Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5735455 times)

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Artettacking Front Four?
« Reply #55120 on: March 3, 2020, 04:28:14 pm »
A couple of weeks ago they were calling radio stations saying going unbeaten is bigger than another CL win.

They were idiots then. The champions league is the pinnacle of club football, a buzz that can't be beaten. The points record is a better achievement than going unbeaten and there's not a chance in hell I'd pick that over a CL either.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55121 on: March 3, 2020, 04:29:42 pm »
Those Liverpool fans don't speak for all of us. I've been saying all season long that I'd rather win the EC than go unbeaten. In fact, had it not been 30 years since we won the league, the CL would be just as important this year or more so than the league. Defending it is very difficult in modern football, only Real have done it, and I've thought that us being able to do that [and also get to our 3rd EC final consecutively] would propel us further in the history books.

now, there are plenty of people on here who won't agree with me, but there's nothing like winning the EC. And that will never change in my mind.

Its hard to argue where you're coming from, its a very valid argument. Going unbeaten isn't even a trophy, and cant be compared to winning the European cup.
But its something that may never be repeated again so that historic value carries a lot of weight.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55122 on: March 3, 2020, 04:37:53 pm »
Definitely Invincibles , no one else has ever done it.

But that's purely because I don't see us (or anyone else)ever going unbeaten a whole season again.
I think with a bit of luck we could fluke a CL one day.

Preston did it, and did it first too!

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #55123 on: March 3, 2020, 04:45:16 pm »
Preston did it, and did it first too!

Doesn't count.

Football was invented in 1992.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55124 on: March 3, 2020, 04:51:54 pm »
Its hard to argue where you're coming from, its a very valid argument. Going unbeaten isn't even a trophy, and cant be compared to winning the European cup.
But its something that may never be repeated again so that historic value carries a lot of weight.

I don't blame you for cherishing it, as you're the only side to have done it in modern era. But given that you've never won the EC, imo it would have meant more for your club. Particularly as you would have been the first London club to do so at the time

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #55125 on: March 3, 2020, 05:05:20 pm »
I don't want to demean the Arsenal unbeaten season, as I think it was a fine achievement, but honestly it definitely will be repeated. We got three quarters of the way there this season and if perhaps we had no other irons in the fire or we hadn't had a winning record to chase as well (basically a fancy way of saying if we'd been happy to play for draws) then I reckon we'd have done it.

More pertinently, one reason why it almost never happens is that sides don't set out to go unbeaten; they chase victories and thus risk losses where a more conservative approach could mean fewer wins and more draws but no losses. It'd be interesting to see how a quality side with a quality manager might fare if they deliberately set out  to repeat the feat.

I also think at some point a side will win every single game. Hugely difficult, for sure, but if it's doable it will happen at some point.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55126 on: March 3, 2020, 05:07:12 pm »
Doesn't count.

Football was invented in 1992.

If football was invented in 1892, it would rule out Preston.

Online Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55127 on: March 3, 2020, 10:41:30 pm »
If football was invented in 1892, it would rule out Preston.
;D

I also think at some point a side will win every single game. Hugely difficult, for sure, but if it's doable it will happen at some point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

> The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type any given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2020, 10:43:36 pm by Bullet500 »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55128 on: March 3, 2020, 10:51:34 pm »
That's 100% true, but I am in the UK and that Arsenal team gets talked about a lot more than other English teams that won CL, because it stands alone with this unbeaten record.
I can only answer what feels better if we ever win the CL, and its only natural that Liverpool fans now say it doesn't matter to go unbeaten because its no longer possible. A couple of weeks ago they were calling radio stations saying going unbeaten is bigger than another CL win.

There is no way any real Liverpool fan wanted a unbeaten season over a CL.

European football is in our blood. Clearly these lot were not real fans.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #55129 on: March 3, 2020, 11:08:28 pm »
Had they lost a game, they wouldn't have made it into this thread. So it wasn't all for nothing.

My point is that the quality of a team isn't always defined by what they win. The reputation of the club is.
The Liverpool team under Rodgers that nearly won the league were better than the 05 team, that won CL, even though they won nothing.
Everyone knows that Steaua Bucuresti are the real invincibles; they are actually centurion invincibles because they went 104 games unbeaten in the Romanian league, and 112 unbeaten at home! Imagine not losing a home league game for over six and a half years or any league game for well over three years! Before anyone says they were in a shit league, they began their incredible run right after winning the European Cup in 1986, and lost the final in 89 and the semi-final in 88. They even won the Super Cup in 86 as well!

Incidentally, poor old Dinamo Bucuresti had a similar fate to us last season in the 88/89 season. They won 30, drew 2, lost 2 of 34 games, with a GD of +100 and still lost the fucking league to Steaua by three points when it was two points for a win!  ;D The fact Steaua won all 17 home games by a score of 69-9 didn't help I suppose.

The previous season, Dinamo had 30 wins 3 draws and 1 loss, a GD of +82 and lost the league by a point. At least they went on to win the league in 89/90 by a point, which they definitely deserved!!!
« Last Edit: March 3, 2020, 11:15:24 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #55130 on: March 3, 2020, 11:42:21 pm »
Those Liverpool fans don't speak for all of us. I've been saying all season long that I'd rather win the EC than go unbeaten. In fact, had it not been 30 years since we won the league, the CL would be just as important this year or more so than the league. Defending it is very difficult in modern football, only Real have done it, and I've thought that us being able to do that [and also get to our 3rd EC final consecutively] would propel us further in the history books.

now, there are plenty of people on here who won't agree with me, but there's nothing like winning the EC. And that will never change in my mind.

spot on

its possible to go unbeaten all season and win zilch, christ it's even possible to get relegated with 38 draws, but don't worry because you'd get a golden envelope for your parachute payment cheque
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #55131 on: March 4, 2020, 01:05:45 pm »
;D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

> The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type any given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.
Richard Keys?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #55132 on: March 5, 2020, 11:02:54 am »
Torreira with a broken ankle from Monday.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #55133 on: March 5, 2020, 11:18:52 am »
Torreira with a broken ankle from Monday.
Has he booked it in for a break?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55134 on: March 5, 2020, 11:28:17 am »
Has he booked it in for a break?

Getting it done first thing. Then he’s booked in for an argument at 11.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55135 on: March 5, 2020, 11:32:28 am »
Good tackle, and no reason for him to stay down, according to that muppet Jenas

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #55136 on: March 5, 2020, 11:42:01 am »
Getting it done first thing. Then he’s booked in for an argument at 11.
Is that a five minute argument, or the full half hour?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55137 on: March 5, 2020, 11:43:00 am »
Is that a five minute argument, or the full half hour?

:D

Knowing Torreira it’s the full half hour.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #55138 on: March 7, 2020, 10:15:15 am »
Must have his Grandad Ian Wright's boots on..

https://streamable.com/fgfo3

D'Margio Wright Phillips goal against Arsenal in the FA youth cup.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55139 on: March 7, 2020, 10:57:01 am »
Must have his Grandad Ian Wright's boots on..

https://streamable.com/fgfo3

D'Margio Wright Phillips goal against Arsenal in the FA youth cup.

Please don’t tell me that’s Shaun’s son? If so, then christ I’m getting old.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55140 on: March 7, 2020, 10:59:47 am »

It is.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55141 on: March 7, 2020, 11:27:24 am »

:o
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55142 on: March 7, 2020, 09:34:59 pm »
Richard Keys?
This used to get auto-corrected to "hairy handed half-wit" a long time ago.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #55143 on: March 8, 2020, 01:04:32 am »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55144 on: March 11, 2020, 12:53:19 am »
Game at city tomorrow postponed.

Apparently some arsenal players and staff came into contact with olympiakos owner in the EL 2 weeks ago, he has since caught corona, wonder if all our games will be postponed for 2 weeks....
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:41:55 am by The North Bank »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #55145 on: March 11, 2020, 01:54:46 am »
Surely that should be 2 weeks from the potential source of infection... if they test clear, they can play.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #55146 on: March 11, 2020, 02:26:38 am »
Game at city tomorrow postponed.

Apparently some arsenal players and staff came into contact with olympiakos owner in the EL 2 weeks ago, he has since caught corona, wonder if all our games will be postponed for 2 weeks....

What about the West Ham game 4 days ago?
Arsenal say they’ve been quarantine for 12 days but just played Arsenal
YWNA

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #55147 on: March 11, 2020, 03:08:01 am »

It’s 14 days on Thursday since Arsenal played Olympiacos so if they are clear then the West Ham players should be too

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55148 on: March 11, 2020, 07:18:49 am »

Don't forget they played Portsmouth, who then went on to play Peterborough & Fleetwood. You can see this soon starts to become a nightmare.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #55149 on: March 11, 2020, 07:57:52 am »
How are Wolves allowed to play Olympiakos tomorrow night?

Will the PL then say they can’t play West Ham on Sunday? As they would have been in contact with players who maybe had contact with the owner?

They all need to get on the same page assp.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55150 on: March 11, 2020, 08:23:38 am »

Will the PL then say they can’t play West Ham on Sunday? As they would have been in contact with players who maybe had contact with the owner?

Depends on when the owner was last at the club - if he stayed in the UK after the Arsenal game, or if he just didn't go near the club since - he arrived back in Greece on Monday and as far as I know self isolated then - then they have had 14 days as of tomorrow night, so are clear as far as guidelines go. Arsenal players are all back at work Friday.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Achilles Heel

• Son of Thetis and Peleus, King of the Myrmidons. Possibly a hick from the Styx.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #55151 on: March 11, 2020, 08:26:08 am »

Isolated Arsenal players and staff return to work on Friday. If they haven't got it (as seems highly likely) the West Ham game goes ahead at the weekend.

Wolves appealed to UEFA yesterday to postpone the OLympiakos game. UEFA said no.  It has been reported this morning that all Olympiakos  players/staff have been tested and are all clear.

The more worrying report is that Marinakis is also the owner of Nottingham Forest and was at the Forest v Millwall game at the weekend shaking hands with players/staff/supporters.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #55152 on: March 11, 2020, 08:33:50 am »
.  It has been reported this morning that all Olympiakos  players/staff have been tested and are all clear.

The more worrying report is that Marinakis is also the owner of Nottingham Forest and was at the Forest v Millwall game at the weekend shaking hands with players/staff/supporters.

I hadn’t seen that Olympiakos players had been tested and cleared.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #55153 on: March 11, 2020, 08:35:15 am »

getting rid of a few millwall fans wouldnt be a bad thing
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #55154 on: March 11, 2020, 08:44:12 am »
I don't want to demean the Arsenal unbeaten season, as I think it was a fine achievement, but honestly it definitely will be repeated. We got three quarters of the way there this season and if perhaps we had no other irons in the fire or we hadn't had a winning record to chase as well (basically a fancy way of saying if we'd been happy to play for draws) then I reckon we'd have done it.

More pertinently, one reason why it almost never happens is that sides don't set out to go unbeaten; they chase victories and thus risk losses where a more conservative approach could mean fewer wins and more draws but no losses. It'd be interesting to see how a quality side with a quality manager might fare if they deliberately set out  to repeat the feat.

It really is fine margins. Van Nistelrooy scores that penalty in September, then it doesn't happen.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #55155 on: March 11, 2020, 09:06:20 am »
It really is fine margins. Van Nistelrooy scores that penalty in September, then it doesn't happen.

The ref gives Arsenal a penalty that never was when 1-0 down at home to Portsmouth, that finished 1-1, that was the weekend before that United game.
#Sausages

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55156 on: March 11, 2020, 10:10:39 am »
The ref gives Arsenal a penalty that never was when 1-0 down at home to Portsmouth, that finished 1-1, that was the weekend before that United game.

The ref sends a few United players off for their assaults on arsenal players and then not give rooney a pen for diving and we easily would have got past 50 unbeaten.

There obviously will be fine margins, that's why its nearly impossible to go a whole season unbeaten. We had a lot of tough situations which we got through, never got outplayed.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #55157 on: March 11, 2020, 10:46:33 am »

Is this the one where Pires did that awful dive?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #55158 on: March 11, 2020, 10:51:23 am »
Isolated Arsenal players and staff return to work on Friday. If they haven't got it (as seems highly likely) the West Ham game goes ahead at the weekend.

Wolves appealed to UEFA yesterday to postpone the OLympiakos game. UEFA said no.  It has been reported this morning that all Olympiakos  players/staff have been tested and are all clear.

Quite unbelievably, I have just got off a call from work and my line manager has had contact (he's a friend) with the boss of Millwall - and this Marinakis so he (my line manager) is self-isolating this week.

I have not seen my boss face to face since and he's leaving my program but you start to see how this 6 degrees of infection works.

Crazy times.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:52:58 am by lionel_messias »
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #55159 on: March 11, 2020, 11:13:28 am »

Exactly. Nobody sets out to be unbeaten. A season with 19 wins and 19 draws for example would only be a moderate Top 4 season for a Top club. But you're 'unbeaten'. How can anyone rate that over 95+ points with 1 or 2 losses?

Teams go out to get the maximum points they can, no team sets out to be 'unbeaten' at the start of any season.