Author Topic: Spyin' Kop Man City - returning the favour...  (Read 8799 times)

Offline andythecatuk

• "I shall do one thing in this life - one thing for certain - that is, love you, and long for you, and keep wanting you till I die"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • "When you win nothing hurts"
Spyin' Kop Man City - returning the favour...
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:59:43 pm »
I have been putting together the Spyin' Kop article for the forthcoming Man City league game and one of the moderators on the Blue Moon forum has asked that I post their questions on RAWK as well, so please find them below and if you could help out by responding then that would be great.

1. Who are Liverpool’s key players?

2. Were you happy with the business conducted during the transfer window?

3. What are your expectations for this season?

4. Are you happy with the manager?

5. Are there any rising starts in the squad that we might not have heard of?

6. If you could have any City player in your team who would you choose?

7. What is your perception of City as a club?

8. Likely Liverpool starting XI for the game, and score prediction?

"You've got to win in sports - that's talent - but you've also got to learn how to remind everybody how you did win, and how often. That comes with experience."

Offline andythecatuk

• "I shall do one thing in this life - one thing for certain - that is, love you, and long for you, and keep wanting you till I die"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
Re: Spyin' Kop Man City - returning the favour...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:01:12 pm »
1.   Who are Liverpool’s key players?
Pepe Reina – for me he’s the best goalkeeper in the PL – (closely followed by pretty much every opposition keeper we’ve come up against this year, including Joe Hart!) His performances have been tremendous, keeping us in many matches, and he has been a committed leader on the pitch too, he clearly understands how much the club means to the fans.
Lucas – has been a key player this season and last, and in my opinion we are really missing him at the moment. He took a lot of grief in his early days at the club and was most unfairly made a scapegoat by a large number of fans for poor team performances.
Steven Gerrard -  A fit Gerrard will be like (forgive the cliché) ‘a new signing’ when he returns for the second half of the season, a born leader who will hopefully inject a little more attack to our game, and turn results like last night’s draw into wins.
Luis Suarez – a top, top class player who is in my opinion is taking a lot of very unfair stick right now and much of that I feel is because he is such a talented player. To read comments like “I don’t care if he’s actually guilty or not, I’m just glad he’s banned so he won’t play against us” makes me very sad for our society. He’s no angel admittedly, but I do feel the British press have been quick to vilify him post World Cup and the FA to make a scapegoat out of another LFC player –remember Mascherano being the first of many who would be banned for daring to question a referee’s decisions? That RESPECT campaign has worked out well hasn’t it? I’ve lost count of the number of players I see tell referees to “f*ck off” each and every week in the PL.

On the whole, yes, and most definitely a resounding yes when compared to last summer – (two words, Paul Konchesky). Enrique and Bellamy have been great signings, representing excellent value for money, as well as what they have given on the pitch too and added to the team.  Charlie Adam has surprised me to be honest – he has had some very good games but for my money gets a little lost sometimes. Most recently his set pieces (you know, the ones worth £10m alone, according to Mr. Ferguson) have been a little lacklustre, to say the least.
Downing – I was really excited by when he signed – (Liverpool have been crying out for decent attacking wingers for the last few years) but for me he has yet to recapture the sort of form showed at Villa last couple of years, I really hope he has a great LFC career though. Henderson and Coates I am confident will really flourish given time. I have to be honest at this point and say I was gutted to lose out on Phil Jones in the summer though – I think he is going to be a superb player.

I think we have a great chance of our first trophy for a few years if we can overcome City – and I am hoping that despite your squad depth, it is likely that your priorities will lie with the league/FA cup games either side of our two legs and we might just have the edge.
Premier League – I would love to say fourth but realistically need to up our conversion rate in the New Year in order for this to be a reality, otherwise it’ll be 5th /6th .
FA Cup – who knows, helps our cause somewhat that one half of Manchester won’t be in the fourth round ;)

Yes – if you look at where we are as a club currently (in terms of league position since he returned), the quality of the squad, the amount of dead wood that has been cleared from the wage bill and most importantly the feel good factor around the whole club and squad, Kenny has been a massive part of that. He has the club in his blood and desperately wants want the fans want – success for LFC. The only frustration I do find with him, and highlighted perfectly last night, is that a little like Rafa, sometimes ‘Plan B’ comes a little too late.

5. Are there any rising stars in the squad that we might not have heard of?
Plenty – the Academy at LFC has had a massive overhaul in the last few years and there are a number of exciting international prospects coming through the ranks. A couple that have real promise for me are Raheem Sterling (an exciting winger) and Andre Wisdom (a powerful CB).

Adam Johnson, David Silva or Sergio Aguero – the latter two were linked with transfers to LFC during the Benitez era a number of times, and it is clear from their performances this season that they have both adapted to the PL very well.  Adam Johnson in my humble opinion should play more football than he currently does for his talent – would love to see him at Liverpool.

I don’t feel the same animosity towards City as I did to Chelsea when they bought the league first time around, and I think the main reason for this is that the City fans I know seem to be more humble about their current successes – enjoying the football, but without the arrogance that came with Chelsea.  The fact I’m about as much of a fan of your neighbours as you are probably plays a part in my opinion too!

Reina
Johnson-Skrtel-Agger-Enrique
Gerrard-Adam
Kuyt                 Downing
Bellamy
      Suarez

This is the line up I would like to see but not necessarily the one Kenny will put out.
 Score prediction: 1-1.
"You've got to win in sports - that's talent - but you've also got to learn how to remind everybody how you did win, and how often. That comes with experience."

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:04:58 pm »
I'll tell you now this thread will have more bitterness in it than any opposition Spyin' Kop.

Offline andythecatuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »
I'll tell you now this thread will have more bitterness in it than any opposition Spyin' Kop.

Hope not, but if so, I will expect not to see the usual replies in our Spyin' Kop of "what a dick he is for saying that", etc, etc.
The whole point of these articles is sharing intelligent opinions as far as I'm concerned and I hope we don't let ourselves down in that respect.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 09:08:59 pm »
A: Suarez, without doubt. And on current form Agger and Skrtel, are the best center back pairing in the league. Did I just forget to mention how fucking critical Lucas is to us?

A: Mixed really. Happy that we conducted so swiftly in the market but some of the players are yet to show their best of forms. Although I'd like to give them time to mature into their roles. Another couple of transfer windows would be required to completely transform this squad and for all the players to gel and play well.

A: Top four.

A: Couldn't be happier. If there was one man to take the job at Liverpool after Hodgson, and pull the club back up together in terms of morale, it could only have been Dalglish.

A: Sebastian Coates, although Man City seemed interested in him earlier. Apart from that Raheem Sterling and Suso excite me the most.

A: David Silva and Edin Dzeko.

A: Don't mind them. At times when money dominates football throughout, it is hypocritical to point to only City as a super-rich, super-spoilt club.

A: Front six of Adam Henderson Spearing Bellamy Kuyt Suarez and a scored draw please.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:24:56 pm by Gerrvindh »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 09:14:10 pm »
Suarez, Lucas, Reina, Agger, Gerrard

Personally I was delighted. We saw some areas that needed to be addressed. Midfield was strengthened with Adam, and for the money we paid I think he is doing well. Our left back was nonexistent and I think buying Enrique was a fantastic piece of business. Signing of the season for me. Downing has of yet failed to live up to the billing, and I think we overpaid. Still think we have some areas we need addressing. We need cover for Lucas and we need a finisher.

Challenging for 4th. With so many new people integrating into the team and Kenny just recently back at the helm, we still have a way to go though. But we are playing some decent football these days. We need to start beating the wigans/fulhams/norwichs of the league though. Costing us vital points. So top 4 challenge, which still seems on, but we aren't making it easy for ourselves.

After Roy who wouldn't be happy. I am ecstatic Kenny is back. I watched when he left the first time and was shattered. I was very young at the time but I still remember it. Having him back has been a complete breath of fresh air. Someone who understands the club top to bottom, someone who gets the supporters and the club. Someone who will stand up for what he believes in as shown with the Suarez debacle. Not to mention we have played some decent football, going slowly but surely back to the pass and move football we all love and miss.

Sterling just signed a new contract so look for him in a couple of year. Shelvey looks like he has a bit of Steven Gerrard to him. Robinson and Flanno are ones to watch for future as well. All in all our youth seem to be coming through nicely, thanks to Rafa.

It's a toss up for me, Aguero is exactly what we lack at liverpool right now, someone in front of goal who sticks the ball in the net. But Silva would be another great shout.

Personally I don't mind City, better than their counterparts. They have bought their way to success but who cares, so did Chelsea and to an extent so did United. They are using the current setup to their advantage and it's the way football is today. That have some quality players and all in all their squad is coming together at the right time.

Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, Adam, Shelvy, Henderson, Bellamy, Maxi , Suarez. If we play like we did against you the previous game 2-1 to us. Without Lucas though I would say 1-1
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:23:58 pm by Chakan »

Offline MiddleMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 09:15:26 pm »

Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Enrique, Reina. If these have a good game, we'll have a good chance at a win. in attack, i would say bellamy has looked the only consistently dangerous one. it's hard to know whether gerrard or suarez will be available.

yes, given that we couldn't buy CL prospects, think we did very well to find alternatives to fill our needs (Coates is a good example.) we've made a platform to build on. a bit like city did a few years ago in selling their "project." think the difference is the fact that we can't throw money at every position. we'll buy out of necessity and each purchase will be an upgrade on the previous.

top four. with recent happenings it will be harder than ever but its a fight between four for 3rd and 4th CL spots. your lot will walk the league.

very happy. he knows how to lead the club through adversity and will help us do it again. the most you can say about your manager is that you trust him. i don't think there are many fans that don't trust Dalglish.

Jonjo Shelvey. in fact, think if he starts he could be a key player. at 19 he's that good.

david silva, no doubt. need i explain?

money can buy happiness.

if all are healthy and accounted for..

Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
          Gerrard    Adam
              Henderson
Downing    Suarez  Bellamy

that starting team can beat anyone. we just haven't been putting chances into goals. the defense is still best in the league and even though your lot is best attacking in the league i think we can hold you. should be interesting. here's to a 1-0 Liverpool win!

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 09:16:46 pm »

I think we have developed away from Rafa's era where there were a few that were commonly referred to as the 'spine' (Torres, Gerrard, Alonso, Masch, Carra and Reina) to a squad of players who can come in a all do a good job. However quality is always missed and for me players like Lucas, Suarez, Reina and Agger would always be missed, Gerrard also being an obvious name.

I was encouraged with the business conducted, we were clearly targeting positions in the squad where we were weak, that has given us over all a better balance amongst the squad, the age of the squad has also been reduced providing a better basis for longevity. I'm please so far with the majority of our signings.

A top 4 finish is the aim, and for me our football reflects a top 4 position allbeit with the exception of our finishing.

Absolutely, Kenny has brought about a togetherness a million miles away from where we were under Roy and our previous owners.

Sure you've probably come across the lad, Raheem Sterling, he is a player who is easy on the eye and if he can take his game into the first team will quickly become a house hold name.

Thats an interesting one as you're blessed with a lot of quality footballers, however i'd take a player who would improve an area where we are weak - our finishing, anyone of Dzeko or Aguero, Balotelli would also be an option but his off field antics  are far too much hassle! If it were purely on footballing ability though it would always be David Silva.

I've never had any issues with City, Maine Road always had a similar feel to Anfield, the heart of a community close to the local homes. Naturally with your new found wealth there are a new breed of fan, but i prefer to ignore those.

Starting XI - i've no idea, Kenny mixes things up and with Suarez in the balance and Gerrard returning it could be anything! I'd put you as favourites and rightly so (your sitting top of the league!) Although we do tend to rise to the challenge against the better teams and Kenny is thirsty for cup success this year, whatever happens it will be a real competitive game!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:20:39 pm by Red Genius »
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »
Pepe Reina, Daniel Agger, Lucas Leiva, Luis Suarez.
Unfortunately Lucas is out for the season, but when those four players are fit and firing I am confident that Liverpool will get a result.

For the most part yes;
We invested well in promising youth with Henderson and Coates and made some good inexpensive additions with Enrique, Bellamy, and Adam.
The only question mark for me is over Downing, who hasn't, as yet, justified his price tag or inclusion in the side.

I believed that we would be about where we are, challenging to get back into the CL spots.
I felt ultimately we would fall just short and end up fifth, but I am still hopeful we will sneak into the top four.

Yes. And in case you are wondering why;

We have a revitalised acadamy that is producing quality footballers for the first time in a long time, we have a lot to thank Rafa Benitez for the overhaul and the quality coaching staff that has been put in place.
We also have the perfect manager in Kenny (who worked with the academy before becoming returning to the top job) to introduce them into the side when they are ready and give them the confidence to perform.

David Silva.

Manchester City have never really bothered me, although obviously I'm not keen on the city that you hail from.
With the recent success and financial clout you remind me of a less offensive, less plastic version of Chelsea in 2003.

Hoping that Liverpool can get a win but I am concerned with a Lucas-less midfield against players of Manchester City's quality.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline Fauxy

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh na na, whats my name? Rihanna. Get in the van.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 09:22:06 pm »

Lucas, Suarez, Gerrard and Reina are the main one's, lucky for you two of them are injured!

Not entirely. Downing has been a really poor piece of business, just looks completely average. We didnt really buy a striker that can lead the line, instead we chose to keep faith that Carroll will come good. Still waiting on that :(. Other than that though, Enrique was my miles our best signing in a long time, great player. Adam has been very good for us and despite the hefty price we paid for Henderson, he has been quality and is improving in every game.

Depends entirely on investment in January I think. We just seem to be missing that one goalscorer. If we buy a goalscorer I think we can make fourth. If not, probably fifth or sixth :(

Yes. The fast paced pass and move style he has us playing is great. We dominate games more often than not, its just a shame our players cant finish! My main critisism of Kenny is probably that he always leaves his subs a bit late.

Yes, quite a few. The main three are Suso, Wisdom and Sterling (Although you might have heard of Sterling) Suso is the pick of the bunch though.. very very talented.

Ahhh the choices.. :P I would say David Silva because he is quality but we need a finisher up top so probably Aguero. Love Ballotelli though

It is annoying how you have unlimited spending power but at the end of the day that's what football has come to so no point complaining!

Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Henderson, Adam, Kuyt, Bellamy, Maxi, Suarez. With our defence in great form this season, I can see us making it difficult for you but at the same time we will most likely struggle for goals so Im gonna go for a 1-1

Follow me on twitter!

http://twitter.com/Benfauxy

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 09:23:23 pm »
1Who are Liverpool’s key players?

Lucas, who's missing, Suarez who will be missing.

Aside from those two, I'd say Agger and possibly Adam.

I wasn't overly pleased. I think we made such a big effort to buy british which meant we were paying more money for less quality. Adam has turned me round, Henderson almost has but poor Stewart Downing is having a tough time finding his feet.

I think we've signed one of the best left backs in the league in Enrique...better the Clichy...no bias...honest!

My expectations at the begining of the season were for us to get 5. Obviously I hoped we'd do better buut I just coulldnt see how we were better than one of Utd/city/chelsea/spurs....even Arsenal.

Now I think 4th is a real possability. We just need to go on a decent run and add some consistency and results to go with some of our performances.

Love him.

Not really in the squad but some of the kids starting to appear in the reserves could be special. Full backs robinson and flanagan seem to be the only real 'kids' on the fringes of the 1st team squad, althouugh, they haven't featured much this season, they were more than capable cover, last.

David Silva. Pure genuis. I get annoyed with envy watching him effortlessly ripping teams apart. His ability and attutude are class. I could go on and on. Superlatives don't do the lad justice.

Genuinely don't mind City. Yes, you're ritch as fuck but I don't think that defines you..well..not for me any way. You've had a pretty hectic recent past and even with dropping down the leagues, a lot of fans stuck it out. The wealth and impending inevitable success are probably deserved for a generation of fans who"ve seen their club in the shadows of you c*nt neighbours.

Christ.

Reina,

Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique

Spearing, Adam, Henderson,

Dirk, Carroll, Downing

(Maybe bellamy will start instead of Carroll and god knows if Gerrard will be around for it)

Score? A cagey 1-1 or 3 or 4-1 to city. We're that inconsistent its impossible to tell.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 09:24:19 pm »
I have been putting together the Spyin' Kop article for the forthcoming Man City league game and one of the moderators on the Blue Moon forum has asked that I post their questions on RAWK as well, so please find them below and if you could help out by responding then that would be great.

Suarez, Lucas, Gerrard... None of whom will be available. The back 5 are as good as any in the league.

50-50. Delighted with Enrique and Bellamy. Jury is out on the rest. Sad to see Meireles go, he was a bit of an odd player in many ways, but offered so much in terms of late runs into the box.

Ideally top 4, realistically we are the 6th best side in the country at the moment.

Very. Not sure how long he'll be around for though...

Quite a few, especially Raheem Sterling. Hopefully he's the next in the line of Fowler, McManaman, Owen, Gerrard and not the next Richie Partridge!

Silva obviously. Wouldn't say no to Dzeko though... In fact fuck it, wouldn't say no to any of your side...

Always liked them. Similar to Leeds in that they spent too long away from the top flight. Some doubts as to their adherence to financial fair play, but that's one for the accountants.

Reina
Henderson Spearing Adam
Bellamy Carroll Maxi

1-0 City.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 09:26:26 pm »

Generally speaking we have a few - Pepe, Gerrard, Lucas, Suarez, etc, but for this game specifically then I would say Suarez of course, but how he is going to be affected by all the stuff going on at the moment remains to be seen.  Skrtel and Agger now have a good partnership in defense and Pepe in goal. 

Not bad really.  After the last owners behaviour then it was good to see our new ones willing to invest when the need arose.

Initially I was hopeful of top 4, but now am not sure.  I think we need to be more clinical in front of goal and still need to strengthen in that area.  It would be good if we could win a trophy though, I would love to see Kenny get that reward.

100% absolutely.  Love the man and don't think we could have anyone better.

There are a couple of youngsters in the academy who may do well in the future - Sterling especially is making a bit of a name for himself.

Mmmm, difficult as you have so many awful players in the squad :).  Well, I wouldnt mind David Silva or Aquerro, but you can keep Balotelli.   I wouldnt like to have him and Bellamy in the same dressing room all the time!

Better than the red half of Manchester. 

I am rubbish at making up teamsheets, but something like = PEPE, JOHNSON, SKRTEL, AGGER, JOSE ENRIQUE, KUYT, GERRARD(if fit), ADAM, MAXI, BELLAMY, SUAREZ.

Prediction?  1-0 to us of course
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 09:26:46 pm »

Gerrard, Lucas & Suarez unfortunately two of the three have injury concerns

Yes the change in the quality of our play is noticeable, it's just not reflected in goals scored. The one bit I was unhappy with was selling Meireles. It left us too reliant on Gerrard.

Expect European football of some sort, hoping for top 4 and a trophy in one of the cups

Extremely happy

No. Most of them are still too young (17/18) and we won't see this season. Jonjo Shelvey, Jordan Henderson, Coates & Kelly I'd expect most are familiar with

Silva, brilliant player

Playing great football, good to watch and still aren't at full potential. They've been smarter then Chelsea in that they bought young. You've got to be worried about financial fair play though. I can't see how you can fit into those rules.

Reina
            Gerrard Adam
    Downing  Maxi  Bellamy
               Suarez

Man City 1-1 Liverpool

[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:39:03 pm by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 09:27:16 pm »
Won't Suarez miss the game or am I missing something lads?
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 09:30:02 pm »
Won't Suarez miss the game or am I missing something lads?

If the FA documents are only released in mid Jan than no.

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 09:32:05 pm »
(Can you pass on my thanks to them for the classy way they observed the minutes silence in memory of the 96 at the home game? - They were brilliant. Cheers).
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 09:36:49 pm »

We have a solid back bone but it's getting them on the pitch; Reina, Agger, Lucas, Gerrard & Suarez. However Johnson and Enrique have been brilliant so far this season. We are fortunate to have such a good defense considering we can't score to save our lives!

It's easy to say now that we have over spent on some players, but that has been the case for over fifteen years now. Enrique has been phenomenal, Coates looks promising, Adam is a good player and Henderson has the potential to develop like Lucas and more.
However certain players need to step it up, especially Downing and Carroll.

I must admit, and it doesn't seem to be discussed in the media, majority of Mancini's signings have been successful, whether you have over spent or not. Hopefully we can be as fortunate.

I was hoping for top four but at the moment we aren't good enough, which is painful to say. However I think this season is a starting point for Kenny, get 60-70 points and then hopefully keep improving every season. With FFPR soon we can't 'splash the cash' even if we did have your wealth.

Yes, I'm only 25 so can't really remember Kenny's first reign. We have a manager who wants the best for the club and the city. Sometimes I disagree with decisions but that's not saying I'm right or wrong, which most of the time Kenny proves me wrong :)

I think some of the youngsters you will probably know; Kelly, Robinson,Flanaghan, Sterling, Suso and Morgan. However probably the best one who has snook under the radar is Wisdom. Whether he is given an opportunity or not I don't know, but he will play at least at Premiership level. He played a couple of pre-season games.

Obviously plenty of people will say Silva or Aguerro. However I think Dzeko or even dare mention the big fella at Spurs Adebayor would be ideal for us.

One player who has been unsung and isn't respected by many opposition fans is Milner, has been brilliant this season.

I don't mind a club who is having a go at the big time. It's not like you haven't had your battles. What I resented over Chelsea was they spent fortunes on Zola, Desailly, Vialli etc but couldn't win a title and failed. However they were given another chance when the Russian came. They also lack class in most things they do.

Good luck to City, except when your interests conflict with ours :)

Reina.
Johnson.  Skrtel. Agger. Enrique.
           Spearing.  Adam.
                 Henderson.
     Maxi.                    Downing.
                   Suarez.

Doni
Carragher
Kelly
Gerrard
Kuyt
Bellamy
Carroll

Score for the match, I'd say my heart thinks 2-1 us but my head says 2-1 City. Think I best say it could also be a draw and I've covered all bases there!

Offline Nut/ella

• do!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 09:38:08 pm »
Is the 4th question a trick Q?

Offline fosspowered

• Legacy Fan
  • More of an IDK than ITK.
    • FOSSPowered
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 09:38:22 pm »

Pepe Reina - Incredible peformer and an excellent professional. Would not swap him for anyone else.
Lucas Leiva  - Was incredible before his injury setback. Utterly dejected to lose him for rest of the season.
Luis Suarez - With no doubt, the club's most talented player and can change a game with a moment of sheer brilliance. Even if he has a bad game, he can still give the opposition plenty of problems and create chances out of nothing.
Steven Gerrard - Pity about his injury, a fit Steven Gerrard would be a massive, massive boost.

Reasonably happy with the transfer business this summer even though not over the moon.  We signed Enrique who has proven to as good as any Left Back in the Premiership and has represented an excellent value for money.  Bellamy has been very good, and Coates has impressed whenever he has come on. Henderson has done reasonably well, he is a young lad settling in and can only get better. Charlie Adam had a mixed bag, while he has performed really well, there have been some poor performances in between. Downing has been dissapointing really.

Top 4 for obvious reasons. Getting back into the Champions League for the club is absolutely vital. A Cup on the way would be great as well.

It's a privilege to have King Kenny managing the club.

Sterling, Suso, Adam Morgan to name a few. Sterling in particular the most eye catching.

David Silva.

New Chelsea. Don't hate City like I do Chelsea though, since neither a c*nt like Mourinho is managing them nor do the fans seem pricks as Chelsea fans did.
While wouldn't slag your club for spending the millions of dollars, after all it's your opportunity to become a top club, but in all honesty the money does seem obscene. The deals with Etihad, etc. look dodgy as fuck as well, but who am I to judge?

Reina
             Johnson             Skrtel                           Agger              Enrique
                                                    Spearing
                                            Adam          Henderson
                        Downing                                             Bellamy
                                                      Suarez

Score: 0-0
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:50:16 pm by fosspowered »

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 09:39:14 pm »
Is the 4th question a trick Q?

Nope, an easy one.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Online RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 09:39:54 pm »

Lucas, which is why losing him was such a big blow. It's also a pity because he seemed to be finally getting some recognition outside of Liverpool, after being (undeservedly) something of a running joke with many.

Pepe Reina. He's World Class, and I think it definitely gives our defence confidence knowing they have him behind them.

And of course there's Suarez. He has the ability to single-handedly turn games on their head.

On the whole, yes.
Enrique's been a fantastic signing. Settled in straight away, and has been outstanding - one of the best full backs in the league.

The most disappointing signing is Downing. I don't think he's been as bad as some have made out, but  he's hasn't done enough so far to justify his transfer fee.

To compete for a CL place.
We're lagging behind other teams a little at the moment, but that's more down to failing to take our chances than playing poorly overall.
We've currently scored less than Blackburn or Bolton. If we can start converting opportunities into goals more regularly, we've definitely got a good chance of a Top 4 finish.

Absolutely.

I imagine you're aware of players such as Shelvey and Coates, so there probably aren't any that you'll encounter this season.
We do have some talents coming through in the Academy though. In a few years time, you may become familiar with names such as Sterling and Suso.

Would have to be Silva.

I suppose you could say that you're buying your way to success, but then you wouldn't be the first team, and you won't be the last.
Besides, if the race for the title is between City and United, I'm going to be supporting City every time.

Reina
 Henderson Adam Shelvey(if no Gerrard)
Maxi Carroll (if no Suarez) Downing

Likely to be a close game whatever - I'm going to sit on the fence and predict a draw.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:42:45 pm by RJH »

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 09:44:40 pm »

I imagine Suarez would be the player most oppostion fans would pick as key, and he certainly is very important to the way we play, however I think our star performers so far this season been our defenders - particular the partnership between Skrtel and Agger. Lucas was having an excellent season until his unfortunate cruciate injury and will be a massive miss for teh rest of the season. Pepe Reina is always vitally important to the team - not only for his saves but for the way he sweeps up behind the defence and also for his quick and accurate distribution getting counter-attacks going.

Mostly, yes. Enrique is proving to be an absolute bargain as is the free transfer of Bellamy. Charlie Adam took a little while to adapt but has been improving game by game (until Wigan where he was somewhat below par) - he looks less comfortable without the solid presence of Lucas beside him. I'm a fan of Henderson though others may not agree - I think he has bags of talent and will be a quality player, but is still young and needs to be given a chance to develop. Downing has perhaps been a bit of a dissapointment - he's shown quality in flashes but not consistently and has 0 goals or assists for the season so far (this is perhaps a bit unlucky as he has hit the woodwork twice and also created good chances for others that have not been put away). Coates is one for the future perhaps, but has looked good on the few occasions when he has played.

Hard to say really. Obviously would love to get into the top four, but it looks like it's going to be a real scrap between at least 4 teams for perhaps two spots. A lot will depend on the Suarez situation and if/ who we buy in January. Also if we can start putting away the numerous chances we create in every match then it would certainly be easier. We don't score enough goals and as finishing has really let us down so far this season, and missing 4 penalties certainly hasn't helped in that respect.

Absolutely. You might hear the odd moan and grumble about occasional team selections or substitutions but I beleive the overwhelming majority of fans are firmly behind Kenny. He's a living legend after all. He's revitalised the club since coming in. There's still plenty of work to be done, but you only have to remember where we were a year ago to realise the fantastic job that Kenny's already done.

Not really in the main squad - think you'll have heard of all of those as the likes of Kelly, Flannagan and Robinson have actually played a fair few matches (especially Kelly) - mainly due to injuries at the back end of last season. The likes of Sterling, Suso, Coady and Morgan are potential stars of the future but are some way off first team duties yet.

David Silva. Without a doubt. Absolutely class player. In fact it's a little heartbreaking watching him play for City knowing that Rafa tracked him for so long but was prevented from going for him due to the problems under the previous owners.

Historically I've never really had a problem with City as a club. I imagine like most clubs City has its share of sound fans as well as its share of idiots. I do feel though that success or percieved success can sometimes breed arrogance - this is the case for all clubs - and that perhaps there is a these days a certain kind of City fan who perhaps don't remember the old days in the lower leagues and who can perhaps reflect that arrogance on occasion. It's not an admirable trait and if you want to see an example of what it looks like on a large scale you just need to take a short trip over to Salford.

Hard to predict this early as the game comes at the end of a packed schedule over Xmas and New Year. I'm guessing that we'll try and play our strongest team and if we need to rest players we'll do it against Newcastle at home rather than City away. Assuming no injuries I'd expect Reina in goal obviously, with a back 4 of Johnson, Skrtel, Agger and Enrique. Adam will play in midfield and Suarez up top. Other than that it's hard to say. Spearing may come into the middle alongside Adam as against Wigan we looked very open with Adam and Henderson in there. So we'll possibly go with all three in the centre and maybe Bellamy wide on one side and one of Downing/ Maxi/ Kuyt on the other.
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 09:44:44 pm »

The whole of the defence is key in my opinion. Agger is a vital cog in that though and I feel a lot more confident with him in the team. I imagine Gerrard will be fit by the time this fixture comes so as ever, he's our main man. Bellamy has been our best threat going forward and his link up play with Suarez has been brilliant. If I had to pick players not to miss this, I'd say Reina, Agger, Gerrard, Bellamy and of course, Suarez. Lucas is very important to us too.

I've made my reservations on RAWK known about our British transfers and that only our foreigners have been stepping up to the plate this season (as well as Bellamy). Henderson I am very happy with and I think he has all the makings to be a very big player for us and his performances have been improving recently since he's been shifted into his more natural position, Enrique has been the best player we've signed this summer and has filled a place in the team we've been very weak in for years. I've not been particularly impressed by Downing but again, he is an improvement on a side we've needed a left winger for years and years (except for the year Riera was in who is a better player than Downing in my opinion), Adam is a squad player at best in my opinion. I said at the time but getting rid of Meireles and Aquilani would be a big mistake and that's proven so. The important thing is we have the foundations in place in our squad that we've not had for a long time as evidenced by the better strength on our bench, and now I feel we really need to add some top quality international players to compete.

I expect us to get in the top 4 as that was the aim at the beginning of the season. We're off the mark a bit at the moment but we still have a long way to go and hopefully some more additions. It's been well documented that we've hit the woodwork about 50 times so far and had we scored only 3 or 4 more goals this season, we'd be a few places higher.

Absolutely, 100%. He's one of us and the most important thing is that he has the club's best interests at heart, and he knows how to get the team playing some attractive, solid football. We've been very consistent in our performances and we haven't been like this in recent seasons. He's a living legend.

Eh, your scouting network's not gonna be looking at this are they? Haha, we have some very good youth prospects who I have high expectations for but the majority are a couple of years off. The younger ones in our squad I'm sure you're familiar with.

Aguero. I've loved watching him play for years and our problem has been scoring goals, not creating them.

Better than the shithouses you share the city with. Never had a problem with City to be honest but you're getting some whopper fans latch on now like Chelsea did when Abramovich bought them. Hardly the club's fault. Some of the football you've played has been outstanding and I took great satisfaction in your win at OT.  As we're not direct rivals with each other in the league, I haven't been that arsed and root for you in the games which will help us out. It'll probably change in a few years.

If everyone is available I'd go with the same back 5 we've played recently, Spearing, Henderson, Maxi, Gerrard, Bellamy, Suarez. I'd go for another 1-1.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:49:54 pm by Matt8pie »
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 09:47:49 pm »
Suarez and Lucas.  Suarez needs no explanation.  He produces the unpredictable every week.  Lucas has grown into a big player for us and has come a long way since the days when he used to be booed by his own supporters.

Yes.  The squad was improved giving us a stronger bench and some real talent for the future.  Enrique and Bellamy were briliant signings and hopefully Carroll and Henderson will go on to have great careers with us.  Still feel we need another outstanding attacking player but we couldn't expect to completely overhaul the squad that Roy left in one window.

I expect us to challenge for a top four place but that all depends on if we can start beating the smaller teams and scoring a lot more than we are doing right now.

Yes.  Kenny was the only man I wanted when Rafa left and with further backing and support from the board, I truly believe he will have us contending for major honours.  They say no person is bigger than the club but Kenny Dalglish is Liverpool.

Martin Kelly and Jonjo Shelvey will almost certainly have successful careers.  Both of them play with so much confidence and have shown great ability in their respective positions.  Young Jack Robinson and Jon Flanagan never put a foot wrong when called upon last season either.

David Silva.  A class player who would help us create and score a lot more.

Never really minded City as a club but they seem to be the new Chelsea in the way they splash the cash with no real strategy.  This season will prove where they are headed.  I questioned whether they had the mentality to sustain a title challenge or if so many players can keep happy when not playing but it seems to be working so far this season.

Would expect the same back five that has played so well recently and Gerrard should be back by then too.  Who knows what will be happening with Suarez but I'd expect something like...

XXX Suarez XXX
Adam Gerrard XXX
Enrique Agger Skrtel Johnson
Reina

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 09:57:15 pm »

Ask us before the away tie in the last few seasons and you'd get very different answers. Right now, they're Reina, Agger, Enrique, Lucas and Suarez. We have missed Gerrard but in the last calendar year coped pretty well. Johnson is a fine full back but Kelly is a very able replacement. Skrtel has come on leaps and bounds since Kenny's return but his best performances are with Agger. As for our midfield and attack, without Lucas and Suarez we're pretty weak.

At the time, yes. I was unsure about letting Aquilani and Meireles go in the same window, as well as Kenny's pursuit of Adam, Downing and Henderson. They may have had stinkers at Wigan but they've all improved to varying degrees since the summer. I would've liked another two players but we did a hell of a lot of squad reshaping so it was unlikely to happen. Downing has been the most disappointing of our summer signings but he's only 6 months into his Liverpool career and has shown flashes that gives me the belief he can turn it around.

The treble. Okay, maybe not but honestly at least one Wembley appearance, hopefully two, and qualification for the Champions League. The latter looks difficult at this stage but Arsenal are one van Persie injury away from disaster and Chelsea don't look like a club in harmony. And fuck knows what's going on with Spurs, I've been waiting for their collapse for ages.

Of course. He has a completely different method to Rafa, so there are quite a few things we miss (like the 60th minute substitute, central midfields made of steel, that sort of thing) but Kenny has shown that tactically he's no slouch. He's got an eye for a player and thankfully we have the stability to let him see that vision through.

I think the youngest players in the first team squad have already had more than enough exposure to be known. The likes of Kelly, Flanagan and Robinson are more than competent already and will hopefully be around for years to come. In the youth/reserves, the likes of Raheem Sterling, Conor Coady and Suso are the most promising, though the latter needs a lot more time to develop as his game is based on possession so pure speed or strength won't just get him by. Adam Morgan is a promising striker but who knows if he'll be able to make the step up. He's still pretty young though so no pressure.

Aguero. You c*nts. Actually, it's not really your fault. We were sniffing about him before he moved to Atletico but our chairman at the time had tight restrictions on what we could spend on youth players (which also saw us miss out on Ramsey).

Depends on who's asking, really. Used to like them pre-Thaksin, not just because of the fact you're not the other Manchester team or the Liverpool connections over the years (Keegan, Fowler, McManaman, Anelka, etc) but simply because you were a proper club with history and a decent style.
Now, I think the spending is pretty ridiculous and makes a mockery of the idea of competition. It's not snobbery, either. I'd hate it if it happened to our club. I don't even play Football Manager like that. I guess the way I see City now is that very few players are 'City' players. Like Joe Hart or Micah Richards...perhaps Kompany.
Maybe if they hang about for a few years and you stop spending so much or constantly changing your squad I'll feel differently but all the new players plus all the Johnny Come Latelys just makes it seem like it's not a football club and more like a fad.
I think the whole Blue Moon thing is cringeworthy, as is the 'Poznan' which your fans didn't even seem to like at first. I understand that every team will have idiots following them but the chanting the other day about Arsenal being your feeder club was utterly ridiculous.

I have no idea. I guess the back five would be Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger and Enrique, Suarez will play and likely Adam but apart from that, even with injuries, we don't have a 'first' XI. Maybe Gerrard will be back, maybe miracle of miracles we'll have signed a player to go straight into the first team or maybe everyone will have a mare on New Year's Day and we have to put out the reserves.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 10:02:44 pm »

Pepe Reina, Daniel Agger, Lucas and Suarez

No, to be honest, I think we overspent big time on a lot of players and think we as a club could of aimed higher than, for instance, Stewart Downing, I feel the signings we made would be of a Martin O'Neill, Aston Villa - 2008, whereby they do a reasonable job, all are pretty consistent but it ends at that, we didn't really get a lot of class for the money we spent, and in my opinion the majority of players can, and will, take us only to a certain place and as a result of this, we'll probably have to spend more in January and summer 2012 to sign players who are simply good enough to take us into the Champions League and beyond, I do not feel the likes of Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing are players who are good enough to do this. Our best signing without a shadow of a doubt has been Enrique, who ironically was our cheapest acquisitions this window!

I don't think we will get top 4, in my opinion we're the 6th best team in the league right now, obviously what I want is for us to stay in the hunt for 4th for as long as possible and see where we are nearer to May, if we stay with the pack we might have a chance due to us playing Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea at Anfield after Christmas, but we drop to many points when we shouldn't so I fully expect us to finish 6th this season (If the league consisted purely of you lot, Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea & Spurs I'm sure we'd bloody win the thing, it seems we only seem to turn it on when we're in games like that!)

Yes and no, I understand that Kenny took up a very difficult position, and he done a brilliant job, we nearly actually got 5th, or even 4th if he had got the job a few weeks earlier? Might of been due to the pressure being off but still, to come and do that after where we were when he took over was a fantastic achievement nonetheless, this season I don't think we've improved a whole host, especially considering the money we've spent and the exceptions we all had in September, as stated above I'm disappointed in many of the signings, and decisions we've made (A quick example..  thinking it was a good idea to get rid of Meireles for Adam), other decisions such as signing Andy Carroll for a British record has really puzzled me and others I'm sure, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives somewhat, it feels like we've got our club back, and he's one of the reasons for this feeling.

Suso, Raheem Sterling, Andre Wisdom and Jack Dunn

David Silva, and he would of been ours if Rafa was backed with the money to get him when we wanted him!

As a club? I don't mind your club, I think you have gotten a lot of whoppers 'supporting' you recently with your last year and a bit of success (I suppose this happens with every club that has success), for instance I've popped on your forum a few times and its rare I see a member which wasn't signed up pre 2009, but its just a personal thing that and I don't see the point in fans who just jump shit constantly because of success, either have a good reason for supporting the club you support or support your local team! How fans get the same enjoyment or feelings when it comes to football compared to fans who are local/have good connections to their club I'll never know, I guess they don't, it happened with Chelsea, it'll no doubt happen with you lot (Its already happening), hey, as I said it happened with us, and it'll never ever fail to annoy me, ah well though - I'm also quite bitter at the fact you've pretty much gone to the top, and probably will win the league and many a trophy after this purely due to your owners and the insane amounts of money he's spending, especially wages, and the way ourselves, Arsenal and Utd have gone about it (Pretty much took us decades to get to where we are/were), and you've just overtook us, Arsenal and probably will overtake Utd too because of a big sugar daddy, and you haven't gotten to the top through hard work like said 3 teams, its hard to take it really is but its not your fault at all, and I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't of wanted the same to happen to us in 2007/2008 or whenever you got took over.

Reina - Back 4 of Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique - Centre midfield consisting of Spearing, Adam, Henderson - Downing and Bellamy on the wings - Carroll upfront on his own (How scared you must all be of our star number 9 dismantling your entire back 4)

No point turning up if I'm not positive is there? I'm going to say 1-1 at your ground and 1-0 at Anfield!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:13:06 pm by -Willo- »

Offline kjomall

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 10:03:25 pm »

I always look forward to Spyin' Kops and appreciate it when opposing fans are civil. I'm glad that our fans who have responded have provided useful and insightful answers and have acted as fine representatives for our club. The only thing that was left out was a question about the Suarez situation so we could defend him from the media spin.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.”
― Terence McKenna

Offline AnyGivenSunday

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 10:06:25 pm »
Excluding the ones that are injured, I'll impose a restriction on myself and just say three: Reina, Agger and Suarez.  The selection of Reina is a no brainer: I wouldn't swap him for anyone.  He's a 'keeper of the highest order and by all accounts is a key figure in the dressing room.  Unfortunately with Agger he's been in and out of the team over the last few years due to injury, however whenever he comes into the team there is a marked improvement in the composure of the defence, and enhances our ability to build attacks from the back as he's very comfortable on the ball.  Finally, Suarez.  As Gerrard said: "he's dynamite".

On the whole, yes.  We had a lot of deadwood at the club which I thought we'd struggle to shift due to them being on big contracts (the like of Jovanovic, Poulsen and Cole) yet we did that and brought in replacements that now allow me to look down the squad list and see that every player has a role to play.  I don't think there's anyone there that's stealing a living.  Perhaps the quality of the player we signed wasn't top drawer, but I think our transfer strategy over the summer has laid the foundations for us to build on with a player or two of genuine quality in the transfer windows to come, as opposed to massive overhauls. People obviously like to state how much Liverpool spent over the summer, but John Henry has done a few interviewes since taking over and the message comes across that they see transfer fees as an investment (the players signed for a fee are all of a fairly young age so will have resale value) and wages as an expense. Despite spending large transfer fees in the summer, our wage bill came down quite significantly.

At the start of the season I wanted to see clear signs of improvement and we've had that in my opinion.  I also wanted us to at least challenge for a top four position and I think we're well placed to do that. We've lacked a killer instinct in games but on the whole I think we've played well in almost every game.  If only the goals were a few inches bigger...

Absolutely, I'm 100% behind Kenny.  He embodies the club and it's a privilege to have him back in charge. It's easy to forget where this club was 12 months ago, but Kenny has played a major role in turning that around.  I can't help but smile whenever I see him on the tele.

Rafa instigated a big overhaul of the academy during his final years at the club and it appears to have worked a treat.  Pep Guardiola has been quoted speaking very highly of the LFC academy and said: “If they can manage those lads, then maybe 20 star players can arrive from that academy".  There's quite a few in the academy that look like exciting prospects (Sterling, Wisdom, Suso, Coady and Pelosi to name a few), but a young lad who is likely to play his way into the team over the course of this and next season is Jonjo Shelvey.  One thing is certain: Kenny won't be afraid to give youth a chance.

There's certainly a few I'd love to see in a red shirt, but if I can only choose one I'd go with Aguero.  I think the styles of play of Suarez and Aguero would compliment each other well, and them two together would just be insane.

This whole thing of clubs being like playthings for the mega rich individuals and countries of this world doesn't sit well with me, but I won't dwell on that.  Every fan is entitled to have their cake and eat it, and to be honest, if any club was to 'do a Chelsea' I'm glad it was your lot. I can only imagine how it must irritate your noisy neighbours as it doesn't bear thinking about if Sheikh Mansour had invested in Everton!

Kenny normally springs a surprise or two but I'll hazard a guess at:
Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Adam, Henderson, Spearing, Bellamy, Downing, Suarez

It'll be very tough, but we usually rise to the occasion of the big games so I'll go with a 1-1 draw.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 10:27:18 pm »

At the moment our key players would actually have to be the back 4, seeing as they're the ones keeping the clean sheets and at least giving us a chance to convert one of 634 chances in to a winning goal at some point. Suarez is obviously important for winding up everyone on earth and for the occasional goal aswell. Lucas WAS the most important player for us this season, and his importance to the way we play is now obvious to anyone with half a brain now he's missing.

Yes and no. Enrique is a very very good signing, solid and dependable, and will make the position his own over the next year or so. Adam is solid too, but I didn't think our entire midfield would be relying on him being great in every game to get us a result, neither did I think he'd play every game. Thought he'd be more of a squad player than definite first choice. Henderson will become a very good player and he's already showing signs of that, he's just very raw. I didn't really ever rate Downing, so wasn't too pleased about us splashing a shit load of money on someone I believe to be as average a player as you could find. He hasn't been great, but I fully expected exactly what I'm seeing. Andy Carroll is never going to make it here, in my opinion, and was a daft waste of money. I know some want to give him all the time in the world, but for me we don't have that time on our side, and he just isn't that good. Bellamy is great, and for free was a top signing.

Expectations? Don't know any more. Hopes? To get back in to the top four and back to competing for the best players. Some will be happy with just progressing and having a year where we're solid and getting back to where we want to be, so I suppose that's the expectation aswell, but I'll be disappointed if it's another season out of the champions league, especially when Chelsea and Arsenal have both looked pretty shit this season.

Yes, absolutely, it's Kenny, and that alone is enough to get anyone's backing. At the same time though I'm not the sort of fan who will just blindly follow and be happy if things obviously aren't progressing, so you'd be better off asking that question in about a year. We ARE better than we were last year, but that wasn't too hard to accomplish, seeing as Roy Hodgson's about as useful as a chocolate tampon.

You've probably heard of them all, which is to their credit. Sterling is the standout, but there are a lot of players in the youth set up (at all levels) who there are high hopes for. Coady, Adorjan, Dunn, Suso, Flanagan, Robinson, and quite a few new young ones which have been bought over the last 6 months.

David Silva, without a doubt. I'm sure others have said this, but had Rafa been backed properly by the two utter c*nts here before we would have had players like that at our club instead. Loads of people have always said he'd be too lightweight for the league, but that's just bollocks. There was never a doubt in my mind that he would be terrific over here as he's a player who is able to find space where nobody's looking, can find time on the ball when others are racing around, and just knows where to put the fucking ball. A Rolls Royce of a footballer.

Hahaha! You lot (I've been told) like to spy on me on rawk, so you already know!

Basically, banter is banter, fans are fans, and people hate everything about other clubs. If you don't hate any club that's currently standing in your way and want to do them down at every opportunity then you aren't a football fan. I hate every fucking club who isn't Liverpool FC and dislike 99% of players unless they play for Liverpool FC. Doesn't make me a c*nt, makes me a fan of my club.

As for what I think of Man City - not much. I'm happy to see you win the league over Man Utd, but that's basically just so they don't win it. Any league win you have in the short term will be a hollow victory, and I'm sure you won't care about that at all, and nor should you, but it will be seen as that because you've gone out and bought it. Once you've settled down and have stopped stockpiling players and are STILL winning titles it'll probably taste all the sweeter.

Pepe, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique; Gerrard, Adam, Henderson; Bellamy, Kuyt, Suarez.
2-1 to you lot, but we have been better away from home this year, so we might do better than that.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 10:40:40 pm »

Suarez, Reina, Agger, Lucas & Gerrard.

Mainly, like any club we get some right & some wrong. Show me a manager who reckons he doesn't fuck up in the transfer market & I'll show you a liar.

Top 4 would be an outstanding achievement given the competition in the league these days, Chelsea & your own new fangled wealth, the historic strength of them and then there's North London too.

No he's a tosser who doesn't understand the club or it's supporters. Who the fuck is he anyway.

You'll have heard of Shelvey & Kelly & Flanagan. There's more in the pipeline too.

Easy one, Silva. Star player in a very good team.

I am less grudgeful of your money than I was of Chelsea's. I suspect this has something to do with your antipathy to that shower. Oh and I like Mark E. Smith.

I never try to second guess Kenny & I'm not a betting man. All I'll say is that you were bloody lucky to get out of Anfield with a draw at the end of last month.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 10:48:45 pm »

In terms of who's fit to play right now? In order of importance: Reina, Suarez, Agger. Plenty of good stuff has already been said!

Very happy. The only true dark spot was missing out on Phil Jones, who looks like being a great player for the next decade. Downing is the disappointment amongst our signings, but to me he's clearly a good player who's missing something psychological at the moment. I have no doubt that he's simply in a "slump" right now.

A proper challenge for the top four. I won't be crushed if we don't make it, but I expect we'll be right up there til the end. The most important thing for me to take away from this season will be a concrete feeling that the club is on the rise. We've turned over a new leaf and can't expect things to be perfect in this first full season under FSG and Kenny, but we looked very much on a downward arc at this point last year and all I want is that it looks like the opposite come May. (Yes obviously I'll be disappointed if we don't make 4th, but I expect there to be many a silver lining.)

Yep. I didn't start following LFC (or football at all, really) until about 2002, so I had little exposure to Kenny prior to his arrival under Rafa a couple of years ago. I've since grown to absolutely love the guy - there's nothing like having a manager who clearly has the club in his blood. Two things symbolize Kenny for me at this point: 1. the way he celebrates after all of our goals, in a manner that only a manager who loves his club can, and 2. the moment he brought Jack Robinson on for the first time last season and the cameras caught him joking around with the lad and calming him down. Pure class.

My one complaint, as is the complaint of many I'm sure, is his seeming reluctance to bring on subs. I hate seeing Carroll come on in the last 5 minutes of the game and be useless, or have it take until the 70th minute to get an ineffective Kuyt off the pitch. This last match summed that issue up pretty well. I'm sure he's got his reasons but it bugs the hell out of me!

You'll have already heard of the big, obvious ones (Sterling, Suso, Flanagan, Robinson, etc). Wisdom, Morgan and Coady, too, are probably at least slightly on the radar. I suppose then that my mentions would be Jack Dunn, Kristjan (sp) Adorjan, Michael Ngoo, and Marc Pelosi.

I suppose on paper, Aguero. But I'd frankly rather not have anyone at this club making £200,000 a week. Maybe Adam Johnson, then?

I almost feel sorry for City's supporters, as they seem to be much more earnest and sincere than Chelsea (as the PL's other rich-guy playthings). There must be a rather hollow feeling that comes with buying success outright as though you're playing a real-life game of FM. I've got nothing against the club or the supporters, that's for sure...but I really hope that this trend stops very soon.

The cup game at Anfield?

Reina, Enrique, Coates, Skrtel, Kelly, Downing, Henderson, Shelvey, Adam, Bellamy, Carroll
Subs: Doni, Agger, Johnson, Carra, Maxi, Suarez, Suso (why the hell not?)

Score? 1:1

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01:07 pm »

Not really. Downing hasn't really done anything.

Enrique has been the best buy of any side in the Summer though. The rest would fall somewhere in between.

Top six.

Couldn't be happier. The attitude and work ethic of the side has been spot on, which is the foundation that anyone great side is built on. We're also more adventurous than we've been in a long time.

The transfer market will be key to how well Kenny end up doing though. If we can sign more in the class of Enrique and Suarez we'll win things. Easy eh?

Well, we need a central midfielder, so Michael Johnson.

Soulless money pit.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 11:04:46 pm »
1. Reina is our most important player. Fantastic 'keeper, one of the best I've seen, and a great leader as well. Others that we depend upon are Agger (brilliant defender when he's not injured, which unfortunately is quite often), Lucas, Gerrard (again, when fit, which hasn't been often these past 12-18 months) and of course Suarez.

2. I was very happy. We cleared out all of our 'deadwood' (Poulsen, Konchesky etc.) and addressed pretty much all our weaknesses (apart from cover for Lucas, which will probably be a priority in January, now that he is out the whole season). You can never be certain how the new players will fit in and perform, and maybe there were some doubt about just who we bought, but we bought players for the positions we needed, and our squad is much better balanced. So far, I think Enrique, Bellamy, Henderson have been very good, but Downing is a disappointment, and Adam pretty inconsistent. Coates hasn't played much, but looks like an excellent prospect at CB.

3. That we continue to improve under Kenny, and challenge for a top 4 finish at the end of the season.

4. Of course. Couldn't be happier. I think he was pretty much the only choice after the mess Hodgson left us in, and the turn around over the last year, both on and off the pitch, is quite remarkable.

5. Within the first team squad, I'd say Coates. He's already an Copa America winner, and regular for Uruguay, so he might not be unknown, but certainly a rising star. In the youth team/reserves, I think left back Jack Robinson will become an excellent player in the future. He's just 18 now, made his debut at 16 (as our youngest ever) and played a couple of games under Kenny last season. Did very well then, most notably against Arsenal, and I'm sure he'll continue to get games when he returns from injury.

6. Silva is a joy to watch, and perhaps the best player in the league, but I'd still take Aguero. We desperately need a top quality forward, and Aguero is just that. Can both create and finish chances, and does it with style.

7. I don't mind City, seems like it's been decent club (compared to the that other Manchester club anyway!). The first thing that comes to mind these days are the vast amount of money you have, and I do find it slightly annoying that the Financial Fair Play rules doesn't seem to matter. But superrich owners is nothing new anymore, and I haven't noticed the same arrogance that Chelsea displayed, so you don't bother me anywhere near as much as they did. I also like Mancini, mainly because he was a brilliant player.

8. Assuming everyone apart from Lucas, who is out for the season, is fit, I'd guess it's the usual back 5, with Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger and Enrique, in midfield Gerrard, Henderson and Adam, with Downing, Suarez and Bellamy up front. Maxi, Kuyt and Carrol all have a chance to play too, especially if Downing's form doesn't improve.

Offline Leecher9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 11:07:12 pm »

Lucas who for me has been our best player for a while now gutted about his injury.

Yes and no think we payed too much for downing. But got some fantastic bargains in enrique adam and bellamy.

Totally honest here if we dont sign a striker in jan imo we wont make 4th we will finish about 5th or 6th.

Very happy with the job he has done so far turned the club back to how it was. One thing that can get frustrating though is his decison for subs in games sometimes he will change it to late when its clear its needs to happen earlier but to be honest i suppose alot of managers make that mistake.

Our academy is looking fantastic to be honest when rafa was in charge he hired key staff who have totally revamped it. Sterling Suso Morgan Wisdom  to name a few

Now i never pick obvious players here so you might be surprised in who i say. One player i really like is zabaleta never moans gets on with his job versatile and all in all a really good defender. Next has to be kompany superb player and is so key for your team. Last but not least has to be yaya toure settled into the team perfectly and tbf is an absolute tank when running at players.

I look at this from a fans point of view what most of your fans have been through sticking by your club thick and thin through good and bad deserve every moment your getting. Its such a shame in football now a days when a team becomes succesful you get the biggest twats that start supporting the club because its the easiest thing to do and they act like they have supported the club for years that is what winds me up.

Reina. Kelly. Skrtel. Agger. Enrique. Henderson. Adam. Spearing. Bellamy. Maxi. Carroll. If suarez is banned. I think the score will be 2 2 the reason being we seem to play quite well against the big teams just cant put teams away who are lower than us.

Hope you enjoyed  :wave

Offline Paronomasia

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 11:08:59 pm »
I'd say our key players are Reina, Lucas, Suarez and Gerrard. Out of these, Reina is the most important, and I struggle to see where we'd be without his consistent performances at the back. We're without Lucas for the rest of the season, and could be without Suarez for a considerable period, but with Gerrard possibly coming back soon, and with these two positions apparently the ones we're looking at during the January transfer window, I think these losses will hurt us much less than losing Reina would. That is if Gerrard does actually come back, otherwise we could be looking at having to play without all three of them.

From the five first team signings, Enrique stands out as being the best transfer we've made by far. He's slotted straight into the first team, and the way he's played I think he's easily one of the best left backs in the league, much better than I'd expected at the time. Bellamy is another who has performed well, with some big goals to his name. Henderson and Adam haven't done too bad in the middle of the park, with Henderson especially showing much promise for the future. Stewart Downing hasn't impressed though. I was a big fan of his at Aston Villa, and remember him ending last season with a goal against us, but he just hasn't managed to recreate this form for us. He certainly hasn't been helped by the forwards, as even when he does put in a good cross nobody can get on the end of it, and he's been unlucky not to have scored with a fair few shots producing great saves from the opposition keeper, or coming back off the woodwork. Unfortunately these moments seem to be few and far between, and in many games this season he's been a complete passenger, offering nothing in attack. Out of all of our signings, especially considering he was the most expensive, I'd say he is easily the most disappointing so far. It's up to him to up his form over the remainder of the season and show us all he can be as good for Liverpool as he was for Villa. Oh, and there's Doni, but we haven't even seen him yet.

In terms of the outgoing transfers, I'm not really too sure what to make of it. Looking back, it definitely seems like a mistake to have let Meireles and Aquilani both leave, as it means we are almost completely reliant on Gerrard in that attacking midfield role, and he's been injured since. Insua looked like a very promising player before the boo boys got on his back and started to criticise him for his performances during Rafa's last season, despite the fact he was thrown in at the deep end and was still part of one of the best defences in the league that season. I can certainly see reasons for letting all three players leave, but they could also easily have fitted into the squad we have now. 

I'd say we're definitely playing at the sort of level required for top 6, and with a bit more luck, and better finishing, we could even have been nestled comfortably in the top 4 right now. The amount of times we've hit the woodwork is unreal. If we manage to get in a striker during the transfer window, and I am fully expecting us to, then I am certain we will make it into the top 4, pushing out either Arsenal or Chelsea, or both if Spurs can keep up their current form. Obviously challenging the Manchester clubs is out of the question, but if we keep improving, next season we could well be right up there.

More than happy, I honestly don't think there could have been any better appointment. I wasn't able to witness Kenny the first time around, so before he was appointed I was a bit wary, given the amount of time he'd spent out of the game. But I think the effect he's had on the club after Hodgson's reign speaks for itself. He's got us playing a much better style of football, and he's brought the fans together in a way nobody else could have. 

Our academy and reserves teams seem to be full of up and coming talent at the moment, with players like Conor Coady and Raheem Sterling obviously standing out. Some fans are even suggesting these two should be part of the first team now at the tender ages of 17 and 18. You'll probably have heard of Sterling, being the youngest player ever selected in our European squad, but Coady was there too, and I think he looks class. He captained the under-18s when he was there, and scored in a pre season friendly this season against a Guangdong XI. It's a pity that Lucas is injured, as it means we will almost certainly be bringing another DM in, but I suppose it gives him more incentive to prove himself as being good enough to play for the first team. Another player who is much closer to making it is Jonjo Shelvey, recently recalled from a brilliant loan spell at Blackpool, where he was second top scorer.

Well we're in desperate need of someone who can score on a consistent basis, so out of all of them, I'd go with Aguero. Of the rest of the team, I'd have Silva, as he is the sort of player who would improve any side.

If we were still up there competing in the title race, I think I'd have a much bigger problem with City than I do. As it is, your rise seems to have coincided with our fall from the top, meaning that you've pretty much replaced us as one of united's main rivals. Because of that, with united having reached 19 titles and looking to win even more, I'm happy for city to be there stopping them. It won't last for long though, as within a few seasons we'll be back up on top.

Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, Adam, Henderson, Maxi, Shelvey, Bellamy, Suarez
I really have no idea about the score, it depends on whether we can manage to put the chances away. If Suarez has his shooting boots on, or someone else can step up, I reckon we'll just scrape it, maybe 1-0 or 2-1, if not then 2-0 to you, with us hitting the post 4 times.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 11:12:54 pm »

No surprises here I'm afraid. Suarez, Agger, and Lucas for me.  I think LFC fans always knew how important Agger and Suarez are.  The injury to Lucas has shown just how important he is to how our team play and I think some fans are really surprised at how much we are missing him, Get well soon Lucas.

Very happy with Henderson, Bellamy and Enrique.  Non-plussed about Downing, and disappointed we signed Adam, I just don't think he's good enough for LFC.   I was gutted we lost Meireles who is now an integral part of a successful Chelsea.   Amazed we managed to get rid of Cole, Poulsen, Konchesky, Degen, El Zhar and Jovanovic.  Good business on shifting the deadwood.

It's hard to know.  I expect we will do worse than we could have done had Gerrard and Lucas been available all season.  Top 4 might be optimistic I fear.

Of course.

I really like what I've seen of the young American we've just bought, Marc Pelosi, left sided player in our academy.

With Lucas out, I'd like Yaya Toure.  Other than that the obvious really, Silva, Aguero.

Well I'd rather City were the Manchester team that won everything than the other team from Manchester.  My perception is that you have bought success.

Injuries in our midfield kinda dictate who can play, but our defence is settled
Reina, Enrique, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson
 Adam, Henderson, maybe Spearing
Suarez and two of Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 11:22:08 pm »

I think recently we've seen how key Agger being fit is for us, we've gone from having rather a leaky defence to the best defence in the league thanks to the formidable partnership of Skrtel and Agger. This is also down to Pepe Reina who isn't having a great season by his standards but just seems to gobble everything up with ease, you'll see Joe Hart sprawling and tipping one over in dramatic fashion, Pepe would have coolly sidestepped his way there, caught it and launched an attack. Lucas just gets classier every time you see him, this was emphasised when he removed Juan Mata for long enough to keep David Silva in his back pocket against you lot last month. He'll be missed hugely, like our captain has been this season, inspirational and the driving force we've lacked to pick us up and drag us over the line in some games this season. Finally, Suarez is just unbelievable, if the corrupt twits at the FA get their way and we're deprived of him for 8 games our season's going to take a huge hit.

Yes and no, I had hoped for one big money really exciting signing but I guess without the lure of Champions League football that was never on the cards. Enrique was an absolute bargain, five times the player Clichy is. Henderson has pleasantly surprised me, he's grown in maturity since the start of the season. Charlie Adam has been hit and miss, but for the price we paid he's going to provide key passes and goals when it counts, he's also prone to have an absolute mare now and then. Downing hasn't been great let's face it, especially when you consider how much we paid but he hasn't had much luck, hit the woodwork a fair few times and you get the feeling it could've been a whole lot different had his 50-yard run and 25-yard piledriver on the first day of the season been a few centimetres lower. Coates has looked good when he's played and Doni has sat on the bench brilliantly.

Top 4. We need Champions League qualification and we're a goalscorer away from being there comfortably, I think we're a lot closer than many on this forum seem to think and could still quite easily be there come May. It'll be interesting to see what we do in January.

Over the moon, just the love he clearly has for the club and the way he's stood by Suarez in the difficult times of late has emphasised what a class act the King is. When you consider where we were a year ago the progress we've made is almost miraculous and the fact that we're disappointed to be 3 points off 4th shows what confidence he's brought to us as fans.

Sterling, Shelvey, Suso, Morgan, Pelosi, and many more I've probably forgotten. Rafa revolutionised our Academy and the future looks bright at the moment.

Aguero. We need a finisher and his finishing is ridiculous. Him and Suarez linking up would be amazing.

Hmmm. It's not City's fault that you're loaded and I certainly wouldn't complain if it happened to us. I guess people just feel you've had an easy route to the top, especially considering the shit we've been through over the last few years. Rather you lot win it than Bacon Face's lot though.

Barring injuries and assuming Suarez is available the XI will probably be this:

Reina

Adam    Gerrard
Downing       Henderson     Bellamy
                Suarez

And as for a prediction... 12-12!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:24:37 pm by RedinExeter »
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2011, 12:12:49 am »

Lucas has been consistently very good this season, his positioning and work has been great and it's a shame he's out for a while. Suarez is obviously the main threat in the final third, his control and movement is fantastic and he works very hard though I feel he needs to be slightly more clever with his closing down of centre backs at points. Reina has been one of the best goalkeepers in Europe for the past few years and has great mental character. Enrique at left back is also becoming a key influence, particularly considering our attacking play of narrow quick combinations between 3 or 4 players, good overlaps and width from him has been important. Everyone knows about Gerrard of course when he's fit.

There's been quite a bit of debate about our summer signings. As mentioned, Enrique's been a very good signing, probably the best of the summer ones. Henderson's shown good potential though is obviously young and needs time. Adam's played very well at points. His passing's been good and his ability to switch play with long diagonals is very useful and he also makes intelligent forward runs from midfield, though needs to be more aware defensively. Bellamy's had some excellent performances so far when he's played and is a good addition to the squad. Downing's probably been the most disappointing so far of the summer signings, though he adds a good balance out wide. Coates is young and hasn't played much so can't really make an assessment on him yet and Doni is the second choice keeper

Overall fairly good, they just need more time to work on specific aspects.

The top quarter or so of the table has been very competitive so far and it's quite hard to judge at this stage who will finish where. Before the season a good challenge for and possible finish in the top 4 was the main target. So far it's certainly a possibility we just need to work on certain aspects of our game and try and not hit the woodwork so often! To win the Carling Cup would be nice of course

Yes. Of course, his history with the club probably gets him a bit more time freedom to do what he wants because he has a lot of trust from the fans. However he's improved our form dramatically since he took over the job and brought a lot more confidence to the club since January. He's made some good changes to the team tactically and in the personnel and he understands the club better than anyone so he's got a big advantage.

Shelvey's played a number of games in the last few months and he's played well. Robinson and Flanagan have also played a few games in the last couple of years and look promising. In terms of players who haven't played yet, Sterling, Suso, Morgan, Pelosi and Coady have impressed lower down and could well be first team players in the future.

David Silva. People talk about us needing a finisher but we really lack guile and patience when facing teams who defend deep and compact (as shown by our draws against some teams we really should be beating). A lot of our play is reliant on energetic closing down and quick passing combinations high up into space and when we have that space made really tight we don't have the patience or midfield control to entice opposing players out of position and create space to open them up. Bar Gerrard, we also don't really have an attacking midfielder or trequartista like Silva. Maxi's movement and runs are pretty good and he can play there but he's not really a player who you can build attacks around. Silva is a big part of all of your attacks and having him in between the lines is a great advantage for central penetration. His control, both with his back to goal and under pressure, also means you can spread players wider to create space because you don't necessarily have to have 3 or 4 players close to him to link up.

I've always liked City as a club and I think you've got a lot of unfair criticism, particularly last year because you've had so much money to spend. Of course that's not your fault and I like the way City have dealt with it. I also rate Mancini as a manager.

Team's been quite unpredictable this season and there's usually one or two who weren't expected in the main. In my opinion it will probably be this:

Reina

Johnson     Coates        Agger       Enrique

Spearing     Adam

Downing             Shelvey       Bellamy

Carroll

Don't generally like predictions, particularly without knowing which players will play for each team and what tactics will be used. If I had to predict, I'd go 2-0 to you though obviously would like a Liverpool win :)
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2011, 11:35:08 am »

With Lucas and Stevie out, we're missing two of them- but Suarez, Reina and the great burgeoning central defensive partnership of Agger and Skrtel will be key for this game as they always are.

Mixed feelings- I was happy with some deals, such as Enrique, Bellamy (bargains of the summer) and Henderson. Adam has proved his worth but is also proving frustratingly inconsistent. Downing has not yet lived up to his billing as a consistent provider of goals and assists. There's still work to be done in the next two transfer windows before we can consider ourselves as strong challengers for the top 4 in my opinion.

Two strong cup runs and a top 4 challenge. There are better teams than ours in the running so it will take a mighty push to make the top 4.

Yes!

Look out for Raheem Sterling, Suso and Connor Coady over the next few years. Also Pacheco, if he ever gets his chance.

We could really use any of Aguero, Johnson, Silva or Dzeko. Right now we are lacking some magic in midfield and a ruthless finisher. Any of those players would improve us dramatically, but to be honest I'd take most of your first XI!

City's fans like to portray fans of other clubs as 'jealous' of their money. I'm not at all, and would prefer to see a club built on the solid foundations of bringing through young, preferably local players, rather than immediately throwing money at problems.

Having said that, I like Mancini and think you are playing magnificent football nowadays. I used to go and watch City a bit as a young un, when they were shite. I don't really begrudge their fans success after a rollercoaster last 20 years, but I do begrudge the inherent smugness that comes with suddenly being the best team in the country.

Oh and Balotelli is excellent entertainment on and off the field!

Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique; Henderson, Spearing, Adam, Downing; Bellamy, Suarez

I think we will lose a close-fought battle 2-1.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:49:15 pm by Joga »