Author Topic: LFC books  (Read 23569 times)

Offline Kenrick_66

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Books on Liverpool FC
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2021, 11:06:22 am »
That's a really good book, the Dave Hill one. Another good one from that era is All Played Out - not Liverpool but England at Italia 90. A great book - not initially about Liverpool - is Journey To Wembley by Brian James based on the 1976/77 FA Cup. He's a journo who chooses a team to follow in the very first round and then stays with them until they get knocked out and then he hooks up with the victors etc etc. We meet Liverpool in the 4th round when Carlisle go to Anfield. I don't think I'm giving spoilers to say it doesn't end well for us! But, rather like Easter, there's a resurrection a few days later when James follows us to Rome for the big redemption. It's a great read, proper journalism. Some great insights into the money footballers made then which now seems miniscule. I bought it back in 1978 and read it in about a day because I couldn't put it down.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2021, 09:52:58 pm »
Is there a definitive book about the history of Anfield? One with images going back to the pre-covered Kop? I’m doing a project covering the history of the stadium and I’ve properly dredged the internet of every image there is pre 1960 I’m sure of it. But I want more!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2021, 01:26:41 am »
Waiting on mine to arrive:

The Voice of Anfield: My Fifty Years with Liverpool FC
Sephton, George

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline dbelle4500

• Boys Pen
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2021, 08:11:56 am »
Is there a definitive book about the history of Anfield? One with images going back to the pre-covered Kop? I’m doing a project covering the history of the stadium and I’ve properly dredged the internet of every image there is pre 1960 I’m sure of it. But I want more!

Anfield the Illustrated History by Mark Platt with Williams Hughes - SevenOaks was published  in 2015 and has many old photos.

Offline dbelle4500

• Boys Pen
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2021, 08:16:03 am »
Hi,

A new Liverpool book is free on Amazon Kindle this weekend (Friday 23rd -  Sunday 25th)

David Plumbley - Red Delight: Liverpool's 150 Greatest Matches

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0993VFN77

So help yourself and tell your friends !

Last day !

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2021, 03:03:51 pm »
Anfield the Illustrated History by Mark Platt with Williams Hughes - SevenOaks was published  in 2015 and has many old photos.

Cheers for that will check it out

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2021, 12:31:28 pm »
I think it's already been mentioned, but I have to give a shout out again for Alan Edge's 'Faith of Our Fathers'. As an 'old school' Kopite I related to this book more than any other....a wonderful read.

Also, one of my other favourites is 'The Kop : The end of an era' by Stephen Kelly which is an absolute delight ! Apart from a short intro from Stephen himself, the rest of the book is told from the stories of over a hundred supporters, players, managers, reporters etc themselves - many of which are absolute gems !

I re-read both these books every now and again, just for a bit of nostalgia.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #207 on: July 28, 2021, 01:53:55 pm »
Quiet Genuis, by Ian Herbert about Bob, was very well-written bio, good support through interviews and set Paisley's work against both the background of events in Liverpool/Britain while working and Shankly's legacy and background presence. Worth a read.

Red Machine by Simon Hughes. Hughes is very popular on these boards, so my criticism is muted as as not to offend. Was mildly disappointed with the book, was written from the "things were so much better back in the day" perspective, with a series of interviews with players discussing how much they drank, fought and generally misbehaved. If goalposts for jumpers is your thing, you might very well enjoy this book.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 29, 2021, 06:56:01 pm »
Quick question for those who have read it, is at the end of the storm worth buying? I need some reading material for an upcoming trip to Alaska

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
The Untouchables
« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2021, 12:06:14 am »
Mods, Please move to  a different section if you think that is required.

I cannot recommend highly enough this remarkable book (The Untouchables : Anfield's Band of Brothers : The story of our double champions in the 1920s).

Even the biggest football clubs experience peaks and troughs when it comes to their sporting success; and the further back you go in time, the harder it is to get a real grasp of just how great the achievements where when, for example, Huddersfield Town were English champions three times in a row in the 1920s, a feat which was equalled by Arsenal in the following decade. One of Liverpool Football Club’s own halcyon periods also came in the 1920s when after a finishing position of fourth in the first two seasons following World War One, the club took the Division One title and then retained it, something only The Wednesday club from Sheffield had previously done in the 20th century. Nobody is still alive who saw these champions play in two forty-two match league seasons which saw six men play in 38 or more First Division fixtures in 1921-22 with the same number playing in 40 or more a season later. Dick Forshaw, Elisha Scott and Tom Bromilow appear in both sextets but how much do we really know about these giants of the game or the team-mates who joined them on their road to glory ? The answer, sadly, is not too much up to this point because it was only really from the 1960s and onwards that football biographies, autobiographies and annuals started to be published with any regularity until you reach the plethora of publications which are available today and that is without even considering the internet and social media. But even though nobody alive now saw Dick, Elisha, Tom and the others play, they are still remembered by those who knew them as a grandfather, an uncle, a family friend or just someone who was well-known locally for something special he did a long time ago. The authors acknowledge the extraordinary help given to them by relatives of amongst others and in no particular order Walter Wadsworth, Harry Chambers and Tom Bromilow. Jeff and Kieran also admit that being able to get really close to these men through their surviving relatives was a hugely rewarding as well as revealing experience. Their desire to re-create a bygone but glorious age of “the game, the club and the people” has been spectacularly successful. Although the outstanding Liverpool team of the early-1920s was a cosmopolitan mix of the countries which made up the British mainland and the island of Ireland, choosing to particularly follow the lives of three local lads from the “second city of the Empire” (Wadsworth, Bromilow and Danny Shone) was a master-stroke in that it  enables readers to understand that the pride of representing your local team was as important a century ago as it has been to the post-Millennium superstars like Carragher, Gerrard and Alexander-Arnold. The extraordinarily-researched chronicles of the World War One experiences of Walter, Tom, Danny and others like Harry Chambers, Jock McNab and Dick Forshaw would have merited a book on its own never mind combining that with the life of a professional footballer. The Imperial War Museum doesn’t know what it missed out on! These brave men “endured hardships few of us could ever imagine”.

No team in any sport can be successful unless there is also another team behind the playing team. Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley weren’t the first LFC employees to have “surrounded themselves with people who were loyal and who addressed gaps in their own skill sets”. Our co-authors delve into the lives of the 1920s backroom staff as meticulously and comprehensively as they do with any of the players. At a time when being a football manager was very different to what those words are known to mean today, George Patterson had been Tom Watson’s assistant and he was definitely more suited to the administrative side of the game than the playing side. The man who succeeded him, David Ashworth, had had several years at both Oldham Athletic and Stockport County before he arrived at Anfield in December, 1919. Ashworth could see, perhaps in the same way that Shankly could exactly forty years later, “a once great club punching well below its weight” and he relished the opportunity to change that club’s fortunes. The loyal lieutenants he chose to join him on that journey included former players Charlie Wilson and Joe Hewitt, who had both won League championship medals wearing Liverpool red in 1901 and 1906 respectively. Another man, Billy Connell, had been the chief trainer at Anfield during the war years. If they didn’t already know every nook and cranny of Anfield before Ashworth arrived, all four of them soon would!

We would still know very little about these early legends of LFC’s life were it not for the diligent and painstaking detective work carried out for the purposes of this book by Jeff Goulding and Kieran Smith, who have gone above and beyond what we might normally expect from a researcher in getting to learn as much as they could about who these men were, where they came from, what made them tick and what they went on to achieve, which was considerable. As the title of the book declares, they really did become a very special Band of Brothers who earned and deserved the “Untouchables” tag by winning forty-eight and drawing twenty-one of the eighty-four league matches they played during two extraordinary seasons in which they hit the top spot in December 1921 and beat off all pretenders to the crown they craved so much for themselves before, in 1922-23, they led the division from the 6th match in mid-September until the finishing line was crossed in April.

These men must not be forgotten. The first half of the 1920s was an astonishing period in LFC’s life and it is only right and proper that, as we reach the centenary of their achievements, the players’ stories can be told in full at last.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:08:25 am by kriss »

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: The Untouchables
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2021, 12:38:37 am »
Thanks for highlighting this kriss it sounds really interesting, I’ve just ordered a copy
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC books
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2022, 04:23:42 pm »
Yes, I would second that. I'm not a massive fan of books about football but this was a great read. 

I reckon it needs an update though - 2 more matches. The first to illustrate our decline under H&G (pick any one of several miserable defeats towards the end of the Hodgson era - Wolves at home maybe). Then a second to symbolise our subsequent resurgence - Leicester away last season would be my pick.
Only came across this a couple of weeks ago and just finished reading, definitely worth a look (£3.99 on Kindle). Particularly strong I thought on the Shankly-Paisley transition and some details of the tactical evolution.

I wouldn't bother with a game highlighting the H&G decline; that can be covered in the way he combines the context of the selected game with the years leading upto it (and the immediate effect of it). 2013/14 would deserve a game - one of the spring hammerings, or even the Palace game. Then Klopp - Barcelona, probably, though a few others in contention.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline CN23

• Has one so long that he can't hold it himself......yeah right.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #212 on: February 2, 2022, 05:44:42 pm »
Mods... please move if appropriate.

NOT GERMAN, I'M SCOUSE ...an overseas Red autobiography released next week.

www.notgermaniamscouse.com

Not German, I’m Scouse is the hilarious, emotional and compelling life story of German Liverpool supporter Carsten Nippert, and the first ever autobiography of a Red from abroad.

As a young boy, Carsten was fascinated by the Kop singing You’ll Never Walk Alone on a Pink Floyd LP. When he watched Liverpool for the first time on TV in their awe-inspiring all-red kit in the European Cup Final of 1977, he was mesmerised and hooked for life.

His teenage years were marked by despair and frustration as rare TV highlights and a scratchy radio reception offered the only access to his beloved Liverpool. 

Fear characterised his first visits to Anfield in the 1980s in the heyday of hooliganism, when he found himself surrounded by vitriolic Manchester United fans in the Annie Road away end. When he finally stood on the Kop for the first time, he was intimidated by the Reds around him as he didn’t understand a single word of Scouse.

His whole life was dominated by his unbearable passion, his emotionally blackmailed mother bearing the brunt of his obsession. She had to procure a black-market ticket for a sold out European Cup final and a hotel room when her 16-year-old son announced he would travel there ticketless and sleep rough anyway. And she suffered a nervous breakdown when she was burdened, through his will, with moving his corpse to Liverpool and scattering his ashes around Anfield if she outlived him.

Girlfriends were either brainwashed into his Liverpool religion or simply had to accept it as his number-one priority. One female friend, an Oxford exchange student with a traditional Tory upbringing, eventually lost her temper after he repeatedly challenged the British upper-class establishment and the politics of Margaret Thatcher.

The treatment and stereotyping of Scousers by the German and English media after the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters shaped Carsten’s personal perspective. His unconditional loyalty to the football club developed into a profound identification with the people and the city of Liverpool.

Adventurous European Cup and UEFA Cup final trips took him to the terraces of Heysel, a nine-goal thriller in Dortmund, the ‘Miracle of Istanbul’, outwitting riot police and ‘bunking in’ in Athens, a sleepless round-trip to Kiev and an unforgettable party in Madrid.

When Carsten came across Gerry Marsden backstage after a concert, he personally got to know the man who more than 50 years earlier had brought You’ll Never Walk Alone into Liverpool supporters’ lives.

With the league title finally coming home in 2020, a new chapter in Carsten’s life has only just begun.
Not German, I’m Scouse is the remarkable love story of an overseas supporter who adopted the Liverpool spirit and became a true Scouser at heart.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 3, 2022, 08:32:28 am »
^ nice one Carsten, good luck

COMING SOON: 7 February 2022 / Hardcover / 288 pages / Not suitable for Evertonians and Mancs  ;D

Offline CN23

• Anny Roader
« Reply #214 on: February 8, 2022, 10:27:22 pm »
Thanks!  ;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #215 on: February 9, 2022, 11:51:08 pm »
Mods... please move if appropriate.

NOT GERMAN, I'M SCOUSE ...an overseas Red autobiography released next week.

www.notgermaniamscouse.com

Not German, I’m Scouse is the hilarious, emotional and compelling life story of German Liverpool supporter Carsten Nippert, and the first ever autobiography of a Red from abroad.

As a young boy, Carsten was fascinated by the Kop singing You’ll Never Walk Alone on a Pink Floyd LP. When he watched Liverpool for the first time on TV in their awe-inspiring all-red kit in the European Cup Final of 1977, he was mesmerised and hooked for life.

His teenage years were marked by despair and frustration as rare TV highlights and a scratchy radio reception offered the only access to his beloved Liverpool. 

Fear characterised his first visits to Anfield in the 1980s in the heyday of hooliganism, when he found himself surrounded by vitriolic Manchester United fans in the Annie Road away end. When he finally stood on the Kop for the first time, he was intimidated by the Reds around him as he didn’t understand a single word of Scouse.

His whole life was dominated by his unbearable passion, his emotionally blackmailed mother bearing the brunt of his obsession. She had to procure a black-market ticket for a sold out European Cup final and a hotel room when her 16-year-old son announced he would travel there ticketless and sleep rough anyway. And she suffered a nervous breakdown when she was burdened, through his will, with moving his corpse to Liverpool and scattering his ashes around Anfield if she outlived him.

Girlfriends were either brainwashed into his Liverpool religion or simply had to accept it as his number-one priority. One female friend, an Oxford exchange student with a traditional Tory upbringing, eventually lost her temper after he repeatedly challenged the British upper-class establishment and the politics of Margaret Thatcher.

The treatment and stereotyping of Scousers by the German and English media after the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters shaped Carsten’s personal perspective. His unconditional loyalty to the football club developed into a profound identification with the people and the city of Liverpool.

Adventurous European Cup and UEFA Cup final trips took him to the terraces of Heysel, a nine-goal thriller in Dortmund, the ‘Miracle of Istanbul’, outwitting riot police and ‘bunking in’ in Athens, a sleepless round-trip to Kiev and an unforgettable party in Madrid.

When Carsten came across Gerry Marsden backstage after a concert, he personally got to know the man who more than 50 years earlier had brought You’ll Never Walk Alone into Liverpool supporters’ lives.

With the league title finally coming home in 2020, a new chapter in Carsten’s life has only just begun.
Not German, I’m Scouse is the remarkable love story of an overseas supporter who adopted the Liverpool spirit and became a true Scouser at heart.

Sounds terrific mate. Well done - though do hope your mum recovered from her trauma! Will request it for my birthday in May to coincide with us clinching the quadruple. Am also putting your post up in its own thread as anyone who gets off his backside and writes a book deserves a thread of their own. Let’s hope the word gets around.

:)

Offline Barrowred

• Kopite
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2022, 09:43:30 am »
Just ordered it, looking forward to the read.

Offline CN23

• Anny Roader
« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2022, 12:30:26 pm »
Sounds terrific mate. Well done - though do hope your mum recovered from her trauma! Will request it for my birthday in May to coincide with us clinching the quadruple. Am also putting your post up in its own thread as anyone who gets off his backside and writes a book deserves a thread of their own. Let’s hope the word gets around.

:)

Thanks !!!

And yes, my mum has recovered from that trauma as well as from all the others... being hit by a bottle on her head before our semi final in Munich 81, getting hold of a black market ticket for me for block Z in Heysel 85...

Offline CN23

• Anny Roader
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2022, 12:31:03 pm »
Just ordered it, looking forward to the read.

Thank you... hope you enjoy my adventures! :-)