Author Topic: Brooklyn Nine Nine - FOX  (Read 14422 times)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Re: Brooklyn Nine Nine - FOX
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 10:39:21 am »
On episode 14 now and still think it's funny but I really wish they got rid of the Secretary character, she is annoying as hell, so pointless and her voice is crap, no need.

Peralta/Andy Samberg is still a legend though

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:39 pm »
Don't get the hate on Chelsea Peretti (the secretary), thought she was funny, she's a comedian who went to school with Andy Samberg

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 04:31:02 pm »
I can take or leave her, I can see why she'd be annoying to some mind. 

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 11:21:05 pm »
Got through the first episode (just about) and found it terrible. Just wasn't funny and came across as trying too hard.

Is it worth persisting with? Does it get better?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 11:45:36 am »
Got through the first episode (just about) and found it terrible. Just wasn't funny and came across as trying too hard.

Is it worth persisting with? Does it get better?

It certainly improves, but if you hated the first episode it might just not be for you.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #45 on: April 7, 2014, 06:29:51 pm »
As anyone who's ever frequented the Parks and Rec thread knows, I consider Mike Schur a golden god, so it was only a matter of time until I got around to watching this. I had seen the pilot back when it aired and I enjoyed it, but it just slipped through the cracks. I purchased Amazon Fire TV and received it on Friday, though, so I began watching this on the Hulu Plus app. I ended up watching the entire season over the weekend.

It's a slow burn, but I think it's quality. Much like Parks and Rec, it took about 8-9 episodes to really find its feet, but once it did I thought it was excellent. Terry Crews was the standout performer for me. He consistently killed it which I was not expecting. Brilliant effort by him.

Personally, I could see Mike Schur's fingerprints all over the show. There are obvious parallels between some of the characters here and on P&R, but for me the two aspects which resonated the most were the tempo of the show and I guess what I'd call, for lack of a better term, its evolution. The latter is, for me, Parks and Rec's standout feature and I was really glad to see echoes of it on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Schur's shows, unlike most standard sitcoms, always seem to be moving forward. Most comedies find a sweet spot and refuse to move from there. Financially, it's a very prudent thing to do (just ask Chuck Lorre's bank account), but critically it blows. It's why most are considered to have dulled/jumped the shark by about their fourth season. Parks is always pushing its characters forward, occasionally looking back, but almost never standing still. I thought there were clear signs of the same with Brooklyn Nine-Nine. The most obvious is how they conclude the season for Jake, but I thought they did an excellent job of it with Boyle and the Sarge as well.

I also enjoyed the depth they gave to their characters which is another aspect reminiscent of Parks. Boyle's not just the pushover archetype, he's also brave, loyal, and often self-aware. Gina is clearly an eccentric oddball, but she's surprisingly perceptive and fiscally responsible. Scully can sing. Holt is gay and considered extremely funny in his social circle. Everyone has their niche, but they're far from beholden to it.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, especially the latter half of the season. Oh, and Nick Offerman saying "Fremulon" at the end of the credits cracked me up every single time.
Justice For The 96

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #46 on: April 7, 2014, 11:37:38 pm »
Sorry but this just isn't funny, at all. I've given it a few goes now, lazy cliched gags and typical American sitcom lines and predictability.

If someone can post a few clips to the contrary I'll gladly take a look but I find it painful to watch.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 8, 2014, 08:52:01 am »
It certainly improves, but if you hated the first episode it might just not be for you.
A lot of people need to accept it's just not their kind of show I think. Instead of slagging the whole thing off.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 8, 2014, 11:18:02 am »
A lot of people need to accept it's just not their kind of show I think. Instead of slagging the whole thing off.

A lot of people need to stop watching shite telly aswell. ;)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 8, 2014, 06:50:04 pm »
A lot of people need to stop watching shite telly aswell. ;)

;D

Obviously whether or not you find it funny is completely subjective, so no point arguing that, but I'd disagree pretty strongly that it's a typical American sitcom. For that I'd point to the fare CBS (read: Chuck Lorre) offers up year on year, the likes of The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, etc.
Justice For The 96

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 8, 2014, 06:54:22 pm »
On episode 14 now and still think it's funny but I really wish they got rid of the Secretary character, she is annoying as hell, so pointless and her voice is crap, no need.

Peralta/Andy Samberg is still a legend though

Maybe I'm weird, but I find her voice pretty sexy. She's like the Barry White of skinny white women.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #51 on: April 8, 2014, 06:54:30 pm »
I couldn't get into it myself..I'm going to give it another in the summer.

Even if I don't dig it I'm glad Braugher's got a hit after waiting so long for another.

He was brilliant in Homicide:Life on the Street.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 8, 2014, 08:09:57 pm »
;D

Obviously whether or not you find it funny is completely subjective, so no point arguing that, but I'd disagree pretty strongly that it's a typical American sitcom. For that I'd point to the fare CBS (read: Chuck Lorre) offers up year on year, the likes of The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, etc.

Yeah exactly and the travesty that is 'How I met your mother'.

Of course it's subjective and there's plenty I might like others might find bemusing but I'm always willing to give something a go but I genuinely don't find the script in Brooklyn Nine-Nine anyways funny. It's more about the characters but I don't find anything particularly appealing or endearing about them. Just my opinion like don't shoot me down for it. :)

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #53 on: April 8, 2014, 08:43:18 pm »
I think its quality.

Doesnt try to be something it isnt. Its just daft.

I find it really funny.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 8, 2014, 09:17:17 pm »
Yeah exactly and the travesty that is 'How I met your mother'.

Of course it's subjective and there's plenty I might like others might find bemusing but I'm always willing to give something a go but I genuinely don't find the script in Brooklyn Nine-Nine anyways funny. It's more about the characters but I don't find anything particularly appealing or endearing about them. Just my opinion like don't shoot me down for it. :)

Don't worry about that. I'm the nutter who thinks True Detective isn't the greatest show ever.
Justice For The 96

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 8, 2014, 09:23:27 pm »
Don't worry about that. I'm the nutter who thinks True Detective isn't the greatest show ever.

Uh-oh!

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 9, 2014, 06:03:37 pm »
Cant get enough of it. Had me within the first 2 minutes, its fantastic.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 9, 2014, 06:05:16 pm »
Cant get enough of it. Had me within the first 2 minutes, its fantastic.

Wrong thread? :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2014, 12:18:35 am »
Justice For The 96

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2014, 08:22:51 am »
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2014, 09:09:24 am »
The second half of this season has definitely been better. Had some some real laugh out loud lines.

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #61 on: May 9, 2014, 01:04:52 pm »
Sorry but I have tried with this and just think it is trying too hard to be wacky and forgot decent scripts. That PA character is probably the most annoying one I have seen on TV. All just overwrought and over hammy

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2014, 10:21:10 pm »
Deffo gets better by the episode.

Fave for me was the Kwazy Cupcake one. Hoping theres a second series.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:04:54 am by oddball »
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2014, 11:57:30 pm »
Dsffl gets better by the episode.

Fave for me was the Kwazy Cupcake one. Hoping theres a second series.

Thought it was confirmed after Samberg won an Emmy for this season

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2014, 01:05:19 am »
Thought it was confirmed after Samberg won an Emmy for this season

Dunno mate, didnt even know it had won ought to be honest.

EDIT; Just had a look, yup theres another series.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2014, 10:54:34 am »
Think the show improves as it goes along.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2014, 05:46:53 pm »
Eyes closed, head first, can't lose!

Season 2 returns on the 28th in the States. Been moved to Sundays.
Justice For The 96

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2014, 06:09:30 pm »
Eyes closed, head first, can't lose!

Season 2 returns on the 28th in the States. Been moved to Sundays.

That's probably the best thing that could have happened to it as a Fox series - Sunday is by far the safest place on that network. It's got the cushion of Peter's fat arse in "Family Guy" among others  ;)
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2016, 09:36:27 pm »
Still a decent enough show this

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2016, 11:37:42 am »
Anyone still watching this? Have just finished season 3 and apparantly this week season 4 has started again. Quite like the show even though some of the characters (or the way the writers are going with them) can be a bit annoying or bland. Not talking about Gina, because I love her character. Just feel that Rosa gets a bit bland as the seasons go on with her grumpy-shtick and the sudden love for the cop who's come back after years of being undercover. I also think Amy gets more and more boring and it kind of feels they don't know what to do with her.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2018, 11:50:39 am »
Had only watched Brooklyn 99 intermittently on E4 up till a couple weeks ago, then one evening started from scratch on Netflix. Been hooked ever since, up to Season 3 Episode 6 now, and it's remained consistantly funny throughout. Andre Braugher is briliant of course, but the entire cast really all adds something to this show.

Any other fans on RAWK?
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2018, 11:51:48 am »
I watched the first four seasons on Netflix recently, it's very funny! One thing I notice, what's with all the toasts? It's like the writers put one in a lot of the episodes.

• Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2018, 12:00:33 pm »
I watched the first four seasons on Netflix recently, it's very funny! One thing I notice, what's with all the toasts? It's like the writers put one in a lot of the episodes.

Wondered this myself, I noticed a few very subtle ongoing gags (like where Peralta says "cool cool cool cool" when he's nervous") but not sure if the toasts are coincidence. Love Terry Crews in it as well, its just sooooo good!

Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2018, 03:16:32 pm »
A great series, consistently good quality writing and acting.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2018, 03:23:51 pm »
my favourite moment i think  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/o42hhcH4VjE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/o42hhcH4VjE</a>
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2018, 03:39:52 pm »
my favourite moment i think  ;D

Mine is the Halloween king episode from the third season when they are going to the janitors house. I live the scene before when Amy gives Peralta and Holt the address and Jake talks to Boyle to meet him somewhere and Holt calls his guys and uses all those code names which makes Jake angry. And then Holt's delivery when they run up 16 flights of stairs and he's having a go at the lady who opens the door for not being the janitor...

• Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2018, 04:03:40 pm »
Mine is the Halloween king episode from the third season when they are going to the janitors house. I live the scene before when Amy gives Peralta and Holt the address and Jake talks to Boyle to meet him somewhere and Holt calls his guys and uses all those code names which makes Jake angry. And then Holt's delivery when they run up 16 flights of stairs and he's having a go at the lady who opens the door for not being the janitor...

IMBECILE!!! Haha, brilliant, I literally watched that last night!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2018, 07:32:50 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ffyKY3Dj5ZE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ffyKY3Dj5ZE</a>

Still nothing touches this. Greatest open ever.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2018, 01:54:18 pm »
Still nothing touches this. Greatest open ever.
;D quality. andy samberg is brilliant
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2018, 11:02:42 am »

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by toasts?