Author Topic: Boxing - Train With Mirra  (Read 10678 times)

Pheeny

Boxing - Train With Mirra
« on: September 28, 2012, 04:29:55 pm »
not a thread to discuss "boxing" but more about the training...
« Last Edit: February 9, 2013, 07:43:01 pm by Pheeny »

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing - Training
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2012, 01:11:07 pm »
I'm getting into it slowly. Got great speed and power but lacking accuracy. Just me and my mate doing a bit of punching practise with pair of gloves and focus mitts. Non-stop ppercuts for 1 minute straight. 20second breather. Another full minute doing left and right hooks. 20 secOnd breather. Full minute doing light combinations and ducking practise.

Pheeny

« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2012, 02:02:30 pm »
you do any skipping?

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »
Not at the moment, maybe in a few weeks once I've honed my skills

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #4 on: October 6, 2012, 08:39:56 am »
Are you just doing it for the fitness or are you looking to eventually fight?

If you want to improve your accuracy, you should use the double end bag and the speedbag rather than a heavy bag. You have to be able to time your punch to work with the bag, if you hit it as its coming towards you, you'll hit it properly even if theres not much power in your punch, if you hit it hard but at the wrong time when its moving away it wont do much. Its not about power dont forget that, its about timing and accuracy. Doesnt matter how hard you hit when it comes to these two, if you hit the bag at the wrong time in the wrong place the power will go off to the sides. It looks easy but it isnt, give it a try.

Ive started training again and training a few young lads at my mates gym, dont think there is anything better for getting fit than boxing to be honest!
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 9, 2012, 09:34:51 am »
I'm just doing it for general fitness to be honest, and for sparring with mates.

I've tried the double end bag it really is tricky. I'm just taking it slowly at the moment then eventually increasing speed on it. Saw a video of Roy Jones Jr doing it, lightning fast hands! Obviously wont get to that level but I want to go full speed for atleast 30 seconds with no misses.

Also doing a few kicks with the shield guard. Getting in some decent workouts. Hoping to get into some MMA conditioning classes at the local gym soon

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 9, 2012, 10:02:40 am »
You'll get there if you keep at it, dont worry! I remember the first time I tried it, I was only a kid but I was pissed off because I couldnt do it :D Its a lot harder than it looks. I always say to people if they are having trouble with it but are eager to get in the ring and spar, if your having trouble hitting that, what you going to be like with a real live person whos going to hit you back? Its all done for a reason!

Anyway good luck with it all, if you need any help/advice give me a shout mate and if I cant help you I'll know someone who can!

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #7 on: October 9, 2012, 01:02:04 pm »
Not at the moment, maybe in a few weeks once I've honed my skills
do the skipping lad, 5 minutes of that at least should be your warm up. it's a rhythm generator ;)
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 9, 2012, 02:54:03 pm »
My daughter and her mates are amazed that I can skip, better than them :D

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #9 on: October 9, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »
My daughter and her mates are amazed that I can skip, better than them :D
do you scare them when you go full power rocky style
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 9, 2012, 05:38:32 pm »
Haha few cross overs and they think im a God! :D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 05:30:16 pm »
I'm thinking about getting into it, join my Uni's society. I'm in pretty good shape already, so it'd be about the technique. No idea how to box so I'd be starting from the most basic point I guess.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 05:26:56 pm »
I got into boxing last year until my elbow started to really hurt and I quit for a while and am trying to get back into it.
I joined a boxing gym for a while and learnt the basic foot and punch work and bought a bag at home.

For a good 30 minute work out I would put on a t shirt and a sweat shirt, put a boxing app on my phone for the round times and rest times, put on some headphones so I could have the music nice and loud and then just go at it.

I found it great for the basic repetition of punching and foot movement and to get good shoulder and arm strength. Heart and lungs and sweating like crazy were also great.

Offline LFC_BASH

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Re: Boxing - Training
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 06:05:04 pm »
dont think there is anything better for getting fit than boxing to be honest!

Totally agree.

Also boxing gyms tend to be a whole lot cheaper than the larger fitness gyms.

Used to play loads of footie a few years back until a mate became a boxing coach, went along & pretty much ditched my gym membership & footie & got all my cardio etc from boxing.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 07:18:56 pm »
An update, earlier on in the thread I said I was looking to get into it. Still am! Will be joining the society in January, had a bit too much work this term to take it up as well as footy. I really do want to give it a go. No idea whether I'd be any good. I'm agile but probably lack punch power. Looking forward to it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 12:57:22 am »
Question probably mostly aimed at our boxing guru Mirra.

I'm 28, do a lot of weight training, pretty strong with decent reflexes and a student of the sport. Also got a decent chin going by the lickings I've taken in my late teens! My cardio needs work as I am no longer the running machine of 8 years ago though.

How would you advise me to go about getting into the sport. I've done very little boxing training and realise I'm probably too old to be taking it up seriously. I'm a hard trainer and disciplined but is it even feasible to get involved at an amateur level at my age?

I'm not looking to rip up any trees or win a regional title, I just want to test myself and see what I'm capable of.

I think what I'm asking is if it is even worth aiming to have an amateur fight with a realistic hope of doing ok or whether to stick to the fitness side of things and leave it to the younger lads. I'd like to think I could give a good account of myself, with training behind me, but I'd hate to be a Freddie flintoff and have people laugh at me (no matter how hard I've worked).

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 11:33:24 am »
Question probably mostly aimed at our boxing guru Mirra.

I'm 28, do a lot of weight training, pretty strong with decent reflexes and a student of the sport. Also got a decent chin going by the lickings I've taken in my late teens! My cardio needs work as I am no longer the running machine of 8 years ago though.

How would you advise me to go about getting into the sport. I've done very little boxing training and realise I'm probably too old to be taking it up seriously. I'm a hard trainer and disciplined but is it even feasible to get involved at an amateur level at my age?

I'm not looking to rip up any trees or win a regional title, I just want to test myself and see what I'm capable of.

I think what I'm asking is if it is even worth aiming to have an amateur fight with a realistic hope of doing ok or whether to stick to the fitness side of things and leave it to the younger lads. I'd like to think I could give a good account of myself, with training behind me, but I'd hate to be a Freddie flintoff and have people laugh at me (no matter how hard I've worked).

Best thing for you to do mate is go to your local boxing gym and talk to whoever is in charge there, they'll point you in the right direction, help you reach where you want to be. Its never too late to start as an amatuer, got a mate who had his first amatuer fight a few months ago and hes 28, he only started when he was 27 like, had to lose a load of weight before he could get started properly. How old are you by the way?

The people at the gym you choose will work with you and make sure you have everything you need to have before they put you in a ring, make sure your throwing your punches properly, your footwork etc, fitness, know how to defend yourself and when they think you are ready they'll let you in the ring. The gym I go to, we do all this before we even let people spar, because theres a lot of guys at our gym who could really hurt you because most of us have been doing it all our lives, so we need to make sure everyone knows how to handle themselves in a ring before they even spar with some of the more experienced guys.

Dont worry about anyone laughing at you either, nobody will mate. The more experienced will help you out and respect what your doing. Peoples problem with Flintoff is and was, how he quit cricket, and then came into boxing and was getting all this attention when theres people who kill themselves in the gym for years and dont even get a tenth of the attention he has had. It seemed to us like he was treating our sport as a joke and thats why so many people got on his back. Nobody will do that with you though. Hope that helps mate, whereabouts are you in the country? Liverpool?

Offline trenchtownrasta

• fairy anne
  • Kopite
  • you may say I'm a dreamer,but I'm not the only one
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2013, 12:28:34 am »
Good work guys, you've successfully motivated me to take up boxing I'm off to train on monday afternoon.
'Say what you like about deaf people'.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #18 on: January 8, 2013, 02:40:32 pm »
I'm seriously considering taking it up.

Purely as a source of fitness training and to first get in, then stay in decent shape.
If the opportunity to fight came up id do itl.

In all reality itll be about a week before i source where i can do it, will one of my mates join too etc.

Can anyone recommend methods, any training i can do on my own before i start it fully?

I'm not the lightest in the wold by any stretch and i've the mobility of a pregnant cow that's been tipped over so skipping isnt really a strong point.

Or can anyone recommend any strict diets to stick by so i can keep on the straight and narrow and hit the ground running.?

Offline klobutruck33

• Anny Roader
  • MELLORRRRRR!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 10:54:34 am »
I did some classes at a boxing gym a few year's ago but work and study took up most of my time that I couldn't commit to boxing at the time.

I just started up again on Wednesday night, it was tough and my footwork really sucked but dammit I couldn't get enough of it. Will I get to competitive level? Who knows but I know I want to work my arse off and give it my best shot.

I'm a south paw and the only female in the boxing classes so I'm looking forward to learning from the more experienced guys.

The bonus thing is it'll help me with the other sport I play roller derby.
He's only on loan,
he's only on loannnn,
Rafa Benitez,
he'll be coming back home!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 08:46:31 pm »
I'm seriously considering taking it up.

Purely as a source of fitness training and to first get in, then stay in decent shape.
If the opportunity to fight came up id do itl.

In all reality itll be about a week before i source where i can do it, will one of my mates join too etc.

Can anyone recommend methods, any training i can do on my own before i start it fully?

I'm not the lightest in the wold by any stretch and i've the mobility of a pregnant cow that's been tipped over so skipping isnt really a strong point.

Or can anyone recommend any strict diets to stick by so i can keep on the straight and narrow and hit the ground running.?

Running mate, are you carrying much fat on you? Think Running is the best thing for stripping that off you (in my opinion anyway, I hate running but it works) circut training, skipping even though you said it isnt your strong point, press ups, sit ups, burpees, all of this is great to build up your stamina which is the most important thing because without it your going nowhere.

As for your diet, when I was seriously training I ate nothing but chicken, fish, steaks, eggs etc. Plenty of protein for now, get some of the weight stripped off you (apologies if your not overweight) but everyones body type is different. When your at your ideal weight etc, you'll want plenty protein and carbs.

I did some classes at a boxing gym a few year's ago but work and study took up most of my time that I couldn't commit to boxing at the time.

I just started up again on Wednesday night, it was tough and my footwork really sucked but dammit I couldn't get enough of it. Will I get to competitive level? Who knows but I know I want to work my arse off and give it my best shot.

I'm a south paw and the only female in the boxing classes so I'm looking forward to learning from the more experienced guys.

The bonus thing is it'll help me with the other sport I play roller derby.

Good for you, the footwork will come to you eventually, its just about practicing, practice it whenever you can, its all just about shifting weight and staying balanced, once you understand it (and you will by doing it often enough) it really isnt that difficult.

A Southpaw as well, theres many tricks you can use as a lefty that you'll pick up with experience, people hate to fight southpaws, punches come from places your not used to. Good luck though, hope you get to the level you want!

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:38 am »
Running mate, are you carrying much fat on you? Think Running is the best thing for stripping that off you (in my opinion anyway, I hate running but it works) circut training, skipping even though you said it isnt your strong point, press ups, sit ups, burpees, all of this is great to build up your stamina which is the most important thing because without it your going nowhere.

As for your diet, when I was seriously training I ate nothing but chicken, fish, steaks, eggs etc. Plenty of protein for now, get some of the weight stripped off you (apologies if your not overweight) but everyones body type is different. When your at your ideal weight etc, you'll want plenty protein and carbs.

Cheers for the advice Mirra

I'm about 6"2 and was 15st 10 when i weighed myself this morning. so there is a bit there i want to shift get down to around 11 Stone or so.

I'll start increasing the levels of running/cardio in the gym, get a routine of sit ups/press ups going at home and focus on the protiens.

Thanks again Mate

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 09:01:44 pm »
Quality Bobby, quality.

Footwork is the most important thing, think it was Ray Robinson who said boxing is very simple, all you have to do is keep your opponent off balance and hes hopeless or words to taht effect. Footwork is the most important thing in the ring. Brilliant from Bobby.

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: February 6, 2013, 11:35:52 am »
This is a great thread. I'm thinking of implementing some heavy bag work into my gym sessions after my weight lifting as a form of cardio. Won't start this till June however. Whats the best way to go about it as I don't wana just hit the bag like a plum and injure myself  ;D

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 6, 2013, 08:56:30 pm »
This is a great thread. I'm thinking of implementing some heavy bag work into my gym sessions after my weight lifting as a form of cardio. Won't start this till June however. Whats the best way to go about it as I don't wana just hit the bag like a plum and injure myself  ;D

First of all mate id learn to wrap your hands properly just to be on the safe side. Handwraps will reduce chances of you hurting yourself, theres many videos on the likes of youtube that can show you how to wrap your hands better than I could describe it! Much easier to see it and copy the steps. Just make sure it isnt too tight, you'll know when it is because it wont feel comfortable and could cut off your circulation. If done rightly though your hands and wrists will feel compact because the bones and tendons are held together tightly. Wear gloves/bag mitts as well when hitting the bag.

As for hitting the bag itself, make sure you know how to throw a punch properly or you may well learn the hard way by hurting yourself. The key to it is to time your punches to hit the bag as it swings towards you to stop the bag dead. Best way to not get hurt id say, boxing is all about timing, see JMM's KO of Pacquiao for the perfect example, he timed Pacquiao's coming towards him with the perfect shot and therefore it was more powerful because you add your opponents mass to the punch. Boom, your out! Its like the speedbag, you have to time it coming towards you and hit it at the right time or its going to move to the side, for it to go straight you have to time it and hit the sweet spot. Very important timing is.  Work on the timing. Id also move inbeetween punches, move around so your not standing still in the same spot. Move always, even when your resting. Plant your feet when your going to throw a punch as well, make sure you plant them to get more power, if your finding it hard to plant your feet after moving around take smaller steps as you move around.

Dont throw single punches either, throw beetween 3 to 6 punches is the rule ive always been taught with, ive always had someone shouting at me that fights are fought in combinations, not single shots. Mix them up as well your combos and dont pose after them, a lot of people do this, they throw a combination then admire their work. In a fight they'd get sparked.

Biggest thing I can reccomend to you though is to learn how to breathe because thats where endurance comes from Inhale slowly through the nose, then exhale quickly through the mouth in short bursts (one burst for every fast movement—punch, slip, dash, etc) that'll keep you from being tired out. Endurance comes from good breathing, power comes from good technique.

Sorry dont know how serious your going to take it, but for anyone else wanting to hit the bag, this might be helpful. Bobby can probally put it in a better way than I can as im not too good as explaining things!

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: February 6, 2013, 11:27:12 pm »
Thanks a lot mate! Didn't expect such an in depth insightful response but I'm very grateful to you. I'm actually very serious about it but only from a conditioning perspective. I'll definitely follow all your advice and try to find some youtube videos as well. Maybe when my work life gets a bit more flexible I can join a boxing gym. Always had a huge respect for boxers. The most conditioned athletes in my opinion.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing - Train With Mirra
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 02:25:45 am »
Excellent advice Mirra and Bobby_D.

It just so happens that I've started introducing boxing routines into my workout, haven't looked back since.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 05:32:13 pm »
No bother Bobby, hope alls well mate!

About the handwraps, you can get something like this - http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/title-gel-world-fist-wraps.html I dont know how you will find them, Bobby do you use anything like these? I cant get used to them personally, im old school, prefer it done the old fashioned way! Im fussy about these things though!

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 07:23:43 pm »
lads what do you make to the bas rutten boxing cd's? 7 rounds x 3 mins, where he shouts out combo's to you?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 08:12:40 pm »
If your talking about just throwing the punches he shouts out for a work out then yeah, that'd be a good work out id say. Ive never tried them, but long as its high intensity it'll be good for you. Especially if your hitting a bag and you dont really know what to do and just lay into it. Could be worth a try yeah.

I normally have someone shouting out combos to me when im taking it seriously, things that im going to use in a fight. I spend a lot of time practising single shots as well, I know my best punches and have spent hours upon hours throwing them over and over again til I think its perfect.

Bobby, do you ever use knuckle guards? Those foam things with holes for your fingers?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 08:22:31 pm »
Ive heard of people doing that before mate! Ive never tried it myself though! Some interesting methods used out there, love to hear of them no matter how crazy they seem, especially the old school ones like Jack Dempsey chewing tobacco to strengthen his jaw etc, love to hear stories like that!

Big Joe Joyce soaks his hands in petrol! Dont know what that achieves but I wouldnt want to feel a smack off him!

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 01:08:21 pm »
thanks mirra,
bobby they are audio files used for heavy bag work.
I'm enjoying it, its hard though!! only thing is cant get my head around the footwork.
he shouts
"1" (left straight)
"2" (left straight plus right straight)
"3" (same as 2 plus left hook)
"4" (same as 3 plus right straight)
"Three hooks" (start with left)
"Three hooks -right uppercut"
"Left hook -right straight"
"Right straight -left hook"
"Right uppercut -left hook"

he says focus on 1 point on the bag whilst punching, i'm new to this so have just been getting used to throwing the punches, how do i manage my feet? should i step in and out??

Offline Sabbi yypia

• Too classy by far for this place
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 11:00:41 pm »
Can someone point me in the right direction of a decent stand up punchbag? I have boxed before but its been a while. If i dont find something to take my daily stresses out on im going to end up having a nervous breakdown so im looking for a bag to get myself started again?

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 5, 2013, 02:13:38 pm »
Haven't done much boxing training for a few months as I was suffering from an injury in my left hand (not what you think! ;)) but looking to get back into it now, been putting in some good shifts on the heavy bag. Anyone recommend some good drills, similar to interval training, to get my heart rate up a bit and really burn those calories? All I'm doing right now is throwing jabs, hooks and combos on the bag but nothing really with much substance

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 5, 2013, 02:23:24 pm »
Very, very tempted to actually start up. Think I said it earlier in the thread. Would definitely be interested in learning the basics. I'm already in good shape, so my fitness wouldn't prohibit me from starting up.

Pheeny

« Reply #35 on: November 5, 2013, 04:45:24 pm »
My lad was going to start doing boxing once or twice a week but he's been advised that he is too bulky (from body building) and he'd lose some of his muscles.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Pheeny

« Reply #36 on: November 5, 2013, 08:02:40 pm »
Hi Pheeny.  Just to make sure I'm on the same page, is the issue that your lad wants to keep his bulk from body building and is worried about losing muscle mass from boxing?
Indeed it is.

Pheeny

« Reply #37 on: November 5, 2013, 10:39:33 pm »
Cheers Bobby I'll pass that on to him.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 6, 2013, 09:42:28 am »
Are you working to 2min/3min rounds on the bag currently Joey?
Yeah that's all I''m doing at the moment. Six 3-minute rounds, and also some shadow boxing/skipping as warm-ups.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 6, 2013, 12:55:46 pm »
When you start training, do you spar with anyone or people of your size? I'm basically wondering how seriously weight categories are taken at amateur level if you just want to train and maybe participate in a few amateur fights? If the weight chart I found online is correct, I think I'd be a super welterweight. I'd quite like to test myself and see if I've got any aptitude/talent for it and any sort of hand-speed or punch power. It's not the sort of thing you can quantify when you've only ever fought in petty scraps on a night out.