Author Topic: PL: Everton 0 vs. Liverpool 0  (Read 45419 times)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Everton 0 vs. Liverpool 0
« Reply #640 on: April 8, 2018, 05:01:48 pm »
‘Everton Fans Corner’ tweeted it. Surely even Fat Sam wouldn’t really have said that.......

According to someone in the Everton thread, it's from a parody account.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: April 8, 2018, 05:52:48 pm »
If there's one thing that yesterday taught me, it's just how much work must go into counters. Our is like organised chaos, there's no discernible pattern, but everyone knows their role. Everton were just sprinting and chasing after the ball like kids in Primary school football.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: April 8, 2018, 06:09:58 pm »
I don't care what the moaners say, I'm a Solanke fan.  Maybe this would be better in the tactics thread but the amount of moaning I've read since yesterday about Solanke, and Ings, has me a bit miffed.  He's 20 and in his limited minutes is average 3.6 shots per 90 with almost all of them in the danger zone.

That's almost elite level and reminds me a bit of a young Kane yet Solanke is definitely a better athlete than him.  You don't loan that type of talent out, you nurture it and eventually it's going to come good.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: April 8, 2018, 06:36:19 pm »
Is it a usual one?

Those generally apply...

Very usual. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Toffee

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #644 on: April 8, 2018, 10:04:03 pm »
Still couldn’t win a Derby with the game sandwiched between important CL ties and important players rested/injured.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #645 on: April 8, 2018, 11:28:06 pm »
I don't care what the moaners say, I'm a Solanke fan.  Maybe this would be better in the tactics thread but the amount of moaning I've read since yesterday about Solanke, and Ings, has me a bit miffed.  He's 20 and in his limited minutes is average 3.6 shots per 90 with almost all of them in the danger zone.

That's almost elite level and reminds me a bit of a young Kane yet Solanke is definitely a better athlete than him.  You don't loan that type of talent out, you nurture it and eventually it's going to come good.

Yeah I posted similar a couple of pages ago - his numbers are really encouraging. He’s a lot better than current perception

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #646 on: April 9, 2018, 12:07:59 am »

It's not about his numbers, though. It's about his suitability to the way Klopp wants the team to play. His reactiveness is great for pressing, but not so great for the possession and attacking phase. He's too ponderous because he doesn't think ahead, nor does he think quickly enough. That means a lot of moves that he's involved in outside of the box will die on the vine with him. Once he gets in the box, he's well capable of finishing off moves. He'd actually suit a Rodgers team more than a Klopp team, but time will tell. I'm not sold on his speed of thought.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #647 on: April 9, 2018, 01:44:45 am »
It's not about his numbers, though. It's about his suitability to the way Klopp wants the team to play. His reactiveness is great for pressing, but not so great for the possession and attacking phase. He's too ponderous because he doesn't think ahead, nor does he think quickly enough. That means a lot of moves that he's involved in outside of the box will die on the vine with him. Once he gets in the box, he's well capable of finishing off moves. He'd actually suit a Rodgers team more than a Klopp team, but time will tell. I'm not sold on his speed of thought.

I agree he’s by no means perfect for our system - but his passing numbers really are excellent so far. No reason his link up play can’t improve; he is very young for a striker
I don’t think he’s going to be ready to be a first team player for us soon but he’s a mile ahead of Ings if it’s a choice between them for a squad role next year
« Last Edit: April 9, 2018, 01:48:21 am by JackWard33 »

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: April 9, 2018, 01:51:25 am »

Good post. Tantalizing, Klopp will bring him along
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: April 9, 2018, 12:31:22 pm »

He needs playing time at that age otherwise he will not be reach his ceiling. If you wish to compare him to Harry Kane- Kane went on loan and came back a better player. He should have shown composure for the one clear effort regardless of age. Fowler and Owen displayed instinct and composure at an earlier age. Apparently he won 3 out of 17 duels. This not to have a go at him but only to show his rustiness and lack of sharpness because he isn't getting game time. He isn't ready to be our first choice attacking/ striker substitute and he needs to go out on loan.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #650 on: April 9, 2018, 12:36:16 pm »
I'd love to see what the expected goals/underlying numbers were for Akinbiyi when he had that season where he missed nearly every good chance that fell to him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: April 9, 2018, 12:52:39 pm »
He needs playing time at that age otherwise he will not be reach his ceiling. If you wish to compare him to Harry Kane- Kane went on loan and came back a better player. He should have shown composure for the one clear effort regardless of age. Fowler and Owen displayed instinct and composure at an earlier age. Apparently he won 3 out of 17 duels. This not to have a go at him but only to show his rustiness and lack of sharpness because he isn't getting game time. He isn't ready to be our first choice attacking/ striker substitute and he needs to go out on loan.

A fair assessment. Also if he's out on loan we have Origi to come back and we can see where he's at having spent a year away getting more game time.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: April 9, 2018, 05:36:55 pm »

Again I think this gets more into tactics than the actual game and probably should go in that thread.  I think Klopp is a bit more pragmatic than we sometimes give him credit for.  Kane isn't "athletic" but you can't tell me he wouldn't be starting for us.  I never watched a lot of BVB, not on TV here sans CL, when Klopp was in charge but Lewa is more of a Kane than a Firmino and the stats would back that up.  Again you can't say that Lewa wouldn't be starting if we had him.  I'm not saying Solanke will be as good as any of these players but at 20 years of age he is putting up shot numbers that show a trajectory similar to them. 

I don't think Kane is a good example for what we should do with Solanke.  Kane went out on loan multiple times, had one good spell at Milwall and then being a total bomb at Norwich and Leicester though his first full EPL season he scored 3 in 10 games while having elite shot numbers.  Even after that if it wasn't for Adebayor and Soldado being complete shit and Spuds desperate for another option he would have continued to be loaned out until sold.  He shouldn't have even been behind those two to begin with but because he doesn't "look" the part he was overlooked.  Basically it was pure luck that Kane got to where he was with Spuds but you have to give him credit for taking that opportunity.

So then if we loan out Solanke we have to buy someone that's going to cost £35m+ if you want proven production unless you want to count on Origi or Ings?  Which while they have actually scored neither have looked like they could become the player Solanke could become.  Considering the other areas of need in the squad that just seems ridiculous to me. 

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: April 9, 2018, 06:17:15 pm »
Again I think this gets more into tactics than the actual game and probably should go in that thread.  I think Klopp is a bit more pragmatic than we sometimes give him credit for.  Kane isn't "athletic" but you can't tell me he wouldn't be starting for us. 

I think Kane is brilliant, a better play than Bobby. But, I'm not sure if he was playing for us he'd look as good as he does with Spurs or that we would look a better side with Kane in it instead of Firmino. I just don't think Kane suits the way we play, I reckon it would be a mismatch with neither player nor team benefitting - similar to when we signed Robbie Keane.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: April 9, 2018, 06:35:47 pm »
Again I think this gets more into tactics than the actual game and probably should go in that thread.  I think Klopp is a bit more pragmatic than we sometimes give him credit for.  Kane isn't "athletic" but you can't tell me he wouldn't be starting for us.  I never watched a lot of BVB, not on TV here sans CL, when Klopp was in charge but Lewa is more of a Kane than a Firmino and the stats would back that up.  Again you can't say that Lewa wouldn't be starting if we had him.  I'm not saying Solanke will be as good as any of these players but at 20 years of age he is putting up shot numbers that show a trajectory similar to them. 

I don't think Kane is a good example for what we should do with Solanke.  Kane went out on loan multiple times, had one good spell at Milwall and then being a total bomb at Norwich and Leicester though his first full EPL season he scored 3 in 10 games while having elite shot numbers.  Even after that if it wasn't for Adebayor and Soldado being complete shit and Spuds desperate for another option he would have continued to be loaned out until sold.  He shouldn't have even been behind those two to begin with but because he doesn't "look" the part he was overlooked.  Basically it was pure luck that Kane got to where he was with Spuds but you have to give him credit for taking that opportunity.

So then if we loan out Solanke we have to buy someone that's going to cost £35m+ if you want proven production unless you want to count on Origi or Ings?  Which while they have actually scored neither have looked like they could become the player Solanke could become.  Considering the other areas of need in the squad that just seems ridiculous to me.

Kane isn't athletic?

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: April 9, 2018, 07:52:23 pm »
Kane isn't athletic?

I put it into quotation marks, obviously he is athletic just as any other professional athlete is.  Does his physical attributes stand out in comparison to his peers?  I'd say no and Inglethorpe agreed as well.

I think Kane is brilliant, a better play than Bobby. But, I'm not sure if he was playing for us he'd look as good as he does with Spurs or that we would look a better side with Kane in it instead of Firmino. I just don't think Kane suits the way we play, I reckon it would be a mismatch with neither player nor team benefitting - similar to when we signed Robbie Keane.

Kane would look the same for any other team in that he's a high volume shooter who scores a lot of goals.  Maybe the way he receives the ball would change but he's world class at creating space for his own shots.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: April 9, 2018, 08:04:56 pm »
I put it into quotation marks, obviously he is athletic just as any other professional athlete is.  Does his physical attributes stand out in comparison to his peers?  I'd say no and Inglethorpe agreed as well.

There are several physical attributes, though. And not every athlete - in fact, very few of them - have ALL of them at a high level.

Kane stands out for his capacity for workrate. He's a full-on player who doesn't slow down or give up. I think by "athletic" you are really saying "speed", no? Because he has stamina and strength to a good degree.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: April 9, 2018, 08:32:41 pm »
There are several physical attributes, though. And not every athlete - in fact, very few of them - have ALL of them at a high level.

Kane stands out for his capacity for workrate. He's a full-on player who doesn't slow down or give up. I think by "athletic" you are really saying "speed", no? Because he has stamina and strength to a good degree.

If Kane didn't develop his ability to recognize space and how to get his shot off in that space then what you're describing is basically Shane Long or a host of other strikers up and down the divisions.  He stands out because he shoots a shit ton from good positions and scores a lot of them to boot. 

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: April 9, 2018, 09:08:21 pm »
If Kane didn't develop his ability to recognize space and how to get his shot off in that space then what you're describing is basically Shane Long or a host of other strikers up and down the divisions.  He stands out because he shoots a shit ton from good positions and scores a lot of them to boot.

Okay, great. Not sure how that's relevant to anything I've said, though :)

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: April 9, 2018, 09:31:30 pm »
Okay, great. Not sure how that's relevant to anything I've said, though :)

That Kane is "athletic" or that you don't think Solanke could fit in a Klopp system?  This is getting a bit off the rails anyway.  I'll be buying real estate on Solanke island for now though, welcome to join me or not.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: April 9, 2018, 10:12:35 pm »
That Kane is "athletic" or that you don't think Solanke could fit in a Klopp system?  This is getting a bit off the rails anyway.  I'll be buying real estate on Solanke island for now though, welcome to join me or not.

I'm holding back. Land prices can go down as well as up, so I'm holding my powder dry for now ;D

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: April 9, 2018, 10:37:00 pm »
I'm holding back. Land prices can go down as well as up, so I'm holding my powder dry for now ;D

LOL

That's fine, I'll be over here keeping the belief for now!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #662 on: April 9, 2018, 10:39:25 pm »
......aaaaaaaaaand scene!

Roll on tomorrow night.

The reds are coming up the hill, boys..............!