Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5735376 times)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Artettacking Front Four?
« Reply #55160 on: March 11, 2020, 07:36:30 pm »
Exactly. Nobody sets out to be unbeaten. A season with 19 wins and 19 draws for example would only be a moderate Top 4 season for a Top club. But you're 'unbeaten'. How can anyone rate that over 95+ points with 1 or 2 losses?

Teams go out to get the maximum points they can, no team sets out to be 'unbeaten' at the start of any season.

Your example is right. But this was a season where Arsenal won the league & remained unbeaten. So there was nothing moderate about it.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55161 on: March 11, 2020, 07:57:45 pm »
Your example is right. But this was a season where Arsenal won the league & remained unbeaten. So there was nothing moderate about it.

Fans of other teams will always try to downplay a feat that they cant achieve themselves, no one said it was meaningless when Liverpool were close to do it, only afterwards.  This is just the nature of football fans.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55162 on: March 11, 2020, 08:19:00 pm »
Fans of other teams will always try to downplay a feat that they cant achieve themselves, no one said it was meaningless when Liverpool were close to do it, only afterwards.  This is just the nature of football fans.

I can remember lots of posts of people saying that whilst we should rightfully go for it,they (myself included) weren't arsed about the invincibles tag,especially considering we should smash your points total and will smash your number of wins and GD.

Not that you shouldn't bang on about it until the end of time.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #55163 on: March 12, 2020, 12:20:03 am »
Hmm I think I specifically said in my post that I don't want to downplay what was an extraordinary achievement. But I do think it is matchable, and will be matched, when a team sets out to attempt to do so. The difference between Arsebal in their unbeaten season and Liverpool this season is that Arsenal were happy to play for draws, because that was kind of normal back then. LFC this year were trying to win every game in order to not suffer the same fate as last season (97 pts!!), plus the 30 yrs monkey thing; and such things have to take their toll. And did.

I don't have the inside knowledge but I don't think Arsenal set out to remain unbeaten that season did they? I think what happened is that a point was reached when remaining unbeaten became a thing and thereafter the season was managed to ensure the best chance of it happening. Or is that demonstrably wrong?

That's why I think the feat will be matched; one day some quirky manager will decide that they are going to try and match it, and manage their season accordingly. They may not succeed the first time, but they will at some point.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55164 on: March 12, 2020, 12:45:41 am »
Hmm I think I specifically said in my post that I don't want to downplay what was an extraordinary achievement. But I do think it is matchable, and will be matched, when a team sets out to attempt to do so. The difference between Arsebal in their unbeaten season and Liverpool this season is that Arsenal were happy to play for draws, because that was kind of normal back then. LFC this year were trying to win every game in order to not suffer the same fate as last season (97 pts!!), plus the 30 yrs monkey thing; and such things have to take their toll. And did.

I don't have the inside knowledge but I don't think Arsenal set out to remain unbeaten that season did they? I think what happened is that a point was reached when remaining unbeaten became a thing and thereafter the season was managed to ensure the best chance of it happening. Or is that demonstrably wrong?

That's why I think the feat will be matched; one day some quirky manager will decide that they are going to try and match it, and manage their season accordingly. They may not succeed the first time, but they will at some point.

You're right after we won the league we were happy with draws as we knew we were 6 matches away from going the whole season unbeaten. but Liverpool have had this league won for some time, and being unbeaten became a thing, Liverpool fans started bringing it up, not just the media, and you didn't lose at Watford because you were going for a win, you were just outplayed massively on the day.
No matter how good you are, you are always going to have an off day sometime in a league season, that's why its so hard to replicate, that team went through the off days without getting beat.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #55165 on: March 12, 2020, 01:32:31 am »
You're right after we won the league we were happy with draws as we knew we were 6 matches away from going the whole season unbeaten. but Liverpool have had this league won for some time, and being unbeaten became a thing, Liverpool fans started bringing it up, not just the media, and you didn't lose at Watford because you were going for a win, you were just outplayed massively on the day.
But that's the point; we were not just going for ''unbeaten'' we were going for win every game, after the Utd draw. And we had the first league in 30 years burden on our shoulders as well. These things must have taken quite a toll, but we kept finding a way...until we just couldn't. The fail point was reached.

Also I think you guys were probably ''happy'' with some draws before you'd wrapped up the title as well, because that was not unusual back then; a draw against a strong side, esp. away was deemed a good result. It's only because of City's doping and massive raising of the bar, that draws were viewed as almost as bad as losses for us this season. We knew we had to be almost perfect after last season's ''failure'' (97 pts and only second, my days!).

But I'm not really making excuses; we failed in terms of that particular record, without doubt, whereas Arsenal managed it, and hats off to you. But I do wonder if this had been just another title challenge instead of the first for 30 years, and if we didn't have the City behemoth to worry about, making us try and win every game...well, who knows.

I'm certainly disappointed we didn't manage it; I'm not going to pretend it wouldn't have been amazing to do it, and I hope we have another chance in years to come. I'm not much for all the gazillions of ''records'' seemingly on offer, but unbeaten and highest points total are two I would like to be able to boast (also winning 38/38).

No matter how good you are, you are always going to have an off day sometime in a league season, that's why its so hard to replicate, that team went through the off days without getting beat.
I agree, but whatever combination of application and good fortune allowed Arsenal to achieve the feat, could surely strike again, at some point, so another team will eventually notch up the same feat. I hope it's us.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:36:29 am by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55166 on: March 12, 2020, 08:49:13 am »

Wenger was asked a year or 2 before about the possibility of his team going unbeaten for a while season, and he replied, something along the lines of why not? Then when Arsenal suffered their next defeat he was ridiculed in the press / media & basically told it could never happen.

So perhaps for him, the players & the fans it became more a personal reason. Not so much an initial target, but as the season went on, & the questions were asked again, & his previous quote brought back up, there would have been a build up of external pressure as well as from within.

Everyone is correct, the main target is winning the league. However, to get to that stage, while still unbeaten with 6 games to go or whatever it was, is unique. Like Pep done with the 'Centurions', you want to keep the players motivated, so the unbeaten record became the next target, so yeah the end of season became managed to get that achievement.

As I alluded to earlier, perhaps Arsenal their fans are more proud of it because of the ridicule Wenger got for suggesting it was possible in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:57:36 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55167 on: March 12, 2020, 10:41:36 pm »
Arteta is COVID19 positive.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55168 on: March 12, 2020, 10:44:19 pm »

Whole team and back room staff self isolating at this point.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55169 on: March 12, 2020, 11:48:08 pm »
Good job the game with city was called off.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55170 on: March 13, 2020, 12:41:44 am »
Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.
I no longer care if we don’t play again this season. Just want everyone to be safe, not worth the risk.

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55171 on: March 13, 2020, 01:36:05 am »

Nothing like a positive result to build on.......

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55172 on: March 13, 2020, 06:58:46 am »
Won't make a difference, Arsenal's entire squad has been in quarantine all season.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline GunnerParker

• Main Stander
  • Invincibles
« Reply #55173 on: March 15, 2020, 08:14:27 am »
Won't make a difference, Arsenal's entire squad has been in quarantine all season.
Besides Auba, Saka and Leno. We've actually looked half decent since Arteta has come on.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55174 on: March 25, 2020, 08:49:35 am »
We didn't half feck up some transfers.

Just been reading Fabregas talking about the potential Xabi Alonso transfer back in 2008. Benitez wanted to sell for Barry of course we all knew that, & Arsenal were in for Alonso.

Cesc said Alonso was texting him every day desperate to come, Fabregas was speaking to people at the club to try & push through the deal, & in the end we lost out because we would only go to £15M & you wanted £18M. How stupid were we, imagine a prime Alonso & prime Fabregas in the same midfield, with 18 year old Wilshere just breaking through. Pisses me off thinking about that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:02:55 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55175 on: March 25, 2020, 09:41:14 am »
That podcast with fabregas is a good listen to be honest

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55176 on: March 27, 2020, 08:47:34 pm »
BT Sport showing a programme about David Rocastle at the moment.
Magnificent footballer, absolute gem, sadly missed.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55177 on: March 28, 2020, 09:21:58 am »

Seen it before, very sad story. He was an excellent player.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55178 on: March 28, 2020, 09:27:41 am »

I can remember him being in that Arsenal team we had such a rivalry with in the Kenny era and then had vague recollections of him at Leeds. What was the story there? How come he was sold at a relatively young age?

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55179 on: March 28, 2020, 09:54:29 am »
The Rocastle step over, one of the best players to do that piece of skill.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55180 on: March 28, 2020, 09:25:03 pm »
I miss football discussions, when everyone would pile on here taking the piss out of Arsenal, after we lose at home to Brighton.....To think I used to get depressed then....

What a muppet.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55181 on: April 1, 2020, 10:15:03 am »
I can remember him being in that Arsenal team we had such a rivalry with in the Kenny era and then had vague recollections of him at Leeds. What was the story there? How come he was sold at a relatively young age?

Think he had a cbronic problem in his knee, from a fairly young age. He had missed large chunks of previous seasons with it. Don't think George Graham had set out to sell him, but he got an offer from Howard Wilkinson that him & the board decided to take.

Apparently he was devastated to leave. Local boy, brought up through the ranks, playing with many of his players that broke through the same time as him, & his childhood friend Ian Wright was now there banging goals in.

Think the move affected him as a player, and it also affected Arsenal as a team with how it happened. They had finished the 91-92 season strongly, unbeaten since January, playing some exciting football with youth & pace with Ian Wright who had joined in September finishing as leagues top scorer. We were expected to push on & challenge in the 92/93 season. Instead they stuttered & ended up finishing 10th, although we did win the Cup Double that season, only highlighting the under performance in the league.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2020, 10:25:49 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55182 on: April 1, 2020, 10:32:23 am »
I miss football discussions, when everyone would pile on here taking the piss out of Arsenal, after we lose at home to Brighton.....To think I used to get depressed then....

What a muppet.

If it makes you feel any better, we just won the league and Champions League double on Pro Evo on the PS4. Aubameyang was sold for Timo Werner, who smashed it.

My nephew is getting quite wound up by the thought of Aubameyang being sold in the summer/autumn, think it makes perfect sense though given his age. Tough call though, he is an outstanding player.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55183 on: April 14, 2020, 07:36:15 pm »
What’s all this about Arsenal players not accepting a pay cut? They’ve been giving 80% for years now.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55184 on: April 17, 2020, 12:48:14 pm »
SO if these go and sign a £40m odd player now you can't imagine the players who have reluctantly taken a paycut will be happy.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55185 on: April 18, 2020, 07:25:29 am »
Arsenal players are set to be the first in the Premier League to agree to a pay cut after being offered Champions League qualification incentives.
The Gunners players will take a 12.5% wage cut.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #55186 on: May 29, 2020, 12:55:30 pm »
What's Troopz been like during the shutdown?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55187 on: May 29, 2020, 01:36:25 pm »

Higher than ever?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #55188 on: May 29, 2020, 03:37:32 pm »
Higher than ever?

Even higher than Aubameyang's hairline

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55189 on: May 29, 2020, 03:38:11 pm »
BRUUUUUUHHHHHHHH let that hair go!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #55190 on: May 29, 2020, 04:34:10 pm »
That looks shopped, I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55191 on: May 29, 2020, 05:04:07 pm »
his hair is hilarious

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55192 on: June 7, 2020, 09:29:45 am »
We've had our first run out, against Charlton yesterday (was going to say in a closed door game but they all will be, doh).

https://twitter.com/TheAFCnewsroom/status/1269348222692188160?s=19

Im trying to cling on to some slither of hope that we might benefit from this enforced break & mini pre season so Arteta can further get his ideas across. Still hoping we can catch City cold first game back & can try & sneak into 5th. Looking like a long shot given our fixtures mind you.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #55193 on: June 8, 2020, 02:22:21 pm »
We've had our first run out, against Charlton yesterday (was going to say in a closed door game but they all will be, doh).

https://twitter.com/TheAFCnewsroom/status/1269348222692188160?s=19

Im trying to cling on to some slither of hope that we might benefit from this enforced break & mini pre season so Arteta can further get his ideas across. Still hoping we can catch City cold first game back & can try & sneak into 5th. Looking like a long shot given our fixtures mind you.

As are we.

Arsenal beating City and having the prem wrapped up at Goodison on the first game back will be a jolt back to reality. ;D
:D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55194 on: June 10, 2020, 06:02:32 pm »
Genius from Arsenal to lure Man City into a false sense of security by losing to Brentford.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55195 on: June 10, 2020, 09:53:35 pm »
Genius from Arsenal to lure Man City into a false sense of security by losing to Brentford.

No shame in that. Brentford are a decent side who play some good football. Their first team do anyway. I’ve been to see them a few times this season and have vaguely heard of one of the scorers and never heard of the other two. :D

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #55196 on: June 16, 2020, 11:31:38 pm »
Anyone else think this lot might get something from tomorrow's game? Based on nothing more than gut feeling I think they will be fitter and more up for it. City preoccupied with the Champion's League.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #55197 on: June 16, 2020, 11:39:50 pm »
I never expect Arsenal to get anything. I just expect them to crumble. I’d fancy the chances of plenty of other clubs ahead of them  :D No idea about fitness leves of either side.

Online plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55198 on: June 17, 2020, 07:38:33 am »
Even higher than Aubameyang's hairline

He looks ready! It's clear to see that he never left his house at least :D

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55199 on: June 17, 2020, 08:27:48 am »
I never expect Arsenal to get anything. I just expect them to crumble. I’d fancy the chances of plenty of other clubs ahead of them  :D No idea about fitness leves of either side.

Im an Arsenal fan & I think like this. Always think the worst....its pointless even hoping for the best now!  :[.  :D