Author Topic: Frank Herbert's Dune- appreciation thread  (Read 7156 times)

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
Re: Frank Herbert's Dune- appreciation thread
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2018, 08:39:14 pm »
So, we have our Paul Atreides and Lady Jessica.

https://www.superdry.com/mens/jackets/details/69810/canadian-down-ski-parka-jacket--black

https://filmschoolrejects.com/rebecca-ferguson-dune-remake/

Can not wait for this movie.
Hopefully it's late 2020, rather then 2021.

Not sure about your first link there pal!  ;D
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2018, 09:11:01 pm »
Not sure about your first link there pal!  ;D

;D
Very strange...
Lemme fix that.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 10:06:07 am »
I'm not sure if the costumes in this film are going to work

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »
What do you mean?
Herbert was fairly scarce in detailed descriptions of clothes and tech - so it’s really a blank canvas for the director to create a good art direction style - which I’m sure Villeneuve will get right. There is rich diversity to explore between many houses, Fremen, Bene Geserit and so on.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2018, 05:37:04 pm »

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2018, 07:05:51 am »
[emoji16]

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2019, 01:44:34 pm »
DUNE RECRUITS DAVE BAUTISTA AND STELLAN SKARSGARD

So we have our Baron Harkonnen and Beast Rabban.
Casting is looking immense so far, absolutely can't wait for this.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/denis-villeneuves-dune-recruits-dave-bautista-and-stellan-skarsgard-and-more-movie-news/

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 4, 2019, 07:46:34 pm »
Casting is incredible so far with Oscar Isaacs and Javier Bardem joining.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/2/18207358/dune-actors-cast-film-franchise-timothee-chalamet-zendaya

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2020, 12:49:16 pm »
In what is the most important news of the day, first pics of upcoming movie have been released.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

Looks fucking brilliant.
Could not be more excited for this if I tried.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2020, 12:58:32 pm »
Can't wait, it looks epic. Denis Villeneuve is the man.  8)

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2020, 01:06:29 pm »
Javier Bardem as Stilgar looks fantastic, as do all of those images. This will be awesome, surely!

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2020, 01:08:21 pm »
Yeah, he was born to make this movie, loves the books, is a methodical and creative director and can build a world like no other working at the moment. I'm also loving his call to make Liet Kynes a woman, just fucking because. From reading between the lines it seems that Warner Brothers have agreed to make two movies to cover the book - seemingly no matter how well it fares in the box office - which is great. I can't see it tanking, too many people are into the books, but also can't see it being a major box office hit. Will probably do bit better than Blade Runner - which was a moderate success.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2020, 01:13:28 pm »
Finally. :)

Loved Lynch's version as well,despite the many flaws that movie had 'it' imo.

Cast and director look top notch,hope this will be worthy of Herbert's work.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2020, 01:13:43 pm »
Not only is it being made in two parts mate but Dune: The Sisterhood which will be set in this Dune film universe will be coming to HBO in the next couple of years. They I think want to launch the first film and then make the show.  :D

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dune-sisterhood-tv-series-a-go-at-warnermedia-1217286

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2020, 01:31:31 pm »
Not only is it being made in two parts mate but Dune: The Sisterhood which will be set in this Dune film universe will be coming to HBO in the next couple of years. They I think want to launch the first film and then make the show.  :D

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dune-sisterhood-tv-series-a-go-at-warnermedia-1217286

Thanks for the info mate,hopefully they manage to make this one feel more unified and not so crammed as Lynch's movie,a 2 parter sounds like a good idea for the material.

I didn't even have any idea there were plans to make a Dune remake so very excited about this!

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2020, 02:18:12 pm »
One is rather excited. 
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2020, 10:05:11 pm »
If you get a chance, check out the 'Quinn's Ideas' channel on YouTube. Awesome Dune content, and a nice primer if it's been a while since reading the books!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2021, 02:34:29 pm »
DUNE Trailer is out. October 22nd release.

https://twitter.com/dunemovie/status/1418194113778774016

Teaser poster

Character posters

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:37:19 pm by Samie »

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2021, 03:06:23 pm »
Really hope this turns out to be at least decent,fingers crossed!

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2021, 07:07:24 pm »
Got unrealistically high hopes for this but I'm ready to be disappointed ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2021, 07:22:55 pm »
Is the book worth a read?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2021, 07:25:43 pm »
It’s interesting because it’s so largely based on the mythology of Islam…. (A bit like the chronicles of narnia were on Christianity.

Left me a bit ‘meh’ overall though, but I’m not a huge fan of sci-fi books like this so if you’re more of a sci-fi fan give it a go.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2021, 08:00:14 pm »
It’s interesting because it’s so largely based on the mythology of Islam…. (A bit like the chronicles of narnia were on Christianity.

Left me a bit ‘meh’ overall though, but I’m not a huge fan of sci-fi books like this so if you’re more of a sci-fi fan give it a go.

Thanks mate, will add it to the list!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2021, 08:03:37 pm »
The first two books are great after that Frankie boy goes totally off the deep end and he was already deep.  ;D

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2021, 08:04:11 pm »

I think so.

To Tepid's point, it depends on what your interests in reading are. I'd contend the clamor around Dune (at least for me) is less about the sci-fi aspects and more the world (or universe) building aspects that Frank Herbert is truly exceptional at. As others have mentioned, the created world matches the imagination of Lord of Rings and Tolkien. The desert does definitely lend itself to certain mythologies of Islam and Herbet was also a bit of an environmentalist, which reflects in the planet building parts of the story.

I'm a fan but admit that I've only read the three original books and not anything else.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2021, 08:05:47 pm »
Wow, what a trailer. Have to see this in Imax.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2021, 08:09:33 pm »
I think so.

To Tepid's point, it depends on what your interests in reading are. I'd contend the clamor around Dune (at least for me) is less about the sci-fi aspects and more the world (or universe) building aspects that Frank Herbert is truly exceptional at. As others have mentioned, the created world matches the imagination of Lord of Rings and Tolkien. The desert does definitely lend itself to certain mythologies of Islam and Herbet was also a bit of an environmentalist, which reflects in the planet building parts of the story.

I'm a fan but admit that I've only read the three original books and not anything else.
Yes, agree.  For me, the problem I have with sci-fi is actually the world building itself….  But I’m a contrary bugger ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2021, 12:28:13 am »
Fair enough Tepid ;D

The one thing I do not like about this trailer (and most trailers these days) is that it's too spoilery. I felt like the whole story was told in that trailer - keep something for the cinema!!

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2021, 12:44:39 am »
I bloody love Rebecca Ferguson.

Also glad to see Hans Zimmer teaming up with Villeneuve again.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2021, 01:31:31 pm »
Fair enough Tepid ;D

The one thing I do not like about this trailer (and most trailers these days) is that it's too spoilery. I felt like the whole story was told in that trailer - keep something for the cinema!!

To be fair to them, it has been over 50 years since the original release of the book, I think the ship has sailed on spoilers just a tad.  ;D

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2021, 03:35:59 pm »
Villeneuve is the best major director working today, this will be awesome, the same as nearly every film he's made, actually every film, even August 32nd on Earth.  He has a singular vision and luckily hasn't been harmed for making 2049 (which is also brilliant).  David Lynch is my favourite director, I kind of liked his Dune in a strange way, it wasn't the book or anything, but one of the reasons he failed was because he made it too early, he wasn't a fully shaped filmmaker, the beautiful oddity that was Eraserhead and then The Elephant Man, then he was handed one of the best Sci-Fi novels ever written.  It came too soon.  It's the right time for Villeneuve.  I'll be amazed if it isn't brilliant.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 7, 2021, 12:27:42 pm »
Reviews are rolling in slowly, mostly just from critics who got the chance to see the movie at the Venice Film Festival. It's very much what I expected. Spectacular, grandiose, dry and dark with numerous complaints about movie 'running out of steam' towards the end (basically an issue that could not be avoided due to the way the story is structured) and also complaints raised on lack of emotional weight in characters (very much a stample of Villeneuves work, his characters are seldom trasferring feelings well onto the screen). Most stupid complaint I read was from a very harsh review on Indiewire - stating that once you see the worms for the first time they lose their impact. Funny that, considering that in books they pretty much become public transport vehicles by end of book one. I+m glad that Villeneuve seemingly refused to compromise on his vision of a book split in half, but to be honest, I'm not very hopeful the second part will ever see the light of day.