Author Topic: Watches  (Read 252583 times)

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Watches
« Reply #1720 on: December 12, 2021, 01:07:20 am »
Picked up a Rolex Wimbledon 36mm for our daughters 21st
She loves it and was wrapped in a Wimbledon towel and tshirt

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1721 on: January 31, 2022, 01:58:55 pm »
A year later what I have to say is it's nice enough to look at but the time keeping is hopeless. It seems to lose about a minute per day, every day of the week which is pretty annoying.
It's capable of much better than that. Take it to your local watchmaker and ask them to regulate it. They will probably need a week to keep hold of it and make minor adjustments until it's keeping perfect time.
OK, here is an update.

I got myself a Fitbit watch and put the Seiko in a drawer and forgot about it for a while.  A week ago it came across my mind so took it out the drawer, put it on the correct time, wound it up then put it on. Next morning, exactly 24 hours later I noticed it was 5 minutes slow so now losing 5 minutes per day so next day went to the Metrocentre and took the watch to 2 different places, 1st The Watch Lab where I was told it needs to go in to be regulated and also a service, I said "how much?" and he said £195 . . . . I said "erm, the fucking watch didn't cost that much" and declined his offer.  As I was walking past TIMPSONS a bit later on I seen a sign in the window that read "Watch repairs" so went in and had a chat with the bloke who informed me that they send the watch away somewhere for repairs and I then explained what the problem was and handed him my watch, he looked at it and said to me "it might just need a new battery" . . . . this told me everything I needed to know about the dopey c*nt.  I said "take a look at the writing on the dial, it says SEIKO Automatic, there's ney battery in it"  He said, "o'hh, well it would have to go away for a service"  I said "how much?"  he said I don't know exactly but it will be from £150, that's the cheapest we would charge, it could be more but won't know till we get it in there". I said, thanks, I'll think about it.

I got home and went on youtube, typed in "how to regulate a seiko automatic" and then watched about half a dozen video's including this one.  Very quick and very easy and since then the watch has been running perfect with the time spot on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_QnDKciBU

Ohh and something else, I purchased this so getting the back off the watch was a doddle.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vastar-Opening-Battery-Replacement-Storage/dp/B087DY31PN/ref=psdc_199486031_t3_B09B4R1G33

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1722 on: March 14, 2022, 09:59:32 am »
Received a lovely F1 Tag for my birthday last year. Unfortunately scuffed the bezel a few days ago and really want it sorted. Not taken it in yet for a quote but expect it to be quite high.

Came across this one online - anyone ever bought from them and know if the parts are definitely genuine as they say? Seems much cheaper than I expected to be honest. Also didn't think Tag allowed their parts to be sold separately.

https://watchparts24.com/Genuine-TAG-Heuer-Bezel-with-Gasket-for-Formula-1-CAZ1014
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1723 on: March 22, 2022, 11:25:50 am »
Upcoming big birthday so I am now going through of all the fun of trying to find myself a nice watch, a very expensive hobby, just as well I only do it once every 10 years ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:49:06 am by filopastry »

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1724 on: March 30, 2022, 03:09:51 pm »
New Rolex GMT

Not sure about the crown on the left hand side. Apparently back to original
Currently the Batman is going for $20k above retail on the grey market  :-X

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1725 on: March 30, 2022, 03:12:30 pm »
Father in law has a watch to sell which cost a couple of hundred quid when originally bought. Where's best to sell it (once it has batteries in it).

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1726 on: March 30, 2022, 03:54:48 pm »
Father in law has a watch to sell which cost a couple of hundred quid when originally bought. Where's best to sell it (once it has batteries in it).

See what they are going for on chrono24

Then you’ll have a good idea on price.
Or a local jeweler.
You’ll get battered on what you think you can sell it for and what you’ll get

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #1727 on: March 30, 2022, 04:58:32 pm »
anyone pick up a moon swatch? I have to say I'm tempted if they restock or go online
YNWA

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1728 on: March 30, 2022, 09:38:39 pm »
See what they are going for on chrono24

Then you’ll have a good idea on price.
Or a local jeweler.
You’ll get battered on what you think you can sell it for and what you’ll get

Jewellers buy watches second hand (though never worn?) Not been used and only a Tissot watch.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1729 on: March 31, 2022, 05:31:26 pm »
New Rolex GMT

Not sure about the crown on the left hand side. Apparently back to original
Currently the Batman is going for $20k above retail on the grey market  :-X

Grey prices in the Rolex market are just insane at present.

I actually quite like the Tudor Pelagos LHD when I have seen photos of it, but not so keen on the new Rolex GMT, I think it is the date moving to the left that is throwing me off.

anyone pick up a moon swatch? I have to say I'm tempted if they restock or go online

Is the band easily changeable on the Moonswatch, its the only element I really don't like, even for the price!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 05:33:44 pm by filopastry »

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #1730 on: March 31, 2022, 07:41:22 pm »

Is the band easily changeable on the Moonswatch, its the only element I really don't like, even for the price!
I don’t think it’s designed to be changed but have seen online that people have done it. to be honest it just looks like a regular pin so I don’t see the issue unless it’s a weird size
YNWA

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1731 on: May 12, 2022, 11:04:22 am »
poco watch on the way

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #1732 on: July 11, 2022, 11:07:46 am »
Picked up a fake moonswatch for like 30 quid. Having seen a real one I could never ever justify paying even the asking price for it. Its a toy.
Aiming to pick up a dan henry maverick watch instead. Im in love
https://danhenrywatches.com/products/1972-maverick-chronograph
YNWA

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1733 on: February 24, 2023, 08:10:55 pm »
So I haven't worn a watch since I was about 12 and not really fussed about them, but my employer gives employees a watch for their 10 year service award. They used to give everyone a Rolex Submariner but now there is a huge waiting list for them so they just give the local jeweller a budget and you go down and pick out a watch you want if you don't wawnt to wait for the Rolex. I completed 10 years in November so just got mine.

Went down today, and walked out with a Omega Constellation - this one specifically: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watch-omega-constellation-co-axial-master-chronometer-41-mm-13123412106001

I'm curious what those actually into watches think and if I made a good choice....

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1734 on: February 24, 2023, 10:38:40 pm »
So I haven't worn a watch since I was about 12 and not really fussed about them, but my employer gives employees a watch for their 10 year service award. They used to give everyone a Rolex Submariner but now there is a huge waiting list for them so they just give the local jeweller a budget and you go down and pick out a watch you want if you don't wawnt to wait for the Rolex. I completed 10 years in November so just got mine.

Went down today, and walked out with a Omega Constellation - this one specifically: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watch-omega-constellation-co-axial-master-chronometer-41-mm-13123412106001

I'm curious what those actually into watches think and if I made a good choice....

Jesus, a £9k gift for only doing 10 years? That's some gig you've got going there. Most good companies I've worked for give you a decent pen or a gift voucher for a department store.

Stunning looking watch all the same even though.

Personally, I'd go for a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe gray ceramic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7ym61_lUnFE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7ym61_lUnFE</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1735 on: February 24, 2023, 10:52:11 pm »
Jesus, a £9k gift for only doing 10 years? That's some gig you've got going there. Most good companies I've worked for give you a decent pen or a gift voucher for a department store.

Stunning looking watch all the same even though.

Personally, I'd go for a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe gray ceramic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7ym61_lUnFE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7ym61_lUnFE</a>

Ha! They make up for the relatively poor pay with good service awards. It's a bit of a tradition for the company and probably goes a long way to getting the staff retention they have. It does amaze everyone when they hear we get that for 10 years.

That's a stunning looking watch there, would have been tempted by that if it was an option.

The Constellation was the most expensive one I could get, but genuinely was my favourite and didn't just get it for the resell value.  ;D

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1736 on: February 25, 2023, 11:00:22 am »

Stunning looking watch, great choice.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1737 on: February 25, 2023, 02:31:36 pm »

Lovely watch and like others have said. Nice company ;D

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #1738 on: March 27, 2023, 10:28:36 am »
 I've been thinking of treating myself to a decent watch for a while now, but before I do, I was wondering on how would be the best way to insure such a item (in the UK)?

I have often read this thread and wondered how easy this is to do?

Are there any reputable UK companies that some of you may use or do you add to home insurance? Although many watches would most probably be worth too much to add to a home insurance. Also, I guess some may have separate jewellery insurance policies?

As I say, this is just something I'm considering at the moment, so any thoughts or companies to recommend on this would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 10:30:41 am by gravy red »

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1739 on: March 27, 2023, 11:16:18 am »
I've been thinking of treating myself to a decent watch for a while now, but before I do, I was wondering on how would be the best way to insure such a item (in the UK)?

Are there any reputable UK companies that some of you may use or do you add to home insurance? Although many watches would most probably be worth too much to add to a home insurance. Also, I guess some may have separate jewellery insurance policies?

As I say, this is just something I'm considering at the moment, so any thoughts or companies to recommend on this would be appreciated.

My watch is insured on my home insurance policy as an "exceptional item".

You can call your existing insurance company to add it on and then in future, list it when using a comparison site for your next policy.

Don't think it makes for a huge increase to the insurance policy. I just took out a new home and building insurance this weekend and it was £200 for the year including my watch and wife's engagement ring.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1740 on: March 27, 2023, 11:33:34 am »
Ha! They make up for the relatively poor pay with good service awards. It's a bit of a tradition for the company and probably goes a long way to getting the staff retention they have. It does amaze everyone when they hear we get that for 10 years.

That's a stunning looking watch there, would have been tempted by that if it was an option.

The Constellation was the most expensive one I could get, but genuinely was my favourite and didn't just get it for the resell value.  ;D

interesting gift. I guess they have a $9K write off against profit. You have a fully 9K watch that if it had been in wages then employee pays taxes and I am sure the employer pays some tax or insurance on also.

Would you have preferred 5K in cash ?.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1741 on: March 27, 2023, 12:00:10 pm »
Tesco are downgrading their clubcard from triple points to double soon

Have about 115 quid I could convert to 345 so thinking of using it for a watch
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1742 on: March 27, 2023, 12:22:12 pm »

It cost me about £60 to add my watch (see above) as an exceptional item on my home insurance for the remaining 10 months of my policy. That covers accidental damage and loss as well.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1743 on: March 27, 2023, 12:23:27 pm »
interesting gift. I guess they have a $9K write off against profit. You have a fully 9K watch that if it had been in wages then employee pays taxes and I am sure the employer pays some tax or insurance on also.

Would you have preferred 5K in cash ?.

£5k would have been nice! I have no idea on the tax implications, not my area of expertise.

It's nice to have whereas if I got a cash lump sum it probably would have just gone on paying down the mortgage which is a bit boring!

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1744 on: March 28, 2023, 11:11:53 pm »

Fucking 15 year’s service next month and I won’t get so much as a thank you never mind a £10k watch you jammy git!  ;D
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #1745 on: March 29, 2023, 01:07:07 am »

Nice choice and nice company 10-year gift. :)

I'm a collector, I own a few pieces, including an earlier Constellation (with a tapisserie dial).

Health to enjoy yours.  :thumbup
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1746 on: March 29, 2023, 09:08:16 am »
Anybody had a go on this?

Heaven knows how genuine it is. Tickets range from £15-60 per ticket depending on the watch.

https://www.luxurywatchsupply.com/
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1747 on: March 29, 2023, 09:35:18 am »
Anybody had a go on this?

Heaven knows how genuine it is. Tickets range from £15-60 per ticket depending on the watch.

https://www.luxurywatchsupply.com/

Their website is a bit basic (with no 'accept cookies' pop-up) - but they do exist as a company - accounts here: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11971914/filing-history

They appear to have a bricks and mortar shop too - although it looks a bit 'temporary'.

I'm not a gambler (at all) - but I guess it's a case of 'spend as much as you're prepared to lose/write off.'

:)

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1748 on: April 5, 2023, 08:46:50 pm »
after one for a while now,, finally treated myself

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1749 on: April 5, 2023, 08:51:04 pm »
Their website is a bit basic (with no 'accept cookies' pop-up) - but they do exist as a company - accounts here: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11971914/filing-history

They appear to have a bricks and mortar shop too - although it looks a bit 'temporary'.

I'm not a gambler (at all) - but I guess it's a case of 'spend as much as you're prepared to lose/write off.'

:)

Was reading an article about these watch lotteries.. and apparently some are ways of getting rid of stolen watches for much more than they are worth, as in people pay a 'subscription' fee each month to be entered into the 'draw' so from a watch that might sell for £15000 approx,, they might make £50-60000 per watch.. allegdedly 

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1750 on: April 5, 2023, 11:53:20 pm »
after one for a while now,, finally treated myself

Nice score. :)

Health to enjoy!  :thumbup

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1751 on: April 5, 2023, 11:54:12 pm »
Was reading an article about these watch lotteries.. and apparently some are ways of getting rid of stolen watches for much more than they are worth, as in people pay a 'subscription' fee each month to be entered into the 'draw' so from a watch that might sell for £15000 approx,, they might make £50-60000 per watch.. allegdedly

Yeah, I can see that.

I'd rather just buy (from a trusted source).

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1752 on: April 6, 2023, 04:32:05 pm »
If you send something like a Rolex off for service and its a previously stolen watch, you won't be getting it back either.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2023, 04:36:11 pm by filopastry »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1753 on: April 6, 2023, 04:43:59 pm »
They'll be regulated in the same way those that do the homes and cars are.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1754 on: April 17, 2023, 06:13:07 pm »
Nice score. :)

Health to enjoy!  :thumbup

Love it, was a bit apprehensive as its a chunky lump.. but wears excellent  , Thanks

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1755 on: April 17, 2023, 06:18:41 pm »
If you send something like a Rolex off for service and its a previously stolen watch, you won't be getting it back either.

If i remember rightly, (long time ago) read an article about a bloke who bought a rolex in good faith from a 'reputable' dealer . Eventually sent it for a service. serial numbers were checked,, turnt out it was stolen, but neither the person who it was stolen off or the unwitting buyer got the watch back,, rolex wouldnt or couldnt decide who to give the watch back too so if i remember it was left with the police

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1756 on: April 30, 2023, 12:40:26 am »
Gradually reducing my watch size, happy with the results. Wore a few Omega Planet Ocean (45mm) for years because I thought my massive hands made anything smaller look daft, converted to a 42mm Speedmaster a couple of years ago which I wasn’t sure about initially but grew to love. Bought a Datejust 41mm last week after saying I wouldn’t ever fork out for another Rolex but absolutely adore it.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1757 on: April 30, 2023, 01:05:31 am »
Hmm. Where the hell did I leave my Rolex?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1758 on: April 30, 2023, 12:21:29 pm »
Hmm. Where the hell did I leave my Rolex?

Same  ;D

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1759 on: May 13, 2023, 07:44:39 pm »
Gradually reducing my watch size, happy with the results. Wore a few Omega Planet Ocean (45mm) for years because I thought my massive hands made anything smaller look daft, converted to a 42mm Speedmaster a couple of years ago which I wasn’t sure about initially but grew to love. Bought a Datejust 41mm last week after saying I wouldn’t ever fork out for another Rolex but absolutely adore it.

Rolex should do an ad based on trump,with a 15mm face.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.