Author Topic: The Real Thing...  (Read 2072 times)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
The Real Thing...
« on: August 7, 2020, 08:32:11 pm »
Documentary on BBC4 tonight at 9.00pm on the Real Thing...

A great band from L8 that for a short time back in '76 looked like they might conquer the world.

It didn't quite happen, sadly, but they really were rather good.

I hope it does them justice.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/mjnyz5/everything-the-real-thing-story/

Liverpool quartet The Real Thing were one of the first all-black British bands to top the charts when You to Me Are Everything formed part of the soundtrack to the sweltering hot summer of 1976, but their time in the spotlight was relatively brief. Director Simon Sheridan's engrossing film chronicles the group's rise to fame and the racial barriers they had to overcome, and the struggle they faced to be taken seriously with more politically themed material following their first flush of hits. Brothers Chris and Eddie Amoo (the latter died during production of the documentary) paint a vivid picture of growing up in an English "ghetto" and reveal how success was a double-edged sword for some members of the group. Contemporaries Gwen Dickey (of Rose Royce) and Billy Ocean praise the group as significant players in the development of soul music, although archive footage of The Real Thing performing their hugely popular songs is frustratingly brief.
Summary
The rise of four working class boys from one of Liverpool's toughest neighbourhoods, who fought hardship and discrimination to become the biggest-selling black group in British pop history. With a string of hits, they dominated the international charts throughout the 1970s with iconic songs like You to Me Are Everything, Can't Get by Without You, and Can You Feel the Force. Hpwever the group's meteoric success was also tempered with personal tragedy, drug addiction and racial prejudice. Narrated by Jacob Anderson.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: The Real Thing...
« Reply #1 on: August 7, 2020, 10:41:51 pm »
'You to me' reminds me of that mid Seventies Liverpool team, it was on the juke box of every pub you went into to celebrate another victory.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2 on: August 7, 2020, 10:55:36 pm »
'You to me' reminds me of that mid Seventies Liverpool team, it was on the juke box of every pub you went into to celebrate another victory.

There were some dreadful team songs around that time, having said that I remember mostly buying the majority of records. Yeah We Can Do It.  ;D

Sorry, The Gulleysucker for wrecking the thread with that memory, I quite liked the Real Thing loved Can You Feel the Force.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 7, 2020, 10:59:45 pm »
There were some dreadful team songs around that time, having said that I remember mostly buying the majority of records. Yeah We Can Do It.  ;D

Sorry, The Gulleysucker for wrecking the thread with that memory, I quite liked the Real Thing loved Can You Feel the Force.

I wasn't referring to any team songs, God no! More the every day hits on the juke box post match.

The traditional team song released before a final was a thing to be avoided.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4 on: August 7, 2020, 11:02:26 pm »
I wasn't referring to any team songs, God no! More the every day hits on the juke box post match.

The traditional team song released before a final was a thing to be avoided.

I was only very young, is all I will say.  :-[
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: August 7, 2020, 11:45:24 pm »
Great band, I used to play football with Eddie, he was a real gent and absolutely loved his footy

The real thing - 4 from 8

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z-TvxodoHLw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z-TvxodoHLw</a>

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 8, 2020, 08:55:13 am »
The talk of the Real Thing reminds me of the Almost Blues, lead singer Colin Aryeety, who played around the soull scene in Liverpool in the mid sixties. They'd act as a support act for the likes of Sam and Dave at Carnatic Hall of Residence.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2020, 09:05:39 am »
Great doc. The importance of 4 from 8 passed me by until I was into my 20's. Until then my only memory of the Real Thing was possessing a red vinyl copy of Can You Feel the Force. Actually, it may have been yellow?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2020, 09:45:42 am »
Missed the thread, missed the doc :) was it good?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #9 on: August 8, 2020, 10:06:35 am »
Missed the thread, missed the doc :) was it good?

It was very good John and well worth watching on catchup/iplayer if and when it appears.

I never realised quite how much a part David Essex had played and assisted in their rise to fame, he's gone up my estimation.. oh he's more, so much more than a pretty face indeed.

Also, something else I didn't know was apparently they originally sang the vocals on Forever Autumn on Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds and on another track for that album but it appears their versions were pulled without explanation and replaced by Justin Hayward's version(s) just prior to release. It would have been nice to have heard them, even just a brief bit, especially as they were interviewing Jeff Wayne, he must surely still have copies of the tracks.

What was also rather tragic was the hint, I think it was by Eddy Amoo, that poor Ray Lake who committed suicide had possibly been molested when he was in care in the childrens home, and like many who that sort of thing happened to, perhaps led him to have his later troubles with addiction and his downward spiral.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 8, 2020, 10:28:27 am »
Thanks Gulley, very interesting.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 8, 2020, 06:34:48 pm »
Mentioned this before on here but my mums family ran a cafe in town on Renshaw Street late 50s and during the 60s.. She knew all the beatles apart from Ringo before they made it. Anyway, she also knew the Real Thing and Eddy asked my mum out repeatedly. Funny thing was my Dads and brothers name was Eddie also. She was dating my dad at the time but talks fondly of him and the band as they were all lovely lads. My mum was a stunner in her day and was the spit of a young madonna. Its not even funny how alike they were. Youd actually think it was her

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #12 on: August 8, 2020, 11:45:40 pm »

John, it's being repeated in 30 minutes time tonight at 12.15am on BBC4.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 03:56:24 pm »
Ah, missed that post Gulley :)

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 07:42:40 am »
I heard talk of a Real Thing statue on Princes Avenue being planned. Well deserved.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 11:59:04 pm »
Just seen this. Underrated band, children of the ghetto cracking tune 4 from 8 great album
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 12:11:11 am »
Just seen this. Underrated band, children of the ghetto cracking tune 4 from 8 great album

It was great wasn't it?

I loved the stuff about the Chants at the beginning, especially the bit about them having been the only band the Beatles ever backed at the Cavern.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 10:06:01 pm »
I lived in a high-rise in L8 during the 80's that only had 10 occupied flats in it out of 60, it was just after heroin had hit, there was sick on the floors, aluminium foil littered everywhere, the lifts were nearly always broken, I lived on the 12th floor with an Iron Door for protection from the lads robbing the boilers to weigh in the copper. As I walked up the stairs I used to sing to myself, the rap from Grand Master Flash, 'broken glass everywhere, people pissing on the stairs because they just don't care', at the time Dingle looked like the South Bronx, an endless procession of empty maisonettes, dereliction all the way from Park Street to town. The song spoke to me. The lad I'd 'inherited' the flat off had left some LP's and amongst them was 4 from 8 and it just fitted, the beautiful voice, the harmonies, the lads singing about the struggles of L8 and the solidarity that still existed. I realised how underrated these lads were, if they'd had had the encouragement they had the potential to produce something like Marvin Gaye's 60 masterpiece, What's Going On. Sadly even by then they'd been sucked in and spitten out by the music industry, never taking them seriously, never encouraging that side of them seeing them as a pop novelty band rather than serious artists. Great shame. Just before Eddy amoo died they were playing  a festival in Sefton Park and I went especially to see them but unfortunately I was working nights and had to go to work before they came on, never got to see them, a great Liverpool band often not taken seriously
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 08:29:42 am »
I have to admit I am not into this band and I'm not into some of the sugary-pop singles either BUT I always enjoy a good music documentary and will watch any genre as I've watched docs including Dolly, Woody Guthrie, Culture Club, The Clash, Lemmy, Gaye, Lydon etc etc and enjoyed them all.

So I'll watch this next time and maybe it'll change my mind.

Thanks for all the info you lot - sounds interesting  :)

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend