Author Topic: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread  (Read 58445 times)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #600 on: March 18, 2012, 08:46:48 pm »
Miui rom is now ics
STFU and agree with me.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #601 on: March 18, 2012, 10:14:55 pm »
right men

I want to lash some dvd's that i have onto my S2. can I;

download KIES software, rip the dvd into that then sync the phone with KIES ? ?

surly thats the point of KIES and in 2012 that should be possible yeah ? or what

I think the maximum file size you can upload is 100mb.  Films would be too big i reckon
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #602 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:05 pm »
Calling CM9 users....

Has anyone flashed the latest nightly?

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #603 on: March 23, 2012, 08:21:46 pm »
I think the maximum file size you can upload is 100mb.  Films would be too big i reckon

so how about ripping a dvd into nero or similar and then dragging the file into the sd card whilst sd card is plugged into the pc ?

Online Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #604 on: March 24, 2012, 11:21:32 am »

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #605 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:10 pm »
Sometime in april for ics on the s2 with orange....

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/galaxy-s2-ice-cream-sandwich-update-to-hit-orange-in-april-50007419/
Some nice improvements! Looking forward to receiving the update. Will I have to run a update check on the phone?

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #606 on: March 25, 2012, 01:38:19 pm »
Fancy a change of phone seeing as i've had this htc desire for almost 2 years, is this the best phone on the market atm? Not looking for iphone/blackberry, i wanna stay on android.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: March 25, 2012, 02:55:06 pm »
the MIUI rom for this with ICS is buggy as hell
STFU and agree with me.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #608 on: March 25, 2012, 04:37:31 pm »
Sometime in april for ics on the s2 with orange....

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/galaxy-s2-ice-cream-sandwich-update-to-hit-orange-in-april-50007419/

What about those of use who are with Orange but yet have a Orange bloat free phone (stil has the samsung shite on there though)
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #609 on: March 25, 2012, 05:09:59 pm »
Sick of my shite Blackberry so going to order one of these. Found a decent deal at £20pm as well so why not.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #610 on: March 25, 2012, 05:18:52 pm »
Sick of my shite Blackberry so going to order one of these. Found a decent deal at £20pm as well so why not.

To be Frank ;) you'd be stupid not to
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #611 on: March 25, 2012, 05:38:16 pm »
To be Frank ;) you'd be stupid not to

Ordered it. Should come tomorrow if all goes well.

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: March 25, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »
Fancy a change of phone seeing as i've had this htc desire for almost 2 years, is this the best phone on the market atm? Not looking for iphone/blackberry, i wanna stay on android.

Yes it is mate.

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #613 on: March 25, 2012, 07:31:57 pm »
Is this the one you changed to? What's the battery life like?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #614 on: March 26, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »
Is this the one you changed to? What's the battery life like?

Garbage mate, I wasnt getting through a day with mine and that was just making a few short phone calls, texts and the odd check on facebook. After a full charge it would get to about 7pm and be down to 15% battery.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #615 on: March 26, 2012, 08:19:26 pm »
Garbage mate, I wasnt getting through a day with mine and that was just making a few short phone calls, texts and the odd check on facebook. After a full charge it would get to about 7pm and be down to 15% battery.
I have been very impressed with the free version of Juice Defender from the Market. I actually got two days out of it last week. Still an immense phone!

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #616 on: March 26, 2012, 08:55:37 pm »

Sounds pretty similar to what i'm getting out of my HTC Desire atm. What's this Juice Defender you're on about wz4jc3?

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #617 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:20 pm »
Mate had new f/w found when he attached his to Samsung Kies softwae on his pc. It's now bricked his phone he says :o

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: March 26, 2012, 11:35:49 pm »
I have been very impressed with the free version of Juice Defender from the Market. I actually got two days out of it last week. Still an immense phone!

Same here (as mentioned above). I've been using my phone quite a bit today, for twitter/fb, surfing the net, music in my car and some videos tonight, as well as various other things such as making phone calls, and currently on about 50%. Before I installed Juice Defender I would have been charging it about 3-4 hours ago.

P.S. For anyone waiting for the ICS update from O2, just found an interesting post by an O2 admin at http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=73619&start=30:

Hey everyone
I love all the excitement about Ice Cream Sandwich   Definitely the right weather for it, put it that way - the actual ice cream I had on Sunday (Snickers and vanilla choc chip in a chocolate covered cone, since you asked) was lovely!

Just wanted to address a couple of points:

KPSmithUK - You may have got the wrong idea about us 'having' to support updates. Think of it like saying we 'have' to breathe - it's important to us, we make sure it happens, it's crucial right? So are updates! There's a lot of people who love new software as much as you in the building so rest assured we're not trying to sit on any updates. Sitting on an ice cream is never a pleasurable experience. Um, so I'm told anyway...moving on. I'd also like to quickly mention that none of our call centres are in India - we're in Glasgow, Preston Brook, Leeds and Bury. Granted our Leeds colleagues may sound a bit funny but then I'm from Lancashire and ever so slightly biased... 

Paul1360 - we're working very hard to get ICS out, rest assured, even if searching for that phrase on our website comes up with no results. If you shouted out 'Who's working on Ice Cream Sandwich' in part of our Slough building you'd definitely get results. But please don't do that

I hear the weather this week's supposed to be lovely - would be a fantastic time for an ice cream sandwich, wouldn't it?

Is the bit in bold a small hint? :)
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: March 27, 2012, 12:00:50 am »
If anyone wants a screen protector for their S2, I can recommend http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WCJS28/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details.

10 pack for £2.99, free postage (took about 3 days I think). All I will say is that the picture shown isn't entirely accurate in that it doesn't go all the way around the home button (as someone pointed out in the comments), but they cover all the important bits. I wanted loads of them because I usually find it really difficult to fit them without bubbles appearing (regardless of how much I clean the screen, dust/hairs appear from somewhere), though I've not really had a problem this time.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #620 on: March 27, 2012, 12:27:09 am »
Can anyone recommend a decent case?

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:56 am »
Can anyone recommend a decent case?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GADGET-SAMSUNG-GALAXY-Executive-Leather/dp/B0056BVKW0/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1332835333&sr=8-36

I've got one similar to this. My only concern is if I didn't have a screen protector as well any cards might scratch the screen.

Main reason I bought it is because I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and when I got there realised I'd left my wallet at home. I never, ever, ever leave my phone at home, so having my cards in this case means I never leave them at home :)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: March 27, 2012, 10:37:21 am »
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #625 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:09 pm »
Cheers fellas. Got my phone today wonder if anyone can help we with a few things (Bad android noob)

Is there anyway of changing the lock screen to something else? Don't know if it's on app store or anything?

Also is there a way of making the stuff like calendar half one of the home screen pages instead of just the app link? Again don't know if its on the app store or anything.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #626 on: March 27, 2012, 09:50:53 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&clk_rvr_id=327504942329&ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3AOU%3AGB%3A1123&item=320768509270

Best one I have found.

Cheap and protects the phone nicely.
I have the clear version of this case, and it's very nice. Probably the best I have in terms of protecting all around the phone.

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #627 on: March 27, 2012, 10:02:26 pm »
Just ordered mine tonight. Should be here Thurs/Fri hopefully, cannot wait!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:13 pm »
anyone into custom roms i suggest avoiding the ICS version of MIUI big time

i used it for a week, had to wipe and go back to gingerbread

a few minor issue i had

random voice drop out, i'd be talking to someone then they couldn't hear me, required reboot
unlocking phone turned on the LED light and it wouldn't go off without reboot
sending a text message, it sent every message twice
half my apps didn't work on it
the phone regularly shut itself down
the music app when i paused it shut down the phone

so just a few 'minor' things ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #629 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:14 pm »
Can you only have the standard ring tones, as ring tones?

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #630 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »

Nope - Can have anything you want

How are you trying to set your tones?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:35 pm »

You can have what you want. Download zedge for thousands of free ones
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #632 on: March 27, 2012, 11:34:50 pm »
You can have what you want. Download zedge for thousands of free ones

I've got the music on my phone. Was trying to do it in settings rather than in Music.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: March 27, 2012, 11:47:34 pm »
Cheers fellas. Got my phone today wonder if anyone can help we with a few things (Bad android noob)

Is there anyway of changing the lock screen to something else? Don't know if it's on app store or anything?

Also is there a way of making the stuff like calendar half one of the home screen pages instead of just the app link? Again don't know if its on the app store or anything.

Lock screen - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=go+locker&c=apps

For the calendar, hold on the home screen you want to add it to, then choose widget, scroll across to calendar and you can add it as different sizes. I currently have my calendar filling one screen.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: March 27, 2012, 11:49:29 pm »
Got upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich on mine today (O2), quite liking it up to now, though taking me a while to find all the new features.

I do quite like the new face detection on the lock screen - works surprisingly quickly.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #635 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:58 pm »
Lock screen - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=go+locker&c=apps

For the calendar, hold on the home screen you want to add it to, then choose widget, scroll across to calendar and you can add it as different sizes. I currently have my calendar filling one screen.

Cheers mate.

I've got an O2 sim card but using my Orange one in it. How to I update to ICS? May as well do it now before I learn all the new stuff on Gingerbread.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:45 am »
Cheers mate.

I've got an O2 sim card but using my Orange one in it. How to I update to ICS? May as well do it now before I learn all the new stuff on Gingerbread.

If you haven't done so already, you first need to install the Samsung Kies software on your computer (http://www.samsungapps.com/about/onPc.as).

Once that's installed, put your O2 sim in (orange haven't released ICS yet), then connect your phone by USB and open Kies on your PC. Remember to backup first (can do this through Kies also, there is an icon along the top). It should automatically popup that an update is available and it will guide you through the upgrade. Took about 5 minutes on mine (once it got going, failed a few times on downloading the update as I think everyone was doing it at the same time). Just make sure the phone is charged to at least 70%, and don't unplug the cable until you're told to (i.e. after installation).

I'm assuming your S2 is unlocked to any provider as you can use both Orange and O2 sims in it? I'd assume that the orange sim will still work after you've upgraded, but don't know for certain.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #637 on: March 28, 2012, 12:38:25 am »
If you haven't done so already, you first need to install the Samsung Kies software on your computer (http://www.samsungapps.com/about/onPc.as).

Once that's installed, put your O2 sim in (orange haven't released ICS yet), then connect your phone by USB and open Kies on your PC. Remember to backup first (can do this through Kies also, there is an icon along the top). It should automatically popup that an update is available and it will guide you through the upgrade. Took about 5 minutes on mine (once it got going, failed a few times on downloading the update as I think everyone was doing it at the same time). Just make sure the phone is charged to at least 70%, and don't unplug the cable until you're told to (i.e. after installation).

I'm assuming your S2 is unlocked to any provider as you can use both Orange and O2 sims in it? I'd assume that the orange sim will still work after you've upgraded, but don't know for certain.

Sound I'll do it tomorrow.

Yeh it's unlocked but using the orange sim for now as it's been my number for 5 years and has better stuff (mb texts etc)

Cheers mate.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #638 on: March 28, 2012, 10:20:42 am »
So ICS is officially out for the S2 ?

is it worth upgrading then ? dont want all the teething bugs that could be in the first edition like

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #639 on: March 28, 2012, 12:20:21 pm »

Did that not also put O2 bloatware on your phone?