Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3304585 times)

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #26480 on: December 28, 2021, 02:40:30 pm »
Always thought Pete Selby was one of the sounder opposition contributors, but he had a shocker on Team Talk - when asked about their despicable chanting, he half heartedly said it was 'childish' but that 'feed the scousers' is an easy chant to go with at this time of year. Then spent what felt like 10 minutes of the same answer crying about Tyler Morton and Jota's nonexistent elbow. Disappointing from him.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26481 on: December 28, 2021, 10:04:03 pm »
Always thought Pete Selby was one of the sounder opposition contributors, but he had a shocker on Team Talk - when asked about their despicable chanting, he half heartedly said it was 'childish' but that 'feed the scousers' is an easy chant to go with at this time of year. Then spent what felt like 10 minutes of the same answer crying about Tyler Morton and Jota's nonexistent elbow. Disappointing from him.

To be honest, he's often come across to me as a bit of a jumped up prick on previous shows, so not really surprising to hear that he acted like a tit again.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #26482 on: December 28, 2021, 10:17:15 pm »
there's no one in football i'd rather listen to than neil atkinson - but neil, this one's on you, soon as i heard those lines about the upcoming leicester game i was like 'ahhh fuck'

the post game show should be interesting...
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #26483 on: December 29, 2021, 12:44:34 am »
"I own bars that are open 'til 4am Rob, and I wont be going to them either." Welcome back Paul Senior. :lmao

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26484 on: December 29, 2021, 01:48:47 am »
"I own bars that are open 'til 4am Rob, and I wont be going to them either." Welcome back Paul Senior. :lmao
Absolutely bemused at Gutman wanting to go clubbing with Leicester fans after that.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #26485 on: December 29, 2021, 12:25:23 pm »
To be honest, he's often come across to me as a bit of a jumped up prick on previous shows, so not really surprising to hear that he acted like a tit again.

I don’t think it’s that long till we play them again so a chance to quiz him on shows around then. Hard to see how he can brush it off again.

Offline wet echo

• trapped paper puncher in need of a work out
  • Kopite
« Reply #26486 on: December 29, 2021, 12:30:07 pm »
I thought that too. Thought He got an easy ride in the interview,he came across as an arrogant self important tit.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #26487 on: December 29, 2021, 12:34:06 pm »
Absolutely bemused at Gutman wanting to go clubbing with Leicester fans after that.
Iirc his best mate was a Leicester fan and died not that long ago.  Leicester away was always a big trip for him.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PaulSenior

• Main Stander
  • And its off to the match we go...
« Reply #26488 on: December 29, 2021, 02:10:05 pm »
Not quite right this mate, Paul Grant and Robs trip was Norwich. Paul was a blue but they both loved Norwich and always did it together. A great man Paul.

Iirc his best mate was a Leicester fan and died not that long ago.  Leicester away was always a big trip for him.
@PaulSenior1

Offline Leivashire

• Main Stander
« Reply #26489 on: December 29, 2021, 03:21:20 pm »
Not quite right this mate, Paul Grant and Robs trip was Norwich. Paul was a blue but they both loved Norwich and always did it together. A great man Paul.

Great to hear you on a few Pinks recently.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #26490 on: December 29, 2021, 03:38:04 pm »

Ah that’s right…. I remember the eulogy Rob wrote for him which which quite moving…

Great to hear you on a few Pinks recently.
Likewise…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26491 on: December 29, 2021, 08:40:34 pm »
I thought that too. Thought He got an easy ride in the interview,he came across as an arrogant self important tit.

I wouldn't blame John Gibbons for not grilling him on it - it's a difficult balancing act and they need to keep good relationships with these opposition contributors. However, while I can't speak for Gibbons or assume I know his thoughts, I'd be surprised if he wasn't disappointed with the answer too. Selby generally speaks pretty well and pretty fairly in my opinion, but for those few minutes he really came across as a bitter, sore-loser bellend who was half apologising for some shocking stuff from their fanbase. It was frankly a bit cringeworthy and he let himself down.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #26492 on: December 30, 2021, 01:33:20 pm »
The recent Gutter explored a few overarching issues regarding the club’s transfer strategy, which was broadly reasonable. While I agree that the First XI has been set for a few years, I don’t actually agree that we’ve bought for ‘the squad’ in recent windows rather than starting positions. Jota and Thiago are both now credible staring players and Konate is certainly close. The point is that when you’re winning CLs and leagues you’re buying from a tiny pool if you want to replace incumbents. You speculate and see if a new recruit can step up or will remain a squad player.

Beyond TAW, there’s a strange falsehood that’s taken hold about Liverpool having done nothing in the transfer market since winning the CL. Jota, Thiago, Konate and Tsimikas are all very good signings who add real value to the squad - strengthening in all key areas.

I understand the argument around low net spend being frustrating, but that does distract from the fact Liverpool do sign players and the squad isn’t simply stuck in 2019.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26493 on: December 30, 2021, 07:44:41 pm »
Has anyone listened to the very under rated Alphabet soup?  What/who is the urban legend referred to as Cherry Blossom?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26494 on: December 31, 2021, 12:54:20 am »
Has anyone listened to the very under rated Alphabet soup?  What/who is the urban legend referred to as Cherry Blossom?
arl fella who drank in the Coronation before Belle vale on the 79 route used to polish his thinning hair and bald spot with loads of cherry blossom shoe polish, which would run down her his head hence his name.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26495 on: December 31, 2021, 01:30:25 am »
I liked The Pink post Leicester. I hated the game.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26496 on: December 31, 2021, 09:18:17 am »
arl fella who drank in the Coronation before Belle vale on the 79 route used to polish his thinning hair and bald spot with loads of cherry blossom shoe polish, which would run down her his head hence his name.

;D  Thanks, I love this kind of stuff
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #26497 on: December 31, 2021, 12:29:01 pm »
it's a difficult balancing act and they need to keep good relationships with these opposition contributors.

Why?...a prick's a prick
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26498 on: January 1, 2022, 12:58:58 am »
Why?...a prick's a prick

Indeed, but to be fair, I haven't heard that particular contributor be like that before. And it can't always be easy to find a good reliable contributor from an opposition team. When it is easy (in the case of Man City, where that utter weapon - can't remember her name - threw in some of the worst whataboutery I've ever heard) the guilty party probably won't get used much again.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26499 on: January 1, 2022, 11:16:55 pm »
I thought the Chelsea fan on the Team Talk was a bit of an idiot. Sounded like he spent last season spouting nonsense about our injuries and is now stubbornly refusing to admit that injuries actually have an effect on the form of football teams (including his).

At what point would rival fans have taken our injuries seriously? All of our first choice centre-backs were out for the majority of the season and then our midfielders who were playing as makeshift defenders also got injured. It doesn't matter how big your squad is, if you're having to play your 6th and 7th choice centre-halves for months on end then you're going to struggle to challenge for the title.

If our entire first team were out injured for the whole season would they concede that it might be a bit of an issue or would they keep on parroting the same nonsense about big clubs having big squads? I'd love to know where they draw the line for injuries being a valid excuse for a dip in form.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2022, 11:18:29 pm by Koplass »
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #26500 on: January 2, 2022, 12:45:30 am »
I know there has been some backlash about the oppo guests on shows like Team Talk recently, but as someone who has moaned on here previously about ‘Sid Reasonable’ coming on week after week, I’m kind of glad they are trying a little needle. Robbo is right when he says needle makes football. I just wish the TAW lads would give a little needle back. Just letting them reveal their tribalism is only part of it.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26501 on: January 2, 2022, 01:12:37 am »
I reckon they should carry Stanleys when interviewing the fuckers

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #26502 on: January 2, 2022, 01:14:42 am »

Oh Lord…

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26503 on: January 2, 2022, 01:31:49 am »
Oh Lord…
Thought you'd be in favour, wouldn't get no backchat and there'd be loads of needle, three star jumpers flying about everywhere

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26504 on: January 2, 2022, 01:42:12 am »
Friday show couldn't stay on he sound though would have to be on video so we could watch Gibbo launching into them, Harriet could set up straighteners and The Redmen would have to up their game as well, no more friendly interviews, they both could join up for the big teams Imagine AFTV they wouldn't know what hit them

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26505 on: January 2, 2022, 08:16:55 am »
Joking aside last thing I want is a banter type interaction with opposing fans. Everyone ends up defensive and you’re get nothing out of it bar their striker is better than Salah good to hear genuine thoughts of the other side minus the predictable front we’ve heard a million times the down side is we hear things we don’t like from time to time but works best when it’s not about us and we hear their genuine thoughts good or bad and we get a bit of insight we wouldn’t normally get

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26506 on: January 2, 2022, 08:22:10 am »

A fella used to do that in the Beehive (The one on Mount Pleasant)

As he danced (And he always danced) it ran quite a lot..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26507 on: January 2, 2022, 08:23:37 am »
I thought the Chelsea fan on the Team Talk was a bit of an idiot. Sounded like he spent last season spouting nonsense about our injuries and is now stubbornly refusing to admit that injuries actually have an effect on the form of football teams (including his).

At what point would rival fans have taken our injuries seriously? All of our first choice centre-backs were out for the majority of the season and then our midfielders who were playing as makeshift defenders also got injured. It doesn't matter how big your squad is, if you're having to play your 6th and 7th choice centre-halves for months on end then you're going to struggle to challenge for the title.

If our entire first team were out injured for the whole season would they concede that it might be a bit of an issue or would they keep on parroting the same nonsense about big clubs having big squads? I'd love to know where they draw the line for injuries being a valid excuse for a dip in form.

I know one or two decent Chelsea fans, but most are as thick as mince and twice as racist.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #26508 on: January 2, 2022, 09:49:43 am »

And hatchets to bury in their heads...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #26509 on: January 2, 2022, 11:21:24 am »
I know there has been some backlash about the oppo guests on shows like Team Talk recently, but as someone who has moaned on here previously about ‘Sid Reasonable’ coming on week after week, I’m kind of glad they are trying a little needle. Robbo is right when he says needle makes football. I just wish the TAW lads would give a little needle back. Just letting them reveal their tribalism is only part of it.

They've said numerous times that in those occasions they'd prefer to let the opposition hang themselves.

I'm trying something similar and disengaging with people who can't be reasoned with.

Ask me how I'm doing after the palace game

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #26510 on: January 3, 2022, 02:06:18 pm »
Friday show couldn't stay on he sound though would have to be on video so we could watch Gibbo launching into them, Harriet could set up straighteners and The Redmen would have to up their game as well, no more friendly interviews, they both could join up for the big teams Imagine AFTV they wouldn't know what hit them

You must be exhausted from demolishing all those straw men. Have a rest. 

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26511 on: January 3, 2022, 08:22:56 pm »
You must be exhausted from demolishing all those straw men. Have a rest.
  Sorry mate if you misunderstood, it's just a bit of light hearted fun, in real life neither of the Redmen can't fight for toffee and although I know she doesn't like talking about it but Harriet being an ex MMA champion wouldn't be content sitting on the phone Troopz would be tapping out within a minute

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #26512 on: January 3, 2022, 08:56:55 pm »
The excellent free show today is further evidence of why anyone who has not yet subscribed to TAW really should.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #26513 on: January 4, 2022, 08:17:07 am »
Initially never thought the review would end up the show I can’t miss but it’s constantly good. Recently b been a bit of a false argument about City just being too good because of money and Guardiola and being uncatchable, a football fatalism vs We can still win it as a matter of faith position but you rarely get intelligent discussion of both our strengths and weaknesses this season that doesn’t involve cliche or player blaming but looks at what we’re doing well and where we are weak, love the stuff on struggling with the midblock and how on the edge we’re playing and how key moments could end up defining our success Shits all over MNF Different league

Agreed, it was fantastic.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26514 on: January 4, 2022, 10:34:19 am »
Initially never thought the review would end up the show I can’t miss but it’s constantly good. Recently b been a bit of a false argument about City just being too good because of money and Guardiola and being uncatchable, a football fatalism vs We can still win it as a matter of faith position but you rarely get intelligent discussion of both our strengths and weaknesses this season that doesn’t involve cliche or player blaming but looks at what we’re doing well and where we are weak, love the stuff on struggling with the midblock and how on the edge we’re playing and how key moments could end up defining our success Shits all over MNF Different league

It's the only real can't miss show for me, particularly if we haven't won.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #26515 on: January 4, 2022, 02:32:29 pm »
Joking aside last thing I want is a banter type interaction with opposing fans. Everyone ends up defensive and you’re get nothing out of it bar their striker is better than Salah good to hear genuine thoughts of the other side minus the predictable front we’ve heard a million times the down side is we hear things we don’t like from time to time but works best when it’s not about us and we hear their genuine thoughts good or bad and we get a bit of insight we wouldn’t normally get
I agree with this.

There's also the very very tiny chance that...we are also horrendously biased, wrapped up in our own importance and prejudice and that any oppo listening to the average TAW show would possibly - at times - think it's blinkered rubbish*.

The point is that shows like the Coach Home kind of show us that fans are often very inward looking with a persecution complex, believing everyone is against their team. Basically, we're all the same so don't get too hot under the collar about it.

*it's not, its brilliant, it's always spot-on and oppo fans are thick.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26516 on: January 4, 2022, 02:37:47 pm »
Always nice to hear from Billy Grant the Brentford fan. Nice that some fans can just enjoy how things are going and not get caught up in all the nonsense.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #26517 on: January 4, 2022, 03:29:21 pm »
Might be late on this as I'm catching up now Christmas is over.

The cup of tea with Paul Moran is fantastic.

Well done all round.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26518 on: January 4, 2022, 04:32:20 pm »
I agree about the Review Shows. They are the most sensible and rational discussions coving the broad issues of a football game that you'll find anywhere.
Well done for achieving that TAW.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26519 on: January 4, 2022, 07:40:35 pm »
Oh how tired they must be reading this (again). The post match show (Chelsea) was really brilliant. Funny, insightful, a bit mad and tremendously good humoured. Well in fellas.