Author Topic: 2017/18 Champions League group stage draw. Thursday 24th August at 5pm  (Read 193148 times)

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
Re: 2017/18 Champions League play off round
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2017, 06:45:53 pm »
Of course actually being in the CL will be amazing and is what we need but if we feck it up and lose the qualifier a) we'd hopefully have got our targets with the premise of CL football and b) we'd have no European football as a distraction. 

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2017, 06:47:48 pm »
Of course actually being in the CL will be amazing and is what we need but if we feck it up and lose the qualifier a) we'd hopefully have got our targets with the premise of CL football and b) we'd have no European football as a distraction.
We'd have Europa.

Offline MrBernard

• Kemlynite
  • Don't make me laugh... bitterly.
« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2017, 07:11:55 pm »
Doesn't PL start one or two weeks ahead of most European leagues or I am totally mistaken? If so it should be an advantage.

No way we will let this opportunity slip through our fingers.
Forget your beaches and jungles; we're going somewhere where I can read, sit and have a quiet drink.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: May 25, 2017, 07:43:50 am »
So when is the draw to decide our opponent?
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2017, 07:45:52 am »
season's over.....players are on holiday......put the ball away and enjoy the summer
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Yerolo

• Kopite
« Reply #205 on: May 25, 2017, 08:31:08 am »
So when is the draw to decide our opponent?

August 4th

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2017, 11:54:35 am »
season's over.....players are on holiday......put the ball away and enjoy the summer

Impossible

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2017, 12:49:02 am »
Do we know how much it is worth winning the qualifier and getting to the group stage ?

Echo article said we earned €33.9m in 2014/15 even though we didn't progress out of the group.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-champions-league-how-much-13067278

You would think with the improved tv rights that would be closer to €50m

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2017, 10:45:48 am »
Do we know how much it is worth winning the qualifier and getting to the group stage ?

Echo article said we earned €33.9m in 2014/15 even though we didn't progress out of the group.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-champions-league-how-much-13067278

You would think with the improved tv rights that would be closer to €50m
There's some stuff on it here: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2398575.html

Interesting bit is it suggests United will miss out on money from the TV rights.

We'd have got about €4m more in prize money just for getting to the group stage in 16/17 compared to 14/15, but there doesn't look like there's any info yet for next years prize money yet. The market pool (tv money) varies depending on how the other clubs do and where you finished in the league so that's hard to predict. In 15/16 United got about €20m for exiting in the group stages, which was less than us in 14/15 for example. In 15/16 Arsenal got €31m for going out in the round of 16, but Chelsea got about €45m. The next big bump in the British rights isn't until 18/19 when they're changing the how the money is distributed as well.

If it's similar to last year, we'd be looking at around €2m for the qualifier, €13m for getting to group stage. And who knows for the market pool, but the basic rate from the tv deals for getting in the group stages will be lower than last time as we finished 4th, so we get less of a share of it than we did in 14/15, as half is based on where you finished in the previous domestic season. Then the other half of the tv money is spread depending how the teams do and with 5 teams instead of 4 that'll be spread out more as well. I've probably not explained that too clearly, but it's in the top link. I don't think we're going to get a huge amount more than last time though just for getting to the group stages.

There's a formula for working it out in the top link and here's the 14/15 and 15/16 distributions of anyone wants to make sense of it/predict it:

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/29/45/25/2294525_DOWNLOAD.pdf
http://www.uefa.com//MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/41/82/55/2418255_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2017, 04:48:33 am »
Looking at that list of top seeds in the Echo there's quite a contrast. But imagine getting Bayern or Juve and then someone like Barca from pot 2. Or maybe that woukd suit us better!

No point worrying til after the qualifiers I guess.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2017, 07:31:07 am »
Looking at that list of top seeds in the Echo there's quite a contrast. But imagine getting Bayern or Juve and then someone like Barca from pot 2. Or maybe that woukd suit us better!

That's what I'm hoping to be honest! Our performance in the champions league can't be as bad as the last time out. We were shocking for all group games

Yeah, let's hope that we get past the qualifier

Offline PoetryInMotion96

• Anny Roader
  • His First Name Is Lucas
« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2017, 09:16:31 am »

Worrying??? Give over man! We have wanted to be in this competition for so fucking long and now your worried about the so called big boys... fuck them. Get them to anfield, scare the fuck out of them and beat the twats. Why are people bedwetting about who we may face in the groups? Fuck sake we ain't gonna win it although I dearly hope we do so let's set Europe alight again a d see how far we can go. I'd rather lose to Barca or Real than be embarrassed by drawing with some Austrian unknowns. Let's stop worrying and enjoy it!! Jesus it's not even June yet [emoji13]

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2017, 11:33:56 am »
I'm actually hoping we do get someone like Barca, Bayern, Real or Juve in the group stages. Big games are what Liverpool FC are all about, bring them the fuck on.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2017, 11:40:39 am »
I'm actually hoping we do get someone like Barca, Bayern, Real or Juve in the group stages. Big games are what Liverpool FC are all about, bring them the fuck on.

As long as it isn't Bayern, Barcelona and Roma or something like that it should be fine. The main enemy of English clubs in Europe are themselves and the underestimation. Hopefully Jürgen won't allow that to happen.
Linudden.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2017, 11:42:33 am »
August 4th

Heard yesterday we're playing a friendly in Dublin on August 5th
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2017, 02:13:26 pm »
Get past the qualifier obviously - but we have a much different caliber of manager this time around.

Offline James55

• Main Stander
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2017, 02:18:10 pm »
Heard yesterday we're playing a friendly in Dublin on August 5th
few travel agents in dublin advertising for it

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2017, 05:14:06 pm »
few travel agents in dublin advertising for it

Have the opponents been announced yet?

I heard its a league of Ireland 11
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2017, 05:30:53 pm »
Have the opponents been announced yet?

I heard its a league of Ireland 11
https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/05/liverpool-lining-friendly-dublin-summer/

This suggests it's Athletic Bilbao. Haven't seen anything at all about this game announced officially yet.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2017, 04:43:00 am »
If we qualify, are we in pot 3?

How come united are in pot 2?

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2017, 08:32:49 am »
If we qualify, are we in pot 3?

How come united are in pot 2?
Because they have a better European coefficient than us. The Top 6 pl clubs have the following standings:
10. Chelsea: 106.192
11. Arsenal: 105.192
12. City: 100.192
15. United: 95.192
20. Spurs: 77.192
34. Liverpool: 56.192

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2017, 11:46:44 am »
Because they have a better European coefficient than us. The Top 6 pl clubs have the following standings:
10. Chelsea: 106.192
11. Arsenal: 105.192
12. City: 100.192
15. United: 95.192
20. Spurs: 77.192
34. Liverpool: 56.192
That's kinda depressing looking at how low we are in the coefficient

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2017, 12:02:56 pm »
That's kinda depressing looking at how low we are in the coefficient

On the bright side, the points we gain next season replace points from a season we didn't have any European football so we could add 20 points or maybe more.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2017, 10:37:20 pm »
Viktoria Plzen (good beers ! ;) ), Young Boys (should be easy) or Club Brugge ( good beers and should be easy :D) please.

All the others are risky ties - either good teams or in potentially hostile grounds.
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2017, 10:44:39 pm »
Nice, Sporting and CSKA Moscow feel like the three sides to avoid but whoever we get we'll almost certainly have an easier side than if we'd been unseeded.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2017, 12:05:44 am »
Liverpool's Champions League play-off opponent is becoming clearer

It's been the question on most Liverpool fans' lips since that vital 3-0 win over Middlesbrough on the last day of the season.

Who will the Reds face in the play-off which stands between them and entry into the group stages of the Champions League?

Today action in the European leagues still finishing their seasons has made the play-off picture rather clearer for Liverpool.

Nine of the 10 possible opponents are confirmed with the final team coming from one of PAOK, AEK Athens or Panathinaikos in Greece.

Today's events mean that the five seeded teams for the play-off round will definitely include Liverpool, Napoli and Sevilla. Ajax and Dynamo Kiev will join them IF they win their third round play-off so none of these teams will face the Reds.

Roma finished second in Italy after their late winner in Franceso Totti's last game to send Napoil into the play-offs but both would have been seeded either way so would not have been able to face Liverpool.

So what of those that could.

POSSIBLE OPPONENTS FOR LIVERPOOL

The five possible opponents will be made up of those who come through that preceding round which includes the following teams in coefficient order.

iktora Plzen (Czech Republic ) - finished second, 10 points behind winners Slavia Prague

CSKA Moscow (Russia) - finished second, seven points behind Spartak Moscow and one point ahead of Zenit

Club Brugge (Belgium) - finished second, two points behind Anderlecht

Sporting Lisbon (Portugal) - finished third, behind champions Benfica and second place Porto

Steaua Bucharest (Romania) - finished second behind Viitorul

Young Boys (Switzerland) - second to regular pests FC Basel by a whopping 17 points

Nice (France) - third behind champions Monaco and second-placed PSG

Hoffenheim (Germany) - fourth, two points behind third-placed Dortmund and 20 behind champions Bayern Munich

Istanbul BB (Turkey) - second behind champions Beşiktaş and well ahead of Fenerbahce and Galatasaray.

The final possible opponent will come from Greece where a four-team play-off series is underway.

AEK Athens , PAOK based in Thessaloniki or Panathinaikos from Athens are still in contention to win the play-off spot.

If Ajax or Kiev failed to get through their play-off round, then Plzen and then CSKA Moscow would move up and become seeds, meaning Liverpool could not draw them after all.

The draw will be made by UEFA on Friday August 4 with the games to be played on either August 16 or August 17, with the return leg a week later on August 23 or August 24.

Looks like a decent game whoever they draw in what will be a vital qualifier for their season.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-champions-league-play-opponent-13105963

Unless there's something I'm not seeing, Plzen only finished 2 points behind Prague, not 10.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2017, 04:40:16 am »
Was rewatching some of our 2014 champions league run.. seriously, wtf was that  ;D I never understood why we didn't take Madrid away seriously and dropped Gerrard as well.

For me, this is our first season back since 09/10  :wave

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2017, 08:49:55 am »
Was rewatching some of our 2014 champions league run.. seriously, wtf was that  ;D I never understood why we didn't take Madrid away seriously and dropped Gerrard as well.

For me, this is our first season back since 09/10  :wave

Rodgers really handled that poorly and the fa cup semi-final against Villa, there were no excuses for both. I don't hold anything against him outside of that, but that was really poor

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2017, 02:14:07 pm »
Impossible

on the contrary ..nothing could be simpler ...turn off, tune out...it'll do you good
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2017, 02:42:52 pm »
Plzen would be my pick, be a boss trip that. 1 hour train from Prague.

What I dont get is why cant we play teams like Celtic/Dundalk or whatever if they get through from the earlier rounds?

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2017, 02:43:24 pm »
on the contrary ..nothing could be simpler ...turn off, tune out...it'll do you good

I was joking ;)

But your always connected;)

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2017, 02:49:56 pm »
Worrying??? Give over man! We have wanted to be in this competition for so fucking long and now your worried about the so called big boys... fuck them. Get them to anfield, scare the fuck out of them and beat the twats. Why are people bedwetting about who we may face in the groups? Fuck sake we ain't gonna win it although I dearly hope we do so let's set Europe alight again a d see how far we can go. I'd rather lose to Barca or Real than be embarrassed by drawing with some Austrian unknowns. Let's stop worrying and enjoy it!! Jesus it's not even June yet [emoji13]
Wholeheartedly agree with this. Our last campaign in the champions league was humiliating with a manager who put up the white flag before we'd taken the pitch. Keep it tight away from home and smash the shit out of the opposition at Anfield - whoever they are!

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2017, 03:07:15 pm »
Plzen would be my pick, be a boss trip that. 1 hour train from Prague.

What I dont get is why cant we play teams like Celtic/Dundalk or whatever if they get through from the earlier rounds?
Because they go down the 'Champions' route and not the 'League' route.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:09:07 pm by ABJ »
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2017, 03:12:07 pm »
Can someone explain to me why we cant meet any of the teams from the previous rounds... Q1, Q2 or Q3_? Thanks

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2017, 03:21:41 pm »
Can someone explain to me why we cant meet any of the teams from the previous rounds... Q1, Q2 or Q3_? Thanks
We can, as long as they are on the same side of the draw as we are :
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2017, 03:22:35 pm »
Pilsen, Brugge or Hoffenheim for me... been to many of the others already.

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2017, 03:29:55 pm »
We can, as long as they are on the same side of the draw as we are :
Damn that last paragraph is confusing. So basically we can also meet the runners up of Leagues from Holland and Ukraine? Or as they are seeded, maybe they cant?

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2017, 03:44:01 pm »
Damn that last paragraph is confusing. So basically we can also meet the runners up of Leagues from Holland and Ukraine? Or as they are seeded, maybe they cant?
No we can't meet either team, Ajax and Dynamo Kyiv, as if they get through the 3rd qualifying round, they'll both be seeded, like ourselves, in the play off round.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:46:36 pm by ABJ »

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2017, 03:47:59 pm »
No we can't meet either team, Ajax and Dynamo Kyiv, as if they get through the 3rd qualifying round, they'll both be seeded, like ourselves, in the play off round.

Ok thanks for the explanation. Now its clear.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2017, 03:53:37 pm »
Is it correct that the seeded teams play the home game of the playoff last? So away game 15th/16th August, home game 22th/23th August?
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.