Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2867007 times)

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World
« Reply #18800 on: January 18, 2022, 01:11:21 pm »
Common sense though, the more you win the more you do well the more wages go up.We’ve just signed our top players on new deals, by the time their ready to sign a new one who knows what the status will be in terms of their roles and positions/importance to the squad. Sadio Mane and Firmino position for example isn’t as strong as it was two years ago.
But payroll going up due to winning more is not the same as it going up due to one staff member's mega increase shifting the wages Overton window for everyone.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18801 on: January 18, 2022, 01:14:33 pm »
Its not like the assets (players) are increasing in value in comparison to the extra revenue clubs are raking in?

Not done the maths to any great degree, but the clubs revenue back in 1994 was £40m, in the last accounts before COVID it was £533m. Approx 13.5x.

That year we bought Ruddock for £2.7m and Clough for £2.5m, on wages around £8k a week. This seems about right across the league in terms of the top earners.

In terms of fee's, 13.5x lets say £3m fee's back in 1994 gets us to around £40m now, and 13.5x £8k wage gets us to £110k a week.

A £400k a week wage would be 50x what the highest were on in the league back in 1994.

The numbers are even more stark if you go back just 1 or 2 years more before the PL.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18802 on: January 18, 2022, 01:24:10 pm »
What seems to be forgotten in all of this is that Mane and Firmino are yet to sign new deals and both have a similar amount of time remaining as Salah.

Even if you accept that Mo’s contract getting an astronomical increase doesn’t provoke demands from those who have already signed their deals, it sure as hell will from Mane and Firmino who will make the valid point that they’ve been pivotal (albeit not equally as pivotal) to Liverpool’s success over the last few years. If we give Mo say , 400k per week, we’re basically sanctioning a similar increase (albeit not to the same amount) for Mane and Firmino should we wish to keep them. It’s why I think none of the 3 have signed as Mane and Firmino’s agents would be sensible to tell them to wait and see what happens with Mo’s contract before signing anything.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18803 on: January 18, 2022, 01:49:02 pm »
Its an obscene, twisted, distorted market that we can't really compete in though and people need to accept this.

Nor should we to be honest. I'd rather the club dropped down a couple of divisions than start paying ridiculous wages in an attempt to keep up with the cheats in Manchester/Paris/Newcastle or whoever else sells their soul for prizes. The club should stand for more than that. Pay what we can afford and if players don't accept it then move them on.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #18804 on: January 18, 2022, 01:55:14 pm »
You can't really use Mo Salah as the straw that breaks the camels back, because if not him it'll just be someone else. We're at the top level and are going to have to pay relatively top level wages, regardless. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle already.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18805 on: January 18, 2022, 02:02:00 pm »
You can't really use Mo Salah as the straw that breaks the camels back, because if not him it'll just be someone else. We're at the top level and are going to have to pay relatively top level wages, regardless. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle already.

I mean we pay massive MASSIVE wages already, £325.5m a year massive.

There are quite clearly players in there on obscene amounts of money which rival all but maybe the stupidly paid players. The club cannot be accused of not competing with the best payers, that's for sure, but the problem is it's not a bottomless pit of money and there is a limit somewhere no matter if you're the 100th best player or the best player in the world.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18806 on: January 18, 2022, 02:06:19 pm »
I mean we pay massive MASSIVE wages already, £325.5m a year massive.

There are quite clearly players in there on obscene amounts of money which rival all but maybe the stupidly paid players. The club cannot be accused of not competing with the best payers, that's for sure, but the problem is it's not a bottomless pit of money and there is a limit somewhere no matter if you're the 100th best player or the best player in the world.

makes me (almost) think we should trim the squad to about 18 really strong players on top wages - and then fill in the rest with the Elliot, Jones, Gordon's.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18807 on: January 18, 2022, 02:08:20 pm »
makes me (almost) think we should trim the squad to about 18 really strong players on top wages - and then fill in the rest with the Elliot, Jones, Gordon's.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18808 on: January 18, 2022, 02:08:24 pm »

Then we'll have the same people complaining the squad is too small and we don't have the options City do.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18809 on: January 18, 2022, 02:09:57 pm »
Nor should we to be honest. I'd rather the club dropped down a couple of divisions than start paying ridiculous wages in an attempt to keep up with the cheats in Manchester/Paris/Newcastle or whoever else sells their soul for prizes. The club should stand for more than that. Pay what we can afford and if players don't accept it then move them on.

:thumbup
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #18810 on: January 18, 2022, 02:13:12 pm »
Then we'll have the same people complaining the squad is too small and we don't have the options City do.
Ideally they'll realize how many players we have in the squad right now who are simply not trusted.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #18811 on: January 18, 2022, 02:22:00 pm »

This debate has become nonsensical
The club already earns and spends ridiculous money and has done for decades
We’ve won honors recently by spending and paying ridiculous money that’s the nature the sport

Honestly don’t know what you’re all trying to prove at this point
We’re one of the richest clubs in the world, a few - and only a few - are richer
We can stand for not being owned by a country or a gangster (which is clearly good) but beyond that these arguments and debate belong to the 1980s

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #18812 on: January 18, 2022, 02:23:07 pm »
While I agree with you weren't you all in for the Super League which would literally have been the opposite of this? Quite an about turn, if so.

Apologies if I've mixed you up with someone else
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #18813 on: January 18, 2022, 02:24:13 pm »
The number one rule for the club is to avoid spiralling debt like what happened to Leeds long ago. They chased the dream and it nearly destroyed them.

We are competing against cheats who can easily outspend us by multiples and trying to compete by paying higher and higher wages is not sustainable. Instead we will have to cash in at times and try to find the next Salah……..which is a very tough ask.

If you want to compete with City long-term then you will have to accept bringing in similar owners. But then the whole league becomes a two-tiered nonsense.

If Mo wants the best wages then he will have to move and we’ll have to suck it up.

Nicely summarised. This is the big picture I'm afraid. Without some kind of spending reforms we can't hope to compete. City and now Newcastle will just ride off into the sunset.

Despite what I've just said, I'd try to find a solution for Salah. It doesn't necessarily mean the wage structure falls apart. Mo is a one-off in the squad and the rest will have to accept that.

Going forward though, our only chance to properly finance squad restructure looks to be via some massive windfall, ala Coutinho, so what the hell do we do?
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #18814 on: January 18, 2022, 02:31:03 pm »
This debate has become nonsensical
The club already earns and spends ridiculous money and has done for decades
We’ve won honors recently by spending and paying ridiculous money that’s the nature the sport

Honestly don’t know what you’re all trying to prove at this point
We’re one of the richest clubs in the world, a few - and only a few - are richer
We can stand for not being owned by a country or a gangster (which is clearly good) but beyond that these arguments and debate belong to the 1980s

Think some people are just sick of the predominant and corrosive effect of big money on football. And we can't forget that if things continue this way then there's a good chance that an ownership like City's potentially awaits us as well. If FSG ever decide to sell it's hard to imagine anyone but a country/regime affording their price.

It's true that the genie is not only out the bottle but the bottle itself has been recycled a hundred times, but I guess there's a streak of romanticism in some of us that harks back to football as a simpler game less predicated upon super-wealth and super-spending.

I'm not saying there's a clear answer or, indeed, any way of going back to an ante-diluvian, pre-Fall set -up. There probably isn't. We're heading for continued hyper-inflation until heat death is achieved, and there's a long way to go to that.

Meh, signimuppaythemanwhathewants etc

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #18815 on: January 18, 2022, 02:32:48 pm »
But payroll going up due to winning more is not the same as it going up due to one staff member's mega increase shifting the wages Overton window for everyone.

It's not a given. Not sure a football clubs 1st eleven relates particularly well to a more regular organisation.

I think most of us would agree that if anyone tried to use Salah as a yardstick, then we should let them walk if they wanted. I don't have an issue with Salah being a special case. He's widely regarded as the best in the world at what is the most lucrative skill - scoring goals.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #18816 on: January 18, 2022, 02:38:56 pm »
It's not a given. Not sure a football clubs 1st eleven relates particularly well to a more regular organisation.

I think most of us would agree that if anyone tried to use Salah as a yardstick, then we should let them walk if they wanted. I don't have an issue with Salah being a special case. He's widely regarded as the best in the world at what is the most lucrative skill - scoring goals.
Even if we let them walk, the replacements we look to buy will use the same new reference point for the start of their salary negatiations and will expect and demand something higher than they previously would have. There'll be a knock on effect whichever way you look at it.

Things is I'm not even saying that we won't pay the best player a mega salary; I'm just saying that the after-effects will have to be factored in. Maybe after factoring them in they will decide to go ahead. Fine. But that factor cannot be ignored, and it could, conversely, be the point that millitates against a mega salary.

Ultimately we don't have the facts to be able to propound in the way some are.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18817 on: January 18, 2022, 02:39:30 pm »

What if he's not in 12 months?

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18818 on: January 18, 2022, 02:45:32 pm »

That's pretty much the size of City's squad. The issue is that they can repeatedly buy £50m and £60m players for every position, and if it doesn't work out, just lash another £50m until they get someone competent enough. We can't do that and pay the highest wages at the same time. Not sure why people can't/won't grasp that.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18819 on: January 18, 2022, 02:51:46 pm »
People need to stop inventing situations in which players who just signed new contracts suddenly demand more, because it's nonsensical. If their agents thought they could get more somewhere else they'd already be pressuring them to move, but they aren't, which makes it self evident what the real situation is.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #18820 on: January 18, 2022, 02:55:33 pm »
Think some people are just sick of the predominant and corrosive effect of big money on football. And we can't forget that if things continue this way then there's a good chance that an ownership like City's potentially awaits us as well. If FSG ever decide to sell it's hard to imagine anyone but a country/regime affording their price.

It's true that the genie is not only out the bottle but the bottle itself has been recycled a hundred times, but I guess there's a streak of romanticism in some of us that harks back to football as a simpler game less predicated upon super-wealth and super-spending.

I'm not saying there's a clear answer or, indeed, any way of going back to an ante-diluvian, pre-Fall set -up. There probably isn't. We're heading for continued hyper-inflation until heat death is achieved, and there's a long way to go to that.

Meh, signimuppaythemanwhathewants etc

Excellent use of antediluvian in open play :) ....
I think people are harkening back to the 1960s to be honest .. everything else is just artifical hair splitting when it comes to the money
Supporter cognitive dissonance is an amazing thing too - we're not in the same boat/as bad as City or Chelsea but we paid the wages and spent the fees to compete with them and everyone was pretty happy with the result ..

This has got out of hand as a debate - we have a certain budget (in wage terms its top 10 in the world but not top 3) and the debate should be how to spend it and how much of it our best player should get
This existensial / wither football stuff is good pub chat but not really relevant when it comes to Salah's salary - we're in the world and market we're in and have to make deicisons from there

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:00:12 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #18821 on: January 18, 2022, 03:03:20 pm »
We better get his £400k a week contract sorted ASAP. There's talks that Fernandes is demanding 400k+ a week from United to sign a new contract  :o

Once Mo and his representatives see this news, they'll be demanding 600k a week to sign the dotted line....

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18822 on: January 18, 2022, 03:36:18 pm »
Even if we let them walk, the replacements we look to buy will use the same new reference point for the start of their salary negatiations and will expect and demand something higher than they previously would have. There'll be a knock on effect whichever way you look at it.

Things is I'm not even saying that we won't pay the best player a mega salary; I'm just saying that the after-effects will have to be factored in. Maybe after factoring them in they will decide to go ahead. Fine. But that factor cannot be ignored, and it could, conversely, be the point that millitates against a mega salary.

Ultimately we don't have the facts to be able to propound in the way some are.

Will they?  Why didn't Jota then when he came in, or Konate this season, or Virgil when he joined us, Allison, etc - Jota came in to the club at a time when Mane was on 100k, Bobby 180k, Mo 200k - and was happy to take 90k without playing hardball, and asking for closer to what Bobby and Mo were earning.  Ditto with Konate comparing to VVD.  As far as I can see, the 2 players we have offered the most wages to, as signings were Thiago (was already on 200k at Bayern, we offered him the same, and were able to afford it as the transfer fee was much lower than we'd expected) and Milner (140k - was a free signing which is why we could afford it). 

When we broke the world record fee for a defender and gk (Big Virgil and Allison) - neither of them became one of the top 5 paid players at Liverpool, but yet they still came and realised that the way most football clubs (and this, most of the time, does apply to Chelsea and Man City btw) would be able to re-negotiate in 1-2 years IF they were showing their value.  Which they did, and the club subsequently gave them pretty big wages as a reward for doing as well.  Why would someone brought in to replace Mane, say, not accept the same - obviously here we are assuming that player isn't Mbappe, Haaland, etc - already world class players in the top 3 in the world, but more of the profile of a Salah, Jota, Allison when we bought them

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #18823 on: January 18, 2022, 03:39:27 pm »
Thread's off its cake...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #18824 on: January 18, 2022, 03:46:18 pm »
What seems to be forgotten in all of this is that Mane and Firmino are yet to sign new deals and both have a similar amount of time remaining as Salah.

Even if you accept that Mo’s contract getting an astronomical increase doesn’t provoke demands from those who have already signed their deals, it sure as hell will from Mane and Firmino who will make the valid point that they’ve been pivotal (albeit not equally as pivotal) to Liverpool’s success over the last few years. If we give Mo say , 400k per week, we’re basically sanctioning a similar increase (albeit not to the same amount) for Mane and Firmino should we wish to keep them. It’s why I think none of the 3 have signed as Mane and Firmino’s agents would be sensible to tell them to wait and see what happens with Mo’s contract before signing anything.

Not forgotten. It's been mentioned a few times actually. Many suspect both Mané and Bobby will be free to leave, so in practice they will be offered modest contracts and told "take it or leave it". Perhaps Firmino sees out his contract till the end and Saido is sold in the summer. Income that will be needed to refresh the squad.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #18825 on: January 18, 2022, 03:50:40 pm »
Will they?  Why didn't Jota then when he came in, or Konate this season, or Virgil when he joined us, Allison, etc - Jota came in to the club at a time when Mane was on 100k, Bobby 180k, Mo 200k - and was happy to take 90k without playing hardball, and asking for closer to what Bobby and Mo were earning.  Ditto with Konate comparing to VVD.  As far as I can see, the 2 players we have offered the most wages to, as signings were Thiago (was already on 200k at Bayern, we offered him the same, and were able to afford it as the transfer fee was much lower than we'd expected) and Milner (140k - was a free signing which is why we could afford it). 

When we broke the world record fee for a defender and gk (Big Virgil and Allison) - neither of them became one of the top 5 paid players at Liverpool, but yet they still came and realised that the way most football clubs (and this, most of the time, does apply to Chelsea and Man City btw) would be able to re-negotiate in 1-2 years IF they were showing their value.  Which they did, and the club subsequently gave them pretty big wages as a reward for doing as well.  Why would someone brought in to replace Mane, say, not accept the same - obviously here we are assuming that player isn't Mbappe, Haaland, etc - already world class players in the top 3 in the world, but more of the profile of a Salah, Jota, Allison when we bought them
I think you've missed the point completely. We're not talking about specific amounts, we're talking about relative amounts with respect to the wages being seen to be paid by the club. The 'wage landscape' if you like.

Whatever Jota's agent asked for when he joined, he would have asked for a different amount if the wage landscape at the club had been different. It's the same basis by which a player going from a PL club to a lower league club has to react to the very different wage landscape by expecting and asking for less, and how a player going from a lower league club to a PL club will automatically start negotiations at a much higher level.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18826 on: January 18, 2022, 03:51:05 pm »
Why would they - the majority of them *HAVE* received pay bumps over the past 12-18 months whilst Salah hasn't.  If they then come back, after a pay bump themsleves, to compain that someone else had exactly the same treatment and had a pay bump, so they should another one then surely it is *them* being greedy.  Also a deal like you mentioned above would be about the worse financial mismanagement of a football club in history!

Well I say "would" as a means of speculation. You don't think it makes sense for salaries to be within a certain percentage range of whoever is top earner?  You can't be renegotiating contracts all the time whenever somebody receives a wage bump; and it also means wage hikes have to be kept within a reasonable range to prevent shattering the wage structure. In that sense the wage structure is self regulating - unless a player comes along who happens to be one of the best in the world.

As for greed, that's the modern game for you. It's only greed from the eyes of us peons who see football players being paid way more than they could ever hope to need or use. For them, they are at the elite end of a game awash with money, and want to be paid the going rate for players of their calibre.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #18827 on: January 18, 2022, 03:52:22 pm »
Thread's off its cake...
True enough, and I'm aghast at myself for having added to that.

Back to 'Mo is boss' posts for me.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #18828 on: January 18, 2022, 05:12:06 pm »
I think you've missed the point completely. We're not talking about specific amounts, we're talking about relative amounts with respect to the wages being seen to be paid by the club. The 'wage landscape' if you like.

Whatever Jota's agent asked for when he joined, he would have asked for a different amount if the wage landscape at the club had been different. It's the same basis by which a player going from a PL club to a lower league club has to react to the very different wage landscape by expecting and asking for less, and how a player going from a lower league club to a PL club will automatically start negotiations at a much higher level.

Jota's agent is one of the biggest parasites in football and that's why these arguments all fall down. No one is going to be asking for pay rises and new contracts because Salah is getting one, there's a reason a bunch of them got new contracts before him. The rest won't be getting new contracts and those that signed new contracts are very likely on their last deals at the club too.

The other debates about him being greedy and a mercenary and footballers wages are just plain and stupid - we even had someone saying we can't compete with the biggest clubs - what kind of bullshit is that - we are one of the biggest clubs in the world, we're probably 5th by revenue (unless City have bypassed now) and the 4 above us aren't oil clubs (Mancs, Real, Barca, Bayern). It's highly likely he'll sign, mental gymnastics in here is amazing.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18829 on: January 18, 2022, 05:38:46 pm »

No - you've missed the point by completely misunderstanding the role a "wage structure" has on a new player into the team, and what kind of wage they can negotiate - almost NONE.  You are pretending that if Salah was on, say 250k, instead of 200k, that Jota's demand would have been more - that is simply not the case, or if it were the club would have laughed at his agent pretending his client deserves more just because 1 player is paid more. 

There is, however, plenty of evidence that the pay of a new player, mostly, is dependant on 2 things - the size of the transfer fee (so the cheaper, the easier it is to get a higher wage) and their current wage (so if they are on a higher wage, it will be difficult to sign them on less); turnover/revenue of the club also can count.  Jota was on 40k at Wolves - he came to us on 80k.  So you might say "oh that's a big pay rise" and it was - but his fee was less than other (often bigger named players) were pulling in, so we could afford to add say 20k to what we would ordinarily pay (20k a week, across 5 years, is only 5m), and it's still less than comparable players in our squad and similar clubs'.  Milner on the other hand was on closer to 80k at City, but when we signed him we gave him a much larger raise up to 140k - because his transfer was absolutely free, despite being at a time when wages were about 25% less than when we bought Jota, and in a position where you don't earn as much in general (MF vs Attack).  If we had to buy him for the market value of about 20m, then he'd havbe probably been offered (and been happy with) closer to 100k

Let's be clear here - the agent's main pay day is NOT the contract renogotiation but at the point of transfer - so using the "greedy agent" logic, then they want a new player to arrive for more money in the form of the fee, and less wages (especially as then when they do re-negotiate 2-3 years down the line, the increase they get their client is larger, so more money again for them).  They would get far more money if they signed shorter 3-4 year contracts, and then moved their client after every 2, then do what the likes of Salah wants and sign a (bigger) contract and stay another 3-5 years (and possibly get another contract at that point).

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18830 on: January 18, 2022, 05:49:31 pm »
(20k a week, across 5 years, is only 5m)

:lmao

:butt
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Darkness

• Tedious WUM, loves betting on Man U
  • Main Stander
« Reply #18831 on: January 18, 2022, 05:55:08 pm »
If it can't be sorted I think we should just start the transition into a rebuild get maximum fees for the likes of Salah and Mane e.t.c over the coming seasons to rebuild the team with young talents in certain areas to bring the overall age down to challenge again in 2-3 seasons, City is going to very hard to stop for Pep final two seasons anyway. 

Man Utd pretty much went into transition rebuild during 2003-2006 and then took advantage of the next cycle to dominate. Holding onto all our Key players post 30 is just counterproductive and will result in diminishing returns.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #18832 on: January 18, 2022, 06:17:30 pm »

I think you’re still living in the 60’s mate! The club generates hundreds of millions every year and we are owned by billionaires! £5m in the football world isn’t a massive amount.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18833 on: January 18, 2022, 06:24:03 pm »
While I agree with you weren't you all in for the Super League which would literally have been the opposite of this? Quite an about turn, if so.

Apologies if I've mixed you up with someone else

I was 100% for a super league just not the type put forward. I'd be for relegation and promotion and clubs to have their own TV deals which would be far fairer than the current set up. We can't compete going forward with the sport washing clubs and i will walk away from the club if we are bought by someone the ilk of the City or Chelsea owners.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18834 on: January 18, 2022, 08:47:15 pm »

You are clearly not someone who has a clue about modern football transfers, or the state of the global game.  5m across FIVE year is 1m a year - a tiny, tiny % of our annual income. 

Also, that 5m across the 5 years was in reference to the relative cheapness (40mish) of the initial transfer when compared to other 40m players like Joelinton (who is on the same as Jota ALSO) - so the fact we saved a good 10m on a transfer fee for Jota in hindsight, means that 5m extra (again, across the 5 years of his contract) is peanuts.  The total spend on Jota, therefore, across the 5 years is close to 64m (40m fee, plus 4.7m a year for 5 years).  So that 5m extra is only 7.8% of the total expenditure - also, for reference, that total spend across 5 years equates to about 250k a week - what the club could theoretically pay someone who they bought for free (or developed) for the same net spend. 

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18835 on: January 18, 2022, 08:50:50 pm »
How do we become self sufficient, is it by competing at the top, where all the money is?

With that, do we get Champions League without Mo Salah last year? Do we fuck

If they sold the club now they'd make about 10x their investment back, we're in a healthy position, and as a fan I want to compete for the biggest trophies in the world, you do that by paying the market rate for the best players in the world when they want to be at your club. Don't know how anyone could defend the owners if he goes to be honest.

That is a very good point. If FSG have reached their very maximum and can't go beyond that, they should sell the club to someone who is capable of taking it from here and pushing us to the next level.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18836 on: January 18, 2022, 09:09:52 pm »
Where would he go if FSG say sorry cant afford it?

- Real
- Bayern
- City
- Man Utd
- PSG
- Newcastle
- Chelsea

- Depending on what he is asking for, these clubs at a guess would be the the only ones who would pay more than us in wages and stump up the transfer fee. Think Real and Bayern I would assume would be Mo's choice, although they are the least likely of the bunch to have or put up the money. others I doubt would interest him because they are either meh compared to Liverpool or he just wouldnt, and given he clearly loves the club, i think there will be a compromise that works for both parties and he stays.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18837 on: January 18, 2022, 09:10:58 pm »
You are clearly not someone who has a clue about modern football transfers, or the state of the global game.  5m across FIVE year is 1m a year - a tiny, tiny % of our annual income. 

I understand modern football transfers and the state of the global game.

I just think the amounts of money involved are disgusting.

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18838 on: January 18, 2022, 09:44:53 pm »
Where would he go if FSG say sorry cant afford it?

- Real
- Bayern
- City
- Man Utd
- PSG
- Newcastle
- Chelsea

- Depending on what he is asking for, these clubs at a guess would be the the only ones who would pay more than us in wages and stump up the transfer fee. Think Real and Bayern I would assume would be Mo's choice, although they are the least likely of the bunch to have or put up the money. others I doubt would interest him because they are either meh compared to Liverpool or he just wouldnt, and given he clearly loves the club, i think there will be a compromise that works for both parties and he stays.

Bayern allegedly pay Lewandowski close to 20 million Euro per season, aka 15 million GBP. That is not even 300,000 per week. Lewandowski arrived there aged 26 or 27 (hope I am getting all these numbers right, not a Bayern supporter here!). I cannot see them pay four or five hundred thousand a week for a 30 year old player unproven in their team. Bayern is a self sustaining club and they do have a wage structure in place. And although they have a huge income, they do not have a Saudi prince or anyone else randomly throwing money at them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:47:28 pm by lamad »

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18839 on: January 18, 2022, 09:51:44 pm »
Bayern allegedly pay Lewandowski close to 20 million Euro per season, aka 15 million GBP. That is not even 300,000 per week. Lewandowski arrived there aged 26 or 27 (hope I am getring all these numbers correctly, not a Bayern supporter here!). I cannot see them pay four or five hundred thousand a week for a 30 year old player unproven in their team. Bayern is a self sustaining club and they do have a wage structure in place. And although they have a huge income, they do not have a Saudi prince or anyone else randomly throwing money at them.

Yep, i did say unlikely and it's just speculation on my part, should have left Bayern out of it. Further reduces Mo's options. Infact  its Liverpool or oil clubs, thats why I think there will be a compromise and a deal worked out that suits both parties.