Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1832567 times)

Pheeny

Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2007, 06:13:18 am »
I've had so many flats that I can change a innertube in no time. :P As for dry feet I've also got a pair of winter boots so with a combination of them and the covers my feet stay dry & warm.

Pheeny

« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2007, 11:36:48 pm »
been setting up my old MTB to use to go to work (my son has been using it) adjusted the seat,handlebar height etc.Also shortened the width of the handlebar , I've left the offroad tyres on,which gives me more resistance on the road and therefore better training , as others that bike with me to work use a crossbike with road tyres.Last week,Thursday, I seemed to be about 5m off pace the whole way home only to find one of my brakes was 'on' all the way home..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 11:38:19 pm by Pheeny »

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2007, 01:54:09 am »
I seemed to be about 5m off pace the whole way home only to find one of my brakes was 'on' all the way home..

I can relate.
Last year I took the road bike on a route full of major hills after giving the drive train a complete front-to-back overhaul - everything off, degreased and re-lubed. Usually it runs like a Swiss watch after that, not a sound, purring along. But there was this odd racket at the back end, like the rear derailleur needed tweaking, and I was having to come out of the saddle on every climb, sweating bullets. Tried to remember just how many pints I'd had the night before. After an hour of this nonsense I pulled over and turned the bike upside down to take a gander. Found that when I'd re-threaded the chain I'd managed to take it over one of the jockey wheel protectors on the rear d. so for the last 30k it had been grinding over this metal bracket and worn a deep groove in it. Not a bad idea if you want to build up your fitness but stupid otherwise and it didn't do the chain or rear d. much good.

Re. all-terrain tyres on the road, can't stand them personally. Noisy, slow, no glide at all. Give me slicks every time.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Pheeny

« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2007, 09:17:02 am »

Re. all-terrain tyres on the road, can't stand them personally. Noisy, slow, no glide at all. Give me slicks every time.
I know what you mean,but as the roads I use to get to work are shitty I'm forever getting flats except when I have them on.It also gives me a good work out.

Pheeny

« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2007, 12:58:42 pm »
Has anyone installed Disc brakes and if so was it easy?

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2007, 02:58:44 pm »
I know what you mean,but as the roads I use to get to work are shitty I'm forever getting flats except when I have them on.It also gives me a good work out.
Schwalbe Marathon Plus are absolutely bulletproof. I've pulled massive pieces of glass out of mine, but nothing's got through the puncture protection yet. Not much in the way of tread, but they're fine as long as you're not riding through mud.

They are expensive, but last for several thousand miles.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Pheeny

« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2007, 09:39:55 pm »
dilemma do I upgrade my MTB with disc brakes,(probably need new wheels) or do I upgrade my road bike with new gears?
I will of course do both but which first...

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #207 on: November 11, 2007, 09:45:15 pm »
Has anyone installed Disc brakes and if so was it easy?
Never done it personaly, but there might be something on Parktools that'll help.

You getting hydro's or mechanical?

Pheeny

« Reply #208 on: November 11, 2007, 09:47:52 pm »
Never done it personaly, but there might be something on Parktools that'll help.

You getting hydro's or mechanical?
that be mech.

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2007, 09:52:40 pm »
that be mech.
I've got them on mine, didn't set them up though so not sure but they look easy enough. Bolt the discs on to the hubs with six screws and then afix the calipers to your forks (not too sure how to do that though). Are your hubs and forks disc compatible?

Pheeny

« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2007, 09:58:29 pm »
I've got them on mine, didn't set them up though so not sure but they look easy enough. Bolt the discs on to the hubs with six screws and then afix the calipers to your forks (not too sure how to do that though). Are your hubs and forks disc compatible?
Frame is OK but I think I might need new wheels.

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2007, 04:49:41 pm »
Just thought i'd post the link to bike radar incase no one's heard about it. The forum on there's great, full of people who are happy to help with anything bike related (mountain or road). Just thought i'd share it with you all.

Frame is OK but I think I might need new wheels.
What frame've you got out of intrest?

Pheeny

« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2007, 05:03:48 pm »
Just thought i'd post the link to bike radar incase no one's heard about it. The forum on there's great, full of people who are happy to help with anything bike related (mountain or road). Just thought i'd share it with you all.
What frame've you got out of intrest?
Trek 4300

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2007, 05:12:33 pm »
Trek 4300
Not too sure that you'll need to get new wheels then, after a quick google your current hubs might be alright for discs. Not 100% sure though so maybe a trip to a local bike shop might be an idea.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2007, 08:27:17 pm »
Not too sure that you'll need to get new wheels then, after a quick google your current hubs might be alright for discs. Not 100% sure though so maybe a trip to a local bike shop might be an idea.
Surely they've either got holes to screw discs onto or not?

In your shoes Pheeny, I'd sell the mountain bike and spend it all on the road bike. That's what I did with my MTB.

Pheeny

« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2007, 02:43:14 pm »
Surely they've either got holes to screw discs onto or not?

In your shoes Pheeny, I'd sell the mountain bike and spend it all on the road bike. That's what I did with my MTB.
I've got a road bike.Also got a Cyclo - Cross.

Pheeny

« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2007, 04:22:43 pm »
just been to the bike shop and they recommended Magura Brakes.As if I got Disc brakes I'd have to get new wheels.Daft sod just done himself out of about 200€. :P He's also trying to sort me out a 'special' price on top of the 10% discount I get as he's one of the sponsors of our bike club.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2007, 09:50:30 pm »
just been to the bike shop and they recommended Magura Brakes.As if I got Disc brakes I'd have to get new wheels.Daft sod just done himself out of about 200€. :P He's also trying to sort me out a 'special' price on top of the 10% discount I get as he's one of the sponsors of our bike club.
I know you've got a road bike, but I'm sure it could take a bit more pimping, eh?

What cyclocross bike you got? Surely, you don't really need an MTB if you have a real bike for off-roading.

The point of discs is the better heat dissipation and better performance with buckled rims, isn't it? They must weight a hell of a lot more than Maguras, too, don't they?

Pheeny

« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2007, 01:44:07 pm »
the MTB is actually my sons and I sometimes use it to got to work on.As for pimping up my road bike,I intend on doing just that early next year.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2007, 03:11:02 pm »
the MTB is actually my sons and I sometimes use it to got to work on.As for pimping up my road bike,I intend on doing just that early next year.
That's the spirit. What's next? I really, really, really want a pair of the new Shamals, but I'm saving my pennies for another 'bent.

Pheeny

« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2007, 03:29:07 pm »
I'll be getting a new group.Not sure on the Dura Ace or Ultegra though.

PS this is my cross bike...

well actually its not mine but its the same model as mine...

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2007, 05:42:01 pm »
The point of discs is the better heat dissipation and better performance with buckled rims, isn't it? They must weight a hell of a lot more than Maguras, too, don't they?
They also give bettr stopping power in wet/muddy conditions as the rotors are less likely to get contaminated than the rims, so evenif your wheels are caked in you still et the same stopping power you get in the dry.

You're right though they are a lot heavier, but it all depends what you want from your bike for which you get.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2007, 07:50:08 pm »

Disc systems are heavy but they are sooo much better than v's. I wouldn't touch a mountain bike without hydraulic disc brakes now.

By the way, Magura make (quite decent) disc brakes too, not just v brakes.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2007, 07:32:00 am »
Just bought another bike on Wednesday this week.  My pride and joy is a Bianchi 1885 which I've upgraded to Dura Ace and some £500 Mavic wheels but I couldn't leave the bike I saw this week looking lonely and forlorn in the shop.  I wanted a winter bike and was prepared to spend around £4-500 but saw a delightful filly in that greeny Bianchi colour and had to have her!  She is a Via Nirone with (a first for me) Campag groupset (Veloce) and was exactly double the budget I'd set myself!  I drove a hard bargain and the guy knocked £90 off but I had a pair of Look Keos stuck on and bought some Windstopper gloves so that took it back up to the full £800. 

Now I've got two lovely, beautiful Italian fillies just waiting to be rode hard.  They love it, the cheeky minxes.  I'm getting quite carried away just thinking about them down in my garage fighting for my attention. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2007, 04:23:49 pm »
She is a Via Nirone with (a first for me) Campag groupset (Veloce) and was exactly double the budget I'd set myself!

At the risk of starting a war on here, Campy have it all over Shimano in my experience. Except for cost. I've put more than 20k on a Chorus groupset without a murmur from it except for two broken gear cables. Just standard lube and very occasional adjustment. It stays in synch for months without tinkering once it's set up properly. Decided it was time to get new chainwheels after having the chain jump on me a couple of times, and then some chainsuck dropping down from the 53 to the 39. That's when I got hit with sticker-shock. Paid as much for two chain rings as I did for my first 10-speed.

Thanks for the footwear tip, Pheeny. I have to get down to the bike shop. Had two complete drenchings inside a week, shoes full of water, and now spent the last four days at home coughing up shite. You don't notice how soaked you are til you get off the bike.

P.S. you may already know this, MBE, but Campy cable-ends are slightly different and not all bike shops carry them, at least not where I live. If you do your own maintenance, or for road spares, you might want to keep a stock. No need to get the Campy originals, you'll pay triple and the no-name versions seem to last just as long.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2007, 07:18:12 pm »
At the risk of starting a war on here, Campy have it all over Shimano in my experience.

P.S. you may already know this, MBE, but Campy cable-ends are slightly different and not all bike shops carry them, at least not where I live. If you do your own maintenance, or for road spares, you might want to keep a stock. No need to get the Campy originals, you'll pay triple and the no-name versions seem to last just as long.

No. mate, didn't know that at all; this is my first Campy bike.  The thing is, I struggled to find any off-the-shelf bike with Campy on.  Some of the Italian racing thoroughbreds have it but virtually all manufacturers, and most "name" shops like Harry Halls all have Shimano-equipped bikes!  I really wanted a Campy though to experience the difference and, I have to say, my initial reaction is not one of happiness!  It's harder on my hands, which ache after about ten miles, and I have no confidence ion my hands not shooting off over the top if I hit a bump going downhill at speed if I'm on the hoods.  I know I should be on the drops but the brakes are much further forward than on a Shim and seem uncomfortable to reach when you want to cover them.  I'm hoping these are teething problems which will be sorted out by the end of this winter. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Pheeny

« Reply #226 on: November 18, 2007, 10:33:45 am »
my first bike was a Campy but after I bought my Cross which has Shimano I much prefer that.

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2007, 09:25:25 pm »
just wanted to resurrect this thread. have had an incredibly crap week or so culminating in finding out my temping contract isn't being renewed - fuckers! but off i went for a ride earlier today and boy did i feel good after :) i love riding my road bike :)
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2007, 10:17:44 pm »
just wanted to resurrect this thread. have had an incredibly crap week or so culminating in finding out my temping contract isn't being renewed - fuckers! but off i went for a ride earlier today and boy did i feel good after :) i love riding my road bike :)

That's sad, Saph, girl.  Still, look on the bright side - more time for riding!  There's more to life than work!  Still, bet you wish it'd happened in summer, eh? 

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: November 21, 2007, 03:51:15 pm »
to be honest mbe it's probabaly drier this time of year! got a few fingers in a few pies so we'll wait to see what happens.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2007, 05:29:34 pm »
question for the mountain bikers - what's the real value of upgrading disc brakes by changing to a larger diameter rotor? I currently havd avid juicys with 160mm rotors front and rear but thinking of getting a 185mm for the front. Is it worth the £35 it'll set me back for rotor & adaptor? Thanks :)

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2007, 05:51:50 pm »
question for the mountain bikers - what's the real value of upgrading disc brakes by changing to a larger diameter rotor? I currently havd avid juicys with 160mm rotors front and rear but thinking of getting a 185mm for the front. Is it worth the £35 it'll set me back for rotor & adaptor? Thanks :)
i'm not too sure, but i think it's got something do do with the added surface area creating more frictiona nd therefore better stopping power, but im not sure how this compare to replacing callipers/pads. Depends, do your juicys give you sufficent power at the moment?

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2007, 06:00:33 pm »
i'm not too sure, but i think it's got something do do with the added surface area creating more frictiona nd therefore better stopping power, but im not sure how this compare to replacing callipers/pads. Depends, do your juicys give you sufficent power at the moment?

I understand the theoretical benefit (it's actually due to a larger moment acting about the centre of the wheel and improved heat dissipation) but just wondering had made a similar upgrade and noticed a significant difference.

I'm very happy with the juicys but you can never have too much stopping power in my opinion. Only thing is, if the improvement isn't really noticable I don't want to pay £35 for it.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2007, 06:34:11 pm »
I have to say, my initial reaction is not one of happiness!  It's harder on my hands, which ache after about ten miles, and I have no confidence ion my hands not shooting off over the top if I hit a bump going downhill at speed if I'm on the hoods.  I know I should be on the drops but the brakes are much further forward than on a Shim and seem uncomfortable to reach when you want to cover them.  I'm hoping these are teething problems which will be sorted out by the end of this winter. 

I think you'll find you adjust to the hand positioning, MBE. Every time I've changed anything on my bars - brake positioning, tilt of the drops, bar-width, it's been a misery for the first one or two rides. It's amazing how sensitive we are in this respect. But after a couple of rides you adapt and wonder what all the fuss was about. At least that's my experience. The only change I never got used to was an experiment with my mountain bike handlebar width. Tucked the bullhorns in an inch or so to see if I should cut the bars down, and nearly fell off the bike first time I tried it. Couldn't steer, couldn't do shit and put them back in original position after a week.

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2007, 12:13:56 am »
so once i can afford it (i.e. ages away) i am looking at getting a goretex waterproof jacket. why are they so good? and are they worth the cost?

Pheeny

« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2007, 08:04:12 pm »
Firstly sorry to hear the bad news Saph.

I paid a visit to my local bike shop this week with regards to the brakes on the MTB. Got talked out of buying them as he reckons I don't need them for what I use the bike for,which seeing as he's lost a bit of money is good of him.So now I'm almost half way to saving up for my Ultregra group for my road bike.

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2007, 08:28:14 am »
So now I'm almost half way to saving up for my Ultregra group for my road bike.

Advice alert!  Don't be so sure Ultegra is the way to go!  I got Ultegra on my first Bianchi (get him - got two!) and during the summer, the front shifters failed completely.  The guy in the shop replaced them with Dura Ace (at cost!) and informed me that 105 was a better option as it's stood the test of time and in his opinion, was better engineered.  He reckoned Ultegra was a knee-jerk reaction to something Campag had come out with and filled the gap between 105 and Dura Ace.  Given the choice again, I'd save some money and go the 105 route myself. 

Pheeny

« Reply #237 on: November 25, 2007, 01:52:49 pm »
apparently the problems with the shifters has been solved and they have improved the Ultegra.I also like the look of the Ultegra

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 01:59:05 pm by Pheeny »

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2007, 06:45:13 pm »
Aye, looks good on the photo; you try and keep it looking good cycling in conditions like we had today!  I started out with a green bike and ended on a grey/black one! 

Pheeny

« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2007, 06:48:55 pm »
Aye, looks good on the photo; you try and keep it looking good cycling in conditions like we had today!  I started out with a green bike and ended on a grey/black one! 
I use my cross in the winter ;)