a quite a heart warming story about the tour I did of the Luscher & Matiesen distillery and brewery in the City (just checked online and it's listed as permanently closed, I sincerely hope that's a covid-based temporary thing and it isn't shut forever, because what a storied place).

Helsinki was like a 2/3 hour ferry that we had to get up early for, but it was definitely worth it, very cool city and lots to see (extremely expensive though, we knew it would be so took packed lunches across with us and ate dinner at a little Vietnamse pop up, like fuck was I paying the equivalent of £20 for a bowl of soup).

Thanks, it's definitely on the list so hopefully soon! Meant to go to Ljubljana last year but cancelled due to Covid and rearranged for this year, fingers crossed.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2021, 12:21:23 pm »
Debs, don’t make the mistake of thinking a holiday in Europe is always more expensive. Last October we had our annual holiday in Cornwall. Spent a fortune on accom and eating out and ton in petrol getting there and back. The October before went to Puglia. Flight to Bari from Liverpool cost £30 return and the food and accomo was really cheap. Spent loads less than Cornwall :)

Yeah, we usually sort all ours out ourselves, cheap Easyjet flights, Booking.com for hotels/self-catering apartments, etc. Can get some real bargains if you're prepared to spend a bit of time looking.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2021, 12:25:41 pm »
Thanks, it's definitely on the list so hopefully soon! Meant to go to Ljubljana last year but cancelled due to Covid and rearranged for this year, fingers crossed.
Feel free to PM me mate about Tallinn - I'll be in Ljubljana a couple of times this year (Covid Dependent) as my partner's step-mum (who we're really close with) is Slovenian, so we try and get out there and to Bled and Kranjska Gora when we can. Feel free to PM about recommendations or even to meet up for a drink! Slovenians are - in my experience, one of the friendliest, kindest and most hospitable groups of people you could meet, as long as you have someone they are familiar with make an introduction.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2021, 12:27:29 pm »
When I lived in Portugal I would say the only really cold month was February, and that was only a few days.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2021, 12:29:14 pm »
Yeah, we usually sort all ours out ourselves, cheap Easyjet flights, Booking.com for hotels/self-catering apartments, etc. Can get some real bargains if you're prepared to spend a bit of time looking.
Definitely. We were booking the following night as we went in Italy as there were loads of options out of season so you never had that worry about not finding anywhere. A good tip is to put “<name of town> accommodation” into google, scroll down to click on the map that comes up, change the dates and google searches not only the biggies like booking.com but also a whole host of other lesser known websites and shows you the price and (importantly) location. Much prefer searching on a map if you know where you want to be.  As you zoom in it finds even more.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 12:31:55 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2021, 12:30:34 pm »
Feel free to PM me mate about Tallinn - I'll be in Ljubljana a couple of times this year (Covid Dependent) as my partner's step-mum (who we're really close with) is Slovenian, so we try and get out there and to Bled and Kranjska Gora when we can. Feel free to PM about recommendations or even to meet up for a drink! Slovenians are - in my experience, one of the friendliest, kindest and most hospitable groups of people you could meet, as long as you have someone they are familiar with make an introduction.

Thanks a lot! :thumbup

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2021, 12:37:30 pm »

Might also be worth getting in touch with Jim (24/7) on here before you go.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2021, 12:45:16 pm »

24*7 lives in Estonia

We've put a lot into being able to do these things and been careful with the cash. I run two jobs, have done loads of overtime and the missus has done tons of oveys over the years to allow us to travel as much as we have done. I drive an 09 car, missus is still running about in an 06 Astra, its only the last 8 months we've really gone out as a couple due to the kids ages, so all the money that would go on that goes on holidays instead. Dubai in 2019 was from money left by her Dad, our next Dubai has been a mixture of the money from a share save scheme  and me doing loads of weekends last year. Its tiring but its been worth it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2021, 12:53:46 pm »
We've holidayed in the UK for the last three years,mainly because we keep forgetting to renew our passports.

The only thing we're planning this year is a weekend in Liverpool in July,it was cancelled last year so we rebooked,half expecting it to be cancelled again though. ::)

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2021, 01:07:54 pm »
24*7 lives in Estonia

We've put a lot into being able to do these things and been careful with the cash. I run two jobs, have done loads of overtime and the missus has done tons of oveys over the years to allow us to travel as much as we have done. I drive an 09 car, missus is still running about in an 06 Astra, its only the last 8 months we've really gone out as a couple due to the kids ages, so all the money that would go on that goes on holidays instead. Dubai in 2019 was from money left by her Dad, our next Dubai has been a mixture of the money from a share save scheme  and me doing loads of weekends last year. Its tiring but its been worth it.
Nice one. Must be knackering but rewarding all the same.
Your post is a cracking example of how different people have different priorities too. Some people must have the latest car etc. Some must go out all the time etc. and for others holidays are the big thing.

We thought we'd shaken the kids off, but they keep lobbying for family holidays - they're at their most expensive now the way they can drink  :lmao

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2021, 01:58:51 pm »
Your post is a cracking example of how different people have different priorities too. Some people must have the latest car etc. Some must go out all the time etc. and for others holidays are the big thing.

We thought we'd shaken the kids off, but they keep lobbying for family holidays - they're at their most expensive now the way they can drink  :lmao

Not that I’m a cheapskate but when we go abroad I’ll keep the drinking to a minimum in the hotel bar or restaurant when it’s a few Euros a pop and instead will get my 50c cans from the Supermercado and have a couple during the day, on the balcony early evening and a couple when we get back. Do t stay up that late anyway with kids so it’s nice to come back and read with a (cheap) beer. :D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2021, 02:21:35 pm »
Might also be worth getting in touch with Jim (24/7) on here before you go.
24*7 lives in Estonia

:thumbup

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2021, 02:27:07 pm »

It near killed me at times, I was doing 55 hours in my FT job then 15 hr shifts on a Saturday, I've done 18/19 days straight at times. When she was pregnant with the first, I was doing things like a night shift after a day at work and stupid shit like that, or 3pm starts on a Saturday and get in at 5-6am Sunday, bed til 11 then visit the inlaws. The week/2 weeks away makes up for it as we get family time, which you never get at home as the kids just want to do their own stuff.

Not that I’m a cheapskate but when we go abroad I’ll keep the drinking to a minimum in the hotel bar or restaurant when it’s a few Euros a pop and instead will get my 50c cans from the Supermercado and have a couple during the day, on the balcony early evening and a couple when we get back. Do t stay up that late anyway with kids so it’s nice to come back and read with a (cheap) beer. :D

Where we used to stay in tenerife was about Euro 1.50 a pint, but when it went silly we'd nip the Supermercado, big bottle of San Miguel, few bottles of the 3 euro wine and sit on the Balcony and drink that. I'd even get one pint from the bar, then refill from the apartment - they always gave us a ground floor one so I would just walk over and back.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2021, 04:04:39 pm »
We were similar when they were younger to be fair. Tended to use villas more too so it was drinking in most of the time. When we did go out we got stitched up plenty when they were younger. Find a nice bar, order the drinks, they'd neck their drinks at 3 euros a pop before we'd even blown the froth off or beers
They'd want to be out on the town now, meal, cocktails etc. with us picking up the tab - bloody students ha ha.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #64 on: February 9, 2021, 04:31:00 pm »
We managed to get away abroad last summer on holidays we'd booked in the Jan/Feb for July, assumed we wouldn't be going, but then Brittany Ferries & RyanAir recommenced operations. Took the dog for the first time (France - Vendee - in a villa) and had planned to go again this summer, but the uncertainty has made us think again and we decided to stay in Blighty.

After a family discussion, we've opted for Scotland*.

I'm already regretting the decision. The car boot will be half-filled with anti-'wee beastie' devices and sprays, waterproofs & thermals, the rest with food and booze, as the nearest supermarket that isn't a shitty & overpriced Spar is 30 miles away from where we're staying.

Depending how Covid insanity progresses through the year, looking to visit our friends in Spain again, perhaps late Sept, for a long weekend. Need a sunshine, warmth & sea fix at some point!

* When it was agreed on a UK holiday, I wanted Devon or Cornwall, but was out-voted on the grounds of "we've never been to Scotland, but been to Devon loads", which isn't actually true as 3 of us 4 have been to Scotland, although no further north than Dunblane, and our eldest was only 2. And besides, 'we've never been there before' is a rubbish reason. None of us have ever been to Libya either. Or Croydon.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 9, 2021, 04:48:08 pm »
Fella who works with the missus booked Cornwall last year for this, £600. The same holiday is now £2500

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 9, 2021, 04:53:20 pm »
Fella who works with the missus booked Cornwall last year for this, £600. The same holiday is now £2500
Ridiculous. Just last night me and the missus were debating whether to pull the trigger on 10 nights in Kos in September at a good 4 star for £2000 all in.

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2021, 04:36:15 pm »
We're due to go to Cyprus end of October. Missus has been, I've not, but she reckons I'll love it as I loved Zante. Luckily the kids are OK on long flights, they've done Florida twice and Dubai and are used to the 4 to 4.5 hr flights to Tenerife.

I was late to holidaying abroad, first flew at 27 when I did a skydive, didn't fly commercial til I was 29 and went to Amsterdam. My missus is a holiday freak, so when I met her at 39, it all started properly for me. Our kids have been abroad two or three times a year since they were babies, not bad for 10 and 12 yr olds. Must eldest wants to live abroad as soon as he can, he's got his eye on Tenerife right now.

What part of Cyprus are you going to ?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2021, 05:02:27 pm »
Cruises are cheap at the moment

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2021, 05:32:22 pm »
What part of Cyprus are you going to ?

Pathos. Never been so no idea what it is like

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2021, 07:04:54 pm »
Pathos. Never been so no idea what it is like

That’s the one part I have spent the least amount of time in, whenever we’ve headed out that part of the island we have tended to stay in Argaka, polis, latchi area. Had a few day trips to paphos and its always been lively enough. If your into water parks the one in paphos is pretty good although not the cheapest place.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2021, 09:57:38 am »
We stayed in the Larnaca/Nissi area in 2019, absolutely lovely. Even Ayia Napa itself down the road was perfectly okay.

We very, very nearly  pulled the trigger last night. Because of the way things have fallen with my work, the only time I can get 10/11 days off is early October - we both like it hot so Cyprus is one of the few places we can get to without spending the larger amounts for the Caribbean etc.

Reading all the regs, Jet2 have really good COVID cover. However I’m assuming full vaccination will be needed and whilst my missus who is a nurse will get her second jab tomorrow, I’m yet to get my first. I’m hopeful, but if I was say late July for my diet that would mean late October before we could go away. 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2021, 10:52:00 am »
Good tip. We only had 2 nights but also stayed out of the centre in a western suburb called Lapad. Nice little beach and some good restaurants. Easy bus to the old town in the evening when things have calmed down (a little bit!). Found Korcula Town to be like a mini Dubrovnik but less chaotic. Still v.busy but maybe less of a rip off.

Agree with this.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #73 on: April 1, 2021, 09:32:31 am »
Took the plunge last Friday and paid the deposit for Vietnam in November 2022. It's our honeymoon that was supposed to happen last November, won't be able to happen this November, and quite frankly if it can't happen next November then we've all got bigger problems to worry about. We don't have to pay anything more until August next year so it's sound.

Flying from Manchester to Hanoi via Doha (Qatar Airways both ways :lickin), few days there, then a night on a boat in Ha Long Bay, then a few days in Phu Quoc, few days in Ho Chi Minh then back to Hanoi for another couple of days before we fly back.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 1, 2021, 10:19:02 am »
Took the plunge last Friday and paid the deposit for Vietnam in November 2022. It's our honeymoon that was supposed to happen last November, won't be able to happen this November, and quite frankly if it can't happen next November then we've all got bigger problems to worry about. We don't have to pay anything more until August next year so it's sound.

Flying from Manchester to Hanoi via Doha (Qatar Airways both ways :lickin), few days there, then a night on a boat in Ha Long Bay, then a few days in Phu Quoc, few days in Ho Chi Minh then back to Hanoi for another couple of days before we fly back.

Sounds boss that Snail!

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 1, 2021, 10:19:16 am »

That sounds brilliant.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 1, 2021, 11:30:35 am »

That really does sound fantastic. I think you'll be fine by then. You'll have to let us know - Vietnam is top 5 on our list of more special/adventurous/ambitious trips we've got planned for the future.

I think we're going to book something for maybe May next year once we've had both vaccinations and seen how the ease out of lockdown goes. My partner has finished a long and arduous course to become an advanced practitioner having done 50 hours a week frontline nursing throughout the pandemic. I think she definitely deserves some sun!

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #77 on: April 1, 2021, 11:38:55 am »

8)

Get on Eddie Sweeney on YouTube, he goes travelling all around there & has done vlogs on Vietnam too, travels for a bit of companionship there but is also quite informative getting about the place.
Hope you have a great time!
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 1, 2021, 01:18:15 pm »

Done Vietnam a couple of years ago, Hanoi - Halong bay overnight cruise  - Hanoi - overnight train to Hue - Hoi An - Ho Chi Minh - 2 nights boat on Mekong delta & back to Ho Chi Minh . Loved every minute of it , absolutely fantastic & fascinating country and super friendly people , can’t recommend it highly enough

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #79 on: April 1, 2021, 02:43:20 pm »
Thanks all, we're very excited!

Only slight issue is that I'm not fantastic about flying. I used to not mind it at all but the last few years I've been getting worse and worse every time, last time I got on a plane was going Palermo in 2019 and I was walking up the steps shaking like a leaf absolutely convinced we were going to die, and I started crying during take-off. Can't even imagine what I'll be like going basically the other side of the world, but I'm trying not to think about it otherwise I'll spend the next 18 months or so winding myself up ;D