Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 396155 times)

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2009, 09:17:38 pm »
1)  I wouldn't touch Yukanuba with a barge pole.  Because your older dogs are calm doesn't mean it's okay.  Artificial colours, additives and the crap they stick in the expensive food doesn't affect every dog in the same way.

2)  Jumping up isn't a 'behavioural problem', it's her being happy and excited to see people.  Giving her an exciting alternative is the way to solve it.  Telling her off for doing it can actually make her scared of people.  (The logic is this.  If she doesn't get told off the rest of the time, the only difference is this person - so that person must be something to worry about if you're getting told off)

3)  Mouthing is normal puppy behaviour - nothing to worry about.  Swap your hand for a toy and praise her for mouthing the toy.  Remember that in the next month she is going to become very mouthy and will start chewing on things as she swaps from her puppy teeth to her adult teeth, so give her plenty of things she's allowed to chew or she will shew table legs, etc.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2009, 04:24:03 pm »
1)  I wouldn't touch Yukanuba with a barge pole.  Because your older dogs are calm doesn't mean it's okay.  Artificial colours, additives and the crap they stick in the expensive food doesn't affect every dog in the same way.

2)  Jumping up isn't a 'behavioural problem', it's her being happy and excited to see people.  Giving her an exciting alternative is the way to solve it.  Telling her off for doing it can actually make her scared of people.  (The logic is this.  If she doesn't get told off the rest of the time, the only difference is this person - so that person must be something to worry about if you're getting told off)

3)  Mouthing is normal puppy behaviour - nothing to worry about.  Swap your hand for a toy and praise her for mouthing the toy.  Remember that in the next month she is going to become very mouthy and will start chewing on things as she swaps from her puppy teeth to her adult teeth, so give her plenty of things she's allowed to chew or she will shew table legs, etc.

Cheers Rox so what food would you recommend instead? Another thing is she try's to steal food from my older female ( who is 11 and very gentle and docile) unless I watch them eating or completely seperate them she will steal the food.
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2009, 04:38:13 pm »
For a Rhodesian Ridgeback, you'll need a 'large breed' food.  To be honest, I suggest getting in touch with the Rhodesian Ridgeback club and ask if they have any breed-specific suggestions.  They will be best placed to give you experienced advice.  (We've had a St. Bernard, but not a Dane).  I also suggest you ask them about the best time to spey as opinions vary from breed to breed.

To be honest, the food stealing isn't unusual for any breed; the food the other dog has is ALWAYS more interesting...  :)

Need help house training my puppy! got him at 6 weeks old now 12 weeks old and still shitting and pissing anywhere he wants round the house. Whenever i take him out for a walk he never does any businiess so dont know what to do with him!

What breed is he?  What do you feed him?  Do you tell him off when he goes in the wrong place?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:39:57 pm by Rox »
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2009, 05:16:51 pm »
Hey I have a question!

I just picked up an Australian Shepard about 2 weeks ago, beautiful dog!

anyways, she is 2 years old and has lived outside on a farm her whole life. Well I felt bad taking an outdoor dog having acres to roam to a house in the city with a decent sized backyard.  He said he was going to shoot the dog because it kept chasing his cows (It's a herd dog idiot) But after the initial shock she has settled right in! She loves my roommate and me, to the point where even if I went to the restroom, she would start crying and yelping. That's one thing I need help with is to let her still have personality while not crying. Every time we come home she cries for minutes even if you are petting and holding her, giving the vibe "oh thank god you came home, i'm sorry if I did something"

We have left her inside in fear that it was either to cold or she might get away, up until today. I woke up, took her out back, showered, and by the time I checked on her again she was trembling and looked sad out of her mind! I think she feels like it's punishment for something, and I feel awful. I'm going home at break to  make sure she hasn't gone crazy.

Oh and also, she will not eat her food. At first we thought she was settling in, but after a couple of days and numerous types of food, she would maybe eat a few pieces out of. Well I tried mixing it with wet food, and that seemed to work for a bit, but now she just licks that and doesn't eat her dry food. Is it possible the food is to big? (she's around 30lbs)It's just normal sized dog food. She always finds some food in the house and as much as we've hidden things, she is a smart dog and we haven't caught her in the act yet.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:18:50 pm by BRDispatch05 »
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2009, 05:33:25 pm »
Hey I have a question!

I just picked up an Australian Shepard about 2 weeks ago, beautiful dog!

anyways, she is 2 years old and has lived outside on a farm her whole life. Well I felt bad taking an outdoor dog having acres to roam to a house in the city with a decent sized backyard.  He said he was going to shoot the dog because it kept chasing his cows (It's a herd dog idiot) But after the initial shock she has settled right in! She loves my roommate and me, to the point where even if I went to the restroom, she would start crying and yelping. That's one thing I need help with is to let her still have personality while not crying. Every time we come home she cries for minutes even if you are petting and holding her, giving the vibe "oh thank god you came home, i'm sorry if I did something"

We have left her inside in fear that it was either to cold or she might get away, up until today. I woke up, took her out back, showered, and by the time I checked on her again she was trembling and looked sad out of her mind! I think she feels like it's punishment for something, and I feel awful. I'm going home at break to  make sure she hasn't gone crazy.

Oh and also, she will not eat her food. At first we thought she was settling in, but after a couple of days and numerous types of food, she would maybe eat a few pieces out of. Well I tried mixing it with wet food, and that seemed to work for a bit, but now she just licks that and doesn't eat her dry food. Is it possible the food is to big? (she's around 30lbs)It's just normal sized dog food. She always finds some food in the house and as much as we've hidden things, she is a smart dog and we haven't caught her in the act yet.

Im not an expert on dogs but maybe I can sympathise, I picked my up one of my dogs from the SPCA she was abused as a pup and as a consequence hates to be left alone. When Im home she will follow me from room to room and does a similiar crying thing when I get home everyday. To curb her dependency on me, I got a male to be her companion and that helped a lot. 
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2009, 07:55:50 pm »
BRDispatch05, she's beautiful...  what's her name?

...and being and Aussie, does she have a tail?  What food are you feeding?

If you want her to be a little more independent from you, you need to give her some 'jobs' to do around the house.  After all, she's a working dog and that brain will need some mental stimulation.  It also gives her confidence in her own stuff she can do without you.  Also, you could give her a nice raw bone from a butchers.  It will be good for her digestion.

Be happy you're in the US, or we'd be swinging by to doggynap her!!  :D

So, what you can do is give her something to hold, so when you go into another room, you ask her to fetch something.  It will keep her busy, and having something in her mouth will make her feel more secure and not worry so much.  Also, it's more difficult to cry when you're holding something in your mouth.  Same for when you come back from anywhere, as soon as you come in, ask her to do something for you - ask her to bring something to you.  :)

Now, and this is VERY important with herding breeds - NEVER listen to Caesar Millan or his 'dominance' nonsense.  A working dog wants to be your number 2 - your assistant - that's what they want to be.  If you earn her respect, she will do whatever you ask, you don't need to do any of that Dog Whisperer crap.

Normally I would say if you want some more in depth advice, give us a call, but the international rates may be a bit much!!  :D

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2009, 11:16:41 pm »
BRDispatch05, she's beautiful...  what's her name?

...and being and Aussie, does she have a tail?  What food are you feeding?

If you want her to be a little more independent from you, you need to give her some 'jobs' to do around the house.  After all, she's a working dog and that brain will need some mental stimulation.  It also gives her confidence in her own stuff she can do without you.  Also, you could give her a nice raw bone from a butchers.  It will be good for her digestion.

Be happy you're in the US, or we'd be swinging by to doggynap her!!  :D

So, what you can do is give her something to hold, so when you go into another room, you ask her to fetch something.  It will keep her busy, and having something in her mouth will make her feel more secure and not worry so much.  Also, it's more difficult to cry when you're holding something in your mouth.  Same for when you come back from anywhere, as soon as you come in, ask her to do something for you - ask her to bring something to you.  :)

Now, and this is VERY important with herding breeds - NEVER listen to Caesar Millan or his 'dominance' nonsense.  A working dog wants to be your number 2 - your assistant - that's what they want to be.  If you earn her respect, she will do whatever you ask, you don't need to do any of that Dog Whisperer crap.

Normally I would say if you want some more in depth advice, give us a call, but the international rates may be a bit much!!  :D

Thanks Rox I really appreciate it! And Crazy too

Her name is Kora (Aussie for companion), and she actually has a fairly long tail. Also likes to knock things over

I've heard to try not to force your dog to eat, but we've tried two different kinds of purina, forgot the names for now. Ah, one is in the picture! looks to say "completely balanced".

I was told not to try and force feed her, would that include bones? She chewed one down and loved it but won't chew any of the other ones. Also got her a Kong toy (supposed to be a busy toy) that you fill with food, but she is smart and get's that in about 10 seconds. Made a sock toy for her, got this moose toy, nothing. Left a bone in the backyard so maybe she'll get bored and do that.

Is there a certain way to train her to fetch considering she dislikes fun doggy toys? Someone had told me to not pay attention to her until she settles down, than give her loads of attention letting her know begging for it is wrong (even though I love it! Just not everytime I walk outside to take the trash out :) )?

Oh, and please foreworn me if you ever plan a visit to the states  :wave
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2009, 01:17:30 am »
What a great thread! My puppy Shankly is 7.5 months old now and is a joy, she's a mix between a spaniel and kelpie. She has just been spayed and is doing fine after the op. Problem is now that her eyes are very irritable. The vet said it was probably conjunctivitis and gave her drops then said to watch her. Unfortunately the eyes still look red underneath and the vet has said she may need to again go under anaesthetic so they can "pop the follicles" in her eye to make the irritation go away for good. Is this totally necessary?? I really want her to be better, although they don't seem to bother her too much, I just don't want her to have to go under again so quickly after the spay, (which was middle January).

We are very lucky with her I have to admit, apart from the odd bit of digging in the yard and occasional mess in the house overnight if she can't hold it she's a star! Picks things up really quickly and is so loyal! In case you couldn't tell I love my dog to bits!!!  ;D

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2009, 11:31:14 am »
BRDispatch05..

First, the good news: it's fantastic to see an Aussie with a tail - they are usually docked to prevent damage from cattle treading on them.  It's lovely to see Kora as she is meant to look.  :)

Now the bad news: I won't tell you when I'll be making a dognapping in your area...  ;)

Now, the serious bad news:  these are the ingredients in the dog food you're feeding:

Ingredients
Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn gluten meal, meat and bone meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, barley, whole grain wheat, animal digest, calcium carbonate, salt, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2, Yellow 6), DL-Methionine, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

Let's have a look at these colourings first. 

Red 40:

Otherwise known as Allura Red or E129.  Allura Red AC may cause an adverse reaction in the small number of people with an aspirin intolerance or allergy, manifesting itself as a skin rash (urticaria) and/or nausea.

In some people, even those with no other known allergies, Allura Red AC can cause severe urticaria, difficulty breathing, and even anaphylaxis (shock).

In Europe, Allura Red AC is not recommended for consumption by children. It is banned in Denmark, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, and Austria. The European Union approves Allura Red AC as a food colorant, but EU countries' local laws banning food colorants are preserved.  In Norway it was banned between 1978 and 2001, a period in which azo dyes were only legally used in alcoholic beverages and some fish products

Yellow 2:

Otherwise known as Tartrazine - E102.   A trial on 76 children diagnosed as hyperactive, showed that tartrazine provoked abnormal behaviour patterns in 79% of them.

Blue 2:

Otherwise known as E132 - Can cause skin sensitivity, a rash similar to nettle rash, itching, nausea, high blood pressure and breathing problems. One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children.
Prohibited in Norway.

Yellow 6

Otherwise known as E110 - Sunset Yellow (E110) has been found to damage kidneys and adrenals when fed to laboratory rats. It has also been found to be carcinogenic when fed to animals.

On 6 September 2007, the British Food Standards Agency revised advice on certain artificial food additives.

Professor Jim Stevenson from Southampton University, and author of the report, said: "This has been a major study investigating an important area of research. The results suggest that consumption of certain mixtures of artificial food colours and sodium benzoate preservative are associated with increases in hyperactive behaviour in children.

I think you see where I'm going with this....?  ;)

And that's just FOUR of the FORTY ONE ingredients listed on the pack.

So the first thing is to get hold of a good quality natural food with no nonsense in it.  I definitely wouldn't feed that food to any dog with those colourings in it.  Purina is owned by Nestle over here.. I assume it's the same in the States?

Ashy9, not heard of 'popping the follicles' before.  To be honest, I'd see another vet at another surgery for advice.  Alternatively, you can ring the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and ask them for advice - they will tell you whether it sounds right or not.  I've called them before and they are very helpful.  :)  Another beautiful dog joins this thread!   :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:33:24 am by Rox »

Offline 4-2-3-1

• dyscalculic
  • Kopite
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2009, 11:33:33 am »
My puppy Shankly

Mine is called Shankly too :)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2009, 11:44:00 am »
Thanks for previous advice ;)

One question i have is , my Boxer Michaela age 12+ keeps trying to turn her bowl over ... always though it was because the food was hot sometimes .. but shes does it all the time ?
Seems when i put her foot on a flat clean surface , she eats more of it ?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:47:38 am by rocco »

Offline Asha D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2009, 11:47:30 am »

What breed is he?  What do you feed him?  Do you tell him off when he goes in the wrong place?
He's a cross between a jack russell terrier and a patterdale terrier. He used to get fed dry food but he doesnt eat it so he's now on tins of butchers puppy meat but he still isnt fond of that! He loves the pouches with all the gravy in but they give him diarrea :(. When he goes toilet in places he shouldnt he gets told off but still goes back when he needs too. The most common place he goes for number 2's is the landing and for wee's its anywhere. When he gets put in the back he just stands at the door crying to get back in and doesnt do any toilet outside.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2009, 11:47:33 am »

One question i have is , my Boxer keeps trying to turn her bowl over ... always though it was because the food was hot sometimes .. but shes does it all the time ?

Soem dogs do this; sometimes it's because they're trying to see if there's something underneath, other times it's habit, and sometimes people think it goes back to trying to hide food (ie bury it).

You're saying it's hot - what are you feeding her?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2009, 11:48:22 am »
Soem dogs do this; sometimes it's because they're trying to see if there's something underneath, other times it's habit, and sometimes people think it goes back to trying to hide food (ie bury it).

You're saying it's hot - what are you feeding her?
Use to give her a bit of Gravy on it the odd time 

Dry food sometimes with a can of pedigree chum

Got both her and shugs on the same day in 1997 ...shugs passed away in jan ... thought it might be effecting her ?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:50:33 am by rocco »

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2009, 11:50:11 am »

One question i have is , my Boxer keeps trying to turn her bowl over ... always though it was because the food was hot sometimes .. but shes does it all the time ?
My boxer used to do this too. We bought a stand for the bowl so it can't tip but now she tries to bury stuff in her bowl as if saving it for later.
A bastion of invincibility

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2009, 11:51:44 am »
My boxer used to do this too. We bought a stand for the bowl so it can't tip but now she tries to bury stuff in her bowl as if saving it for later.

Caught her last night pushing the bowl around the Yard and putting a bag over  ?

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2009, 11:54:17 am »
He's a cross between a jack russell terrier and a patterdale terrier. He used to get fed dry food but he doesnt eat it so he's now on tins of butchers puppy meat but he still isnt fond of that! He loves the pouches with all the gravy in but they give him diarrea :(. When he goes toilet in places he shouldnt he gets told off but still goes back when he needs too. The most common place he goes for number 2's is the landing and for wee's its anywhere. When he gets put in the back he just stands at the door crying to get back in and doesnt do any toilet outside.

This is such a common thing.

You're telling him off for going to the toilet.  He doesn't necessarily know that you're telling him off for doing it in the wrong place.  This can make your dog scared of going to the toilet in front of you.  In extreme cases, it can make dogs feel guilty and scared about going to the toilet at all.

What you should have done from the start is encourage him outside when he is giving off 'toilet' body language, and when he starts to do it in the right place, tell him he's a good boy.  He's only going to learn by being guided.

He will keep going back to the same places because it's the only comfortable place he's learned to poo, and it still smells of his previous poo.

You can buy puppy training pads - put one of those down where he usually goes to the loo, and let him get used to using the pad.  Then gradually move the pad toward the back door and outside over a period of a week, for example.

You praise him when he does it on the pad so the pad becomes his toilet, and when that's outside, you can gradually get rid of the pad.

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2009, 11:55:36 am »
Caught her last night pushing the bowl around the Yard and putting a bag over  ?
LOL, Who knows what goes on in the mind of a boxer! Pair of crackers you've got there by the look of it. How old?

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2009, 11:58:02 am »

Got both her and shugs on the same day in 1997 ...shugs passed away in jan ... thought it might be effecting her ?

If you've read the thread, you should know better than not tell me which brand of dry food... a lot of tinned foods contain E-numbers, I'd recommend Butcher's brand instead.  :)

Sounds like she's instinctively trying to save food for later.  Dogs are by nature a scavenging animal, and if they found a stockpile of food, would bury some for eating later.  In a household where they always have food, this nature can come out, but looks confused because it's not a raw bone they're hiding.  It often ends up being the bowl (because the bowl is what the food comes in...)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:10 am »
LOL, Who knows what goes on in the mind of a boxer! Pair of crackers you've got there by the look of it. How old?
Shugs passed away in jan ... Micheala is 12+ years  poor babe was heart broken.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:26 am »
Also, she might be trying to save some for when her pal comes back.  It does happen, bless her.   :-[  Lovely looking dogs!

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »

Sorry mate, I miseed that last bit before asking their ages

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2009, 12:01:19 pm »
If you've read the thread, you should know better than not tell me which brand of dry food... a lot of tinned foods contain E-numbers, I'd recommend Butcher's brand instead.  :)

Sounds like she's instinctively trying to save food for later.  Dogs are by nature a scavenging animal, and if they found a stockpile of food, would bury some for eating later.  In a household where they always have food, this nature can come out, but looks confused because it's not a raw bone they're hiding.  It often ends up being the bowl (because the bowl is what the food comes in...)

cheers , already mentioned the fry food to you in previous post { RED MILLS  LEADER}

... Vet recommended it.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2009, 12:02:50 pm »
Also, she might be trying to save some for when her pal comes back.  It does happen, bless her.   :-[  Lovely looking dogs!

Was thinking that myself ... as shugs always eat his and half or all  of hers .. had to watch him when i brought out the food .
Michaela use to let him if it was dry food .. but if something taster she would put him in his place ..
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:05:28 pm by rocco »

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2009, 12:08:16 pm »
Rox, what's the best food you can recommend for dogs, other than arden grange. Still having problems getting Jess to eat the same kind of food for more than 3 days running.

Thanks!
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2009, 12:13:40 pm »
Rox, what's the best food you can recommend for dogs, other than arden grange. Still having problems getting Jess to eat the same kind of food for more than 3 days running.

Thanks!

Rox may say I'm very wrong but ...

I use to give a bit of gravy with it and it worked  great ?

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2009, 12:26:43 pm »

Try that, and sometimes it works, other times she just licks the gravy of and leave the food, cheating little git! I've got to the stage now where I'm running out of brands!!
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2009, 12:29:06 pm »
Try that, and sometimes it works, other times she just licks the gravy of and leave the food, cheating little git! I've got to the stage now where I'm running out of brands!!
;D clever dog.

Next i would try mixed in with tuna with brine.

I has similar problem with Michaela  .. end up just giving her the same dry  food and after a while she just starting eating it every day .. sometimes she may expect a change all the time ?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:32:12 pm by rocco »

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2009, 12:35:44 pm »

Yeah, I may say you're wrong but not about the gravy!!  :D

Tinned fish is good too, but I tend to use the stuff in Sunflower oil, because you can really mix that in and let it soak into the biscuit, so they become fishy biscuits.

I can't find a list of ingredients for what's in the food you feed, Rocco, but I think it's missing her pal / instinctive behaviour rather than anything else, bless her.

Offline Asha D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2009, 12:56:27 pm »
This is such a common thing.

You're telling him off for going to the toilet.  He doesn't necessarily know that you're telling him off for doing it in the wrong place.  This can make your dog scared of going to the toilet in front of you.  In extreme cases, it can make dogs feel guilty and scared about going to the toilet at all.

What you should have done from the start is encourage him outside when he is giving off 'toilet' body language, and when he starts to do it in the right place, tell him he's a good boy.  He's only going to learn by being guided.

He will keep going back to the same places because it's the only comfortable place he's learned to poo, and it still smells of his previous poo.

You can buy puppy training pads - put one of those down where he usually goes to the loo, and let him get used to using the pad.  Then gradually move the pad toward the back door and outside over a period of a week, for example.

You praise him when he does it on the pad so the pad becomes his toilet, and when that's outside, you can gradually get rid of the pad.
Yeah i started to think id done wrong there as when im out with him on walks he doesnt do anything at all so i think he thinks if he does something in front of me he will get told off. Thanks for advice anyway rox i'll try it and let you know :)

This is him by the way :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:58:53 pm by Asha D »

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2009, 01:04:10 pm »
Having a dog with loads of allergies, I am very careful what I feed him on, but this seems to work well.  I vary it throughout the week -

Raw meat (chicken, lamb, rabbit etc)
Raw Bones - chicken or turkey legs (with meat on)
Raw Offal - Lambs heart or liver
Raw Fish - mackeral, tuna, sardines
Raw egg - about once a week
Cheese - inclding cottage cheese abot once a week

Raw vegetables (carrot, broccoli, celery, spring greens, cabbage etc)
Raw Fruit (pears, apples, mango, banana)

The fruit and veg I mush up in a blender and mix in with the raw meat or fish meals.

Seems to work well and the dog loves it. :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:52:54 pm by montysmum »
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2009, 01:28:58 pm »

Tinned fish is good too, but I tend to use the stuff in Sunflower oil, because you can really mix that in and let it soak into the biscuit, so they become fishy biscuits.

I can't find a list of ingredients for what's in the food you feed, Rocco, but I think it's missing her pal / instinctive behaviour rather than anything else, bless her.

Cheers ...

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2009, 02:28:37 pm »
Is it wrong I was so proud that you said she was cute?!I swear she is like my child!

Thanks so much for the advice. Her eyes do give her jip but my worry is the two doses of aneasthetic in short succession. I'd never heard about it inthe UK but maybe Oz has a different policy. Do you think that she will be ok if she has to go under again so soon?

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2009, 05:17:06 pm »
Is it wrong I was so proud that you said she was cute?!I swear she is like my child!

Thanks so much for the advice. Her eyes do give her jip but my worry is the two doses of aneasthetic in short succession. I'd never heard about it inthe UK but maybe Oz has a different policy. Do you think that she will be ok if she has to go under again so soon?

Unless she had a reaction to the anaesthetic last time she should be fine, but there's nothing wrong with being completely cautious.  :)

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2009, 05:31:18 pm »

When you say gravy, do you mean just make up a bit of bisto?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2009, 06:42:36 pm »
Try that, and sometimes it works, other times she just licks the gravy of and leave the food, cheating little git!

I do the same thing.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2009, 12:58:14 pm »
When you say gravy, do you mean just make up a bit of bisto?
Has to be Bisto or tuna juice { oil or brine }

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2009, 12:59:49 pm »

Decide after what you were saying about hording her food for later ... to feed her twice a day instead of just once { half size meals }  and it seems to be working ;)

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2009, 10:32:42 am »
Fantastic, rocco.  Whenever you're looking at a behaviour, it is normally instinctive.  Work with it, and problem solved.  :)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2009, 01:30:56 pm »
Alrite Rox,

Not sure if you remember from earlier in the thread but following losing our previous two dogs (Rocky and Honey) we got two more, a black Lab called Trigger and a Springador called Dixon.

Generally they are quite well behaved (for their age), Dixon especially is very good and as long as he has a ball he's happy and will stay with you etc.

Trigger on the other hand is a whole other ball game (check the reference ). He's very head strong and as soon as you get him in the park and let him off the lead he just tends to go where he wants to go. He isnt interested in playng catch like Dixon. That in itself isnt too much of a problem but as soon as another dog comes into the park he will head straight for it and not listen to you AT ALL with you having to physically go and fetch him.

He seems to lose all sense of hearing whilst on a walk. Now i could keep him on the lead but i just dont think they get any real exercise that way so i try and not use them when i can (besides around roads etc).

Have you got any advice on curbing this kind of behaviour or is it just young male stuff that he will grow out of?

If he doesnt come back when called and does what he likes then he does get a slap but this doesnt seem to have any impact on him, almost to the point where he will do what he likes anyway and then just come back to you and lay on his back as if waiting for his telling off.

Any advice would be welcomed as it is frustrating and there must be a better (productive) way of helping him learn.

Cheers,

Mark.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854