Author Topic: Rehabbing an injury  (Read 12854 times)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Rehabbing an injury
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:09:12 pm »
So I've been struggling with my back for a good while now, I recently had to take a month off work due to it.  Quite simply it's slowly on the mend again to the point where I'm back at work and I'm able to lift objects again to a small degree (I work as a home shopping van driver though they've modified my duties since I returned to work so now I just gather the items in the early morning).  The problem I've got is that the recovery of my back has somewhat plateaued and with physio through the doctor's surgery seemingly cancelled (no-one's spoken to me about it but the surgery had a pdf of a form that said they'd told me that I wouldn't be getting it, only no-one told me anything) I just wanted some help on the best way that I can manage/improve it.

Some bits about me that might be pertinent:
I'm 30 and overweight (5'8" and just under 14st)
The pain is in the lower back.
Due to IBS I cannot take anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen; instead I just have to deal with the pain through tablets such as co-codamol).
The injury was getting worse the more I was working.
I've had a previous strain in it through working in a car park pushing trolleys for 8 years.

I already stretch out and use some yoga methods to try and provide some strength in it but I'm looking to start light jogging.  Is that likely to exasperate things or should I try and see how I go?  Should I look to lose a lot of weight to help?  Any help would be appreciated!
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Rehabbing an injury
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:18:09 pm »
Where to start.

Firstly, if you've been promised physio and you've not yet received it I'd go back to your Dr and ask him what's going on with your referral.

Secondly, losing a bit of weight won't hurt you at all and it'll be easier for your back and for you.

Thirdly there's not too much advice I can give you as I can't see your back. I can't see if there's over activity in your muscles anywhere, I can't see whether you hinge when bending over. I don't know what your movement limitations are and whether you're able to move pain free. Basically I'd be loathe to give you any advice just in case it exasperates your condition and makes you worse. If you're still in pain I'd advise against any jogging at all at this stage but do try to keep it moving. Walking, continue with the stretching and apply heat packs to your back to try and loosen it up a little bit more.

Most importantly though, get to a physio as soon as you can.

Offline foreverred1983

• Kopite
Injuries
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2013, 08:15:01 pm »
Hi lads

I have bad knee pain for the last few months that my physio has diagnosed as patellar misalignment. I got an mri just to make sure there was nothing else wrong and there isnt. Basically my point in starting this thread is I need advice on how to clear this up. Any physios in here or people who might have had the same problem as this with advice? It would be greatly appreciated. I cant afford to keep going back to the physio at this point to sort it out.

Its very annoying because I cant do any running without it flaring up so playing football has to come to a complete stop. It is depressing to say the least.

I have tried to do sissy squats over the last few days and the pain is worse today after I seemed to be getting used to doing the squats. There isnt anything sissy about them!

If this post should go in another thread that I havent been able to find, apologies.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
Re: Injuries
« Reply #3 on: December 9, 2013, 08:47:37 pm »
I had this issue a few years ago. Caused loads of locking up and pain in my knee.

In my case, essentially, it was caused by the way I walked and a lazy posture. Basically, my hip was out of line with my knee.

I was given a course of physio which included "sissy squats" and loads of other stuff which strengthened the muscles around my hips, arse and knees.

Took 3-6 months and I've had no issue since. Go back to your GP and get him to refer you.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2013, 08:55:18 pm »
I had pain with my knee and docs said it was Osgood Schlatters, physio and all that has never helped and still an issue for me in regards to knee feeling as if its seized up and get pain in my hip now n all.

Offline Seagull Dave

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2013, 08:56:32 pm »
Im currently recovering from a nasty foot & ankle injury (i nearly lost my foot) got DVTs and blood clots that went into my lungs and nearly killed me. I have just started a 6 month physio course to get me back to full strength and the only thing that helps me keep things moving is the stationary bike at the gym. I cant run on treadmill for obvious reasons but the bike is doing wonders!

Also swimming! Go swimming loads that should help you along the way.
JFT96 Dont Buy The Sun

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2013, 08:58:03 pm »
No advice I'm afraid, wouldn't have a clue, but I am in a similar situation with being injured and unable to play football, and its horrible so I feel for you. I think I'm just going to have to give up altogether now unfortunately.

A couple of years ago I hurt my ankle quite badly - I'd just turned up for the weekly 5-a-side with colleagues, hadn't even put my bag down when I went to kick the football, a colleague went to kick it in the opposite direction, and my ankle went. I ended up going straight home, couldn't put much weight on it for weeks, and couldn't crouch without it hurting like mad for months.

After that it seemed to twist really easily, but never really that bad, I'd generally be able to run it off and carry on with the match. However, about 6 or 7 weeks ago I did it in really badly. I'd played outfield for just under 2 hours, then decided to go in goal for the last 10 minutes as I was shattered. Went down to save a shot, ball hit my ankle quite hard, I stood up and fell straight back down again (I did divert the ball out for a corner though :)). I couldn't walk on it at all, and had to hop around the edge of the pitch holding onto the barriers. Driving home was difficult as I could hardly push the clutch in. Although some days its fine now, others I just can't put any weight on it barely. Turning it very slightly hurts.

I went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago and she said it was still slightly swollen, but was just tendon/ligament damage. I asked whether I should put an ankle support on but she said she wouldn't bother.

How long does ligament / tendon damage take to clear up normally, and is there anything I should be doing to help it (apart from resting it)?

(sorry to hijack the thread).

EDIT: having just read another post I realise I might have missed out something quite important. When driving my ankle often locks (or even when just sitting on the sofa) - I go to straighten it (for example to release the clutch) and it gets stuck before seeming to crack (which is quite painful). I keep thinking it feels like bone damage, but I'm not sure I'd be walking on it if it were.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 09:00:52 pm by damian »
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline Seagull Dave

• Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2013, 09:01:32 pm »
If its ligament and tendons the best thing is rest mate let it heal properly before doing anything too exctiting on it.

I got took out by a nasty tackle with basically disconnected my whole foot from my ankle the joint came completely away. I had about 6 seperate fractures and all the ligaments were ruptured! That was in august and ive only just on thursday gone got out of cast.
JFT96 Dont Buy The Sun

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 9, 2013, 09:26:00 pm »
If its ligament and tendons the best thing is rest mate let it heal properly before doing anything too exctiting on it.

I got took out by a nasty tackle with basically disconnected my whole foot from my ankle the joint came completely away. I had about 6 seperate fractures and all the ligaments were ruptured! That was in august and ive only just on thursday gone got out of cast.

Ouch, sounds very nasty. And here was me thinking one fracture would be bad. How long is that likely to keep you out of action for?

Nothing more exciting than walking is really possibly on mine right now.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #9 on: December 9, 2013, 09:59:56 pm »
I had pain with my knee and docs said it was Osgood Schlatters, physio and all that has never helped and still an issue for me in regards to knee feeling as if its seized up and get pain in my hip now n all.

How old are you to still have Osgood Schlatters????
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #10 on: December 9, 2013, 10:00:45 pm »
My brother had it for years. Not sure when it went away but was well into his 20's I think.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 9, 2013, 10:01:50 pm »

It was the excuse whilst I was in my teens / early 20's. I'm now 34. They've mentioned the muscle behind knee cap is deteriorating but nothing can be done apparently.

Offline Seagull Dave

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: December 9, 2013, 10:46:39 pm »
Ouch, sounds very nasty. And here was me thinking one fracture would be bad. How long is that likely to keep you out of action for?

Nothing more exciting than walking is really possibly on mine right now.

Probably another few months to get back to where i want to be like.

Ive just got out of cast 12 weeks in full plaster and 4 in one of those boots i can hobble round now but it really is still very painful because its stiff the only things i can do are excersize bike and swim. It feels alot better already after a week and 2 physio sessions.

The bike will do you the world of good
JFT96 Dont Buy The Sun

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #13 on: December 9, 2013, 10:53:33 pm »
I snapped my ACL at 23, haven't played since. (26 now)

Had the reconstruction operation and then the pyhsio for months afterwards (8 months)... and ye, I went and did it again. Never felt so gutted after that, fucking frustrating.

Psychologically the injury is a nightmare.

The only positives are I can spend more time in the pub, its an hard life.
YNWA

Offline Seagull Dave

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: December 9, 2013, 11:05:10 pm »
I snapped my ACL at 23, haven't played since. (26 now)

Had the reconstruction operation and then the pyhsio for months afterwards (8 months)... and ye, I went and did it again. Never felt so gutted after that, fucking frustrating.

Psychologically the injury is a nightmare.

The only positives are I can spend more time in the pub, its an hard life.

I think thats the main problem with ligaments once they go they never repair as strong as they were. Which is why its so easy to do again. Unless your a footballer who has millions to spend on private healthcare. My sunday league insurance paid me a total of £47 for my injuries and i was off work 4 months
JFT96 Dont Buy The Sun

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15 on: December 9, 2013, 11:15:55 pm »

DO NOT completely rest it. That's the worst thing that you can do.

Snip

I'd go get an x-ray mate and refer yourself to a physio for it mate as they'll be able to give you a proper assessment.

To try and help a little bit though how long ago did you do it? Is it still swollen? How much weight are you able to put through it?

Hi lads

I have bad knee pain for the last few months that my physio has diagnosed as patellar misalignment. I got an mri just to make sure there was nothing else wrong and there isnt. Basically my point in starting this thread is I need advice on how to clear this up. Any physios in here or people who might have had the same problem as this with advice? It would be greatly appreciated. I cant afford to keep going back to the physio at this point to sort it out.

Its very annoying because I cant do any running without it flaring up so playing football has to come to a complete stop. It is depressing to say the least.

I have tried to do sissy squats over the last few days and the pain is worse today after I seemed to be getting used to doing the squats. There isnt anything sissy about them!

If this post should go in another thread that I havent been able to find, apologies.

Did the physio give you any exercises to do when you saw them?

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 9, 2013, 11:30:17 pm »

I'd go get an x-ray mate and refer yourself to a physio for it mate as they'll be able to give you a proper assessment.

To try and help a little bit though how long ago did you do it? Is it still swollen? How much weight are you able to put through it?

It was actually longer ago than I thought, about 9 weeks. I was considering going for an x-ray and went to see the doc in the hope she'd refer me. I might have to take a trip to A&E to have it checked if it continues as bad. Sometimes the pain can actually go right up the front of my leg to my knee, which is another worrying bit about it.

It doesn't look swollen to me, though the doc suggested it was. A lot of the time I can walk on it, though its more of a limp as I get a twinge every time I take a step. However, if I turn ever so slightly on it it will go again and I'll then barely be able to put any weight on it for an hour or so (if I rest it), though its longer if I'm out and can't sit down. A couple of days ago I struggled to walk down the stairs because each step on that foot was quite painful.

At the moment its not too bad, but if I try to stretch it (e.g. point with it so its straight with my leg) then its quite sore up the back of my ankle. If whilst doing that I move my foot from side to side (e.g. to point left and right) its painful on the top and side of my foot. Its quite hard to explain :)

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17 on: December 9, 2013, 11:33:51 pm »
A&E tomorrow mate.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 9, 2013, 11:41:30 pm »
A&E tomorrow mate.

I've actually got Wednesday off work so might go then - fed up of having to say no to football so need it fixed up properly ASAP so I can get back to it.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:49 am »
I've actually got Wednesday off work so might go then - fed up of having to say no to football so need it fixed up properly ASAP so I can get back to it.

Your choice mate but sooner you go the sooner you get it sorted. To be honest though if you've got a Minor Injuries Unit around your area then go there first as it'll lessen the strain on A&E but if you haven't go to A&E.

Pheeny

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 10:05:04 am »
Can't you go to a GP?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 10:12:47 am »
Can't you go to a GP?

He's already been. I don't think it sounds like what the GP is saying it is. GPs are useless with MSK diagnosis. My Aunty asked me to take a look at her shoulder and I thought it was a rotator cuff problem. Told her to go to her GP for a physio referral and despite her telling him what I thought he diagnosed it as a frozen shoulder. When she went to see physio they told her that it was a rotator cuff problem and nowhere near a frozen shoulder. Also had numerous times where GPs have sent through referrals that don't have the correct diagnosis on them as well.

Offline Seagull Dave

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 10:22:01 am »

Haha sorry i think i came across wrong there i didnt mean completely rest it i just meant nothing too strenuous that could make it worse. You do need to keep it moving but there are some great excersizes if you look around online.
JFT96 Dont Buy The Sun

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 10:33:51 am »
Haha sorry i think i came across wrong there i didnt mean completely rest it i just meant nothing too strenuous that could make it worse. You do need to keep it moving but there are some great excersizes if you look around online.

Don't need to mate ;) weight bear as pain allows, try to keep as normal a gait pattern as possible and gentle range of movement exercises for the first few weeks within pain ranges and possible some strengthening exercises if pain allows.

Pheeny

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:52 am »
He's already been. I don't think it sounds like what the GP is saying it is. GPs are useless with MSK diagnosis. My Aunty asked me to take a look at her shoulder and I thought it was a rotator cuff problem. Told her to go to her GP for a physio referral and despite her telling him what I thought he diagnosed it as a frozen shoulder. When she went to see physio they told her that it was a rotator cuff problem and nowhere near a frozen shoulder. Also had numerous times where GPs have sent through referrals that don't have the correct diagnosis on them as well.
Do they have "Sports" specialized GP's in the UK?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 10:52:00 am »
Couldn't answer that Pheeny. I don't think so though. GP's tend to be jack of all trades, master of none over here but I could be proven wrong with that.

Offline foreverred1983

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:21 pm »

Did the physio give you any exercises to do when you saw them?

ya a few. lying down and raising my leg off the ground and holding for 5 seconds, do 15 reps.  another one was standing against a wall and sliding my back down into a squat.

i tried to add sissy squats over the last few days but my knee is sore again now so i presume that exercise isnt good for me. i only added it in after seeing youtube video of a guy who has same injury as me (patellar misalignement) advising that this was the single most effective exercise to do.

its very disheartening cos i havent played in two months now and there are no signs of improvement. doctor said my mri showed up nothing wrong.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 06:09:45 pm »
Have you done said exercises for any period of time?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline foreverred1983

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 06:56:12 pm »
Have you done said exercises for any period of time?

about a month now id say give or take. knee wasnt sore 4 days ago and started doing sissy squats and i cant bend it now.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 08:55:20 pm »
about a month now id say give or take. knee wasnt sore 4 days ago and started doing sissy squats and i cant bend it now.

My word. You jumped from crawling to running the 100m. No wonder your knee is sore! Youtube videos and the internet is one of the biggest problems a physio will see, mainly because patients will come in and think that they know what exercises they need to be given because they saw it on Youtube. Everyone is different and that guy might be at a far advanced level than you are, especially seeing as you've had one physio session. That's your biggest problem there, only having one physio session and not persisting with them as they'll be able to monitor your progress and progress you as able.

My advice though:

Ice your knee for a couple of days. Whatever you've done you've aggravated the injury and it needs to settle down. Ice can take the pain away.

Gentle range of movements exercises within pain. Bending and straightening your knee, increasing it the more your able to bend and straighten your knee. Youtube "pendular knee exercises" to get an idea of what you need to do. 4/5 times a day, 10 reps of each. Ice after each exercise. If you can't do the pendular exercises just bend your knee as much as you can when lying down and then straighten it fully.

For now, as tolerated, do these strengthening exercises:

1) Static Quads - With your leg straight on the floor/bed, squeeze your quads as if your pushing your knee down into the floor/bed, pulling your knee cap up as you do. 4/5 times a day, 10 reps of each

2) Inner Range Quads - Place a rolled up towel under your knee in lying, bending it. Squeeze your knee down into the towel making sure your lift your heel off the the floor/bed at the same time. Make sure it's your quads providing this movement and nothing else, especially hitching from the hips. 4/5 times a day, 10 reps of each.

Just do those for now, but mainly get back to a physio to get yourself assessed properly. After a while you should get back to squats and straight leg raises, progressing on to VMO exercises before even going anywhere near sissy squats.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 11:13:09 pm »
ya a few. lying down and raising my leg off the ground and holding for 5 seconds, do 15 reps.  another one was standing against a wall and sliding my back down into a squat.

i tried to add sissy squats over the last few days but my knee is sore again now so i presume that exercise isnt good for me. i only added it in after seeing youtube video of a guy who has same injury as me (patellar misalignement) advising that this was the single most effective exercise to do.

its very disheartening cos i havent played in two months now and there are no signs of improvement. doctor said my mri showed up nothing wrong.

The brutal truth is that unless you do a lot of research a take charge of your rehab you're never going to fix it without paying someone a lot of money.

Rehab is essentially finding the point where you can do a move correctly through full range of motion and then gradually decrease the stability of the exercise and increasing the amount of weight. As a general rule if you can't do an exercise 100% correctly and pain free.....regress the exercise to a point where you can. You don't do what you not ready to, you have to earn it.

Knee pain can be quite complicated and often it is caused by an issue in another area or even more common several issues. Primarily knee pain can be a result of an issue at the joint above or below the knee (ankle, hip).

For instance flat feet or collapsed arches can cause a compensation pattern. A collapsed arch causes your foot to externally rotate. To stand straight your body compensates by your knee internally rotating, even more pronounced when running. Consequently this causes the patella to sits in an externally rotated position (out of alignment). You need to check your feet and consider orthodics or a insole until your knee pain goes and then try and fix that (it's tricky). Google it, there are running shops that test your strike patter for free (then charge you through the nose for shoes) and tests such as one where you step on paper with wet feet and examine the imprint along with various other things. As a betting man I would bet you have some sort of issue here.

Poor range of motion in your ankle/calf can mean that when running you're testing the limits of the range of motion in your ankle and having to compensate through the knee. Again google it, test it, but i'd probably bet you also have less range of motion in the ankle on your knee pain side. There's a heap of calf stretching and strengthening exercises you can do which will likely could help.

It could also be that you have either tight or weak hips. In particular glute medius which is the major muscle that stabilizes the hip when standing on one foot. Google "Trendelenburg gait", here is an interesting article I read the other day also which is kind of relevant.
http://www.mile27.com.au/strengthening-your-gluteus-medius-%E2%80%93-do-exercises-like-the-clam-or-a-side-lying-leg-lift-actually-do-anything/

Finally as the most obvious thing to do is strengthen your VMO which control's the position of your patella. The exercises give by the poster above are pretty much what i'd recommend but again, I'd google it to get an understanding of why you're doing it.

Nobody gives a shit about your knee more than you so take responsibility for it an learn what wrong and how to fix it.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 05:22:04 am »
I'm in a similar situation in that I have knee pain. Can't put any weight at all on my left knee. Twisted my knee in April and it deterioated over the summer. Been on crutches since September. Stuck in a referral swamp since August. Haven't even had an MRI yet. Just hoping I'll be able to walk again sometime in the future.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 11:32:50 am »
I'm in a similar situation in that I have knee pain. Can't put any weight at all on my left knee. Twisted my knee in April and it deterioated over the summer. Been on crutches since September. Stuck in a referral swamp since August. Haven't even had an MRI yet. Just hoping I'll be able to walk again sometime in the future.

How did you do it? Did it swell up straight away? Did you hear a pop or a snap?

Offline mbroon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 03:22:03 pm »
I woke up in the middle of the night with my knee locked in place in a weird angle. It hurt enough to wake me and I couldn't move it out of that position for an hour. Following that I had moderate pain which got worse if I played footie or otherwise ran or walked for a long time. I played footie almost every day all summer and it got worse, but not so bad I couldn't still be playing footie in August, when I got my thumb out of my arse and got an appointment with a physio.

I saw her early September and she did some tests to see where and how it hurt. Ever since those tests I haven't been able to put any weight on that leg and have had to be on crutches. Based or the physio's tests she reckoned it was a cartilage damage and she gave me a referral for an MRI on October 1st. I went to have it done and they did an ordinary X-ray instead. It didn't show anything, so I went back to the physio. She did the same tests and came to the same conclusion: probable cartilage damage, MRI scan needed. So she gave me another referral for an MRI, which was a few days later changed by another doctor to a referral to the orthopedic unit. In late October I then received a letter from the orthopediic unit saying there was a waiting time of 4 months to see an orthopedic physician.

It's been getting worse (I guess because my muscles aren't getting enough stimulation and thus don't provide the joint with stability. I also at one point fell and landed on the bad knee.) to the point of keeping me from falling asleep, and I've been on to the hospital to get an earlier appointment and I finally got one for December 16th. They called me up 30 minutes before the appointment to cancel, because the doctor had gone on his holidays and won't be back until January 17th.

I'm not gonna wait until then, so I'm going private for the scan, which can then be sent to the orthopedic unit to base any actions on. With it being Christmas though the first date even they'll see me is January 2nd, which I'll take.

As for a pop or a snap and swelling - At different times between now and April there have been creaks and the knee has sometimes been rigid when bending it. But at the time of the initial incident there was no pop or snap as far as I can recall (it's hard to know as I was asleep when it happened, but certainly nothing when I finally got it out of the angle it was in). At no point, from the initial incident to now, have I noticed any swelling.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:29:24 pm by mbroon »

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 03:30:25 pm »
Popping or snapping is a clinical sign of ACL tears mate, along with immediate swelling because the ACL has it's own synovial sheath. You can rule that out. You're knee is locking and is getting worse over time so I'm inclined to agree with the diagnosis your physio has already given you of cartilage damage. If you want to do some quad exercises to help strengthening or maintain the strength of your knee at the moment I'd do the static quads and inner range quads exercises that I've posted above. Also, if you've lost range of movement in your knee then the static quads will help but put your legs on a stool with nothing underneath your knee while you're watching tv and let gravity do it's work to straighten it out. Every ad break move your knee to stop it being too sore for you.

Importantly though if you're in pain then ice is your friend. Lots of it! Don't put the ice directly onto your skin though, always have some damp paper towels over the ice and have the ice in a bag. Place it on your knee in a position where it'll have as much exposure to your knee as possible and leave it there for no more than 20 minutes. Check it the first few times to see if your skin is getting an ice burn (white patches amongst the redness the ice will cause) and if it is remove immediately. Finally, only ice if your skin around your knee can differentiate between hot and cold.

Offline mbroon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 05:47:07 pm »
Thanks a lot for the advice. I've been doing those exercises as the physio recommended it, but I've not done them as often as I should I admit. During the winter break I'll have no excuse not to, and I'll try the ice as well. That's not been mentioned to me so far the physio or anyone else, but they've been happy to prescribe strong painkillers. It's nice to have something else than pills to try.

Offline mbroon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 9, 2014, 01:51:22 pm »
I've finally had it diagnosed. It took from September to January just to get an MR, which has now shown I have a 'severe case of medial plica syndrome'. The plica itself is apparently quite a minor issue, but it's been pushing against my ligaments and caused some cartilage damage. I've had an arthroscopy scheduled to remove the plica and clean up the cartilage and then some rehabbing, and I've been told I should be walking by the end of March and running by June which is good to hear. Since hearing that though I've been robbed and beaten which has made the knee worse, just hope that doesn't change things.

7 months on crutches - it's gonna be fucking good to get rid of them.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »

OK just posted this in the fat bastard thread but felt it may be of help to post here as well. If anyone has any ideas of the best way to get back to full fitness ASAP Ill be most appreciative.

Just a few years ago I was a very healthy 77kgs. Was very proud of the fact that I never lost a race for the ball. One bad tackle from a dirty little bastard changed all that in an instant. Had 9 fractures in my foot, collapsed the arch, dislocated bones in my foot, ripped the tendons from the bone and tore the ligaments. Needless to say I needed surgery, actually multiple surgeries to fix it. Meant a season away from the game but not only that it has now been almost 2 years since Ive played any serious sport. The worst part was my diet was pretty poor and I ended up being about 100kgs. I was getting back on track last year. Hired a personal trainer and was going to the gym twice a day. Was dropping weight but still wasnt able to run properly. Had a "fuck it' moment and decided I dont care about the pain Im going to push through it as I need to get running again so I can get fit. Pushed myself so much I couldnt walk and ended up in hospital. They took an xray on my leg as there was serious 'swelling' that turned out to be a massive lump in the bone. Then came all the tests as they thought I had cancer in my leg. Luckily I was cleared of that but have a condition that it called fibrous dysplasia. So basically it means Im stuck with a lump in my leg and just have to deal. They were able to operate on it a bit which meant a 3rd surgery in 2 years which has helped and alleviated some of the pain from my running.
So I can now run again but have to be careful not to overdo myself or Ill put myself out for a few weeks, I have joined another football team and train when I can with them and hoping to get maybe a game or 2 at the end of the season and push on for next year. Been playing Touch Rugby too to try get fitness back and am back at the gym. I think my biggest challenge though is dropping the weight Ive put on in this time. So Im starting with clean eating and being accountable and hopefully shed a few kgs. The goal is to get back down to 80kg. Id like to drop it by end of June if possible. So heres the start of getting back on to my fitness and hoping I can retire from football on my own terms.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 04:18:17 pm »
Lots of non/low impact stuff mate. Exercise bike, cycling, swimming, cross trainer and the weight will drop off. Pretty much anything that doesn't put loads of pressure through your foot.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:10 pm »
anyone had any experience was planter faschititis

basically you pull the long muscle along the base of your foot

I wearing insoles to take the weight of that section of foot

walking around is a mild irritant, but any kinds of real sport leaves me pretty much hobbling at the end and then elevated pain for several days

ive had it about a year now and it just doesnt want to go away