Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 106405 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #920 on: January 28, 2021, 02:46:39 pm »
Cute cat there Damo!

My cat is now 9 months old and generally really lovely. Bit of an issue with her food though. After finishing up her kitten food, we moved onto Aldi's Vitacat and for the first few months she loved it, preferred it over Whiskas which she won't touch for some reason. One week Aldi were out of cat food, so we went to Asda, who were also out of own-brand. So we got her Felix, which she seemed to love.

We went back to Aldi's stuff and she seems to leave it - normally she's straight in the kitchen and all over you when her food is being prepared. At first I thought she was being picky (because she would eventually eat the Aldi stuff) but now, she's turned down Tuna (her usual favourite treat) It's just sat in her bowl. Oddly though, when I was opening a can for my lunch, she was up trying to get in the sink to sip and drink the juice/brine out of the can.

Anything to worry about or just being picky?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #921 on: January 28, 2021, 03:16:29 pm »
Cute cat there Damo!

My cat is now 9 months old and generally really lovely. Bit of an issue with her food though. After finishing up her kitten food, we moved onto Aldi's Vitacat and for the first few months she loved it, preferred it over Whiskas which she won't touch for some reason. One week Aldi were out of cat food, so we went to Asda, who were also out of own-brand. So we got her Felix, which she seemed to love.

We went back to Aldi's stuff and she seems to leave it - normally she's straight in the kitchen and all over you when her food is being prepared. At first I thought she was being picky (because she would eventually eat the Aldi stuff) but now, she's turned down Tuna (her usual favourite treat) It's just sat in her bowl. Oddly though, when I was opening a can for my lunch, she was up trying to get in the sink to sip and drink the juice/brine out of the can.

Are you putting the tuna in a new, clean bowl? Or in with existing food or in a bowl that hasn't been cleaned from when she finished her food?

I would only worry if she wasn't eating any food at all - it sounds like she is just being a bit picky after being spoiled with new foods!

My cat is the same - she will rotate in and out of two types of food, so I normally have both food in and just alternate - a few days of one type, a few days of the other and it keeps her interested and her toilet habits don't change as she is so used to it.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: January 28, 2021, 03:17:56 pm »

Here's Nico.

Wow!

He is super cute!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #923 on: January 28, 2021, 03:41:34 pm »
Are you putting the tuna in a new, clean bowl? Or in with existing food or in a bowl that hasn't been cleaned from when she finished her food?

I would only worry if she wasn't eating any food at all - it sounds like she is just being a bit picky after being spoiled with new foods!

My cat is the same - she will rotate in and out of two types of food, so I normally have both food in and just alternate - a few days of one type, a few days of the other and it keeps her interested and her toilet habits don't change as she is so used to it.
Thanks mate - I always clean her bowl because she's quite fastidious with cleanliness and won't really touch her food if the bowl hasn't been washed prior. I do think she's being picky because if we just leave the food there, she does eventually eat it.

Rather not pay £4 for a few sachets of felix twice a week!  ;D
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #924 on: January 28, 2021, 03:45:01 pm »
Cute cat there Damo!

Our cat has always been fairly funny with food and we went though stages where she would eat something for 6 months and then turn her nose up . The only constant she has ever had is Whiskers dry food first thing . In the afternoon for the last year we have massively alternated what she has  from Felix Soup either Farm or Fish , tuna and something called Webbox Lick E Lix where there are loads of different flavours

When we used to give her Whiskers / Felix or other wet foods she used to literally eat the jelly or gravy and leave the rest so that's why we went with the soups
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #925 on: January 28, 2021, 03:55:07 pm »
Wow!

He is super cute!

Thanks, it's cute watching them grow, he's a bit more gangly and cat-like now rather than a ball of fur. We've had him just short of 2 weeks now and he's generally as good as gold apart from a manic hour in the mornings when he's trying to run up the curtains while I'm in meetings.

One thing I did want to ask anyone with experience is around playful aggression. Nico has two sides, when he's calm you can stroke him and he's lovely but you see a switch turn in his head and he becomes boisterous and wanting to play and he grabs on to hands and gnaws playfully but he gets over-excited and will bite a little too hard. We generally just walk away from him but he will always do it. I'm seeing different things online about how this is normal and he's learning and others which say they shouldn't be anywhere near your hands and they will just keep doing it into adulthood.

Is it just a kitten phase he will grow out of? I can deal with the odd little tooth mark because it is cute to be fair!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #926 on: January 28, 2021, 04:29:22 pm »
Thanks, it's cute watching them grow, he's a bit more gangly and cat-like now rather than a ball of fur. We've had him just short of 2 weeks now and he's generally as good as gold apart from a manic hour in the mornings when he's trying to run up the curtains while I'm in meetings.

One thing I did want to ask anyone with experience is around playful aggression. Nico has two sides, when he's calm you can stroke him and he's lovely but you see a switch turn in his head and he becomes boisterous and wanting to play and he grabs on to hands and gnaws playfully but he gets over-excited and will bite a little too hard. We generally just walk away from him but he will always do it. I'm seeing different things online about how this is normal and he's learning and others which say they shouldn't be anywhere near your hands and they will just keep doing it into adulthood.

Is it just a kitten phase he will grow out of? I can deal with the odd little tooth mark because it is cute to be fair!
Our cat used to do the same, we generally tried to distract her with toys and made sure she knew that attention or affection would be withdrawn if she went for us.

She doesn't do it now, a few months off being classed an adult cat so maybe it is more a kitten phase thing while they learn. I've never had a cat before so it's all new to me.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #927 on: January 28, 2021, 04:49:56 pm »
Webbox Lick E Lix where there are loads of different flavours

Absolute cat crack!

Our cat LOVES this stuff. She is so intune to it, if we mentioned the word treat she goes mental as she knows one of these is coming her way.

If you want your cat to love you, get on this stuff!

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #928 on: January 28, 2021, 04:51:10 pm »
Our cat used to do the same, we generally tried to distract her with toys and made sure she knew that attention or affection would be withdrawn if she went for us.

She doesn't do it now, a few months off being classed an adult cat so maybe it is more a kitten phase thing while they learn. I've never had a cat before so it's all new to me.

That's good to know, I assumed it was a kitten phase and we seem to be dealing with it the same way you are so hopefully I won't have an adult cat tearing me to shreds.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #929 on: January 28, 2021, 04:55:52 pm »
Thanks mate - I always clean her bowl because she's quite fastidious with cleanliness and won't really touch her food if the bowl hasn't been washed prior. I do think she's being picky because if we just leave the food there, she does eventually eat it.

Rather not pay £4 for a few sachets of felix twice a week!  ;D

Tesco normally do boxes of food (we use either Purina Gourmet range or Sheeba range in gravy) - 2 for £8. And you can mix and match them with dry food.

So we will leave out a bowl of dry food all day for her to nibble at and give her one pouch of wet food normally and that does her. A bag of dry food lasts ages - weeks at a time, and one pouch a day means those boxes will last nearly 2 weeks. Our cat is quite good in that she is a healthy weight, has been consistently and doesn't seem to over eat whereas I know some cats do and can, so not sure it's advisable for all cats but it works quite well for us - there is always food there if she needs/wants it.

Have you tried dry food at all? It might be interesting to leave a bowl out and see how she takes to it. You can get small pouches/boxes so you don't have to buy a big one, just to test and see if she likes it. It might cut down on the amount of wet food you go through!

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #930 on: January 28, 2021, 08:04:10 pm »
My cat goes off her wet food now and then too, I alternate it and usually after a few days she's happy eating it again. She's usually on the Aldi stuff, but now and then webbox. Also alternate between the gravy and jelly stuff. Think they are just picky!

Absolute cat crack!

Our cat LOVES this stuff. She is so intune to it, if we mentioned the word treat she goes mental as she knows one of these is coming her way.

Same here. Favourite treat!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: January 28, 2021, 08:44:57 pm »
Beautiful little kitty damo. Agree on the licky lix stuff, it's laced with catnip I'm sure!

Got a little issue with my cat. We moved into a new house a year ago but he always runs off to my mums house, which is half a mile away. No idea how he finds his way there because he has to go on some very busy roads. He sleeps here at my house for about four nights then runs off back there. No idea where he goes because most of the time I go to get him he's not there. And when my mum tries to feed him, he always wants it outside regardless of cold or rainy it is.

Is it because he misses his old grounds where his friends are? That I can understand but I have no idea why he never comes inside. Even when it was heavily snowing a few weeks ago, my mum opened the door for him but all he did was sit there and meow for food. Very weird behaviour.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:46:47 pm by King.Keita »

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #932 on: January 28, 2021, 08:57:43 pm »
Beautiful little kitty damo. Agree on the licky lix stuff, it's laced with catnip I'm sure!

Got a little issue with my cat. We moved into a new house a year ago but he always runs off to my mums house, which is half a mile away. No idea how he finds his way there because he has to go on some very busy roads. He sleeps here at my house for about four nights then runs off back there. No idea where he goes because most of the time I go to get him he's not there. And when my mum tries to feed him, he always wants it outside regardless of cold or rainy it is.

Is it because he misses his old grounds where his friends are? That I can understand but I have no idea why he never comes inside. Even when it was heavily snowing a few weeks ago, my mum opened the door for him but all he did was sit there and meow for food. Very weird behaviour.

Does he go in when you're there? He might want to check up on  his territory, but then realise that you're not there, so thinks its the wrong house.

The busy roads on the way there sound scary. Maybe your mum needs to stop feeding him, so he doesn't associate going back with food?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #933 on: January 28, 2021, 09:08:03 pm »
Does he go in when you're there? He might want to check up on  his territory, but then realise that you're not there, so thinks its the wrong house.

The busy roads on the way there sound scary. Maybe your mum needs to stop feeding him, so he doesn't associate going back with food?
Nope doesn't even come in when I go there, just sits outside and meows.

He's gone there many times now so he must know a quicker way round there. Erm, about the feeding bit, I'm guilty lol. I feed him because I can't sometimes find him so I leave biscuits to stop him going hungry, should I not do that?

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: January 28, 2021, 10:06:20 pm »
Nope doesn't even come in when I go there, just sits outside and meows.

He's gone there many times now so he must know a quicker way round there. Erm, about the feeding bit, I'm guilty lol. I feed him because I can't sometimes find him so I leave biscuits to stop him going hungry, should I not do that?

I he can find his way there, he can find his way back to where the food is too.
But I know its hard, I would probably leave food too lol, but it'll make him go back there. It'd be better to scoop him up, take him back to yours, and only feed him there.

Maybe get him a tracker, so you can find him? If it's fairly open, a gps one will work, if there's lots of houses, a radio one is better. I have a Girafus one, it works fine for what I need it, and the cat seems not to mind it.

Online Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #935 on: January 29, 2021, 02:14:12 pm »
Absolute cat crack!

Definitely , we only discovered them last year , First time I opened one I thought this looks vile and she won't like this . How wrong could I be  ;D
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: January 29, 2021, 07:28:37 pm »
I he can find his way there, he can find his way back to where the food is too.
But I know its hard, I would probably leave food too lol, but it'll make him go back there. It'd be better to scoop him up, take him back to yours, and only feed him there.

Maybe get him a tracker, so you can find him? If it's fairly open, a gps one will work, if there's lots of houses, a radio one is better. I have a Girafus one, it works fine for what I need it, and the cat seems not to mind it.
That's the problem unfortunately, he knows his way there but not back. I always have to go get him and sometimes he even runs away from me! The fat cat

Used to have a Vodafone tracker but wasn't great, might try the Girafus one.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #937 on: February 2, 2021, 05:22:15 pm »
Thank you for previous advice, all.

What RedByrdz has said seems to be the issue with my cat, she's just a picky little shit  ;D She now licks the gravy or jelly off her food and leaves it. I've been cleaning her bowls after every meal too, but sometimes she's just leaving stuff completely. There's definitely nothing wrong with her because she went wild for a bit of chicken we gave her the other day, and she always tries to get in the sink to catch any bits when I'm draining a tin of tuna etc.

I'm going to change her food and then rotate, hopefully she finds something she'll properly dig into, and we'll look to change it before she has chance to 'get sick of it.'

All this for a cat! Lovely little thing though.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #938 on: May 20, 2021, 03:04:14 pm »
We're adopting a female tabby in a few weeks time.  We minded one last year for a couple of months for a friend and got very attached to her.

She's about a year old and has been spayed and vaccinated. She seems to have a lovely temperament.

Just wondering if anyone has any decent links for buying cat products whether food or litter / toys etc?

And any advice on how to help a cat settle into a new home environment would be appreciated. We have countryside around us so we're not sure as to when will be the right time to let her explore for herself.
There's lots of birds and other cats knocking about too.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #939 on: May 20, 2021, 03:23:50 pm »
We're adopting a female tabby in a few weeks time.  We minded one last year for a couple of months for a friend and got very attached to her.

She's about a year old and has been spayed and vaccinated. She seems to have a lovely temperament.

Just wondering if anyone has any decent links for buying cat products whether food or litter / toys etc?

And any advice on how to help a cat settle into a new home environment would be appreciated. We have countryside around us so we're not sure as to when will be the right time to let her explore for herself.
There's lots of birds and other cats knocking about too.

I took in two from the RSPCA almost three years ago (RSPCA thought they were both about 4yo, though I think perhaps a bit younger).  Took them into a back room in their carry boxes, opened the door, put out a bit of food and let them come out in their own time & explore, without being pushy about it.  Once they seemed comfortable, I just gradually opened up the other spaces so that they could explore the house more widely room-by-room (same day).  Think I kept them in for about 6 weeks before letting them out - just supervised them in the yard the first few times, and kept some food on hand to coax them back.  When you first let them out, do it shortly before the meal time that you've established so they are inclined to keep close & come back.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #940 on: May 20, 2021, 03:42:28 pm »

Here's Nico.

He was quiet all last night which was good. Got up to play with him for a couple of hours this morning hoping to tire him out knowing I'm working from home and need to be concentrating from 9am onwards but that hasn't stopped him from trying to climb up my legs constantly.

I'm just diagnosing from the picture you've posted and the descriptions you've provided, but it seems to me that your cat is suffering from severe cuteness. Have you thought about getting a second or third opinion from other informed forums? I suggest mumsnet or Facebook.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #941 on: June 8, 2021, 11:58:29 am »
Hi all

We adopted a female tabby, she's about 1 year old. She's still getting used to us and the house.

We bought a climbing tower but she's a bit reluctant to climb it. We did tempt her onto it with a treat.

Just wondering would maybe catnip spray or a catnip toy be a good idea?

She's been waking us very early I think because she's wide awake at sunrise and wanting attention and has been meowing but we're trying not to go to her and create a sort of attention reward scenario.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: June 8, 2021, 12:13:30 pm »
I'm just diagnosing from the picture you've posted and the descriptions you've provided, but it seems to me that your cat is suffering from severe cuteness. Have you thought about getting a second or third opinion from other informed forums? I suggest mumsnet or Facebook.

Haha, just seen this. He's all lanky and teenage now but the best thing for him was being able to go outside. He is still too small to get out the back garden so we just let him run in and out and it burns all his energy off chasing insects. The week before he was allowed out (due to not being castrated) he was a nightmare. He can still get a bit bitey when we try to stroke him and he's in too much of a playful mood but hopefully he'll grow out of it.

Hi all

We adopted a female tabby, she's about 1 year old. She's still getting used to us and the house.

We bought a climbing tower but she's a bit reluctant to climb it. We did tempt her onto it with a treat.

She's been waking us very early I think because she's wide awake at sunrise and wanting attention and has been meowing but we're trying not to go to her and create a sort of attention reward scenario.

The one thing I've learned from getting our kitten is basically they do what the fuck they like and it's usually the opposite of what you hoped. We bought ours two different types of bed and he actively hates both of them, spreading his legs trying to avoid touching them when you try and plonk him on them. We've bought him toys we think he's love but he would rather play fetch with a leaf.

He can be hit and miss in the mornings. Sometimes we don't hear a peep until we go downstairs to him, other times he can be meowing but will generally stop if it's too early and we ignore him.

He generally enjoys the catnip toys. My father in law brought us a little catnip plant that we keep in a pot in the garden. Weirdly he doesn't bother with it until you snap a leaf off then he loves it.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2021, 12:15:41 pm by Damo58 »

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #943 on: June 8, 2021, 06:29:18 pm »
Hi all

Try the catnip, not all cats go for it. Mine likes those toys, but not more than other new toys, and is pretty meh about dry catnip. More important than the toy is that you play with them.

I'd try make the climbing tower interesting by putting something that moves on it (like tie a feather or one of those fluffy cat toys to the top, so that it moves a bit in the air). Then just leave it and pretend to not pay any attention. The cat might get curious and go and have a look. Or maybe put it somewhere where sitting on top is an advantage - like, you can look out of the window from there, or into the kitchen, or it's warm and sunny.

Regarding the early waking up - if you want the cat to sleep in, make her tired before going to bed. Plenty of playtime, or being allowed outdoors for a longer time.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: June 9, 2021, 02:23:59 pm »
Try the catnip, not all cats go for it. Mine likes those toys, but not more than other new toys, and is pretty meh about dry catnip. More important than the toy is that you play with them.

I'd try make the climbing tower interesting by putting something that moves on it (like tie a feather or one of those fluffy cat toys to the top, so that it moves a bit in the air). Then just leave it and pretend to not pay any attention. The cat might get curious and go and have a look. Or maybe put it somewhere where sitting on top is an advantage - like, you can look out of the window from there, or into the kitchen, or it's warm and sunny.

Regarding the early waking up - if you want the cat to sleep in, make her tired before going to bed. Plenty of playtime, or being allowed outdoors for a longer time.

Cheers. Yeah we have been trying to tire here out before bed. We play with her during the morning/day when possible.  The climbing tower is by the window and we have a birdfeeder outside so she climbs it to get onto the window sill to look at the birds but doesn't really spend time on the tower or in one of the sleeping bits of it yet sadly. She sleeps during the day like most cats but between 4 and 6am seems to be the time she gets active and wants us to know about it.
We bought a comfy bed and she has no interest in it, and I got a big cardboard box and made holes big enough for her to go in and our of as cats usually like exploring or playing in them and she blanked that too! :D  Instead she found a cubby hole behind the TV in the kitchen, like part of the cupboard unit which is her new sleeping spot so we popped a blanket in there and she seems content there as before that we found her sleeping on one of the beds.

Will maybe give the catnip a go and see if that is fun for her.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #945 on: June 9, 2021, 03:09:48 pm »
Forgot to add her pic...

Online Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #946 on: June 16, 2021, 08:30:10 am »
5.30 this morning you could hear the birds outside going absolutely mental . Wife gets out of bed and looks out of the window and says Olive is bringing you a present so dash downstairs as she has just come through the cat flap and drops a bird at my feet that then decides to flap around the room

Weirdly enough we were discussing at the weekend that she hadn't brought anything in this year

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #947 on: June 16, 2021, 12:09:20 pm »
5.30 this morning you could hear the birds outside going absolutely mental . Wife gets out of bed and looks out of the window and says Olive is bringing you a present so dash downstairs as she has just come through the cat flap and drops a bird at my feet that then decides to flap around the room

Weirdly enough we were discussing at the weekend that she hadn't brought anything in this year

The cat I had growing up did this only once after my mum went crazy. The bird in this case was a mouse mind you.  ;D

My current indoor cat however, is very proud when he catches a leaf flying about on the veranda.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: June 16, 2021, 01:07:52 pm »
My cat caught a tiny bird last week. Had no idea what was in his mouth though, thought it was a crisp packet or something so just before I let him in, he meowed at me which gave the bird a chance to fly away. Safe to say he wasn't happy with himself the rest of the day ;D

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: June 23, 2021, 11:08:29 am »
I put a cat flap in for Nico last week and he's been using it to come and go through the day and he generally goes out of a night but he's always waiting for us in the kitchen in the morning for food but he's no where to be seen today. We don't live on or particularly close to a busy road so I don't think he's been hit by a car. I know they're aloof little bastards and it's only been just over 3 hours but it's the first time we haven't known where he is and why he's not here.

I guess he will show up at some point. 

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #950 on: June 23, 2021, 01:21:42 pm »
I put a cat flap in for Nico last week and he's been using it to come and go through the day and he generally goes out of a night but he's always waiting for us in the kitchen in the morning for food but he's no where to be seen today. We don't live on or particularly close to a busy road so I don't think he's been hit by a car. I know they're aloof little bastards and it's only been just over 3 hours but it's the first time we haven't known where he is and why he's not here.

I guess he will show up at some point. 
Try not to worry too much yet. Our first cat used to like to be out at night and disappeared off once or twice for over 24 hours. Just keep calling him or perhaps leave some food out and hopefully he’ll turn up. Could also have a walk about around your area see if you can spot him.

They can be stubborn as fuck. Was calling ours for hour last night. Got to the point where I went to get his food bowl and banged that a few times. All of a sudden he casually walks across our garden to me from the patio where he’d probably been the whole time just couldn’t be arsed to come in because it didn’t suit!
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: June 23, 2021, 01:33:53 pm »
Try not to worry too much yet. Our first cat used to like to be out at night and disappeared off once or twice for over 24 hours. Just keep calling him or perhaps leave some food out and hopefully he’ll turn up. Could also have a walk about around your area see if you can spot him.

They can be stubborn as fuck. Was calling ours for hour last night. Got to the point where I went to get his food bowl and banged that a few times. All of a sudden he casually walks across our garden to me from the patio where he’d probably been the whole time just couldn’t be arsed to come in because it didn’t suit!

Thanks for the reassurance. He is still not back. I think I'm more worried because he's still relatively young and quite small so I worry about him being trapped somewhere and not able to get out. Also, he hates the rain and always legs it back to the house whenever it is raining.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: June 23, 2021, 01:38:02 pm »
I tried catnip

I tried the catnip spray from a pet supplies shop and put it on some toys and her tower etc but she didn't seem to take any notice of it whatsoever.

She's been very erratic, we feed her wet food in the mornning and before bed at night and she has dry food there to peck at if she's hungry and water although she doesn't seem to drink very much at all. Plus some treats during the day occasionally when we are eating lunch / dinner etc as if she fancies something on our plates we have to shoo her away.
Problem we have is she can go off and sleep or wander aorund the house and not bother us at all one night and the next she's flying up and down the stairs and down the hall at 4.30 in the morning and/or mewing for attention. We ignore her of course when she does that but it's messing with our sleep.  She's been a loveable rogue so far.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #953 on: June 23, 2021, 01:39:48 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance. He is still not back. I think I'm more worried because he's still relatively young and quite small so I worry about him being trapped somewhere and not able to get out. Also, he hates the rain and always legs it back to the house whenever it is raining.
They do get shut in places from time to time to as you say, especially this time of year when people have sheds and garages and back doors open a bit more, so that’s possible. Fingers crossed he turns up soon, I hate it when they’re away for longer than usual
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: June 23, 2021, 09:16:56 pm »

Mine's gone missing a couple of times, and every time was locked in a neighbour's house very close by. I'd give the neighbours a knock and ask.

If he's not wearing a collar its also possible that someone thought he's a stray and has taken him in.

Dunno where you are, but there's usually facebook groups to help find missing pets, if he isn't back soon.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: June 24, 2021, 07:23:55 am »
Mine's gone missing a couple of times, and every time was locked in a neighbour's house very close by. I'd give the neighbours a knock and ask.

If he's not wearing a collar its also possible that someone thought he's a stray and has taken him in.

Dunno where you are, but there's usually facebook groups to help find missing pets, if he isn't back soon.

Cheers, he's still not back so getting a bit frantic now. He hasn't got a collar on because I was worried about them catching (even though you can get snap off ones i just didn't think it was necessary with microchipping).

We've been out loads walking round the roads and no sign of him. We are going to start knocking on neighbours doors later.

Our next door neighbour did say that the couple over the back have taken in next door but one's cat before now, knowing it was owned by someone else. I knocked on their door last night and asked if they'd seen him and they said no. If I find out he's in there I'll be smashing their house up.

Online Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #956 on: June 24, 2021, 08:03:04 am »
Cheers, he's still not back so getting a bit frantic now. He hasn't got a collar on because I was worried about them catching (even though you can get snap off ones i just didn't think it was necessary with microchipping).

We've been out loads walking round the roads and no sign of him. We are going to start knocking on neighbours doors later.

Our next door neighbour did say that the couple over the back have taken in next door but one's cat before now, knowing it was owned by someone else. I knocked on their door last night and asked if they'd seen him and they said no. If I find out he's in there I'll be smashing their house up.

We have a snap on collar on ours but that's more from my daughters point of view as it looks nice , in the first year we lost about a dozen collars somewhere but she has had this on for ages .

It's worrying for you but when i lived at home my mum had a cat that used to disappear for a day here and there quite regular to be honest mate , she was a very friendly cat that would go in other peoples house

My brother had a cat that would disappear for days at a time

Olive who we have now is a very scared cat and won't go near other people and very rarely ventures out for more than a few hours here and there

But ultimately they are like humans that they are all different and try not to worry to much , I'd knock on some doors and ask people to check sheds/garages etc

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #957 on: June 24, 2021, 08:07:36 am »
We have a snap on collar on ours but that's more from my daughters point of view as it looks nice , in the first year we lost about a dozen collars somewhere but she has had this on for ages .

It's worrying for you but when i lived at home my mum had a cat that used to disappear for a day here and there quite regular to be honest mate , she was a very friendly cat that would go in other peoples house

My brother had a cat that would disappear for days at a time

Olive who we have now is a very scared cat and won't go near other people and very rarely ventures out for more than a few hours here and there

But ultimately they are like humans that they are all different and try not to worry to much , I'd knock on some doors and ask people to check sheds/garages etc

We're going to start knocking at lunch and then after work. I could probably cope if I knew he was being fed by someone else and is safe but it's quite upsetting to think he's trapped or hurt somewhere.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #958 on: June 24, 2021, 08:22:33 am »

He'll be back, cats are very good at looking after themselves.

If there are any empty houses or sheds, go out early and call him, you might hear him answer, if he's locked in and can't get out.

Are you in Liverpool?

Online Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #959 on: June 24, 2021, 08:32:10 am »
We're going to start knocking at lunch and then after work. I could probably cope if I knew he was being fed by someone else and is safe but it's quite upsetting to think he's trapped or hurt somewhere.

Cat's are extremely adaptable to be honest , i know it's easy for me to say don't worry and i have been in your position before a few times and it's a hard feeling but hopefully when you get home at dinner you will have a cat sleeping  :)

It's dinner and not lunch as well  ;)