Author Topic: Glenn Hysen  (Read 1876 times)

Offline norecat

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Glenn Hysen
« on: January 14, 2021, 05:14:10 pm »
On this date in 1992 Glenn Hysen left Liverpool on a free transfer under the managership of Graeme Souness. Glenn was now 32 and at this stage a former Swedish international having last played in 1990. He was brought in by Kenny Dalglish in the summer of 1989 for 650k. We beat the other reds to his signature. A classy defender who was 30 when he signed. He didn't turn out to the answer to our defensive woes but still gave the club good service considering his transfer fee. He was my favourite player when he was with us.

Online eddiedingle

• Kopite
Re: Glenn Hysen
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 08:31:05 pm »
He was decent but its a shame we missed out on Gary Pallister given he wanted to join us the year before.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 12:15:13 am »
He was so bad for us. Go back and watch the games from that era he was bullied regularly. He had a big reputation coming from Italy but he looked like tarzan and played like jane. He was the swedish Nicky Tanner. The defense was in serious decline from 89 onwards once Jocky's knees give out and also Gary Gillespie was forever injured.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 12:25:16 pm »
He was so bad for us. Go back and watch the games from that era he was bullied regularly.

Yer wha? He helped us win the league under Kenny, key part of that side and then went backwards under Souness when Kenny left.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 12:26:41 pm »
Saw this thread at the top, thought he must have died.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 12:55:08 pm »
He was so bad for us. Go back and watch the games from that era he was bullied regularly. He had a big reputation coming from Italy but he looked like tarzan and played like jane. He was the swedish Nicky Tanner. The defense was in serious decline from 89 onwards once Jocky's knees give out and also Gary Gillespie was forever injured.
Really?

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 07:56:04 pm »
Yer wha? He helped us win the league under Kenny, key part of that side and then went backwards under Souness when Kenny left.

I'm not sure what player Slotmachine was watching but anyone comparing Glenn to Nicky Tanner is not to be taken seriously. I thought Glenn was a solid defender for us. It's fair to say he was finished by the time Souness took over.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:03:55 pm by norecat »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 01:00:12 am »
That's not how I remember him at all. I quite liked him.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 01:10:54 am »
I will never forget how pissed off Alex Ferguson was that we beat them to Glenn. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 11:13:57 pm »
Bloody hell lads maybe the swedish Nicky Tanner  ;D ;D was a bit over the top but i was a regular match go-er at the time and he was bang average at best in my memory of watching him play. It was only when over the last 12 months with the lockdowns i had a chance to go back and watch the games and highlights from that era and he was a lot worse than i thought.

To be fair our defence was a mess and in that 1988-1991 era we were often bullied and were vulnerable defending set pieces. Even Jocky Hansen coming to the end was vulnerable against physical forwards and Kenny knew this all too well. Steve Nicol was FOTY in 1988 at CB when Jocky was out for about 9 months with an injury in pre-season and i remember Kenny playing 3 at the back a lot more during this period because he wasnt confident in playing 2 CBs. Who can forget some of them games against Arsenal with Kenny playing 5 full backs in his team? Nicol, Venison, Ablett, Staunton and Burrows along with Molby and Glenn Hysen in the back 3. We didnt buy well enough at the back at this time when we had to replace Jocky, Lawrenson and Gillespie we had to play squares in round holes.

The rot had already set in long before Souness took over with a failure to recruit at the back along with Jimmy Carter and David Speedie type signings. The club post Hillsborough was obviously in a state of shock and Kenny probably having some kind of breakdown and probably suffering from PTSD it was unbelievable looking back and speaks to Kenny's greatness that we managed to win the title the year after but Liverpool off the pitch had fallen behind and failed to plan for the seasons ahead.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 10:34:22 pm »
As a kid it always confused me how his name was spelt Hysen but pronounced Hussain!

Scandies, eh?  ;D

Offline Red Sky at Night

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 01:04:49 pm »
The silver fox looked like he could have played James Bond as well as play for Liverpool.

I was always a fan of Hysen - not our greatest ever defender, but great memories of watching him from the Kop in the early 90s
‘It’s one of the finest exhibitions of football I’ve ever seen in my life… I’ve seen Brazilians play but I’ve never seen the game played at that pace or executed like that.’ - Sir Tom Finney after Liverpool thrashed Nottingham Forest 5-0 in 1988

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 08:22:14 pm »
He came from Serie-A where he'd been excellent. But no one stopped to think that Serie A defenders had about two minutes-worth of actual defending to do over the 90. In England he suddenly had to deal with Wallace and Le Tissier buzzing around him or Kerry Dixon competing for ale-house balls and leading with his elbows. It was all too much.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Red Sky at Night

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 12:45:24 pm »
He came from Serie-A where he'd been excellent. But no one stopped to think that Serie A defenders had about two minutes-worth of actual defending to do over the 90. In England he suddenly had to deal with Wallace and Le Tissier buzzing around him or Kerry Dixon competing for ale-house balls and leading with his elbows. It was all too much.

Yep - The English game was chalk and cheese compared to Italy at the time. I imagine it was an eye opener for him with the sheer speed of the game in England.

That said, he scored in our great 9-0 win against Palace and in our first league cup game (both Sept 89 just after he arrived)....

A great character for that team.
‘It’s one of the finest exhibitions of football I’ve ever seen in my life… I’ve seen Brazilians play but I’ve never seen the game played at that pace or executed like that.’ - Sir Tom Finney after Liverpool thrashed Nottingham Forest 5-0 in 1988