Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1887760 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #4920 on: January 30, 2019, 11:13:09 pm »
He didn't have a bad game at all, but I'm questioning the idea that he should have been kept on the field. He didn't really do anything that said "the next goal is coming from him". We were impotent in midfield, and Keita and Shaqiri were a part of that. It was the right decision to take them both off, although I think Origi over Lallana would have been better (or Origi over Sturridge). But there was nothing wrong with taking Keita off.

Except for make the only real dangerous foray in to the box in the whole second half?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline SE20

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4921 on: January 30, 2019, 11:19:31 pm »
Struggling to see that he did all that well when he did have the ball. Yes, there was that one good run that should have ended with a pen. Other than that more often than not he seemed unwilling to take the ball on the half turn, and generally take chances. When he's been good, as he was against Palace away for instance, that's what seemed one of his biggest strengths - the ability to maintain the pace of passes received through good body shape and good technique, and run at defenders.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4922 on: January 30, 2019, 11:19:46 pm »
Except for make the only real dangerous foray in to the box in the whole second half?

Firmino almost scored after some nice footwork and Lallana made a very good run off the ball for when his cutback was thwarted by Maguire (who was exceptional tonight it has to be said). Not really the only foray - I'd agree with PoP that the subs were largely fine. Our control of the game was better after them.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4923 on: January 30, 2019, 11:20:05 pm »

There were two. Lallana made a wonderful run to the byline and cut the ball back near the end. It threw the entire Leicester defence. No one in Red was following up.

Lallana and Keita on the pitch at the same time would be interesting - especially if Bobby was on it as well. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #4924 on: January 30, 2019, 11:21:28 pm »
He didn't have a bad game at all, but I'm questioning the idea that he should have been kept on the field. He didn't really do anything that said "the next goal is coming from him". We were impotent in midfield, and Keita and Shaqiri were a part of that. It was the right decision to take them both off, although I think Origi over Lallana would have been better (or Origi over Sturridge). But there was nothing wrong with taking Keita off.

I would've kept him on because he looked to be growing into it a bit. I can understand taking him off but i think there is a decent case outside of his stats for keeping him on
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #4925 on: January 30, 2019, 11:22:29 pm »
I was a bit surprised he was taken off. Perhaps he was tiring. He looks so supremely balanced on the ball and after an ordinary first half was starting to make things happen in the second. We saw some of those characteristic Leipzig moves he excelled in over there, where he follows his own short forward passes into the box, confident that he can take the sharp returns in crowded areas. The penalty shout followed one off these. It was fairly clear cut and the ref made a schoolboy error. He is, maybe, one of those refs who has never played footy and doesn't quite understand what happens when a standing foot is taken from beneath a player about to shoot.

Any road the bottom line is that Keita is coming good at the right time. There is a big part for him to play between February and May. I'm sincerely sorry for those fans among us who just don't see it. It must cut their enjoyment a fair bit.
I don't always quite see eye-to-eye with you, Yorky, but I love it when I do. You describe a player like no-one else. I think the part about balance is particularly spot on, he just always seems in control of his body when he's on the ball.

I have a theory about Keita that I'd really love your opinion on...

It seems to me that he often positions himself in tight spaces, with players around him, yet calling and looking ready for the ball. Could it be the case that it's also about his teammates? Teammates who aren't really used to a player who not only can, but loves to receive the ball like that - knowing that he can turn that kind of situation to his advantage?

It feels like the confidence thing perhaps cuts both ways - he's not quite trusted on the ball in those situations because he hasn't quite shown it in matches yet, but at the same time he can't quite show it in matches until he's actually given the ball in the areas he can make the best use of it - IE when turning what seems to be tightly marked into left for dead...
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4926 on: January 30, 2019, 11:24:39 pm »
Firmino almost scored after some nice footwork and Lallana made a very good run off the ball for when his cutback was thwarted by Maguire (who was exceptional tonight it has to be said). Not really the only foray - I'd agree with PoP that the subs were largely fine. Our control of the game was better after them.

Yup sorry Firmino nearly scored after some great play by himself. We often lament our full backs or midfielders for whipping in aimless crosses so the only other way to break down a parked bus is intricate central one twos which Keita has shown is certainly one of his strong points.

Our control of the game came from the fact Leicester decided a point was enough and they were camping on the edge of their box for the last 15 minutes not through anything else. Fabinho spent most of his time as an auxiliary left back when he came on so it wasn't through any of his endeavours.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4927 on: January 30, 2019, 11:25:17 pm »
Lallana and Keita on the pitch at the same time would be interesting - especially if Bobby was on it as well. 
At the beginning of the season I was really hoping to see that combo - perhaps even with Gini at 6 - would seem a lovely potential approach to certain more defensive teams.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4928 on: January 30, 2019, 11:27:15 pm »
I don't always quite see eye-to-eye with you, Yorky, but I love it when I do. You describe a player like no-one else. I think the part about balance is particularly spot on, he just always seems in control of his body when he's on the ball.

It seems to me that he often positions himself in tight spaces, with players around him, yet calling and looking ready for the ball. Could it be the case that it's also about his teammates? Teammates who aren't really used to a player who not only can, but loves to receive the ball like that - knowing that he can turn that kind of situation to his advantage?

It feels like the confidence thing perhaps cuts both ways - he's not quite trusted on the ball in those situations because he hasn't quite shown it in matches yet, but at the same time he can't quite show it in matches until he's actually given the ball in the areas he can make the best use of it - IE when turning what seems to be tightly marked into left for dead...

I've alluded to this in two posts in the thread and it's the reason I believe he's shown he has the balls to play for us and play at a higher level to other midfielders. Fabinho does this too but just a bit further back the pitch.

I implore people to watch the game back and see how many times he offers himself for the ball in these situations and is just ignored. Players need to believe in him, it's something they're not used to and it will take time but we need to start taking advantage of it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:36:12 pm by Red85 »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4929 on: January 30, 2019, 11:29:49 pm »

Our control of the game came from the fact Leicester decided a point was enough and they were camping on the edge of their box for the last 15 minutes not through anything else. Fabinho spent most of his time as an auxiliary left back when he came on so it wasn't through any of his endeavours.

That's a fair point on Leicester. Their subs certainly reduced their attacking theat. Their gameplan did not change, though. They were camped for the 90 minutes.

I disagree on Fabinho. He played as many long passes as Keita, made more interceptions, and used his obvious height advantage to win four headers in half the minutes. As he has for most of his Liverpool career thus far, he played on the front foot to advance us up the pitch. Keita, with one exception, did not.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4930 on: January 30, 2019, 11:35:39 pm »

Granted, I think it was fair enough he was subbed, but just mainly sometimes players need something to go right for them and that moment could have been his. I still think he'll be fine, but some players take longer than others to settle. It's kind of funny that at the start of the season we were all thinking Keita would settle before Fab, but that's not the way its turned out. He needs to have more confidence in himself though, I get the impression he's really hard on himself and the longer it goes on the harder it will be for him. He just needs something to come off for him.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4931 on: January 30, 2019, 11:35:44 pm »
That's a fair point on Leicester. Their subs certainly reduced their attacking theat. Their gameplan did not change, though. They were camped for the 90 minutes.

I disagree on Fabinho. He played as many long passes as Keita, made more interceptions, and used his obvious height advantage to win four headers in half the minutes. As he has for most of his Liverpool career thus far, he played on the front foot to advance us up the pitch. Keita, with one exception, did not.

I love Fabinho, said in my first post in the thread tonight that it's him and Keita for me. He's shown more so far and I wanted him to come on, he just came on for the wrong man. Read myself and HBHR's posts above this, Keita tried to play on the front foot but wasn't given the ball. Yes there was lots of sideways and backwards passes, there is in every midfield that has nearly 700 passes. Fabinho does it, City do it etc. Keita gre in to the game and looked sharper the further it went.

Surely Fabinho for Wijnaldum keeps the stability but offers a bit more penetration and keep Keita on. The only reason I can think of to do the opposite is fitness or Klopp didn't want two 'new' midfielders on the pitch together at an important time in the game.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #4932 on: January 30, 2019, 11:40:35 pm »

I’m pretty certain you don’t have an ‘agenda’ as such. But you most certainly have a mote in your eye.

Keita has not reached the level we all hoped. But he has qualities that are not being appreciated by statisticians, and more importantly, his teammates.

Yorky’s views mirror mine - I wouldn’t have taken him off, he was looking as though he was just warming to the task. I said so immediately post match. I thought Shaqiri and Hendo were our problems attacking-wise, not Keita.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4933 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:43 pm »
I implore people to watch the game back and see how many times he offers himself for the ball in these situations and is just ignored. Players need to believe in him, it's something they're not used to and it will take time but we need to start taking advantage of it.
I'm glad this doesn't just seem to be in my own head!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4934 on: January 30, 2019, 11:44:44 pm »
I’m pretty certain you don’t have an ‘agenda’ as such. But you most certainly have a mote in your eye.

Keita has not reached the level we all hoped. But he has qualities that are not being appreciated by statisticians, and more importantly, his teammates.

Yorky’s views mirror mine - I wouldn’t have taken him off, he was looking as though he was just warming to the task. I said so immediately post match. I thought Shaqiri and Hendo were our problems attacking-wise, not Keita.

Or, you know, I'm just providing balance with my opinion. By all means, we can let this thread descend into criticising the manager for a sub, despite it demonstrably - through stats and the "mote in my eye" - giving us better control of the football match.

If you want to say keep him on instead of Lallana, haven't we just had six weeks of "he can't play left midfield" ad nauseum? Cake and eating it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:46:46 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4935 on: January 30, 2019, 11:45:14 pm »
I'm glad this doesn't just seem to be in my own head!

Its not, he shows for the ball constantly and is always looking to get involved in the play

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4936 on: January 30, 2019, 11:47:20 pm »
Or, you know, I'm just providing balance with my opinion. By all means, we can let this thread descend into criticising the manager for a sub, despite it demonstrably - through stats and the "mote in the eye" - giving us better control of the football match.
I don't think anyone's questioning Fabinho being brought on though, are they? I'd tentatively agree that Lallana on probably helped give us more control too, but I also think that taking Keita off removed one of our 3, maybe 4 players who can really magic a moment out of almost nothing. And the reason I have a lot of time for Keita is that, the good things I've seen from him, are things that very few players can do, and I'm not sure any of our other players can do, bar perhaps Salah.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4937 on: January 30, 2019, 11:47:40 pm »

Do we often disagree HBHR? I didn't think so!

The balance and poise is incredible in Keita. The closest Liverpool player he resembles here is Litmanen. The same periscope head, always erect, surveying the pitch, not needing to look at the ball all the time. That's a gift. It makes you quick.

You're probably right on the trust thing, though it's not so much that his colleagues don't trust him, and more like he doesn't yet trust himself in the Premier League. It's a bit more physical than the Bundesliga, as is well known. But your observation is surely correct. He's a player who will thrive most in tight spaces, and who has a record of using the highly populated areas of the pitch to his advantage. It stems from his unusual comfort in receiving the types of passes that most professional footballers dislike - square passes to feet while on the move: a skill that would be wasted in open spaces, but can be lethal where things are much more crowded. It's a hell of thing to collect those types of pass cleanly and maintain your momentum. Keita manages it due to his incredible balance and what looks like a natural ability to shield the ball on receiving it. He did this on a couple of occasions tonight in the second half. It was encouraging. And if you have those skills then it hardly matters that you're not built like a tank. Balance, after all, is what makes footballers strong on the ball.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4938 on: January 30, 2019, 11:53:46 pm »
Its not, he shows for the ball constantly and is always looking to get involved in the play
And perhaps this comes back to something we learned at the beginning of the season about him being quite a shy character -

Now, an introverted personality type is likely going to need some kind of affirmation they're doing the right things.
Like if he's showing for the ball and he's not getting it, his type of personality is much more likely to respond with 'why me? what have I done wrong?' Same also with little things like not getting fouls and penalties that he should. 'What did I do wrong?' No doubt he'll respond to this with professionalism in training, etc - he's not going to stop showing for it, I don't think - but he's also highly unlikely to respond to it by demanding the ball (like the way Mane took it off Matip's toes tonight, the wrong decision as it happens but the kind of wrong decision that shows confidence). You can see the difference with players like VVD, Alisson, Henderson and Fabinho - more naturally extroverted and vocal, very loud in demanding the ball, not shy if they don't get it - less likely to question themselves if they're not involved in play.

It's a combination of things but it could quickly turn the other way, too - when he feels he has that trust, when he feels comfortable and that this club and this team is truly where he belongs, he'll really shine. And when teammates realise what a weapon it is to have a player who wants the ball where he's marked - indeed seeks out the tightest spaces precisely because he can use them - then what a weapon we'll have added to this team.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #4939 on: January 30, 2019, 11:54:16 pm »
He did OK, and looked like a good player, like he usually does. Still his substitution was as little of a surprise as the posts on here trying to paint it as controversial.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4940 on: January 30, 2019, 11:56:07 pm »
And perhaps this comes back to something we learned at the beginning of the season about him being quite a shy character -

Now, an introverted personality type is likely going to need some kind of affirmation they're doing the right things.
Like if he's showing for the ball and he's not getting it, his type of personality is much more likely to respond with 'why me? what have I done wrong?' Same also with little things like not getting fouls and penalties that he should. 'What did I do wrong?' No doubt he'll respond to this with professionalism in training, etc - he's not going to stop showing for it, I don't think - but he's also highly unlikely to respond to it by demanding the ball (like the way Mane took it off Matip's toes tonight, the wrong decision as it happens but the kind of wrong decision that shows confidence). You can see the difference with players like VVD, Alisson, Henderson and Fabinho - more naturally extroverted and vocal, very loud in demanding the ball, not shy if they don't get it - less likely to question themselves if they're not involved in play.

It's a combination of things but it could quickly turn the other way, too - when he feels he has that trust, when he feels comfortable and that this club and this team is truly where he belongs, he'll really shine. And when teammates realise what a weapon it is to have a player who wants the ball where he's marked - indeed seeks out the tightest spaces precisely because he can use them - then what a weapon we'll have added to this team.

Well put mate, couldn't agree more

I'm still not worried about him at all

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4941 on: January 30, 2019, 11:58:04 pm »
I did say we don't always agree. See? We're disagreeing again! ;)

That's a lovely post, Yorky, and appreciated. The way you describe his upright play, it's exactly how I see it without being able to describe it as well, and with the extra bit of 'player's' knowledge that you bring to your posts.

You know what it suddenly reminds me of? A meerkat. Like you say, that upright stance, always alert, always scanning, never looking down at feet. Slight of body but with a strength orders of magnitude above what mere muscles would seem able to provide.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4942 on: January 31, 2019, 12:00:11 am »

I didn't either :)

I had a chat with my lad on the way home about Naby and said I'll be really interested to read/hear what others thought tonight and if I missed something he was supposed to be doing tactically that he was failing in that made him get hooked.

I admit there was a few times in the first half that he either didn't show for the ball or pointed for it to go elsewhere, but I think despite PoP's stats in the other thread he started to get involved in attacks more and I couldn't fathom what advantage there was to sub him by the time the decision was made. Certainly the horrendous weather may have impacted him early on. But he'd took it upon himself to increase his presence and improve his link-play. Such a shame he didn't get the 90.

But you guy's are right, there's an extremely technically gifted player in there.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4943 on: January 31, 2019, 12:02:50 am »

The balance and poise is incredible in Keita. The closest Liverpool player he resembles here is Litmanen. The same periscope head, always erect, surveying the pitch, not needing to look at the ball all the time. That's a gift. It makes you quick.

You're probably right on the trust thing, though it's not so much that his colleagues don't trust him, and more like he doesn't yet trust himself in the Premier League. It's a bit more physical than the Bundesliga, as is well known. But your observation is surely correct. He's a player who will thrive most in tight spaces, and who has a record of using the highly populated areas of the pitch to his advantage. It stems from his unusual comfort in receiving the types of passes that most professional footballers dislike - square passes to feet while on the move: a skill that would be wasted in open spaces, but can be lethal where things are much more crowded. It's a hell of thing to collect those types of pass cleanly and maintain your momentum. Keita manages it due to his incredible balance and what looks like a natural ability to shield the ball on receiving it. He did this on a couple of occasions tonight in the second half. It was encouraging. And if you have those skills then it hardly matters that you're not built like a tank. Balance, after all, is what makes footballers strong on the ball.

Before we signed Keita, there was a metric called ‘Packing’ that was being used when discussing the way he plays. It measures how many opposing players are bypassed via a dribble or forward pass etc, and from what I remember, Keita scores highly. He likes those tight spaces where he can turn and take out a few players with a dribble or a quick forward pass.
I just hope the rest of the squad start trusting him and playing the ball to him more often when he’s asking for it in those positions. I think you’re right, it’s about trust.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4944 on: January 31, 2019, 12:04:10 am »
I didn't either :)

I had a chat with my lad on the way home about Naby and said I'll be really interested to read/hear what others thought tonight and if I missed something he was supposed to be doing tactically that he was failing in that made him get hooked.

I admit there was a few times in the first half that he either didn't show for the ball or pointed for it to go elsewhere, but I think despite PoP's stats in the other thread he started to get involved in attacks more and I couldn't fathom what advantage there was to sub him by the time the decision was made. Certainly the horrendous weather may have impacted him early on. But he'd took it upon himself to increase his presence and improve his link-play. Such a shame he didn't get the 90.

But you guy's are right, there's an extremely technically gifted player in there.

The pitch looked weird on the tv John. Almost slushy. I think it made all our players, bar Sadio Mane, play a bit within themselves, as if fearful of making a mistake. Certainly it seemed to contribute to Keita's caution in the first half, as if he didn't trust the roll of the ball.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4945 on: January 31, 2019, 12:06:51 am »
I think you’re right, it’s about trust.
I remember reading about that, his figures were striking, weren't they? But with a personality type who isn't going to demand that kind of trust, if that makes sense. It's likely we'll also see with him a player who is amazing for long spells, but still has odd games/periods where he's playing within himself and not very quiet. It's interesting that he's best mates with Mane because I think they have some (broad) stylistic similarities but are very opposite personality types - on the pitch anyway.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4946 on: January 31, 2019, 12:16:56 am »
I think you guys have hit the nail on the head here. It’s something that’s only just cropped up - early in the season, he was getting the ball in those tight areas a lot. He looked like a deeper version of Mane at times back then - perpetual motion, always on the front foot and bouncing off and around and through players. His quick passes in those areas are a big weapon we need to harness quickly - it’ll add back some of the type of play from the half spaces we had from Coutinho.

This period of lack of confidence in him seems to have seeped into the team psyche a bit, he does still show for those balls, but doesn’t get picked out now. I think we need to start forcing him into those positions again and encouraging him to get on the front foot. Give him the encouragement and the service to really bring out his qualities. Some players need to be in perpetual motion to really influence games. Mane, Salah, Robertson are good examples in our side now. Keita is that player from midfield we *sorely* need. It’ll add another dimension to our game as soon as everyone’s confident and has trust in his abilities to be that influencer. It’s coming soon hopefully.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4947 on: January 31, 2019, 12:18:24 am »
The pitch looked weird on the tv John. Almost slushy. I think it made all our players, bar Sadio Mane, play a bit within themselves, as if fearful of making a mistake. Certainly it seemed to contribute to Keita's caution in the first half, as if he didn't trust the roll of the ball.
About 8 grounds-staff spent all of half time with snow shovels clearing the Kop end 18-yard box and a few yards outside of loads of slush to hopefully make it play better in our favour. The pitch was awful, the conditions were awful and although it's no excuse to say Leicester we really good and got at him quickly it all affect Naby I think. But that didn't stop him coming out in the second half and rolling his sleeves up a bit.
As I say, I asked my lad what did I miss that he was doing wrong that the subs would do right.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4948 on: January 31, 2019, 12:19:14 am »
I remember reading about that, his figures were striking, weren't they? But with a personality type who isn't going to demand that kind of trust, if that makes sense. It's likely we'll also see with him a player who is amazing for long spells, but still has odd games/periods where he's playing within himself and not very quiet. It's interesting that he's best mates with Mane because I think they have some (broad) stylistic similarities but are very opposite personality types - on the pitch anyway.

Mane is my favourite player because of his attitude. Even if he misses an easy chance, he doesn’t hide or drop his head, he just tries harder the next time.
It must make a big difference, your personality type, when moving to a big club like ours, learning a new language in a new country. Maybe Keita just needs a bit more time to adjust.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4949 on: January 31, 2019, 04:21:55 am »
I just wanted him to smash that ball across goal first time with his left foot.  ;D

Don't watch German football, hadn't watched him play until his first game for us, and... Got to admit I'm disappointed so far. There's clearly talent in there but for whatever reason, he's just not bringing it onto the pitch consistently enough and seems to be physically bullied a lot. Hopefully it's just a settling in issue and we'll see the best of him in a red shirt soon.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4950 on: January 31, 2019, 04:38:17 am »

You have just described the first half against Leicester mate..
I think you are spot on.. There were numerous moments in the first half where I was watching Keita and his movement when the ball was being passed side to side between Matip, VVD, Robbo and Gini..
Keita remained central, always surrounded by at least 2 Leicester players, but didn't get the ball..

At RBL, he was the main man in midfield and everything tended to go through him, hence he recieved the ball even in tight situations.. But here, he is isn't the main man yet (hopefully he goes on to become it) and as a result of that doesn't get enough of the ball.. But when he does..  :lickin
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #4951 on: January 31, 2019, 04:39:26 am »
Argh. Naby just needs to realise he can easily be the best fucking player on the pitch.  :rollseyes

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #4952 on: January 31, 2019, 04:50:44 am »
Little flashes of cleverness but he seems to be chasing the game most of the time. So many bits feel like the same action taken a bit sooner would have been brilliant. He'll get there. Seemed upset at being subbed off which I like. He'd know he has to improve by a fair bit to get there and I still have no doubts that he will.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4953 on: January 31, 2019, 05:31:14 am »
Right.

Right what?  You're using a stat disingenuously again.  Opta's definition of Key Passes and logging of Key Passes is laughable in it not being Key in anything.  And I'm almost 100% sure we even talked about this very recently.  Even if we use the most generous definition that it's a pass into a "dangerous area" that doesn't describe anything about chance creation.  You're also completely glossing over the change in game state for the last 15 minutes where Leicester was fine with the draw and gave up almost all pretense of counter attacking which is how we got our shots.

The "chances" after Keita came off:

-Robertson wild volley into the Kop off a cross
-Firmino tame shot right at the GK after an entry pass into the box
-Matip header into the Kop from a corner
-Blocked Salah free kick
-Sturridge shot from 30yrds out off a loose ball
-Mane header into the Kop from a corner
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:13:14 am by BrandoLFC »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4954 on: January 31, 2019, 06:21:25 am »
Right what?  You're using a stat disingenuously again.  Opta's definition of Key Passes and logging of Key Passes is laughable in it not being Key in anything.  And I'm almost 100% sure we even talked about this very recently.  Even if we use the most generous definition that it's a pass into a "dangerous area" that doesn't describe anything about chance creation.  You're also completely glossing over the change in game state for the last 15 minutes where Leicester was fine with the draw and gave up almost all pretense of counter attacking which is how we got our shots.

The "chances" after Keita came off:

-Robertson wild volley into the Kop off a cross
-Firmino tame shot right at the GK after an entry pass into the box
-Matip header into the Kop from a corner
-Blocked Salah free kick
-Sturridge shot from 30yrds out off a loose ball
-Mane header into the Kop from a cornert

So if a shot isn't  a "chance", what exactly do you define a "chance" as?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #4955 on: January 31, 2019, 06:28:08 am »
I agree there is a good player in there, but it's nearly February now and for what we paid we need to see a bit more. Still remain a bit underwhelmed by him.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #4956 on: January 31, 2019, 07:32:49 am »
I agree there is a good player in there, but it's nearly February now and for what we paid we need to see a bit more. Still remain a bit underwhelmed by him.

I can understand feeling underwhelmed. Countless of times I was willing him to go on a swashbuckling run or dribble. I am trying to convince myself that he was bought as a box to box player, but due to our shift in approach his role is probably more of a needle player. But I found it ironic that Klopp mentioned in his post-presser regarding our lack of changing the speed or momentum in attacking areas, because Naby together with Mane seems to be the best suited players to actually execute that. There's a fucking player in there and I know it.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4957 on: January 31, 2019, 07:50:05 am »
There's a fucking player in there and I know it.

I spent a good couple of years telling myself that about Aquilani. Sadly, when the issue is mainly between the ears, there is little guarantee that the underlying quality will win out.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4958 on: January 31, 2019, 07:56:10 am »
I don’t know if he’s doing it because confidence, but his positioning is so bad. He’s constantly in the middle of 2 opposition players,  so many times players had to go back because the other midfield option to pass too didn’t exist

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #4959 on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:03 am »
I don’t know if he’s doing it because confidence, but his positioning is so bad. He’s constantly in the middle of 2 opposition players,  so many times players had to go back because the other midfield option to pass too didn’t exist

There’s a pretty good post on the last page pointing out that positions like that might be where he wants to receive it. In traffic knowing he has the skill to turn and break lines. Might be if the team put a little faith in him in those situations we’ll see what he can do
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him