Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399692 times)

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #4080 on: January 31, 2019, 10:55:24 pm »
Should be pinned to the top of the forum. All the 'what if's', 'we might win the league' all this stuff for me just adds pressure when it's not needed. Klopp must feel like banging his head against a wall sometimes but he has said a million times it's far to early for talk like that yet so many people just keep freaking out about losing a point here or there or not winning.

Like Klopp said only a child would look at the league with so many games to go and think we could win. There is so much more football to play and we need to just keep backing the team without any added pressure as it helps no-one.

People will disagree but even threads like this one I really don't like at all and wish they didn't exist, the more people go on about it and get nervous the more it builds up and doesn't help, it's like watching the build up and massive hype the media spout before a game all it does it add pressure, VVD has even said as much so we know it can effect the players.

Sad thing is I know it will fall on deaf ears but I hope so much people will just take a step back and calm down a touch, at least wait until April before we start shitting it. Do people have nerves, of course, I'm getting wound up more than I have before but I'm using that anxiety to scream my head off at the match to get behind the team, so it's actually helping me be more supportive using it that way.

And it's ALL part of the professional game called football!  Lol

Otherwise  there's no expectations, no adrenaline, no hype, no nothing. Might as well go back to our play console and play the game there.

The spectator is part of the game. There's no two ways about that. Klopp knows that. He has to manage his players in tandem with that. After ALL they are paid a handsome sum to do just that. For the spectators.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4081 on: January 31, 2019, 11:02:08 pm »

Otherwise  there's no expectations, no adrenaline, no hype, no nothing. Might as well go back to our play console and play the game there.

The spectator is part of the game. There's no two ways about that. Klopp knows that. He has to manage his players in tandem with that. After ALL they are paid a handsome sum to do just that. For the spectators.

It doesn't matter that they are paid a shit load of money though, at the end of the day they are human like we are. This is something that Klopp strives to point out constantly, the pressure we put our own team under, the baggage they have to play with constantly. Every single day a reminder we haven't won the league for 29 years, how many times before that statement becomes an even bigger burden on the team that goes out each match? Why do we feel we have to almost punish this teams for the sins of the past, say nothing of the manager.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4082 on: January 31, 2019, 11:09:24 pm »
It doesn't matter that they are paid a shit load of money though, at the end of the day they are human like we are. This is something that Klopp strives to point out constantly, the pressure we put our own team under, the baggage they have to play with constantly. Every single day a reminder we haven't won the league for 29 years, how many times before that statement becomes an even bigger burden on the team that goes out each match? Why do we feel we have to almost punish this teams for the sins of the past, say nothing of the manager.
What? Whos punishing the players for the sins of the past? Thats some over reaction. All that poster was saying is that the players are professionel enough to handle the pressure but we as fans arent in that position and to be fair,players come and go yet fans are here for their entire lives and feel the burden far more than the latest crop of players brought in to deliver the title. Yes we all need to  be cognisant of the effect of an over excited fan base but its human nature.

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #4083 on: January 31, 2019, 11:11:02 pm »
That could also mean they have a chance of being in the title race, because if they did beat us and City, then they’d be a point ahead of City and 4 behind us. They have some control in the matter. If they didn’t play either of us, then they’d have to rely on us dropping points where they have no control.

Spurs are title contenders, just ask them, they'll tell ya.

There's a pattern emerging though.

-After their historic double last season (lifting both the Above Liverpool Trophy and the Above Arsenal Trophy), they got played off the pitch in early season matches against Liverpool, City, and Arsenal.

-Before Christmas they reminded everyone of their title challenging bona fides after they pulled above City into second, then got rolled at home by Wolves.

-Last week, they told everyone who'd listen just how well they were competing in the domestic cups, and before anyone could say "quadruple", they crashed out of both.

Are Spurs really title contenders? Who knows, but I'm putting a packet on Rafa's boys this weekend.

[Sorry for the sarcasm, it's -10F where I live and I'm going nuts]

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4084 on: January 31, 2019, 11:13:58 pm »

Spectators my arse they're supposed to be supporters. Spectators can fuck off to the opera.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4085 on: January 31, 2019, 11:16:49 pm »
What? Whos punishing the players for the sins of the past? Thats some over reaction. All that poster was saying is that the players are professionel enough to handle the pressure but we as fans arent in that position and to be fair,players come and go yet fans are here for their entire lives and feel the burden far more than the latest crop of players brought in to deliver the title. Yes we all need to  be cognisant of the effect of an over excited fan base but its human nature.

If it begins to affect the players then it starts to become a problem that's the point I'm making. Is it normal for the likes of Van Dijk to suddenly come out and mention the tension around the ground? Interviews such as that one are usually done with a reason in mind. It is way too early for any of us to be burdening ourselves with the thought of winning any title. There is a third of the season still to go and plenty can yet happen. Which is why we need to take stock and control our disappointment in a moment like this and realise overall we are still in a strong position. It feels as though some are already taking the run in for granted without us actually getting there first.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4086 on: January 31, 2019, 11:17:19 pm »
Sounds like a spectator sport to me.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4087 on: January 31, 2019, 11:18:34 pm »
Am I imagining things or is the fixture list a lot kinder this year? We seemed to get a fair gap in the normally mental Xmas period and Spurs for example play on Saturday having played on the same day as us and we get an extra 2 days rest. Not complaining like.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4088 on: January 31, 2019, 11:18:57 pm »
Spectators my arse they're supposed to be supporters. Spectators can fuck off to the opera.
Please support by not watching anything about Liverpool FC.   

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4089 on: January 31, 2019, 11:20:19 pm »
Please support by not watching anything about Liverpool FC.

Que?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #4090 on: January 31, 2019, 11:28:42 pm »
If it begins to affect the players then it starts to become a problem that's the point I'm making. Is it normal for the likes of Van Dijk to suddenly come out and mention the tension around the ground? Interviews such as that one are usually done with a reason in mind. It is way too early for any of us to be burdening ourselves with the thought of winning any title. There is a third of the season still to go and plenty can yet happen. Which is why we need to take stock and control our disappointment in a moment like this and realise overall we are still in a strong position. It feels as though some are already taking the run in for granted without us actually getting there first.
Well again,do you really know of any fan who believes we are going to win it with 14 games to go? We didnt play well last night with Allisson and Vvd particularly below their usual brilliant selves. I actualy think it was the way we played that got to the fans,we never really got at them after we scored. The match going fans have always been that way even when we werent within an arses roar of winning it. We have i believe a certain way we want the team to perform and we know what they are capable of,last night was one of those nights where we just werent at it and i think the fans saw it as the game went on.

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #4091 on: January 31, 2019, 11:32:23 pm »
Neither did the internet in its current form.
Therefore, breaking the internet/RAWK will lead to us winning the league!
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4092 on: January 31, 2019, 11:32:51 pm »
Going by your own words you don't think they'll overtake both us and City so how they could they possibly be in the race for first?

I dont think they'll WIN it. We didn't win the title the 13/14 season but we were damn sure in the race, they can compete without ending top

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #4093 on: January 31, 2019, 11:34:28 pm »
Interesting from VVD and Klopp. Difficult for a supporter to not be influenced by what's happening on the pitch when you have so much hope, expectation and love for the team. I get that's when the team need the vocal support but what's interesting to me is how this is a direct contrast to what Klopp said when he first arrived. We are a different animal now I know. Back then we were playing turgid football and the groans from supporters were a regular thing. I can't find the quote but I remember Klopp being asked about the Anfield atmosphere and the role the supporters played. He said it wasn't their responsibility to create the atmosphere, it was the players. Play in a way that gets the fans excited. Now maybe he meant it in reference to where we were then but the point still stands. Supporters respond to what is happening on the field. I think the better perspective though is in Jurgen's phrase where he says "everyone is responsible for everything".

We all have a part to play and if it happens that we fall short, which is a possibility, the day it happens hopefully YNWA will be ringing out from the stands.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4094 on: January 31, 2019, 11:35:52 pm »
Well again,do you really know of any fan who believes we are going to win it with 14 games to go? We didnt play well last night with Allisson and Vvd particularly below their usual brilliant selves. I actualy think it was the way we played that got to the fans,we never really got at them after we scored. The match going fans have always been that way even when we werent within an arses roar of winning it. We have i believe a certain way we want the team to perform and we know what they are capable of,last night was one of those nights where we just werent at it and i think the fans saw it as the game went on.

Part of the problem becomes when City do lose points there becomes this natural desperation in thinking only three points next game is going to do for us. I think its natural when you haven't played for nearly a couple of weeks that your natual rhythm is going to be affected. I think had we managed to put another a chance away after the first goal we would have probably won last night, but our finishing just wasn't sharp enough. I agree that in the stadium it can become hard for the fans to cope with, it was like that in 2009 when I was going especially near the end. But maybe we should also remember the point that Roy Evans made after the game, that point earned last night, could be the point that wins us a league title. At the moment we don't know, so let's just wait and see.

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #4095 on: January 31, 2019, 11:37:27 pm »

Yes, the supporters are here for their entire lives. And they want to see their team succeed, no matter who the players are. When we concede, we want them to put their heads right back up and go again. When the going gets tough and the chips are down, we want them to keep trying and staying up for it until that final whistle blows. Yet, what do we do ourselves when these situations arrive? A home game loses its advantage when the crowd isn't on the same page with the team. Anfield isn't the fortress it's supposed to be then. And ultimately that might again be the main reason why a title challenge of ours goes to shit. Or do you think 29 years without winning it are purely down to bad luck?
Let's just learn from our past mistakes, just like the team has to do, too. Everyone's allowed to get frustrated after a draw and a wasted opportunity, but why show it to the players in the ground? You can scream and shout up your entire block when you're back home. What's the purpose of doing it in front of the team and letting them have it? Certainly won't lift them up for the next game...

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4096 on: January 31, 2019, 11:45:25 pm »
Yes, the supporters are here for their entire lives. And they want to see their team succeed, no matter who the players are. When we concede, we want them to put their heads right back up and go again. When the going gets tough and the chips are down, we want them to keep trying and staying up for it until that final whistle blows. Yet, what do we do ourselves when these situations arrive? A home game loses its advantage when the crowd isn't on the same page with the team. Anfield isn't the fortress it's supposed to be then. And ultimately that might again be the main reason why a title challenge of ours goes to shit. Or do you think 29 years without winning it are purely down to bad luck?
Let's just learn from our past mistakes, just like the team has to do, too. Everyone's allowed to get frustrated after a draw and a wasted opportunity, but why show it to the players in the ground? You can scream and shout up your entire block when you're back home. What's the purpose of doing it in front of the team and letting them have it? Certainly won't lift them up for the next game...

Again its being a human being, the fans aren't robots.

You can look at yesterdays game as 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. We saw City lose (no the ignore City stuff isn't realistic) We conceded at a shit time in an arguably unjust manner, we played worse than we have been over the course of the season, looked shaky at the back and moved the ball very slowly which is the opposite of what you need to do to open up these deep defensive line sides, all of that feeds into anxiety from fans, at the same time, hearing fans groan or display frustration will naturally get to the fans and make them feel pressure. It goes both ways, the thing is this 'stay calm' stuff is delightfully optimistic but is it realistic? How many of you can say you sat and watched the game without showing any signs of frustration or anxiety? Why is it different if you are in the stadium, you feel the exact same things and to be honest, there were a good number of times where fans were cheering us on and encouraging when we had them penned in, when we were looking to create chances, when the ref clearly got things wrong, it wasn't all moans and groans.

EVERY side has anxiety around the stadium in big games, its always been the case and to be honest it always will be

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4097 on: January 31, 2019, 11:54:49 pm »

You can look at yesterdays game as 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. We saw City lose (no the ignore City stuff isn't realistic) We conceded at a shit time in an arguably unjust manner, we played worse than we have been over the course of the season, looked shaky at the back and moved the ball very slowly which is the opposite of what you need to do to open up these deep defensive line sides, all of that feeds into anxiety from fans, at the same time, hearing fans groan or display frustration will naturally get to the fans and make them feel pressure. It goes both ways, the thing is this 'stay calm' stuff is delightfully optimistic but is it realistic? How many of you can say you sat and watched the game without showing any signs of frustration or anxiety? Why is it different if you are in the stadium, you feel the exact same things and to be honest, there were a good number of times where fans were cheering us on and encouraging when we had them penned in, when we were looking to create chances, when the ref clearly got things wrong, it wasn't all moans and groans.

EVERY side has anxiety around the stadium in big games, its always been the case and to be honest it always will be

Moving the ball quickly on a pitch and in conditions like last night was always going to be challenging though. It really wasn't going to be that kind of game to be honest, say nothing of the fact that we hadn't played for over ten days either, so we had regain our rhythm. As I said in an earlier post had we got a second goal earlier on than we would probably have won, but our lack of playing sharpness cost us overall.

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #4098 on: January 31, 2019, 11:55:24 pm »

It's absolutely realistic. It may sound harsh, but if you don't have that mentality, don't go to the stadium when a title race is on. Yes, you can groan and moan after the 10th unforced error because it gets annoying. But don't let tension become the main part of the atmosphere. That's going to cost us.
I mean just look at it. It's a home game, it's 1-1, it's Leicester. Why the hell would we not win this? No matter how the game is going, why would I not try everything I can to help the team win it and leave out the unhelpful stuff as best I can? I'll never understand that.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4099 on: January 31, 2019, 11:56:55 pm »
If City had beaten Newcastle and we had beaten Leicester everyone woulld be bouncing because we had maintained our 4 point gap with one less game to play.   Yet we increase the gap to 5 and so many are flapping.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4100 on: February 1, 2019, 12:03:04 am »
to be honest the reaction to our draw against Leicester is surprising to me. We gained a point on City. What's there to be upset about? We could have been 2 points further ahead than we are but when I look at City this year, they don't seem to be the team of last season. They're the ones wobbling more than we are. I think many of the Liverpool fans are influenced by the "banter" of other PL fanbases. All of them are desperate to see us fail again. The draw against the Foxes has given them straws to clutch.

We will not relinquish our lead in the league and we will win it by scoring at least 96 points. Even if we don't, don't have a meltdown, it is what it is.

I think it's football in the modern era. People are seeing the league won or lost depending on results on any given week. There were City fans declaring the title all over after they lost the other night. The night after some of ours were seeing it almost as a title clincher if we managed to beat Leicester and go 7 points clear. Now we've drawn, some are seeing it as evidence that we will crumble. It's absolute madness with so much of the season to go. Some are going to have a coronary if it carries on like this. It's a crazy boom or bust mentality that breeds rampant anxiety. It's the same for City fans. They had it easy last season and don't like being challenged. Thing is, we are making this season very, very uncomfortable for them and they are full of angst too. You can tell just how rattled they are by the horrible bile spewed out by them on their main forums.

There has also been an inaccurate narrative set from the off this season where City are expected to win virtually every game and those chasing them are doomed if they slip up just once or twice. The reality is different. City have lost four times, and three of those loses came against sides they were supposedly nailed-on to beat. We've lost just once ... to City themselves, yet as soon as we draw a game we should really have lost on the night, we feel doomed again despite actually extending our points advantage.

The media are driving an awful lot of the hysteria too. Everything is forensically examined in the press, on television, by pundits and just about everyone else and his dog. The media love writing up everything in extreme terms. A setback is a disaster rather just a brief down in a season choc-full of up and downs, twists and turns. It all has to be at fever pitch for them. It pulls in viewers, sells papers and attracts clicks. Many of us buy into it whether we mean to or not and end up panicking after a draw with a third of the season to go. Plenty of City fans did the same 24hrs earlier after they lost. Now, despite going even further behind us, their tails are up, whilst ours are down after extending our lead in a game we should really have lost.

We are all being whipped up into a frenzy, but we really need to stand back a little and see the bigger picture. It might just help with how we approach the game as fans, and a bit more of a relaxed atmosphere may well help the team on the pitch.

Come the end of the season we may or may not have something to celebrate, but in the meantime I think we need to at least try to enjoy the ride. For so long we wanted a side that would compete. We have it now. We signed up for this. The angst goes with the territory, but it shouldn't get in the way of us supporting the team 100% and doing all we can to see them through.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4101 on: February 1, 2019, 12:12:20 am »
Moving the ball quickly on a pitch and in conditions like last night was always going to be challenging though. It really wasn't going to be that kind of game to be honest, say nothing of the fact that we hadn't played for over ten days either, so we had regain our rhythm. As I said in an earlier post had we got a second goal earlier on than we would probably have won, but our lack of playing sharpness cost us overall.

And that is exactly part of the issue for me Jill and why I don't think the fans can be criticised too much, we're sitting watching our side try to regain their rhythm and sharpness in a game that can directly result in us taking advantage of our main compeitors for the title, that in itself is always going to cause some degree of anxiety. Agree 100% the pitch made things difficult, but then that's just another thing that plays into it as people see we aren't moving the ball quickly due to the conditions, see moving it slowly isn't creating chances, see the clock ticking on while we look uncharacteristically shaky at the other end and as a direct result worry that things aren't going our way. That's without even factoring in it feels like the refs against us with his bad decision after bad decision

I'm not saying moan and groan all game and its okay, but I do think the atmosphere was understandable

It's absolutely realistic. It may sound harsh, but if you don't have that mentality, don't go to the stadium when a title race is on. Yes, you can groan and moan after the 10th unforced error because it gets annoying. But don't let tension become the main part of the atmosphere. That's going to cost us.
I mean just look at it. It's a home game, it's 1-1, it's Leicester. Why the hell would we not win this? No matter how the game is going, why would I not try everything I can to help the team win it and leave out the unhelpful stuff as best I can? I'll never understand that.

It doesn't sound harsh at all, it just sounds ridiculously unrealistic because no ones fans do that :lmao

You could sit and tell me you watched that match in its entirety without any sign of anxiety of frustration and i'd call bullshit because I don't reckon any of our fans did, its not that simple to just switch of any emotion or feeling towards the game because youv'e walked into the stadium. There's a multitude of things that were going against us last night and it all fed into it. You can write anything out on a forum and make it seem simple as, but most people don't convey emotion after going through a flowchart in their head of whether displaying frustration is a good choice at this present moment in time and thinking what are the knock on effects of me being frustrated. No one's saying moan and groan constantly but it was a case of what was happening on the field feeding into the emotion through the stands and that feeding back into what was going on during the game on the field.

If its as simple as that you could sit and say whip up a champions league atmosphere every anfield game because 'why would I not try everything I can to help the team win' but inevitably, its not the case

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4102 on: February 1, 2019, 12:22:41 am »
If you can't create a positive atmosphere at the match in times like this then don't watch football. Being nervous and anxious during a game is normal, but sitting on your arse and being dead silent and moaning instead spurring the lads on, you know who are trying to win it after 29 years of not winning it, is baffling.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4103 on: February 1, 2019, 12:35:42 am »

It doesn't sound harsh at all, it just sounds ridiculously unrealistic because no ones fans do that :lmao

You could sit and tell me you watched that match in its entirety without any sign of anxiety of frustration and i'd call bullshit because I don't reckon any of our fans did, its not that simple to just switch of any emotion or feeling towards the game because youv'e walked into the stadium.

I don't think it's about not having anxiety. It's not about not being human and it's not about denying frustration. It's about how we react to those things.

Look at it this way:

You are observing someone you care about very much doing a task they have struggled with a number of times in the past. You desperately want them to succeed, but also fear they might fail again. How do you react?

Do you get behind them regardless of when they make some mistakes. Do you encourage them despite your fears for them. Do you keep on encouraging them when things don't go their way, in the hope that your encouragement might help with their confidence and buoy up their resilience and will to keep trying to succeed?

Or...

Do you show your frustration as soon as it looks like they are struggling. Do you groan if they make an error. Do you withdraw visible signs of encouragement because of your own fears and anxieties even though you know your actions will further drain their confidence levels and further impact their performance of the task?

That is basically the same kind of questions we have to ask ourselves when supporting our team in their title challenge.
Much of the task ahead is about psychology and mentality as it is about ability. We know the ability is there, so we have to help out with the psychology whenever we can.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 01:54:22 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4104 on: February 1, 2019, 12:45:06 am »
I know that I watched it with zero anxiety and whilst it was a missed opportunity,we stretched our lead and that's all I care about.

Call bullshit all you like,fact is,you're wrong.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4105 on: February 1, 2019, 01:11:48 am »
And that is exactly part of the issue for me Jill and why I don't think the fans can be criticised too much, we're sitting watching our side try to regain their rhythm and sharpness in a game that can directly result in us taking advantage of our main compeitors for the title, that in itself is always going to cause some degree of anxiety. Agree 100% the pitch made things difficult, but then that's just another thing that plays into it as people see we aren't moving the ball quickly due to the conditions, see moving it slowly isn't creating chances, see the clock ticking on while we look uncharacteristically shaky at the other end and as a direct result worry that things aren't going our way. That's without even factoring in it feels like the refs against us with his bad decision after bad decision

I'm not saying moan and groan all game and its okay, but I do think the atmosphere was understandable

You could sit and tell me you watched that match in its entirety without any sign of anxiety of frustration and i'd call bullshit because I don't reckon any of our fans did, its not that simple to just switch of any emotion or feeling towards the game because youv'e walked into the stadium. There's a multitude of things that were going against us last night and it all fed into it. You can write anything out on a forum and make it seem simple as, but most people don't convey emotion after going through a flowchart in their head of whether displaying frustration is a good choice at this present moment in time and thinking what are the knock on effects of me being frustrated. No one's saying moan and groan constantly but it was a case of what was happening on the field feeding into the emotion through the stands and that feeding back into what was going on during the game on the field.

If its as simple as that you could sit and say whip up a champions league atmosphere every anfield game because 'why would I not try everything I can to help the team win' but inevitably, its not the case

It's not about fans not being frustrated, or turning their emotions off, but how a subsection, that can become incredibly toxic, react to certain situations. It's not unique to our club, but I don't think I've seen it on the scale that Anfield *can* display at other teams chasing titles, with the exception possibly of City back in 2012.

On one hand I'm talking about the howls of frustration, the screams directed at players for not passing forwards, or misplacing passes, or missing a chance. I'm not saying don't make noise, or react to these situations, but for people to actively try to not direct anger and frustration at the team. It is an issue, and I don't think it's something that's wrong to expect doesn't happen. In fairness, and thankfully, it's largely been eradicated, after being an issue I'd say since at least Rafa's reign. Probably before.

On the other hand side [/Klopp] there's the anxiety, the nerves, the quiet muttering, the hands in heads 25 minutes from time in January, in a match we're extending our league lead in. AS Van Dijk said, at this stage it's unnecessary. In the 34th game? Sure. If we're 6 points behind? Fine. If its during a knockout game? Yes! They all make sense. This one is harder to control, I get that, I really do. I watched on TV and was nervous. In simultaneous contradiction I was also confident in the team, because I didn't see them playing nervously. They were having a tough game, sure, for reasons I've listed elsewhere - conditions, injuries, opposition, fitness and a horrific referee. I don't think there wad any consistent display of nerves though, just one or two isolated moments. Robbos volley could be cited as an example, equally, it could be cited as a confident player taking on a ball that was falling perfectly for that sort of attempt.

It's no secret to any Liverpool fan WHY it's happening. We're all desperate to win the league. I think people need to consciously try and calm themselves down though, realise that a nervous muttering to a friend times by 40000 becomes a potential self fulfilling prophecy.

I don't think it's had an impact yet, which is why I'm glad our colossal defender and brilliant manager have tried to calmly address it now, before it does.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 01:13:38 am by wige »

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4106 on: February 1, 2019, 02:48:37 am »
I know that I watched it with zero anxiety and whilst it was a missed opportunity,we stretched our lead and that's all I care about.

Call bullshit all you like,fact is,you're wrong.

Same here. The result is disappointing, but we are still ahead in the table. We still have our fate in our own hands and in fact have extended our lead. If you are anxious now, whats going to happen 5 games down the road, when there are 9 games left and its crunch time? Oh to fast forward to the end of the season when we all know whats going to happen...

Online Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #4107 on: February 1, 2019, 03:21:45 am »
If you can't create a positive atmosphere at the match in times like this then don't watch football. Being nervous and anxious during a game is normal, but sitting on your arse and being dead silent and moaning instead spurring the lads on, you know who are trying to win it after 29 years of not winning it, is baffling.

I was watching on TV and I actually felt more nervous looking at faces and expressions in the crowd. The tension was just unbearable. It’s impossible for that not to transmit on the pitch. I am already dreading what the atmosphere is going to be like in the Bournemouth game. I think the fans in the ground just need believe in the team a little bit more. I mean we’re not on this position by fluke. We must have done something right to be where we are.

This is probably going to sound strange but it might actually be better for us to play away right now after that game, than at home. There will be no tension away at West Ham and the away end will be bouncing. I think we’ll play far better than yesterday and West Ham are not going to defend in 2 banks of 4. They will give it a go which always plays in to our hands on the road.
YWNA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4108 on: February 1, 2019, 04:02:03 am »
I agree with number7, we need some psychological freedom at this time.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4109 on: February 1, 2019, 04:17:36 am »
I was watching on TV and I actually felt more nervous looking at faces and expressions in the crowd. The tension was just unbearable. It’s impossible for that not to transmit on the pitch. I am already dreading what the atmosphere is going to be like in the Bournemouth game. I think the fans in the ground just need believe in the team a little bit more. I mean we’re not on this position by fluke. We must have done something right to be where we are.

This is probably going to sound strange but it might actually be better for us to play away right now after that game, than at home. There will be no tension away at West Ham and the away end will be bouncing. I think we’ll play far better than yesterday and West Ham are not going to defend in 2 banks of 4. They will give it a go which always plays in to our hands on the road.
I think everyone needs to smoke some quality J before the match.

I agree with you playing away from Anfield is a blessing right now

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #4110 on: February 1, 2019, 05:11:24 am »
I think everyone needs to smoke some quality J before the match.

I agree with you playing away from Anfield is a blessing right now

Mate, I treated myself to a fat one before the match and I could still feel myself being tense as fuck lol. Palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy and all that shit. But something flipped and I realised that there is nothing wrong in having hope. I mean, Jurgen did tell us to start believing didn't he? What we need to do as fans is to always ensure that our belief is expressed positively. Always.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4111 on: February 1, 2019, 07:36:41 am »

Having been there ok Wednesday I think there's a lot of sense in here. There were a lot of weird circumstances at work, the atmosphere should have been a lot lot better of course but I do think there's a lot of mitigation in here. If you compare it to the previous game against palace when we were behind, and pegged back, the atmosphere was pretty good throughout. I think a lot played into Wednesday, and that Ultimately the same won't happen again.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4112 on: February 1, 2019, 07:58:29 am »
Mate, I treated myself to a fat one before the match and I could still feel myself being tense as fuck lol. Palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy and all that shit. But something flipped and I realised that there is nothing wrong in having hope. I mean, Jurgen did tell us to start believing didn't he? What we need to do as fans is to always ensure that our belief is expressed positively. Always.

Maybe there was something in that joint?  8)
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4113 on: February 1, 2019, 08:10:17 am »
The Liverpool team were booed off the pitch after going top of the league in Jan. So Anfield being tense far too early in a league challenge season is nothing new. Decades without a title will do that.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #4114 on: February 1, 2019, 08:35:07 am »
Having about 4 pints before going into Anfield makes me so much calmer. I took my son to the Palace game, didn't drink a drop and was a quivering mess.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4115 on: February 1, 2019, 08:45:54 am »
If ours and City's last games were the other way around we'd all be feeling really positive however because we missed an opportunity then it feels negative.

I'm not bothered so much by the result as we did increase our lead slightly, but the performance was the worrying aspect. We looked shaky at the back and laboured going forward. I know the pitch didn't help but Leicester sliced through us quickly on a number of occasions so we really should've been able to do the same more than we did.

Hopefully a game away from Anfield where the other team will be a bit more open might allow us to get a bit of confidence back. We need to give someone a hiding; fingers crossed it'll be on Monday.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4116 on: February 1, 2019, 08:53:56 am »
I think of the non top six, Palace and Leicester are two of the more dangerous sides to play at home because they are good on the counter. Bournemouth next at home and they can be dangerous too. I think an away game next might not be a bad thing either.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #4117 on: February 1, 2019, 09:12:16 am »
I think of the non top six, Palace and Leicester are two of the more dangerous sides to play at home because they are good on the counter. Bournemouth next at home and they can be dangerous too. I think an away game next might not be a bad thing either.

Agree with this...was saying on the results comparison thread that of the 5 games we've had in the "2nd half" of the season we've had City away, Arsenal, Palace, Leicester which are 4 pretty tricky games!

Add to that we've had to play two teams with fast counter attackers whilst having issues at right back...

Been harder than it seems but in that block of 5 we've won 3 lost one drew one. 10/15 is not that bad.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #4118 on: February 1, 2019, 09:16:16 am »
Fully expect Arsenal to roll over and have their belly's tickled this weekend :-(.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4119 on: February 1, 2019, 09:16:58 am »
Mate, I treated myself to a fat one before the match and I could still feel myself being tense as fuck lol. Palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy and all that shit.

Vomit on your sweater already?