Author Topic: Spurs V Liverpool - Pre game chat (Satdee 1/11/08 KO 17:30)  (Read 59593 times)

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
Re: Spurs V Liverpool - Pre game chat (Satdee 1/11/08 KO 17:30)
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2008, 10:05:50 pm »
i think we will sneak a win, Torres coming off the bench and scoring the winner!!

A draw wouldnt be a bad result either.

Reina

Arbeloa
Carra
Agger
Dossena

Kuyt
Gerrard
Masch
Alonso
Reira

Keane

who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2008, 10:17:22 pm »

A draw wouldnt be a bad result either.

Who's gonna score our 4 goals in the draw, mate? ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2008, 10:46:35 pm »
Who's gonna score our 4 goals in the draw, mate? ;)

;D

who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2008, 10:50:04 pm »

I predict that Bentley will give the ball away in the Liverpool half and Alonso will shoot and score from 60 yards.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2008, 10:54:13 pm »
Really hope we do em, they've been showing off since they were gifted 2 goals in the last minute by Arsenal.

Can't wait to put David Bentley back in his place the prick!.

Offline Tomo-the-red

• Main Stander
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2008, 11:37:36 pm »
Im really hoping for a win now, the standard has been set. won't be as bothered if we draw aslong as the mancs and chelsea lose or draw.
Bill Shankly about the This-is-Anfield plaque:
'This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against.'

Offline reds88

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2008, 11:45:45 pm »

Spurs got lucky in the draw with Arsenal.  Poor goalkeeping by Almunia and Arsenal switched off and got caught trying to coast to the end of the game.  Having said that Spus will play with more spine than of late.  Not easy but a game that can be won.

Offline Masch20

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Well Be Coming Down The Road!!!
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2008, 11:45:58 pm »
Plenty of crosses in towards Gomes  :)
Torres back would be a big boost
Justice For The 96
Never Forget, Never Forgive

Offline Monster Masch

• Kemlynite
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2008, 11:46:36 pm »

I remember in the final league game of last season (after we had played 4-2-3-1 successfully for about 10 games straight), Rafa fielded a 4-4-2 against Spurs at WHL with Stevie back in the middle. At the time there were question marks over the futures of Alonso and Pennant so they were both left out. We carved them up that day so if Torres is fit I would go with a 4-4-2.  Rafa indicated in his post-match interview against Pompey that he will make wholesale changes and I think he could make up to 6 changes for this one because:

1)   The team that played against Pompey clearly wasn’t our strongest 11; and
2)   I think Alonso should be given a well-earned rest after playing the majority of our games this season at a very high level and Aurelio will need his customary game off after playing 2 straight games.

I don’t want to tinker for tinkers sake, but if Torres is FULLY fit, I would like to see 6 changes from the team that beat Pompey, with Hyypia, Aurelio, Pennant, Lucas, Babel and Alonso making way for Agger, Dossena, Mascherano, Riera, Keane and Torres so that we play a 4-4-2:

Pepe
Arbeloa   Carragher      Agger           Dossena         
Kuyt   Mascherano      Gerrard           Riera
   Keane         Torres

If Torres is not fully fit and Rafa wants to ease him back in then keep Alonso in there, stick with a 4-2-3-1 and make 5 changes:

Pepe
Arbeloa   Carragher         Agger            Dossena
   Mascherano         Alonso
Kuyt            Gerrard   Riera
             Keane

The 4-2-3-1 is the same team that beat Chelsea at Stamford except Dossena in for Aurelio.

Final thoughts:
• Keane to score his first league goal at any time during the match will be paying about 2.5 to 1. I can just imagine Martin Tyler saying “was he really going to score his first league goal anywhere else?”;
• At some point in the season Arbeloa, Carra and Alonso will need to be rested/rotated to keep players fresh. It is a long season! And I’m not just talking about missing the Carling cup ties. Rafa has been able to rotate nearly everybody else successfully in league/CL games. Some of these have been forced like injuries to Gerrard, Torres and Keane but even Kuyt has sat out the odd game.
        o  Skrtel’s injury has made it harder to rest Carra;
        o  I am concerned that Degen isn’t even getting a look in so if Arbeloa was to get injured we would be woefully   short at right back. Again, with Skrtel’s injury (and Hyypia not registered for CL) we couldn’t push Carra to right back and field Agger and Skrtel;
        o  Isn’t it amazing that Alonso has gone from ‘virtually out the door’ in the Summer to playing nearly every game? Masch and Lucas being at the Olympics made this likely, but both have come back and despite our strength in the middle of the park Alonso has not been rested. Maybe Tottenham is the game to do so.

Hopefully we beat Atletico mid-week bcos that will ensure qualification and give Rafa the chance to blood youth in the CL and rest first-team players for the league, especially the 3 guys above.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2008, 11:56:43 pm »

we, at best, eek out a narrow victory.

Is there another way for us this season?

Yeah, it's called playing Everton ;D
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2008, 12:03:59 am »

I remember in the final league game of last season (after we had played 4-2-3-1 successfully for about 10 games straight), Rafa fielded a 4-4-2 against Spurs at WHL with Stevie back in the middle. At the time there were question marks over the futures of Alonso and Pennant so they were both left out. We carved them up that day so if Torres is fit I would go with a 4-4-2.  Rafa indicated in his post-match interview against Pompey that he will make wholesale changes and I think he could make up to 6 changes for this one because:

1)   The team that played against Pompey clearly wasn’t our strongest 11; and
2)   I think Alonso should be given a well-earned rest after playing the majority of our games this season at a very high level and Aurelio will need his customary game off after playing 2 straight games.

I can think of better games to rest Alonso (who's been our best mid up to now) than away to Spurs. He can have the rest of the CL group off after we beat Atletico on Wednesday.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2008, 01:55:57 am »
A good performance and a few goals please! Give me a nice birthday present- I want to see a Torres hat trick or something.  :D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline carraggeriise

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2008, 01:56:36 am »
Plenty of high and low whipping crosses in.

Every corner put under the bar 

Shoot on sight
Instant Karmas gonna get you

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2008, 03:24:43 am »
I predict that Bentley will give the ball away in the Liverpool half and Alonso will shoot and score from 60 yards.

That would be so amazing.  Talk about putting Bentley in his place.  I'm waiting for Alonso to score from his own half again.  He has such good awareness and plays with his head up.
King Kenny.

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2008, 03:44:57 am »
Can't see them parking any  bus, I mean, it'd be pointless since their bus is so short.  Expect them to come at us, only to be cut down by Masch. and the back 4.  I'd expect to see Lennon and Pavlyuchenko on the pitch for them.  Wouldn't surprise me to see Alonso taking a rest and Lucas starting again next to Masch. and SG.  Keane up front, Kuyt/Yossi out right, Riera/Babel out left in front of Aurelio.  Torres, Alonso, subs
All non-ravens are non-black.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2008, 06:35:10 am »
benitez at risk of self-destruction

So now the triumphant red tide of Liverpool threatens to engulf the brave, but perhaps still fragile, resurrection of Harry Redknapp's Tottenham. Or does it?

There is a small fear on Merseyside, but if it doesn't seem to be an immediate threat to Liverpool's superb start to the season it does have an impeccable source. It is the property of one of the great Merseyside legends, Ian St John.

St John spent the early going of the season in the warmth of the evidence that, finally, Rafa Benitez was beginning to apply to the Premier League the nous that has always distinguished his work in Europe.

Week by week, game to game, Liverpool have been looking like a real team, strong, balanced and coherent.

If full-back is still a source of some concern, and the absence of Fernando Torres is a blow no team in football could suffer lightly, St John has been hugely encouraged by the resurgence of Xabi Alonso and the sense that Benitez has at last realised the value of letting his men grow into a winning rhythm in the league.

Until Wednesday night, that was. Liverpool struggled to master a Portsmouth side stricken by the loss of Redknapp and armed with the single threat of Peter Crouch and the long ball, one that Jamie Carragher and the near superannuated Sami Hyypia seemed capable of absorbing all the way to Christmas.

St John said: "It was a fortunate victory and a very disappointing performance -- and it sent a worrying message. It made you wonder if Rafa was at it again?"

He was at rotation, the dreaded rotation, of course.

Dirk Kuyt was back in the middle, Xavier Mascherano and Robbie Keane were on the bench, along with the excellent wide man Albert Riera, a player who unlike those such as Harry Kewell and Jermain Pennant, has displayed a relentless willingness to give the team the breadth which has been such a vital part of Liverpool's best ever start in the Premiership.

The team which so brilliantly faced down Luiz Felipe's rampant and expressive Chelsea was suddenly a thing of blessed if acutely recent memory.

"This," claimed Benitez, "sends the message to players and everyone that we can change it and still win."

It is an assertion that has been betrayed many times in Liverpool's dismaying history of Premier League failure and if the victory at Stamford Bridge was a stirring endorsement of allowing players to settle into a winning groove -- and the unstaunched adrenaline of success -- what happened against Pompey told us all we already knew about what happens when such a rhythm is disrupted.

Hapless

Benitez made four changes and might well have seen the loss of two points but for the handling offence of Papa Bouba Diop 15 minutes from the end.

Naturally, he was unrepentant. Though a man of great personal charm at times, Benitez can be as obdurate as an encircled rhino.

"After the victory over Chelsea winning tonight was always going to be the main thing. We want to stay at the top for a long time. With another game in three days and then the Champions League after that, we need to manage the squad and the players."

The exasperation of St John is maybe not so hard to understand. He was, after all , involved in a title win which, under the leadership of Bill Shankly, required no more than 12 players, at a time when pitches began to resemble the trenches of the Somme by January and players of the leading clubs routinely got through 60-plus games.

Different times of course, but we are talking about late autumn rather than the rigours of winter and the exhaustions of the spring.

For a man of such achievement, Benitez's obsession with 'squad management' remains a source of deep mystery. We are not talking about minimal adjustments catering for questionable fitness or nagging injury. What we had on Wednesday was wholesale dislocation of the unit that so undermined Chelsea.

The absence of Riera's constant relevance to the shape and the momentum of the team was especially costly as Alonso, the star of the season, fought hard to find some of the authority which has been so influential -- and has enabled Steven Gerrard to operate as he does best, as a shock troop who can make dramatic interventions rather than set the tone of a performance.

Presumably, Benitez will revert to the formation that so effectively stifled Chelsea. Mascherano will seal up the midfield. Kuyt will run himself into the ground wide -- and in areas where his lack of a killing touch is more easily forgiven. Riera will go back to vitally important work. Keane will strive to re-kindle some momentum.

But then even against fragile Tottenham, starting all over again could be a problem. Spurs' David Bentley claimed he felt like Superman after the 4-4 spectacular against Arsenal. That surely represents some degree of momentum. It is perhaps their only edge but the worry for Liverpool -- and especially a shrewd witness like Ian St John -- is that it might prove to have been donated by Rafa Benitez.

Or to put it another way, has the coach of the early season mislaid the lost chord so soon after finding it?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/benitez-at-risk-of-selfdestruction-1514611.html
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2008, 06:45:10 am »
^ Not a great deal in that article. I didn't think the performance against Pompey was that bad - there was only ever one team that was going to win it and there was more created than the Stoke game. Bit hysterical really - players have to be given a rest at some point.

Can't wait for the Spurs game - it's going to be a cracker. 5-4 to the Reds!

Offline Deno

• Anny Roader
  • we have many possibilities
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2008, 06:49:12 am »
Xavier Mascherano? Learn to spell before becoming a wanna-be journalist.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2008, 06:52:46 am »
I think if Torres couldn't make the POmpey squad then he should only be on the bench.

Have the same line up as the Chelsea match. With Torres and Babel to come on an fuck them, we will win 4-0!
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline LiverpoolRedRoseFan38

• In search of an empty room to start a fight...
  • Kopite
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2008, 07:59:38 am »
We all agree spurs could be a potential banana skin game  , but lets just look at it OK new manager  but its the same team that is bottom of the league  and no disrespect to spurs if we want to be real challengers we need to show our stuff tomorrow win and win easy . Not stumble over the line like man city and wigan and portsmouth  to show the rest of the league yes maybe liverpool are the real thing this season not just flash in the pans  .
My love is for Liverpool football club but also Lancashire county cricket club , the two greatest sports teams and clubs in the world .

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2008, 08:02:39 am »
What a load of bullshit!
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2008, 08:30:26 am »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/benitez-at-risk-of-selfdestruction-1514611.html

What a shite article, Riera and Keane were both carrying knocks as confirmed by Rafa, they won't play every game every season. St John is a bell at times, he needs to wind it in and let Rafa get on with it. There are enough twats like Le Tissier, Merson and Nicholas around, Rafa doesn't need ex-players helping the journo's, leave that to people who don't have ties to our club.

Offline I Like Boobs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2008, 08:33:39 am »
This is a big game. I'd say that, other than the games against the top 4, these are the games that win the title. Away at Villa, Spurs, Everton, 'Boro etc, teams that can get a draw or nick a win on a good day.

Offline TK

• Main Stander
  • JFT96 YNWA
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2008, 08:42:26 am »
Rafa fielded a strong enough team to beat Pompey and we did - its behind us.

Spurs, will be Buoyant with the new manager and 2 decent results, they are also at home and I would imagin there will be a good show of support for them and the new manager.

This will be their down fall - if they try to win and come at us, we will cut through them and score \ win.

Our problem is teams who come for a point, we do struggle to break teams down at home. We're ok when teams try to play. Spurs will come at us, they will pay.

Different type of nerves we're all experiencing now, nerves of old are back, its not about winning to hang in on 4th or pride but something much greater - for #19 - every game is a massive must win, lets hope our support and continued encouragement pushes the lads home. 2-0 Liverpool.

Offline Eddie Curl

• Anny Roader
  • We All Dream Of A Team Of Carraghers
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2008, 08:51:43 am »
id start with sami because there keeper is rubbish at corners. whats the odds on a hyypia hat trick :)

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2008, 09:00:13 am »
Great game for us. Spurs will not park the bus and will try and out play us. They will be brought back down to earth with a bump me thinks. 3-1 with Torres coming off the bench on 75 minutes to bag a goal. If you look back on the Arsenal game they where totally outplayed by the gooners for most off the match and if not for Arsenal shitting themselves in injury time they would still be rockbottom of the league..oh wait a minute. They still are rock bottom anyways. F*ck that..5-0 to us :wave
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2008, 09:07:55 am »
Ian St John is a bigoted prick. Like that wanker who keeps calling Rafa the Spaniard on here, that'll start soon from him, ala "The Frenchmen" for Ged.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2008, 09:13:29 am »
Keane will score.....we will win 2-0  ;D
YNWA

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2008, 09:18:26 am »
I hate to start another rotation thread, but without going into the whole physics, science and stats of the whole thing.

Does anyone believe Rafa was right to rotate v Pompey, and would he be right to rotate v Spurs?

Part of the reason for our success IMO has been teh consistancy in both our team and system.
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline Balance

• Spirit Leveled.
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's no "what should be", there is only what is
  • Super Title: Raised by wolves, but taught by Aston Villa
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2008, 09:26:11 am »
Sort of game which, if we can't win, we shouldn't be thinking about winning the league. Spurs have got some dangerous attacking players but we don't have anywhere near the naivety of Arsenal and should be able to keep them out comfortably, at least from open play (Bentley set pieces will still be dangerous).

Meanwhile their 'keeper is a liability and their defence is a shambles.
"He's so un-hip that when you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas! Whoever he was...
The man ain't got no culture"

Offline LiverpoolRedRoseFan38

• In search of an empty room to start a fight...
  • Kopite
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2008, 09:32:19 am »
Sort of game which, if we can't win, we shouldn't be thinking about winning the league. .
spot on  i think if we are to be real contender we need to beat tottenham  , there not bottom of the league for nothing yes possibly in a false position but harry is not a miracle worker to turn spurs from relegation fodder to CL contender in a week  , i think a win will give liverpool a serious look like title challengers .
My love is for Liverpool football club but also Lancashire county cricket club , the two greatest sports teams and clubs in the world .

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2008, 09:38:52 am »
If only Ian St John were our manager.
Xerxes MBE

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2008, 09:38:56 am »
I hate to start another rotation thread, but without going into the whole physics, science and stats of the whole thing.

Does anyone believe Rafa was right to rotate v Pompey, and would he be right to rotate v Spurs?

Part of the reason for our success IMO has been teh consistancy in both our team and system.

He was right to rotate. Not sure if the players brought in were the best, but rotation is a must. 9 games in 4 weeks, and you can't expect the same starting 11.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2008, 09:39:21 am »

do the ends justify the means?  did we win, yes.  ergo we were right to rotate.

we will rotate against spurs as it is likely the team will be the one that beat chelsea, but is that a problem?

we only see it as a problem when supposed lesser players are coming into the starting 11

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2008, 09:40:06 am »

So now the triumphant red tide of Liverpool threatens to engulf the brave, but perhaps still fragile, resurrection of Harry Redknapp's Tottenham. Or does it?

There is a small fear on Merseyside, but if it doesn't seem to be an immediate threat to Liverpool's superb start to the season it does have an impeccable source. It is the property of one of the great Merseyside legends, Ian St John.

St John spent the early going of the season in the warmth of the evidence that, finally, Rafa Benitez was beginning to apply to the Premier League the nous that has always distinguished his work in Europe.

Week by week, game to game, Liverpool have been looking like a real team, strong, balanced and coherent.

If full-back is still a source of some concern, and the absence of Fernando Torres is a blow no team in football could suffer lightly, St John has been hugely encouraged by the resurgence of Xabi Alonso and the sense that Benitez has at last realised the value of letting his men grow into a winning rhythm in the league.

Until Wednesday night, that was. Liverpool struggled to master a Portsmouth side stricken by the loss of Redknapp and armed with the single threat of Peter Crouch and the long ball, one that Jamie Carragher and the near superannuated Sami Hyypia seemed capable of absorbing all the way to Christmas.

St John said: "It was a fortunate victory and a very disappointing performance -- and it sent a worrying message. It made you wonder if Rafa was at it again?"

He was at rotation, the dreaded rotation, of course.

Dirk Kuyt was back in the middle, Xavier Mascherano and Robbie Keane were on the bench, along with the excellent wide man Albert Riera, a player who unlike those such as Harry Kewell and Jermain Pennant, has displayed a relentless willingness to give the team the breadth which has been such a vital part of Liverpool's best ever start in the Premier League.

The team which so brilliantly faced down Luiz Felipe's rampant and expressive Chelsea was suddenly a thing of blessed if acutely recent memory.

"This," claimed Benitez, "sends the message to players and everyone that we can change it and still win."

It is an assertion that has been betrayed many times in Liverpool's dismaying history of Premier League failure and if the victory at Stamford Bridge was a stirring endorsement of allowing players to settle into a winning groove -- and the unstaunched adrenaline of success -- what happened against Pompey told us all we already knew about what happens when such a rhythm is disrupted.

Hapless

Benitez made four changes and might well have seen the loss of two points but for the handling offence of Papa Bouba Diop 15 minutes from the end.

Naturally, he was unrepentant. Though a man of great personal charm at times, Benitez can be as obdurate as an encircled rhino.

"After the victory over Chelsea winning tonight was always going to be the main thing. We want to stay at the top for a long time. With another game in three days and then the Champions League after that, we need to manage the squad and the players."

The exasperation of St John is maybe not so hard to understand. He was, after all , involved in a title win which, under the leadership of Bill Shankly, required no more than 12 players, at a time when pitches began to resemble the trenches of the Somme by January and players of the leading clubs routinely got through 60-plus games.

Different times of course, but we are talking about late autumn rather than the rigours of winter and the exhaustions of the spring.

For a man of such achievement, Benitez's obsession with 'squad management' remains a source of deep mystery. We are not talking about minimal adjustments catering for questionable fitness or nagging injury. What we had on Wednesday was wholesale dislocation of the unit that so undermined Chelsea.

The absence of Riera's constant relevance to the shape and the momentum of the team was especially costly as Alonso, the star of the season, fought hard to find some of the authority which has been so influential -- and has enabled Steven Gerrard to operate as he does best, as a shock troop who can make dramatic interventions rather than set the tone of a performance.

Presumably, Benitez will revert to the formation that so effectively stifled Chelsea. Mascherano will seal up the midfield. Kuyt will run himself into the ground wide -- and in areas where his lack of a killing touch is more easily forgiven. Riera will go back to vitally important work. Keane will strive to re-kindle some momentum.

But then even against fragile Tottenham, starting all over again could be a problem. Spurs' David Bentley claimed he felt like Superman after the 4-4 spectacular against Arsenal. That surely represents some degree of momentum. It is perhaps their only edge but the worry for Liverpool -- and especially a shrewd witness like Ian St John -- is that it might prove to have been donated by Rafa Benitez.

Or to put it another way, has the coach of the early season mislaid the lost chord so soon after finding it?

Absolute rubbish article, more rotation nonsense blah blah. Im sick of these ex-players and their rent-a-quote crap. Some of them really have it in for Rafa, like bloody Ronnie Whelan
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline I Like Boobs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 31, 2008, 09:42:28 am »
Does anyone believe Rafa was right to rotate v Pompey
He was forced into some and some were tactical. However, yes. I believe he was right to rotate.

Rotation is a part of the modern game. Ferguson rotated the same number of times when he won the league. Rotation isn't the problem, it's the quality of the players coming in.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2008, 09:43:30 am »
If only Ian St John were our manager.

Deffo.

We'd win the World Cup with him. Even though we can't enter it. Thats how much he knows
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2008, 09:44:51 am »
Sort of game which, if we can't win, we shouldn't be thinking about winning the league. Spurs have got some dangerous attacking players but we don't have anywhere near the naivety of Arsenal and should be able to keep them out comfortably, at least from open play (Bentley set pieces will still be dangerous).

Meanwhile their 'keeper is a liability and their defence is a shambles.

So Chelsea and Arsenal are out of the title race then? Good times.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:47:36 am by Dodgydon »
It is most odd.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2008, 09:47:15 am »
remember, st john comes from a time when players were imune to injuries of any sort and didnt feel tired EVER.  ::)

we are top of the league and in the healthiest position we have ever been in any premier league season. what more does he want?

penis

Offline eric_cartman

• Kopite
« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2008, 09:52:38 am »
I would like a jammy 1-0 victory because that angers rival fans more than a comfortable win. 1-0 Keane!!!
LIVERPOOL FC