Author Topic: RAWK Album of the Year 2018- Your Queen is a Reptile - Sons of Kemet  (Read 15165 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

With no takers to run this years RAOTY , two brave... some would say foolhardy,  men have stepped forward to keep alive one of the most prestigious music awards available to the public vote...Me and Chip Evans...though looking at some of the winners, its credibility has taken a few knocks.

Thanks to Chip  who has volunteered to do the number crunching armed with his old school Casio calculator...He’s clearly the brains of the operation, Im just here to chivvy things along.

2017 saw the triumph of War On Drugs….but hopefully we might get a left field surprise this year...I can assure you no Russian influence will come to bear on the vote.

The rules are the same as always. Okkervil created something pretty special so why fix something if it isn't broken.

Over to Okkervil for the rules:

There is still plenty of time to formulate lists but *Voting will close on Friday, 11th January 2019 at 23:59* ...

Remember, all types of music, styles and genres are welcome 

So without further ado...

The Rules
1. You can list as many albums as you like but only the top 10 will score points and they must be in order.
2. People that list less than 10 albums will still score points. However 5 albums or less will result in a restricted points tally for that list, but a number one album will always score maximum points.
3. For the most part no live or compilation albums.
4. Lists can be amended/changed right up to the closing date. If you replace an album on your list with another please let me know what album has been removed. Or if you shimmy the order of your list about, let me know what albums have moved positions.
5. After some debate  EP’s have been banned, but with so much variance in changes in music formats should we embrace a wider choice? Are we open to relax this ruling? Some Ep’s contain more music than an album...similar Digital downloads provide another element of choice. Its open to debate, representations to this rule change will be taken on board. Me and Chip will adjudicate.

A little more on eligibility...
Albums must have a 2018 UK release date. You can check Amazon for release dates if you are not too sure.
Compilations and live albums are banned if they are a collection of previously released stuff but are admissible otherwise. Re-issues are frowned upon and will result in referral to the third umpire..i.e Me.

Scoring
The Formula One style scoring system will remain in place for RAWKites selections. People's top 10 albums will score as follows:- 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1.

Discussion
Is to be encouraged. Some people get a bit precious about their choices so be nice, but at the end of the day what are you on RAWK for if it's not to snipe at other RAWKites with scorn and derision?  In particular feel free to stick any magazine or website Top 10's, Top 50's etc on here as they may help jog our memories.

If your a lurker and don't normally contribute to the ‘...In music’ thread please feel free to vote.

And the roll of honour

2017:   War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
2016:   David Bowie - Blackstar
2015:   Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2014:   The War On Drugs - Lost In A Dream
2013:   Arcade Fire - Reflektor
2012:   Chromatics - Kill for Love
2011:   PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
2010:   Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
2009:   Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
2008:   Kings of Leon - Only By The Night
2007:   The National - Boxer
2006:   Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:01:30 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Album of the Year 2018....Get Voting!!
« Reply #1 on: November 6, 2018, 02:19:48 pm »
Thanks fellas for setting this up. Must start thinking about my list.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2018, 03:05:37 pm »
Magic! Highlight of the year.  Thanks, FB!

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2018, 03:48:48 pm »
In early November?

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2018, 05:48:46 pm »
In early November?

No Votes for you.

Yours,
The Management.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2018, 05:50:08 pm »
No Votes for you.

Yours,
The Management.

Well you didnt waste any time letting the power get to your head.
---Rilke

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2018, 06:02:24 pm »
Well you didnt waste any time letting the power get to your head.

Yello card for you.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2018, 11:00:42 pm »
Yello card for you.

Early! ;D

Am split on the whole EP thing. Yeah then no then yeah then no. Think people should chuck in their favourite tracks/songs/etc too - just leave them out the count - would be good to hear about. Think everyone would have a favourite tune at least!

Favourite musical moment of the year (so far) was the release of the new John Coltrane album (Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album). Which now counts? ;) (I may count it and will be included if I do ;D). Nearly 60 years old and thought lost. Up there with hearing the Velvet Underground acetate, or Death, or Zamrock (a personal wtf!? moment). It's magical too... but the bass lines... the bits he ain't playing... special music.

My music listening year took a pounding after Mark E Smith died, because that's mainly what I've been listening to for a good long while, and fuck it, it was difficult. Getting back on the horse, but must get the Levitate reissue. 3xlp. That's been my favourite reissue. My song of the year is probably Noel's Chemical Effluence by The Fall if numbers of times listened to was being counted, otherwise I'd pick a tune from my album of the year. Any one of them. Throw a curveball in as my vote for all I care. Y'know the one - the one that doesn't even begin to describe what the others are like... those.

Favourite Live album this year has been PigPile by BigBlack. Fucking catharsis this afternoon. 'one, two... fuck you!'

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RhNdLbGPCbg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RhNdLbGPCbg</a>

Fucking catharsis now too.

« Last Edit: November 6, 2018, 11:58:54 pm by Filler. »

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2018, 11:17:10 pm »
Cant be that time already surely. I've got a lot more listening to do.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2018, 11:26:03 pm »
Nobody is going to vote before Shit and Shine release their new album either.

Also... dozens of albums that may require a re-listen (plus the 300 odd you meant to) before voting. Re-jig memories or something. A reminder?

My number one is by Sons of Kemet. Should have won the Mercury Prize. Sun Ra himself could have revealed himself as not actually dead and you'd be hard put to kick it off my top spot.  Definitely give that a go. Especially now.

« Last Edit: November 6, 2018, 11:27:43 pm by Filler. »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2018, 11:28:33 pm »
Yello card for you.

*Throws up arms in disgust*
---Rilke

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 8, 2018, 05:52:04 am »
I'lI'll nominate as number one and only, Ghost's Prequelle. Quality album, quite pop-ish but fun to listen to from beginning to end (i'd probably cut the second instrumental a bit but that's it).

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 8, 2018, 10:06:22 am »
Am only a few mins in, but this could be included in a Best Finds 2018 category. Will reserve judgement to the end but the opener is fantastic. Driving motorik beats + synth.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GUiVkFQzIlw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GUiVkFQzIlw</a>

Besombes Rizet : Pôle (French/1975)

Could be fun to add a top 10 (or top whatever) of best finds from the near or distant path. May include one myself (memory permitting). Not to be included in the RAOTY poll obv.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 11:05:23 pm »
Could someone post up a list of all the albums I meant to listen to this year or heard once and meant to go back to? Cheers :thumbup

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 10:38:30 pm »
Already know my no. 1. Easiest one in years for me. Just need to work out the other nine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 07:49:39 am »
Rough Trades Albums of the year

www.roughtrade.com/gb/albums-of-the-year-2018

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 01:15:17 pm »
Resident's Albums of the year in here:

https://www.resident-music.com/annual

Lots of aggregate scores here:

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/

I'm still working on mine, finding it really hard to pick some, there's like a few similar albums from various genres and picking which one from each is proving tough.

Also my list is as usual looking awfully male-centric.

Trying to scoop up a few last minute listens to stuff I may have missed.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 03:45:28 pm »
Radio 6..I expect the Idles to loom large here this year..or maybe not!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/6-music-album-of-the-year

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 07:11:55 pm »
Pusha T for me, very probably, at the minute anyway. Love Daytona. Kanye West's a brilliant maker of music when he lays of the Trump adoration and leaves the autotune in its box. Also liked stuff by Sleep, Screaming Females, Amen Dunes, Hot Snakes, Rolling Blackouts, Daniel Avery, Rival Consoles, Noname and a fair few others that have slipped my mind.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 06:51:15 pm »

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 09:24:09 am »
Pusha T for me, very probably, at the minute anyway. Love Daytona. Kanye West's a brilliant maker of music when he lays of the Trump adoration and leaves the autotune in its box. Also liked stuff by Sleep, Screaming Females, Amen Dunes, Hot Snakes, Rolling Blackouts, Daniel Avery, Rival Consoles, Noname and a fair few others that have slipped my mind.

Missed that Pusha T record.  It's really, really good - thanks!

I'm putting this here as a placeholder cause I'm remembering albums that I've forgotten about etc

Sons Of Kemet
Hot Snakes
Sleep
Dwarfs of East Agouza
Kamasai Washington
Julia Holter
Oneida
Bambara
Melting Hand
Sunwatchers
Malkmus
Hen Ogledd
Shopping
Flasher
Beak>
Steve Hauschildt
Parquet Courts
Alexander Tucker
Daniel O'Sullivan
Guy One
Bonny Doon
Retep Folo
Messthetics
Hilary Woods
Dungen
Field Music
Redneck Manifesto
Tropical Fuck Storm
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:21:28 am by Chip Evans »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 09:53:17 am »
In particular feel free to stick any magazine or website Top 10's, Top 50's etc on here as they may help jog our memories.

One of my favourite record shops, Left for Dead in Shrewsbury (I'll often call in when I'm visiting my folks in Mid Wales), have shared their Top 10:

1.   Tropical Fuck Storm
2.   Idles
3.   Oh Sees
4.   Parquet Courts
5.   Rolling Blackouts CF
6.   Dick Stusso
7.   Unknown Mortal Orchestra
8.   Phantastic Ferniture
9.   RVG
10. Beak>

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 4, 2018, 04:21:27 pm »
The Quietus list is out -> http://thequietus.com/articles/25755-albums-of-the-year-2018. Most I've heard on one of theirs I reckon

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 4, 2018, 08:20:08 pm »
Just been totting up mine. It's 90% extremely boring white fellas with guitars and the occasional synth. Tasteful like a shit dinner party that you want to leave early cos the host hasn't got any drugs in. Get a takeaway on the way home because the hummus had run out. But the kebab shop has run out of chilli sauce. Soz abar tha  ;D

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2018, 09:49:28 pm »
Christ, looking at some of the lists people have put up and some of the reviewers' lists is hitting home just how much I've missed this year (have been trying to listen to some of my older stuff a bit more and also spend less money...).

Would people say it's been a good year on the music front, generally? From what I've listened to it's been a class year for electronica, a so-so year for hip hop and a pretty subpar year for Americana, after a bumper couple of years in that genre. Also, fuck Baby Shark. With bells on. Quite liked that Kicky Kick Kick song though.

Missed that Pusha T record.  It's really, really good - thanks!

You're very welcome, sir. Loads on your list that I've heard good things about, and should probably try and get around to hearing at some stage, as with many other suggestions in this thread - I feel an illegal downloadathon coming on!

Intrigued to see which album RAWK reveres above all others this year. Thank fuck Drug War haven't released a new hour's worth of sub-Tom Pettyesque MOR droney burblings that we can all get behind/rage at (only messing WOD fans, I actually don't mind them really), it at least keeps it mildly interesting.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 5, 2018, 03:38:47 pm »
I will be drawing my top ten from the vinyl Lps Ive bought this year ( list below)..Ive had about about 5 'nailed on' number ones through the year...about half this list could get in my top ten...but gonna just decide on the day...Im done buying for year , but who knows there might be a 96th minute winner ;D

Yves Tume - Life In THe Hands of Love
Kuruangbin - Con Todo El Mundo
Hedd Ogledd - Mojic
Iggy & Underworld - Tea Time Dub
Louis Cole - Time
TVAM -  Pyschic Data
Sunflower Bean - Twentytwo in Blue
Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth
Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile
Beak - >>>
First Aid Kit - Fireworks
Nils Frahm - All Melody
Hookworms - Microshift
Altin Gun - On
Jason Durado - The Horizon Just Laughed
Gweno - Le Kov
Amen Dunes - Freedom
Joan As Police Women - Damned Devotion
Low - Double Negative
Blood Orange - Negro Swan
Young Fathers - Cocoa Butter
Yo Le Tengo - Theres a Riot Going On
Jon Hopkins - Singularity
Slift  - La Plante Inexplore
Django Django - Marble Skies

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 5, 2018, 03:40:48 pm »

Intrigued to see which album RAWK reveres above all others this year. Thank fuck Drug War haven't released a new hour's worth of sub-Tom Pettyesque MOR droney burblings that we can all get behind/rage at (only messing WOD fans, I actually don't mind them really), it at least keeps it mildly interesting.

Its usually the common denominator....but think The Idles , Low and Sons of Kemit to be in with a shout....about time RAOTY got hip again ;)

Online Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 02:49:08 pm »
OK - I'll go first

1. Greta Van Fleet - Anthem of a peaceful army
2. Richard Thompson - 13 rivers
3. Primordial - Exile amongst the ruins
4. Half Man Half Biscuit - No-One Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your Fuckin' Hedge Cut
5. Stick in the wheel - Follow them true
6. Mary Gauthier - Rifles and rosary beads
7. Karine Polwart - Laws of motion
8. Judy Dyble - Earth is sleeping
9. Orphaned Land - Unsung prophets and dead messiahs
10.Muse - Simulation theory

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 02:56:29 pm »
OK - I'll go first

4. Half Man Half Biscuit - No-One Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your Fuckin' Hedge Cut

Your RAOTY 'Ive voted , have you? badge is in the post! ;D

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 03:03:34 pm »
OK - I'll go first

'Bout time someone voted. Enjoyed that Stick In The Wheel album.

Online Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 03:10:58 pm »

Yeah - I saw (and recorded) them in Southport in October - they were very good.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 03:14:36 pm »
Yeah - I saw (and recorded) them in Southport in October - they were very good.

I was sick when they were over here recently.  Apparently the show was fantastic. 

Online Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2018, 03:23:17 pm »
I was sick when they were over here recently.  Apparently the show was fantastic. 

There were only about 60 people at the Southport show and the band got stuck on the M6 and only arrived 30 minutes before the show. They put on a pretty good performance under the circs.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 03:47:58 pm »

Was gonna put mine up this week, but gonna give couple of new purchasers time to bed in before I commit.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:54:47 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 03:48:42 pm »
Well one entry and I'm already googling new acts I haven't heard of.

Great job guys!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 04:27:13 pm »
I’ll go second.

1. Father John Misty - God’s Favorite Customer
2. Insecure Men - Insecure Men
3. IDLES - Joy As An Act Of Resistance
4. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Hope Downs
5. Shame - Songs Of Praise
6. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
7. Ezra Furman - Transangelic Exodus
8. Arctic Monkeys - Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino
9. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
10. Half Man Half Biscuit - No one Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your Fucking Hedge Cut

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2018, 05:50:42 pm »
Not on an album, but surely the best track of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhZ4vt7xxs0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:50:57 pm by Red in Korea »
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2018, 07:54:55 pm »
Not on an album, but surely the best track of the year

https://www.youtube.com/v=IhZ4vt7xxs0

Link is dead! (hanging on tenterhooks here!)

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2018, 08:03:51 pm »
http://www.getintothis.co.uk/2018/12/getintothis-top-100-albums-of-2018-a-year-in-review/

Featuring the penmanship of one the RAWK music thread's finest.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2018, 09:13:53 pm »
I’ll go second.

1. Father John Misty - God’s Favorite Customer
2. Insecure Men - Insecure Men
3. IDLES - Joy As An Act Of Resistance
4. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Hope Downs
5. Shame - Songs Of Praise
6. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
7. Ezra Furman - Transangelic Exodus
8. Arctic Monkeys - Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino
9. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
10. Half Man Half Biscuit - No one Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your Fucking Hedge Cut
The fuck, Andy!? Where's Daytona? It's probably your fault I got into Pusha T in the first place....

Kidding, obviously. Tis a class list. Nice to see Ezra Furman get a look in, I'd almost forgotten about that album but listened to it loads when it came out. Also quite liked the Kacey Musgraves record. That Slow Burn's a lovely lititle tune. Learnt to play it for my missus who really likes it, but it sounds a bit odd in my Leonard Cohenesque north walian burr.