Author Topic: 'The Blues and the Reds'  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
'The Blues and the Reds'
« on: July 11, 2018, 05:00:34 pm »
This may not be news to some of you, but I've never seen this before.

Written in 1984 by Social Historian Tony Mason it's an in-depth account of the early beginnings of both Everton and Liverpool, all the politics and finances behind Everton's move out. Some great stuff in there - for instance, never knew Dixie Dean had a bad motorbike accident while he was at Tranmere.

It debunks the Religion thing and adds a bit of colour to the Kopite of long ago .... loved this bit:

Few favours or colours were worn by the crowd when Liverpool and Everton met in the F.A. Cup in 1905. Porcupine offered an unlikely explanation. '. . . we in Liverpool are either more reserved or less enthusiastic than our brethren up country. When Sheffield, Birmingham or Blackburn come to town we know it. ... But Liverpudlians rarely wear their colours conspicuously even when they travel abroad . . .'

The cool kids in the 300's will love that bit  ;D

https://www.hslc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/134-7-Mason.pdf

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: 'The Blues and the Reds'
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:14:49 pm »
The red car and the blue car had a race,
All red wants to do is stuff his face,
He eats everything he sees
From Cups to Champions Leagues,
But grand old blue he took the Moyesy way
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:13:19 am »
Remember reading this when it came out. Fairly decent.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:11:33 am »
Where's the Anfield rent money, Bill?!

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:34:44 am »
Where's the Anfield rent money, Bill?!

Some things never change  ;)

It is still not entirely clear why Houlding took the line he did. He could hardly have been short of money. Some contemporary suggestions claimed political differences to be at the root of it but as the Liverpool Review pointed out, the Everton club were 'Tory to the backbone'. It is possible that some members disliked the club's reliance on the drink interest. By the end of the controversy there was clearly some personal animosity. But it seems that it was Houlding's commercial instincts and his determination to use his power which really provoked the opposition.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:47:01 pm »
for some detailed analysis of secartianism in liverpool and how it relates to the football clubs this is interesting :

https://livrepository.liverpool.ac.uk/2010280/3/RobertsKei_April2015_2010280.pdf

(skip to  Chapter Nine - Everton and Liverpool football clubs: New Gods)

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 10:50:32 am »
for some detailed analysis of secartianism in liverpool and how it relates to the football clubs this is interesting :

https://livrepository.liverpool.ac.uk/2010280/3/RobertsKei_April2015_2010280.pdf

(skip to  Chapter Nine - Everton and Liverpool football clubs: New Gods)

Cheers for the link cashmere, that's an excellent resource, love the oral histories. That Chapter 9 is brilliant, very good on post-Heysel & post- Hillsborough too.

Took one little clip from it that tickled me being a left-footer (lapsed  :-X ) …

The idea that football has replaced religion is a half-truth.  They can go together.  Football has the element of religion in it, in terms of fervour and support and going to support ‘your side’, and people talk about having ‘the faith’, but football has borrowed that terminology.  For some people it’s replaced it.  Some people are more fervent about their football team than they are about their faith, but for many, they have borrowed the language and the ritual.  There is a ritual.  You wear your colours, it’s your flag, you say, ‘that’s my religion’, but I think that borrows the language.  It doesn’t just replace it.  I joke, I say, ‘to be a good Catholic, you’ve got to be an Evertonian, because we understand what sufferings about.'