Author Topic: 2018/2019 Season Expectations...where will we finish? what will we win?  (Read 19949 times)

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
Re: 2017/2018 Season Expectations...where will we finish? what will we win?
« Reply #40 on: September 1, 2017, 11:28:47 am »
In short ...

League - Title? No chance with this defence and GK even if they all managed to stay fit all season. Top 4? Yes, above Arsenal and Spurs.
CL - ditto. We should get out of the group but as soon as we meet a class outfit in the knockout stages we'll get hammered.
League cup/FA CUP - Very hopeful of winning one or both of these. Doable.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #41 on: September 1, 2017, 11:31:12 am »
Our defence will cost us trophies and the top two. But with our midfield and attack and the addition of Salah, AOC and fingers crossed Mane for the whole season then we should secure 3rd or 4th.

Of course on our day we can beat anyone so never rule us out of the cups but there are 6 or 7 teams who in this league who can beat anyone on their day and leak less goals, so I don't see us winning anything or getting into the top two.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: September 1, 2017, 11:32:06 am »
In short ...

League - Title? No chance with this defence and GK even if they all managed to stay fit all season. Top 4? Yes, above Arsenal and Spurs.
CL - ditto. We should get out of the group but as soon as we meet a class outfit in the knockout stages we'll get hammered.

Agree but won't get hammered in Europe, even with this defence.

The most frustrating thing for me is though with Dijk I truly believe we'd have a chance with most competitions but now no chance sadly.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #43 on: September 1, 2017, 11:33:42 am »
Our defence will cost us trophies and the top two. But with our midfield and attack and the addition of Salah, AOC and fingers crossed Mane for the whole season then we should secure 3rd or 4th.

Of course on our day we can beat anyone so never rule us out of the cups but there are 6 or 7 teams who in this league who can beat anyone on their day and leak less goals, so I don't see us winning anything or getting into the top two.

Interestingly I think our strengths and weaknesses do make us a threat in the cups including the CL (not the league cup though as we're not playing anyone over 17 in it)

Over 38 games your defensive flaws are going to manifest enough that you can't get away with it
In knockout games you just need to run hot and have teams miss the clear chances they create for a couple of games (remember we don't give up lots of chances because our midfield is so dominant but when we do we give up big chances) so we're a threat to beat anyone over 1 or 2 games.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 1, 2017, 11:34:01 am »
"our defence doesn't need to be better" is quite the claim... not sure I can roll with you on that one.

Our back four and goal keeper as a unit have a very mid table feel about them which is pretty much backed up by our numbers. We're not a bad team defensively - in fact we're excellent at shot prevention. But when teams get beyond our midfield they find it easy to score against us. We concede an alarming amount of clear cut chances for a team as good as we are

Pre season optimism is great but it won't magically cure the biggest weaknesses in the squad.
Our front 6 is good enough to win the league if it stays fit. Pretty had to make that statement about our back 5

Should be an entertaining season!!
Don't disagree with this, but I've read that our record, goals conceded, is much better when Matip plays (under a goal a game), a lot worse when he doesn't. Is that random, or would it show up in the underlying numbers?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 1, 2017, 11:38:51 am »
Don't disagree with this, but I've read that our record, goals conceded, is much better when Matip plays (under a goal a game), a lot worse when he doesn't. Is that random, or would it show up in the underlying numbers?

It would show up. Haven't looked specifically but he does rate very well in every metric except in the air where he's not great. But he's really good on the deck and also under rated as a passer. He's also the defender on our books who best understands how to play the high line / zonal system klopp likes. So yeah - his fitness is pretty pivotal for us

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 1, 2017, 11:40:27 am »
Should finish in the top 3

New Year's Eve last year we was sitting in a great position.

Then the injuries and African cup came and things went south.

We've strengthened and I think we'll be bettered prepared for the turn of the year this time.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #47 on: September 1, 2017, 11:50:12 am »
Should finish in the top 3

New Year's Eve last year we was sitting in a great position.

Then the injuries and African cup came and things went south.

We've strengthened and I think we'll be bettered prepared for the turn of the year this time.

You can't just expect everything to mirror last seasons pattern though.

We were top at new year but it might be different this time
Lallana out until November for starters.
Hopefully our squad will remain strong throughout and we maintain a challenge
Hopefully too we'll sign in January this year! Might be pivotal
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Rednev

• Main Stander
« Reply #48 on: September 1, 2017, 11:51:09 am »
Far enough off top spot that we won't be considered to be in the title race. Similar number of points to last season, which ordinarily should comfortably keep us in the top four.

We won't be quite as successful against the other top teams as we were last season, so we'll need to be more competent against the rest of the league.

We'll take a proper scalp in the Champions League, and might go further than any other English team.

Offline LondonLFCFan

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: September 1, 2017, 11:51:21 am »
When we win every game and every title this year, then we can let PC go to Barca for 200 mil next season  ;)
We are in good hands now under Klopp and FSG. Fantastic time as LFC supporter. Exciting times !

We will never forget you Mr Rafa Benitez for what you have done for us. Thank you.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=256378.msg6822596#msg6822596

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=293625.msg10340260#msg1034

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 1, 2017, 11:54:14 am »
It would show up. Haven't looked specifically but he does rate very well in every metric except in the air where he's not great. But he's really good on the deck and also under rated as a passer. He's also the defender on our books who best understands how to play the high line / zonal system klopp likes. So yeah - his fitness is pretty pivotal for us
Cheers. Backs up my impression when I watch him play as well. Perhaps our most important player to keep fit this season then?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 1, 2017, 12:00:40 pm »
Secondly the defence doesn't need to be better! a joke surely? Unbelievable. Even the most positive fan must appreciate it needs to improve?

"our defence doesn't need to be better" is quite the claim... not sure I can roll with you on that one.

Well you're both massively understanding.

I said our defence doesn't need to improve for us to finish in the top three, as that was the question posed. We could have easily have finished in the top three last season with the same defence.

I did not say that our defence doesn't need to improve full stop.

Apologies welcome ;D
« Last Edit: September 1, 2017, 12:02:30 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 1, 2017, 12:04:44 pm »
Top 3 at least like most say does seem like a two division tier of the top 6, after some underwhelming transfer business I would put Spurs,  Chelsea and Arsenal in the bottom tier.  Then it comes down to very fine margins between us, City and Utd.  The best thing is I feel for the  1st time we are setup to compete year in year out, we are signing the right type of players and feel like the most progressive team in the country,  players want to come here over our rivals. How the fuck can anyone not be excited?!!!  ;D

Not sure why anyone would put Utd above Chelsea apart from the fact they've beaten West Ham, Swansea and Leicester in consecutive games? Which, to be honest, you'd have expected, even on last seasons form.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 1, 2017, 12:05:35 pm »
Win all the trophies.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 1, 2017, 12:07:56 pm »
As I said in this thread or maybe a similar named one, third without vvd and keita.

Got a decent shot at a domestic cup too I reckon

So next season 1St then  ;D

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 1, 2017, 12:08:57 pm »
Cheers. Backs up my impression when I watch him play as well. Perhaps our most important player to keep fit this season then?

Nah defenders are boring ... all aboard the roller coaster ;)

(yeah he might be actually - only one we don't really have a replacement for. Klavan and Lovren together in this system is not good)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 1, 2017, 12:10:27 pm »
Well you're both massively understanding.

I said our defence doesn't need to improve for us to finish in the top three, as that was the question posed. We could have easily have finished in the top three last season with the same defence.

I did not say that our defence doesn't need to improve full stop.

Apologies welcome ;D

I apologise... not just for this but for everything.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 1, 2017, 12:10:39 pm »
We've got the best attack in the country and can cover injuries there and in midfield, if Matip stays fit we have a great shot at winning the league, if he doesn't there's no chance though. Not sure what I "expect".

Online Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 1, 2017, 12:13:01 pm »
I know we're all disappointed (or insane with rage, depending on who you are) over not signing Van Dijk, but it shouldn't wreck our chances, only diminish them. We were in the running until Christmas last season, and now we've added another wide attacker, more depth across midfield and wide in Oxlade Chamberlain, and a recognised LB. Mane and Matip won't be unavailable due to AFCON, Henderson is hopefully fit again, and it's another pre-season to absorb Klopp's methods. I think we'll challenge for the title and go to at least the QF of the CL. Domestic cup progress might depend on kind early draws when the kids and reserves are playing more. I expect a very good season.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #59 on: September 1, 2017, 12:23:03 pm »

1st place in the Premier League. Quarter Finals in CL.

League Cup and FA Cup will be exciting as our bench is young, talented and hungry.

The additions of Salah, AOC, TAA, Robertson and Solanke (plus pseudo new signings Moreno and Sturridge) will be huge for us when we go against teams that park the bus. We will score early, force them to open up to chase a point and then score 2 or 3 more. We won't just beat the dross, we will crush them. That will lead to us scoring more and conceding less. They will eventually feel defeated in the tunnel before a ball is kicked rather than think that we are vulnerable to their tactics.

Onwards and upwards.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #60 on: September 1, 2017, 12:28:26 pm »
I don't think we'll challenge for the title this season personally, but you never know. We should have enough to finish top four though and there is absolutely no excuse for us not to win a trophy. We should qualify from the group stages of the CL as well.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 1, 2017, 12:34:32 pm »
1st
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #62 on: September 1, 2017, 12:40:40 pm »
I feel content.

We showed last year that we can be involved in a title race - at least until January! If we need to strengthen then, then I would think we will. That's when we collapsed last year.

We were gifted a CL group that should see us qualify from. That ends in December and if we make it, the last 16 isn't until mid/late February. Perhaps a harder CL group may have seen us be more aggressive in the transfer market

The FA Cup doesn't begin until January.

The League Cup isn't a massive priority and could see us rotate.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that we need to capitalise on this good form/start and get through the next 4 months and then re-assess. We are more than capable of carrrying on this form for the next few months.

We are very strong in the FB, midfielder and attacking options. Disappointed not to strengthen in central defence but we need to build on the positives and hope the team collectively step up and become a bit cuter. A bit nastier.

I don't see a situation where we don't improve as a team - full back areas look stronger, in terms of depth and competition and on the left, what looks to be a young quality LB. Compared to this time last year the GK situation looks better, we can improve that position no doubt but in terms of what we have, Mignolet looks more settled. Our captain is fit again and alongside him, an improved Emre Can and a Gino Wjinaldum who had a strong first season under his belt. And the attack speaks for itself. The defence, due to the way we play, will always be exposed but I hope we have learned lessons as a team - protection and set pieces.

Everyone needs luck - we are no different. Especially with injuries.

We are a very good side, with a superb manager and a stronger squad than we had last year. I'm more than confident that we can finish on more points than wwe ended on last season. And I hope we can perhaps nail a trophy.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #63 on: September 1, 2017, 12:44:49 pm »
In short ...

Come on, if you think we are going to finish in the top 4 above Spurs and Arsenal (who both have title aspirations) then surely there's a chance to win the league. We will challenge, that challenge has already begun, we've looked very good in the last four games and have beaten Arsenal and Hoffenheim very convincingly. Whether the challenge continues depends on how well we recruit in the Winter Transfer and how many infuries we pick up, if our squad stays relatively injury free till Jan we will be on course for a proper title push.

As for the CL, we've already thrashed Hoff and Arsenals (a side who were in the CL last season) and we did well against Bayern in the Audi Cup. I don't see any club in the CL that is that far ahead of Chelsea of Nan City, yet we know we can beat both of those on our day. We can win the CL this season. We've got experience of going all the way to a final under Herr Klopp in a tough EL.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #64 on: September 1, 2017, 12:50:47 pm »
Fight for 4th in league - City and Utd 1 & 2 in any order then us, Spurs and Chelsea to fight for the other 2 places.
Fancy us to go to QF in the champions league.
Semi final league cup run.
FA cup winners.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 1, 2017, 12:53:29 pm »
Think we'll end up in 2nd or 3rd in the league and will make it to the knockout stages of the CL, potentially to the QF depending on who we draw in the first knockout round. 

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 1, 2017, 12:54:01 pm »
In short ...

Misery guts. 'As soon as we meet a class outfit' - we can just look in the mirror for that.

League - top 3
Domestic cups - win at least one please
CL - get out of the groups. could be a surprise package here so quite hopeful of going far - semis?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 1, 2017, 12:56:43 pm »

Semi final league cup run.

You can this or a successful season in other competitions not both

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 1, 2017, 01:24:37 pm »
League title form- win by 2 pts, city second
Champions league final win 4-3
KO fa cup 4th round 1-0

Offline Art of Lies

• The anime Effes. RAWK never forgets the tentacles.
  • Kopite
« Reply #69 on: September 1, 2017, 01:48:03 pm »
I think realistic targets are to cement our position in the top 4 and make it through the group stages of the Champions league.

I want/expect us to make a more sustained challenge for the league but end up with a top 3 finish. I think we are now serious contenders but are fractionally short of where we need to be to win the league.

I think at this stage of the teams development and with the squad we currently have that it is not in our best interest to care too much about the other cups, of course they are nice trophy's to have but they are the icing on the cake and I think it would be a mistake to put too much effort into them if that risks damaging all the progress we have made. It is this progress that I feel should have us capable of being champions next season and/or in at least the semi-finals of the Champions league. And yes I know that that sounds suspiciously like "next year is our..." but I am counting on evolution and I am not quite confident we are in for a revolution.
'If I had known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.'

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #70 on: September 1, 2017, 01:51:51 pm »
Top 3 in the league  as long as we have luck with injuiys,  long runs in the Cl and Fa cup, league cup not arsed at the moment.
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 1, 2017, 01:56:57 pm »

League - 3rd/4th
League cup - no
FA cup - no
CL- quarter final stages at Best

We will be fantastic to watch but no team with Lovren / Klavan in central defence will win a major trophy especially one requiring consistent performances.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #72 on: September 1, 2017, 02:01:19 pm »
Beat Man City...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 1, 2017, 02:02:12 pm »
Ahhh so this is where the whiners from the transfer thread have now gone.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 1, 2017, 02:04:19 pm »
League - 3rd or 4th.

Cl - semis

Fa - no

League cup -  yes
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #75 on: September 1, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »

virtually everyone has said we'll finish at least top 4 ...with a fair few predicting we'll win the league....have you been reading the right thread?.....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #76 on: September 1, 2017, 02:12:58 pm »
Top 3
Good run in all competitions, winning one

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 1, 2017, 02:15:24 pm »
Matip stays fit then sign a good CB in Jan then 2nd/3rd

Matip out early on but sign a good CB in Jan 4th

Matip out a long time with no one coming in 6th

Matip and Dijk (if we got him) stayed fit all season 1st

Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #78 on: September 1, 2017, 02:24:21 pm »
Our defence was fine first half of last year with hendo protecting. I'm super confident this year. Don't see Utd as a big threat. I reckon us and city will fight it out.

2nd in the league, slight inexperience / exhuberance may cost us.
CL winners. We've got this.
Think we'll do well in the cups but may need to compromise later in the year.

The list of players we can turn to as serious options that for whatever reason weren't available last year is really impressive. It's one and a keeper shy of a very good 11.

Henderson
Salah
Robertson
Moreno
AOC
Solanke
Gomez
TAA
Sturridge

Edit: forgot Grujic

« Last Edit: September 1, 2017, 02:58:51 pm by The Test »

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 1, 2017, 02:25:38 pm »

???
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”