Author Topic: Mindhunter (Netflix)  (Read 15817 times)

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mindhunter (Netflix)
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2019, 01:35:19 pm »
Up to episode 5 and really enjoying it. One thing that is annoying me though, why are all their faces so yellow?

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2019, 01:41:23 pm »
Been putting this show off for too long, been watching one episode each night before bed & its brilliant, find myself unable to take my eyes away from the TV. With the footy taking over at the weekend I'll try & watch as many as possible today.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2019, 01:59:52 pm »
Thoughts on the bad guy:

Spoiler
Read his Wiki entry after I finished the last episode and it was dead interesting. I think he did some of them, I don't think he did all of them and I really think the Klan were involved.
[close]

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2019, 06:54:35 am »
Thoughts on the bad guy:

Spoiler
Read his Wiki entry after I finished the last episode and it was dead interesting. I think he did some of them, I don't think he did all of them and I really think the Klan were involved.
[close]

Agree with that. Was fuming when ep9 ended during my binge and realised there was no ep10

Online RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2019, 10:44:47 am »
The story between the doc and the bartender was completely pointless and tedious, what a load of shite. Totally irrelevant to the plot and obviously written to go with the tide and please certain people. Apart from that the season was okay.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:13:49 pm by RedSamba »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2019, 11:51:40 am »
Loved the second series. The interviews with the serial killers have always been top notch for me and how the work impacts the protagonists on their personal life is always spot on. Its dour atmosphere is also unrivaled imo. Fincher has done a great job there.

Casting has been really good and you can tell by the addition of the secondary ones with the Atlanta murders which in turn was/is such a horrible situation. Those poor kids and mothers.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2019, 12:46:12 am »
Up to episode 5 and really enjoying it. One thing that is annoying me though, why are all their faces so yellow?
Thank God, thought I was the only one.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2019, 09:18:30 am »
Agree with that. Was fuming when ep9 ended during my binge and realised there was no ep10

Same!

I`m old enough to remember the Atlanta Child Murders. I kinda recall watching a mini-series on terrestial TV back in the early nineties. I`ve only vague memories of it, but i kinda feel they also left it more vague and had some sympathy for Williams. It seems obvious that they conflated some "ordinary" murders with the serial killer.

This is a great series though, it`s a grower and looks like it`s in for the long haul. Not a huge fan of the green palette, which as others have said make the faces yellow.

I studied Applied Forensic Psychology as part of my degree back when the subject was new and sexy, and all of these approaches we now take as the norm (thanks to the likes of Silence of the Lambs bringing them into the mainstream) were really seen as revolutionary.

Bring back Holden`s hippie girlfriend!
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2019, 12:16:51 am »
The story between the doc and the bartender was completely pointless and tedious, what a load of shite. Totally irrelevant to the plot and obviously written to go with the tide and please certain people. Apart from that the season was okay.

Just got through with it, loved the second series but agree with that. Felt like they didn't know what to do with her character for a lot of it, besides when she was interviewing a couple of the killers.

Really interesting and layered on the whole though, Tench is great, Holden's a bit of a knobhead though, isn't he? Cast and the writing is pretty brilliant on the whole though, reading up about the killers is dead ... erm, interesting  ;D

Interesting to see where they go next in terms of the killers etc. Would love to know how much of what happens with the main characters is real. Not the actual murders but were the FBI agents they're based on so heavily involved with all of these cases? Were the interviews they conducted ever released/part of the book it's based on?
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2019, 05:40:34 am »
^ there are clips comparing the real and reenacted Ed Kemper (possibly in the Netflix extras) which I assume were extracted from the original interviews, so I'm guessing they're out there in some form.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2019, 02:51:04 pm »

Interesting to see where they go next in terms of the killers etc.

Don't know the answers to the other questions but I am going to punt that Ted Bundy is odds on favourite for centrepiece of season 3 - but I heard on some podcast that the 80s were the high point of Serial killing in the US, so there should be rich pickings to be had for the scriptwriters, given where the chronology reached. If we don't see the Unabomber then they will definitely have a 5th series, as he is the big story of the genre.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2019, 05:15:30 am »
They’re leading up to BTK getting caught, but that wasn’t until 2005. So a lot of time jumps, I suppose? It has struck me as odd that they tease him.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2019, 11:53:38 am »
I'll be honest, I'd never even heard of the BTK case, so I felt a bit out of the loop when he was mentioned. I'd have liked them to have spent a bit more time on the Son of Sam to be honest, as they did with Kemper in the first series. The casting is excellent.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2020, 11:23:17 am »
RUDDY BLOODY BOLLOCKS

Mindhunter season 3 uncertain, David Fincher 'may revisit' Netflix series in the future - Entertainment weekly

'Season 3 of Netflix’s Mindhunter is not coming any time soon.

The future of the show has been put on hold while series director and executive producer David Fincher works on his first directorial feature for the streamer, Mank. And, in the time since season 2 of the thriller debuted in August, the actors’ contracts with the show have lapsed, allowing them to seek out other work if they choose.'

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2020, 11:36:25 am »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2020, 11:54:20 am »
Well that's shit.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2020, 12:39:56 pm »
Awful news. Just a quality series and while they leave open the scenario of continuing it, I don't think it will in the end.

Off to do a harakiri.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2020, 12:49:34 pm »
Eurgh!! This is why I tend not to start watching shows til there's at least a few seasons.

I highly doubt we'll get any more of this.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2020, 12:52:13 pm »
Ah shit. This ain't coming back.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2020, 01:17:29 pm »
Saw this thread near the top and hoped there may be news of a third season on the horizon. Instead find out it's essentially over. A real shame, one of the very best things I've watched on TV.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2020, 08:25:52 am »
Gonna be a bit odd for rewatches too, as well as season 2 seemed to be, well, primed to continue

Some of the serial killer performances...was always amazed at how little artistic license they took. There's Youtube videos of the performances side by side by the real interviews they took the dialogue from. Astounding work

Won't miss Tench's dull family storyline but this is a huge loss if it doesn't return (and even if it does it seems like it'll be ages)

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2020, 08:27:34 am »
RUDDY BLOODY BOLLOCKS

Mindhunter season 3 uncertain, David Fincher 'may revisit' Netflix series in the future - Entertainment weekly

'Season 3 of Netflix’s Mindhunter is not coming any time soon.

The future of the show has been put on hold while series director and executive producer David Fincher works on his first directorial feature for the streamer, Mank. And, in the time since season 2 of the thriller debuted in August, the actors’ contracts with the show have lapsed, allowing them to seek out other work if they choose.'

Pooh sticks.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2020, 10:36:44 am »
Shite news, one of the best things I've watched in ages.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2020, 11:26:59 am »
Well that's really shit.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2020, 11:42:15 am »
Do wonder why people start these projects then just walk away before it's finished. Fincher can do one  :no

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2020, 11:42:56 am »
Wonder if Prime will try and pick this up?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2020, 11:48:31 am »
Wonder if Prime will try and pick this up?

Is there any point without Fincher though?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2020, 12:25:23 pm »
Do wonder why people start these projects then just walk away before it's finished. Fincher can do one  :no

Why not just pass it on to another director.
He's no fucking Kubrick.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2020, 12:44:47 pm »
Why not just pass it on to another director.
He's no fucking Kubrick.

I think we have already seen how these people don't like doing that. They would prefer to either walk away or just rush it to get finished cough D&D cough.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2020, 01:27:37 pm »
Not the first time Fincher's done this, same with the english language girl with the dragon tattoo. Was good as a stand alone but was an opportunity to finish the books well

How involved is he with this anyway? I assume he doesn't write it or film it. Surely no good reason not to let someone else take it over if the writing continues

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2020, 02:12:33 pm »
I imagine in 20 years, someone will unknowingly watch the two series, get to the end and think 'what the fuck were all those little cut scenes with the man with the moustache about'.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2020, 02:13:33 pm »

How involved is he with this anyway? I assume he doesn't write it or film it. Surely no good reason not to let someone else take it over if the writing continues

I thought as much, given he shared directing tasks each season and wasn't the showrunner or main writer.

But from IndieWire last year:
The director applied his characteristic focus to the entire production, from having all of showrunner Joe Penhall’s scripts finalized before shooting for a year in Pittsburgh, to careful casting and rehearsals before filming four out of the 10 episodes. Fincher stayed on set throughout the shoot, even when he wasn’t directing. The series storytelling is deceptively simple and unshowy. It’s all about framing and nailing the precise power dynamics within the mise-en-scene, from banal windowless basement offices at Quantico to a range of hideous prisons and local jails.

For one 11-12 page interrogation scene, the production designer Steve Arnold recreated a cage he found in an actual prison. “Bars outside, stone walls inside and a cyclone fence cage; three or four visible layers of incarceration,” said Fincher at a Netflix panel. “We start with that conversation, shooting the shit, as the prisoner tries to avoid answering any questions, and they’re chasing him around the space getting him to talk.”

To capture a maximum-security prison, Fincher locked his cameras for 85 feet on a close-up tracking shot of Groff walking, letting the horrific cacophony of sounds bring the environment to life. “Everyone who has ever been in prison will tell you, it’s the sound that is unnerving,” said Fincher. “Male aggression bouncing off the tiles, upstairs and downstairs, screams. We turned it into a big sequence to get him to walk straight down the hallway. We could do more unsettling things with the sounds than with all the gruesome inmates with tusks or whatever. It sounds like  a slaughterhouse, basically, cries and moans.”

Fincher does look like the main creative driving force behind it.
It's such a shame. I thought he could have passed over the main directing role to someone like Carl Franklin or Andrew Domink, but doesn't look like it's going to happen.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2020, 02:24:18 pm »
I thought as much, given he shared directing tasks each season and wasn't the showrunner or main writer.

But from IndieWire last year:
Fincher does look like the main creative driving force behind it.
It's such a shame. I thought he could have passed over the main directing role to someone like Carl Franklin or Andrew Domink, but doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Cheers for that. Sounds like he's all in then. Disappointing he's dropping it for a netflix feature film, which tend not to be great. Surely that project could wait a year or two, or he would fit it in with the autonomy he's provided

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2020, 03:00:03 pm »
Yet another great show on Netflix finished prematurely.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2020, 03:14:34 pm »
I'm really not convinced this could be picked up by another director. It's so different to most other shows. A real slow-burn pleasure to watch, compulsive and unsettling.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2020, 03:46:20 pm »
I imagine in 20 years, someone will unknowingly watch the two series, get to the end and think 'what the fuck were all those little cut scenes with the man with the moustache about'.

As if they spent two seasons committing to that only for it to end now. Bloody rubbish.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2020, 02:33:08 am »
For fucks sake  :butt

I've watched a bit less TV in the past few years than I used to, not even stuck with most things I've started, but Mindhunter is truly different, what a series, for me far and away the most interesting thing around.

I understand Fincher would like to do another movie, I love basically everything he's done, but I'd joyfully see him swerve whatever it is to continue his involvement on this. I know he's not directed every episode of it, but for me, a TV series with the same evolving characters every episode is so much more intriguing a medium to watch than a film. I understand though most Hollywood directors don't look at it that way and value films higher.

I'd fucking love another series, even if it's just the one.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2020, 10:58:05 pm »
That's really shit...

Great show and was looking forward to future seasons.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2021, 05:17:53 pm »
Just asked about this in the TV thread.  Watched episode 1 earlier today which is a real slow burner and was wondering if it picked up and worth watching going forward.

Judging by the replies in this thread most seemed to agree E1 was a slow one and necessary to set up characters, set the scene and suchlike.

Looking forward to watching more now :)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2021, 05:27:49 pm »
Just asked about this in the TV thread.  Watched episode 1 earlier today which is a real slow burner and was wondering if it picked up and worth watching going forward.

Judging by the replies in this thread most seemed to agree E1 was a slow one and necessary to set up characters, set the scene and suchlike.

Looking forward to watching more now :)

Yeah stay with it, it's well worth it.

Seeing this thread bumped made me think there was news on a 3rd series, I'm sad its not  :'(
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 05:38:09 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA