Author Topic: Match Preview: Watford vs. Liverpool [Saturday 12 August 2017, K.O. 12:30]  (Read 49076 times)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
We've no other option at present.

jaysus only 1st game and no other options

Offline 9god9

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I think we will struggle on Saturday, I think with the injuries and this coutinho stuff. I think they'll do us with balls over the top and on set pieces. We will struggle to break them down, this silva knows how to play against us.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
jaysus only 1st game and no other options
Most of the injured players should be back soon enough, its only Lallana who wont be available for a few months.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think we will struggle on Saturday, I think with the injuries and this coutinho stuff. I think they'll do us with balls over the top and on set pieces. We will struggle to break them down, this silva knows how to play against us.
What Coutinho stuff? I doubt it'll affect him or anyone else in the team.

Offline 9god9

• Kemlynite
What Coutinho stuff? I doubt it'll affect him or anyone else in the team.

I think it will, they'll all be talking about it and it's gonna dominate the build up to our match

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
I worry about our attack when we have neither of the pace & direct threat in the front three of Mane or Salah.

Or

We have neither of the creativity of Lallana or Coutinho in CM.

Looks like the latter might be a possibility given Coutinho has this back issue and isn't training.

A CM of Henderson as the deepest CM, with Wijnaldum and Can would lack creativity.  Wijnaldum has the talent to do it I feel & really should be looking to step up and be the leader in that regard without the other two.  But last season he didn't really do that.  He played very well, but mostly that was with his energy, simple use of the ball and defensive work.  I'd love him to not play within himself as much if that is the midfield we go with and he is the one looking to feed the front three. 

I'm not sure if it is possible anymore, given his injury history.  But if Coutinho can't start I would like to see Henderson in the box to box role alongside Wijnaldum and Can as the deeper CM.  So in effect Can & Henderson switching roles.  I feel Henderson is better at pressing than Can and you do more pressing in that role.  I feel Henderson is more creative.  Let's not forget the season after we lost Suarez, Henderson was playing in that role and was our most productive player in the league that season with 6 goals & 9 assists.  That was more productive than Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho that season.

I wish they asked questions like that in the press conference, asking if Henderson can still do that role given his injury history and is he considered as one of the players who can do that role.  Because if he is, when we don't have Lallana or Coutinho, I feel he could be our best option and Can always looks best as the deepest CM.

Instead we'll get predictable questions saying "are you looking forward to the new season Jurgen?", "Questions about Coutinho staying at the club" etc - all questions which we could probably answer for Klopp himself.  Of course he's looking forward to the new season, he won't comment on transfer speculation... ask some questions where we might get some insight from our manager.

The other option I feel we could have if Coutinho doesn't play, is to go with a diamond formation.  Salah and Firmino can play upfront.  Salah has played upfront for Roma before to great effect.  They'll offer a huge threat combined with their movement, the speed of Salah and Watford would be wary of playing too high of a defensive line.  Then Mane could play behind then in the tip of a diamond.  The concern about that though is is could narrow our play and expose our full backs more.

My preference assume Coutinho can't play would be to get Henderson back playing the role he used to play before Klopp took over.  If we had Lallana or Coutinho fit, then I'd have him as the deepest CM.  But they might not be fit and if the captain is capable of playing the box to box role, given his injury history, then I think he'd be a better option than Can in that role.  As he is more productive, creative, the better presser and will allow Can to do what he's good at, being physical & dominant as our deepest CM to protect our defence.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander

It's a tough opener for sure BUT we have a high level of confidence after winning the Asia Cup and getting to the final of the Audi Cup (all away from home). Salah has bedded in and despite all the speculation, Coutinho is playing well for the team and looks ready for to begin the season.

All this worry about their aerial threat is fine and dandy but we can mix it too. I like seeing Liverpool using the aerial route to goal - we now have Matip, Lovren, Solanke and Origi who can cause teams problems in the air.

We give them more things to worry about than they give us.

Ideally I'd like us to make a statement with a crushing victory but will accept and expect a less convincing victory. 1-3.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
We've no other option at present.

Nonsense!

4-3-3

"DM" - Hendo/Can/Gini
"CM" - Hendo/Can/Gini/Gruijic/Wooburn
"Other CM - "Hendo/Can/Gini/Gruijic/Wooburn

4-4-2 diamond

DM - Hendo/Can/Gini
RM - Hendo/Milner/Gruijic/Can/Woodburn
LM - Hendo/Milner/Gruijic/Can/Woodburn
AM - Gini/Woodburn/Firmino/Salah/Mane

4-2-3-1

DMs/CMs - Hendo/Gini/Can/Gruijic/Milner
AMs/WFs - Mane/Salah/Gini/Woodburn/Sturridge/Origi/Firmino/Solanke

Ideal options? debatable. None? Utter tripe.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
All this worry about their aerial threat is fine and dandy but we can mix it too.

It is an argument of why Gomez might be a better option for this game than TAA.

Gomez has looked decent at RB in pre season and he's probably better defensively than TAA currently and is clearly better in the air.

I'd be tempted to start Gomez in this and TAA in the Champs League qualifier.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
It is an argument of why Gomez might be a better option for this game than TAA.

Gomez has looked decent at RB in pre season and he's probably better defensively than TAA currently and is clearly better in the air.

I'd be tempted to start Gomez in this and TAA in the Champs League qualifier.

Yes good shout although for me I feel Gomez has not shown enough in the preseason to suggest he's ready for important first team games again. A possible shout, if Herr Klopp does not fancy Gomez, could be Emre Can. He's played FB for Germany and he is a tank.

Certainly TAA cannot play both legs of the CL whilst also playing the PL games. 4 high pressure games in 12 days. Too much for a youngster starting his career.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
Yes good shout although for me I feel Gomez has not shown enough in the preseason to suggest he's ready for important first team games again. A possible shout, if Herr Klopp does not fancy Gomez, could be Emre Can. He's played FB for Germany and he is a tank.

Certainly TAA cannot play both legs of the CL whilst also playing the PL games. 4 high pressure games in 12 days. Too much for a youngster starting his career.

Yes that would be a demanding schedule for Trent.

Emre could play RB if we really were looking to add height and putting Grujic in CM, to make us really beastly.

I guess it goes back to the argument of do you pick your team to cope with the oppositions strengths & threats.  Or do you pick it to make the opposition worry about yours more.

Ideally you try to do both. 

I think I'd start Gomez at RB.  Not sure Grujic is ready and I'd feel more confident of Can in CM over him at this moment in time.

But we do have some extra height as options for teams that we do feel in the past we might have been lacking against in height.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
Fuck me it's a shame only Lallana and Coutinho can pick a pass! What are we going to do?!? Shame Firmino, Salah and Mane don't have the creativity to break down Watford. And if only Hendo or Wij could pass, we might stand a chance. 

:butt

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
Coming of a great preseason, I believe we will continue the form and start with a lovely little 2-0 win.

Mignolet

TAA
Lovren
Matip
Milner

Can
Henderson
Coutinho

Mane
Firmino
Salah

Subs:
Karius
Grujic
Klavan
Moreno
Origi
Wijnaldum
Solanke

This team on Saturday and bring in Wijnaldum for Tuesday and a more compact team.

Go at them from start and dominate the game. I am looking forward this game.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
This is very optimistic.

let's see how it looks if we take out players who are not established first team players. Grujic has just 8 appearances for us. Just 5 in the league. He has 0 goals and 0 assists in competitive games for us. he has just 49 professional appearances in his career to date.

Woodburn has 5 first team appearances and 1 goals so far in his career.

Milner has barely played as a midfielder for the last 18 months.

Nonsense!

4-3-3

"DM" - Hendo/Can/Gini
"CM" - Hendo/Can/Gini/Gruijic/Wooburn
"Other CM - "Hendo/Can/Gini/Gruijic/Wooburn

4-4-2 diamond

DM - Hendo/Can/Gini
RM - Hendo/Milner/Gruijic/Can/Woodburn
LM - Hendo/Milner/Gruijic/Can/Woodburn
AM - Gini/Woodburn/Firmino/Salah/Mane

4-2-3-1

DMs/CMs - Hendo/Gini/Can/Gruijic/Milner
AMs/WFs - Mane/Salah/Gini/Woodburn/Sturridge/Origi/Firmino/Solanke

Ideal options? debatable. None? Utter tripe.

Woodburn and Grujic may well break through this season, but they are currently nowhere near as ready as Hendo, Can, Wini, Lallana or Coutinho.

We are alarmingly short of options.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
Fuck me it's a shame only Lallana and Coutinho can pick a pass! What are we going to do?!? Shame Firmino, Salah and Mane don't have the creativity to break down Watford. And if only Hendo or Wij could pass, we might stand a chance. 

We've got a great chance.

Our front three are dynamite.

But it is true last season our midfield didn't really work without Lallana or Coutinho.

I think switching Can and Henderson could actually help it.  Or maybe Wijnaldum steps up, he has a few times to be fair to him. 

If we give our attack enough good possession in dangerous areas, they should win the game.  Hopefully we can do that.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
I'm not sure if it is possible anymore, given his injury history.  But if Coutinho can't start I would like to see Henderson in the box to box role alongside Wijnaldum and Can as the deeper CM. 

My preference assume Coutinho can't play would be to get Henderson back playing the role he used to play before Klopp took over.  If we had Lallana or Coutinho fit, then I'd have him as the deepest CM.  But they might not be fit and if the captain is capable of playing the box to box role, given his injury history, then I think he'd be a better option than Can in that role.  As he is more productive, creative, the better presser and will allow Can to do what he's good at, being physical & dominant as our deepest CM to protect our defence.

I don't know how you would go about measuring who the better presser is, but I'm not sure this is true anymore mate. Henderson is definitely more disciplined than Can, but I don't think he's got the same explosiveness that he had in 13/14 and 14/15 (due to a combination of injuries and bulking up) which helped him be so effective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he could definitely still do a job in a more advanced role, and I do miss him drifting to the right wing to put those low crosses he became very good at in 14/15. But I think Can is more explosive and probably has a better touch to help in tight areas too.

Moreover, Klopp probably trusts Henderson in that deep role a little more than he does Can, and I think he likes the vision and passing range he brings to that role.

I wouldn't be messing around with it at this early stage.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
This is very optimistic.

let's see how it looks if we take out players who are not established first team players. Grujic has just 8 appearances for us. Just 5 in the league. He has 0 goals and 0 assists in competitive games for us. he has just 49 professional appearances in his career to date.

Woodburn has 5 first team appearances and 1 goals so far in his career.

Milner has barely played as a midfielder for the last 18 months.

Woodburn and Grujic may well break through this season, but they are currently nowhere near as ready as Hendo, Can, Wini, Lallana or Coutinho.

We are alarmingly short of options.

The poster said "no other options"

Un-proven players remain an option. Moving players around remains an option. Changing formations remains an option.

Add to that, I am optimistic. Will make zero apologies for backing the decisions of Klopp, or any other Liverpool manager.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
----------------Mignolet-------------

-TAA------Lovren----Matip---Milner-

----------------Henderson-----------

--------Can------------Wjinaldum--

---Salah-----Firmino-----Mane-----

I would be shocked if that wasn't the team. The only change that I could see is Robertson coming in for Milner, but I think he will start with Milner for the familiarity and the calm head. I think it's much easier to drop Robertson in at home to Palace instead of away at Watford on the opening day. I don't think Moreno has built up enough trust to be considered for this game. We don't have a like-for-like replacement for Coutinho in the middle, perhaps Woodburn, but I don't think he will drop him in there.

I think that's a good side - solid, should be looking to control the game and tons and tons of pace and movement upfront. I want to see Henderson's range of passing, Mane and Salah should be looking to exploit his range and push Watford back as much as we can. We don't have a natural creator in the middle, but we should be looking to control the midfield and we should be working harder than them.

I don't know enough about Watford, but hearing people mention set pieces, Silva and hostility worries me a little but one of our last away outings was here and we should take positives from that.

If Coutinho is confirmed to be out tomorrow, then he shouldn't be discussed in the build up to this game. Feels like the positivity is draining and there is absolutely no need for that. We can put out a very strong team v Watford and have every reason to be confident for this season.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
Hoping Milner does play at left back. If they reckon Moreno's 'back', then he needs to prove it through small spells in the team, not the opening day. Kind of harsh for Wiji because of how impressed I was with him last year, but I can't see him starting on Friday. Lineup pretty much what all of you expecting it to be.

Think a lot of you are being quite dismissive to Marco Silva, really. Really impressive last year with one of the absolute worst teams in PL history at Hull. Watford ended poorly, but most of the players are the same that have been their during their good and bad spells.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Lemieux

• Kopite
Mig

TAA
Lovren
Matip
Milner

Henderson
Wijnaldum
Coutinho

Salah
Firmino
Mane

Think this team is strong enough to beat anyone if they play up to their standards.  I expect to come out much fitter than most teams, preseason work should pay off against teams like Watford.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mig

TAA
Lovren
Matip
Milner

Henderson
Wijnaldum
Coutinho

Salah
Firmino
Mane

Think this team is strong enough to beat anyone if they play up to their standards.  I expect to come out much fitter than most teams, preseason work should pay off against teams like Watford.

This team seems the obvious choice, given Lallana and Clyne's absence.

If it turns out Coutinho can't make it, move Henderson forward and bring in Can.

If there's a worry about Mane's match fitness, but Coutinho is fit, we could start with Salah on the bench ready to replace Mane and play Coutinho in his usual spot.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
As long as we don't concede stupid goals we will win.

This team has way too much firepower to be kept out by watford.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
My only real concern about this fixture is that it's the opening day of the season, they're at home and have a new Manager. Plus it's on TV. Their fans will be absolutely pumped, the team will all be out to impress the new guy, and the new manager of theirs already impressed last year. You can add their physicality as a concern as well.

All that said, we're a fucking brilliant team, we've got a brilliant manager, and I think he's got them absolutely pumped for the upcoming season. I think we'll have learnt from last season that one game does not make a season, and have a better balance of calm/aggression during games.

Offline Nice one, Barney lad!

• Main Stander
  • Take me to your Klopp.

Online vinothmct
Kopite

We all Live in a Red and White Kop
View Profile
 Personal Message (Online)

Re: Match Preview: Watford vs. Liverpool [Saturday 12 August 2017, K.O. 12:30] 

« Reply #181 on: Today at 01:04:50 PM »

As long as we don't concede stupid goals we will win.

This team has way too much firepower to be kept out by watford.

Eggs-actly!
Negativity you read on here is just so negative.

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
I'll go for a dominant 2-0 win to us.

Firmino and Salah to bag the goals.

Bring it on lads!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
Hope Sturridge starts.  Whenever he's playing no matter what the situation on the pitch you know he can score out of nowhere. If Coutinho isn't fit I'd put Firmino in behind Sturridge. Blow the feckers away

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?

Negativity you read on here is just so negative.

true true....but sometimes I read some positivity that's just like....positive!

madness  ;D

we should win. hopefully counting on the fact they'll be pumped and raring to go will work in our favour, so they ain't sitting back and actually try attacking. Will work in our favour
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Hope Sturridge starts.  Whenever he's playing no matter what the situation on the pitch you know he can score out of nowhere. If Coutinho isn't fit I'd put Firmino in behind Sturridge. Blow the feckers away

It's a option.

Go 4-4-2 but we won't
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
Where is the tea leaves prediction!!!

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
I don't know how you would go about measuring who the better presser is, but I'm not sure this is true anymore mate. Henderson is definitely more disciplined than Can, but I don't think he's got the same explosiveness that he had in 13/14 and 14/15 (due to a combination of injuries and bulking up) which helped him be so effective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he could definitely still do a job in a more advanced role, and I do miss him drifting to the right wing to put those low crosses he became very good at in 14/15. But I think Can is more explosive and probably has a better touch to help in tight areas too.

Moreover, Klopp probably trusts Henderson in that deep role a little more than he does Can, and I think he likes the vision and passing range he brings to that role.

I wouldn't be messing around with it at this early stage.

Yes we don't know if Hendo can still do that role anymore, which I said in my original post.

I'd like to know if he can.

If he can, Henderson pre Klopp, was better at pressing than Emre is now.

But can he still play that high energy game?  I'd like to find out personally when our CM has lacked creativity when Lallana or Coutinho don't play.

It's the types of questions that should be asked in the press conferences.  Rather than the standard shite that's asked and we get standard stock answers back in return. 

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Neither Coutinho or Sturridge trained today and are unlikely to play at the weekend. Glad we've got such a big squad.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
We've got a great chance.

Our front three are dynamite.

But it is true last season our midfield didn't really work without Lallana or Coutinho.

I think switching Can and Henderson could actually help it.  Or maybe Wijnaldum steps up, he has a few times to be fair to him. 

If we give our attack enough good possession in dangerous areas, they should win the game.  Hopefully we can do that.

When that midfield didn't really work last season, Can was in awful form due to carrying an injury and we only had an explosive winger to pick out on one side, sometimes neither.
Obviously having at least one of Lallana or Coutinho available would be ideal, but I think our midfield will function just fine on Saturday, whether it be those three or a 4231 with Firmino behind Solanke or Origi.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
Looks like Coutinho is out, expecting a Henderson, Can and Gini midfield

Offline Marty McFly

• Legacy Fan
Realistically can only see Gini-Hendo-Can midfield if Coutinho's out.

After that we're onto the likes of Grujic and Woodburn.

But to be fair, most clubs would have this problem losing two similar players that cover an almost identical role.

Also an argument for dropping Firmino deeper in a number 10 as 4-2-3-1 as mentioned above. Given Sturridges slight knock I'd be tempted to throw Solanke in up front ahead of Origi because unlike Origi they really won't know much at all about him. He'll probably score and gives us a target if we can't get through the middle without Lallana / Coutinho.

Time to use the squad and put our preseason to good use.

It's not as if Watford have better.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
1st game of the season and it feels like we cant afford one more injury in midfield or out wide  ;D And plans to ease Mane back in will have to be scrapped! We always seem to be in these situations!

Anyway, these are shit, get them twatted.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
We'll have 11 players starting. Another 6 on the bench. We will play to win and we will win
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Marty McFly

• Legacy Fan
1st game of the season and it feels like we cant afford one more injury in midfield or out wide  ;D And plans to ease Mane back in will have to be scrapped! We always seem to be in these situations!

Anyway, these are shit, get them twatted.

In a 4-3-3 you're probably right squad-wise.

In a 4-2-3-1 or 4-D-2 we have enough options I think.

EDIT - the difference in a 4-2-3-1 being that Firmino would no longer be leading the line but playing as a no.10 and/or the most advanced CM. He has the work rate for this.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:56:11 pm by Marty McFly »

Offline Marty McFly

• Legacy Fan
We'll have 11 players starting. Another 6 on the bench. We will play to win and we will win

Good point, well made.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
I'd be 4-2-3-1 all day, Hendo or Can & Wijnaldum in the middle behind Bobby, Salah & Mane with either Origi or Solanke up top.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
We have a load of games over the next couple of weeks and we have quite a few players out injured. Not sure how Klopp rotates among all the injuries.