Author Topic: Alan Hansen, Hypocrisy and Transfer Dreams  (Read 12388 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Alan Hansen, Hypocrisy and Transfer Dreams
« on: February 7, 2005, 01:49:37 pm »
Alan Hansen has no doubt forgotten more about football than I've ever known about the game; however, in recent months he appears to have sustained a severe blow to the head. What else can explain his total amnesia on the subject?

It started over the summer, with his ill-informed comments that Benitez was even more defensive-minded than Gerard Houllier. You'd think someone in his position would actually check what took place in Spain over the previous three years, and especially last season. The man who has stood and sat alongside Hansen since 1981, Mark Lawrenson, had to be put straight by Spanish pundit, Guillem Balague, over the issue during Euro 2004. Before he even arrived, it appeared the knives were sharpening for Benitez. There was a feeling about Benitez lacking the correct credentials; this after his amazing exploits with Valencia. Hansen's statements were compounded by his claiming that Steven Gerrard needed to join Chelsea. (If he wanted 'instant' success, then maybe; but surely success is better earned with hard work, rather than bought?).

All commentators on the game get things wrong. That's a given. And of course, you can be proved wrong one week, and then feel vindicated the next. (In my case, such as when I said Morientes and Baros would be brilliant together. After the first few games, there was little sign of this –– until Baros won the ball for El Moro to score at Charlton, and then when both notched goals against Fulham; and Baros ran the channels superbly, while his partner's all-round game aided our attacking efforts). Of course, a few bad games, and you're back to the former assessment.

What I find inexcusable in the world of punditry is the hypocrisy, and the changing of opinion to suit the situation; or that one rule is fine for one club, but that Liverpool have to do things differently. The club has higher standards than most, but it needs to be allowed to operate in the situation it now faces, and not on the assumption that the game hasn't changed in the last 25 years.

For instance, I was disappointed that many of the very people who had praised Benitez for trusting the youngsters all season was then castigating him for playing them at Burnley. You can't have it both ways.

It's about integrity. From a personal point of view, and going back to my earlier example, once I had said how much I was excited by Baros and Morientes dovetailing, my only option if it wasn't working would be to say: I got it wrong, they stink. I think I'd lose whatever credibility I have if I instead said: it was clear they were never going to work as a pairing, there was never any hope of them combining. You cannot simply change your opinion to fit with changing circumstances. Everyone can change their opinion, of course, when convinced by new evidence over a period of time; just not to suit the situation, and then change it back the next time the situation is reversed. Anyone can do that, as you are only proving how clever you are with the aid of hindsight.

It saddens me to say that Alan Hansen now strikes me as a rather sad parody of the once-great commentator on the game. He sounds like he doesn't actually love the sport anymore (much like Mark Lawrenson; add the incoherent Peter Schmeichel, and you suddenly have reason to mourn the passing of Gabby, Ally and Andy, and even the awful Tactics Truck). It's a sad state of affairs when ex-Blue Andy Gray talks more sense on the game (with the odd exception) than a man you admired to the point of hero-worship; or that Chris Kamara's assessments on the game are more interesting, accurate and impassioned. Too much of Hansen's motive now appears to be to make extreme or provocative comments. I used to look to him for sense; now I see only sensationalism.

He remains a legend in my eyes, and nothing he says will change my memory of him as a player; just as Souness will remain a great player, no matter how he tarnished his reputation afterwards. But Hansen always struck me as a top bloke, someone I'd love to sit down with to discuss the game. Opinionated, and even arrogant, but honest.

Now I cannot bear to watch Match of the Day, to see him and Lawrenson looking miserable (or miserable and smug), and Peter Schmeichel talking in some kind of strange language that is neither English nor Danish –– a language known purely as nonsense. What was once the best dissemination of ideas on the game is now a tired forum that –– as galling as it is to admit –– falls well behind Sky in terms of true insight.

The latest example of how I felt let down came when Hansen went public on January 24 when, in his Daily Telegraph column, he suggested that Benitez made a big mistake in signing players from La Liga, and should have gone for proven British quality:

"However, he [Benitez] is suffering from the Gérard Houllier regime when a lot of mediocre players arrived at the club. Unfortunately, Houllier as a Frenchman went totally French in the transfer market, shopping in an area he knows best. It didn't work out for him and Benitez is in danger of making the same mistake by going totally Spanish. Between the two of them they have created a conveyor belt of mediocrity.

Now first of all, Houllier didn't go totally French in the transfer market. Henchoz, Barmby, Hamann, McAllister, Xavier, Arphexad, Heskey, Ziege, Finnan, Kirkland, Sjolund and Kewell all came from the Premiership (and a mixed bunch that lot proved to be; it also accounted for almost half of the money Houllier spent, if you discount Djibril Cisse, who arrived after he was sacked). Many more came from non-French European countries: Litmanen (from Barcelona), Biscan, Babbel, Westerveld, Song, Meijer, Dudek, Baros, Hyypia, and Kippe. (Two Frenchman, Ferri and Diarra, were also bought while plying their trade away from their homeland).

Even allowing for Hansen's "totally" being some kind of approximation, it's still horribly incorrect. In this case, "totally" equals roughly one-third. When you take into account that many of Houllier's French signings –– such as Vignal, Traore, Sinama-Pongolle, Le Tallec, Diarra, Madjani –– were youngsters snaffled on the cheap merely as hopes (but not guarantees) for the future, it leaves just eight of Houllier's 'major' signings coming from the French league.

It is the hypocrisy of Hansen (and others) that disappoints me the most. You could label the same accusation of Francophilia at Arsene Wenger –– a manager Hansen has (rightly) never been slow to praise. And yet Wenger has won three titles and two doubles based on such a buying policy. Benitez could as easily be the Spanish version of Wenger, not the Spanish equivalent of Houllier. I hate the lazy conclusion that, given Houllier's French buys were mostly his least successful, it follows suit that Benitez will suffer the same fate in Spain. Surely these are two very different men, with unique individual qualities?

Houllier made many great signings –– that is undeniable. But did he sign anyone from the French league who could match up to Alonso and Morientes? Alas, no. (Although hopefully Djibril Cisse will prove a late exception, and Sinama-Pongolle and Le Tallec still have massive potential). Riise, signed from Monaco, was perhaps Houllier's best buy from Ligue 1. As good as Riise is, he's not quite in the class of Alonso and Morientes. So already –– based on the early evidence (and that is all we can go on at this stage) –– Benitez has recruited more astutely from his homeland. It took him six months, not six years.

Hansen continues: "The most important aspect for Liverpool is that the players Benitez brought in had to be good enough to be in their strongest starting XI. That has not happened."

So –– Alonso and Morientes aren't good enough to be in the strongest starting XI? Excuse me, can you repeat that please, Alan?

Two of the seven players Benitez has signed are more than good enough for the first eleven, and in fact, strengthen it considerably. That is one-fifth of the outfield team-sheet improved within six months. These are not merely good players, who are capable of only just holding down a place in the side. These are great players who offer new skills and dimensions to the team's play. You cannot dispute that.

Luis Garcia's form has been very mixed (from the sublime to the ridiculous), but he offers something new to the first team, and after a difficult winter, appears to be rediscovering his form, with two fine assists in his last two games.

It took him just half a season to equal the combined league goals tallies Diouf (three) and Cheyrou (two) managed in two full seasons, and he's already surpassed Robert Pires' first-season tally. Luis Garcia's second-half performance at Charlton was something we just never came to see from Cheyrou (who had that spell of scoring four goals in four games, but was still rarely involved in the action). It's fair to say we can expect more from Luis Garcia, but the lad has talent, and has influenced a number of games. He is still settling in, and has had to cope with life in a new country, and the birth of his son (all new parents know that it's a very difficult time).

That leaves four players –– Carson, Pellegrino, Nunez and Josemi –– who cost a mere £4.70m combined. Or, to look at it another way, the exact fee for Salif Diao. Procuring Carson looks a fantastic bit of business: the best keeper around in his age-group, with a very bright future, and more than capable in the present. Players like Carson are hard to come by; had the lad had a lengthy contract remaining, his value would have been closer to £5m, and therefore prohibitive. The very contract situation that wiped money off Owen's transfer value has worked in our favour this time.

It's far too early to write off the other three, despite each having some tough games and  coming in for severe criticism, but even if they only exist as squad players in the future, at an average of just over £1m each and unlikely to be on sky-high wages, they're still very cheap additions to a squad that –– once the dead wood had been offloaded –– needed bolstering. They at least the chance to adapt before being cast into the wilderness, or described as 'failures'. If it turns out that some deadwood has been replaced by more deadwood, well, that's just life.

But look at it like this: the two Benitez-bought players who will definitely improve the first team –– Alonso and Morientes –– cost £16m. Good value for money, but still fairly big bucks, at an average of £8m per player. The other five cost an average of just one-quarter of that: a little over £2m each. Not every signing is designed to improve the first-team; many are to give depth to the squad, or to provide an alternative from the bench.

As stated, Wenger and Ferguson have both made mistakes in the transfer market –– but especially early in their tenures, when making radical overhauls. Hell, even Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish bought duds –– mostly from Britain, where they supposedly "knew what they were getting". Souness and Evans also bought plenty of flops from these shores.

The trouble with improving a first-team like Liverpool's is that there are a clutch of 'decent' players that need replacing; and even half-decent players cost fortunes these days –– especially from England. You can't just 'magic up' a series of quality signings who will all be guaranteed successes. The problem I have with people like Hansen, when he writes pieces like the one I'm highlighting, is that there seems to be criticism, but not a reasonable realistic solution. Buy great British players? Sure. But like, um, who?. Or rather, who is available and would cost under £20m? If money was no object, Benitez would have spent it very differently. As it is, he's looking for bargains. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you uncover an unpolished diamond.

Hansen has been in awe of Chelsea this season. And yet all of Chelsea's major signings this summer (the ones who went straight into the first team: Peter Cech, Arjen Robben, Paulo Ferreira,  Didier Drogba and Ricardo Carvalho) each cost between £10m and £24m; Tiago was cheap for them, at just £8m, and Kezman is a £6m reserve. I'm guessing their average spend per-player was £15m –– more than our record signing. We simply don't have the kind of money to make a series of purchases like that; and despite not being "cheap", Alonso and Morientes will prove great value for money.

Our record signing, Djibril Cisse –– signed by Houllier, but a player Benitez rated –– didn't even get a proper chance to prove if he was worth £14m. But given his wonderful record in France, you could at least surmise that, once he had settled, he would have started banging in the goals and improved our first team. After all, at the time his leg snapped so gruesomely in two he had the exact same number of goals as Didier Drogba. Drogba has since radically improved, finding his stride and scoring plenty of goals. The comparison is especially valid, as both came to England from France with the burden of being their new club's record signing. While in France, Cisse easily outscored Drogba, and managed fully eight more league goals last season.

Hansen continues: "He [Benitez] went for foreigners when in all honesty he should have gone British, inasmuch as you know what you are going to get by shopping in the home market."

Again, this is another point I really do not understand. Hansen has previously lavished extravagant praise on both Jose Mourinho and Chelsea, as well as all of the Portuguese's signings. None of which were from the Premiership.

Signing players from England costs an absolute fortune. It's hard to imagine the fees the club would have had to pay for Xabi Alonso and Fernando Morientes had they been at English clubs. Benitez was quoted £14m when enquiring about the the availability of Jonathan Woodgate, the talented but injury-prone Newcastle centre back who ended up moving to Real Madrid. (Interesting, our injury jinx has stretched to players on loan, like Le Tallec earlier in the season, and to players we simply enquired about).

For an extra £2m Rafa procured both Alonso and Morientes. Wayne Rooney went to Manchester United from Everton for a 'mere' £27m. Unless top English players are nearing the end of their contract, you cannot get them for a sensible price. Even foreign successes playing in the Premiership are over-priced.

It is such a lazy argument to say "sign from the English market as you know what you're getting". You don't. There are no sure things in the transfer market, full-stop. Liverpool have signed enough players from the English league in the past who've looked good until they pulled on the red shirt, and wilted under the pressure.

Last season Hansen was understandably sent into paroxysms of delight by Arsenal's glorious free-flowing football, and stated that while they weren't the "greatest ever" (without winning the European Cup), they did play the best football he'd ever seen in this country. Their historic achievement –– in going a league season unbeaten –– was duly noted and wholeheartedly praised.

So let's examine how Wenger achieved this success. Was it built on a core of astutely-assembled British purchases? Well, there's Sol Campbell, the rock at the heart of their defence. But of course, he was a Bosman transfer; had a fee been involved, Arsenal would not have got him. (If only he'd chosen Liverpool instead in 2001 . . .).

Okay, Campbell aside, let's move onto Richard Wright: £6m well spent? Sorry, I've made you laugh and coffee has come out of your nose. Wright was soon sold to Everton at a big loss, after failing to impress at Highbury, and is now a reserve.

Talking of Everton, there was the £8m Wenger shelled-out –– with genius prescience –– for that sure-fire hit, Francis Jeffers. Oh God I'm sorry, you're now laughing so hard you're now choking on your food. Still, there was the £2m handed over to Notts County for 15-year-old Jermaine Pennant. But he's not really had a look-in, and seven years later is about to be released. And Matthew Upson hardly grabbed the bull by the horns while at Highbury; some players just can't handle the pressure at big clubs.

According to Hansen's logic, these are the kind of players Wenger was right to invest in. Meanwhile, you can only conclude, Arsenal were wasting their time and money with Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires, Fredrik Ljungberg, Jose Antonio Reyes, Dennis Bergkamp (imported from Italy by Bruce Rioch), Robin Van Persie, Lauren, Thierry Henry, Francesc Fabregas, Edu, Nicolas Anelka, Emanuel Petit, Marc Overmars, Kolo Toure, Gilberto Silva, et al.

Why is this policy good enough for Arsenal, but not Liverpool? (The hypocrisy is now in place again, of course, as suddenly Arsenal, after a slump in form, lack "British character"; no matter that the same set of players made history last season, which involved coming from behind on numerous occasions to save or win matches. You don't go a season unbeaten without an extraordinary amount of character).

The whole point is that no market leads to better purchases, as there are pros and cons wherever you shop. It is the individual player and his ability and temperament that counts, nothing else.

For example, Wenger signed plenty of 'failures' from France and other European countries, too: Christopher Wreh, Gilles Grimandi, Pascal Cygan, Alberto Mendez, Jeremie Aliadiere, David Grondin, Nelson Vivas, Luis Boa Morte, Moritz Volz, Sebastian Svärd, Igors Stephanovs, Remi Garde, Stathis Tavlaridis and Kaba Diawara –– to name just a few 'luminaries'. (If you've heard of half of those, you're doing well).

Wenger has signed far more average and, frankly, rubbish players than he has world-beaters. But it's those few great signings that have made all the difference, as they have proved truly exceptional talents. In time the dross has been forgotten. Similarly, Alex Ferguson has bought both well and poorly at home and abroad, in almost equal measure. All managers sign duff players, from home and from overseas.

But if Rafa knows Spanish football better than English football (and he will –– until at least a season assessing the Premiership first-hand), then why not shop there? If it were the Ukrainian second division he was pilfering, fair enough. But it's the best league in the world, and four signings have been from their top three clubs.

Can someone tell me where he could –– in England –– have spent £10m more wisely than he did on Xabi Alonso? Precisely who are we talking about? –– as you couldn't pay £20m in England for a player half that good and that young. I mean (and my blood pressure is rising here), Kieren Dyer was recently rated at £20m by Newcastle. That is the comedy of the English transfer market. That is, to quote Alan Hansen, knowing "what you are going to get by shopping in the home market".

Any decent English-based player is ludicrously over-priced, and Hansen is surely only too aware of this. (But Hansen doesn't have to find the transfer fee in his articles, does he? –– Benitez, as Liverpool manager, does). 

Sean Wright-Phillips has been in stunning form for Manchester City for a couple of seasons now (having been very average up to the age of 21/22), but has no experience of European football and just a couple of England caps. And yet he's valued at £20m+. (The combined cost of Henry, Pires and Vieira).

There's nothing to say that Wright-Phillips, while a fantastic little player, would definitely make a smooth transition to a new club, with new expectations, and a gargantuan price-tag hanging over his head; he may well leave City and do brilliantly in a better side, but there's no guarantee about it. And at that price, you'd like to expect some guarantees.

Even if he does do well, it might take time to settle. You often find players who come through a club's youth system build their confidence brick-by-brick over a number of years –– being eased into the side with little expected at first, and gradually improving month after month. A bad start at a new club can shatter it in one blow. Their entire support system is no longer in place; and instead of being the kid who exceeded expectations, he is now the player unable to justify a massive price-tag; if he costs as much as Zinedine Zidane, why isn't he as good? Sometimes expectations have to lower again, before they come good. (This may happen with Cisse).

If we had £20m to spare and no other needs, then great, Wright-Phillips is the kind of player you look for. But if you ask me if I'd rather Rafa had spent £20m on Wright-Phillips this season than on Alonso, Morientes, Nunez, Josemi, Pellegrino and Carson, then of course I'd say the latter. (just as Houllier had to opt for Henchoz, Hyypia and Hamann instead of paying over-the-odds for Rio Ferdinand in 1999). Six players will cost a lot more in wages, of course, but if Wright-Phillips had broken his leg, he'd have been no use to anyone; now, with Alonso out with a broken ankle, we can still call upon the other five players in the squad.

Benitez has spent very well in his first season. If you compare everything in the careers and talents of James Beattie and Fernando Morientes, it's impossible to say that Beattie represents £6m better spent simply because he's English.

Beattie is a decent player, but one who doesn't know what playing in Europe or international football entails (beyond one or two caps and one or two games in the Uefa Cup), and has never helped a club win a single trophy in his life; Morientes is a great player, who has done it all, and more-or-less won it all: four Champions League finals (three wins), league titles, goals in Spain and France, and a phenomenal 24 international goals in 36 games. One is Premiership-class; but the other is world-class.

You could argue that a player like Beattie will settle more quickly, given he knows the league and the language. On average, this will be true. But in a year's time, when Morientes is settled and speaks fluent English, who would you rather have?

It is great credit to Benitez that he had Morientes watched in training for Madrid, to assess how the player was reacting to being fourth choice. The answer was that he was training even harder. Morientes never asked about wages –– all he wanted to know was if he was going to get a fair chance of playing, having been treated unfairly by Madrid over the years. Can you imagine Kieren Dyer being unconcerned about the bling on offer? "Forget about playing, boss, let's get down to the nitty-gritty: how many Ferraris will I be able to buy?"

The final thing with Benitez is not only does he know the Spanish market, but it is there his reputation is greatest. Did Alonso and Morientes want to play for Liverpool? Of course. But would they have wanted to play for a manager they didn't rate or trust? Would they have been as desperate to play for Alan Curbishley? These players had other options, and playing for Benitez was cited as a big part of their decision to relocate to Merseyside.

© Paul Tomkins 2005

Note: this is an unedited "work-in-progress" from my upcoming book on LFC, with alterations for the web. As ever, to register a (purely provisional) interest in purchasing Golden Past, Red Future when it is published this summer, please email tomkins_lfcbook@btinternet.com. Many thanks to the hundreds who have so far expressed an interest.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2005, 02:51:26 pm by Rushian »

Offline Pooch

• Not a fan of Michael Winner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont keep calling me Shirley!
Re: Alan Hansen, Hypocrisy and Transfer Dreams
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2005, 02:43:36 pm »
Great read Paul. I am looking forward to reading the book.

Every single beat is red !

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2005, 02:51:35 pm »
good read for the begrudge rs
anyone with knowledge knows this already
obviously Hansen ain't knowledgable anymore

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2005, 02:54:47 pm »
good read for the begrudge rs
anyone with knowledge knows this already
obviously Hansen ain't knowledgable anymore

Maybe so, but with his MOTD gig and his column in the Telegraph and on the BBC site, he has a massive platform and constituency, no?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2005, 03:15:09 pm »
I'm going to have to buy the Tomkins book in pdf format. There is no way I can find a bookshelf to support his tome.  I'm not entirely sure the floor of my flat will take it.  I am certain though it will be a good read, as long as he promises he hasn't just joined together all the articles posted here.

(watch out for them suddenly disappearing when the book is released).  ;D

P
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2005, 03:25:55 pm »
Uber!

No other word for it!

Hansen and Lawro are just old time people who never and I mean never want to see their legendary status as players beaten by anyone else. We all know it will. They are just bitter because they cant play any more.

"Beattie is a decent player, but one who doesn't know what playing in Europe or international football entails (beyond one or two caps and one or two games in the Uefa Cup), and has never helped a club win a single trophy in his life; Morientes is a great player, who has done it all, and more-or-less won it all: four Champions League finals (three wins), league titles, goals in Spain and France, and a phenomenal 24 international goals in 36 games. One is Premiership-class; but the other is world-class."

Says eveything to me. Moro is so much a better player than Beattie will ever be.

In my eyes Moro is the best player in the World right now. Sure big boast but I saw your collection of last season at Monaco and the guy has everything, he is at his peak football age wise and surely, there has never been a better natural 2 footed player who can hold up the ball, play others in "with tricks", score goals of sublime skill with either foot and I don't think there has been a better header of a football ever.

I was disappointed when Owen left but the replacement is 2 x better. Owen had great pace and right foot but he not even close to the all round skills of Moro.

:)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2005, 03:27:28 pm »
Good article PT!

When you watch Lawro and Hansen these days they both look rather weary and their opinions seem very laboured. Do you think their employers may have something to do with this? Maybe asking them to both churn out the same old lines and stereotypes again and again? When they both started on the Beeb they were like a breath of fresh air opinionated yet knowledgeable. Now they look like they would rather be watching the world junior croquet championships.

The sick thing is i had to agree with you on Andy Gray, never thought i would say Andy Gray talks a lot of sense. What a hit son what a hit, you beauty  ;D

Oh and by the way Kammy isn't enthusiastic he's just plain nuts, he as mad as cheese.
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2005, 03:48:44 pm »
Paul, I will IM you later this evening mate - you gonna be online?

Offline Felix

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: February 7, 2005, 03:49:56 pm »
I wonder if Jocky was secretly hoping his mate Kenny would get the job and that's why he initially came across slightly bitter towards Benitez?

First time I've read some of those quotes of his and some of them are pretty harsh.

But perhaps he is the one maintaining an objective view? We as supporters are (rightly in my opinion) laying off Benitez even when he gets it wrong. Can or should a pundit do that? Some of our performances this season HAVE been shocking, and Josemi, Nunez and Garcia HAVE in turn (and sometimes together) stunk the place out.

Perhaps he just doesn't want to get burned again? My video of the UEFA Cup final has his prophetic remark 'and for me, Heskey is a snip at £11m' (not an outrageous claim based on Bruno's first season but there weren't many people saying it last year). Perhaps he's just being encouraged to be more controversial by the Beeb/Telegraph? Perhaps he's just spent far too much time sitting next to Mark Lawrenson...

I agree that his punditry in general is becoming rather stale and have said so before. Too often he just goes through the motions for us, rolling out his favourite little couplets: 'pace & power', 'touch & technique', 'time & space' and letting us know what to associate with these qualities 'when you talk about' them.

I did comment at the time that I was very very disappointed to read a piece of his that practically urged Gerrard to join Chelsea. Type of thing I've come to expect from Lawrenson, and sad to see from Jocky.

Last comment:

and you suddenly have reason to mourn the passing of ... even the awful Tactics Truck.

Too far. You'd already made your point. Lawro may talk shite and Jocky's going down the pan, but you don't start yearning for Townsend's 'Tactics Truck' or Nevin's 'ANALysis Area' (even more excruciating than Digger's presenting).

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #9 on: February 7, 2005, 03:52:40 pm »
Supoib, as I said already mate count me in!

Nitpicking but Dyer's name is spelt Kieron  :wave

Oh and  ;D PaulF, too true, this baby's going to be bigger than Bible!!!
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 7, 2005, 03:58:16 pm »
Cheers, guys. Of course the Tactics Truck claim was tongue-in-cheek...

Paul, I will IM you later this evening mate - you gonna be online?

On and off  :wave

Nitpicking but Dyer's name is spelt Kieron  :wave

Funny, I Googled it as "Kieren Dyer" and got loads of hits relating to Newcastle FC, so assumed it was correct.

I'm going to have to buy the Tomkins book in pdf format. There is no way I can find a bookshelf to support his tome.  I'm not entirely sure the floor of my flat will take it.  I am certain though it will be a good read, as long as he promises he hasn't just joined together all the articles posted here.

(watch out for them suddenly disappearing when the book is released).  ;D

P

;D

No, won't contain any more than 10% of my internet-based writing.

90% is being written fresh, while I will "borrow" the very best paragraphs and phrases from the net writing where I cannot improve upon what I have said.

Book will be less than 10,000 pages, I promise...  :P

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #11 on: February 7, 2005, 04:46:01 pm »
With an eye to muh learned friends, all I am going to say here is that some media pundits have a lot of personal "issues" and have been much closer than optimum to the water of life - as opposed to the pool of life - over recent months.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 7, 2005, 04:49:21 pm »
Paul, good article as always, but to defend Hansen a bit:

He is on the wane and does indeed look bored with the game, but I think you've been too precise in your appraisal of him.
I think when he refers to Houllier's "all french" policy, I think really, he's referring to the summer 02 spending spree, which saw 3 players join from the french league - for a combined £20m quid - who did nowt.

There was a general worry, which Hansen tapped into , that we were going all spanish, without any thought as to how they'd fit in over here, and there was also the impression that we weren't exactly getting the best of Spanish.
Garcia couldn't get a game at Barcelona - in terms of the Champions league, one of our rivals.
Nunez was a make-weight who got thrown in the bag along with the cash like an impulse bag of M&Ms at the till at Tescos.
Josemi was a work-man like right-back from Mallorca who no-one had heard of, because he was average at an average team.
Throw in Pellegrino and you've got a balace there that allows people to say "mediocrity".

Buying Diao, Diouf and Cheyrou was ultimately enough to get Houllier the soft heave-ho - and without a couple of very inspired and astute purchases, Hansen might well have had a point about Benitez.
Alonso and Morientes are the two of course, and they don't fit in, in any way, to the phrase "conveyor belt of mediocrity".
But the others are mediocre, and are squad players.  If that's all they were bought for, then jobs a good 'un.  If they were bought to take us a level up, then maybe there is a problem there.

Many of his other points you've rightly put down - but he's there to sell papers, if you want objective, intelligent punditry without anything which generate press - I think you're looking in the wrong place.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Red Eye

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: February 7, 2005, 04:51:29 pm »
Paul,

Great piece as always.

It was me who posted on the forum the Daily Telegraph piece two weeks ago as I felt the article was one of the worst pieces of writing I have seen in a long time.

Alan Hanson does not understand football finances – otherwise he would realise that Chelsea can not carry on like this.

When I watch MOTD – I just watch the matches, I don’t want to hear what Hanson et al. say – because they are inconsistent in their opinions and views.

Keep up the good posts.

Regards

Red Eye ;)

Offline rowan

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: February 7, 2005, 04:57:01 pm »
If the books written that well, i'd buy one just to improve my english.
A very good piece, echoing my sentiments entirely. Even if it takes rafa 2 years, one by one he will implement all the pieces of the jigsaw and replace those who can't stick to the plan.
With or without the large funding input we've heard so much about, by hook or by crook (watch rafa plunder the bosman market for great players with the right attitude), rafa will create what we've all been waiting for.
The funny thing is, with the new 'elite trio' all fighting it out with thier multi million transfers and ego wars, we can slip in through the back door while nobody really expects us to challange.
The next 5 years of premiership is going to be the best we've seen!

Offline Polemicist

• Part time feedback tourist.
  • Anny Roader
  • Scouse Solidarity...
« Reply #15 on: February 7, 2005, 04:59:13 pm »
This is a great read and provides a perspective that is so horrendously absent in the sensationalist world of modern football journalism.

Insightful points backed up with sustained examples, poor Hansen appears to be absorbed in the very bubble of tabloid shite which he used to oppose in his now infamous manner.

It's fresh outlook what this game needs - particulalry in the post-Roman era.

Boycott The Sun: Honour the victims, the families, the City.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 7, 2005, 05:23:54 pm »
Excellent as usual.  :)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 7, 2005, 05:33:43 pm »
Cheers, all.

I don't want to seem like I have it in for Alan Hansen - I don't, I just feel a little let down. The book, amongst many other things, will look into the pundits who regularly discuss LFC, and what we can expect from them.

I still have huge respect for Hansen, I just feel he's stuck in some strange rut. If the amount the Telegraph or the BBC are paying him influences what he's writing, then you have to question his integrity.

Offline Thommo's Beak

• Main Stander
  • Fly the flag my Red Army!
« Reply #18 on: February 7, 2005, 06:14:05 pm »
Good shit mate, keep the research going!
A spectre is haunting Europe - the spectre of Liverpool

Offline Kirsty

• Has a list of older men she'd like to 'wotsit'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @kirstycurran
« Reply #19 on: February 7, 2005, 06:58:02 pm »
Fantastic article Paul.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 7, 2005, 07:05:31 pm »

Offline Jim Price

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 7, 2005, 07:10:23 pm »
Very good that Paul. Have to say I was saddened by Hansen adding to the hyperbole surrounding the club. When he said about the Southampton game that was the worst performance he had seen since he left the club, I don't believe that he was being true to himself.

Maybe he feels that in order to stay at the top of the pundit tree he needs to put out sensationalist soundbytes. I'm afraid he's fast becoming a rent-a-quote like Lawrenson.

hoonin

« Reply #22 on: February 7, 2005, 07:55:40 pm »

Luis Garcia's form has been very mixed (from the sublime to the ridiculous), but he offers something new to the first team, and after a difficult winter, appears to be rediscovering his form, with two fine assists in his last two games.

It took him just half a season to equal the combined league goals tallies Diouf (three) and Cheyrou (two) managed in two full seasons, and he's already surpassed Robert Pires' first-season tally. Luis Garcia's second-half performance at Charlton was something we just never came to see from Cheyrou (who had that spell of scoring four goals in four games, but was still rarely involved in the action). It's fair to say we can expect more from Luis Garcia, but the lad has talent, and has influenced a number of games. He is still settling in, and has had to cope with life in a new country, and the birth of his son (all new parents know that it's a very difficult time).

For those that still seem to struggle with Garcia and the value he can bring, the above seems to be an absolute killer of a point. Clear, concise and accurate. Nail on head again Paul!

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #23 on: February 7, 2005, 08:23:33 pm »
Good article Paul, I've lost a lot of the respect I had for Alan Hansen over the last year and it seems that the majority of Liverpool supporters feel the same.

Offline Al Bol

• Ugly Bastard. Brother of Spag.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 7, 2005, 09:17:49 pm »
Great article as usual, Paul.  One of the few authors I'll see a long article from and bother reading it  :wave

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #25 on: February 7, 2005, 09:47:43 pm »
I think you have accurately criticised Hansen's column here. The 'Houllier only bought crap French players' (and now Rafa only buys Spanish) thing has been a myth for far too long and is only propagated by the over the top comments coming from the (formerly) most respected x-Liverpool pundit. As you say, Paul, where are the alternatives then? Where is the money to buy the overpriced English players 'who you know what you are getting' with then? When two of the five Spaniards are 'world class'  (Ok, getting there in Alonso's case) isn't that a good return?

It is a sad state of affairs when even Soccer Saturday (OK I've maybe taken it too far here) can present better analysis than the Beeb but that is the way it has gone. My respect for Hansen seems to have ebbed away and Lawro, well, the least said the better.

Internet terrorist

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #26 on: February 7, 2005, 11:38:56 pm »
Paul, good article as always, but to defend Hansen a bit:

He is on the wane and does indeed look bored with the game, but I think you've been too precise in your appraisal of him.

Garcia couldn't get a game at Barcelona - in terms of the Champions league, one of our rivals.
Nunez was a make-weight who got thrown in the bag along with the cash like an impulse bag of M&Ms at the till at Tescos.
Josemi was a work-man like right-back from Mallorca who no-one had heard of, because he was average at an average team.
Throw in Pellegrino and you've got a balace there that allows people to say "mediocrity".

Many of his other points you've rightly put down - but he's there to sell papers, if you want objective, intelligent punditry without anything which generate press - I think you're looking in the wrong place.

Some great points Life and I would agree with most of your sentiments.  I think many fans are showing a degree of hypocrisy and disrespect to Hansen who is undeniably a die-hard Red, and extremely knowledgeable to boot.  A few personal / paraphrased quotes should not be enough to make us vilify him.

We cannot ignore his valid quotes.

Regarding the bigger picture, maybe AH feels the need to become more controversial.  Although a legend to us, to the mainstream public, he himself is in danger of becoming a 'relic' ---- he is afterall associated with a team of 15 summers past and new kids on he block are being wheeled out all the time (eg Gavin 'who the f***' Peacock).

Maybe he too is under job pressure.  His fame was based on being part of the best team around.  Now it is mainly 30+ somethings who relate to him.  Soon punters will demand recently retired MU and Arsenal players.  And just to stay fashionable, Chelsea players -- hence Peacock.

So maybe picking on Hansen's every indiscretion is an easy option?

Otherwise, a good, well balanced article PT. :wave
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 7, 2005, 11:56:17 pm »
Excellent, well informed & sensical article Paul. May I suggest that you email it to the beeb sports desk marked FAO: Mr A. Hansen? Be interesting to see how/if he responded to something that took longer than 5minutes to write.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 8, 2005, 03:59:42 am »
Can't agree with you more, Paul.  Sadly, Hansen used to be one of the fairer minded columnists.   He was not shy from criticising but much more constructively.  And the thing he now -  and the rest of the media - irk me, which you rightly pointed out, is one rule for other teams and another for Liverpool.  And we are judged far more harshly.   Some, such as Guardian, are simply incapable of putting a just word for us.

I can understand the media swooning at the feet of Arsenal (their unbeaten run and beautiful football last season) and the Mancs (the most successful permiership team ever - mind you, football was only born with the Permiership  ::).  But the way they, including the once great Hansen, swoon at Chelsea's feet  :puke  One got to ask: is $$ and success at all cost really all that matter?  Where is the love of the game?

Tomorrow is the Chinese New Year.  Good sales of your book, Paul, and Kung Hei Fat Choi (which means prosperity) to everyone on RAWK!   :wave

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: February 8, 2005, 06:01:36 am »
Excellent article !
"Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red strength." Bill Shankly

"The difference between Everton and the Queen Mary is that Everton carry more passengers!" Bill Shankly

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #30 on: February 8, 2005, 09:05:03 am »
Excellent article and an interesting read.

Living in Africa, I don't depend on the Beeb for my Liverpool fix, and hence don't see much of Hansen. However, I do read some of his comments on the beeb website -whic are disappointing for a player that will always be remembered as part of one of the most (if not the most) successful English teams.

However Supersport (SA satelite channel which broadcasts most of Liverpool's games live) had a show called "Liverpool Legends on Safari" featuring Hansen and King Kenny. Thgis was shown last September (I think), and it was clear that Kenny and Jocky remain Liverpool fans, and I believe appeared relatively optimistic about the beginning Of Rafa's reign.

Hansen was under no pressure on this show and wasn't required to disparage anything Liverpool. Maybe, he does feel under pressure in the UK to follow the usual media line to love the Mancs, Arse and Chelsea, and disparage anything Liverpool.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 8, 2005, 09:57:07 am »
It appears Lawro Likes us and especially Moro once again, finally something positive from El Moustachio!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N147770050208-0937.htm
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 8, 2005, 10:59:08 am »
Lawro changes his opinion more than his socks. The noob can sod off  :upyours

Offline Another-kop-hero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #33 on: February 8, 2005, 11:44:59 am »
Fantastic read cant wait for your book  :wave

In that article you have just covered what i was getting from this lad at work about the one rule for others clubs and one rule for liverpool, and saying we have to many foreigners and that are not  pulling there weight ??? so i got on the that fact that Alonso has been one of the most influential signings pre-Moro and that you can't just sit back and say he has been average for that i just got a laugh and we got back to work, i got on about the fact that Chelsea and arsenal have as much if not more foreigners in there team and and one or two 1st team players worth shouting about and even they have had flops but he just said well you are always going to some players who wont be able to keep up with the game but didn't mention any thing about the amount of foreigners at the clubs
I do prefer talking to him about the football instead of the monotone i get from mates "were on the same track as Leeds" "Rafa is another houlier"

But i have seen alot of the this going on and at first just thought nothing of it but of late it has started to come about more and more
Any way I'm starting to ramble so I'll leave it at that and again can't wait for the release of your book  :wave

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 8, 2005, 11:47:15 am »
Fantastic read cant wait for your book  :wave

Cheers  :wave

Have you emailed your interest, btw?

Offline Matts

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: February 8, 2005, 12:05:52 pm »
Paul I must admit, your book does look like a good read  :wave, and i also must say, this has got to be one of the best ways of advertising your work.  :P
Opinion, What most want to give, but what most don't want to hear

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 8, 2005, 12:09:47 pm »
Paul I must admit, your book does look like a good read  :wave, and i also must say, this has got to be one of the best ways of advertising your work.  :P

It's only advertising to people who've read the million+ words I've written in several hundred unpaid articles on the club in the last five years!  :D   :wave

It people wish to repay that dedication by buying the book, I won't stop them!   ;D

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #37 on: February 8, 2005, 12:18:49 pm »

It's only advertising to people who've read the million+ words I've written in several hundred unpaid articles on the club in the last five years!  :D   :wave

Whereas the intro to the new book is already that long....  ;D

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 8, 2005, 12:19:26 pm »
great read Paul. It's infuriating listening to Lawro at times but never thought Hansen would catch up with him - then again I'm sick of most journalists/pundits which is why RAWK comes in so handy, and so often.

Dear Gordon Strachan... please take your place on MOTD1.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 8, 2005, 12:20:28 pm »
Wow! what a rant :wellin
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap