Author Topic: Injury (and absence) related chat (so the news is kept in the other thread)  (Read 577248 times)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm not blaming our coaches or staff if this is the case, because I'm sure they have their reasons and I think there's simply a huge degree of bad luck with the number of injuries. But at the same time I have been wondering myself if there's something in what you're saying. The players look unbelievably leggy and sluggish, like they've been overtrained.

And while there were obviously a lot of other factors (ridiculous injury list, with Matip being the straw that broke the camel's back, plus no crowds), I remember our form going to absolute pieces in late December/early January 2020-21 after we'd finally had a free 7 or 8 days to train. Having been top on boxing day, we came back looking absolutely shattered after a break in the games.

The pay off is hopefully more endurance towards the end of the season, but not sure if that'll do much good if we drop too many points early on.

To be fair, even though we did look knackered towards the end of the season, we sid pretry well considering the amount of games and our schedule. A less fit squad would have likely fared far worse.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
The pay off is hopefully more endurance towards the end of the season, but not sure if that'll do much good if we drop too many points early on.

To be fair, even though we did look knackered towards the end of the season, we sid pretry well considering the amount of games and our schedule. A less fit squad would have likely fared far worse.

Is that how it works though? During Brendan's reign the ideology was to start off a bit slow in order to hit peak physical levels in early spring and ride that wave until May. The opposite, what may be the idea now, is to go quite intense early, but that would mean full capacity early in the season and then some stagnation at the end.

Having said that, last season we played a gazillion games and a lot of players were okay and some excelling. And what do I know, I know fuck all about sports science and fitness.  ;D
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is that how it works though? During Brendan's reign the ideology was to start off a bit slow in order to hit peak physical levels in early spring and ride that wave until May. The opposite, what may be the idea now, is to go quite intense early, but that would mean full capacity early in the season and then some stagnation at the end.

Having said that, last season we played a gazillion games and a lot of players were okay and some excelling. And what do I know, I know fuck all about sports science and fitness.  ;D

I think the idea is that it's too difficult to build fitness during the season, especially when competing in four competitions. You spend all the time playing and recovering from matches, and training is probably more about dealing with specific opponents or working through problems, and not fitness. So the only time to do actual hard sessions is in pre-season. After that, you'll hope the matches do it, but you have little control over that.

For example, you can't do too much strength work in the gym, because you'll need to fresh and recovered for a match 2 days later. But you can't really do the same type of strength work with just playing, you need to do it in the gym.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
For example, you can't do too much strength work in the gym, because you'll need to fresh and recovered for a match 2 days later. But you can't really do the same type of strength work with just playing, you need to do it in the gym.

That's what I'm thinking in FM as well.  :P
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If you're going to post things like this at least say where you got it from. A number of people have asked where you have heard this and you haven't responded. This is the first time I've heard that he has done his ACL.

I think the complete silence around the injury is causing the speculation that it's a bad one.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
our style also doesn't help. If we can rest with the ball and win with less intensity it will be easier.

Not going a goal behind in every game would help.
Football is a lie

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I think the complete silence around the injury is causing the speculation that it's a bad one.
in the NHL there's a kind of tradition that an injury to a key player (esp during the playoffs) will only get a vague public explanation eg "lower body injury" with zero specifics.  the thinking is: don't give the hard men on oppo teams a chance to target body checks on a player's weak point.

in the past couple of weeks our reluctance to be opnen about even the existence of small injuries is reminding me of that.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
Not going a goal behind in every game would help.
absolutely.  it's getting ridiculous, and apart from the obvious, it's adding to our players' mental tiredeness as well.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan

My Mrs follows some of the players on Instagram, and at the time there were a couple of strange/cryptic posts that might suggest it was a Long term one.

Please don't take this as Gospel that it is. It was just the impression I got when she showed me them.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Konate, Pearce said unlikely before the first international break which is in September. 

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Konate, Pearce said unlikely before the first international break which is in September. 

Clearly an ACL with a hint of MCL then.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Some of the reasoning and questions about the backroom staff is odd. Just look at the players who are injured or who have been injured, thats generally the answer. We have too many players made of glass.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
Thiago, Jones, Bobby, Jota, Matip and Ox - they will always struggle with injuries unfortunately.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Thiago, Jones, Bobby, Jota, Matip and Ox - they will always struggle with injuries unfortunately.

Jota isnt too bad.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jota isnt too bad.

big injury his first season - played in a dead rubber; injury last season when he was flying before the CC final - never quite hit the heights; injured to start this season - likely to miss 3-4 games.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
big injury his first season - played in a dead rubber; injury last season when he was flying before the CC final - never quite hit the heights; injured to start this season - likely to miss 3-4 games.

Means he isnt a Mane or Salah but doesnt make him injury prone.

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan

Being hacked into oblivion vs. Midtjylland and then played in a pointless (actually, completely counterproductive!) international tournament after a 55 game season and suffering a muscle issue isn't being injury prone!

Honestly, the more I think about the Nations League the angrier I get  :no

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
Being hacked into oblivion vs. Midtjylland and then played in a pointless (actually, completely counterproductive!) international tournament after a 55 game season and suffering a muscle issue isn't being injury prone!

Honestly, the more I think about the Nations League the angrier I get  :no

There's always a lot of the fanbase rationalising our injuries in order to make out players aren't injury prone. I've heard this loads with Joe Gomez in particular - "well, it was an impact injury - just bad luck", "it was a freak accident on international duty, what can you do?". But when a player always misses significant spells in every season, then - bad luck or not - there's a body of evidence to say that player is injury prone. I hope Jota has simply been unlucky so far, but I'd have my doubts this is something that'll just stop happening with him.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
There's always a lot of the fanbase rationalising our injuries in order to make out players aren't injury prone. I've heard this loads with Joe Gomez in particular - "well, it was an impact injury - just bad luck", "it was a freak accident on international duty, what can you do?". But when a player always misses significant spells in every season, then - bad luck or not - there's a body of evidence to say that player is injury prone. I hope Jota has simply been unlucky so far, but I'd have my doubts this is something that'll just stop happening with him.

Spot on with my assessment.

My theory is some players develop structural imbalances when they have an injury, whereas others don’t. This imbalance creates follow on issues / injuries. Hard for physios to fix, as we’re talking about athletes who are often physically (football wise) at their genetic maximum.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Means he isnt a Mane or Salah but doesnt make him injury prone.
This is an important point I think. There's a lot of guff spoken now by fans about 'injury-proneness', most of it reactive. Frustrations being turned into 'facts'.

Most players will get injured from time to time and the nature of the injury IS important when assessing whether a player is 'injury-prone' or not.

I'd say very few of our players are truly injury-prone. And also fewer still had any such history before coming here, which also means that any supoosedly 'non-injury-prone' player we buy could also end up having lots of injuries. Keita, for example, has no particular history of injuries before coming here. Yet once here he has had a lot of bad luck with injuries. The same could happen with any other player. There are no guarantees. The panacea mentality is frought with counter-indications.

The really noteworthy thing is that there are some players who hardly ever seem to be injured, such as Salah and Mane and Gini. That's the aberration here and we have benefited from that as much as we have suffered from a few injury prone players.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Read that City went for a less intense pre-season whilst we have gone in much harder. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Read that City went for a less intense pre-season whilst we have gone in much harder. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Difference is City play most games on auto pilot and just keep the ball all game. We usually always have to go flat out for 90 minutes to get a result which is a lot more exerting.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red

You've left the worst of the lot out…Keita! 
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
You've left the worst of the lot out…Keita! 
Is he the worst of the lot? I know lots of people have decided that he is. But what are the facts?

Last season he was pretty much fit all the way through, and in previous seasons as well there have been long periods when he's been fit but not always used.

It's very easy to give a dog a bad name but pro rata has he been injured more often, and for longer, than all the other players?

Who is the "worst of the lot"? I'm sure there are stats sites that record this kind of info, if anyone who uses them can check?

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader

It already has. We won the Community Shield, but now have lots of injuries and two points. City are top of the league.

We don't actually know how true the intensity premise is; but any negative effects of a slow ramp up are now in the rearview mirror as there is sufficient time for City to build the fitness required for the two games per week which kick in at the very end of August.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
It already has. We won the Community Shield, but now have lots of injuries and two points. City are top of the league.

We don't actually know how true the intensity premise is; but any negative effects of a slow ramp up are now in the rearview mirror as there is sufficient time for City to build the fitness required for the two games per week which kick in at the very end of August.

We dont really know i guess because we are just speculating and trying to make sense of it. I think Ljinders said wanted to be ready for the Charity Shield and I wonder if it was because we felt we needed to get in an early blow and start well. But then we also claimed we were not ready.

The thing is though we can talk about these things but the reality is that generally the players with bad injury records are the ones that are injured. The likes of Keita, Thiago, Gomez, Henderson and even Matip have had chequered injury histories so is it a surprise they are out? I know people will claim the same for Jota and Konate but both of those were kind of unlucky.

Either way I fully expect our plan to come good that we have a good season but the question is will it be too little too late.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
Jota and Konate but both of those were kind of unlucky.
unlucky in what way?  they weren't impact injuries, IIRC.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Keita and Firmino back in training.

Some twitter accounts saying Henderson not pictured in training today.

Offline MindGuerrillas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
unlucky in what way?  they weren't impact injuries, IIRC.

Jota's wasn't but Konate had his knee bent sideways in a tackle against Strasbourg.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 03:27:18 pm by MindGuerrillas »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Matip is back in training too…

(Not fully with the squad though)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:22:18 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
Jota's wasn't but Konate had his knee bent sideways in a tackle against Strasbourg.
ah, ok thanks.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Looks like Jota is pushed now til the end of the month.

That's a longer than the initial time frame by several weeks.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
Looks like Jota is pushed now til the end of the month.

That's a longer than the initial time frame by several weeks.

I'd imagine we're being extra careful with the injury being a reoccurace of the previous injury he came back from international duty with. I assume Jota must have felt OK the last time he resumed training so maybe we're being cautious and adding a little extra time on to what it'd usually take.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
firmino fit
keita ready
jota/jones - close - not yet.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
Spot on with my assessment.

My theory is some players develop structural imbalances when they have an injury, whereas others don’t. This imbalance creates follow on issues / injuries. Hard for physios to fix, as we’re talking about athletes who are often physically (football wise) at their genetic maximum.

:o

This isn't just your theory, this is one of the basic premises of injury and rehabilitation. Very few parts of the body work in isolation. You get an injury here, then it's going to affect how load/stress is distributed elsewhere and these biomechanics factors play a role in further injuries.

Not sure what you mean by athletes being at their genetic maximum. Everyone is at their genetic maximum. You don't acquire more genes in your lifetime in the strictest sense (genetic material does change however). Physios help rehabilitate athletes from certain injuries based on evidence and best practice guidelines. The reality is that the more serious injuries you have, the more likely you will have persistent problems down the line.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
:o

This isn't just your theory, this is one of the basic premises of injury and rehabilitation. Very few parts of the body work in isolation. You get an injury here, then it's going to affect how load/stress is distributed elsewhere and these biomechanics factors play a role in further injuries.

Not sure what you mean by athletes being at their genetic maximum. Everyone is at their genetic maximum. You don't acquire more genes in your lifetime in the strictest sense (genetic material does change however). Physios help rehabilitate athletes from certain injuries based on evidence and best practice guidelines. The reality is that the more serious injuries you have, the more likely you will have persistent problems down the line.
If this is true, I’m even more fucked than I realised.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Matip out for 3-4 weeks now grrr….
W

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Just have to hope Joe doesn't pick up any injuries now.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Matip out for 3-4 weeks now grrr….

Completely fucking shit that. Reckon we will see Phillips a decent amount now.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Completely fucking shit that. Reckon we will see Phillips a decent amount now.

I'd prefer Sepp to be honest.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill