Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 310759 times)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2880 on: May 5, 2021, 03:43:53 pm »
So the flaps are still chained in place which isn't a great sign, but we're still 2 hours away from the launch window

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2881 on: May 5, 2021, 05:03:37 pm »
It’s just done an ambient vent… seems like a good sign..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2882 on: May 5, 2021, 05:03:52 pm »
Looks like they're about to unchain the flaps

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2883 on: May 5, 2021, 05:06:44 pm »
Looks like they're about to unchain the flaps
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2884 on: May 5, 2021, 06:31:18 pm »
https://twitter.com/BocaChicaGal/status/1389994195910283265

Looks like the village is being cleared! We're on!!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2885 on: May 5, 2021, 09:22:25 pm »
Flaps have retracted from the flight position :(

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2886 on: May 5, 2021, 10:01:20 pm »
Seems to be still on
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2887 on: May 5, 2021, 10:02:39 pm »
Flaps back in position!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2888 on: May 5, 2021, 10:09:14 pm »
Recondenser has started, looks like they're starting to fuel Starship!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2889 on: May 5, 2021, 10:48:20 pm »
https://www.spacex.com/vehicles/starship/

SpaceX stream countdown!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPNvB5ComFw

NASASpaceflight for those who prefer this

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2890 on: May 5, 2021, 10:54:35 pm »
Already watching with great anticipation. :)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2891 on: May 5, 2021, 11:02:42 pm »
I've had the NASASpaceflight stream on since they went live :lmao man these guys can stretch a day out talking about the same stuff over and over haha

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2892 on: May 5, 2021, 11:06:40 pm »
I've had the NASASpaceflight stream on since they went live :lmao man these guys can stretch a day out talking about the same stuff over and over haha
What, you are telling me that these speaker looking things are actually speakers?

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #2893 on: May 5, 2021, 11:07:12 pm »
Is the countdown on the Space X site to the launch or to the start of their streaming coverage?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2894 on: May 5, 2021, 11:15:29 pm »
What, you are telling me that these speaker looking things are actually speakers?

Not sure I follow?

Is the countdown on the Space X site to the launch or to the start of their streaming coverage?

I think it's their live stream start but could be the countdown to launch, best just to keep it on then go over to it when they start talking!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2895 on: May 5, 2021, 11:18:39 pm »
T-6 mins

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2896 on: May 5, 2021, 11:31:24 pm »
Landed, but there's a fire on the bottom so it may blow again!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2897 on: May 5, 2021, 11:32:41 pm »
A successful soft landing on its legs but the fire is still burning

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2898 on: May 5, 2021, 11:34:13 pm »
Really soft landing…

Nailed it totally.. but where’s the fire come from?
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2899 on: May 5, 2021, 11:36:54 pm »
Think the fire might be out

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2900 on: May 5, 2021, 11:40:09 pm »

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2901 on: May 5, 2021, 11:47:56 pm »
Not sure I follow?

The NASA guys were talking about the pillar with the loudspeakers and were asking what those were. The guy answered that those were loudspeakers. So they were laughing about that. I though you were listening at that very moment when you posted, so you'd have heard the same. :)

Good going today! Congrats to SpaceX and all involved. I would say "nominal landing" as Musk did, but a successful one nonetheless.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2902 on: May 5, 2021, 11:49:54 pm »
Ahhhhh sorry mate I wasn't haha I've been listening to them for over 9 hours now sometimes I switch off haha

Although do they realise their landing t merch looks like someone is wearing a massive dick on their chest right?

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2903 on: May 6, 2021, 06:25:24 am »
Run for your lives!... :)

A Chinese rocket is falling back to earth, expected reentry on May 8. While the probabilities of having a serious impact on human lives is small, this should not happen on a regular basis; only accidents are acceptable. But with China building mire stuff in space, I expect that to be the norm. And that's scary, because the probabilities add up.

https://www.dw.com/en/chinese-rocket-debris-set-to-crash-back-to-earth-soon-us-military-says/a-57441932

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2904 on: May 6, 2021, 11:06:51 am »
It also uses seriously harmful fuel for literally everything as well doesn't it?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2906 on: May 6, 2021, 07:42:34 pm »
It's good they had a successful launch and landing.  From the blurb, it seems the fire came from methane fuel venting or leaking, and is actually considered normal?

I think after so many failed landings with Starship, the pressure was starting to creep in for SN15 to work.  Fortunately, whilst NASA, ESA, Russia, China etc are very good at launching rockets, nobody it seems is better than Space X at landing them.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2907 on: May 6, 2021, 07:49:17 pm »
As far as I know SpaceX are the only ones who can land them, but they also happen to be pretty good at launching them too!

I'm sure as things go forward they'll get better at landing with no fires.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2908 on: May 6, 2021, 07:52:47 pm »
I wonder what they have planned for SN15? 

Recycle the bits? Museum piece?

W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2909 on: May 6, 2021, 07:55:23 pm »
They landed with two engines so maybe another launch and an attempt at landing with one?

Either that or Musk will blow it up just because he can ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2910 on: May 7, 2021, 08:22:32 am »
Scott Manley delves into SN15, and who here doesn't enjoy a nice bit of Scott Manley? :D

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/7IDMM63InLY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/7IDMM63InLY</a>

As a sidebar, whilst the protests against Space X winning the lunar contract is expected, I still find it distasteful. The other consortiums are complaining they weren't offered the chance to negotiate and reduce their price. Well, duh. How do you reduce costs without cutting corners? And if you can, then why were the costs so high in the first place? Did their bids offer various iterations of their designs for a range of cost projections? It would seem not.

Space X is out there, doing the work, and you can visibly see the technology coming together. That's partly why Musk does it this way. They don't have to resort to guesswork when it comes to costing, not at this stage at least.

Does starship fly with a mass simulator or are they still just concentrating on teaching it to fly?

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2911 on: May 7, 2021, 01:43:17 pm »
Musk has said this

Might try to refly SN15 soon

How exciting!!
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2912 on: May 7, 2021, 01:56:11 pm »
Oh that is exciting! Wonder if they'll change anything like the height the fly to?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2913 on: May 7, 2021, 02:00:11 pm »
They like to test the hardware till it breaks. It's a good way to measure the endurance and turnaround time of the technology. Plus, it'll be a few weeks yet till SN16 is ready to go, so it will give the enthusiasts something to chew on in the meantime.  :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2914 on: May 7, 2021, 05:05:05 pm »
They like to test the hardware till it breaks. It's a good way to measure the endurance and turnaround time of the technology. Plus, it'll be a few weeks yet till SN16 is ready to go, so it will give the enthusiasts something to chew on in the meantime.  :)
SN16 looks nearly done to me….  If they leave it, it might just fall over.  Why take the chance?
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2915 on: May 7, 2021, 06:48:25 pm »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2916 on: May 7, 2021, 09:26:01 pm »
SN16 looks nearly done to me….  If they leave it, it might just fall over.  Why take the chance?

Well according to Scott Manley, SN16 is still a couple of weeks away.  I'm presuming he's basing on what Space X have said.  And if there's talk of reflying SN15 then I imagine they'll do it pretty soon.  They've sent the crawler out to collect it, haven't they?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2917 on: May 14, 2021, 10:55:14 am »
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/spacex-first-orbital-starship-rocket-flight-plan-revealed.html

This is exciting!

Also don't know when SN15 is due to fly next but I know the landing legs were pretty much destroyed from seeing pictures. Anyone have any news?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2918 on: May 14, 2021, 01:23:15 pm »
Starship will deorbit over the pacific just in case it breaks up on rentry!

What fun
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2919 on: May 14, 2021, 05:27:53 pm »
SN15 is on the launch pad ;D