Author Topic: Jürgen Klopp  (Read 968958 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Jürgen Klopp
« Reply #1520 on: January 28, 2020, 03:34:11 pm »
But, for all the talk of magic of FA Cup and for all the dominance that Man United had under Ferguson, in 27 years, Ferguson only won it on 6 of the occasions. That makes it approximately 2 per decade and only 4 during the PL era. It shows that even Ferguson hasn't given a major importance to this particular trophy. I don't remember any particular outrage about him though.

Chelsea have won it twice in the 90s, twice in 00s and twice in 10s.

We won it twice in the 80s (during our dominant period), once in the 90s and twice in the 2000s. It's only in the 2010s that we've failed to win any. Frankly, looking at this, I think Klopp would've achieved his target with the FA Cup even if he wins it once out of his remaining 5 years. That's the going rate for top clubs - two per decade.

It's only really Arsenal who have given importance to this by winning it thrice in the 90s, 00s and 10s. Thrice per decade is the above par limit. So anyone expecting an FA Cup every other year is bonkers and what's the use in going far in FA Cup without winning it? It's not like in Europe where we have memories visiting different countries and playing different sides with tactical challenges to be beneficial even without winning it. In retrospect, Klopp is spot on here.

For those who're crying 'treble, treble', how many English sides actually have a European Treble (we have a Cup treble and Man City have a League treble, but European Cup/CL + League treble)? Man United once ever? And that too with much less PL points than what we can manage this season? The PL has become tougher to win, make no mistake, especially after Man City broke the points record. It's no longer as easy to win a treble as it was then, and only one side only one time had ever managed it in England.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1521 on: January 28, 2020, 03:35:03 pm »
The elephant in the room is this 2021 club World Cup. Surely we won't be taking part in that through next June no matter what the prize money.

We surely will be taking part. 

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #1522 on: January 28, 2020, 03:40:12 pm »
Nah. We lead so handsomely because we really are that much better than anyone else. The idea that Man City are so far behind us because they've played two more League Cup games than us is simply not true.

That's not my argument though; nothing to do with City and everything to do with us. We're that much better in part because of our focus.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1523 on: January 28, 2020, 03:40:29 pm »

If we continue to throw away cup competitions in the manner we currently are I think we will look back in future years and think what a waste. We should be able to fight on all fronts, particularly with the lead we have in the league.
[/quote]
we haven`t won the league for 30 years for me i couldnt care any less about a cup which has been degraded to such an extent
we have two competitions we need to get sorted between now and june, that is the league and the champions league
everything else is irrelevant.
if we end the season with one or both then every decision Klopp made has been vindicated so far as i am concerned.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1524 on: January 28, 2020, 03:44:06 pm »
I agree it's a farce that anyone is being made to be a 'bad guy' in what is a club's decision to manage and utilise their personnel as they see fit. As ever it is framed into a ridiculous narrative of 'disrespecting' a competition which the FA have moulded themselves in order to maximise the national side's chances in the Euros, thereby disrespecting their own competition.

I'm just making the point that there is a decent argument for expecting highly paid athletes to be flexible with an annual leave request. I do understand the argument that these days their free time is at a premium as there is a global issue with too many competitions, but then again its a short career and the insane amount of money they get paid means they can have as many holidays as they like when they're retired.

As I've said above if UEFA had done something similar, which to be honest is just as likely, I very much doubt we'd be playing the under 23s in that game,.

They are highly paid because they are the best at what they do. Why not extend your argument to things like training or facilities? They're highly paid so why not ask them to make do with shitty changing rooms and second rate training facilities? Conditioning, rest and recuperation is as fundamental to keeping the team in top condition as everything else.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1525 on: January 28, 2020, 03:44:30 pm »
if we end the season with one or both then every decision Klopp made has been vindicated so far as i am concerned.

He's made this decision now, or at least in the last few weeks, when we already have one hand on the Premier League. If it was still touch and go I honestly don't think you would hear anyone questioning this decision. The league always comes first regardless of how far ahead or behind we find ourselves, but completely throwing away both domestic cups in one season by playing kids rankles a little.

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #1526 on: January 28, 2020, 03:45:53 pm »
Real Boss! Just watched the press conference and he was absolutely superb..if people still don't get it, then well...

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1527 on: January 28, 2020, 03:51:23 pm »
He's made this decision now, or at least in the last few weeks, when we already have one hand on the Premier League. If it was still touch and go I honestly don't think you would hear anyone questioning this decision. The league always comes first regardless of how far ahead or behind we find ourselves, but completely throwing away both domestic cups in one season by playing kids rankles a little.

Did we have much of a choice in the league cup?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1528 on: January 28, 2020, 03:51:31 pm »

but he's also taking into account the travel and games in Qatar, as well as the 2 other extra games. It's been a pretty extra ordinary season. And contrary to popular outside belief, the team has had injuries to contend with too. It's not just about how many points on the board, the intensity of the matches coming up won't change. Far from it.

Next seaon it may be different, who knows. Trying to win that elusive league is the be all and end all this season, I'm more than ok with that.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1529 on: January 28, 2020, 03:51:51 pm »

Why so? We were forced to throw one Cup and are halfway pushed to throw the other. It's not like we chose to throw them both right away.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1530 on: January 28, 2020, 04:01:09 pm »
He also wants to win the CL again - that means peaking over April - May so having one hand on the league isn’t shelf material to this

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1531 on: January 28, 2020, 04:06:45 pm »
Could not agree more... Just watched Jurgen's presser, he calls himself the normal one, but he has to be one of the smartest people I have come across in the public domain ---

He addresses issues head on, accepts responsibility for things, protects his players, and helps sort out what is right!   I just fucking love this man!

Well out Jurgen!

I do think there is a gap in understanding of what coaches do/think and other people ( a fee fans, FA exec, suits, media pundits and business people) without access to this information.

The day he leaves management he should be in charge of football.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1532 on: January 28, 2020, 04:08:50 pm »
He also wants to win the CL again - that means peaking over April - May so having one hand on the league isn’t shelf material to this

And a run in CL I'd take over any domestic cup triumph

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1533 on: January 28, 2020, 04:09:31 pm »
We surely will be taking part.

2021 FIFA Club World Cup will begin on
Thursday, 17 June
and ends on
Sunday, 4 July

So we're basically playing for two years straight from the start of 20/21 to the end of 21/22? Not to mention the Euros and Copa America this summer.

If Klopp needs a break now he'll be at breaking point by then.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1534 on: January 28, 2020, 04:12:02 pm »
And as he said, he had to decide before we played Manchester United and Wolves and could not simply assume we would win those matches.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1535 on: January 28, 2020, 04:14:00 pm »
Real Boss! Just watched the press conference and he was absolutely superb..if people still don't get it, then well...

Exactly.

Locked for the time being.

West Ham thread:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=344583.msg17018381#msg17018381
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1536 on: January 29, 2020, 07:42:35 am »
Jurgen's pre-West Ham/post Shrewsbury press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCex5bqL7dY&feature=youtu.be

Transcript:

"I feel a bit sorry for Shrewsbury because after the game everyone spoke about what I said and not about the great performance from them," he said in his pre-West Ham press conference on Tuesday.

"I thought I said it after the game but maybe I didn't make it clear enough or what I was was more important to the outside world.

"The next thing is we want to go through to the next round, that is still the plan. We are a Premier League team, Shrewsbury is a League One team. They got a draw from that game for different reasons so why should our Under-23s not be able to do that? So it's not that we have given up or something like that.

"I have to make decisions too. It's not that I want to make popular decisions, I have to make decisions based on the situation we are in.

"Some other people made decisions before the season when thinking about this season, whoever it was.

"The FA tried to do something with moving games to midweek to decrease the intensity of the period a little bit. Whoever was involved in that, if somebody from our club was involved in this as well maybe they forgot to say no, I don't know how it was discussed.

"The situation we ended up in they gave us two weeks. In the first moment you take two weeks but then it was not clear which week you get until you look into it.

"And then if we get the second week, we probably play a Champions League game that week. If we have the second week of these two weeks, our mid-season break would have ended Tuesday. That's nine days I think. We cannot take a week off and then say there are two days to prepare for Atletico Madrid. It's not possible.

"The other week is the first week for the all of the Champions League teams. It is the better week because there is no Champions League game. But then it came up that there could be a potential replay. Because we planned in the long-term, because this was really an intense period of the season coming up, when we knew we were in this round and would play Shrewsbury or Bristol that I decided we will have a mid-season break based on a letter we got in April 2019 when we were asked to respect this mid-season break.

"I do that and don't want to be in the middle of these discussions. I am not a revolutionary guy who wants to show the whole world how strong I can be. If people think because I am not here then I am lazy, I cannot change that. If they name me whatever they want to name me, I cannot change that and I'm not interested in it.

"The only responsibility I feel is to my players and to be honest, all the players as well. If we react like we always react - ‘okay we have to do it, we have to sort it somehow’ - nothing will change and I think all people in football agree that things have to change and we have to speak.

"How is it possible? I am not sure who was there in the discussions, I know the FA said every club, but no sporting people were there for the talks. No manager or sporting director. That is what we need. That is what has to change as well otherwise we have the same situation.

"It's difficult to find two weeks where you can give Premier League teams a week off and a week to prepare the next game because that is what we will do. This week is the break but it's not rest. It's not that our players don't train. We send coaches with them, wherever they go. Four or five players go to the same place and we send a coach. They train, just not here (at Melwood) and not football. Just enough to keep the body going a little bit.

"Then we have another week leading to the Norwich game I think and to the rest of the season which is a very important part of the season. When we decided, no-one knew we would win the next few Premier League games, we could have lost them and then we are in a different situation. Maybe people would have discussed it differently.

"But we had to make a decision and I have made a decision. Now it looks like people expect something different. I cannot do what all the people want out there. Could I be here for the game? Of course I could but that is a complete misunderstanding of management and coaching. I cannot just show up for it with two days' training and tell the boys. All the great coaches from the past could do it. It's not like Fabio Capello could go for two days with the Italy national team and everything would be fine. They need their coach and that is Critch. They need their coach, they get their coach and that is Critch. They have all our support and we try everything as a club to win that game.

"It's possible, it is possible. It's not easy, the way we saw Shrewsbury play, but it is possible. The mid-season break is now something that needs to be settled for the next years. All the parties need to come together and find a solution so it is not like this again. That is just not how it should be."

"We have to make this standpoint so it is clear. Everyone has a right to an opinion, I don't have a problem with that. I am responsible for my players and we have decided this is the mid-season break. It is what everyone needs for the next years. There is a discussion now, that is really good.

"I got a lot of support. It's not as though everyone has been asked but they've sent me messages and are in a similar situation to us, every year trying to find a way to get through the season. It's okay, it's our job, we do that. But with these long-term plans, if it's a mid-season break then it's a mid-season break."

“Klopp on specific training sessions during break: "We made the decision three weeks ago for this squad, not individual players. A game more or less would help but wouldn't make the overall difference. This is a stand point as well. It is the mid-season break, it’s not as though we can decide.

“The Associations already brought us into a situation a few weeks ago where we have to think do we play the League Cup or the Club World Cup. Why do we have to make a decision? There is a schedule, find a way. That’s normal. People asked us to play against Aston Villa because in England no-one really thinks it’s important to be there.

“We went there (to Qatar). If we had sent the kids there, it would have been a massive statement to the outside world that we are not interested in what they are interested in. It is a really big tournament for everyone apart from England, Germany… Europe let me say it like that. We were in that situation and now we are in it again.

“We have to make a decision and we need to have a schedule that we can rely on. Next year it needs to be mid-season break for everyone, not just Champions League because it’s mainly for them and the Europa League teams because they are the ones with the busiest schedule. This is not how it should be.

“I don't want to be the guy to make that decision but when Shrewsbury made it 2-2 I thought: 'Ah maybe this is destiny.' Now we take a stand and that’s what we have to do.

"I heard there were really clear opinions on replays and the financial situation for the lower-league clubs . I respect that, for most of my life I played for lower-league teams. I understand that situation 100%. But the replay cannot be the solution. We have to find other solutions. That’s how it is. There are solutions.

"The Oxford manager the other week said they have nine games in February. Shrewsbury fights for the league. That day they could have won a penalty shoot-out. They looked more likely to be the winning side than we did in that game. If they win, they go to the fifth round.

The Liverpool Echo sends a twice-daily Liverpool FC bulletin out via email, with the latest Reds stories to read or catch up on.

To sign up for this free service - or any of our other emails like news or what's on - just click here, add your email and click the messages you want to receive.

"If they had a penalty shootout, they could go to the next round. Good. I don’t know how many games they have but do they have a squad to play constantly three games a week at the highest-level? That’s why, with the quality they have, Shrewsbury is not higher in competition. It’s a solution for the moment but long-term it’s not a solution.

"It is a problem for these teams as well. We all have problems after this busy December and January as well when all the decisions will be made. Who goes into Europe, who will be champions, who stays in the league. Nothing has been decided yet.

"The replays really cause everyone problems. Financial side, yes, we need a solution because nobody wants to take the money away from the smaller clubs. But it’s not a solution.

"I know it’s tradition and it’s always difficult to break with tradition. I’m not from the country but I love cup competitions. In seven years at Dortmund, three or four times I was in the final. We didn’t win all of them, but it means we won every game up until then. It’s nothing to do with that.

"I have to see the bigger picture and that is what I do. That means the players will have their programme and I will not be there, not because I don't want to be but because I am not important. It is not about not showing up in my training gear to show the world I am here. It is about the best thing for the boys and that is to have their coach.

"Critchley did really, really well against Aston Villa. The goals we conceded, forget them. The game they played was exceptional and with a similar performance, the boys have a chance against Shrewsbury, 100%. You never have more than a chance before the game. The boys have a chance and I hope that they make it.

"I have no idea [if the FA will change anything]. I have said what I said and other people will find explanations. Everyone involved has to think differently and we all have to discuss things differently.

“The players' situation has to change. We’ve said it now, it’s not only me, and it’s been said a lot of times. Copa America again, European Championships, a lot of top class players have no break in the summer again. 2021 would have been a summer for everyone but now has a Club World Cup. That break is filled as well. It’s not possible anymore and it’s not comfortable to talk about again. It’s not my main problem."

"My main problem is only West Ham. I accept today you want to talk about it but I don't want to be the person who is the shouter for everybody. We have to stay strong and say 'no!' you cannot do that like this anymore.

"If we don’t start a discussion it is just more and more. Here another game, here another competition and a bigger Champions League. Of course it’s from the club’s point of view but we are part of the club and talk to all the important people. We want to play as often as possible but that’s the key word - ‘Possible’. You cannot play constantly. The biggest sports in the world all have breaks. In America they have four months off.

"Here it is constantly playing through. That’s all good but the players cannot do that. We limit careers and performance levels. That’s how it is. So why should I go I’m there Tuesday. It is the wrong statement. To have situation where everyone says, 'Jurgen is there so everything is fine' would be the wrong statement."

"From football point of view I say these players need their coach, not me acting like their coach. They need Critch and they get Critch, that’s it."

“If I have, I’ll sit and talk with them. I have no problem. I would never speak of it in public. 99% of things we discuss, I don’t speak of in public but it must be the right solution. And the right solution doesn’t mean the right solution for me but the right solution for the specific problem.

"If someone asks me, it is no problem to talk about it. We’ve spoken about it in this press conference already, we just need to record it and I don’t have to come there."
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1537 on: January 29, 2020, 07:44:39 am »
One of the great things about Klopp is that he is open and honest about everything he does. He's been absolutely clear about why he's done what he's done.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: January 29, 2020, 07:48:15 am »
Best part of that was the subtle dig when asked if he’d attend a meeting to discuss the schedule. Slipped one in there, paraphrasing:  ‘Yeah sure, if I have the time, or a winter break maybe.’ [emoji1787]

Good man Jurgen.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1539 on: January 29, 2020, 08:39:29 am »
"From football point of view I say these players need their coach, not me acting like their coach. They need Critch and they get Critch, that’s it."

Didn't PoP say something similar earlier? Makes perfect sense
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Huytonian

• Kopite
« Reply #1540 on: January 29, 2020, 08:43:20 am »

He was excellent
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1541 on: January 29, 2020, 08:44:36 am »
He did. Uncanny that.

Online Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #1542 on: January 29, 2020, 09:20:54 am »
For me one thing that Klopp isn’t and that’s disrespectful.

He’s not disrespectful to UK football, other teams big or small, other managers, players and more importantly he has never disrespected or misrepresented Liverpool as a city or a club!

I support him 100% and the decision he made was the correct one. Enough said!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1543 on: January 29, 2020, 10:19:14 am »
I love how so many have thrown the towel in as though this is as far as we go in the cup. 

Let's hope the Anfield faithful give the team their full support and aren't still chunnering about whether Jurgen was right or not.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #1544 on: January 29, 2020, 10:22:33 am »
Do the U23s and Neil Critchley have more time off during the season, then?  Genuine question - not trolling, honest.  They won't be getting a winter break.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1545 on: January 29, 2020, 10:23:40 am »
Do the U23s and Neil Critchley have more time off during the season, then?  Genuine question - not trolling, honest.  They won't be getting a winter break.

Rather obviously, U23 games are not as stressful, both physically and mentally, as both PL and CL games.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: January 29, 2020, 10:25:59 am »
They play a lot less matches and do basically get a winter break. They had a break between games from 20/12 to 5/1. Season also finishes a lot sooner
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:29:20 am by Chris~ »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1547 on: January 29, 2020, 10:26:01 am »
They barely play once a week never mind twice.  There's times they can go 2 or 3 weeks without a fixture and have to organise behind closed doors games just to keep them busy.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1548 on: January 29, 2020, 10:26:26 am »

They don't have enough games

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #1549 on: January 29, 2020, 10:27:09 am »
Rather obviously, U23 games are not as stressful, both physically and mentally, as both PL and CL games.

I agree - but do they start the season later/finish earlier?  I'm guessing they play fewer games and have more opportunities for days off?

Offline missis sumner

• Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #1550 on: January 29, 2020, 10:28:28 am »
They barely play once a week never mind twice.  There's times they can go 2 or 3 weeks without a fixture and have to organise behind closed doors games just to keep them busy.

Thanks.  I thought so, but wasn't sure because I don't follow the U23 as well as I should. :)

Edit: On a positive note, I should imagine they are really glad we got the draw. :D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1551 on: January 29, 2020, 10:29:37 am »
I agree - but do they start the season later/finish earlier?  I'm guessing they play fewer games and have more opportunities for days off?

They generally have some quite big gaps during the season - so a quick look suggests they played no games between 20th Dec and 5th Jan, and there have been other 2+ weeks breaks since Aug.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1552 on: January 29, 2020, 10:35:57 am »

also they don't play in Copa America, AFCON, and (like our Brazilians recently) in friendlies in Singapore, Saudi Arabia and Dubai

Online Andypandimonium

• Kopite
« Reply #1553 on: January 29, 2020, 10:43:52 am »
The Boss is putting his faith in the U23s for this game and so should we. They deserve the opportunity as much as anyone and with a full house of superfans behind them, a victory should be achievable. If not, well so be it.

Upthereds  :scarf :champ :scarf

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1554 on: January 29, 2020, 10:51:01 am »

To be fair, that's not exactly rocket science. ;)
I would also argue it's a way of showing some appreciation to the U23 coaching staff by letting them have a game at Anfield and of course it also shows that Jürgen has trust in them to get the job done. If he thought he had to be there to have a chance of winning the game, I think that would be a sign that there's something wrong with the people we employ... Other than that, there should not be any discussion about Klopp's decision to give the players some time off. He has explained it in detail and it makes complete sense.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1555 on: January 29, 2020, 10:54:05 am »
Thanks.  I thought so, but wasn't sure because I don't follow the U23 as well as I should. :)

Edit: On a positive note, I should imagine they are really glad we got the draw. :D
They'll be buzzing definitely, especially the ones not normally involved with the 1st team or regularly training at Melwood.

When they played at Villa it was interesting hearing Critch say they did exactly what the 1st team would do for an away game.  They all trained at Melwood, then travelled down and stayed overnight before the game. 

They wanted the lads to experience fully what being a senior pro is all about.

The only thing that didn't happen was them all travelling home together afterwards as the younger lads left immediately after the game and went home with their parents [emoji16]

Offline shawnk

• redemptn
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1556 on: February 1, 2020, 03:54:07 am »
Such an easy solution to this.

Club is sending out a very strong message this season that they are not able to compete in more than 2 competitions.

It would be so much more fair and honest to everyone to make it official by declaring we won't be entering these two cups until circumstances change.

Section of fans that still value this cup would have an easier time dealing with this kind of approach imo. This farce is not doing anyone any favours

Exactly. Let’s not be greedy either and try to win them all. IMO it’s not so much about the planned holiday but a good physical and mental test to the first team players to allow them to focus and finish off our primary objective this season, winning the Premier League and Champions League. We can do the treble next season when we expand the squad depth and give the players further experience of winning and be consistently about. To me, this is the right management style to achieve a long term goals and we set priority when you truly understand the depth of your squad/team and not let it be another regular Liverpool season.

IMO, Klopp is doing marvellous job in managing the team.

Offline shawnk

• redemptn
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1557 on: February 1, 2020, 04:10:01 am »

Beside that it’s good for their experience in senior cup competition like this and they will be eager to show what they can do to the club, fans and most importantly to Klopp to get promoted to senior or first.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1558 on: February 1, 2020, 01:55:33 pm »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #1559 on: February 1, 2020, 06:37:57 pm »
Haha...love this fella! At the post match presser today.

Press 'that's 100 points from your last 102 games' (not points!)
Klopp instant reply 'well that's a bit shit!'
« Last Edit: February 1, 2020, 08:15:48 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)