Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 983478 times)

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Re: The PL run-in
« Reply #4600 on: May 4, 2021, 01:57:40 am »
6th place it is.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #4601 on: May 4, 2021, 03:03:40 am »
I still think Leicester are going to fuck it up again. They've a tricky run -in.

However, I don't think we will be good enough to be the beneficiaries.

Leicester might still scrape 4th... or it could be Gollums
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4602 on: May 4, 2021, 08:13:52 am »
I think we finish 6th. Not good enough to finish in the top 4 but not bad enough to finish in the European Conference League or outside of Europe altogether.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4603 on: May 4, 2021, 08:20:21 am »
Mirror Football
@MirrorFootball
Liverpool make decision on postponed Man Utd game with FA permitted to award Reds the win

According to the rules, the governing body CAN declare the fixture will not be replayed at a later date, and instead award the three points to the Reds, if they decide it was “abandoned due to the conduct of one Club or its supporters”.

But the Anfield club have no interest in pursuing such an outcome, and instead will work with Manchester United to find a date for the fixture to be completed.

Liverpool had the option of an easy three points and chose not to pursue it. The story of our season.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4604 on: May 4, 2021, 08:55:36 am »
Mirror Football
@MirrorFootball
Liverpool make decision on postponed Man Utd game with FA permitted to award Reds the win

Liverpool had the option of an easy three points and chose not to pursue it. The story of our season.

Lets be honest, it was not our decision to make. Sky are making these decisions, and they would never give up the money ...

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4605 on: May 4, 2021, 09:29:24 am »
I think we had a good chance of winning the last 4 with the more relaxed schedule and no other distractions (our performances either side of CL games have been poor, particularly in the knockouts) and had the advantage at Old Trafford after 8 days without a game while they were in the middle of a semi final tie. 4th was still an outside chance given Leicester/Chelsea's last 4 games.

Now we're stuck with 5 games in 15 days. We'll do well to win 3 of them.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4606 on: May 4, 2021, 09:32:08 am »
I think we had a good chance of winning the last 4 with the more relaxed schedule and no other distractions (our performances either side of CL games have been poor, particularly in the knockouts) and had the advantage at Old Trafford after 8 days without a game. 4th was still an outside chance given Leicester/Chelsea's last 4 games.

Now we're stuck with 5 games in 15 days. We'll do well to win 3 of them.

I think there was not a great chance of winning 4 games out of 5. Our form hasnt been good enough all season and have we put a run like that together all season.

Lets have it right, we fucked this season up much earlier than now.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4607 on: May 4, 2021, 09:35:46 am »
Yeah this isn't a need for competition and seeing football being played

This is about SKY fulfilling their advertising slots and making us fulfil the game.

As for the run in. We *should* be winning all our remaining games.

The extra break for the Southampton game should help us but we usually dont do well with that.

7th should be avoided at all costs. 6th wouldn't be the end of the world European football wise.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4608 on: May 4, 2021, 09:38:36 am »
I think there was not a great chance of winning 4 games out of 5. Our form hasnt been good enough all season and have we put a run like that together all season.

Lets have it right, we fucked this season up much earlier than now.

We fucked it against Leeds and Newcastle, but had we held on we'd be more annoyed now that we're disadvantaged for the last 5 games with this schedule.

The first time all season we had a decent run of fixtures with a break between games and instead now it's another 5 in 15 and go into Saturday's game undercooked.

4th was unlikely anyway but it could cost us 5th or 6th now and get us stuck in the Conference League.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4609 on: May 4, 2021, 09:41:40 am »
Yeah this isn't a need for competition and seeing football being played

This is about SKY fulfilling their advertising slots and making us fulfil the game.

As for the run in. We *should* be winning all our remaining games.

The extra break for the Southampton game should help us but we usually dont do well with that.

7th should be avoided at all costs. 6th wouldn't be the end of the world European football wise.

While we get to sit back and watch Sky pundits slaughter our club throughout the broadcast on Sunday while defending the fans who got the game abandoned.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4610 on: May 4, 2021, 09:46:47 am »
We fucked it against Leeds and Newcastle, but had we held on we'd be more annoyed now that we're disadvantaged for the last 5 games with this schedule.

The first time all season we had a decent run of fixtures with a break between games and instead now it's another 5 in 15 and go into Saturday's game undercooked.

4th was unlikely anyway but it could cost us 5th or 6th now and get us stuck in the Conference League.

Im sorry but I dont have any real sympathy for us. This season has been a shit one with us taking a bad hand or two handed to us and then deciding to add more shite to that pile.

As Klopp said, we will get what we deserve and moaning about a rearranged fixture wont define this season.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4611 on: May 4, 2021, 09:54:39 am »
Im sorry but I dont have any real sympathy for us. This season has been a shit one with us taking a bad hand or two handed to us and then deciding to add more shite to that pile.

As Klopp said, we will get what we deserve and moaning about a rearranged fixture wont define this season.

Didn't Klopp wage war on BT because we played Brighton early on Saturday after a CL game on Wednesday? He won't be happy with this either that's for sure.

We don't deserve CL football next season, but we've had more than a shit hand dealt to us this season as a team. VAR, refs, the boost of fans back for a few games and then back to empty Anfield, CB injuries have been unprecedented and killed the midfield as well. The distraction of the SL thanks to the stupidity of our owners. The circus we had to face at Leeds, what we had to deal with on Sunday and now the disruption for this week and fixture congestion for the last few games.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4612 on: May 4, 2021, 09:57:42 am »
Mirror Football
@MirrorFootball

We should refuse to play it and play hardball. It isn't our fault the game was abandoned. Why should we put the health of our players at risk?

If Sky or the PL have an issue it is clear who the faulty party is. Sky can sue United for the money they lost.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4613 on: May 4, 2021, 10:50:41 am »
Didn't Klopp wage war on BT because we played Brighton early on Saturday after a CL game on Wednesday? He won't be happy with this either that's for sure.

We don't deserve CL football next season, but we've had more than a shit hand dealt to us this season as a team. VAR, refs, the boost of fans back for a few games and then back to empty Anfield, CB injuries have been unprecedented and killed the midfield as well. The distraction of the SL thanks to the stupidity of our owners. The circus we had to face at Leeds, what we had to deal with on Sunday and now the disruption for this week and fixture congestion for the last few games.

Yes we have. But we brought some of them on ourselves.

I know you love to create a conspiracy of how the league has been built to ensure Everton win it, but of all the shit we have to deal with this supposed fixture congestion ranks very low on it.

Offline MacKon

• Main Stander
  • FOOTBALL WITHOUT ORIGI IS NOTHING
« Reply #4614 on: May 4, 2021, 11:23:12 am »
The rearranged fixture will be a cool excuse for finishing outside the top 4, but the truth is that we fucked it up by dropping way too many points from winning position. Not converting chances to make it 2-0 and then conceding a late equaliser - we know it too well, unfortunately, it happens time after time and we haven't learned anything.
Good thing about pizza is that even when it's bad, it's still reasonably good.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #4615 on: May 4, 2021, 11:40:45 am »
If you gotta fail, you might as well fail in style!

If we don't get top 4 (which is likely) then I'd like us to get into the Conference and be the first team to win it  8)

Might be a blessing in disguise. We could blood some of the kids and fringe players in that comp until we reach the final.

Then the first team will be fresher to make a real PL title challenge.
One season out of the CL won't kill us. But we do need to maintain our PL challenge every season. This season was a blip.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #4616 on: May 4, 2021, 12:08:46 pm »
The rearranged fixture will be a cool excuse for finishing outside the top 4, but the truth is that we fucked it up by dropping way too many points from winning position. Not converting chances to make it 2-0 and then conceding a late equaliser - we know it too well, unfortunately, it happens time after time and we haven't learned anything.

I think you'll find it was the 6 home defeats on the spin that fucked us.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4617 on: May 4, 2021, 12:11:40 pm »
Yes we have. But we brought some of them on ourselves.

I know you love to create a conspiracy of how the league has been built to ensure Everton win it, but of all the shit we have to deal with this supposed fixture congestion ranks very low on it.

It's just another shit hand we've been dealt.

United were fucking garbage last season but still stole away with a CL place due to Leicester's collapse and they didn't have the injuries we had or the VAR robberies (on the contrary).

Offline MacKon

• Main Stander
  • FOOTBALL WITHOUT ORIGI IS NOTHING
« Reply #4618 on: May 4, 2021, 12:13:52 pm »

I think you'll find it was the 6 home defeats on the spin that fucked us.

pretty much every home game from Christmas to mid March was extremely difficult to watch. Something weird happened to the team and it's something I just can't explain in any way.
Good thing about pizza is that even when it's bad, it's still reasonably good.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4619 on: May 4, 2021, 12:53:13 pm »
I still think Leicester are going to fuck it up again. They've a tricky run -in.

I agree with this totally.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4620 on: May 4, 2021, 01:06:56 pm »
We've been shit for so long now and the last thing any of us needs is another controversy in this shit-heap of a bilbo baggins of a dumpster fire of a season, who can honestly be arsed?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #4621 on: May 4, 2021, 03:20:14 pm »
Lets be honest, it was not our decision to make. Sky are making these decisions, and they would never give up the money ...

I agree, the game probably would’ve been moved to Monday if Sky hadn’t already had 2 fixtures to fulfil

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #4622 on: May 4, 2021, 11:52:14 pm »
We should refuse to play it and play hardball. It isn't our fault the game was abandoned. Why should we put the health of our players at risk?

If Sky or the PL have an issue it is clear who the faulty party is. Sky can sue United for the money they lost.

If its not switched with the WBA game and that game played on the 12th then we take the 3pts and that is a compromise because we should have the pts given where we are and what is at stake (but it won't happen to an internationally watched game like this). 

That needs to be sorted though because it's only a week away and WBA will have expressed a view
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4623 on: May 5, 2021, 12:34:57 am »
Mirror Football
@MirrorFootball

.  Take the points wasn't our fault they went over the top .. vandalism and attacking police officers..

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4624 on: May 5, 2021, 01:34:59 am »
Just looking at some of the prize money on offer for the Europa League, a quick Google search showed the following;

For the 2020–21 season, the Europa League prize money for group stages awarded a base fee of €2.920,000. A victory in the group pays €570,000 and a draw €190,000. Also, each group winner earns €1,000,000 and each runner-up €500,000. Reaching the knock-out stage triggers additional bonuses: €500,000 for the round of 32, €1,100,000 for the round of 16, €1,500,000 for the quarter-finals and €2,400,000 for the semi-finals. The losing finalists receive €4,500,000 and the champions receive €8,500,000.

The winner of the tournament could walk away with upto €13- 15 million as prize money.

Pales in comparison to the Champions League but it’s better than nothing. That’s not factoring in the money we’ll make from broadcasting and also from ticket sales. We would be able to give first team exposure to a number of youngsters and give days off to the first teamers when we face the dross. Not ideal to miss out on the Champions League but if we do I’ve convinced myself it’s not all bad, I’d say I’m at the acceptance stage of grief, so not bad going for myself.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #4625 on: May 5, 2021, 01:52:19 am »
They should give us the 3 points but id still rather beat them on grass.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4626 on: May 5, 2021, 02:04:29 am »
Just looking at some of the prize money on offer for the Europa League, a quick Google search showed the following;

For the 2020–21 season, the Europa League prize money for group stages awarded a base fee of €2.920,000. A victory in the group pays €570,000 and a draw €190,000. Also, each group winner earns €1,000,000 and each runner-up €500,000. Reaching the knock-out stage triggers additional bonuses: €500,000 for the round of 32, €1,100,000 for the round of 16, €1,500,000 for the quarter-finals and €2,400,000 for the semi-finals. The losing finalists receive €4,500,000 and the champions receive €8,500,000.

The winner of the tournament could walk away with upto €13- 15 million as prize money.

Pales in comparison to the Champions League but it’s better than nothing. That’s not factoring in the money we’ll make from broadcasting and also from ticket sales. We would be able to give first team exposure to a number of youngsters and give days off to the first teamers when we face the dross. Not ideal to miss out on the Champions League but if we do I’ve convinced myself it’s not all bad, I’d say I’m at the acceptance stage of grief, so not bad going for myself.
Is EL better than nothing though? If you win it, then yes, I agree. It's a major trophy, not life the League Cup and probably higher-ranked than the FA Cup. But the odds of playing in the EL and not winning it are far greater and that comes at the expense of players injuries, fatigue, and distracted Thursday/Sunday game schedules for the whole team. It sucks. So, even if you rake some €10m as a losing finalist, which doesn't buy you even Grujic-level player, a title push can easily be derailed. I'd rather we play the kids in the EL to avoid what happened to Jota this season, and to have out clear focus on the title. It's not guaranteed that we will win it, but the EL will definitely take that chance away, especially considering how thin the squad will be come the fall. 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4627 on: May 5, 2021, 10:23:18 am »
Is EL better than nothing though? If you win it, then yes, I agree. It's a major trophy, not life the League Cup and probably higher-ranked than the FA Cup. But the odds of playing in the EL and not winning it are far greater and that comes at the expense of players injuries, fatigue, and distracted Thursday/Sunday game schedules for the whole team. It sucks. So, even if you rake some €10m as a losing finalist, which doesn't buy you even Grujic-level player, a title push can easily be derailed. I'd rather we play the kids in the EL to avoid what happened to Jota this season, and to have out clear focus on the title. It's not guaranteed that we will win it, but the EL will definitely take that chance away, especially considering how thin the squad will be come the fall.

Yeah, it's the collateral issue with the EL from a season of Thursday/Sundays, without giving you sufficient revenues to carry the extra quality in depth.

When did a team who went the distance in the Europa League last go the distance in a title race?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4628 on: May 5, 2021, 10:34:58 am »

United got £25m for their semi final run in 19/20, think it has risen since so a winning finalist would prob be closer to £35m.

Add on the money for ticket sales and you’re looking at over £50m for winning it, likely closer to £60m.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #4629 on: May 5, 2021, 10:47:04 am »

That’s just the prize money. You earn more through various other factors - TV pool, co-efficient rating.

When we got beat in the final a few years back (2015/16) we earned the just under €40M (not including gate recipes). Total prize money was €411M that season. For comparison it’s over 500M this season.

A good Europa League campaign probably earns Liverpool about 40-50% of what they’d earn by going to QF in CL.

It’s a pain doing Thurs/Sun and it arguably hinders in the league. However, the money on offer isn’t a small amount any more.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4630 on: May 5, 2021, 10:50:03 am »
to be honest I don't thibk Klopp would want 3 easy points like that.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4631 on: May 5, 2021, 10:50:07 am »
The Hammers have quite an easy run in, if the plastics of London make a mince of it then they should steal the 4th spot. Guess our run in is also good but its really out of our hands at the moment. Cannot see Leicester falling out of the top 4 either.

Weirdly, glancing at the table, both us and utd are the only teams to have not lost 1 of the last 5 games.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4632 on: May 5, 2021, 11:02:07 am »
Yeah, it's the collateral issue with the EL from a season of Thursday/Sundays, without giving you sufficient revenues to carry the extra quality in depth.

When did a team who went the distance in the Europa League last go the distance in a title race?
Yeah, we could struggle to get top 4 next season if we're in the EL, never mind compete for the title. Then you're on the slippery slope and we're back to where we were in 2016 with time running out on Jurgen's contract.

I had hoped winning the CL and then the PL was going to push us up a level that we could sustain going forward, with FSG seeing real value in investing more in the team. Now they mightn't be so keen and could be wondering what's the point. It's hard not to feel like we've really screwed ourselves this season.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4633 on: May 5, 2021, 11:05:43 am »
Mirror Football
@MirrorFootball

For fuck's sake, tell me this isn't real. Take the bastard points.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4634 on: May 5, 2021, 11:05:45 am »

Leicester play Newcastle at home next. Win that and I think they’re pretty much home and hosed.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #4635 on: May 5, 2021, 11:14:12 am »
Yeah, we could struggle to get top 4 next season if we're in the EL, never mind compete for the title. Then you're on the slippery slope and we're back to where we were in 2016 with time running out on Jurgen's contract.

I had hoped winning the CL and then the PL was going to push us up a level that we could sustain going forward, with FSG seeing real value in investing more in the team. Now they mightn't be so keen and could be wondering what's the point. It's hard not to feel like we've really screwed ourselves this season.

While, admittedly, we've been bad, there's no doubt in my mind that it's been the Pandemic and everything that has come with it that screwed us.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #4636 on: May 5, 2021, 12:14:27 pm »
Updated:

3rdLeicester34+2263
4thChelsea34+2261
5thWest Ham33+1055
6thLiverpool33+1654
7thSpurs33+1853
8thEverton33+352

Weekend:
Southampton 1-1 Leicester
Chelsea 2-0 Fulham
Everton 1-2 Villa
United vs Liverpool
Spurs vs Sheffield United
Burnley vs West Ham

Updated (hadn't even looked at the Spurs and West Ham results until just now to be honest...):

3rdLeicester34+2263
4thChelsea34+2261
5thWest Ham34+1158
6thSpurs34+2256
7thLiverpool33+1654
8thEverton33+352

Weekend gone:
Southampton 1-1 Leicester
Chelsea 2-0 Fulham
Everton 1-2 Villa
United P-P Liverpool
Spurs 4-0 Sheffield United
Burnley 1-2 West Ham

Weekend:
Leicester vs Newcastle
Leeds vs Spurs
City vs Chelsea
Liverpool vs Southampton
West Ham vs Everton

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4637 on: May 5, 2021, 12:20:13 pm »

While, admittedly, we've been bad, there's no doubt in my mind that it's been the Pandemic and everything that has come with it that screwed us.

Hate to admit it but the pandemic and that prick pickford have really fucked our season more than anything. Yes we've thrown points away recently but the players look fucked.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4638 on: May 5, 2021, 12:28:22 pm »
Hate to admit it but the pandemic and that prick pickford have really fucked our season more than anything. Yes we've thrown points away recently but the players look fucked.

Yeah, the injuries are the main thing that's fucked the season. It's meant we've ended up with a much smaller squad of available players who have all had to play more minutes than they would otherwise.

Throw in some horror VAR decisions on top and it's been a bit of a shit show.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4639 on: May 5, 2021, 12:39:59 pm »
Imo had we had a fit Gomez and Matip, our season wouldn't have gone off the rails as it did. But losing all 3, was too much. Mane's form falling off a cliff didn't help things either with Jota being gone for 3 months as wlel