Author Topic: Welcome Adrian  (Read 151739 times)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Re: Welcome Adrian
« Reply #840 on: January 27, 2020, 10:00:13 am »
God knows what Achterberg has been doing to our keepers, but it's arguable they've been our best players recently.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #841 on: January 27, 2020, 02:25:59 pm »
This guy has really surprised me.

I had watched him at West Ham and he was nothing more than a solid keeper in my head, without any real standout qualities and I don't ever remember him performing at the level Fabianski has done for them.

He took a few games to settle down with us IMO - getting used to trying to play it out to the back four instead of just clearing it, being pressed at times etc... but he has done really well and especially in these Cup games against Everton and Shrewsbury, has kept us in the games.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #842 on: January 27, 2020, 03:12:39 pm »
Shame he won't play in the replay. With him, a couple of seniors like Origi and Matip, we should win the replay at Anfield even with the kids. That's how good he is. Heck, I'd take even him alone with the kids and still be confident.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #843 on: January 27, 2020, 03:53:34 pm »
MOTM yesterday and great backup for Allison.  We came out of that game with Adrian as a big plus again.

Was a short quiz about Spanish players with him and Cherivella (sp?) before the game on the stream i was watching.  Both came over well and Adrian seems such a sound bloke.  I keep waiting for him to show some weakness - Not a bit.  I'm sure he is great influence for the kids to have around.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #844 on: January 27, 2020, 05:11:47 pm »
I hope he'll get the nod to play in the replay, since he needs gametime anyway. I'm sure he's up for it.
Linudden.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: January 27, 2020, 06:39:05 pm »
I don’t get this - there was no clamor last year to find a game for Mignolet because he needed games.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #846 on: January 27, 2020, 09:51:26 pm »
I don’t get this - there was no clamor last year to find a game for Mignolet because he needed games.
Mig wasn't really up to much, though was he? Adrian has proved to be quality keeper. Think we'd all love him to stay longer as a No.2, as he's better than many No 1s. But to persuade him to stay might mean getting him regular games otherwise it'll make sense for him to move on.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #847 on: January 27, 2020, 09:52:55 pm »
Adrian must be desperate to play some games. Would be bizarre to give him a rest when we've got an FA cup 4th round to play. Klopp will hopefully back down a little.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: January 27, 2020, 11:29:11 pm »
Adrian must be desperate to play some games. Would be bizarre to give him a rest when we've got an FA cup 4th round to play. Klopp will hopefully back down a little.

True. He hasn’t played much this season like most back up keepers.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #849 on: January 28, 2020, 11:27:37 am »
God knows what Achterberg has been doing to our keepers, but it's arguable they've been our best players recently.

he's been very lucky this season, no Mignolet and the woeful Karius to soil the sheets

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #850 on: January 28, 2020, 11:28:38 am »

I sincerely hope so,  I want a good attempt on the FA Cup this season as we have got a significant buffer in the Premier League

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #851 on: February 11, 2020, 12:58:17 am »
Fantastic interview with Adrian:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51374515

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #852 on: February 11, 2020, 01:09:31 am »

Brilliant interview, thanks for posting! Adrian comes across as a very nice chap.

Too bad for him we don't play our keepers in alphabetical order: Adrian, Ali, Andy... only A seniors... :)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: February 11, 2020, 03:48:40 am »

Offline aussie_ox

• Main Stander
  • LFC Blood Red all the way
« Reply #854 on: February 11, 2020, 04:49:55 am »
Adrian seems like a top character.   What's this about him wanting to join Betis again?   I'd like to hang on to Adrian as it will be hard to find a better #2 keeper anywhere.   Most keepers of his ability want to be a #1 somehwere. 
Klopp that!

Offline sushared

• Main Stander
« Reply #855 on: February 11, 2020, 11:49:57 am »
great read. our leaders are amazing. gesture of him having the trophy for the night is real booster.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: February 11, 2020, 11:56:51 am »
So will he stay this summer or will offers come in for him to start somewhere? He can probably still play at a high level for 3 years.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #857 on: February 11, 2020, 12:03:37 pm »
West Ham made a big mistake in not trying hard enough to keep him. The goal keeper position has really cost them this season with Fabiański being injured and Roberto being $hit. It would be ironic if they went down because they didn't keep the goalie who helped us win the league.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: February 11, 2020, 12:14:06 pm »
So will he stay this summer or will offers come in for him to start somewhere? He can probably still play at a high level for 3 years.

Be amazed if he doesn't get offers of a number 1 job be it in the prem or Spain. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if he left, and that's fine, wouldn't begrudge him for a second!

But for now, he's a fantastic part of this squad, and what a season he's played a huge part in so far!

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: February 11, 2020, 12:33:54 pm »
West Ham made a big mistake in not trying hard enough to keep him. The goal keeper position has really cost them this season with Fabiański being injured and Roberto being $hit. It would be ironic if they went down because they didn't keep the goalie who helped us win the league.

Hindsight's 20/20 though. They couldn't have known Fabianski, a better keeper, would be injured. And it sounds like Adrian wanted a change of scene anyway.

Not to defend West Ham - they're woefully incompetent. Just think not renewing his contract - which they may have tried to get him to do - isn't near the top of the list of many awful decisions!

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #860 on: February 11, 2020, 01:01:08 pm »
Hindsight's 20/20 though. They couldn't have known Fabianski, a better keeper, would be injured. And it sounds like Adrian wanted a change of scene anyway.

Not to defend West Ham - they're woefully incompetent. Just think not renewing his contract - which they may have tried to get him to do - isn't near the top of the list of many awful decisions!

In the interview with the bbc he says they offered him a contract but it wasn't very generous. This is what he said.

I'd made a drastic decision not to stay any longer at West Ham, despite having a three-year contract offer on the table. I hadn't played a single game all season in the Premier League. I didn't feel valued economically either, to be honest.

Maybe they didn't try hard enough? Maybe he was going to leave anyway?

As regards hindsight, you need a good backup keeper. That's sensible contingency. Goal keepers do get injured, and it's not like other positions where you can swap players around.

Maybe they thought Roberto was good, but there's not much reason to think so. Look at the contingency plans we put in place - not letting Migs go till we had a replacement, signing Lonergan, keeping Kelleher.

West Ham spent a lot of money elsewhere in the team, skimped on the reserve goalie, and it's come back to bite them on the arsenal.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: February 11, 2020, 01:22:59 pm »
Maybe they thought Roberto was good, but there's not much reason to think so. Look at the contingency plans we put in place - not letting Migs go till we had a replacement, signing Lonergan, keeping Kelleher.

It's not only having the good sense to make proper contingency plans, it's having the level of insight and analysis to identify that the keeper deemed not good enough to be first choice at West Ham, and regarded by Spanish pundits as only good for the scrap heap, would be capable of being understudy to the best keeper in the world.

Yet again, we hit the jackpot. And did it without spending a fortune in transfer fees. It's ridiculous how well the club is run these days, especially when you think how extraordinarily badly it was being run just a few years ago.

West Ham spent a lot of money elsewhere in the team, skimped on the reserve goalie, and it's come back to bite them on the arsenal.

Not sure who are the bigger idiots - West Ham or Chelsea, for spunking £72m on a keeper they are now looking to replace 18 months later. Just think - if they'd realised last summer how shit Kepa is (like everyone else had already worked out by then), and had the nous to realise there was a decent keeper available for free, they could have been in for Adrian and made him their no1.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #862 on: February 11, 2020, 01:57:33 pm »
Can't begrudge Adrian if he gets a good offer to be a no 1 elsewhere, I would hope he will feel he can pick and choose his destination and not just take any offer. Even Mig went to a team in the CL.

I think he said that Betis is no longer an option (as no1). If it isn't O reckon he will stay here another year.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #863 on: February 11, 2020, 02:02:41 pm »
Do you think Adrian is an arm around the shoulder kind of player, who really responds to being wanted. Thus with the squad Klopp has created he feels settled here, and his performance has gone up a level. I am not convinced that the West Ham Adrian would have responded in quite the same way to being thrust into the first team.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #864 on: February 11, 2020, 02:18:07 pm »
It's not only having the good sense to make proper contingency plans, it's having the level of insight and analysis to identify that the keeper deemed not good enough to be first choice at West Ham, and regarded by Spanish pundits as only good for the scrap heap, would be capable of being understudy to the best keeper in the world.

Yet again, we hit the jackpot. And did it without spending a fortune in transfer fees. It's ridiculous how well the club is run these days, especially when you think how extraordinarily badly it was being run just a few years ago.

Not sure who are the bigger idiots - West Ham or Chelsea, for spunking £72m on a keeper they are now looking to replace 18 months later. Just think - if they'd realised last summer how shit Kepa is (like everyone else had already worked out by then), and had the nous to realise there was a decent keeper available for free, they could have been in for Adrian and made him their no1.

Yes, it was a very good spot by us. It seems like it was a very good analysis.

I've no idea what's happening with Kepa. Why was he ever so highly rated, I mean he was heavily liked to Real Madrid before he went to Chelsea?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #865 on: February 11, 2020, 02:30:33 pm »

Really good interview, cheers for posting. Seems a really nice bloke and well liked.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #866 on: February 11, 2020, 03:11:39 pm »
Yes, it was a very good spot by us. It seems like it was a very good analysis.

I've no idea what's happening with Kepa. Why was he ever so highly rated, I mean he was heavily liked to Real Madrid before he went to Chelsea?

It's possible that he has simply been promoted too soon.  It was a bit of a panic buy from Chelsea after missing out to us on Alisson. Quite how they thought that a younger less experienced keeper with little intl caps was worth more than Ali.

Similar to De Gea who was also bought young, he struggled through the first season but somehow got the Spain Jersey off the back of it. Unlike De Gea he probably doesn't have the support structure to develop and progress.

In contrast, Adrian has come into a mature setup and management who know how to get the best of him and it's showed in his performances.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: February 11, 2020, 03:20:37 pm »

I don't think he was ever that highly rated, it was just that he was young and had the physical attributes to be a good goalkeeper, plus he was competent with his feet and had a top flight season behind him as a number one. He was also never worth £80 million and nobody thought he was. It was just that he played for Bilbao, and due to their transfer philosophy, they don't sell any players for less than their release clause. Real Madrid might have been interested, but they never would have come close to matching what was needed.

The above and Chelsea's desperation for a new 'keeper created the perfect storm really. They tried to sign Oblak but he wasn't interested, and Alisson had already signed for us. They were left with taking a risk with Kepa or looking at the likes of Butland and Schmeichel which their fans would have been unhappy with. In reality, they would have been better off promoting Cabellero, who is semi-competent, and waiting for a top-class 'keeper to come through or become available.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:23:23 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #868 on: February 11, 2020, 03:50:09 pm »
snip

Well we've been there. Andy Carrol, Baloteli. Thankfully we're not run like that anymore.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #869 on: February 11, 2020, 03:59:57 pm »
Top bloke Adrian.

But to be honest, unless you are Karius who doesn’t treasure the kind of opportunity he was given , any half decent keeper would look fully decent in front of VVD Matip Gomez Trent Robertson and Milner.

If you are facing shots all the time like Adrian did in West Ham, then chances are some will go in. But not to take anything away from him, I thought he took his chances when thrown into the deep end, fully justifying Klopp’s decision to sign him.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: February 11, 2020, 07:05:33 pm »
I'd hate to lose him - especially if a club like Chelsea or Leicester came knocking  - but we'd get at least £40m for the lad. He's helped win us the league.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: February 11, 2020, 07:16:21 pm »
I'd hate to lose him - especially if a club like Chelsea or Leicester came knocking  - but we'd get at least £40m for the lad. He's helped win us the league.

:D

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: February 11, 2020, 08:54:45 pm »
any half decent keeper would look fully decent in front of VVD Matip Gomez Trent Robertson and Milner.

Disagree. There’s a lot more to it than simply being a “half decent keeper” - after all, Mignolet fits that description.

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #873 on: February 11, 2020, 08:59:30 pm »
Loved that bit about James Milner and the trophy. So many good vibes around the club at the moment.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #874 on: February 11, 2020, 08:59:41 pm »
Top bloke Adrian.

But to be honest, unless you are Karius who doesn’t treasure the kind of opportunity he was given , any half decent keeper would look fully decent in front of VVD Matip Gomez Trent Robertson and Milner.

If you are facing shots all the time like Adrian did in West Ham, then chances are some will go in. But not to take anything away from him, I thought he took his chances when thrown into the deep end, fully justifying Klopp’s decision to sign him.

You on the Bostik?.......So ye reckon Jordan Pickford would look half decent?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: February 11, 2020, 09:04:13 pm »
People do realize you can praise Adrian for his performances without taking cheap shots at Mignolet and Karius? He did enough good for us this season to deserve being praised for his performances in a vacuum.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #876 on: February 11, 2020, 09:07:43 pm »
People do realize you can praise Adrian for his performances without taking cheap shots at Mignolet and Karius? He did enough good for us this season to deserve being praised for his performances in a vacuum.

It was the cheap shots at them, that got everyone so pissed off with them.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: February 12, 2020, 11:45:42 am »
anyone know his shot faced/saved % for us?
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #878 on: February 12, 2020, 02:06:22 pm »

Can't see why he'd prefer the leicester bench to ours. Chelsea might be appealing, but only if he's promised the #1 spot. Realistically, Real Betis would probably want him and we should get somehwere around 15 million for him if its them. I wouldn't begrudge him the move to his hometown club, but if its Chelsea or Leicester, then I hope we fleece them for everything they have.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: February 12, 2020, 03:05:33 pm »
anyone know his shot faced/saved % for us?

Last I saw it was in the mid 60's, which was about in the middle of all PL keepers.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp