Author Topic: Anfield Road Extension - Construction work resumed on 12th September 2023.  (Read 878755 times)

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Re: Anfield Road Extension - Planning Permission Submitted
« Reply #800 on: April 21, 2021, 05:50:26 pm »
Will we see this glorious erection full of legacy fans rise now after all the shenanigans...?

Joking aside, if they went and built it and let it be solely general use for local kids at a tenner a pop as an apology, I'd go some way to possibly thinking about not detesting them.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:57:24 pm by meady1981 »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #801 on: April 21, 2021, 10:43:23 pm »
I demand a 70,000 capacity now, as way of apology.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #802 on: April 21, 2021, 10:57:09 pm »
I demand a 70,000 capacity now, as way of apology.  :)

With cheese?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #803 on: April 22, 2021, 12:06:37 am »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #804 on: May 11, 2021, 10:08:05 pm »
Any updates on the progress of the application?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #805 on: May 12, 2021, 10:43:05 pm »
No news surely means this is delayed for a second time?  Work would begin over the summer if it were to begun this season surely?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AnthonyStabile

• Frankie Carbone... Freddy No Nose... "Naby Keita is a shithouse, pass it on."
  • Main Stander
« Reply #806 on: May 13, 2021, 12:18:22 am »
From what I read the plan was to commence work before the end of this yr for it to be ready for start of 23/24 (22 mths I think they estimated) , planning permission was submitted in Dec but still no decision which seems a long time.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #807 on: May 26, 2021, 05:20:16 pm »
I am saying this from a position of ignorance and a genuine desire to be educated.

But what is the correct philosophy in this circumstance and how do you apply it architectually? Is the issue that there should not be a seperate wheelchair area, but that they should be able to use the whole front row in an unsegregated fashion?

I have not had much time to post recently, so apologies for the time taken to get back to you on this.
The "philosophy", so to speak, is whether wheelchair users are to be "included" so as to be allowed to participate in the full match day experience, or merely "accommodated" in that they have a space from which to view a game of football? The distinction appears subtle, but the implications are important.
As little as 30 years ago, the recently renamed "King Kenny Dalglish" stand was built with virtually zero thought for disabled people in general and wheelchair users in particular.
I'm not sure whether it had any wheelchair bays whatsoever.
Belatedly, the club brought the stand up to a reasonable standard by retrofitting wheelchair spaces. However, many of these wheelchair spaces are isolated and difficult to get to due to problems with lifts etc. Access to food and drinks immediately before the game and at half time, is not possible. It is also not possible to freely circulate with family or friends at these times, unlike able-bodied supporters who are free to do so. Wheelchair users have been "accommodated" but they haven't really been "included".

Some leeway, perhaps, has to be given to the club as they were trying to shoehorn disabled spaces into the pre-existing stand.

The new Main Stand on the other hand, has been virtually rebuilt from the first level up. As far as I am aware the sixth floor design allows wheelchair users to both watch the match and to freely circulate with other supporters, family and friends at all times. It is a great example of inclusive design.
On the fifth floor however, the architect has built disabled bays into the wings of the stand on the Kop end and Anfield road end.
These bays offer no direct access to food or drinks, and do not allow any mixing with family and friends. Being stuck on the middle floors, lift access is extremely poor and is the subject of constant complaints.
Those bays should never have been built in that fashion. They are by no means "inclusive".

The proposed plans for the Anfield Road stand contain a new section at the back of the stand exclusively for wheelchair users. It has its own entrance, a food kiosk and drinks kiosk. It also has its own lift. It is almost its own small, 26 seater private members club. So what's not to like? There are 26 extra wheelchair spaces. The facilities are good. The view is probably good. On the face of it, the offering is possibly better than anything the club has offered to wheelchair users in the past.

Except in one vital department...... inclusivity.

That's where the "philosophy" comes in. In a society that strives for Equality for all, would it be acceptable to corral any other social minority into such a segregated section? Absolutely not, so neither should it be acceptable to shoe-horn in wheelchair users into such a pen.

Yes, the proposed plans are an improvement on what's gone before, but they are not what wheelchair users should want or demand in terms of equality and inclusivity. In 20 years time people will look back on that section and wonder how on earth it was allowed to be built.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 12:39:46 am by HomesickRed »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: May 26, 2021, 05:22:07 pm »
That’s a really thought provoking  post
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #809 on: May 26, 2021, 05:23:43 pm »
Any updates on the progress of the application?
No news surely means this is delayed for a second time?  Work would begin over the summer if it were to begun this season surely?

I might be mistaken but have the plans disappeared from the Council planning portal? Possible revision? Fingers crossed....

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #810 on: May 26, 2021, 07:23:59 pm »
to be honest the Kenny Stand is shocking for able bodied people too. Have been a ST in there since the upper opened and honestly it really is poor.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #811 on: May 26, 2021, 09:47:05 pm »
Homesick, thanks for posting that. I’ve never fully thought about it from that perspective. Do you have any experience or knowledge of stadia/stands that strike that balance inclusivity-wise?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #812 on: May 26, 2021, 10:31:40 pm »
to be honest the Kenny Stand is shocking for able bodied people too. Have been a ST in there since the upper opened and honestly it really is poor.

Remember the first time I sat in the back row, I was knackered by the time I got to my seat. Mate had corporate seats in the upper, that at least had a lift to get to the lounge.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #813 on: May 27, 2021, 12:27:28 am »

True.
My bro in law has been cooped up in there for 30 years almost.
He now smells of sardines.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #814 on: May 27, 2021, 09:44:08 am »
stands and stadiums that opened in that era would be fairly dated at this point

those seats were uncomfortable
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: May 27, 2021, 10:07:08 am »
stands and stadiums that opened in that era would be fairly dated at this point

those seats were uncomfortable

Had use of a seasie in the lower, til we moved to the Kop in 06, so cramped in those seats.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #816 on: May 27, 2021, 10:33:24 am »
Had use of a seasie in the lower, til we moved to the Kop in 06, so cramped in those seats.

well i have only been in Anfield for a match about a dozen times but i would agree. knees pressed up against seat in front
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online calvin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #817 on: June 4, 2021, 08:47:29 am »
Looks like the decision on the Anfield Road will be made in a few days.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: June 4, 2021, 04:59:36 pm »
Good news that we should have some movement soon. If the approval is granted when do you think work will start, maybe end of the summer?

Online calvin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #819 on: June 4, 2021, 06:05:15 pm »
Good news that we should have some movement soon. If the approval is granted when do you think work will start, maybe end of the summer?

I think I remember reading that the build will be 23 months, so probably September at the latest, if all goes to plan. That would have it ready for the start of the 23/24 season.

Online keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #820 on: June 4, 2021, 06:17:00 pm »
Looks like the decision on the Anfield Road will be made in a few days.

The Officer’s Committee Report will be published on either Monday afternoon or early Tuesday so we’ll know the Case Officer’s recommendation through that.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #821 on: June 4, 2021, 06:21:52 pm »
I am saying this from a position of ignorance and a genuine desire to be educated.

But what is the correct philosophy in this circumstance and how do you apply it architectually? Is the issue that there should not be a seperate wheelchair area, but that they should be able to use the whole front row in an unsegregated fashion?

I have not had much time to post recently, so apologies for the time taken to get back to you on this.
The "philosophy", so to speak, is whether wheelchair users are to be "included" so as to be allowed to participate in the full match day experience, or merely "accommodated" in that they have a space from which to view a game of football? The distinction appears subtle, but the implications are important.

As little as 30 years ago, the recently renamed "King Kenny Dalglish" stand was built with virtually zero thought for disabled people in general and wheelchair users in particular.

I'm not sure whether it had any wheelchair bays whatsoever.

Belatedly, the club brought the stand up to a reasonable standard by retrofitting wheelchair spaces. However, many of these wheelchair spaces are isolated and difficult to get to due to problems with lifts etc. Access to food and drinks immediately before the game and at half time, is not possible. It is also not possible to freely circulate with family or friends at these times, unlike able-bodied supporters who are free to do so. Wheelchair users have been "accommodated" but they haven't really been "included".

Some leeway, perhaps, has to be given to the club as they were trying to shoehorn disabled spaces into the pre-existing stand.

The new Main Stand on the other hand, has been virtually rebuilt from the first level up. As far as I am aware the sixth floor design allows wheelchair users to both watch the match and to freely circulate with other supporters, family and friends at all times. It is a great example of inclusive design.

On the fifth floor however, the architect has built disabled bays into the wings of the stand on the Kop end and Anfield road end.
These bays offer no direct access to food or drinks, and do not allow any mixing with family and friends. Being stuck on the middle floors, lift access is extremely poor and is the subject of constant complaints.

Those bays should never have been built in that fashion. They are by no means "inclusive".

The proposed plans for the Anfield Road stand contain a new section at the back of the stand exclusively for wheelchair users. It has its own entrance, a food kiosk and drinks kiosk. It also has its own lift. It is almost its own small, 26 seater private members club. So what's not to like? There are 26 extra wheelchair spaces. The facilities are good. The view is probably good. On the face of it, the offering is possibly better than anything the club has offered to wheelchair users in the past.

Except in one vital department...... inclusivity.

That's where the "philosophy" comes in. In a society that strives for Equality for all, would it be acceptable to corral any other social minority into such a segregated section? Absolutely not, so neither should it be acceptable to shoe-horn in wheelchair users into such a pen.

Yes, the proposed plans are an improvement on what's gone before, but they are not what wheelchair users should want or demand in terms of equality and inclusivity. In 20 years time people will look back on that section and wonder how on earth it was allowed to be built.

To add to the above from an architect/designer point of view. The principle is to ensure that everyone has the same experience as far as possible. Generally, wheelchair users should not be forced to use separate entrances and should not be segregated.

That creates obvious problems in a football stadium where access to the seating is typically up stairs from the concourses to  the beautifully named 'vomitories' and then via stairways up and down to the seats.

Looking at the original planning application drawings the old lower concourse feeds the old lower stand but is extended under the new extension. Wheelchair users at the front of the lower tier share the GA concourse and have accessible WC facilities at that level.

The wheelchair spaces in the new part of the stand are at level 1 which is where the new hospitality suite is located. This suite replaces the existing off-site catering and hospitality for the seats at the bottom of the lower tier. Hospitality in the existing Upper Anny is in the same place more or less. Access to the wheelchair seats is at the same level, while access to the hospitality seating is via staircases up to the vomitories.

The new GA concourse serves the upper part of the new tier with staircases up to the centre of the upper seating. There's no level access from the concourse to the seating area.

The issue is that the GA wheelchair seats in the new extension have their own small dedicated concourse, separate from the main concourse. As pre-match and half-time is an integral part of the match it's not in accordance with guidance to allow everyone to have the same experience.

I agree it's not ideal but does seem to be a consequence of building on the existing lower stand (the Main Stand redevelopment had a new intermediate tier that allowed more flexibility in the design of the wheelchair seating). It would be difficult to accommodate 32 +32 wheelchair and companion spaces in the upper seating with level access from the level 2 concourse. One option would be to allow use of Lift 04 for any wheelchair user who wants to use the level 02 GA concourse.

Architects and designers take these issues seriously and I'm sure they will have taken on board any comments if possible.

« Last Edit: June 4, 2021, 06:26:21 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: June 5, 2021, 10:05:35 am »
Surely this issue would be classified as 'fan facing'?

Wouldn't this need to go to the Supporters Board after DSA/SOS consultation?

Maybe not as it's a strategic capital project, but I'd think FSG would now consult DSA via SOS if they're committed to making this work?
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #823 on: June 5, 2021, 10:16:47 am »
I mean there have been extensive consultations regarding this so would seem like something that would only slow (possibly) time sensitive project down.

Changing things now from the result of yet more consultations could possibly see further planning apps needed.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: June 5, 2021, 10:29:50 am »
I mean there have been extensive consultations regarding this so would seem like something that would only slow (possibly) time sensitive project down.

Changing things now from the result of yet more consultations could possibly see further planning apps needed.

Yeah, I think I agree. But Homesick makes some good points (although like Indominatble, I'm a bit ignorant - but they sound like very good points).

Al makes good points about the challenges - although I know next to fuck all about his area of expertise.

It makes me wonder if the 'consultations' were real consultations to the level required in the new articles of association - and I admit I'm no expert here either.

I've been impatient previously with 'just getting it built'. But some of the points made are making me think - if we're building it - lets make sure it's the very best possible stand for all match goers.

If that makes sense, I often don't.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline N11RED

• Anny Roader
« Reply #825 on: June 6, 2021, 09:29:22 pm »
The Officer’s Committee Report will be published on either Monday afternoon or early Tuesday so we’ll know the Case Officer’s recommendation through that.

Committee report published recommending approval subject to conditions

http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/DocumentExplorer/Application/folderview.aspx?type=MVMPRD_DC_PLANAPP&key=1200084

Online calvin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #826 on: June 7, 2021, 08:23:04 am »
Looks like approval has been given. One change was made to the application. 12 concerts a year was initially applied for. This changed to 6 concerts up to a maximum of 5 years. This seems to have been approved too.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: June 7, 2021, 09:51:56 am »
Ah will be ready for the last season of Kloppo too.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #828 on: June 7, 2021, 10:08:35 am »
Committee report published recommending approval subject to conditions

http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/DocumentExplorer/Application/folderview.aspx?type=MVMPRD_DC_PLANAPP&key=1200084

Thanlks for the link. This is the specific part in relation to inclusive design. It includes a request for the club to cvonsider the points raised above:

Inclusive Design Specialist

In relation to the public realm, is satisfied that the club has considered the needs of all potential users of the public and has created a design which aims to meet the specific needs of a variety of users groups as best as possible.

In relation to the internal design of the stand, a number of recommendations were made in interest of providing the best possible inclusive access for all. These included the following:

•   Provision of gender neutral toilets on each level of the stand, in line with best practice. Recommended to liaise with LGBTQ supporter groups and/or their local/regional/national representative organisations, as well as organisations representing other potential user groups including Dementia Action Alliance, Alzheimer’s Society, Carers groups. 

•   Provision of a Changing Places facility.

•   Provision of accessible baby changing provision on each level of the stand.

•   Provision of ‘family friendly’ toilets on each level of the stand which are suitable for families with children of a range of ages and different genders (particularly as the Anfield Road stand is the only stand that sells child tickets). 

•   Details for Fan Zone are needed, showing the location of toilets (including accessible toilets), food and drink outlets, and any other facilities within this space.

•   Food and drink outlets to have counter heights / sections of counter heights suitable for wheelchair users. All to be equipped with suitable hearing enhancement system e.g. induction loop.

•   Provision of accessible staff changing facility.

•   Provision of unisex access to accessible WCs (i.e. not through gendered toilet entrance doors).

•   Provision of a lift to access the ‘back of house’ areas on the mezzanine to enable disabled people to access this area of employment.

•   Provision of a sensory room within the stand.

•   Consider provision of a faith space.

•   Passenger lifts to designed to be evacuation lift standard, as recommended in the Accessible Stadia guidelines.

Considered that the wheelchair user area at mezzanine level (to serve the 32 wheelchair spaces and 32 companion seats on this level) does not promote inclusivity as it effectively segregates disabled people and other people.  It makes it difficult for disabled supporters to mix and share the matchday experience with their non-disabled friends and family.  It also unnecessarily separates families, which in a stand with a high number of family/child tickets, is not ideal.  It is also accepted that some disabled people may prefer the benefits that a segregated area offers (e.g. fewer people, less congested etc). The preference would be for disabled people and other people to be able to mix and socialise with each other and that disabled people are not restricted to one segregated areas. Requested that the club gives this matter further consideration and provides a more inclusive approach to wheelchair accessible seating.   

Satisfied with the level of overall provision and the proposed improvements to the wheelchair accessible seating i.e. increased % of elevated positions. SGSA’s Guidance, all stadia should provide an equitable number of amenity and easy access seats for spectators who may require more space. It is noted that the amenity/easy access seating provision in the stadium will be maintained but not increased.  It is recommended that some amenity/easy access seats are provided in the new Anfield Road Stand (SGSA guidance recommends 1 in every 100 seats).

In relation to the proposal to relocate the home supporters coach parking to the St. Domingo Car Park, requested an Accessibility Audit of the pedestrian route to the stadium to identify any physical barriers that may prevent disabled people and other people from accessing the stadium and whether any remedial works may be required.  Barriers may include lack of dropped kerbs, unsuitable dropped kerbs, uneven surfaces, permanent/temporary obstructions. 

Commended the Club’s willingness to engage with local disabled people and their representative organisations, which included meetings with RNIB and Bradbury Fields (who represent visually impaired people) and also with the Spinal Injuries Association who represent wheelchair users and people with mobility impairments. The issues raised Points by members of the Corporate Access Forum (meeting held 1st February 2021) were understood by the Club’s representatives and agreed to investigate design and management solutions.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #829 on: June 7, 2021, 11:51:59 am »
Happy days if that can be completed by the beginning of the 2023/24 season, especially with minimal reduction to attendance. Looking forward to seeing that completed.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #830 on: June 7, 2021, 12:48:21 pm »
To add to the above from an architect/designer point of view. The principle is to ensure that everyone has the same experience as far as possible. Generally, wheelchair users should not be forced to use separate entrances and should not be segregated.

That creates obvious problems in a football stadium where access to the seating is typically up stairs from the concourses to  the beautifully named 'vomitories' and then via stairways up and down to the seats.

Looking at the original planning application drawings the old lower concourse feeds the old lower stand but is extended under the new extension. Wheelchair users at the front of the lower tier share the GA concourse and have accessible WC facilities at that level.

The wheelchair spaces in the new part of the stand are at level 1 which is where the new hospitality suite is located. This suite replaces the existing off-site catering and hospitality for the seats at the bottom of the lower tier. Hospitality in the existing Upper Anny is in the same place more or less. Access to the wheelchair seats is at the same level, while access to the hospitality seating is via staircases up to the vomitories.

The new GA concourse serves the upper part of the new tier with staircases up to the centre of the upper seating. There's no level access from the concourse to the seating area.

The issue is that the GA wheelchair seats in the new extension have their own small dedicated concourse, separate from the main concourse. As pre-match and half-time is an integral part of the match it's not in accordance with guidance to allow everyone to have the same experience.

I agree it's not ideal but does seem to be a consequence of building on the existing lower stand (the Main Stand redevelopment had a new intermediate tier that allowed more flexibility in the design of the wheelchair seating). It would be difficult to accommodate 32 +32 wheelchair and companion spaces in the upper seating with level access from the level 2 concourse. One option would be to allow use of Lift 04 for any wheelchair user who wants to use the level 02 GA concourse.

Architects and designers take these issues seriously and I'm sure they will have taken on board any comments if possible.

Thanks for your detailed response from an architect's point of view.

Regarding the bit in bold --- in other words, although they could have adapted the existing structure in any number of ways, the new design succeeds in using existing infrastructure so as to result in an unacceptable, segregated section for these wheelchair users. 

I wish I could agree that architects and designers take these issues seriously enough.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #831 on: June 7, 2021, 01:23:17 pm »
Thanlks for the link. This is the specific part in relation to inclusive design. It includes a request for the club to cvonsider the points raised above:

Inclusive Design Specialist

In relation to the public realm, is satisfied that the club has considered the needs of all potential users of the public and has created a design which aims to meet the specific needs of a variety of users groups as best as possible.

In relation to the internal design of the stand, a number of recommendations were made in interest of providing the best possible inclusive access for all. These included the following:

•   Provision of gender neutral toilets on each level of the stand, in line with best practice. Recommended to liaise with LGBTQ supporter groups and/or their local/regional/national representative organisations, as well as organisations representing other potential user groups including Dementia Action Alliance, Alzheimer’s Society, Carers groups. 

•   Provision of a Changing Places facility.

•   Provision of accessible baby changing provision on each level of the stand.

•   Provision of ‘family friendly’ toilets on each level of the stand which are suitable for families with children of a range of ages and different genders (particularly as the Anfield Road stand is the only stand that sells child tickets). 

•   Details for Fan Zone are needed, showing the location of toilets (including accessible toilets), food and drink outlets, and any other facilities within this space.

•   Food and drink outlets to have counter heights / sections of counter heights suitable for wheelchair users. All to be equipped with suitable hearing enhancement system e.g. induction loop.

•   Provision of accessible staff changing facility.

•   Provision of unisex access to accessible WCs (i.e. not through gendered toilet entrance doors).

•   Provision of a lift to access the ‘back of house’ areas on the mezzanine to enable disabled people to access this area of employment.

•   Provision of a sensory room within the stand.

•   Consider provision of a faith space.

•   Passenger lifts to designed to be evacuation lift standard, as recommended in the Accessible Stadia guidelines.

Considered that the wheelchair user area at mezzanine level (to serve the 32 wheelchair spaces and 32 companion seats on this level) does not promote inclusivity as it effectively segregates disabled people and other people.  It makes it difficult for disabled supporters to mix and share the matchday experience with their non-disabled friends and family.  It also unnecessarily separates families, which in a stand with a high number of family/child tickets, is not ideal.  It is also accepted that some disabled people may prefer the benefits that a segregated area offers (e.g. fewer people, less congested etc). The preference would be for disabled people and other people to be able to mix and socialise with each other and that disabled people are not restricted to one segregated areas. Requested that the club gives this matter further consideration and provides a more inclusive approach to wheelchair accessible seating.   

Satisfied with the level of overall provision and the proposed improvements to the wheelchair accessible seating i.e. increased % of elevated positions. SGSA’s Guidance, all stadia should provide an equitable number of amenity and easy access seats for spectators who may require more space. It is noted that the amenity/easy access seating provision in the stadium will be maintained but not increased.  It is recommended that some amenity/easy access seats are provided in the new Anfield Road Stand (SGSA guidance recommends 1 in every 100 seats).

In relation to the proposal to relocate the home supporters coach parking to the St. Domingo Car Park, requested an Accessibility Audit of the pedestrian route to the stadium to identify any physical barriers that may prevent disabled people and other people from accessing the stadium and whether any remedial works may be required.  Barriers may include lack of dropped kerbs, unsuitable dropped kerbs, uneven surfaces, permanent/temporary obstructions. 

Commended the Club’s willingness to engage with local disabled people and their representative organisations, which included meetings with RNIB and Bradbury Fields (who represent visually impaired people) and also with the Spinal Injuries Association who represent wheelchair users and people with mobility impairments. The issues raised Points by members of the Corporate Access Forum (meeting held 1st February 2021) were understood by the Club’s representatives and agreed to investigate design and management solutions.

Thanks again for this Alan. Great detective work.
I mentioned above, some would say quite harshly, that sometimes architects and designers do not take these things seriously enough. However, take another look at that list of recommendations. It is a long list of some quite obvious omissions that LFC have managed to somehow "overlook". It should not need to be pointed out at two minutes to midnight, just before the plans are to be approved.
My points regarding the segregation of wheelchair users are entirely valid and justified. The guidelines date back to at least 2012, as published by UEFA in its Accessible Stadium Guidelines. It is not rocket science, or even new.
I would go further and say that the line relating to some wheelchair users actually preparing segregated facilities should not be in there. They probably only prefer them because facilities have very often fallen well below the standard required. If such facilities are better than what was there previously, of course people will embrace them, but that doesn't mean they are of the quality to which they are entitled by law.

That these plans are going before the committee with such a long list of recommendations, in itself suggests that an accessible design specialist was not employed from the very beginning, as should be the case in any project of this scale. Accessible and inclusive did should be at the forefront of these plans right from the start.

Where was the club's own Diversity and Inclusion manager when all this was going on? Asleep?

You might be interested to know that these plans were presented to the city council Corporate Access Forum just three months ago, and after they were submitted to the planning department. The plans were challenged on all of the above points. It is a matter of public record!
LFC have driven a coach and horses through the guidelines and adopted the all too prevalent industry norm of bringing sub-standard plans to planning in the hope nobody notices and then arguing the toss about what is 'reasonable adjustment'.

LFC will probably congratulate themselves on a job well done on getting these plans approved. We will then have to wait to see how many of the recommendations are quietly ignored........ And disabled people will continue to be marginalised and discriminated against.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2021, 01:27:53 pm by HomesickRed »

Offline N11RED

• Anny Roader
« Reply #832 on: June 7, 2021, 02:32:47 pm »
Looks like approval has been given. One change was made to the application. 12 concerts a year was initially applied for. This changed to 6 concerts up to a maximum of 5 years. This seems to have been approved too.

Not quite approved. Officers have recommended approval, now up to planning committee members who will meet on the 15th to decide the application. 

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #833 on: June 7, 2021, 03:56:25 pm »
Some great posts in here HomesickRed and Alan_X. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: June 7, 2021, 07:02:40 pm »
Very interesting post about disabled access. Club needs to do all it can to get this right.

Sorry if answered already but would 61k make us eligible for hosting things like FA Cup semis and European finals or is it still too small?
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #835 on: June 7, 2021, 08:00:41 pm »
Very interesting post about disabled access. Club needs to do all it can to get this right.

Sorry if answered already but would 61k make us eligible for hosting things like FA Cup semis and European finals or is it still too small?

Sure,I’ve read previously things such as proximity to an airport and space around in the pitch are also factors in that. Can’t see why we couldn’t host a Europa League Final.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: June 7, 2021, 08:08:52 pm »
Sure,I’ve read previously things such as proximity to an airport and space around in the pitch are also factors in that. Can’t see why we couldn’t host a Europa League Final.
The

Pitch

Is

Too

Small

(Only about the 10,00th time on these threads ;D)
W

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #837 on: June 7, 2021, 08:11:28 pm »
The

Pitch

Is

Too

Small

;D

Got it.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: June 7, 2021, 08:19:41 pm »
The

Pitch

Is

Too

Small

New thread title. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #839 on: June 7, 2021, 08:21:09 pm »
Call me an old cynic, but judging by the actions of FSG over the last couple of years, I get the feeling they just want this done as quickly and cheaply as possible for PR reasons and as means of saying ‘don’t question us and our finances, look what we’ve done for you!?!?’. I personally don’t think they’d even really bother with the stand if it were just up to them, let alone continue with the rest of the stadium like some people think they will. Happy to be proven wrong, just when it comes to ‘goodwill’ regarding supporter care as related in homesicks posts, I’ve lost all faith in them.

I would not be surprised if these things were taken into consideration at Bramley Moore. Everton are streets ahead of us on that front.