Author Topic: Anfield through the ages (pics)  (Read 43977 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anfield through the ages (pics)
« Reply #280 on: September 13, 2023, 04:34:42 pm »
Just spotted this on Facebook with the wording of.

"What a photo. Spion Kop days. 1980s half and half bobble hats, sheepies (what happened to those coats we called sheepies?) and Adidas jackets and footwear all over the place. The old standing Kop, the place we got our supporting education."

Used to always be near to that big post.

My usual spec was right near that post too, usually about level with the right hand stancion of the goal. If our kid was with me, he'd be about 10 then, we'd stand just the other side of the middle walkway that ran across the Kop.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #281 on: September 13, 2023, 07:34:31 pm »
Every time I see some moan about the smallest of design detail in the new stand, I think of those two lads standing on a big pipe.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #282 on: September 13, 2023, 10:39:14 pm »
Every time I see some moan about the smallest of design detail in the new stand, I think of those two lads standing on a big pipe.
Imagine how many would be moaning about the brickwork on the left of the picture.

"Bricks look mismatched, pointing is shite, FSG out."
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: September 13, 2023, 10:41:50 pm »
My lad protesting on the kop in 1993. Never worked but he's nearly 30 now and glad he did his bit.

Quality that.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2023, 09:41:52 am »
Imagine how many would be moaning about the brickwork on the left of the picture.

"Bricks look mismatched, pointing is shite, FSG out."

Went the Villa game and to be honest, the brickwork above the M turnstiles is a fucking mess, it looks like a YTS kid, who couldn't be fucking arsed, did the work ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2024, 10:09:14 pm »
Liverpool Then and Now on FB posted this of The Kop - 1994 and present.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: February 1, 2024, 09:39:58 pm »
The road markings appear to have survived the test of time.

As for The Kop we talk about how small it is now, particularly compared to The Main and The Road End.  The footprint of the new Kop is however significantly larger than the old Kop, row 50 of the current Kop being roughly comparable with the back of the standing Kop. Yet the old version seemed huge.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2024, 01:51:27 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: February 6, 2024, 07:18:51 pm »
The road markings appear to have survived the test of time.

As for The Kop we talk about how small it is now, particularly compared to The Main and The Road End.  The footprint of the new Kop is however significantly larger than the old Kop, row 50 of the current Kop being roughly comparable with the back of the standing Kop. Yet the old version seemed huge.

Been said a few times but a question of scale I think. It was bigger than what was around it (for most of its life), it filled the eye's view being so wide, it was darker and therefore less clear to the eye at the back and the optical effect of a closely packed crowd made it seem bigger. 26,000 just looks bigger than 12,000 even in a smaller space.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2024, 08:58:17 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #288 on: February 6, 2024, 10:02:19 pm »
Been said a few times but a question of scale I think. It was bigger than what was around it (for most of its life), it filled the eye's view being so wide, it was darker and therefore less clear to the eye at the back and the optical effect of a closely packed crowd made it seem bigger. 26,000 just looks bigger than 12,000 even in a smaller space.

I know it’s something you’ve probably been asked loads of times Peter but is it possible to expand the kop on the same footprint ie steeper etc, and do you think it’s ever likely to happen. I’ve had a season ticket for around 35 years and I’ve never been majorly impressed with it as a stand, the old terrace on the other hand was a work of art standing in there was a privilege.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: February 6, 2024, 10:38:21 pm »
Just spotted this on Facebook with the wording of.

"What a photo. Spion Kop days. 1980s half and half bobble hats, sheepies (what happened to those coats we called sheepies?) and Adidas jackets and footwear all over the place. The old standing Kop, the place we got our supporting education."

Used to always be near to that big post.

The two lads in front of barrier looking to have that camera off.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: February 8, 2024, 04:00:42 am »

I know it’s something you’ve probably been asked loads of times Peter but is it possible to expand the kop on the same footprint ie steeper etc, and do you think it’s ever likely to happen. I’ve had a season ticket for around 35 years and I’ve never been majorly impressed with it as a stand, the old terrace on the other hand was a work of art standing in there was a privilege.

Making it steeper on the same footprint doesn’t expand it. It just makes it steeper.

« Last Edit: February 8, 2024, 04:08:19 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #291 on: February 14, 2024, 09:13:04 pm »
Someone posted this OS map of the Anfield area on Facebook.
Not sure what year it was drawn up.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #292 on: February 24, 2024, 02:13:51 am »
The two lads in front of barrier looking to have that camera off.

Ha ha  ;D