Author Topic: The West, Israel and Islam - Your Opinion (*)  (Read 176237 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: The West, Israel and Islam - Your Opinion
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2014, 04:16:39 pm »
A dreadful atrocity obviously. Anyone who is human can see that. Those celebrating the atrocity are beneath contempt. That's obvious too.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »
This whole situation saddens me whenever i hear of another attack from one side or the other.

To me, on the left hand side of the spectrum you have some fucked up people doing fucked up things, yet on the right hand side of the spectrum you have some fucked up people doing fucked up things and in the middle, you have lots of people (from both sides) who are being butchered in a silly game of warped one-upmanship - you do this and we'll do you, you hit us and we'll hit you.

Whats the answer?  fucked if i know, but all i can see is more murder and mayhem until eventually one side is wiped out.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2014, 07:53:02 pm »
Is the bombing of king David hotel where British citizens died still celebrated in Israel?

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2014, 08:47:03 pm »
One of those murdered today was Avraham Goldberg.  He was a Liverpudlian

Leading figures among Merseyside’s Jewish community today condemned the murder of Liverpool rabbi Avraham Goldberg in an attack on a synagogue in Jerusalem.

The 68-year-old dad-of-six was among four people slaughtered in the attack.

Rabbi Goldberg, today remembered as a “gentle” and “peaceful” family man, was born in Liverpool and was a member of Childwall Synagogue.

Ian Cohen, chair of Merseyside Jewish Community, said: “Rabbi Goldberg was well-known to many as a peaceful and gentle individual. He was a well-liked man, who was respected by all.

“This is a tragedy for his family, like all those who lost their lives in this atrocity.

“Whatever is going on between Israel and Palestine in recent months, there cannot be any justification for this happening to an innocent man going about his daily prayers. It is simply an act of terrorism.

“These individuals have gone to a place of worship and been butchered.”

An Israeli friend of Rabbi Goldberg, who is said to have a number of cousins in Liverpool, described him “as the most wonderful person you could meet, a pillar of the community.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/jerusalem-synagogue-attack-murdered-liverpool-8130692

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2014, 09:12:59 pm »
The state of Israel was created as some sort of political recompense for the world allowing the Holocaust to take place, however the state does not solely contain people of the Jewish faith although it is predominantly Jews making the laws. Their leaders with very few exceptions have all been Hawks rather Doves, this could have been settled decades ago with a little give and take on all sides, however Israel knows that the US will back them no matter how they act  at least in private they will.

They may come out with critical rhetoric but in reality they are fully behind the State of Israel. The murders today are horrific but so are the shelling and bombings and all the bloodshed spilt on both sides, there are no victors here only victims.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2014, 10:22:40 pm »
The only way to solve this is to kill more people, I think

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2014, 10:35:55 pm »
Fantastic article in this week's New Yorker magazine on the new israeli president Reuven Rivlin.

The One-State Reality

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/17/one-state-reality

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2014, 06:17:54 am »
While that is again horrible, can you not seeing you're being pretty selective? You haven't seen all the videos from the last 6 months of Israelis celebrating the atrocities on the Palestinians?
The state of Israel was created as some sort of political recompense for the world allowing the Holocaust to take place,
Is Baruch Goldstein still viewed as a martyr by some in Israel?

Do people still make the pilgrimage to his burial place?

If i've said it once i have said it a thousand times: Some people on this thread know less than nothing about Israel/Palestine. It still amazes me how ignorant you can be and yet have such a strong opinion.
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2014, 06:30:15 am »
Really good article about Rivlin. Doing his best to to exemplify the Likud's liberal democratic heritage. Shame about the rest of the party today...

Good stuff in this video from Einat Wilf. Whenever I hear Ghada Karmi and others of her ilk just outright lying on camera - and she's smart enough to know that she's lying - it does make me wonder just who and where are the Palestinian moderates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rieoi0_r0eI&list=UUiaGRCBkU6U0sOGsza7ftAg&index=2

Also two more excellent op-ed's from David Horowitz - one before and one after yesterday's terrorist attack:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/palestinian-terrorists-should-know-its-not-going-to-work/
http://www.timesofisrael.com/seize-the-day-a-challenge-to-netanyahu/
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:06 am »
A little interesting fact for our American friends on this group - 'More Americans have been killed this year by Palestinian terrorism than they have by ISIS'.

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2014, 06:51:05 am »
On a day that Palestinian terrorists brutally hack to death 4 innocent Jewish worshippers in a synagogue, one of them from Liverpool, (and a 5th person - a Druze - has since died), someone comes into this thread and posts only the following:

The state of Israel is a farce. I don't agree with what they do or are doing.

:butt :butt

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2014, 06:56:18 am »
Garbage in this thread, as in every other Israel thread, from our friend Jebediah.

And as for the "from Liverpool" comment. You can fuck right off with that, it's irrelevant. As irrelevant as you continually ignoring the atrocities committed by Israeli forces continuously.

Bulldozing the houses of the families of people who committed these acts? Brilliant, great way to not show you punish the many for the actions of the few.

And those new settlement homes, definitely not a policy over a twenty-year period to dilute the Palestinians so an eventual "democratic" vote can be held about whether that particular land in question should belong to Isreal. Definitely not.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2014, 07:15:50 am »
I agree that the fact he is from Liverpool is irrelevant. I would expect people to at least give an RIP, Liverpool or not. But of course Israelis being slaughtered is different.

And i never commented on the homes being demolished, or the settlement policy (although what you wrote about the settlements is again clear nonsense). I did however post a video that the root of the conflict is the Palestinian and Arab world's refusal to accept Israel. Is that garbage? If you think so then at least engage in why you think so...

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:26 am »
Excellent post in the Syria thread. Quite relevant here too:

The actions committed by these people churn my stomach. They take such delight in unfathomable acts of inhumanity and knowing that some of them once lived in the same country as me genuinely makes me fearful. I've never been one to get on the "stop terrorism at all costs" bandwagon but when you actually see what a society looks like when these animals have a foothold, it inevitably unsettles you.

Every society will have it's fair share of psychotic nutters. You get serial killers and scumbags all over the world but this is something else entirely. This is hearts and minds being twisted into something unrecognisable to any civilised person, all down to a poisonous doctrine of war, division and the utmost cruelty. Christopher Hitchens called it "Islamofascism" and he had it down to a tee.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2014, 08:19:07 am »
If i've said it once i have said it a thousand times: Some people on this thread know less than nothing about Israel/Palestine. It still amazes me how ignorant you can be and yet have such a strong opinion.

What is it from that post of mine that showed I know less than nothing(whatever that is) about Israel/Palestine? Do you deny that many Israelis have been shown to be celebrating the atrocities of their own state over the last number of months? You gloss over all that yet then accuse people of being selective in their criticism.

Also, why do you keep ignoring the video of police spraying the schools in the area with that skunk spray? Considering you obviously disagree with my belief that Israel have continually pushed for a reaction from even moderate Palestinians, what do you think they were attempting to achieve with that tactic?
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2014, 08:41:50 am »
I don't believe those videos exist. I have seen videos of people cheering on Israel's military strikes. Perhaps you should put yourself in their shoes and see that it is not all black and white. They had been living for years under constant rocket threat, having to teach their children that when they hear an air-raid siren they have 15 seconds to find a shelter. They had been urging the Israeli government to find a solution and now there were military strikes aimed specifically at the rocket launchers and terror infrastructure in Gaza. If you had bothered to read any interviews with these people you would learn how they agonized over the summer war, knowing that to ensure their safety Israel would be killing innocent Palestinians in Gaza.

I truly honestly mourn for ALL civilians killed in the conflict but the bottom line is, If you can't see the difference between deaths as part of a military operation and cold-blooded murder, then you need to sort yourself out.

I think that the Israelis who watched and cheered the airstrikes were extremely misguided. Unfortunately this is a result of war-weariness and the dehumanizing nature of being in a long-term conflict. I try and have the same empathy for the Palestinian people, and am outspoken in my criticism of much of Israel's policy in the West Bank and my defense of ordinary Palestinians. I do however draw the line when people call the butchering of innocent civilians for no reason a " “heroic act and the normal reaction of what has been happening to Palestinians in Jerusalem and at the al-Aqsa mosque” (as quoted in the Guardian today).

As for the skunk spray, i have many friends who live in the areas where it is being used and they have my full sympathy. The area in the video you posted is one to which i am a frequent visitor. I can't comment on the details of that particular incident as all i have is a video with no context. What makes me very happy however is that there are JEWISH ISRAELI people and a JEWISH ISRAELI organization that are pressuring the police and courts for answers. I only wish you have the same level of self-criticism and care for the 'other' in the Palestinian society.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:52 am »
Jebediah, stop with your hasbara bullshit.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2014, 10:10:53 am »

If you can't see the difference between deaths as part of a military operation and cold-blooded murder, then you need to sort yourself out.

To be honest i cant tell the difference between state sponsored war-machine murder and cold blooded murder - its all murder in my book.  as though 'Death as part of military operations' is somehow justified and what they do isn't.  None of it is justified.  End of.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2014, 12:51:48 pm »
To be honest i cant tell the difference between state sponsored war-machine murder and cold blooded murder - its all murder in my book.  as though 'Death as part of military operations' is somehow justified and what they do isn't.  None of it is justified.  End of.

I don't agree with that. I personally hope that the "state-sponsored war machines" of Britain and the USA (and the Turks too if they ever get their act together) destroy every ISIS volunteer there is.  "Cold-blooded murder", with or without the extra trimming (as it were) of a beheading, is far worse. I'm very surprised, actually, that RAWK should host someone who agrees with the Islamic State nutters that what they are doing is no worse than what the RAF does.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2014, 12:56:58 pm »
I don't agree with that. I personally hope that the "state-sponsored war machines" of Britain and the USA (and the Turks too if they ever get their act together) destroy every ISIS volunteer there is.  "Cold-blooded murder", with or without the extra trimming (as it were) of a beheading, is far worse. I'm very surprised, actually, that RAWK should host someone who agrees with the Islamic State nutters that what they are doing is no worse than what the RAF does.
So you think what happened yesterday (as heinous as it was) is not comparable to kids being blown up whilst playing football on the beach? It's quite sad how little Palestinian lives are valued..

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2014, 01:44:15 pm »

You said there was no difference at all between "cold-blooded murder" and "state-sponsored war machine murder". You then said "it's all murder in my book" and "none of it is justified".

I said I disagree and that what the Islamic State beheaders are doing is much worse than what the RAF is doing. Therefore I reject your idea that "it's all murder in my book" - which is simply a way of saying that IS are no worse than the British airmen trying to kill them. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:43:54 pm by SP »

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2014, 02:07:51 pm »

Did Baruch Goldstein not massacre 29 people in a mosque?

Did people not call him a true Israeli hero? Did not an estimated 10,000 people visit his grave in pilgrimage?

I don't see how I've been ignorant by quoting facts? You're happy to point score and paint a derogatory picture of how Palestinians react to abhorrent violence, glorifying it and it's perpetrators. I'm merely doing the same, but you don't appear to like that?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:23:40 pm by XabiAlonsosBeard »
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2014, 02:16:23 pm »
You're polite!

You said there was no difference at all between "cold-blooded murder" and "state-sponsored war machine murder". You then said "it's all murder in my book" and "none of it is justified".

I said I disagree and that what the Islamic State beheaders are doing is much worse than what the RAF is doing. Therefore I reject your idea that "it's all murder in my book" - which is simply a way of saying that IS are no worse than the British airmen trying to kill them.
But you're ignoring that it was said in the context of this thread. What the RAF and ISIS have to do with this I don't know, and I'd imagine it's why the poster responded in an aggressive manner. I'll ask again, do you think what happened yesterday (as heinous as it was) is not comparable to kids being blown up whilst playing football on the beach?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2014, 02:26:27 pm »
But you're ignoring that it was said in the context of this thread. What the RAF and ISIS have to do with this I don't know, and I'd imagine it's why the poster responded in an aggressive manner. I'll ask again, do you think what happened yesterday (as heinous as it was) is not comparable to kids being blown up whilst playing football on the beach?

I thought the thread was about Islamic State, or partly about it. The title suggests it is.

Besides, the poster I answered was advancing a general principle about death by "war machine" being the same as death by "cold-blooded  murder". You're making it sound like he was talking about the "Jewish war machine" only. But I don't think he could have been that prejudiced. That's why I chose to answer him by citing - germane to the thread - the excellent actions of the British war machine in northern Iraq. 

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2014, 02:29:49 pm »

You're polite!

Oh i see, there are degrees of murder which are acceptable to you and our brave boys fall on the right side of the line do they?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »
Oh i see, there are degrees of murder which are acceptable to you and our brave boys fall on the right side of the line do they?

You're a bear of very little brain, aren't you?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2014, 02:32:59 pm »

I wouldn't describe our "brave boys" as murderers at all. The Islamic State soldiers, however, definitely are murderers.

I guess you're a pacifist and that's why you don;t see any difference between the two? 

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2014, 02:34:05 pm »
You're a bear of very little brain, aren't you?

No

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »
I wouldn't describe our "brave boys" as murderers at all. The Islamic State soldiers, however, definitely are murderers.

I guess you're a pacifist and that's why you don;t see any difference between the two? 

And therein lies the problem, you dont see what we do or what we have done as murder, as though all our actions are justified because of some sort of moral compass which is never wrong, if we say its never wrong.

We believe we are in the right, they believe they are in the right, we terrorise them in a manner that suits us, they terrorise us in a manner that suits them, they murder, we murder, and so it goes round and round in a bloody circle and idiots like us with no real answers can argue till we are blue in the fingernails and it wont change a damn thing.

Am I a pacifist, yeah i guess i am.  What of it?  Or does make my stance any less valid?

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2014, 02:40:28 pm »
I guess when you are not allowed a military you don't get the cover of your acts being part of a military action.

They will always be acts of cold blooded murder.

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2014, 02:41:17 pm »

The bloke killed by Marine A and the family of Baha Moussa may also disagree with you, to be fair.
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2014, 02:59:54 pm »

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2014, 03:09:17 pm »
Surprised this has reopened. As we've been given another chance let's try and stick to facts, news articles, well-thought-out opinions etc.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2014, 03:19:34 pm »

The Merseyside Jewish community will come together this evening in tribute to a Liverpool-born rabbi killed in a terrorist attack in Jersualem.

Nov 19, 2014 09:39 By Isabelle Fraser
Service will honour the lives of those killed in synagogue attack

Rabbi Avraham Goldberg was among worshippers in prayer when Palestinian militants stormed the Har Nov synagogue yesterday, reportedly armed with knives, axes and guns.

Tonight friends and wellwishers will remember him at a service in the city.

Ian Cohen, chair of Merseyside Jewish Community, said: “The whole community is coming together, not just for Avraham, but for all five individuals who were killed in the attack.

“It’s a general call for peace in the region, the end of hostilities, and to think about those who have died.”

Anyone who wants to pay their respects should contact the Merseyside Jewish Representative Council for details of the remembrance service and prayers.

Rabbi Goldberg, who was a grandfather in his sixties, formerly lived in Childwall and was a member of the synagogue there. He attended Liverpool Institute High School for Boys at around the same time as Paul McCartney.

It is understood his parents were married in the Southport area in 1943. His father Aaron was born in Liverpool in 1905 while his mother Jessie came originally from Lithuania. She died in 1987 at the age of 84.

He moved to Golders Green in London 30 years ago, before moving to Israel in 1991.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-jewish-community-come-together-8133402

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »
I thought the thread was about Islamic State, or partly about it. The title suggests it is.

Besides, the poster I answered was advancing a general principle about death by "war machine" being the same as death by "cold-blooded  murder". You're making it sound like he was talking about the "Jewish war machine" only. But I don't think he could have been that prejudiced. That's why I chose to answer him by citing - germane to the thread - the excellent actions of the British war machine in northern Iraq. 
Fair enough - looks like you were right! I thought, because of the post he was responding to, he was equating Israel's "war machine" attack on innocent civilians (not their campaign in general) with yesterday's attack. He was arguing something completely different, my bad.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2014, 03:22:00 pm »
Lots and lots of new nations have popped up around the world over the last century. Just seems to be that everyone has a problem with the Jews having one.
You and "Bibi" have a nation and its called USA The Palestinians don't have a nation because a Army of occupation and the "settlers" that follow them are taking it from them, piece by piece.

That's a bit of a Wurzel Gummidge comparison  ;) 
If for example a F16 flattens a Mosque  in Gaza and kills 5 people is it less barbaric and therefore more Civilised than what happened to the 5 people in the Synagogue ?
Out of interest how much does the range of the weapon effect your reasoning ?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2014, 03:23:47 pm »

Am I a pacifist, yeah i guess i am.  What of it?  Or does make my stance any less valid?

Not at all. Your opinion is as valid as mine.

It's wrong though.  ;)

I guess when you are not allowed a military you don't get the cover of your acts being part of a military action.

I think this is wrong too. Firstly because Islamic State does have a military. Much of it is stolen, but that's neither here nor there since it's as good as theirs now. They don't yet have an airforce, that's true, or atomic weapons. I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief at that! Unless, of course, one believes that the mere possession of these things acts as a civilising force - in which case, we need to arm Islamic State as quickly as possible with the latest weaponry and bring them into parity with NATO.

Secondly it's wrong because the possession of "a military" does not provide moral cover for anyone. If the British government were to launch an H-Bomb on, say, Iran or New Zealand tomorrow, then it would stand condemned in world opinion forever. The H-Bomb, itself, would not provide cover for its own launching, as it were. It's how you use the "military" that counts. 

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2014, 03:28:17 pm »
Not at all. Your opinion is as valid as mine.

It's wrong though.  ;)

I think this is wrong too. Firstly because Islamic State does have a military. Much of it is stolen, but that's neither here nor there since it's as good as theirs now. They don't yet have an airforce, that's true, or atomic weapons. I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief at that! Unless, of course, one believes that the mere possession of these things acts as a civilising force - in which case, we need to arm Islamic State as quickly as possible with the latest weaponry and bring them into parity with NATO.

Secondly it's wrong because the possession of "a military" does not provide moral cover for anyone. If the British government were to launch an H-Bomb on, say, Iran or New Zealand tomorrow, then it would stand condemned in world opinion forever. The H-Bomb, itself, would not provide cover for its own launching, as it were. It's how you use the "military" that counts.

My comment was in reference to Israel and Palestine.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2014, 03:38:21 pm »
My comment was in reference to Israel and Palestine.

Well, of course, the principle has to apply to all situations otherwise it's not a principle at all.

In my book there's no difference between a terrorist attack on a synagogue (or a mosque) and the deliberate targeting of civilians by an air force. Both are atrocities. Lack of heavy weapons, in other words, does not excuse terror tactics. And by the same token the possession of heavy weapons does not undermine the need to use them with care and with discrimination during a military conflict.

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2014, 03:46:19 pm »
Well, of course, the principle has to apply to all situations otherwise it's not a principle at all.

In my book there's no difference between a terrorist attack on a synagogue (or a mosque) and the deliberate targeting of civilians by an air force. Both are atrocities. Lack of heavy weapons, in other words, does not excuse terror tactics. And by the same token the possession of heavy weapons does not undermine the need to use them with care and with discrimination during a military conflict.

Which was the point, that sometimes there are no differences in deaths due to military operations and cold blooded murder, despite the different rhetoric used to describe them.