Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282416 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2320 on: March 3, 2021, 05:52:48 pm »
I can't help with that bird call, but it reminded me of when we were out feeding the squirrels in Sefton Park on Monday. We were in a small wooded area and just a couple of feet away from me was a little Robin singing its head off. What a lovely song it was too. I watched him or her for ages.

A bird sighting of a different kind today. I was cleaning the windows at my Mum's place. I'm out in the back garden when a Sparrowhawk swoops in and tries to swipe a Sparrow off the bird feeder. Thankfully for the little Sparrow, it missed then landed on the shed. I chased it off then. I like them, and I know they have to eat, but it's not having another of our Sparrows.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2321 on: March 3, 2021, 06:01:12 pm »
Been meaning to find this out for over 20 years.  Now is the time.

Was in hospital after a serious car accident in Feb 2000.  As i started to recover around Easter time, I remember hearing a particular bird call through the hospital window.

Every year at this time and up until Easter, I hear the same bird call and think back.  I heard it again this morning.  Its quite a basic call I'd say and just one quite high pitched note of a 2 or 3 seconds tops.

I have just listened to a load of common bird calls on the RSPB website but nothing sounds familiar.

So my question is - What birds or songs would we expect or associate with this time of year?  Will try and record the call tomorrow morning if I hear it again

cheers.

could it be a greenfinch?

here's 2 links to one note calls they make -

the first link is a youtube link which should take you to the call at 2:06 and the second link make sure to listen to the 'call' file half way down the page

https://youtu.be/qLOABRQYqRA?t=126

https://www.wildlifegarden.co.uk/living-garden/bird-school/greenfinch.html
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2322 on: March 3, 2021, 06:03:12 pm »
I can't help with that bird call, but it reminded me of when we were out feeding the squirrels in Sefton Park on Monday. We were in a small wooded area and just a couple of feet away from me was a little Robin singing its head off. What a lovely song it was too. I watched him or her for ages.

A bird sighting of a different kind today. I was cleaning the windows at my Mum's place. I'm out in the back garden when a Sparrowhawk swoops in and tries to swipe a Sparrow off the bird feeder. Thankfully for the little Sparrow, it missed then landed on the shed. I chased it off then. I like them, and I know they have to eat, but it's not having another of our Sparrows.

you old softie
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2323 on: March 3, 2021, 06:04:41 pm »
you old softie
I always look out for the little guy.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2324 on: March 3, 2021, 06:15:33 pm »
As you said the Thrush has a really varied call (Just listened to it on tube)

Nah don't think I'm hearing a Thrush.  Its just one note as far as I can tell.

Have you checked the mistle thrush and not just the song thrush?

No idea what they sound like as I'm not sure I've ever heard one.

I can't think I've heard what you describe as it sounds more like a call rather than a song which are totally different.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2325 on: March 4, 2021, 12:57:55 pm »
There's an app called Chirp-o-Matic that identifies birds by song, Adam Buxton recommends it. Haven't tried it myself yet.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2326 on: March 4, 2021, 03:51:33 pm »
I think I just saw a wee goldcrest in the garden - like a little ball of fluff, buff coloured but with a distinctive yellow mohican.

Not seen one before, don't know if that's because I see more working from home or if they are just visiting.  I don't think it saw me at first, I was cleaning out the feeders underneath our dwarf silver birch and it was picking its way through the weeping branches just a few feet away.

Couldn't get a pic but pretty sure this was it. Made up if it was.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2327 on: March 4, 2021, 05:55:07 pm »
I think I just saw a wee goldcrest in the garden - like a little ball of fluff, buff coloured but with a distinctive yellow mohican.

Not seen one before, don't know if that's because I see more working from home or if they are just visiting.  I don't think it saw me at first, I was cleaning out the feeders underneath our dwarf silver birch and it was picking its way through the weeping branches just a few feet away.

Couldn't get a pic but pretty sure this was it. Made up if it was.

sounds like a goldcrest - great bird to have in your garden  :)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2328 on: March 4, 2021, 06:04:10 pm »
We watched a Goldcrest feeding in Sefton Park a few weeks ago. It was the first one Mrs. Spion had ever seen, so she was well chuffed.  :)

I think I've mentioned it here before, but the first one I ever saw was via a rather bizarre encounter. I used to be an outreach carer for a guy in Maghull. Looking after him one day I heard a thump on the patio door. I looked around but saw nothing until I looked down. There, on the deck, was a little Goldcrest. He must have flown into the glass and knocked himself out. I actually thought he was dead, so I picked him up and put him on top of the bin so I could bury him later. Just as well I didn't do it straight away, because the little guy recovered and flew away.  :D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2329 on: March 4, 2021, 06:39:24 pm »
We seem to have a kite near us now. Noticed it on a walk the other day, he was hovering over the allotments looking for something. Then outside today saw him again (guessing it’s the same one).

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2330 on: March 5, 2021, 09:03:35 am »
We seem to have a kite near us now. Noticed it on a walk the other day, he was hovering over the allotments looking for something. Then outside today saw him again (guessing it’s the same one).

cool - where's that?

is it local?

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2331 on: March 5, 2021, 09:03:45 am »
We watched a Goldcrest feeding in Sefton Park a few weeks ago. It was the first one Mrs. Spion had ever seen, so she was well chuffed.  :)

I think I've mentioned it here before, but the first one I ever saw was via a rather bizarre encounter. I used to be an outreach carer for a guy in Maghull. Looking after him one day I heard a thump on the patio door. I looked around but saw nothing until I looked down. There, on the deck, was a little Goldcrest. He must have flown into the glass and knocked himself out. I actually thought he was dead, so I picked him up and put him on top of the bin so I could bury him later. Just as well I didn't do it straight away, because the little guy recovered and flew away.  :D

we've had a few bird strikes at the back doors (french windows) and one day there was a louder than usual thud when i saw this guy staggering around on the floor like someone coming out of the local pub at closing time

i just did a soft whistling noise so he didn't panic and grabbed my camera

after about a minute he cleared his head and flew into the acers at the back and hid away but his mum came back with a few reassuring chirps and a nice big worm to entice him back out into the real world, which he eventually did - this time without thumping into the windows

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2332 on: March 5, 2021, 09:06:36 am »
cool - where's that?

is it local?

I’m in West London. I know there are loads of them about half an hour up the M40 as you always see them circling around up there, but one of them must have decided to venture closer into town.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2333 on: March 5, 2021, 09:35:52 am »
I’m in West London. I know there are loads of them about half an hour up the M40 as you always see them circling around up there, but one of them must have decided to venture closer into town.

oh - i'm in liverpool

only ever seen one round here and that was a red kite

when this pandemic is at an end i'm going on one long birding trip

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2334 on: March 5, 2021, 10:12:07 am »
oh - i'm in liverpool

You don't even need to go as far as London to see the kites. I go to a Tesco RDC in Reading and once I'm on the A34 I start to see them, but the main concentration appears to be heading from the M40 at High Wycombe, down the A404 towards the M4 and along the M4 - plenty of woods. I've actually seen one swoop onto the carriageway on the M40. I also saw a Sea Eagle near Oxford last year, its had settled with the Kites, but its now back on the Isle of Wight.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2335 on: March 5, 2021, 10:17:18 am »
You don't even need to go as far as London to see the kites. I go to a Tesco RDC in Reading and once I'm on the A34 I start to see them, but the main concentration appears to be heading from the M40 at High Wycombe, down the A404 towards the M4 and along the M4 - plenty of woods. I've actually seen one swoop onto the carriageway on the M40. I also saw a Sea Eagle near Oxford last year, its had settled with the Kites, but its now back on the Isle of Wight.

That’s the spot Rob. Think they reintroduced them there a while back. You see them on the M40 around Beaconsfield/Wycombe way and think you’re right with the other bit. Some friends of ours moved out to Maidenhead kind of way and you always se them circling around from their garden.

This is the first time I’ve seen one around where I live though. Do they nest? Presume they must do. Theresa few parks around here so quite a few wooded areas for them.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2336 on: March 5, 2021, 10:19:06 am »

What's Acton like Nick?

Far too many Kites.

:)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2337 on: March 5, 2021, 10:24:51 am »
That’s the spot Rob. Think they reintroduced them there a while back. You see them on the M40 around Beaconsfield/Wycombe way and think you’re right with the other bit. Some friends of ours moved out to Maidenhead kind of way and you always se them circling around from their garden.

This is the first time I’ve seen one around where I live though. Do they nest? Presume they must do. Theresa few parks around here so quite a few wooded areas for them.

I think they are starting to spread out, which is understandable as the population grows and the areas get saturated. I was last in Reading in July I think, that was the day I saw the Eagle. Kites are easy to spot, due to the shape of the tail, the Eagle dwarfed them in size. There were a few hunting off the M40 from Chievely services all the way to the M404 and I saw more and more as I headed back to Wycombe, so it's no surprise to see they have gotten as far as West London.

They nest high up in trees, so the wooded areas are perfect for them.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2338 on: March 5, 2021, 10:39:57 am »
What's Acton like Nick?

Far too many Kites.

:)

I sell kitchens but I can’t actually cook. :D

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2339 on: March 5, 2021, 11:47:55 am »
oh - i'm in liverpool

Wales is snided with them now and they're competing ferociously with the buzzards for prey and territory.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2340 on: March 5, 2021, 03:39:04 pm »
Wales is snided with them now and they're competing ferociously with the buzzards for prey and territory.

A snide of kites !

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #2341 on: March 5, 2021, 04:12:58 pm »
A snide of kites !

Gigrin Farm, Rhayader in mid Wales. They feed them daily. There’s hundreds of them, plus buzzards. Impressive sight.......although closed due to COVID of course!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2342 on: March 5, 2021, 04:34:48 pm »
Gigrin Farm, Rhayader in mid Wales. They feed them daily. There’s hundreds of them, plus buzzards. Impressive sight.......although closed due to COVID of course!

Found this on Youtube  :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bSWhsKy_kog" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bSWhsKy_kog</a>

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #2343 on: March 5, 2021, 04:47:06 pm »
 :Yeah...........I recognised a couple of them ;D

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2344 on: March 5, 2021, 08:31:32 pm »
cheers for the heads up about kites guys  :wave

yeh i'd heard of a few of the places as they were mentioned on the springwatch programmes but i'll make a note of that ta very much

i know there's also places to see ospreys - which i have never seen either

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2345 on: March 6, 2021, 12:14:36 am »
we've had a few bird strikes at the back doors (french windows) and one day there was a louder than usual thud when i saw this guy staggering around on the floor like someone coming out of the local pub at closing time

i just did a soft whistling noise so he didn't panic and grabbed my camera

after about a minute he cleared his head and flew into the acers at the back and hid away but his mum came back with a few reassuring chirps and a nice big worm to entice him back out into the real world, which he eventually did - this time without thumping into the windows

Lovely photos there. I'm glad the little guy was ok. I love Blackies.

In fact, I went shopping at Aintree Asda earlier today and parked next to a hedge. There was a Blacky digging around in the leaf litter on the ground. I enjoyed watching him for a while. I wish there were more of them about like there used to be when I was younger.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2346 on: March 6, 2021, 11:39:22 am »
Lovely photos there. I'm glad the little guy was ok. I love Blackies.

In fact, I went shopping at Aintree Asda earlier today and parked next to a hedge. There was a Blacky digging around in the leaf litter on the ground. I enjoyed watching him for a while. I wish there were more of them about like there used to be when I was younger.

the song of the blackbird so gentle and tuneful - no wonder our paul wrote that cracking track back in the day

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2347 on: March 7, 2021, 12:08:45 am »

That particularly healthy Acer palmatum captured me more than the bird to be honest liver mate. Magnificent.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2348 on: March 7, 2021, 10:15:13 am »

That particularly healthy Acer palmatum captured me more than the bird to be honest liver mate. Magnificent.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2349 on: March 7, 2021, 12:39:50 pm »

ha ha - yes that's my girl's domain the garden

she says they don't like bitter winds or cold chills in general so she planted them in a sunny but shaded part of the garden  :)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2350 on: March 7, 2021, 01:27:50 pm »

This was a scrawny little stick down the side of the house when I moved in with the wife in 2007. I moved it to the bottom of the garden to see if it would take.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2351 on: March 7, 2021, 03:02:21 pm »
This was a scrawny little stick down the side of the house when I moved in with the wife in 2007. I moved it to the bottom of the garden to see if it would take.

nice  :)

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2352 on: March 8, 2021, 07:12:51 am »

Nice, but you lose a point for the artificial turf.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2353 on: March 8, 2021, 07:31:58 am »
Nice, but you lose a point for the artificial turf.

We used to have a really good lawn, but the artificial grass was laid out of necessity. Before he fell out of love with the game, my youngest wanted to spent every hour he could out there with his ball and the goal we bought him, he'd be out there in the snow, rain everything if he could just practicing, the grass got destroyed and so did the living room carpet, so we had that laid so he could play out all the time.

You can see where the goal was by where the green is darker.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2354 on: March 8, 2021, 10:14:41 am »
Thought I'd trawl through some photos from past holidays (remember them!?) and post some pics of birds I've snapped. Hopefully you all enjoy seeing something a bit different to what we see in our gardens!

Grey Crowned Crane:

Marabou Stork:

Ostrich:

Oxpecker:

Pelicans:

Bird of prey. Any ideas? South Africa:

Toucan/Hornbill:

Not sure on this fella either. Also South Africa:

Southern Ground Hornbill:

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2355 on: March 8, 2021, 10:29:15 am »
Great photos! That Marabou stork looks a nasty bastard! How close to the ostriches did you get?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2356 on: March 8, 2021, 10:52:30 am »
Great photos! That Marabou stork looks a nasty bastard! How close to the ostriches did you get?

Pretty close actually. I've come across them in Tanzania and South Africa. In Tanzania we were in the jeep and they were mating. Hopefully this link works (apologies for the shaky camera work, we were bouncing along the bumpy road).

https://youtu.be/_bJqYB2MmVk

In South Africa we got out and walked after one to get some shots. It was on the drive to Cape of Good Hope. I was with a mate who was living there at the time and he insisted it was safe but when it turned around and started to walk towards us I absolutely shat myself.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2357 on: March 8, 2021, 06:00:16 pm »
Great pic of the Acer bush Rob, love it.

Also yours are great as well adam :)

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2358 on: March 17, 2021, 09:19:32 pm »

Red Kites were released on the Harewood estate (about 20 miles from where I now live) in 1999 and they have successfully bred so that we now see them regularly over our house. They are beautiful and tend to fly low over the house so you can get a really good look at their bright colours, sadly they are not fussy about what they eat so regularly swoop down to eat roadkill and are hit by motorists.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2359 on: March 17, 2021, 09:21:47 pm »

We had a Japanese maple, seemed to be growing nicely then moved it and it died. You've inspired me to get another and try and look after it better this time.

Oh, and we have artificial grass in our back garden too 😁👍
I am a man of few words.....any questions?