Author Topic: Maggie May's Recipe A Day  (Read 151976 times)

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Maggie May's Recipe A Day
« Reply #1040 on: June 5, 2020, 11:44:33 pm »
Boneless thighs are best when you do KFC. Nobody wants bones. I think its good to season the buttermilk as well as seasoning the flour with the batch of spices. Nashville fried chicken gave me some good ideas for basting the cooked chicken with cayenne and honey etc
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1041 on: June 5, 2020, 11:52:24 pm »
I'm going to have great fun going through these 27 pages trying out new recipes. Just realised I sound like my mother, thank you lock
down.

Feck Arse Girls Drink. Ah that's better.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline aggerdid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1042 on: June 5, 2020, 11:57:40 pm »
Got onto this mexican grandmas videos this week. The hard to find ingredients like dried chillies can be bought  from mexgrocer.co.uk. Chipotles in adobo sauce being one of the best ingredients of any kitchen but impossible to find in UK supermarkets.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJjyyWFwUIOfKhb35WgCqVg

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1043 on: June 6, 2020, 08:15:26 am »
Anyone cooked monkfish before?

I see it used a lot on Masterchef but never cooked it before and we're having it for tea.

I've YouTubed how to fillet it and remove the outer membrane and I know it can take big flavours so was thinking a garlic and/or ginger sauce but I've got asparagus to go with it so don't want it to clash or overpower it.

Suggestions welcome please.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: June 6, 2020, 09:02:26 am »
^ Thai Curry  :lickin

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: June 6, 2020, 09:19:28 am »
^ Thai Curry  :lickin
Ooh good suggestion but it'll have to be for tomorrow now as I've not got coconut milk and I'm not shopping today.

Sorted I'll let you know how it goes [emoji106]

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: June 10, 2020, 09:32:24 pm »
Never updated the Thai curry bit as I ended up doing something totally different.

The fish itself was lovely but a pain in the arse filleting, removing the skin and the membrane though.

Today's suggestion after seeing the blossom is for elderflower cordial.

I used to make it every year when one as living in Lancs and the kids loved it.

Basically it's a carrier bag of flowers,  sugar, water and lemons, quartered, into a brewing bucket, leave for about 6wks, strain and bottle.

I'm sure there'll be proper recipes but we just winged it [emoji23]

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1047 on: June 10, 2020, 09:36:20 pm »
Never updated the Thai curry bit as I ended up doing something totally different.

The fish itself was lovely but a pain in the arse filleting, removing the skin and the membrane though.

Today's suggestion after seeing the blossom is for elderflower cordial.

I used to make it every year when one as living in Lancs and the kids loved it.

Basically it's a carrier bag of flowers,  sugar, water and lemons, quartered, into a brewing bucket, leave for about 6wks, strain and bottle.

I'm sure there'll be proper recipes but we just winged it [emoji23]

My mum used to make this all the time when i was growing up. Lovely stuff but sickly sweet!

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: June 10, 2020, 10:14:50 pm »
My mum used to make this all the time when i was growing up. Lovely stuff but sickly sweet!
Yeah it can be almost like syrup and with the amount of sugar most recipes say to use it's not surprising but you can reduce the amount of sugar by up to half.

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: June 11, 2020, 01:22:34 am »
^ sounds lovely, I've had a bottle from Ikea before, great that you can make it from scratch.

We made a Thai fish curry and noodles on Monday - so hot but great, clears the sinuses :odd

Offline aggerdid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1050 on: June 22, 2020, 11:25:59 pm »
If anyone has a costco membership get the grandma porcos sausages. Easily the best sausages i’ve had. Make a tomato sauce. Get the skins off them and get them melt into the sauce. Have them on toast. Chicago pizza toppings. Great on the bbq an all. Get them and you wont be disappointed. About a fiver for 18

http://www.riverwayfoods.co.uk/sausages

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1051 on: August 27, 2020, 02:00:31 pm »
Branched out a bit this week, thought I'd try to learn a few new things. Been watching a fair bit of old Masterchefs on Netflix to pass the time and it's given me a drive to try things totally new to me.

Did my first creamless carbonara on Tuesday, just with egg (3 yolks, 1 white) and parmesan. Pretty pleased I didn't end up with spaghetti a la scrambled egg, I'll do it again.

I want to start preparing more of my own food, so bought a lemon sole and a filleting knife yesterday and had a go at filleting it. I followed a BBC Good Food video which went: head off, fillet, remove skin from fillets. Think when I do it again I'll get the skin off first, as getting it off the fillets seemed to just lose me some meat.

Either way, pretty successful - small but recognisable fillets. Did a sole meunière where they're floured and quickly fried in loads of butter, capers, parsley and lemon juice and served that with baby new potatoes and veg. I'm particularly interested in trying new fish recipes so thinking of getting a different whole fish every few weeks and just trying things out.

My partner is doing pork saltimbocca tonight.

We've also started getting Hello Fresh boxes - only had 2 so far but really liking what they give you.

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1052 on: November 18, 2020, 10:52:25 am »
Has anyone got any suggestions or recipe ideas for us to make on Saturday? We try to do something different each week to stave off the lockdown boredom. We've done cheese and wine night, foreign beer night etc. This weekend we want to cook something out the ordinary, maybe a bit of a challenge, we're both decent at cooking so are willing to try something leaning towards difficult.

Any suggestions welcome  :)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1053 on: November 18, 2020, 06:36:27 pm »
I've done baked pork chops, season the pork chops first in herbs & spices[preferably the day before you cook them], place the chops on a roasting tray, then add onion, peppers & mushroom, use a bit of water or red wine if you prefer, keeps the chops moist as they're cooking, preheat the oven to 200C or gas mark 6, cover with foil & cook on the middle shelf for 70-80 minutes.
#Sausages

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1054 on: November 19, 2020, 12:24:07 pm »
Has anyone got any suggestions or recipe ideas for us to make on Saturday? We try to do something different each week to stave off the lockdown boredom. We've done cheese and wine night, foreign beer night etc. This weekend we want to cook something out the ordinary, maybe a bit of a challenge, we're both decent at cooking so are willing to try something leaning towards difficult.

Any suggestions welcome  :)

It depends what you like? If you like curries, this is a nice alternative to a takeaway or a traditional 'fakeaway'.

We get a Gousto box delivered which provides us (2 of us) with 4 meals per week, then we shop for and cook our own meals on the other 3 days. But recently we had a brilliant dal from Gousto. Have had a couple of them before from Gousto and made my own previously, including a lentil dal from my Mowgli cookbook but this one was really, really good. I think it was the chicken thighs. There is so much of it too - we got dinner each out of it and I had a bowl for my lunch the next day.

https://www.gousto.co.uk/cookbook/recipes/one-pot-black-pepper-chicken-dal-coriander-naan

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: November 19, 2020, 02:23:05 pm »
It depends what you like? If you like curries, this is a nice alternative to a takeaway or a traditional 'fakeaway'.

We get a Gousto box delivered which provides us (2 of us) with 4 meals per week, then we shop for and cook our own meals on the other 3 days. But recently we had a brilliant dal from Gousto. Have had a couple of them before from Gousto and made my own previously, including a lentil dal from my Mowgli cookbook but this one was really, really good. I think it was the chicken thighs. There is so much of it too - we got dinner each out of it and I had a bowl for my lunch the next day.

https://www.gousto.co.uk/cookbook/recipes/one-pot-black-pepper-chicken-dal-coriander-naan
We got that in the summer and have had loads of Mowgli recipes. Unreal, everything we've had. Would deffo recommend. We tend to have all sorts of spices in anyway, but the book mentioned Matta's on Bold St so we filled any gaps from there too. it's a great place.
Mowgli recipes, Ingredients from Matta's can't beat it.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: November 19, 2020, 04:40:08 pm »
We got that in the summer and have had loads of Mowgli recipes. Unreal, everything we've had. Would deffo recommend. We tend to have all sorts of spices in anyway, but the book mentioned Matta's on Bold St so we filled any gaps from there too. it's a great place.
Mowgli recipes, Ingredients from Matta's can't beat it.

Yeah, it's a great book but you do need to read ahead with it and allow enough prep time. Some of the recipes have ingredients that you need to make from other pages etc... I made that mistake when I first tried to make something but as long as you plan it out, it's unbelievable!

Haven't made the tamarind fries though... I'm afraid that would lead to a very slippery, fat slope.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1057 on: November 20, 2020, 09:56:36 am »
Yeah, it's a great book but you do need to read ahead with it and allow enough prep time. Some of the recipes have ingredients that you need to make from other pages etc... I made that mistake when I first tried to make something but as long as you plan it out, it's unbelievable!

Haven't made the tamarind fries though... I'm afraid that would lead to a very slippery, fat slope.

Mrs A has done all the Mowgli up to now, but I'm pretty sure she ovens the spuds for the tamarind fries . If not she does them in a pan with v. little oil. She definitely doesn't deep fry them and everyone who's had them loves them, so you may be on safer ground than you think  ;)
If she does some Mowgli, she tends to do a load and freeze it, especially dahls. There's one with Rhubarb which is outstanding.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: November 21, 2020, 01:18:30 pm »

We've got that Black Pepper Chicken Dal from Gousto for tonight's meal! I love dal, and often make it myself, so looking forward to the Gousto version with chicken.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1059 on: November 22, 2020, 05:51:14 pm »
We've got that Black Pepper Chicken Dal from Gousto for tonight's meal! I love dal, and often make it myself, so looking forward to the Gousto version with chicken.

What did you think!?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1060 on: May 6, 2021, 12:13:06 pm »
I made some ribs for a BBQ a the weekend, ended up not having a BBQ as the weather was unreliable. Of course after we decided not to get the BBQ out, it didn't rain for the rest of the day.

Anyway recipe, apologies for lack of measurements, I don't tend to cook scientifically...

Black Pepper and Whiskey glazed Pork Ribs (Can also be used on steaks or Beef kebabs)
Rub Ribs with a mix of:
Loads of Black pepper
Paprika
Brown Sugar
Salt
Garlic Powder

Let them sit for a few hours in the fridge

For the glaze -

Equal amounts of Whiskey and Brown sugar
Butter
Vanilla extract

Heat all these in a pan until it starts to boil and stir a little. Reduce down to get it more syrupy and have a nice shine. Once it's cool it should still be slightly runny, if it isn't there is probably too much sugar and it will go into a kind of fudge (try not to eat it). You can fix this by stirring in more Whiskey.

Cooking the ribs is down to you, there is a few ways to do them. I tend to slow cook without glaze for an hour or so under foil, on a low temp. Then grill with the glaze. Keep adding the glaze every few minutes while grilling, especially if on the BBQ. They should be nice and shiny when done.

I used Jack Daniels in the main mix, then added a scotch after to give it a kick.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: May 6, 2021, 01:06:18 pm »
I made some ribs for a BBQ a the weekend, ended up not having a BBQ as the weather was unreliable. Of course after we decided not to get the BBQ out, it didn't rain for the rest of the day.

Anyway recipe, apologies for lack of measurements, I don't tend to cook scientifically...

Black Pepper and Whiskey glazed Pork Ribs (Can also be used on steaks or Beef kebabs)
Rub Ribs with a mix of:
Loads of Black pepper
Paprika
Brown Sugar
Salt
Garlic Powder

Let them sit for a few hours in the fridge

For the glaze -

Equal amounts of Whiskey and Brown sugar
Butter
Vanilla extract

Heat all these in a pan until it starts to boil and stir a little. Reduce down to get it more syrupy and have a nice shine. Once it's cool it should still be slightly runny, if it isn't there is probably too much sugar and it will go into a kind of fudge (try not to eat it). You can fix this by stirring in more Whiskey.

Cooking the ribs is down to you, there is a few ways to do them. I tend to slow cook without glaze for an hour or so under foil, on a low temp. Then grill with the glaze. Keep adding the glaze every few minutes while grilling, especially if on the BBQ. They should be nice and shiny when done.

I used Jack Daniels in the main mix, then added a scotch after to give it a kick.

Yum yum!  We don't like whiskey but have some of those little bottles someone got us as a gift so might try this to use them up.

Do like JD though 😁

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1062 on: May 7, 2021, 01:19:14 pm »
^ sounds lovely that Elzar, I was wondering about the vanilla so googled it and there were loads of hits for St. Louis style glaze with vanilla - and one for vanilla Coke glazed ribs - it's the sugar I suppose

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1063 on: May 7, 2021, 01:57:09 pm »
^ sounds lovely that Elzar, I was wondering about the vanilla so googled it and there were loads of hits for St. Louis style glaze with vanilla - and one for vanilla Coke glazed ribs - it's the sugar I suppose

I was very reluctant with the vanilla as I have never used it outside of desserts. I think I will go a little stronger next time as it's battling some strong flavours.

A lot of slow cooked meats use cola and other fizzy drinks to boil in, as the sugar in the drinks creates the sweet glaze. I tried to make an Irn Bru Gammon once, it wasn't actually that bad!  :D
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: May 9, 2021, 10:02:19 am »
Orange and Cider Marmalade.

1 and a half lb of oranges.

2 pints of cider(dry is best)

1 pint of water

3lb of granulated sugar

Slice oranges into thin strips,remove pips and place in a muslin bag.Put oranges,cider,water and the bag of pips into a pan and cook until the peel is soft,this should take about an hour and a half.
Add sugar and stir until dissolved.Bring to a boil and cook until setting point is reached.

Allow to sit for at least ten minutes before pouring into warmed jars.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: May 9, 2021, 10:10:09 am »
Orange and Cider Marmalade.

1 and a half lb of oranges.

2 pints of cider(dry is best)

1 pint of water

3lb of granulated sugar

Slice oranges into thin strips,remove pips and place in a muslin bag.Put oranges,cider,water and the bag of pips into a pan and cook until the peel is soft,this should take about an hour and a half.
Add sugar and stir until dissolved.Bring to a boil and cook until setting point is reached.

Allow to sit for at least ten minutes before pouring into warmed jars.

Going to try this when I've saved enough jars 😁

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: May 9, 2021, 10:27:14 am »
Going to try this when I've saved enough jars 😁

It's lovely,you can really taste the cider. :)

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: May 9, 2021, 10:51:23 am »
It's lovely,you can really taste the cider. :)

I can't wait till autumn to start making pickles and chutneys with all the produce we've not eaten.

The fruit won't be till next year so this will make up for not having homemade jam.

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: May 9, 2021, 12:42:49 pm »
I can't wait till autumn to start making pickles and chutneys with all the produce we've not eaten.

The fruit won't be till next year so this will make up for not having homemade jam.

I have loads of carrots to use up,probably make another batch of marmalade.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: May 9, 2021, 01:29:07 pm »
I have loads of carrots to use up,probably make another batch of marmalade.

Or carrot cake which I believe you can freeze?

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: May 9, 2021, 03:23:06 pm »
Or carrot cake which I believe you can freeze?

Chance would be a fine thing,it's all I can do to stop my lot eating it as it comes out of the oven.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1071 on: May 9, 2021, 03:24:44 pm »
Chance would be a fine thing,it's all I can do to stop my lot eating it as it comes out of the oven.

Yeah there is that 😂

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: May 9, 2021, 03:25:53 pm »
Yeah there is that 😂

Precisely,carrot and lemon marmalade it is then.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: May 9, 2021, 03:27:08 pm »
Precisely,carrot and lemon marmalade it is then.

And tell everyone it's vegetable jam so they won't want any 👍

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1074 on: May 9, 2021, 04:11:31 pm »
And tell everyone it's vegetable jam so they won't want any 👍

Too late for that,our daughter's the only one who won't eat it and she left home three years ago.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: May 9, 2021, 05:23:58 pm »
Make a secret carrot cake and use some of the jam in the middle :lickin

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1076 on: May 9, 2021, 06:10:02 pm »
Make a secret carrot cake and use some of the jam in the middle :lickin

I like the idea of a secret carrot cake.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1077 on: October 28, 2021, 03:30:58 pm »
Anyone ever done pulled pork in a slow cooker dry? I usually put a base of like stock and other stuff in with it, but seen a few recipes that say just do a dry rub and some onions and leave them for hours.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
Share your favourite receipes
« Reply #1078 on: November 9, 2021, 11:20:09 am »
After seeing Nobby post about fast food and having seen a few people on here at times express an interest in, or passion for, cooking I thought it might be interesting to collate a RAWK recipe page.

Any idea, no matter how simple or complex, lets get them shared.

Going to kick things off with a bit of a comfort food one - Burnsinho's Special Mac n Cheese

Ingredients

Macaroni - 300-400g
1 pint double cream
Cheddar
Gouda
Gruyere
2 spring onions
1 pack of diced smoked pancetta (think they are c. 250g)
Ground cumin
Smoked Paprika
Tarragon
Salt + Pepper
Garlic
Ginger
Milk (a splash
Super Secret Ingredient...

So as with most of my cooking, weights and measures are on a "to taste" basis - with the cheeses I'd do maybe 50-100g of each if I had to measure it but it really is more of a gut instinct.

Same with the herbs and spices - no wrong answers

Garlic is simply to put in as much as you can - the more the better

Start it all off in a sauce pan - pancetta, springies, garlic and ginger until the pancetta is browning

Add the cream, tarragon, cumin and paprika

Once this all starts bubbling, get the grated cheeses in - take your time with these so that they melt into the sauce rather than get claggy

Once it is nice and thick, stir in the macaroni to coat it and then transfer it all to an over dish

Cook in the oven on about 150 for an hour (cover with foil)

However many portions there are, bang them back in the pan with a splash of milk and heat to get the perfect consistency on the sauce

Whilst stirring it, add the super secret ingredient - love...wait not love...what is it...of shit yeah, spiced rum!

Throw in a shot of spiced rum for each portion as it gives it a vanilla taste and some warmth.

Season with S+P to your taste

Serve the fucker!

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Re: Share your favourite receipes
« Reply #1079 on: November 9, 2021, 11:27:47 am »
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=204101.0

There is this thread that I would love to be revived!