Author Topic: The Bill Shankly Story  (Read 39508 times)

Offline Superthing

• "power crazed, trigger happy, imbecile with no sense of reasoning..." who can he mean?...
  • Kopite
Re: The Bill Shankly Story
« Reply #40 on: January 6, 2009, 12:38:00 am »
Fantastic article, beautifully written.  It's things like this that make me wish I was 15-20 years older......

royhendo

« Reply #41 on: January 6, 2009, 04:09:37 pm »
That was brilliant.

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 7, 2009, 05:08:31 pm »
thanks so much.   

it's weird how as you tell the story I see shankly and the players in black and white in my head, ( cos I so rarely got to see games live ), all amidst evening mist and fog, ..... perhaps that's the fog of advancing years  .......paisley ushered in colour memory.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #43 on: January 7, 2009, 10:41:23 pm »
big up.  a great read sir and warming the cockles on a very cold night.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 07:32:39 pm »
stunning read.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Flipmode

• Main Stander
« Reply #45 on: May 6, 2011, 04:59:17 pm »
Just read this again after a while and was a sgood as the first time and the second and the third

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #46 on: May 6, 2011, 10:12:13 pm »
Brilliant post !!

Really enjoyed reading that - Thanks !!!
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Cape_Tear

• Such an amazing_tilm!
  • Kopite
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2011, 09:12:11 pm »
Brilliant, well worth the read.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline SpeedyB

• Boys Pen
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 01:31:26 pm »
Brilliant read

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2011, 01:15:13 pm »
Loved quotes from him / concerning him.

The man really was a genius.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 3, 2018, 04:09:10 pm »
Does anyone have his Chairman Mao speech on video,only ones I can find cut out before it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2018, 06:33:14 pm »
Does anyone have his Chairman Mao speech on video,only ones I can find cut out before it.

Just bumping this as I still haven't found it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2018, 12:15:46 am »
Just come across this interview on YouTube

https://youtu.be/JbMMvM5b6uo

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #53 on: March 1, 2018, 12:18:13 pm »
Just come across this interview on YouTube

https://youtu.be/JbMMvM5b6uo

Just watched it earlier today .

Offline Demo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »
Slightly different topic but has anyone been to the Shankly Memorial in Glenbuck?
I'm up that way at the end of may and I defo want to take my lad to have a look

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 1, 2020, 08:04:32 am »
To be honest, there are a number of people on here who would be far more interesting to read and far more knowledgeable about the Shankly era than me. Bill left us in '74, and I was born in 1962, so I was very young when he departed the club. I only started going to the match in 1971, so I didn't get to see as much of him in the flesh as I'd have liked to. A lot of my admiration for him came with hindsight. The problem with youth is you don't have much life experience, thus not a great deal of perspective. Basically, I was born into the era of the great man, but didn't actually understand what I was witnessing. It's like being born with a silver spoon in your mouth. You don't know any different. You don't understand just how lucky you are.

Funny enough, as a youngster I'd see Shanks getting interviewed after the usual win and I'd be a bit embarrassed. He used to say things I didn't really understand. I used to wish he'd just talk in what I considered simple terms. It was only later I realised the man was a genius. He was a philosopher, and I couldn't understand because I needed to live a little in order to understand what he was saying.

All I knew back then was the man had what I now know as charisma. A truly magnetic character. Such a positive man who made people feel good about themselves and about their city and their club. A man you would tear up tress for. A man who made you feel you were capable of pulling up trees. Although different characters, I think Klopp has some very similar attributes. Both men made the club feel 1,000 feet tall and the players and fans 10 feet tall. For me, having Bill Shankly, LFC, the Spion Kop in my corner, well it felt amazing. The quality and feel of that identity helped me through some very difficult times in my young life. The entity that was Liverpool FC just seemed so monumentally massive, and I think that came from Shankly.

As I've grown older I now understand just how valuable and rare people like him are. People who believe in you and are positive. People who bring your best out of you and push you to believe in yourself. It's a special gift, and Bill Shankly had that gift.

Even now, all these years on, I find Shankly to be like a complex piece of art. By that I sort of mean multi-layered. You uncover new things each time you look. He saw football as such a simple game, yet he was such a complex man. He was basic and no-nonsense, yet he was a philosopher with great depth. Even today, I still get goosebumps looking at the photo of him on the steps of St. George's Hall in town with his arms outstretched with the crowds behind him. Every time I see it, I get goosebumps and feel slightly emotional.

The day he retired came as such a shock. I remember Tony Wilson breaking the news to people on the streets of Liverpool at the time. Total shock on faces. Honestly, It felt like my first bereavement. It felt impossible. It felt so wrong. Disbelief, denial, sadness set in. Was it the end for us? Little did I know at the time just how solid were the foundations he'd laid down and how they'd endure...

I never actually met him, but I know pretty much everyone who did has a story they will tell anyone who will listen. My girlfriend's brother once turned up at his house and knocked on the door. He got invited in by the man himself and they had a cup of tea and talked football. Imagine that. You turn up at the house of a living legend, and he invites you in for tea. He also had time for my girlfriend and her mum on the platform of Lime Street station. The team were travelling down south and he chatted with them like old friends.

Back in the 80s a few mates and I would do the away trip to Norwich by car. A fella who came with us had all sorts of Shankly interviews on cassette tape and as it was a long, tedious trip over to Norwich we'd play these tapes. My god, the stuff I didn't really understand when I was young all of a sudden made sense. Honestly, I could listen to him all day and learn so much about football, life, people, mentality, philosophy, psychology etc...

All I know is the man was a gem. An incredibly rare diamond who made us all feel we could run through walls. A myth, a legend, yet all so very real, so authentic and so down to earth.

I know this post is a bit of a mess. To be honest, I'm struggling to articulate my thoughts. It's strange really. The only time I've ever felt like I do when I see or hear Bill Shankly was when I was in Che Guevara's mausoleum in Santa Clara, Cuba. Being stood next to things he owned, seeing things he wrote and knowing his remains were there. Such an iconic figure in world history. Different people in many ways, but both carved into history and seen as myth and reality in equal measure. You're possibly wishing you hadn't asked me now.  ;)

But anyway, he was a man who built an empire that thrives to this day. Anyone who met him was lucky. Liverpool were privileged to have had him, and I mean that as a club and a city. He saw himself as privileged to have had us too. What more can you ask, eh?

Well, I'm full of goosebumps again now.  8)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #56 on: February 2, 2020, 10:36:12 am »
Sits in here as well a reckon.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Priory Road

• Kemlynite
« Reply #57 on: September 4, 2020, 09:56:04 pm »
Sits in here as well a reckon.

Amazing. Imagine a manager saying stuff like that now.

Offline Lena11

• Boys Pen
  • Reds in my heart!
« Reply #58 on: October 5, 2020, 09:24:18 am »
Fantastic times! Thank you for the great read!

Offline helen31

• Boys Pen
« Reply #59 on: August 4, 2022, 04:04:44 pm »
so good story

Offline sum1607

• Boys Pen
    • Legal Files Software
« Reply #60 on: October 2, 2022, 04:09:15 pm »