Author Topic: Keep it Cheap Football Draft  (Read 6913 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Keep it Cheap Football Draft
« Reply #40 on: May 9, 2021, 04:11:26 pm »
Is Lewandowski eligible, he moved on a free to Bayern, didn't he?

Yeah but Dortmud bought him for below £10m so is eligible.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #41 on: May 9, 2021, 04:13:04 pm »
Yeah but Dortmud bought him for below £10m so is eligible.

Ah ok, so they can have moved for a free, just so long as they have a sub-£10m transfer too?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #42 on: May 9, 2021, 04:42:09 pm »
Ah ok, so they can have moved for a free, just so long as they have a sub-£10m transfer too?
That was my understanding. Otherwise it’s going to make an awful lot of early 00s footballers who made late career moves in the past decade ineligible.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 9, 2021, 04:47:34 pm »
Yeah that's my understanding as well.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #44 on: May 9, 2021, 06:04:05 pm »
Oh, I'm in  :D  (happy to collab with Trend if he wants to though)

We're judging players all time, right?
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 9, 2021, 06:11:29 pm »
I assume its ok for any sub 10m transfers to have taken place Pre-2000 as long as the player then went on to male 100 appearances AFTER 2000?

Ie: transferred for £7m in 1998 then went on to make 101 appearances between 2000-2004?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 9, 2021, 06:22:14 pm »
I assume its ok for any sub 10m transfers to have taken place Pre-2000 as long as the player then went on to male 100 appearances AFTER 2000?

Ie: transferred for £7m in 1998 then went on to make 101 appearances between 2000-2004?
That’s correct, as far as my reading of the rules goes.

Betty - yeah all time performance across their career to date.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47 on: May 9, 2021, 06:29:12 pm »
Betty - yeah all time performance across their career to date.

Alrighty, done. One of a handful of mancs I will begrudgingly pick in these things.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 9, 2021, 06:29:37 pm »
Good to see Pete back in a footie draft.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 9, 2021, 06:29:42 pm »
Well I had Roy Keane and one other as my first pick. So Betty has made my mind up

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #50 on: May 9, 2021, 06:32:28 pm »
Well I had Roy Keane and one other as my first pick. So Betty has made my mind up

Happy to help. Probably picking the player I agonised over not picking myself. I think I'd much rather be low down in the order in this one.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51 on: May 9, 2021, 06:36:23 pm »
Can’t believe I wasn’t allowed to play.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 9, 2021, 06:38:06 pm »

How about me and you open up our own draft league Nicholas?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #53 on: May 9, 2021, 07:04:15 pm »
How about me and you open up our own draft league Nicholas?

Great suggestion Florentino.

How about an owners draft?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 9, 2021, 07:05:53 pm »
I like the way you think Sylvio.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #55 on: May 9, 2021, 07:52:01 pm »
Dumb question but presumably the £10m transfer needs to have take place 2000. So the transfer in 90's needs to be a maximum of £5m but the player must have made at least 100 appearances in the 2000's?

Nope, ignore the 5mill 90s - All transfers have to be below 10mill, if they happened in 90s or 00s

Is Lewandowski eligible, he moved on a free to Bayern, didn't he?

As long as he has moved clubs for money at some point as well its fine. Steven Gerrard would not be a valid pick as he only ever moved on a free
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #56 on: May 9, 2021, 07:53:33 pm »
Oh, I'm in  :D  (happy to collab with Trend if he wants to though)

We're judging players all time, right?

Judging all time is fair

I couldn’t tell if you had committed, so didn’t add you. You can go bottom of the pile as a late add in if you like
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 9, 2021, 08:41:42 pm »
Nope, ignore the 5mill 90s - All transfers have to be below 10mill, if they happened in 90s or 00s

As long as he has moved clubs for money at some point as well its fine. Steven Gerrard would not be a valid pick as he only ever moved on a free

Got ya :thumbup

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2021, 08:52:58 am »
Hopefully really get moving on this today.

There's an agonising amount of seriously World Class players whose only move involving a fee was slightly over £10m.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2021, 09:37:51 am »
I got so excited about Raúl when l saw his move from Real Madrid to Schalke was €9m.

Then I realised he went on a free and €9m was his market value. :(

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2021, 10:56:21 am »
I got so excited about Raúl when l saw his move from Real Madrid to Schalke was €9m.

Then I realised he went on a free and €9m was his market value. :(
Yeah that's caught me out a few times on Transfermarkt. Although, it's worth noting that where the players have moved between Euro-currency clubs, it's often using euros as opposed to pounds. There's a few then that can just about justifiably be noted as sub-£10m.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2021, 11:14:51 am »
That's a good point about EUR<>GBP

What conversion rate are we using?

Currently a €11m transfer equates to £9.5m

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2021, 11:17:55 am »
I think to make it easy we need to use the same source (transfermarkt.co.uk) so there's no ambiguity
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2021, 11:39:49 am »
I think to make it easy we need to use the same source (transfermarkt.co.uk) so there's no ambiguity

Yes and maybe for the sake of ease we can possibly say €1 = £1?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2021, 11:54:55 am »
Yes and maybe for the sake of ease we can possibly say €1 = £1?
Yeah I think that makes it fairest, otherwise we'll have people (me) looking up the 2001 Euro to pound exchange rate  ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2021, 01:06:55 pm »
Yeah I think that makes it fairest, otherwise we'll have people (me) looking up the 2001 Euro to pound exchange rate  ;D

It's not nearly as complicated as that. All you've got to do is either straight up use transfermarkt.co.uk as Lobo suggested or if you're on one of the EU versions you can go up to the left corner and click a drop down menu to switch to the .co.uk one. No need for any sums, it switches the currency for you.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2021, 01:42:01 pm »
Yeah go with what TransferMarkt says.

It's also important to watch the difference between the Market Value and Fee columns on there as someone pointed out.

As I said, if there is any question or worry I will try research and give a final decision.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2021, 02:12:39 pm »
There were a couple of players I was looking at and Transfermrkt was showing me prices in dollars. Based on current exchange rates these players would have qualified. Then figured out how to change the currency on the website and suddenly they don't because the pound was worth nothing in the 90s. Adios Baggio and Romario. I blame George Soros.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2021, 02:15:16 pm »
There were a couple of players I was looking at and Transfermrkt was showing me prices in dollars. Based on current exchange rates these players would have qualified. Then figured out how to change the currency on the website and suddenly they don't because the pound was worth nothing in the 90s. Adios Baggio and Romario. I blame George Soros.

Transfermarkt is showing Desailly having gone over £10m with his two moves for money.

98/99   Jul 14, 1998   Milan AC   Italy   Milan   Chelsea FC   England   Chelsea   -   £6.08m   
93/94   Nov 10, 1993   Olympique Marseille   France   Marseille   Milan AC   Italy   Milan   -   £4.95m   

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2021, 02:17:50 pm »
Transfermarkt is showing Desailly having gone over £10m with his two moves for money.

98/99   Jul 14, 1998   Milan AC   Italy   Milan   Chelsea FC   England   Chelsea   -   £6.08m   
93/94   Nov 10, 1993   Olympique Marseille   France   Marseille   Milan AC   Italy   Milan   -   £4.95m

I thought the rule was no single transfer over 10 million?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2021, 02:18:30 pm »
I thought the rule was no single transfer over 10 million?
Yeah that's right I think.

Doesn't seem fair for it to be accumulated transfer fees.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2021, 02:23:24 pm »
it;s not accumulation of total fees, it's the total per transfer. It's under the max, so it's fine.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2021, 02:23:35 pm »
Yeah that's right I think.

Doesn't seem fair for it to be accumulated transfer fees.

Ooooh ok.  Sorry, got the wrong end of the stick and thought it was total fees.  Carry on.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2021, 03:21:36 pm »
This is so tough, and from what I can tell, strikers are in short supply.  Figured everyone else would have Vardy on their radar, so might as well snap him up now while I try and work out what the hell I'm doing with the rest of the team.

Compliments Del Piero nicely too.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2021, 03:28:22 pm »
This is so tough, and from what I can tell, strikers are in short supply.  Figured everyone else would have Vardy on their radar, so might as well snap him up now while I try and work out what the hell I'm doing with the rest of the team.

Compliments Del Piero nicely too.

It's a great partnership. Yeah strikers might be the hardest to find since they typically command the highest fees.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2021, 03:38:28 pm »
Damn you Defacto. I was hoping he would sneak by and I could pick him in later rounds.

Very rarely picked in drafts but he was a fantastic player.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2021, 03:39:27 pm »
Bloody Hell Ballack!  I didn't even bother looking on Transfermkt as I was sure Chelsea paid a premium for him.

Give me 20  mins and I will post my next selection.

Bergkamp £10.13m :no
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 03:48:46 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2021, 03:40:46 pm »
Good player that Vardy is.....surprised he's been picked this early over some of the other strikers still out there!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2021, 03:41:16 pm »
Good player that Vardy is.....surprised he's been picked this early over some of the other strikers still out there!

Literally couldn't think of anyone else at all.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2021, 03:41:37 pm »
Bloody Hell Ballack!  I didn't even bother looking on Transfermkt as I was sure Chelsea paid a premium for him.

Give me 20  mins and I will post my next selection.
Was going to be my next pick, he'd jumped to mind immediately. Annoyed I didn't even think of Desailly, he was a big one I'd not got on my list.

Attackers in general are a scarcity from what I can find, whereas there's a lot of available quality in deep-midfield and defensive positions.