Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 Forgotten Heroes - Part VI - Peter Thompson  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
#SHANKLY100 Forgotten Heroes - Part VI - Peter Thompson
« on: January 13, 2003, 03:20:58 pm »
FOROTTEN HEROES -  PART VI by Roper (c)2003

Peter Thompson.

When a sprightly, if rather distant championship challenge withered in April 1963 - the Reds 1st spring in the top flight for 9 years - Bill Shankly made a momentous decision. He earmarked Peter Thompson as the one crucial ingredient missing from his title-winning recipe and signed the Preston winger, in the face of opposition from Juventus, Everton, and Wolves, for a club record fee of £40,000. A year later Bill's mission was accomplished and the new man had played a thrilling part in the 1st of many triumphs before his Anfield days were done.

Peter Thompson was a soccer sorcerer, a pleaser of crowds and a teaser of full backs. On his day he brought to the game a dancers grace and the daring of a matador, but when the Muse was not with him he was prone to over -elaboration and could be the most frustrating man on the park. Unlike certain other gifted players, however, he offered no hint of the 'prima donna' and he was never afraid of hard graft.

Despite being right footed, Peter came into the side of the left flank where Alan A'Court and Kevin Lewis had both been judged deficient during the previous campaign. He made an eye catching debut at Ewood Park, running at the Blackburn defenders, making them twist and turn in their efforts to stay with their elusive opponent, and rendering the offside trap too perilous to contemplate. As autumn turned to winter and the points piled up, Peter and Ian Callaghan, whose more direct approach was in marked contrast to Thompson's jinking and swaying, became the most formidable wing partnership in British football.

The Deepdale man's impact at Anfield could hardly have been greater, though there were those who said he should have scored more goals and that his final pass too often went astray. The fact was that his fierce shot could be a wayward weapon but his crosses, while not always matching the brilliance of his approach play, were as reliable as those of his contemporaries. There was also a theory that Peter should switch to the right to encourage him to reach the byline and cross with his favoured right foot instead of being forced infield as he was on the left, but such a scheme took no account of the excellent Callaghan.

The nitpickers were predictably notable by their silence when Peter capped his 1st richly rewarding term as a Red with his most devastating display to date. He scored twice and turned the Arsenal defence inside out as Liverpool made certain of the title, drubbing the Gunners 5-0 in front of an ecstatic Kop.

Peters progress continued as Shankly's men lifted the FA cup in 1965. His personal highlight was waltzing past John Hollins and Marvin Hinton to grab the 1st goal in the semi final against Chelsea with a fearsome left footed drive between Peter Bonetti and his near post. A 2nd championship medal soon followed but the nearest Peter came to further cup success was in 1971 when he came on as a substitute to breathe life into a hitherto dull final which Arsenal won to clinch the double. By then he was plagued by knee trouble and after alot of time on the treatment table he moved to Bolton in November 1973. Surprisingly in view of past injuries, he was able to put in four spirited years before retiring.

One perennial gripe of Liverpool fans was Peters banishment for long periods to the international wilderness. After starring in Brazil in 1964 his appearances were cruelly curtailed by Alf Ramsey's decision to do without wingers, though he did represent his country as late as 1970. But in the final analysis, it is in the Red shirt that Peter Thompson will be remembered by fans. As and entertainer, a showman, and one of the finest of his time.

Shanks once said "if your feeling tired Boys, pass the ball to Peter and let him go for a run with it". Peter was a man who could dribble for 90 minutes, and still have enough left in the tank for more. As most of you will know dribbling is an artform, and a very tiring one at that. Jinking left and right, stepping over the ball, and changing pace and direction can be an extremely tiring excersise. Peter was born to do it, and love it.

A true Liverpool Great....Mr Peter Thompson.

Games - 404 ( 8)
Goals - 54
16 England Caps.

Liverpool 1963/64 - 1971/72

Roper

:)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:07:29 pm by MichaelA »

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
Re:Forgotten Heroes - Part VI - [Is this what we need?]
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 07:43:12 pm »
^^^^ trying to save this from fallin into the black hole^^^

hoonin

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 08:00:30 pm »
I'll read it in a bit. Got to go and cook me tea!

"Is this what we need?" - Are you referring to the dodgy hairstyle in the photo? If so, then NO! ;D

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 08:10:28 pm »
lol  ;D

Offline Ian_Ian_K

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 09:04:04 pm »
My first ever games were in the 66/67 season and Tommo was my first real Reds hero.
My memories of him are clouded by the ignorance of childhood, as I was obviously just a kid then, but I can't remember any defender ever getting the best of him in those Anfield games.
Sometimes after beating his man, he would take too long to make up his mind what he was going to do next, and the same man would be back in front of him. It wouldn't matter to Tommo, who would promptly beat him again.
Because of my blinkered, misguided childhood opinions, I even convinced myself he was better than George Best, but as I got older I realised he wasn't THAT good, but he was closer than most to matching the brilliance of Best.
Alf Ramsey is a hard man to criticise. The fact that he won the WC speaks for itself, and tends to render all arguments about wingers immaterial. But he said the main reason he pursued his "wingless wonders" policy, was because there were no good wingers about at the time.
On this point he was wrong, because Peter Thompson was brilliant!  ;)

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2003, 09:13:15 pm »
What a write up!....What a picture!.....A fantastic player!...I remember being inconsolable when Ramsey sent him home from Mexico 70....Great stuff Roper!

Offline Ian_Ian_K

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2003, 11:41:28 pm »
Tommo, Tommo,
He's off to Mexico,
With Tommy Smith and Emlyn Hughes,
Tommo,
Tommo Tommo Tommo.  ;D

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2003, 12:15:31 am »
What a player. genious.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2003, 01:06:46 pm »
Liverpools SECOND twisty turny, not a patch on Liddell, but better than Smicer.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2003, 01:10:00 pm »
true Karl.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2003, 02:32:16 pm »
Scored some useful goals for us as well, the one against Chelsea in  the FA Cup semi was a corker
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re: #SHANKLY100 Forgotten Heroes - Part VI - Peter Thompson
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:08:00 pm »
Liverpools SECOND twisty turny, not a patch on Liddell, but better than Smicer.