Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 631473 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: Marvel Musings. Now with Endgame Spoilers.
« Reply #6440 on: May 4, 2021, 01:00:37 pm »
They're a mixed bag.  Absolutely try out these ones:

- First and third seasons of Daredevil
- First half of the first season of Luke Cage
- First season of the Punisher
- First season of Jessica Jones

The Defenders is decent, but better if you've watched a bit of everything else.  Don't go near Iron Fist.

If you're just recommending a single series (or half series!) with the implication that subsequent series are a bit rubbish (apart from Daredevil) then I'm not super keen to give them a go. I've heard a lot of people criticise the Netflix shows for the later series.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6441 on: May 4, 2021, 01:01:28 pm »

If you're just recommending a single series (or half series!) with the implication that subsequent series are a bit rubbish (apart from Daredevil) then I'm not super keen to give them a go. I've heard a lot of people criticise the Netflix shows for the later series.

I think that's fair.  Daredevil has a ropey second season, but definitely try the first if you're going to look at any from the Netflix catalogue.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6442 on: May 4, 2021, 02:19:51 pm »
I think that's fair.  Daredevil has a ropey second season, but definitely try the first if you're going to look at any from the Netflix catalogue.

Cheers  :thumbup
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6443 on: May 4, 2021, 02:52:04 pm »
The first half of Daredevil's second season (the Punisher arc) is great IMO.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6444 on: May 4, 2021, 02:52:52 pm »
The first half of Daredevil's second season (the Punisher arc) is great IMO.

Oh yeah, that's true actually.  It's just the Elektra stuff that drags it down.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6445 on: May 4, 2021, 07:51:58 pm »
I thought S1 of Jessica was brilliant. She plays the part really well, and Tennant absolutely owns it as the baddie
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6446 on: May 4, 2021, 08:07:47 pm »

I enjoyed her story.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6447 on: May 4, 2021, 10:23:38 pm »
I loved Daredevil personally. I thought it was great. Jessica Jones was good to start with, but dragged on a bit. Iron Fist was utter shit.

So, anyway, getting a tattoo in July on my Guardians leg, as I call it now, the other leg being my Thrones leg. Getting Yondu, Nebula or Gamora. I've got three months to find a suitable image, only for my tattooist to find a better one for me. Only two years until the next installment as well.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6448 on: May 4, 2021, 11:16:38 pm »
Don't forget there's The Guardians of The Galaxy Holiday Special in December 2022 as well.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6449 on: May 5, 2021, 12:24:14 pm »
I loved Daredevil personally. I thought it was great. Jessica Jones was good to start with, but dragged on a bit. Iron Fist was utter shit.

So, anyway, getting a tattoo in July on my Guardians leg, as I call it now, the other leg being my Thrones leg. Getting Yondu, Nebula or Gamora. I've got three months to find a suitable image, only for my tattooist to find a better one for me. Only two years until the next installment as well.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #6450 on: May 5, 2021, 12:27:09 pm »
We watched the first episode of Falcon and the Winter Soldier last night. Was alright, decent enough that we'll probably stick the second one on tonight and give it a chance. Nothing outstanding about it as of yet, though a decent enough action sequence at the start.

Am I right in thinking that the one bad guy who
Spoiler
survived the helicopter crashes/explosions in the extraction mission was Batroc the Leaper? Why's he so shit in the cinematic universe?
[close]
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #6451 on: May 5, 2021, 12:56:24 pm »

That and the endless amount of Ninjas, just became a bit silly. Would have benefitted from a shorter season with a longer Punisher arc.

Season 3 is such a huge step up, so annoyed they cancelled it - though Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock is rumored to be in the new Spidey movie.

:D

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6452 on: May 5, 2021, 01:56:55 pm »
That and the endless amount of Ninjas, just became a bit silly. Would have benefitted from a shorter season with a longer Punisher arc.

Season 3 is such a huge step up, so annoyed they cancelled it - though Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock is rumored to be in the new Spidey movie.

Yeah I remember at the time of the Netflix shows coming out that Netflix seemed obsessed with having 13 or so episodes per season, Luke Cage dragged hard towards the end because of it.

I enjoyed a ton of the Netflix shows, even Iron Fist was enjoyable in my opinion and got slated more than necessary because of the high standards of the shows that came before it, and because it became the twitter angry topic of the month due to the cultural appropriation aspect of it. That's not to say it was great, and I haven't rewatched it so it's possible it was actually terrible, but I remember it being entertaining enough.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2021, 02:00:14 pm by Schmidt »

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6453 on: May 5, 2021, 04:57:27 pm »
Yeah I remember at the time of the Netflix shows coming out that Netflix seemed obsessed with having 13 or so episodes per season, Luke Cage dragged hard towards the end because of it.

I enjoyed a ton of the Netflix shows, even Iron Fist was enjoyable in my opinion and got slated more than necessary because of the high standards of the shows that came before it, and because it became the twitter angry topic of the month due to the cultural appropriation aspect of it. That's not to say it was great, and I haven't rewatched it so it's possible it was actually terrible, but I remember it being entertaining enough.

I always found that the drag with the Netflix shows tended to be mid-season lulls of 2-3 eps before they recovered strongly for the finale, they should have started out with a baseline of 8 eps, but given the show runners the flexibility to plan for a few more eps if necessary, rather than defaulting to 13 for every season.

Unless somebody actively dislikes the characters or marvel stuff in general then personally I'd give them all a watch, even if some seasons (such as most of Iron Fist) are weaker than others they are still enjoyable, S1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones being my favourites. As far as Iron Fist, it is slightly annoying that the most interesting part of it was the point where it ended, there was plenty of potential.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6454 on: May 7, 2021, 04:19:19 am »
Having now finished this, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I believe this is the MCU's weakest offerings, easily. In fact, it was flat out bad. Embarrassing even. Iron Man 2 was orders of magnitude better, and that was also a turd.

Spoiler
It feels very much like a project that's first and foremost interested in having a justification for why a Black supporting character gets to be Captain America, because just handing him the shield was too abrupt. Everything else about it has tacked on, going as far as making some huge, meaningless statements about our common humanity with reference to the refugee crisis.

To be sure, there was a good opportunity here. There's absolutely an excellent story to be told in handing over Cap's mantle to a Black man. And it would have been incredibly timely, too. But it was told so poorly that it irritated me more than anything else.

I actually hated how it used the refugee crisis as an opportunity to flaunt the universality of Captain America's inherent goodness and values. It's so blatant and hamfisted. Completely lacking in any self-awareness.
[close]

I agree with all of the politics, but it comes across as so preachy and clumsy that I wonder if the creative team behind the show actually have anything near a firm grasp of the issues themselves.

Spoiler
What was the deal with the whole massive waste of time that was the Delacroix subplot? Was the whole point of it that the bloody fishing boat was an unalienable part of their African American identity? How limp was the Isaiah subplot? Is the key struggle that Sam needed to overcome really how the US military treated Black soldiers? Or is it actually something far more complex and deserving of some actual thought?
[close]

As I said earlier, I think a full 10-13 episode season would have given a bit more space for some of these issues to breathe. Or as someone else said, condense it into a 2 hour movie (in which case probably actually get rid of a lot of the bizarre subplots). Either way, what we got was atrocious.

Spoiler
The execution is actually so poor that I feel like the show even fails in its most basic objective, to give 'Black Falcon' credence as Captain America going forward. Don't get me wrong - I get that Captain America is meant to stand for something more, and more universal now, but they could have done just as much just giving that to me in a talking point.

It'll be interesting now to see how they follow through the character's development in future Marvel products. Now that we have a Black Captain America, will he get his own movie? Or will he be relegated to the same treatment as Daredevil and Agents of SHIELD? If we get a movie, what would the focus of the movie be? Have Marvel now addressed racial injustice in America once and for all?
[close]

Imma stop typing now because I realise the more I think about it, the more it's actually pissing me off.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6455 on: May 7, 2021, 09:20:16 am »
Having now finished this, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I believe this is the MCU's weakest offerings, easily. In fact, it was flat out bad. Embarrassing even. Iron Man 2 was orders of magnitude better, and that was also a turd.

Spoiler
It feels very much like a project that's first and foremost interested in having a justification for why a Black supporting character gets to be Captain America, because just handing him the shield was too abrupt. Everything else about it has tacked on, going as far as making some huge, meaningless statements about our common humanity with reference to the refugee crisis.

To be sure, there was a good opportunity here. There's absolutely an excellent story to be told in handing over Cap's mantle to a Black man. And it would have been incredibly timely, too. But it was told so poorly that it irritated me more than anything else.

I actually hated how it used the refugee crisis as an opportunity to flaunt the universality of Captain America's inherent goodness and values. It's so blatant and hamfisted. Completely lacking in any self-awareness.
[close]

I agree with all of the politics, but it comes across as so preachy and clumsy that I wonder if the creative team behind the show actually have anything near a firm grasp of the issues themselves.

Spoiler
What was the deal with the whole massive waste of time that was the Delacroix subplot? Was the whole point of it that the bloody fishing boat was an unalienable part of their African American identity? How limp was the Isaiah subplot? Is the key struggle that Sam needed to overcome really how the US military treated Black soldiers? Or is it actually something far more complex and deserving of some actual thought?
[close]

As I said earlier, I think a full 10-13 episode season would have given a bit more space for some of these issues to breathe. Or as someone else said, condense it into a 2 hour movie (in which case probably actually get rid of a lot of the bizarre subplots). Either way, what we got was atrocious.

Spoiler
The execution is actually so poor that I feel like the show even fails in its most basic objective, to give 'Black Falcon' credence as Captain America going forward. Don't get me wrong - I get that Captain America is meant to stand for something more, and more universal now, but they could have done just as much just giving that to me in a talking point.

It'll be interesting now to see how they follow through the character's development in future Marvel products. Now that we have a Black Captain America, will he get his own movie? Or will he be relegated to the same treatment as Daredevil and Agents of SHIELD? If we get a movie, what would the focus of the movie be? Have Marvel now addressed racial injustice in America once and for all?
[close]

Imma stop typing now because I realise the more I think about it, the more it's actually pissing me off.

It really felt like 5/6 people brought average ideas to the table about what to do with storyline and instead of rejecting all of them and demanding a 1 good storyline they just complied 6 average attempts into 1.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #6456 on: May 11, 2021, 07:07:42 pm »
New Venom trailer, looks fun.

Good to see Stephen Graham getting more roles, one of the best actors we have.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-ezfi6FQ8Ds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-ezfi6FQ8Ds</a>
:D

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #6457 on: May 12, 2021, 01:46:52 am »
Full disclaimer; I didn’t like the first one one from the first trailer onwards to seeing the actual film. This looks even worse.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6458 on: May 12, 2021, 12:24:32 pm »
New Venom trailer, looks fun.

Good to see Stephen Graham getting more roles, one of the best actors we have.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-ezfi6FQ8Ds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-ezfi6FQ8Ds</a>

Looks horrific. The first films CGI resembled a PS2 game.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6459 on: May 12, 2021, 12:26:22 pm »
The first one was stupid but mostly fun, this looks more of the same.  One of those movies I'll watch at some point but won't pay to watch.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6460 on: May 12, 2021, 12:27:27 pm »
Why have they turned Venom into some sort of light hearted comedian? He should be a nasty horrible bastard.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6461 on: May 12, 2021, 12:33:41 pm »
Why have they turned Venom into some sort of light hearted comedian? He should be a nasty horrible bastard.

Venom has changed quite a bit over the past 10 years or so in the comics.  Not a straight up murder machine anymore.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6462 on: May 12, 2021, 12:35:04 pm »
I watched the first one under the banner of 'its shit but good fun' and only one part of that was true....and its still the best iteration of Venom in movies so far :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #6463 on: May 16, 2021, 08:06:12 pm »
MODOK is coming out this Friday, every episode in one go. Not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but handy to fill this small Marvel void.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6464 on: May 17, 2021, 09:53:29 am »
MODOK is coming out this Friday, every episode in one go. Not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but handy to fill this small Marvel void.

As in the villain Modok? Where is it released?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6465 on: May 17, 2021, 10:04:31 am »
As in the villain Modok? Where is it released?

Disney+.

I'm hoping it can be a bit like a Marvel version of Harley Quinn, which is truly brilliant animated comedy.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6466 on: May 17, 2021, 11:11:24 am »
Ah haven't seen anything about that! Is it animated?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6467 on: May 17, 2021, 11:39:45 am »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #6468 on: May 17, 2021, 12:23:37 pm »
Robot Chicken meets Marvel then?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6469 on: May 17, 2021, 08:37:36 pm »
The first one was stupid but mostly fun, this looks more of the same.  One of those movies I'll watch at some point but won't pay to watch.

looks like dealing with the world's worst flat-mate. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #6470 on: May 22, 2021, 11:28:07 am »
Watched the first MODOK episode this morning (may have been at like 2am cos I can't sleep due to being so buzzed for being at Anfield on Sunday) and I was pleasantly surprised.

It isn't likely to go down in history as some great award winning masterpiece but it had decent humour, from reading some episode descriptions it looks like it will be serialised rather than fully episodic.

Feels almost like the Marvel version of Star Trek: Lower Decks in that it isn't played as straight as the live action stuff but is faithful still to what has gone before and has plenty of easter eggs too.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6471 on: May 24, 2021, 02:38:10 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0WVDKZJkGlY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0WVDKZJkGlY</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6472 on: May 24, 2021, 02:47:24 pm »
Certainly looks different to other Marvel fare. Hard to grasp what the actual plot is, but I'm guessing the focus is the relationship between Madden and Chan? It does feel weird seeing both Richard Madden and Kit Harington making their Marvel debuts together...

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6473 on: May 24, 2021, 02:56:27 pm »
Certainly looks different to other Marvel fare. Hard to grasp what the actual plot is, but I'm guessing the focus is the relationship between Madden and Chan? It does feel weird seeing both Richard Madden and Kit Harington making their Marvel debuts together...

I didn't realise it was a film, I thought it was a TV series
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6474 on: May 24, 2021, 03:09:51 pm »
Of course they made Kumail Nanjiani dance in a Bollywood setting :lmao
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6475 on: May 24, 2021, 03:11:36 pm »
That looks fairly uninteresting at the moment but I reckon they're holding back a whole bunch of nutty stuff.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6476 on: May 24, 2021, 03:18:20 pm »
Could've done without the shoehorned Avengers reference but other than that it looks suitably interesting.  I hope the reason for not getting involved with fighting Thanos is better than "we don't interfere" though.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6477 on: May 24, 2021, 04:14:23 pm »
Could've done without the shoehorned Avengers reference but other than that it looks suitably interesting.  I hope the reason for not getting involved with fighting Thanos is better than "we don't interfere" though.

Or, you know, Hitler  ;D
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6478 on: May 24, 2021, 04:26:08 pm »
Most interesting part in the trailer was the Avengers question.

They'll be another 2-3 trailers before release, so we can gauge what it's about somewhat.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6479 on: May 24, 2021, 07:29:53 pm »
Of course they made Kumail Nanjiani dance in a Bollywood setting :lmao

Apparently his cover story in modern day earth is being a Bollywood star.

Yeah it is a bit iffy having your first major Indian hero in the MCU Bollywood dancing.