Address: St. James' Park, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE1 4ST
Capacity: 52,316
Away Allocation: 5000

To see Newcastle's fixtures Click HERE

St James's Park is located almost clap bang in the middle of the City Centre

DIRECTIONS & PARKING

To see a map of th ground and surrounding areas click here

By Train:
You will arrive at Central Station. As you leave the station cross over the road and go up the side-street left of the pastry shop. At the top of that street, cross the road and head up Westgate Road. You will see 'Tillies' bar on your left. Head up right and immediately you will see the ground.

By Car
At the end of the A1(M) continue on the A1 and then the A184 towards Newcastle. Continue along this road, bearing left onto the A189. Continue over the River Tyne on the Redheugh Bridge, from which the ground can be clearly seen. Carry on straight up the dual carriageway (St James Boulevard). This leads directly to the Gallowgate end of the ground. As the ground is so central there are a number of pay and display car parks in the vicinity.

or try......

An easier way into the City is to stay on the A1 until the exit for Westerhope. Leave the A1 go straight over two roundabouts and then follow the signs for the Royal Victoria Infirmary (Queen Victoria Road) - parking here is in a multi storey and allows a reasonably quick getaway after the game'.

By Train
Newcastle Central Railway Station is half a mile from the ground and takes 10-15 minutes to walk.

'Come out of the station, across the two zebra crossings and head right onto Grainger Street. Follow this road up to the second set of traffic lights (at Pizza Hut). This will see you at the top of the Bigg Market - Drinker's Paradise! You should have met a throng of black and white shirts by now, but failing that, bear left onto Newgate Street and follow the road all the way around to the roundabout with Gallowgate. Following this road all the way round will lead you straight to St James Park and the away fans' section'

INFO:
You can see the ground as you approach over Redhugh Bridge, which misses out the city centre. There are several car parks in the area, but every game has a capacity crowd of 52,000 so the further you park away from the ground the easier it is to get away

Thoughts:
Superb ground. One of my favourites to visit. The ground is modern and massive and looks it as you approach from the direction of the train station. Our fans can be found in the West Corner of the Sir John Hall Stand in level 7 which is a full 14 flights of steps from the turnstile level (the third photo below was taken from this away fans area). Our allocation is the usual Premier League standard 3,000.

Because of the height the away section is probably unsuitable for those with vertigo, bad eyesight and all those steps can affect those with heart problems or asthma. Can take ten minutes to climb them and twenty to recover - be warned! You do get a beautiful view of the Newcastle skyline and countryside beyond though, even if the lads on the pitch sometimes resemble subbuteo players.

Facilities are excellent with plenty of food/drink kiosks in a spacious concourse. Leg room and height between rows is very good.

Pub guide and extras
Reminiscent of the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, you'll find St. James' Park is in the heart of the city, barely a stones throw from the famous Gallowgate and Bigg Market areas. As a result there are plenty of bars to choose from in the city centre, but most away fans just pile out of the Railway Station and head for the nearby pubs such as A Head Of Steam, The Lounge and O'Neills. Why not have a look at a decent Newcastle pub guide and try somewhere different:

www.pubsnewcastle.co.uk or www.theburglarsdog.co.uk

Beer is served in the ground in lovely Newcastle-branded plastic glasses.

Away Fans:
Sir John Hall Stand: Adults: £32, Senior Citizens £26, Juniors £17.

Official Programme: £3.
The Mag Fanzine: £2.
True Faith Fanzine: £2.

Stadium Plan:

Disabled Facilities
For details of disabled facilities at the ground please visit the relevant page on the National Association Of Disabled Supporters (NADS) Click HERE

Further information on Newcastle Utd from footballgroundguide.co.uk and The Football Supporters Federation

IamDave:
V high up indeed, higher than most surrounding blds. 

TheKid.:
Very impressive ground, feels kind of like approaching a Continental European ground when you walk up to it (coupled with not being able to understand the locals :P).

We parked on a pay and display right in the city centre (we had a mate who lives there to help us find this, and we didnt bother paying coz it was a Sunday) tho i doubt you can do this for Saturday KOs.

Here is our view from yesterday to put in perspective how high up we sit:

Riises left boot:
I couldn't enjoy it from all the way up there I was directly opposite you and even though I believe you would have had a great time it would be a lot better if you could tell who was who etc.

TheKid.:

--- Quote from: Riises left boot on March 20, 2006, 02:07:33 pm ---I couldn't enjoy it from all the way up there I was directly opposite you and even though I believe you would have had a great time it would be a lot better if you could tell who was who etc.

--- End quote ---

Its actually not THAT bad really, i could always tell who had the ball (for us anyway, dont overly know their no marks :P) which is good for me, who once thought Xavier had scored a second at Portman road, when it was Sami!!

Also its much easier to tell whos who and that than say, the Camp Nou, where i didnt have a clue!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version