Author Topic: CLF: Liverpool FC 0 vs 1 Real Madrid C.F. Vini jr ‘58  (Read 73566 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
CLF: Liverpool FC 0 vs 1 Real Madrid C.F. Vini jr ‘58
« on: May 28, 2022, 06:09:57 pm »

Referee: Clement Turpin (France)
Assistants: Nicolas Danos, Cyril Gringore (both France)
Fourth official: Benoit Bastien (France)
VAR: Jerome Brisard (France)
VAR Assistants: Willy Delajod (France), Massimiliano Irrati (Italy), Filippo Meli (Italy)

PART ONE
What an incredible season we've been treated to and it ends deservedly with another shot at European glory in Paris. In terms of European glamour ties they don't get much bigger than us v Real Madrid and the score in European Cup finals as I'm sure you all know is currently 1-1. So a decider of sorts, back where we won our third European Cup and faced Madrid for the first time in a final, in Paris 1981.

We come in winning form in terms of results, however we've been unsurprisingly showing the rigours of a long hard season, in which we've played in every game that was possible to us. We've conceded first in each of our last four league games, but managed to turn it around in three of those. I think we'll need to bring that mentality to the fore one last time, and those lucky enough to be there (and we know there'll be more reds, somehow there always is), will need to raise the kind of atmosphere that was inside Anfield on Sunday against Wolves - this team will need our help here probably. Which is a little mad as I've no doubt we are in a much better place than we were four years ago in Kiev and now definitely have the stronger side. But they've been recharging a little, while we've faced tough game after tough game.

However if there's one group of players who can muster the mentality and effort for one final time - it's this group. They give us everything every time they step foot on the pitch and we've all been lucky to witness some of the best football we've ever seen these last few years (even for those whose memories go back a long way).

Anyway enough of me spouting on, for the final a few RAWK posters have completed a bit of a round table type exercise - the kind that used to happen more frequently on this forum. stockdam set a bunch of questions and a few of us provided our answers, thoughts etc.

Please feel free to do the same, or not, completely up to you. This is our EUROPEAN CUP FINAL thread - Enjoy it. Let's win number 7 to cap off an amazing season in style

The Questions

What's your first recollection of us in a CL (or European Cup) final?
What was your favourite final?
What was your lowest point?
What goal gave you most satisfaction?
Have you even been to a live CL final?
What are your plans for watching this one?
What players from the RM side do you think we need to keep quiet?
Who has been the most exciting player of our team so far this season?
What tactics do you think Klopp will use?
Team predictions?

paulrazor

2005, I felt Liverpool in finals was a thing of the past, and even then it felt like it was maybe our one and only shot to ever win it again, it was for years the best day of my life, it was an incredible night. I think I once read Roy Keane wasn’t too happy that David Beckham said in 1999 that he would die happy if he never won another thing. I think Beckham was just caught up in the emotion of it all afterwards.

I can understand why he said it but I am sure once pre season started he was hungry again, one thing for me though, when we won it I actually thought “I want to win this again, and again and again”.

I feel very lucky this will be the 5th time I remember us in the final, its always huge.

2005, how could it not be? It was Hollywood stuff come to life, it was just unbelievable, but in 2019, it was a poor game but overall I enjoyed it just as much. It had been 7 years since we had won anything and i remember after losing in 2018, maybe a bit of drunken bravado, but I swore to my brother that night we would win it in 12 months time. I am happy to say I was right, when we did I remember we actually got the same seats in the pub late that night and we both remembered that.
I think the 2019 team was miles better almost player for player, they deserved it as they had been the best team in Europe for a couple of years by that point and you could say they still are.

Common thread of 2007 and 2018 was me crying after according to others and being so pissed I don’t remember. Im not sure which one was harder to take, the feeling of deflation after both kind of lingers on most of the summer but you do get over it.
2007 you felt like Milan owed us one, 2018 it just felt like nothing went right that night.

In a final? Gerrard in 2005 as it just galvanised us. Overall? Probably Wijnaldum’s 2nd against Barcelona, again it just made us believe.

This season I'm not sure really, Firmino at the San Siro was a lovely goal, maybe that.

No, its sort of on the bucket list but I think the prices for tickets, flights and accommodation are disgraceful. I think the allocations are crazy too, how can people justify for example, two clubs getting 35000 tickets between them for 75000 capacities. It doesn’t add up does it?

A good mate of mine is on his stag in Galway and im going, only 8 of us but it will be good, all good mates. 3 of us Liverpool fans, the best man will really milk it if we lost as he is a united fan but fair play he has booked a couple of tables in a bar for us

Benzema, he is unreal. I think Trent needs to be 10/10 because Vinicius is an absolute handful. I was impressed with Camavinga against City. I think we need to make sure Trent isn’t isolated. Van Dijk and either one of Konate or Matip need to be on top of their game too with Benzema

Mane, he never stops, he has really stepped up lately as Salah’s goals have dried up, Salah however, 30 goals this season? He is still one of the very best. Forget one, we need both to sign a deal.

I know he only signed recently but Luis Diaz has been a mega signing. I love watching him, if he was there all season I would pick him. But it says a lot in half a season he is in my top 3, Mane is number 1.

Not exactly hard to work out, full backs pushed up but a back 4, I think we might try over load them in midfield with a combination of Thiago’s passing and Keita breaking the lines. Robbo and Diaz overloading them left, hopefully Salah and Trent do the same down the right. Mane down the middle again

Team predictions?

I am just hoping we get no more injuries, I hope Fabinho is fit. I think that was one reason we lost in 2018, our midfield was depleted. I never liked that Hendo-Gini-Milner trio but we didn’t have much choice. Oxlade Chamberlain was having a fantastic run until he got injured that season and Emre Can was injured too. Fabinho signed about a week later, if we had him in the final we might have won, Alisson too obviously.

I think if Fabinho doesn’t make it we will line up with
                                       Alisson
TAA                Konate                     VVD           Robbo
                                  Hendo
                                                Thiago
                                        Keita

Salah                            Mane                  Diaz

I think Jota’s form has tailed off a bit but from the bench he is vital, Bobby too. If Fabinho is out I would probably have to leave Keita out.

Joel Matip, that’s a real headache but I am going with Konate to go up physically against Benzema.

Maybe big Divock can sign off in style from the bench?

I can see this going to extra time, I think we can win 2-1, I think we will dominate large portions of the game and we have to make it count.

Madrid looked dead and buried against PSG, Chelsea and Man City, they just keep coming though. They are mentality monsters themselves, I can see us hanging on at the end.

Hazell

2005 is my first. I don't remember us winning the league prior to 2020 and honestly, we didn't really get close prior to 2005 and didn't really much make progress in European competitions either, whether it was the UEFA Cup, Cup Winners Cup or the Champions League. The closest we got were a couple of semi-finals in the UEFA Cup I think(?) and losing agonisingly to Leverkusen in 2002. So I'd never seen us get close to winning the league or the Champions League before that season. I know you've asked about that final but honestly, that whole run was crazy, the ups and downs of the group stage culminating in the Olympiakos game (I was listening to that on the radio and remember being down at half time after Rivaldo's goal before the madness of the second half) was like a tournament in itself. Then we got Leverkusen (remember them beating Real Madrid 3-0 in the group stages and finishing top of their group) so thought that was going to be a lot tougher than it was but we comfortably got through that.

And then obviously came the historic Juventus and Chelsea ties. I remember us blitzing Juve in the first half of the first leg, it was kind of a blur how fast we started and of course Luis Garcia capping it off with that goal. We also had Scott Carson in goal and yeah he made a mistake for their goal but he also made some fine saves in that match. That's actually another reason why 2005 was so special overall - we obviously didn't have the best individuals in Europe but we also had to face various trials throughout that season through injuries with Cisse in particular but also Alosno, Garcia, Gerrard and probably others and Kirkland also played against Deportivo in the group stages. I was following the second leg on the radio and like the Olympiakos game, was on edge right up until the final whistle.

The Chelsea tie - Those that were there can talk about it far better than me but yeah, it was over the line and I was bracing myself for Gudjohnsen's shot to hit the net is about as much as I can say about it.

Yep, 2005 as above. It that was a novel or film, it'd be too unrealistic.

Nice one stockdam. Looking at that Milan side, 9/10 of them have gone down as all time greats, which made that result all the more special. It's ridiculous how strong that team was. Got to say as well, Crespo's second goal is one my favourite non-Liverpool goals of all time (easy to like it now I suppose) and would be considered one of the great European Cup final goals had they won that match. It was a such a perfect goal I could watch over and over again. But before that when Maldini scored after like 50 seconds, I just thought 'typical', after our run throughout the competition, it starts like that. Thankfully, as you've described above, it turned out okay. The only thing that might have made it better would have been us scoring that freekick in injury time in the second half of extra time, I was a tiny bit livid we over played it instead of having Riise hit it directly. Turned out fine in the end though and I still sometimes find it difficult to believe that that match went the way it did.

Weirdly, I wasn't as down as I should have been at half time, not sure why, possibly because the run was so unexpected and maybe because the tie seemed like it was gone but I just wanted us to go for it in the second half and if it got worse, it got worse and so be it. I think I felt the worst at the final whistle in 2007 because we should have won that one and Milan's first goal was really a fortuitous one and made a huge difference in the match. That's why 2019 felt so great because we were one of the best teams in Europe and deserved to win it (and it would have been pretty awful to lose to Tottenham of all teams). 2018 didn't actually feel that bad either for some reason, we matched Real Madrid but two goalkeeping errors (as we found out afterwards, there were extenuating circumstances) and a wonder goal basically won it for them. So yeah, 2007 was the worst for me.

Origi definitely. It might have more relief than satisfaction but the goals in 2005 all led to differing emotions from 'yes, we've got a chance' to 'come on!' to 'kinell he's missed/yes!' but Origi's goal, given the score at the time and the time he scored it allowed a more measured realisation (after the screaming and jumping around of course) that that was us winning the trophy, while the match was still going on. 2005 was great but we were on edge right until Dudek's last penalty save but Origi's goal in 2019 allowed us to enjoy those few minutes at the end, which we've not had the opportunity to do much in finals in my experience.

Sheer Magnetism

I grew up on footage of the first five finals – Tommy Smith heading in at the near post, Alan Kennedy looping that through ball over the keeper, Brucie’s wobbly legs – but like a lot of fans, the first I remember was 2005.

My brother and me watched it upstairs in a Croydon Wetherspoons (they still showed sport back then) along with a small spattering of Liverpool fans and random bystanders. As the Milan goals went in, I remember feeling disappointment rather than depression. I could have taken us losing, but the team deserved better after that fantastic run, were capable of better. I didn’t expect what happened in the second half but I was one of the fans who thought it was possible, assuring people around me there were still 45 minutes to play.

I don’t know if any moment, even Barcelona, can compare with the excitement I felt when Stevie’s goal went in and he ran back to the halfway line gesturing to the crowd. It was on! That 10 minutes seemed to crystallise the idea of the team and the fans as a force of nature capable of toppling mountains, something that’s carried on under Klopp (and to some extent Rodgers). I think I started crying when we won the shootout, overcome with joy for the players and what they'd achieved against all the odds. I’d do it again 13 years later under very different circumstances.

Definitely 2005, though the atmosphere of 2019 takes some beating. I was part of a dedicated fan group by then and the groundswell of support was so big they rented out an entire nightclub for the game. Spending the day drinking in the sunshine with friends you’d made over the last three or four years, then watching the game surrounded by people you knew had its own magic. The match itself was dreary but the result felt like a redemption. Then we went back to someone’s flat and partied into the wee hours.

2018 should have been a triumph, the culmination of an incredible season of attacking football, but it felt doomed from the start. The pub we’d arranged to watch it in was hugely oversubscribed, meaning no one could leave from about half two. We’d never seen half the people there and there was a lot of drinking, some suspect stuff going on in the bathrooms, dodgy remarks overheard and it all just felt ‘off’.

And then of course there was the game – I just remember feeling so sorry for Karius, who I’d never really rated but who you already knew would have to live with the match for the rest of his career. In hindsight, I remember the feeling of being overrun, much like the Europa final two years before, where the team looked helpless to stop a more experienced opposition taking control of the game. Alisson would come in the summer, Virg in January, and with the signing of Thiago we’ve finally become that team. The one that runs matches.

As said above, the Gerrard goal, though the feeling of delirium when the third went in was absolutely surreal, like the boundaries between reality and dreamland had broken apart for a few minutes and anything was suddenly possible as long as that split remained intact.

No chance, closest was probably the 2013 final when London was filled with people in red or yellow and black shirts. I shouted “Come on Dortmund” at a couple of groups but the Dortmund fans seemed quite standoffish. Maybe they could see the future!

I’m DJing my best friend’s civil partnership party at the exact same time, so the answer is in dribs and drabs, in an open laptop tab on a stream I’ll be praying doesn’t give out. Maybe I deserve to be run off RAWK for that, but the last couple of years have illustrated that some things are bigger than football, no matter how much joy it can give us.

The obvious answer should be Benzema, whose record of 15 goals in 11 Champions League games this season is insane. But we traditionally struggle against experienced Italian or Spanish teams with strong midfields, and I think taking Modric and Kroos out of the game has to be the biggest priority. It’s the match Thiago was born to start, let’s hope he’s in good enough shape to do so.

Luis Diaz reminds me of Suarez in his first season, a terrific all-round attacking force whose finishing hasn’t quite slotted into place yet. Once it does, he’s going to be unstoppable, but he’s already transformed the way the team plays, the missing piece that’s finally transformed our style into total football. Players swapped positions a lot before but we’re now seeing defenders at centre forward, midfielders at full back and constant interchanges. Our record since he’s arrived? 23 wins, three draws and a dead rubber loss against Inter in which he didn’t start.

Real might actually start with a conservative diamond and Vinicius next to Benzema, but I think it’s likelier they try and use their Brazilians to exploit the space behind our full backs. That’s why I think Klopp will look to conserve possession, use the full backs to cut inside and help nullify their midfield, cutting off the supply line to their front three. In theory, the week-long break, the strength of our bench and the five subs rule in Europe should give us the scope to run hard early on, knowing we have the tools in reserve to change the game later on.

Team predictions?

Matip starting next to Virg at the back, Mane at centre forward flanked by Salah and Diaz, with Hendo starting in midfield together with two of Thiago, Fabinho, Keita and Milner (in that order), depending on who’s fit.

Klopp may decide on Firmino up front as he’d hypothetically be hungry for revenge after 2018 (eight of the starting 11 are actually still at the club) and I think there’s a case to be made for Keita starting in order to harass their midfield from kick off, but I think the others’ composure and big game experience theoretically counts for more. Personally, I’d lean towards Gomez at right back considering recent form, though that probably isn’t a mainstream view. I definitely wouldn’t rule out Minamino coming on though, he has been lethal when he’s played this year.

Zlen

Istanbul. I'm too young to recall earlier finals, however their impact sent ripples all the way across Europe and to my small town in former Yugoslavia, where all of a sudden there were many mysterious grafitti popping up, causing many a debate between us kids as to what 'YNWA' and 'LFC' actually stand for. The seed of appreciation for LFC mistique was probably planted in my developing mind during those years.

Nothing can top Instabul for sheer insanity of it all. I mean, if it was scripted it would be laughed out of the meeting for being 'too far out'. We can't film this shit because Nicholas Cage isn't available - the only man who could pull this off. The emotional rollercoaster of that night, those crazy ten minutes, the likely and unlikely heroes. It's as good an argument as you'll find for whatever it is people call fate. When you look back at it, it seems it couldn't have gone any other way, yet what happened was so unlikely and extraordinary. When I look back at it now, something that night changed the way I see the world. I was never a believer in higher power, but after that night I did start believing in power of not giving up. It's also the final I'm most often reminded of on a daily basis. After Xabi scored I celebrated by kicking with full strenght a heavy oak cabinet the tv was on, causing permanent damage to bones in my right toe which flare up with weather changes. Thanks Xabi.

Not an easy one to answer. It's probably minutes before half time in Instanbul, though everything after Bale's goal in 2018 also felt like being in some weird and awful dream. It's perhaps that different outcomes of these finals paint the final picture, making one seem a bit less terrible than it was and vice versa. We've had our share of lows, they are to be expected when playing finals of the most important club competition.

For some reason it was the Šmicer strike against Milan. Just something about it that stuck with me. That goal is blocked, saved or going wide 19 out of 20 times. But it went in and I felt the gravitational pull of destiny at that moment, it was very much a 'here we go' pivot on which the game turned in our favor. In a different way I really enjoyed the Origi goal against Spurs. It triggered an immense release of anxiety and pressure, made everything in the world instantly ok - which is Origi's purpose in the universe after all.  ;D

I haven't, no.

If I pull myself together enough to watch it, it will be at home. I usually insulate myself from the rest of the family, mute commentary and fall into a deep state of catatonic anxiety. It feels very much like diving on a single breath for about ten hours. My family has suffered my football related outbursts for years and these days they just leave me alone, ignoring the drama to preserve their own sanity. So I mostly end up alone with my dogs, who can sense something is wrong with me and keep trying to calm me down. They are pretty great at celebrating goals too. I guess once I go berserk after we score they think it's time for food or a walk and just run around absolutely ecstatic that something is about to come their way. Which it often does. Salah alone has put about 2kg of ham into them this season.

There are many, but it looks likely that Vinicius attacking the empty space behind Trent is probably the main concern. That boy can have off days where he isn't clinical in his finishing, but he is always relentless, extremely fast and well capable of causing mayhem to any defence, including ours. He'll be licking his lips at the prospect of playing against our high line and their entire midfield will just ping balls into that space without even looking. We'll do well to keep him isolated and our attacking players will have to chip in defensively. But it's a high wire act we are comfortable performing, so here's hoping the benefits outweigh the dangers. Benzema as well is a concern, but I'm much more certain that Virgil can manage to keep him quiet, it's a matchup where we have the upper hand in my opinion. Vinicius and Trent though is pretty even and could go either way.

Thiago for me. You can make a case for many other players, but Thiago has reached God-like moments in several games this season. Not just what he does, but how he did it. The perfect flow, complete control of everything that makes the game of football peppered with a generous handfull of sublime style and swagger. It will be absolutely devastating if he doesn't make the final and will not only reduce our chances - but diminish the game as a spectacle of football. He is that good.

It will depend on the availability of players I suppose. I don't actually expect us to go gung-ho from minute one. It seems more likely we'll work on establishing control slowly, keeping them quiet and then ramping up the intensity and choking them until they crack. Though Real have been resting for weeks now, I'm certain we'll outrun them and have more in the tank for the final part of the match - which is where I expect us to up the intensity and look to finish them off. But in the end it's a final, and one played between two teams who never give up - pre-game tactics could go out the window in a minute and it could all quickly dissolve into a completely crazy run and gun mayhem. With five subs available in-game management and reactions may turn out to be more important to the final outcome.

Team predictions?
Starting from the back, the only real question is who partners with Van Dijk. I think it will be Matip, though there's a strong case for putting Konate and using his speed to cover behind Trent. Joel's experience however might just be more important in my opinion. Midfield is one where there are many unknowns, with condition of Thiago and Fabinho still hanging in the air. Ideally it's Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson, but as things stand it's most likely to be Fabinho, Henderson and Keita. It will be a massive game for Naby - biggest game he has every played as lot of our hopes will hang on how well can he move the ball and break their lines with movement and passing. He needs to be brave but controlled, cheeky but smart. Real's midfield may not be the most mobile, but they are street smart like no other and outplaying them in advanced midfield role is some task for any player. I'm still obviously hoping Thiago makes it, but I believe Naby can do what needs doing as long as Fabinho is ready and playing well behind him, giving him that confidence to push Real and cause damage. Up front for many it will be Diaz, Mane and Salah - but to be perfectly honest I would prefer we start with the old front three. There is something about Bobby I think we would miss in a game like this. He can help us compensate for (likely) absence of Thiago and is always capable of pulling beautiful, polka dotted, pink eyed rabbits out of his hat. It would also give is the option to release Diaz against tired legs which is probably the last thing any full back wants to see.

Dougle

My first recollection of a European Cup final was Borussia Munchengladbach in 1977. It was so exciting then. I had grown into my teens as Liverpool rode  first, the Shankly, then the Paisley waves. We had won 2 UEFA Cups, one against BMG themselves. They were a big team then. For me the European Cup was a 7 year quest. Every tie was do or die. We played against many exotically named eastern European teams behind the Iron curtain. Slask Wroclaw, Dynamos Bucharest, Berlin and Dresden, Red Star and Ferencvaros (both knocked us out). The beauty of the Cup then was that it was an open draw and only the Champions played. The ’77 run included the famous St Etienne quarter final at Anfield. I never saw any of those games live (Being in Ireland) and barely saw highlights. It was radio transmission, It was BBC radio 2. There was (to me) an innocence about that final, loads of Red and White massed on the terraces, I knew we’d win because we were unstoppable those days.

Clemence, Phil Neal, Smith and Hughes, Joey Jones (of the banner). Callaghan, Case, Kennedy and Mc Dermott. Up front Steve Heighway (my hero) and playing his last ever game for Liverpool, the irrepressible Kevin Keegan.

I saw the final. I was at home. It was actually a good game, BMG were tough and talented and matched us. Tommy Smith’s 2-1 header was both unexpected and exhilarating. Bertie Vogts chased after and kicked Keegan allover Rome finally giving away a penalty which finished them off. The image of the game for me was the sheer unadulterated delight of Emlyn Hughes picking up the trophy.

The quest, part 1, was over.

As a game, the first one, 1977. As an event in itself it has to be 2005 but 2019 was magnificent. The whole drama of losing the league, coming back from the dead against Barca and the build up to the final itself was unforgettable. I had gone through some tough times personally, losing my Dad and relationship splitting up. It was a very emotional time for me. I loved the Boss nights fan culture, The Wrap and the bus epic and (almost more memorable than the final itself) was the gathering in Madrid the afternoon of the final. I still look and listen back to that event. I watched it in a country pub in West Cork with a good (Red) mate of mine, with whom I will watch the game next Saturday as well.

There were a lot of tears that night and the next day watching the parade, even more so.

Brussels. Horrible. Nearly gave it all up then.

David Fairclough, the third goal at Anfield against St Etienne and Big Divvie’s and Liverpool’s winner against Barca, disbelief and joy. Actually his winner against Spurs killed me too. My God the relief.

No.

Gonna meet up with the same buddy I watched the 2019 final. Hopefully a couple of more mates will make it and I’m going to take my 12 year old son along with me. Gonna be wearing my Mum's wedding band at this one. She's just left us. I'll take a little of her to the game.

Carlo has had defensive success in relatively recent CL games against us. His Napoli team really stifled us. So we have to expect them to do something similar against Trent and Robbo.

Well no prizes for guessing Benzema there. I think the key for us will be strangling the supply lines and that means not giving them space and time in the middle. We’ll need to mentally totally switched on from the start. I think Madrid will be happy to play dead and spring Venicius and Benzema on us.

Different players have burned brightly at different times. Salah then Jota followed by Diaz and finally Sadio. Thiago has been such a buzz to watch as well.

I think we will play steadily rather than demented from the start. If we rattle them then try for a quick brace but we may well be a little less offensive than usual. If we are clinical then we should create and score. Pressure needs to produce results though.

Having 5 subs will be important because we looked shot yesterday, second half against Wolves we were ragged and toothless. However we managed, played through the stress and maybe that will help us on Saturday night ?

Team predictions?

Matip plus the usuals at the back.

I expect our 6 regular midfielders all to play if it goes to Extra time.

If Thiago doesn’t start then Fab, Hendo and Keita to start for me.
If Thiago is fit to start then Hendo and Fab with him.
Someone in the midfield 3 has to press on to Modric and Kroos.

Diaz, Mané and Mo up front to start.

If Bobby was fit and firing (is he?) then I could see him being a surprise selection and dropping back to cancel out one of Kroos and Modric. I think Madrid will go long from deep behind Trent for sure.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 09:56:30 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CLF: Liverpool FC vs Real Madrid C.F.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 06:10:28 pm »
PART TWO

jackh

Thirteen years old at the time, my first recollection of us in a European final is of course the UEFA Cup Final of 2001, which took place in the middle of a week bookended by the FA Cup Final against Arsenal and a crucial match (for Champions League qualification) away to Charlton. 2000-01 is probably the first season I recall in detail, with everything before that being snapshots. We’d been a top four side consistently during my childhood and so the 7th place finish in 1999 had felt like a real low, but Gerard Houllier and his team worked wonders that summer – the signings of Westerveld, Hyypia, Henchoz, Hamann, and later Heskey, were transformative, and that week in May 2001 really was a glorious experience for us youngsters.

The slump midway through 2002 – following Houllier’s health issues – caused us to fall short of a title challenge, and we never bettered the team of 2000-2002 and the highs of 2000-01 under Houllier. We all recognise that the foundations for the modern Liverpool Football Club had been set though, and Rafa Benitez arrived and developed us into the best team in Europe over a two or three team period – it’s a great shame that that team never won either of the big ones, but testament to Benitez’s tactical ability and the magic of the club that we’d bagged a European Cup already.

Wednesday 25th May 2005 has a fair claim at being each of the worst and best days of my life, and is definitely the strangest. I was home revising for my AS-Level examinations that morning – but largely distracted reading up on final-day build-up online – and surprised when my mum arrived home from work just a few hours after leaving the house. She had tears in her eyes as she told me that my grandmother had died that morning. My nan had a short illness some time earlier but this was entirely unexpected, and particularly at such a relatively young age.

My dad had moved to Liverpool with his mum for a period of his childhood, and Liverpool Football Club were a key theme of the discussions had & gifts received as she doted on me during my football-obsessed childhood. My dad arrived home a couple of hours later that day, with my brother being left in school and having the news of our loss broken to him later on. I remember the house being very quiet until about half-six/seven-o-clock – an airless atmosphere of shock & grief – and I think I spent most of it sat on my sofa bunk gazing out of the window. I don’t remember how it went, but an exchange must have happened that shook us all into getting in front of the television and engaging in the excitement like she’d have wanted us to.

The first half was of course dismaying – none of us had any real idea if this was a stage we’d be on again anytime soon, and the three-goal deficit gave the impression that we were imposters being there in the first place. Something in me encouraged me to send a text message containing only the words “time for heroes” (the title of an entirely unrelated song by The Libertines) to a school friend, however, and within twenty minutes or so we were level. The mood swung from desperation – Jerzy’s double save – to euphoria – his decisive penalty save – over the next hour or so. The mood in the house at the end of the final couldn’t have been more different to a few hours later – I remember there being a moment when the family were just a pile half on the floor and half on the sofa, and though I don’t have them to hand I recall the photos of me from that evening: all bloodshot, teary-eyed, and camera-shy yet defiant.

Over time, I’ve realised that my nan might have appreciated the dark humour of that day – she loved the soaps and loved doting on us, almost via the football. The drama of the day couldn’t have been made up. I’m not even slightly religious nor do I have belief in an afterlife – and I know he was referring the Pope – but I still like to think of my nan when I recall Jerzy looking up to the heavens in his post-match interview.

Wednesday 25th May 2005 – a time for heroes. Five times. People & things that went before.

The impossible drama of the day means that 2005 is the one I think back to first, and feel most fondly about – the context of it is just too loaded for it not to be the one I pick here. Having been away so long, getting there at all, it being the first for a lot of us, being 3-0 down, and pulling it back – it must mean so much so much to so many, but it’s got an extra aura about it when referenced in our family.

I wanted for so long to be able to see us win a European Cup that wasn’t won a day so shrouded in grief, and so 2019 felt very special too – I was probably somewhat inebriated by the time it came around, but the hug with my dad that night was one I’d probably waited 14 years for.

I feel like I barely remember 2007 in some ways – as mentioned above, we’d have been very keen to win without the added grief of two years before but I remember just feeling numb & flat. I guess that’s got something to do with the fact that it was disappointment amidst us feeling like this time we actually were meant to be there.

The run to the 2018 final is the one I enjoyed the most. I’d had a tough few months personally, and the combination of excitement, euphoria, tension, and drama – particularly in the four matches with Man City and Roma – really helped me keep my chin up for a while there. I’m very much the organiser in my friends & family group, and it was good for me have things to keep getting everyone together for. A tough few months, the fantastic run to the final, getting a group of about 12-15 of us together for the final, needing to banish 2005, and then the manner of defeat…I remember my eyes filling with tears when Bale’s third went in and when watching Loris Karius walk alone on the pitch afterwards, and I recall a moment sat in deafening silence with my mate afterwards. Utterly deflating.

I still think we’d have had a better chance of winning had we brough Moreno on for Salah, but we can’t change that now.

I’m caught between Gini’s second against Barcelona at Anfield – a goal that told you another Liverpool story was being written and you couldn’t do anything to stop it – or Divock Origi’s settler in Madrid against Spurs. The latter was the moment the party could really start – 2005 had been quite a thing, Rafa’s ‘best team in Europe’ hadn’t won either of the big ones, Hicks & Gillet cast a long shadow, and we missed a glorious opportunity in 2014, but Klopp had been leading us back up the hill and we had reached the summit again.

I’ve not, unfortunately. Managed to get to lots of European games during my university days, around 2006, ’07, and ’08, but only a handful since really – Bayern at Anfield being the last one. I watched the 2005 and ’07 finals back at the old family home, and have been chief organiser getting groups of friends & family together at my local for the recent ones – we’re a booking of eighteen (and counting) for this weekend’s final. Being an organiser can be both a vice and a virtue, but it’s a burden you’d struggle to prise from my hands!

As mentioned above, I’ll be in a big crowd in my local. For the two previous ones, we’ve been in the function room but I want to be in the main room for this one – right amidst the atmosphere. I think people with congregate at mine mid-afternoon, and we’ll walk down as a flag-bearing collective. Flags will be hung, I’ll stress that everyone’s in and settled, and I’ll finally relax for a minute at about 18:45 before all the stress and tension of the match kicks in!

I don’t feel like I’ve seen a great deal of Real Madrid this season – I miss the days when there was more Spanish football on UK tv, and I’d just have La Liga on in the background of a weekend evening after the pub or whatever.

Their experienced midfield has so much ability & know-how to really manage a game, so our trio will really need to be on it. Karim Benzema has really stepped it up in the last three or four seasons – he seems to have relished the extra pressure to lead & succeed since Cristiano Ronaldo left, and his battle with Virgil Van Dijk could be one for the ages.

I concede that could do with having seen more of them during the last couple of seasons, but Vinicius Junior looks like a real threat and of course netted a couple against us last season. I’m certainly not one getting drawn into the pundits’ favourite accusation that our high-line is a weakness, and we prove time & time again that it works – it’s understandable that teams will try and make it so, however. Wolves had a go at it at the weekend and looked dangerous on occasion, and I’m sure there’ll be periods of Saturday’s match where Madrid look to exploit space available to them on their left flank.

It’s hard to look beyond our attackers once again, really, even if the personnel does changed a little over the years. Mo Salah’s posted fantastic numbers of goals and assists this season, and will be desperate to avenge 2018 whilst putting in a performance worthy of the stage – particular after accusations of poor form being levelled at him over recent weeks. Sadio Mane was one of the players who came in for most criticism during our injury-ravaged 2020-21 campaign, but has looked back to his best this season – often also being asked to take on a slightly different role. And what can be said about the instant impact of Luis Diaz that hasn’t been said already? Liverpool supporters recognised the impact he’d made, and those with eyes on the Premier League know his one to fear – here's hoping Saturday is the day he announces himself on the continental stage, and to a global audience.

A lot suddenly depends on the availability of Thiago, who has really delivered on expectations following a difficult first season with the club. There seems to be confidence in Van Dijk and Fabinho returning to the first eleven, which were concerns a week or so back.

A key decision for Jurgen Klopp will be who partners Van Dijk at the back – Matip is obviously the more experienced option and offers great value bringing the ball out from the defence, whilst Konate has been given the nod during the recent knockout matches and offers a great threat from set pieces. Fabinho’s return will be valuable, as he looks to support the right-sided centre back in dealing with the threat of Vinicius in behind Trent Alexander-Arnold. I imagine that Klopp will hold in high regard Jordan Henderson’s ability to see to his defensive responsibilities dutifully, as well as his well-versed link-up play on the right-hand side with Trent and Mo Salah – I imagine he gets the nod on the right of the three regardless of Thiago’s availability. Naby Keita’s had a really good season but I suspect he’s the one who misses out if Thiago is indeed available – if he is called upon, however, he’ll bring energy to the midfield and can be valuable in disrupting Madrid’s experienced trio as they look to control that area of the pitch.

I can’t see Salah or Mane not making the team, and so the final decision for me is whether we go for a final hurrah with Klopp’s classic attacking trio – Firmino tasked with getting involved in disrupting the Madrid midfield whilst Mane and Salah attack spaces from wider positions – or whether we go pedal-to-the-metal, with Diaz unleashed on the left-hand side from the off. I’d probably lean ever so slightly towards the latter – both have the ability to come on an impact the game, but I think I’d like us to take the game to Madrid and introduce some control later on rather than ease into the game and introduce Diaz in the second half.

Team predictions?

Alisson, Robertson, Van Dijk, Matip, Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson, Diaz, Mane, Salah.

It’s great to go into a final feeling like so many could feel unfortunate to miss out on a start – based on the above, Konate, Keita, Firmino, and Jota would all fall into that category, whilst I think Tsimikas, Milner, and Origi could all make valuable contributions from the bench depending on how the match is going.

duvva

The first I remember is Rome 1984. I was 7 and it was the first season I'd really gotten in to Football and started to support us. We were supposed to travelling to my grandparents that evening but although my parents weren't really interested in football my grandad was and encouraged them not to leave until I'd seen the game - nice one grandad. I don't remember a great deal, it wasn't greatest game (us in finals huh). I do remember the penalties though as it was the first time I'd ever experienced one. When Nicol missed the first I thought we'd lost, until my dad explained we had 5 each. Ultimately Grobbelaar's spaghetti legs probably stand out the most and of course Alan Kennedy sealed it, and I finally got to my grandparents after midnight. A big deal for a 7 yr old! who was too young to fully appreciate until I was older what that Liverpool team had just achieved.

No real surprises here. Istanbul will probably never be beaten for the sheer improbability of it. The magical comeback, the bodies on the line last ditch defending, the unbelievable save from Dudek from Shevchenko from little more than a yard out. The fact that that group of players could beat some of the best teams in Europe to get there and then beat that Milan side - it's fairy tale stuff - except it actually happened in front of our eyes. I watched it in a bar with my better half and a Brighton supporting mate from work. At half time they had to talk me into staying (learnt a lot that night about not giving up on this club), by the end we were all jumping around the bar and deciding that tomorrow's shift at work could do one we were going out celebrating - don't remember a lot else after that.

Probably half time in Istanbul. As I mentioned above I was ready to leave the bar, I hated seeing us humiliated in front of so many watching around the world. I knew our team wasn't as good as Milan's but our spirit and that Liverpool way had carried us through to the final and all of that felt like it was being undone. Just wanted to hide

Probably Xabi Alonso's in 2005. It capped that incredible 6 minute period where we'd come from nowhere to level at 3-3. It was just unbelievable joy

No. I did manage to get to a few European games this season, including Inter away, but not enough to get near tickets for the final. One day...

I watch nearly all our games that we can't get tickets for at home with my other half. This will be no different. Think if we lived in Liverpool and had more Liverpool supporting friends we'd definitely do something together with others, but I find that watching at home is far preferable to watching in a bar or whatever these days.

I think if I had to pick just one it would probably be Modric. He still seems to be playing brilliantly when he's on it. So we need to make it a night when he's not on it, otherwise he can really cause damage by creating for others. He hardly ever gives the ball away either the fucker.

Joel Matip - Everyone should be more Joel. Player of the season for me. OK strictly speaking he may not be the most exciting, but he's been incredible in defence this season and I do get quite excited when he starts to take players on further up the pitch. Thinking about I'm not sure how many of the CL games he's played in so that's more of a general reflection on our season.

I'm not sure, we rarely seem to pay too much attention to what others can do to begin with and focus on what we intend to do and look to impose our will and gameplan on them. Of course that's probably an oversimplification of what happens, but we don't seem to make special plans for particular players. I'm not the most tactically astute and doubt we'll change much of how we usually line up and try to play, but we have been looking tired so that might have to be considered.

Team predictions?
I think it's fairly straight forward to pick our 11 if Thiago is out and Fabinho is back. Alisson, Trent, Robertson, Matip, Virgil, Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Diaz, Mane, Salah. Shame that Origi won't be fit, always good to have him available from the bench for an occasion such as this.

Raid

Istanbul 2005. It scarcely seemed possible until then. My Mum always used to let me stay up for the Champions League matches whilst I was at primary school whilst my Dad worked nights. I absolutely loved the competition then, watching all of these brilliant foreign teams and players who you don’t see week in week out in England. Then we finally got to compete in it under Ged and then Rafa.

Watching United collect trophy’s at will and then Chelsea throwing all sorts of money around made me wonder if my beloved Reds would ever get the opportunity to write those glorious stories that our parents would tell. But Rafa’s Reds did – I could barely sleep a wink in the days leading up to the final, yet I was still the same excitable schoolkid all day long. The feeling was the sweetest in the world, being able to walk around in my LFC top with my chest pumped out. The competition still stokes the same fires each time the Red Men step on the pitch in it to this very day.

I’m going to say 2019. The game was agony, particularly after narrowly being pipped to the title. But the players got their just rewards for an unbelievable campaign. I reflected in the immediate aftermath at the journey and the lows we had been on in the past decade to get back to the pinnacle of the sport. Experiencing those lows make these occasions feel even better. Bring on the 2022 version!

Athens 2007. I was convinced we were going to win it again. Arguably we actually had the better side this time around. A disappointing night from start to finish.

A special mention to the half time in 2005. Utterly inconsolable as I sobbed into my scarf. That would have been without doubt my lowest point, but then the rest was history as they say.

Divock Origi against Spurs. Confirmation that the Reds were finally back at the top of the tree.

I will be watching it with my Mum, like any other big occasion that I don’t have a ticket for. She’s lucky enough to be watching us in a 10th European Cup Final!

In a bizarre way, it appears Real Madrid’s substitutes are their key players. Camavinga and Rodrygo have been crucial for them off the bench and we’ll need to be switched on at all times, even if ahead. I would be looking to start Camavinga in particular if I was Ancelotti.
Karim Benzema’s record speaks for itself and we’ll need Virgil to be at his imperious best on the night.

Luis Diaz. My word, what a privilege it will be to be watching him in the coming seasons. A hybrid of Luis Suarez, and a bit of Sadio Mane from when he first joined us. Class.

The tried and tested. Real Madrid will attempt to exploit the space behind the full backs – you can be certain they will try and get Vinicius in behind Trent. The high line will be critical with offside traps, and if we are at our pressing best, we can nick the ball high up from their ageing midfield.

Team predictions?

(4-3-3) Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Konate, van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Salah, Diaz, Mane
The above is based on Fabinho returning but Thiago missing out after going off at the weekend.

stockdam

I'm old enough to remember them all (not sure if that's a good thing). It may be interesting for some if I take you back to the first win in 1977 as things have changed a lot since then.

In those days it was called the European Cup and it was much harder to get into the competition as only one club per country would qualify (by winning the respective league); the holders also qualified which meant that in 1976-77 there were two West German clubs, Bayern Munich and Borussia Mönchengladbach (prior to the reunification of Germany).

It was a straight knockout cup with 5 stages, including the final, with each leg being played home and away (apart from the final which was one match). We started off with an easy win against the might of Crusaders (from Belfast) followed by a win against Tranbzonspor. We had to come back from 1-0 down from the first leg against St Etienne and had to score 3 to go through as St Etienne scored 1 at Anfield (away goals rule). I think that was the first “famous European night at Anfield” that I remember; Anfield was rocking that night. St Etienne were one of the favourites to win and we were the underdogs even though we were the holders of the UEFA Cup and English Champions. The game was won by our “supersub”, David Fairclough (a bit of a cult in those days as he scored a lot of crucial goals coming off the bench). Next, we had a comfortable semi final win against Zurich and then played Borussia Mönchengladbach in the final in Rome.

Looking at our squad that day, the most obvious difference was that all of the players were “home based”. We had 9 English players on our team and all 5 of our reserves were English. Only Joey Jones (Welsh) and Steve Heighway (Irish) were not English. Our manager, Bob Paisley, was also English. On their side, Borussia Mönchengladbach, started with 10 West German Players and one Danish player (Allan Simonsen). For some reason, they only had two substitutes (both German). Their manager was German.

Terry McDermott scored for us and then Simonsen equalised. A famous and rare goal by Tommy Smith made it 2-1 to us. There was a lot of talk prior to the match about how Bertie Voghts would keep Kevin Keegan quiet. Voghts was one of the best defenders in the world and was given the job of man-marking Keegan.....but he hardly laid a glove on him; Keegan was fantastic and won us the penalty that sealed the win (Voghts brought Keegan down to concede the penalty).

So much has changed since then. The Champions League has grown and is probably now a harder competition to win as all the top clubs tend to qualify. However you can now qualify by coming 4th in our league which makes entry much easier. In 1977 our squad was English (other than Jones and Heighway); the only time you ever saw a player from Brazil etc. was in the World Cup. Although we had a very good team, it’s hard to see many of them displacing our current first team players (Clemence in goal was excellent, Phil Neal would push TAA close as he was a very attacking full back, Ray Kennedy was a silky smooth midfield player and Keegan was one of our best forwards of all time). However our squad was paper-thin compared to today so we relied on the first team playing as much as possible (including through injuries).

We now have a much stronger squad and the quality of the players is much superior to the squad of 1976-77. The game has become much more "international" and that includes our fan-base.

I think it will be no surprise if I say 2005. 1977 was great as it was our first win but 2005 had all the drama.
Milan were the favourites to win and when they scored in the first minute with their first attack things looked ominous. Milan had Maldini, Pirlo, Kaká, Crespo, Shevchenko....in fact their team was one of the strongest teams that we have ever faced. Crespo scored two quick goals just before half-time and it looked like the match was running away from us. It was the most clinical and one-sided half that I have seen in a top game. Even the most ardent optimist amongst us feared a drubbing; we didn't have a great team but we did have Alonso and Gerrard. We started off the 2nd half much better and then Gerrard scored a brilliant header followed quickly by a great strike by Šmicer and then we were awarded a penalty. Up stepped Alonso but it was saved........but then Alonso scored the rebound......unfukinbelievable. Astounding.
Things began to swing back towards Milan and then an amazing double save by Dudek against Shevchenko kept us in the match. I still can't believe how he did it.
Onto penalties. Dudek was moving back and forwards along the line and managed to put off their first penalty taker (Serginho) who missed. Dudek saved the 2nd penalty from Pirlo. We were 3-2 ahead when Shevchenko stepped up to take his........he was one of the best strikers in the world at the time so surely he wouldn't miss. Dudek mesmirised him and we had won. 3-0 down at half-time against the strongest team in Europe by far.........what a match.

I think that has to be the 2005 final at half-time. We were 3-0 down and were being over-run by a team that was full of exceptional players. We didn't have the same depth of quality that they had and I feared the worst. I couldn't realistically see any way back. Yes we had Gerrard who was capable of anything but we were against a great team that didn't have many obvious weaknesses. Turning that match around must rank as the greatest comeback of all time. 3-0 down is bad enough but when you are playing against Pirlo, Shevchenko, Crespo, Kaká etc then it was amazing. Just look at their starting lineup:

I'm not sure about this one. Šmicer's goal against Milan was when I started to think we might just pull the match back. Origi's winner against Barcelona was up there too. Kenny's dinked goal in 78 was a great finish.
However I think my favourite was the 3rd goal in 1977. Keegan had run their defence ragged all game and it was fitting that he won us the penalty which Neal cooly slotted home. With less than 10 minutes left I knew that we had won our first European Cup.

Unfortunately not. The total cost makes it hard to justify........now if anyone has a spare ticket or two for this year then give me a shout.

For me the "under-rated" player in their side is Modrić. I say under-rated as he is getting older but he is still an exceptional player. If you give him space then he can hurt you.
Up front they'll have Vinícius, Benzema and Rodrygo (may not start the match).
I think they'll allow us to have most of the ball and try to play long down our flanks to Vinícius so we'll need some cover for TAA when he goes forward.
If Camavinga plays or comes on then he could be dangerous.
So keep Modrić, Vinícius and Benzema quiet as they are, for me, their most dangerous players.

Without doubt it is Diaz. I love the way he runs at defenders and his love of the game.
Mane, Thiago and to some extent Keita are in good form.

This may depend a bit on whether Fabinho is fit but other than that we'll do what we normally do. Trent and Robbo bombing down the wings with the support of Salah and Diaz.
The big issue is defending their counter attacks and that's were we need to be careful. It will be key to stop them playing long balls over our defence but I'm not sure how.
It may be that we just have to focus on outscoring them.
One thing that I don't want is to sit through another penalty shootout as my nerves won't hold out.

Team predictions?
I'm going to assume that Fabinho won't be fit (if he is then he will play).

Alisson
TAA  Matip  VVD  Robertson
 Keita  Thiago  Henderson
  Salah  Mane  Diaz

Courtois
Carvajal  Militão  Alaba  Mendy
  Kroos  Casemiro  Modrić
 Valverde  Benzema  Vinícius

I have started Keita but Klopp may decide to start Milner as he is better at snuffing out danger than Keita.
I think Madrid may even start as a 4-4-2 and resort to 4-3-3 later if they need to.
So when we attack they will leave Benzema up with Vinícius close behind him and then when they get the ball Vinícius will move into the gap that TAA has vacated.

Final Thoughts from stockdam
Ancelotti is a wily old fox who can change a game by changing tactics. Klopp will need to be careful of over committing to attack as RM are very capable of the quick counter.
Ancelotti will watch the game unfold and decide where we are strong and weak on the day and will adapt the team's style to suit.
I therefore expect that there will be several changes of style as things pan out.
For me the key battle is in midfield. If Modrić is given time and space then he'll dictate how RM play.
We need to be careful of the diagonal ball from Modrić over the top to Vinícius.
One thing that concerns me slightly is our fitness. We have played a lot of games this season and we may need to use all of our subs.
Ancelotti is well aware of our threat up top and he'll try to stop Salah and Diaz getting time on the ball. If either of these two get the better of the defence then we'll storm ahead and win.
However if RM can keep our front three quiet then they'll try to counter quickly and that's where we need to be careful.
Let's move the ball about quickly and make their ageing players work hard.
It could be a great final but I'll take a boring 2-0 to us.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 06:11:22 pm »

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 06:48:22 pm by TepidT2O »
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 06:13:50 pm »
You've put their team news on first. Not that I am superstitious!  :o
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 06:15:38 pm »
I haven’t got ours yet!

Fear not, ours will be head of theirs
W

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 06:18:25 pm »

They tend to announce their squad early.

Rio Ferdinand is already doing my head in. He made a dig to Stevie G then about us “losing the league” last weekend. Nob head.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 07:43:35 pm »
Klopp mentioning Real Madrid having a long time to prepare for the final. That’s the main thing that worries me. Ancelotti has had more time for specific training.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 07:51:23 pm »
15 minute delay to kick off…. There’s a LOT of red in this stadium.  A huge round of allez allez allez
W

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 08:34:29 pm »
15 minute delay to kick off…. There’s a LOT of red in this stadium.  A huge round of allez allez allez

UEFA anthem being booed. Lovely.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 08:34:37 pm »
It’s been delayed so long I forgot Mo Salah played for us.
W

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 08:35:46 pm »
It’s been delayed so long I forgot Mo Salah played for us.

It’s been delayed so long Thiago is now fit.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 08:36:09 pm »
It’s been delayed so long Thiago is now fit.
:lmao
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 08:37:44 pm »
0 match underway, Liverpool attacking the Real Madrid end in the first half.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 08:38:32 pm »
1 early pass by Thiago into the area, a long Real Madrid leg denies Mane…
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2022, 08:39:23 pm »
2 free kick to us 25 or more yards out, toward the corner of the area.

Poor one and it’s cleared.  Madrid were really deep.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2022, 08:42:43 pm »
6 time for Madrid to have some of the ball now.  But the red defence holds well.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2022, 08:44:36 pm »
7 the teams feeling each other out right now.  Casemiro wipes Mane out.. he gets nothing! 

Poor decision.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2022, 08:45:39 pm »
8 Mane plays the ball in behind but Diaz had checked his run.. it was the right ball at the wrong  time.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 08:48:15 pm »
11 the reds have settled into a period of possession.  Madrid can’t get the ball right now.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 08:49:05 pm »
Looking a bit attritional so far

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2022, 08:49:31 pm »
Looking a bit attritional so far
Yes, we gain three yards and then lose two..
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022, 08:51:48 pm »
14 outrageous pass by TAA to Diaz .  He cuts back in, feeds Robbo and his cross takes a deflection.

Dangerous if it hadn’t been deflected.

Konate with some good defending against Vini Jr.  his home town this of course.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2022, 08:51:58 pm »
Brilliant work by Konate to take the ball off Junior

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2022, 08:52:08 pm »
Over to Jill
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2022, 08:53:21 pm »
15 We are putting them under real pressure and were very close with a shot, but it got cleared.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2022, 08:53:36 pm »
If this were a heavy weight boxing match, we’ve just landed the first big body shot inside their guard.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2022, 08:54:46 pm »
17 Close again! A great run by Dias with Thiago, Mane involved but Salah's shot was straight at the keeper.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2022, 08:54:48 pm »
Well that was exciting - three , albeit soft, shots on target. 

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2022, 08:56:23 pm »
18 Some really patient play from us there, with some good possession but Trent's shot is hit over the bar.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2022, 08:57:20 pm »
OMFG how? How!?

What a Fucking save that is.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2022, 08:58:01 pm »
20 So close from Mane. A great ball in from Thiago Mane slips past a couple of players and unleashes a great shot which hits the post and the goalie then gathers, just.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2022, 08:58:42 pm »
Fucking hell! That was some save by Courtois!

He got right down to deflect that Sadio shot onto the upright.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2022, 08:59:42 pm »
21 Another good move, great pass by Robbo to Diaz who runs at their defence but in the end slips over his own feet there and the ball is cleared.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2022, 08:59:43 pm »
He has no right to save that.  No one blames the keeper if that goes in.  Fair fucks to him
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2022, 09:00:21 pm »
Six shots on target so far

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2022, 09:01:32 pm »
23 We are playing really well at the moment looking after the ball and RM are struggling to get a hold of the ball.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2022, 09:02:30 pm »
24 A dangerous cross in from Madrid, but its caught comfortably by Alisson.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2022, 09:03:37 pm »
25 One of the Madrid players almost has Diaz's shirt off his back, but its just a throw in to RM.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2022, 09:05:49 pm »
28 We are being very patient, keeping hold of the ball and trying to move Madrid around the park. They are getting deeper and deeper.