Author Topic: Spirit of Shankly Q&A  (Read 299620 times)

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2010, 01:45:43 pm »
Has the advertising campaign produced many new members Paul?

Btw I saw a couple on Sunday before the game and they definately look the part.

Yes. Over 10% increase. But obviously we always want more members.

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2010, 03:50:26 pm »
As this thread has already dropped off the first page - some may have missed it:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=255843.0

And Paul, thanks for your reply - I'd missed it yesterday.  I agree about the leaflets to some extent - some will take, some don't want to know.  I think the difference for us elsewhere wanting to do this (vs leafletting around the ground) is that we've got a much smaller (and fairly captive) audience to deal with.   

You guys can't possibly corral 40K people either in a hurry to get to or leave the match - I can definitely corral 20 or more before they step out the door of the bar here in NYC or engage them outside with their ciggies or waiting to use the lavs.   One could do immediate followup to ask why they dropped the leaflet, what issues (if any) they have with the organization, try to answer any questions and of course, point them to the URL on the leaflet if not have forms available.  The followup is key - and it'd be easier in a lot of ways than it is for you guys trying to get the hoardes pre-/post-match to pay attention.

I personally would just have to make sure I don't go overboard and get kicked out of the bar permanently  (they should be so lucky!  :D ).

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2010, 03:55:59 pm »
As this thread has already dropped off the first page - some may have missed it:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=255843.0

And Paul, thanks for your reply - I'd missed it yesterday.  I agree about the leaflets to some extent - some will take, some don't want to know.  I think the difference for us elsewhere wanting to do this (vs leafletting around the ground) is that we've got a much smaller (and fairly captive) audience to deal with.   

You guys can't possibly corral 40K people either in a hurry to get to or leave the match - I can definitely corral 20 or more before they step out the door of the bar here in NYC or engage them outside with their ciggies or waiting to use the lavs.   One could do immediate followup to ask why they dropped the leaflet, what issues (if any) they have with the organization, try to answer any questions and of course, point them to the URL on the leaflet if not have forms available.  The followup is key - and it'd be easier in a lot of ways than it is for you guys trying to get the hoardes pre-/post-match to pay attention.

I personally would just have to make sure I don't go overboard and get kicked out of the bar permanently  (they should be so lucky!  :D ).

Yep. Will point you in the direction of Tommy our overseas officer. He can be contacted at overseas@spiritofshankly.com.

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2010, 04:27:05 pm »
Yep. Will point you in the direction of Tommy our overseas officer. He can be contacted at overseas@spiritofshankly.com.
Hence my comment about communication needing to be better - didn't want to call him out but have not found him to be very responsive....  But I see I have an email from Sam about the matter I raised with him so as long as it's not being ignored, that's ok.

And will be happy to get in touch with him re the FAQ.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:35:48 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2010, 04:39:55 pm »
Hence my comment about communication needing to be better - didn't want to call him out but have not found him to be very responsive....  But I see I have an email from Sam about the matter I raised with him so as long as it's not being ignored, that's ok.

And will be happy to get in touch with him re the FAQ.

Will speak to him and see where things are. There would be a bit of an overlap with various other committee members as well with things. Something like the FAQ if done (other than what is already on our site) would be done by more of us if needed. We are working on a few other things to spread the message as well, so your suggestions can hopefully be worked into them as well. If you were interested in setting up a local branch for instance then Tommy is there to help with liaising between various New York or American members about this, but Graham will be able to offer help in the actual finer details in setting something up.

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2010, 05:01:43 pm »
No, I definitely understand there is some overlap between the duties of various committee members - and I appreciate your spelling it out like this.  I don't want to bog down the thread with my particulars so will follow up with the relevant parties as needed - thanks again, Paul.

It does make me wish I was going to be over there for the end-of-season do, though!  A) because I enjoyed myself *way* too much the last time and B) I could ambush you all at once with ideas!   ;)

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2010, 05:08:38 pm »
No, I definitely understand there is some overlap between the duties of various committee members - and I appreciate your spelling it out like this.  I don't want to bog down the thread with my particulars so will follow up with the relevant parties as needed - thanks again, Paul.

It does make me wish I was going to be over there for the end-of-season do, though!  A) because I enjoyed myself *way* too much the last time and B) I could ambush you all at once with ideas!   ;)

If you want to pass anymore ideas past me then you can e-mail me at community@spiritofshankly.com if you want.

Offline rob5564

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2010, 07:08:35 pm »
If people can't be arsed to stump up a tenner to save the club they'll be about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Alan, I agree with your earlier post that paid membership means something and Im not disagreeing that a tenner is reasonable I was trying to suggest a method by which paid membership could be increased.  While I appreciate that membership is increasing and from that income admin fees need to be paid it is clear that the membership level is nowhere near what it should be.
 I dont doubt that there is a degree of apathy amongst the support but I dont believe that membership take up is (relatively speaking) low due to ignorance. There will be a considerable number of people who agree with the Unions aims who wont or cant commit to paying a tenner (as mentioned earlier this was demonstrated by MUST). This group might be prepared to make some form of financial commitment thereby increasing the number of members while generating some further funds that otherwise wouldnt exist. I guess the barometer for this will be the take up of free child membership by non member parents on behalf of their kids.
I wouldnt dismiss it out of hand on the basis that a tenner = worthwhile support otherwise dont bother. To people sitting at a computer in far flung areas of Britain / the world the ten or fifteen quid is essentially a donation to a cause that you support. People support all kinds of different charities (I know this isnt a charity) but my guess is that most dont drop ten or fifteen quid into a collection tin as they pass and therein lies the problem.
I hope Im not talking nonsense or being flippant I am hoping to make a helpful suggestion

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2010, 07:26:07 pm »
There will be a considerable number of people who agree with the Unions aims who wont or cant commit to paying a tenner (as mentioned earlier this was demonstrated by MUST).

Don't want to be flippant either mate, but it's a tenner. About 3p a day. You'd honestly have to be homeless if you couldn't afford £10. I'm unemployed, on the dole, back studying and haven't a pot to piss in but I can still manage my £10 renewal once a year. It's down to apathy or lack of awareness or any number of other reasons.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2010, 07:47:38 pm »
Facebook and Twitter in a way act as that second level of membership with nearly 23,000 on Facebook and increasing all the time.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2010, 08:14:10 pm »
Wouldn't quite say the other 95.5% are happy and with having meetings with Purslow and Ayre they know what we can do even if we are the minority. Despite being the minority though we are the biggest mobilised force against Hicks and Gillett. They are hoping our fanbase stays divided. We need to work together more and then we can achieve greater things.

I agree with the other 95.5, maybe  i should of worded it differently as in the other 95.5% join SOS or a large % then the power shifts.

I think you need an increase in numbers to at least double. Could you not target certian sections of anfield on match days to certian blocks or stands with flyers?
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2010, 08:47:58 pm »
I agree with the other 95.5, maybe  i should of worded it differently as in the other 95.5% join SOS or a large % then the power shifts.

I think you need an increase in numbers to at least double. Could you not target certian sections of anfield on match days to certian blocks or stands with flyers?

We can't hand out flyers inside the ground without permission. So we always hand them out outside the clubs gates. So can't really target a particular stand or block really. Do agree we need to increase numbers and that is something we are always want to work on and something we are always open to ideas on as well.

As i've said a few times though, probably the easiest way to double the numbers is every member being able to convince one other person that they should join.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »
As i've said a few times though, probably the easiest way to double the numbers is every member being able to convince one other person that they should join.
Would it be worth writing up a blurb that could be e-mailed out to members with insructions to copy and paste and send on to non-members in their contact list? Pretty easy to do and people are more likely to do it if it's something pre written.

Just something along the lines of aims of the union and appealing to those who are passionate about the future of the club.

Offline Spirit Of Shankly

• Anny Roader
  • www.spiritofshankly.com
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2010, 11:02:31 pm »
Would it be worth writing up a blurb that could be e-mailed out to members with insructions to copy and paste and send on to non-members in their contact list? Pretty easy to do and people are more likely to do it if it's something pre written.

Just something along the lines of aims of the union and appealing to those who are passionate about the future of the club.

Good idea. Will talk to others on the committee about it. Obviously have to give this e-mail campaign against Premier League to gather strength a bit first before putting something else out.
Join your Union Now online at www.spiritofshankly.com

Like SOS on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @spiritofshankly

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2010, 11:06:22 pm »
That was me above. Hadn't logged out of SOS account.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2010, 11:54:22 pm »

Connie,

Tommy and I are working upon translations of the website for various nationalities. I think we sometimes wrongly think of you guys as an extension of the UK fanbase more than you actually are.

I'd be happy for you to draft something to go on our website to represent US views and fans (on a USspecific section of the site) and why SOS should be a place of choice.

You have my email so let me know.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:57:04 pm by Graham Smith »
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #216 on: April 1, 2010, 04:58:05 pm »
Cant you use an SOS strap on all LFC forums with a link direct to your web site?

Only use RAWK and have flirted on other sites but a nice big SOS strap accross all forum sites cant do any harm? Make fans more aware.

Probably get slated for this but live 100 miles south of L4 and seen match day vists reduced due to weddings and babies as well as the PTS going up the shitta but i know of loads of other local reds that have probably never heard of SOS.

Presume you have targeted all nationwide supporters clubs. Maybe worth while getting stuff to them for when they renew yuou slip a flyer in or an email link as everything seems electronic these days?
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #217 on: April 1, 2010, 05:38:52 pm »
Expanding the strap idea on LFC foums, not sure how easy or expensive but most national newspapers all have there own direct link to every premiership team with pages of crap. Could you not advertise SOS on these pages?
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 1, 2010, 05:40:37 pm »
Cant you use an SOS strap on...
:o

haha, sorry

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #219 on: April 1, 2010, 07:27:42 pm »
Expanding the strap idea on LFC foums, not sure how easy or expensive but most national newspapers all have there own direct link to every Premier League team with pages of crap. Could you not advertise SOS on these pages?

Would be down to cost on that and its down to the individual forum whether they put a SOS link of some sort on their site.

Most supporter clubs were contacted at the very start of the Union I think, but most didn't reply. Most are scared that they will lose their tickets. We are developing some things though that could go out to more supporters clubs through our supporter liaison officers to help more.

Obviously though, this is where our members can play a part. If you are a member of a supporters club and feel you can help spread the message then get in touch and we can help out as much as we can, which could possibly see us coming to one of your supporter's clubs events if it was feasible and affordable to do so.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #220 on: April 1, 2010, 09:28:13 pm »
Surely its for the greater good? Would RAWK charge you for a SOS link on the front page?

I dont understand why people wont sign up? Its £10. Nothing! You guys are busting your balls for the sake of us all. I only joined yesterday. So sorry but all good now.

I am not a member of a supportes club but i know there used to be in Birmingam and Nottingham. I thought they would be right behind you?  Have you had any feed back as to why more people dont sign up?

Shite 1-1.
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #221 on: April 1, 2010, 10:26:09 pm »
Surely its for the greater good? Would RAWK charge you for a SOS link on the front page?

I dont understand why people wont sign up? Its £10. Nothing! You guys are busting your balls for the sake of us all. I only joined yesterday. So sorry but all good now.

I am not a member of a supportes club but i know there used to be in Birmingam and Nottingham. I thought they would be right behind you?  Have you had any feed back as to why more people dont sign up?

Shite 1-1.

RAWK do a lot for for us with Q&A's and other stuff. Down to each individual site as I said.

Individual reasons can be seen on every forum. Different varying extremes of answers, but I think there are a lot out there as shown by facebook group who support what we do, but aren't expressing reason for not joining or just haven't got round to it.

Just have to keep spreading the message and hopefully more will join up. The more of us working together the more we can achieve.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #222 on: April 5, 2010, 10:17:22 am »
Do Q&A sessions bring in a an additional increase in members?

Facebook maybe be handy but how many how may FB followers are members of SOS?

The general point i am trying to make is that SOS staps accross all LFC forum's and unofficial sites can only increase awareness and bump the numbers up, as the poster campaign did. I reckon its a decent idea to get your profile out there.

Is 4500 members in 2 years a satisfactory campaign?
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #223 on: April 5, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »
Do Q&A sessions bring in a an additional increase in members?

Facebook maybe be handy but how many how may FB followers are members of SOS?

The general point i am trying to make is that SOS staps accross all LFC forum's and unofficial sites can only increase awareness and bump the numbers up, as the poster campaign did. I reckon its a decent idea to get your profile out there.

Is 4500 members in 2 years a satisfactory campaign?

I think Q&A's do give an increase. Usually see a few people saying they will sign up, but there is no way of telling how much an increase it gives. Over 23,000 on Facebook and not all of the 4,500 members will be on Facebook, so there is a difference there in paid up members. Without them answering a question on Facebook as to why they don't want to pay to join then it is hard to tell the reason, but you keep on posting more things and putting things out there. That is all you can do.

Whether 4,500 is a good number after 2 years is hard to say. There is no direct comparison to make out there and obviously everyone would always want more. But we have 4,500 great members who have done a lot with being active and supporting the cause well so we can be pleased with that.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #224 on: April 5, 2010, 06:42:44 pm »
Well all i can say is good luck, but without getting yourself out there mainstream you will never increase numbers quick enough to have any serious threat to G&H or your short, medium and long term goals.

You need a 3 or 4 fold increase on your members to start rocking the boat enough to force someone to to jump or sink it.
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #225 on: April 5, 2010, 07:48:58 pm »
Well all i can say is good luck, but without getting yourself out there mainstream you will never increase numbers quick enough to have any serious threat to G&H or your short, medium and long term goals.

You need a 3 or 4 fold increase on your members to start rocking the boat enough to force someone to to jump or sink it.

That's what we are trying to do all the time with internet presence on forums, facebook, twitter, leaflets at games, billboards, getting in the press amongst other things. Members can help as well by spreading the word as well. All we can do is keep on working to spread the message.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2010, 01:12:40 pm »
Just renewed my membership.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2010, 01:14:17 pm »
I've noticed some people wearing a very attractive pin badge, representing the SoS logo.

Where can I get one from? Do they not come as part of the initial membership 'pack'?

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2010, 01:31:10 pm »
I've noticed some people wearing a very attractive pin badge, representing the SoS logo.

Where can I get one from? Do they not come as part of the initial membership 'pack'?
Yeah they come when you join up mate along with a little membership card.

I think the badge's are very fetching as well - thats why I wear mine ;)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 14, 2010, 01:39:34 pm »
Yeah they come when you join up mate along with a little membership card.
:sad Didn't receive mine - had the intro letter and another page of text, plus the (rather nice!) membership card.....

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2010, 01:51:40 pm »
:sad Didn't receive mine - had the intro letter and another page of text, plus the (rather nice!) membership card.....
Oh dear

I do remember mine taking a while to come through but then card/info/badge all came together.

I emailed them at: membership@spiritofshankly.com because it was taking a while for mine to come through so maybe try that.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2010, 03:38:30 pm »

E-mail Sam at membership@spiritofshankly.com.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2010, 03:40:55 pm »
Have done - cheers Paul and weebroalan! :wave

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #233 on: April 16, 2010, 02:13:27 pm »
Would I be right in saying that this is the time of year when most renewals come around? Anyway, have you considered offering renewal at a lower price to existing members if they get a new member to join up also? Say, £5 or £6 instead of the £10. Could work as a referral jobby (the way sky does it, or used to do it?), and potentially double membership in one year.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: April 16, 2010, 11:20:11 pm »
Would I be right in saying that this is the time of year when most renewals come around? Anyway, have you considered offering renewal at a lower price to existing members if they get a new member to join up also? Say, £5 or £6 instead of the £10. Could work as a referral jobby (the way sky does it, or used to do it?), and potentially double membership in one year.

The memberships renew on the anniversary that people joined.

We've agonised long and hard about memberships and considered making it free but discounted all "gimmicks" on the basis that we need people who are committed, even if it is only a tenner, to come on board. It gives us more credibility that people have opted in.

Appreciate the thought and idea though.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #235 on: April 16, 2010, 11:37:25 pm »
The memberships renew on the anniversary that people joined.

We've agonised long and hard about memberships and considered making it free but discounted all "gimmicks" on the basis that we need people who are committed, even if it is only a tenner, to come on board. It gives us more credibility that people have opted in.

Appreciate the thought and idea though.

Nothing to stop people talking to their mates and getting people to join anyway and knowing they are part of an even stronger organisation because they recruited more people to help.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2010, 01:58:53 pm »
Sorry this is so rushed but I have been meaning to bring this up for a while but not got round to it.

It's about standing/sitting in the Kop and especially 304/5/6 during league games and the atmosphere in general.

This thread has provoked my response:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=256683.new#new

Anyway who is the best SOS person to address these issues to because the situation is becoming a joke?

Thanks

Alan

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2010, 02:48:15 pm »
Sorry this is so rushed but I have been meaning to bring this up for a while but not got round to it.

It's about standing/sitting in the Kop and especially 304/5/6 during league games and the atmosphere in general.

This thread has provoked my response:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=256683.new#new

Anyway who is the best SOS person to address these issues to because the situation is becoming a joke?

Thanks

Alan

Kieth Culvin at clubliaison@spiritofshankly.com
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »
What happened to the plans of a refurbished Anfield? There was a presentation about that at the last AGM, but there isn't much info out about it out there now. Is it just a pipe dream, have priorities shifted to the Football Quarter or do SOS want to keep it quiet?

I think it would be fantastic if we could stay at Anfield and I believe lots of others feel the same. :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2010, 10:17:34 pm »
What happened to the plans of a refurbished Anfield? There was a presentation about that at the last AGM, but there isn't much info out about it out there now. Is it just a pipe dream, have priorities shifted to the Football Quarter or do SOS want to keep it quiet?

I think it would be fantastic if we could stay at Anfield and I believe lots of others feel the same. :)

Refurbished Anfield is one of the possibilities if not the better option for the Footbal Quarter. Football Quarter can include a New stadium though as well. Down to the architect why the pictures haven't been released as its his designs so while there is nothing confirmed with it then he doesn't want to release them at the moment. Football Quarter is progressing reasonably well with having meetings with different parties, but obviously there will be more to report on after the elections when we can actually get a definitive answer from the City Council leader about taking it forward. Warren Bradly said it was a cracking idea and Joe Anderson has offered his support to it, but obviously wont know what happens until after May 6th.

Its important that people sign the petition still and e-mail it round to everyone they know.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/footballquarter/

More info here (also check latest news section on there as well) http://www.spiritofshankly.com/football-quarter.html